Ninpocho Chronicles

Ninpocho Chronicles is a fantasy-ish setting storyline, set in an alternate universe World of Ninjas, where the Naruto and Boruto series take place. This means that none of the canon characters exists, or existed here.

Each ninja starts from the bottom and start their training as an Academy Student. From there they develop abilities akin to that of demigods as they grow in age and experience.

Along the way they gain new friends (or enemies), take on jobs and complete contracts and missions for their respective villages where their training and skill will be tested to their limits.

The sky is the limit as the blank page you see before you can be filled with countless of adventures with your character in the game.

This is Ninpocho Chronicles.

Current Ninpocho Chronicles Time:

A Meeting of Friends [PotK]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suzuki Setsu

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Maru Maru, Middle District
De Civitate Attonbitus, Central Kaminari no Kuni
1230 Hours

KazuhikoProfile_zps42279143.jpg

cloud_chuunin.gif

Kichida Kazuhiko​

When Kazuhiko arrived back in Maru Maru, he felt a wave of nostalgia. He hadn’t been back to the town in ages. It seemed that Karachi had lost a bit of his influence in the town since he had sent Masao, Kaoru, and Shindou to retrieve the Shogun’s ring. Which was all well and good, but it seemed that there was now a power struggle between Karachi and one of his former subordinates. Sakaki, Kazuhiko didn’t know if he would be an improvement over Karachi, and the official stance of Kumogakure was to let the situation play out. Kazuhiko didn’t agree so he’d been keeping tabs on the situation, usually on his own time. Trying to subtly get both crime lords to destroy each other was the goal. If Kumogakure was seen as intervening, then they would be expected to put down every petty crime lord in Lightning Country.

But Kazuhiko knew that not doing anything wasn’t an option either. It would only generate more people like Kaguya and Haikuno. People who want to change things for the better. People who need only a push in one direction or another to either become a valued and hard-working ally, or an equally valued and hard-working enemy. The values and goals of the Kingslayers didn’t bother him too much, in fact, he agreed with most of their agenda. Promoting people based on merit instead of birth, eliminating corruption. Noble goals, indeed. And had the civil war not occurred, Kazuhiko would have been in full support of their actions. However, the war had torn the country apart, and it was only just beginning to heal. Yet the actions of the Kingslayers threatened to throw the nation back into chaos. Overthrowing the system would be a bad idea. Kazuhiko had opted for a more gradual approach to change. From within the system. Unfortunately, for hotheads like Haikuno, that was too slow. Idealistic, impatient, and capable, it was no wonder that the Kingslayers had been able to easily recruit him into their ranks.

Kazuhiko saw the shop he had blown apart the last time he was here. When he had been idealistic and impatient as well, he had just thought to tackle problems head on and deal with the consequences later, like escaping from a building by blowing a hole in the wall with a torrent of water. Haikuno was with him at the time as well as Kaguya. Perhaps what drove him to such lengths to meddle in both of their lives was that he was looking at reflections of himself, what he might been given different circumstances.

He sat down at a café across the way from it, waiting for Haikuno to arrive. A waiter brought him a glass of water and a newspaper. Reading it to while away to time, it seemed Karachi’s influence in the area had lessened thanks to the heist of the train salvage. Sakaki, his former partner, had rebelled and was waging a hidden war for control of the city. This was good, both sides would be heavily drained and hopefully the city guard would be able to root out both sides. In addition to meeting Haikuno, Kazuhiko hoped that with both of them present, he would be able to provoke the rivals into doing something drastic. If he was attacked as a member of Kumogakure, he would be able to retaliate with little to no repercussions. And finally, he would be able to evaluate Haikuno’s strength and potential threat to Kumogakure. If the intel was correct, Haikuno was in the company of Enishi, a once well-respected and very powerful member of Kumogakure. Kazuhiko was curious to see how much Haikuno had learned from him, as well as test his friend’s convictions. If Haikuno could be swayed, he could be a powerful ally inside the Kingslayer’s inner circle.

Takaki Saeko

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Maru Maru. Town of glittering slums. The fate of its people was to be forever mired in poverty and crime and ignorance, because to even realize that one was downtrodden and oppressed actually required one to have an education in the first place. The Viscount who owned the lands and thus the town had long ago ceased to care for its welfare, as there were more profitable ventures that required less investment in the first place. If one was born in Maru Maru, one died in Maru Maru. There was never a chance to wish for anything better when the schools were a mixture of brothels and opium dens, and the police were hired muscle paid to extort whoever their employers wished. Over the years, the place ended up killing everyone’s soul, long before their bodies ceased to function.

Haikuno suppressed the urge to retch in distaste at the sight of the old place. He had risked life and limb to join Enishi in the first place, just so that he could lift everyone out of this sort of living hell that the nobles deliberately let fester in the name of greed. The end-goal couldn’t come soon enough. When they finally stormed the Red Palace in Raiden’s Eye, killed Chancellor Tachibana Ami and the Council of Eleven Moons, and forced the Shogun to abdicate and hold elections. When the common people of Lightning Country would open their eyes for the first time ever into a realization that they were just as human as those with the good fortune to be born into “nobility.”

He knew what he was doing was stupid, even if Enishi had apparently given him permission to check on Kazuhiko. The Chuunin was no longer his friend – he was a just another cog in the murder machine. But then again, so was Haikuno. He had become, after all, an assassin whose job was to kill, no matter what sort of lofty ideals he believed in. Unconsciously, he hoped that perhaps this common understanding between the two boys…really, two men now, could mean something, and that Kazuhiko would not simply attempt to arrest and summarily execute him right then and there. He shivered slightly at that last thought, knowing that one-on-one, Kazuhiko would likely be able to overwhelm him in a fight. But Haikuno knew the ins and outs of Maru Maru much better, and on this ground, they were more equal.

“The usual place” was a shop that the old group - himself, Kazuhiko, and Kaguya, had caused some damage to during their last set of escapades together. Knowing how things were in Maru Maru, the shop would probably still have a gaping hole in its walls. Haikuno rolled his eyes at the truth of this as he came upon the shop. He had concealed his wakizashi and twin Santaru-Taji fighting daggers under an unassuming outfit of an oversized brown sweater and cargo pants, with a pair of worn-out sneakers that still were the most comfortable and quietest footwear he owned. He looked like any other bumpkin from the countryside, which helped with concealment in the crowds. Leaning against the wall, casually, he scoped out the surroundings. One thing he noticed was fewer of Karachi’s thugs hanging around the taverns and gambling dens. Perhaps the old bastard was slipping, after all.

Finally, he spotted Kazuhiko across the way. The man looked strikingly similar to what Haikuno had seen last time they were all together. He wondered if this was deliberate. Well, it was time to face the music. Without going through the trouble of a sidelong approach, Haikuno walked over to Kazuhiko’s table and sat down across from the chuunin.
Shounen_Av_zps93dd07f2.jpg

VGocR.png
“So, Kazu-san, how’s everything been?”

Suzuki Setsu

Yen
ASP
Deaths

cloud_chuunin.gif

Kichida Kazuhiko -- iNPC​

He came after all, Kazuhiko thought to himself with a smile. Despite their differences, Kazuhiko was glad to find that Haikuno still valued their friendship enough that he would come and visit if asked.

Kazu-san? Haikuno, you can drop the formalities, we are friends after all, despite our,” Kazuhiko paused for a second to find the right words, “ideological differences.” He folded the newspaper and gestured for Haikuno to sit. “I have to give credit where it’s due. Putting Takaki-sama in prison was a brilliant move on the Kingslayers’ part. It will really hamper our movements. But I think he’ll get out before too long, he’s a crafty guy. As for me, I’ve been forced to handle a lot more paperwork since he’s not there. And how are you doing, it has been awhile since I’ve seen you after all. Kaguya too.”

Kazuhiko waited to gauge Haikuno’s reaction, hopefully it would unnerve him a bit, but then again, Enishi had probably said that Masao’s incarceration would probably be temporary at best. That inevitability probably meant that the Kingslayers would make their next move soon, while Cloud was hampered. After seeing his reaction, Kazuhiko would have liked to simply cut to the chase. He disliked skulking around trying to make his opponents trip up, even the machinations in Maru Maru itself were not to his liking. He would have preferred a straight up fight with Karachi and Sakaki, but again, Kumogakure could not be officially involved. Acting of his own volition would make him a rogue-ninja, and in Kumogakure that meant death.

But although he believed he was alone with Haikuno, anyone could be listening in on their conversation. As much as he wanted to be frank with his friend, if he confirmed Kazuhiko’s membership within the group he would at best get a wanted poster with his face plastered over it, and at worst arrested right away. And Kazuhiko knew what punishment awaited the members of the Kingslayers, execution. So again Kazuhiko was forced into veiling his meaning behind even more words.

“So Haikuno, I hear you’ve found your life’s calling?” Kazuhiko paused before continuing. “I just want to know one thing. Was it your choice?”

Takaki Saeko

Yen
ASP
Deaths
A cold chill lanced down Haikuno’s spine as Kazuhiko so casually began to talk about the actions of the Kingslayers, even offering them some sidelong praise. Of all of the things to talk about, the chuunin had chosen that. And of course, there was that comment about the…ideological differences between the two. Shit, he definitely knows, thought Haikuno, swallowing. Instinctively, his eyes flicked around to scan the nearby alleyways, rooftops, and buildings where a BSA Kill-Team would stack up, or worse, where a detachment of Cloud ANBU could appear from at any moment. Still, why wasn’t Kazuhiko simply calling him out and attempting to detain him? Perhaps it was some sort of sneaky way of tricking a confession out of him, to make sure that there was absolutely no question in anyone’s mind when his neck met the noose. Two can play at that game, Kazuhiko, thought Haikuno as he leaned back in his chair, seemingly to stretch his arms, but mostly to gain crucial morsels of situational awareness.

“Yeah, I heard about that. Sorry about the paperwork, bro. Their leader, Enishi-san, is a pretty wily guy as well. Maybe a match for your Sennin, you know,” he said, trying not to smirk. The temptation to be smug was overwhelming – and yet a twinge of regret still managed to worm its way into his head in that moment. Kazuhiko was still…was once, at least, a valued friend, and the person who had inspired him to take action in the first place. It didn’t feel right to mock him, no matter how much they should have hated each other.

“Well, enough about politics, man. I was never really into that stuff in the first place,” he said, chuckling in an effort to expunge the tightening feeling in his throat. "Still haven’t really gotten lucky with finding a girlfriend. I mean, the women around me are pretty hot, but I mean, one of them is all tsun without any dere, another is kinda expressionless, which in real life is kinda creepy as opposed to moe, and the other is, well, I don’t know how I feel about dating an older girl, much less one with a tai-“ he stopped himself, before revealing too much information about Risei. Still, it felt much better to chum around with Kazuhiko and talk about girl problems like any pair of buddies would. “How about you? Any hot ninja girls around the village? I mean, I haven’t been there but occasionally I see the Mochizuki troupe on tour, and there’s this one girl, Tomo-chan, who is super hot. I mean, I wouldn’t even care if she was actually a guy or something! I’d still tap that!” he said, fist-pumping. “On a more serious note, I haven’t heard much from Kaguya-kun at all. I mean, didn’t he join the guard here? I thought I’d inquire after him if you wanted to stick around,” he said, shrugging. “I bet he hasn’t gotten laid either. He was always really uptight, but you know, he’s a good guy.”

It had started to feel like old times again. Simpler times, when good was good, evil was evil, and any obstacle could be overcome through the power of friendship. And then, of course, Kazuhiko dropped the armor-piercing question.

“So Haikuno, I hear you’ve found your life’s calling? I just want to know one thing. Was it your choice?”

Haikuno’s eyelids narrowed. It was a grim reminder of the fact that life was more complicated than a shounen manga. He sighed. It was time to draw a line in the sand, across which his friend would stare back.

“Yes, I’ve found my calling. It’s something I would be perfectly content to die doing, even. And it was entirely my choice.”

Your move, Kazuhiko.

Suzuki Setsu

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Listening to Kazuhiko talk about his new friends warmed Kazuhiko’s heart. It was good to hear that he had bonded with his new found family. Of course it meant that this was probably the last time he would meet with him in peace. After all, Kumo-nin had been responsible for the death of his companions. Haikuno seemed reluctant to actually discuss his involvement and actions with the Kingslayers, Kazuhiko couldn’t blame him. From Haikuno’s perspective, he was an enemy, and not someone who could be trusted anymore.

“I’ve always been unlucky with women, Haikuno. So I’m afraid I can’t say the same for myself,” Kazuhiko responded to Haikuno’s jibe about his fortune with the opposite sex. He laughed a little to himself when Haikuno mentioned Tomo-chan, but he couldn’t be too hard on the boy. If Kazuhiko hadn’t had access to Kumogakure’s shinobi database, he would have thought the more sensible Mochizuki twin to be a girl as well.

“Yes, I’ve found my calling. It’s something I would be perfectly content to die doing, even. And it was entirely my choice.”

He smiled brightly when he heard this, “Good.” Kazuhiko was silent for awhile after. He was thanking whatever powers that existed in the universe that his friend’s free will was still intact. After a few minutes had passed he said, “What? Did you expect an impassioned speech about why you’re wrong and that you should join us so I won’t have to kill you? You have chosen your path, and I’m proud to see the fine young man you’ve become. Kaguya too, has chosen his path. Both of you started making your own decisions without any help from me. Good.” In response to the questioning look on Haikuno’s face that would arise at the mention of Kaguya’s name, Kazuhiko continued, “Kaguya’s joined the Bakufu Security Agency. He hopes to change the government from the inside as much as you wish to change it from the outside. Same goal, different means. You’ll have to be the one to tell him of your new occupation, he won’t believe it unless it comes from your mouth.”

Takaki Saeko

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Unconsciously, the boy rested his hand on his waist, right next to the grip of the .38 caliber pistol bolter tucked into a holster inside of his waistband. He had laid it out there for Kazuhiko – essentially confessed that he was a member of the most wanted terrorist group in the country, and that he had joined them without coercion. There would definitely be no leniency from the courts, if he even made it that far. He had heard the stories – the Bakufuu Security Agency was fond of summary field executions written off as escape attempts. And Kumo shinobi weren’t much different. He expected Kazuhiko to either lecture him, flip the table, or simply wave in the air that it was time for the strike team to make their arrest. Instead, the shinobi did none of those. Simply smiled sincerely.

“Good,” was all the chuunin said. Haikuno’s hand stayed where it was.

“I’m warning you right now, you won’t take me down, I will not die a virgin...” began Haikuno, before realizing that the chuunin’s words were not an invitation to violence. “...Uh, wait, what?”

“What? Did you expect an impassioned speech about why you’re wrong and that you should join us so I won’t have to kill you? You have chosen your path, and I’m proud to see the fine young man you’ve become. Kaguya too, has chosen his path. Both of you started making your own decisions without any help from me. Good.”

“What did Kaguya do?”

“Kaguya’s joined the Bakufu Security Agency. He hopes to change the government from the inside as much as you wish to change it from the outside. Same goal, different means. You’ll have to be the one to tell him of your new occupation, he won’t believe it unless it comes from your mouth.”

Haikuno drew both of his hands up to his face, rubbing the bridge of his nose. So Kaguya had done it after all. Joined the enemy. Joined an organization that routinely tortured and killed Lightning Country citizens in the name of justice, all in the service of a morally bankrupt government headed by a frightened puppet. It was, however, something that he could have expected. Poor, delusional, principled Kaguya, always believing that he could help by being a good role model.

“Do you know where he is now, Kazuhiko?” he asked. “Because you’re right, of course. I’ll have to tell him if I want to save him from his idiocy. Does he really think he’s going to be able to go up to Chancellor Tachibana and politely ask her to please stop being such a tyrant?” He sighed. “Kazu, I appreciate you telling me, don’t get me wrong. But this is probably stuff I could’ve found out on my own, regardless. And it sounds like you already knew who I work for. So why did you call me out here if not to …you know…” he said, miming pulling the trigger on a bolter.

Suzuki Setsu

Yen
ASP
Deaths

cloud_chuunin.gif

Kichida Kasuhiko​

“Haikuno. I won’t tell you what to do, but I ask that you reflect on for what and for whom you are fighting before you meet Kaguya. Out of respect for his decisions. It will not do for you to go about this half-heartedly. You wish to save him? From the choice he has made, would you do it even against his will?” Kazuhiko asked sternly before revealing Kaguya’s whereabouts, “Kaguya is in the capital, if you want to meet him you will need to go there.” Had his former protégé been blinded by his ideals so much that he would not recognize that others may not share his beliefs? Kazuhiko himself had almost fallen into that trap with Haikuno, and only after reflecting deeply on why he fought had he been able to accept that Haikuno had chosen the Path of the Kingslayer, and yet consider him a friend.

Haikuno finally questioned his motives for meeting him, his time amongst the most wanted of Lightning Country had made him somewhat paranoid of those who served the state, and rightly so. “Well, I was worried that you had been swept into something you did not fully understand, or that you did not fully comprehend the consequences of your actions. But it seems that my fears were unfounded.” Kazuhiko stood up to leave and said, “If you truly believe what you’re doing is right, don’t hesitate. Don’t hesitate against me, Kaguya, or anyone. We cannot return to the way things were, we can only move forward. From here on out, you and I are on opposite sides of a great divide. I will come at you with everything at my disposal. If you hope to succeed, I suggest you do the same. I do not resent you for your choice, but I will stand for my beliefs.”</B><i></i> With that, Kazuhiko began to walk away, <B>“The next time we see each other, will most likely be on the battlefield. See you around.”

"Oh. And happy birthday," Kazuhiko turned back and tossed a small bag of gold coins at Haikuno, I couldn't think of what to get you, so use that and take one of your lady-friends out on a date or something." With that he left to head back to Kumogakure.

[TL unless stopped]
[Sorry for the wait...]

Takaki Saeko

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Haikuno sighed. Kazuhiko was right – there was no way that Kaguya had not embraced his decision as wholeheartedly as Haikuno had embraced his. In some way, he had always known that things would end up going like this. Had Maru Maru been a more prosperous town, had the two boys had the chance to gain an education and land respectable middling-class jobs, and had they not been forced by want to take up arms to feed themselves, things would have ended differently. Haikuno might have been a shopkeeper or a skilled tradesman, and Kaguya perhaps would have become a skilled clerk or records keeper for the local government, even an Imperial Army officer. They might have had the chance to start families, raise children, and enjoy the golden years of respected old age while their doting grandchildren played with each other.

But that was all pure fantasy. The reality was that now each boy was forced to fight to the death for the things he held dearest. Kaguya was a patriot, through and through. But then again, so was Haikuno.

“Kaguya’s one of the truly good people left in this world. He’s also stubborn as hell. I know I can’t convince him to drop his cause, but I just wanted to see him one last time, before we ended up fighting for real,” he said, shaking his head. “And I promise you, Kazuhiko, even if we do end up crossing swords, I won’t hold back against either of you. That would be a shitty thing to do to a friend, and I know you wouldn’t treat me that way, either,” he said, his eyes burning and a heavy feeling growing in his throat. There. He had said it, and meant it. Kichida Kazuhiko was officially his enemy, along with every other shinobi of Kumogakure. There would be no golden retirement in the future in which their grandchildren would cavort in a field together. Only unmarked graves.

As the shinobi began to leave, he stopped, and tossed something at Haikuno, who caught it reflexively. He looked down at the object, finding a small sack of golden koban. Judging by the weight, it was the equivalent to a few months of the chuunin’s salary. And it was a birthday present for him. Not even Enishi had recognized that today was his birthday – and Haikuno had also been on the verge of forgetting as well.

“Thank you…for everything. And goodbye,” said Haikuno, bowing to his departing friend and enemy. Kazuhiko quickly disappeared into the crowd, and now Haikuno was left alone. Numbly, the boy left a few bills on the table and began to walk in the opposite direction.

A few blocks away, he ducked into an alley, where he promptly vomited and collapsed to his knees. Punching the brick wall with his fists, he choked down the sobs threatening to erupt from his throat, and bottled them up tightly so they could never emerge again. He had not the luxury of tears, now. He was a Kingslayer, and he would kill and die for his cause.

[Topic ended]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Current Ninpocho Chronicles Time:

Back