Ninpocho Chronicles

Ninpocho Chronicles is a fantasy-ish setting storyline, set in an alternate universe World of Ninjas, where the Naruto and Boruto series take place. This means that none of the canon characters exists, or existed here.

Each ninja starts from the bottom and start their training as an Academy Student. From there they develop abilities akin to that of demigods as they grow in age and experience.

Along the way they gain new friends (or enemies), take on jobs and complete contracts and missions for their respective villages where their training and skill will be tested to their limits.

The sky is the limit as the blank page you see before you can be filled with countless of adventures with your character in the game.

This is Ninpocho Chronicles.

Current Ninpocho Chronicles Time:

1. e2-e4 ______

Suzuki Setsu

Yen
ASP
Deaths
The young empath sat in the courtyard of the Bibliotheca with a stack of worn journals. What had started as a simple desire to understand more of his abilities was now a fascination with the writings and anecdotes of the author who wrote under the pseudonym Atrus. Setsu had found the writer compelling and funny, and a genuinely considerate person. The initial few books he had read on the nature of empathic powers were detailed and written in an easy to understand manner, as if they were intended for those who had newly awakened to the ability. But these later writings on chakra theory, sentience of clones and chakra constructs, and the societal norms of summoned foxes were on an entirely different level. Some of the journals weren’t even written in the common tongue and appeared to be inane scribbles on the well-preserved paper.

Setsu set down one of these later journals and slumped back over the bench he was sitting on, lethargy emanating from him. “This is ridiculous. Why in the world does he spend so much time focusing on chakra colors and their meaning? What’s the difference between someone with red chakra and blood-red chakra, anyway? Isn’t it just semantics?” At least my vocabulary is improving.

Maybe he had been spending too much time reading, it was making him bored and irritable. That’s it, I think it’s time for a change of pace. Setsu piled up the journals and carried them carefully back to the attendant on duty outside. He then relocated to one of several stone tables where pairs of library-goers sat playing a variety of games including checkers, shogi, and chess. His table held the latter, thirty-two ornately carved pieces half from the dark blue lapis lazuli that was locally mined, and the other half from moonstone artificially created by enterprising shinobi with the crystal release.

The boy knew the rules, but hadn’t really played much. Rinko hated the game, always complaining about pawns and weird Bear country rules that didn’t make sense. So he never had a partner to play against. He sat on the side of the moonstone pieces and stared silently at passers-by with puppy dog eyes, wordlessly begging someone to come interact with him.

[Topic Entered]
z2jIKjn.png
Feel free to post what you think the board would look like after a few turns. Or we can play chess online! I used https://lichess.org/editor to create the board.

Tatsuo

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Tatsuo had never been known to frequent libraries. For someone who lacked an intellectual bone in his body it was rare for him to be there, much less go on his own accord. Nonetheless he had left a few things here his last time in the village and he thought it would be a good idea to go check it up on them. The shinobi was dressed in casual gear, it was obvious to anyone he was a shinobi but he had a casual air about him that betrayed his rank. His youth did not help that fact, he looked no older than eighteen. Strolling in through the entrance he did a cursory scan of the building for anything out of the ordinary, for whatever reason libraries just made him uncomfortable. Whether it was all the tight turns or rows of shredded up trees he had never really decided upon, but shrugging off the thought he continued through the library at brisk pace. He had no intention in staying there for long, but Tatsuo's heart always got to the best of him and as he was passing a kid he made eye contact. Letting out a sigh he knew he could not just leave now after that so he walked over, pulled out the chair and plopped down into the seat.

A wide grin appeared on the shinobi's face as he greeted the boy, "Hey, bud." His hand glided over to the board picking up one of the pawns and rubbing it between his thumb and palm before returning to its respective space. "You're looking for a challenger?" Letting out a chuckle he went to move one of his pawns up the line and said "Ya' know i've been looking for a good fight anyways, this wasn't exactly what I had in mind but a bouts about." As he finished his move he sat back in his chair and crossed his arms, awaiting for Setsu to make his move. "So tell me about yourself kid, Academy Student? Genin? Weird chess kid?"

Suzuki Setsu

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Setsu’s eyes visibly lit up when the teen sat across from him and offered to play. He looked confident and collected, exactly the opposite of Setsu. He was dressed informally, but the way he carried himself suggested that this was a full-fledged shinobi. He was older than Setsu, but his youthful features prevented the young boy from accurately gauging how much older he was. Still, the empath was just happy that someone had sat down to play him.

His opponent seemed to be just as happy, the slight hint of discomfort vanishing into a friendly grin. He mirrored Setsu’s opening move as he accepted the unspoken challenge to a match. Setsu answered the boy’s question while moving his bishop out into the fray, “I’m not a genin...yet. My paperwork has been filed but the exam results are still finalizing. I heard there were some unfortunate problems with the computers in the Torre. So technically I’m still a student, and weird chess kid is probably not wrong either.” Rinko would probably agree on the weird chess kid part.

His opponent was the first to go on the attack, pulling his knight to pressure the center. Setsu scrambled to put up a defense, readying his own knight in response. “Oh, I’m Suzuki Setsu, and well I hope I can at least give you a decent fight here, even if it’s not what you had in mind. And if you don’t mind me asking, who might you be and what were you looking for?”
kVsXi95.png
1. e2-e4 e7-e5
2. Bf1-c4 Ng8-f6
3. Nb1-c3

Tatsuo

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Tatsuo had seen a few people play chess over the years and had a basic idea of the rules of the game, but when it came to any strategy he was hopeless. He hoped the kid wouldn't beat him into a pulp for prides sake. He nodded along as the student told him about the failure in paperwork, offering a thin grin at that. "Paper work sucks, kid. All the way through." he joked as he moved another piece in response. "It's definitely my least favorite part of being a shinobi, the whole system can be a little.. uhh ineffective if you ask me." he said shrugging his shoulders. "So you're still a student, eh?" he furrowed his brows looking over the kid looking for any signs of a capable shinobi in him. Tatsuo had gotten pretty good at reading both people and potential, but this kid in particular was hard to read for whatever reason.

"And it's not too bad to be the weird chess kid, could be a lot worse weird things. Met this one guy on a job who didn't know how to speak without shouting, I swear i'm still a little deaf in this ear from him." he said lifting up his left arm and pointing upwards to his ear, a friendly grin plastered on his face throughout the whole motion. "I prefer weird chess kid to weird yelling guy, any day." Tatsuo himself was not too interested in the game as most strategy games were lost on the boy who for whatever reason never liked anything that made him think that much. He was a simple guy after all and pursuits like chess seemed unnecessary to him.

"Who knows, you might even give me a decent beating." he offered a chuckle after the kids response to his look for a fight. "Nice to meet you, Setsu. I'm Tatsuo. I'm just here to pick up a few packages, it's been a while since i've been in the village so I left a few belongings stored here. Little tip, hide things in places no one would think you'd ever be. I don't think i've been in a library for at least a year and a half. But if you mean in general, i'm just back in the village to brush up on some skills. I haven't had a real good fight in ages, mostly nobodies throughout the lightning country ya' know? Chakra is like a muscle, don't use it and you'll lose it." he tapped the board as he did his next move, waiting for Setsu's response.

Suzuki Setsu

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Setsu wasn’t especially upset at the delays surrounding his genin exam, technical difficulties happened and at the very least the shinobi in charge of the whole thing had been keeping the young student informed about what was going on. It was a tad frustrating, but the boy thought that these issues might even be more stressful for the people having to deal with them directly. His opponent shared his own occasional exasperation with the bureaucratic side of being a shinobi while making another move. Bishop to b4, threatening to pin his knight if he moved his pawn forward. But if he didn’t make the move, his forward pawn would have no protection should his knight be captured. The choice was clear, d2 to d3.

The older boy responded with an aggressive move contesting control of the center of the board, d7 to d5. He told Setsu that being the ‘weird chess kid’ was definitely not the worst thing he could be called, recounting an mission with a man who wouldn’t stop shouting everything. The absurdity of such an encounter caused Setsu to snort with laughter. Looking at the board, Setsu decided to be a bit more aggressive himself and made the first capture of the game. Exd5, he looked toward the older boy for his move, and was treated to the remark that he might give the older boy a run for his money. Setsu took that as a compliment, he wasn’t good at much, so praise for his ability at anything was nice to hear. The boy introduced himself as Tatsuo, he was only in the library to pick up some things he had left here. He was brushing up on some skills in the village. Setsu could understand that, he’d seen some genin join academy students in classes for refreshers, he wondered if Tatsuo had been doing that too.

“Fighting throughout Lightning Country? That sounds rough, even against nobodies.” From how the older boy spoke, he was searching for a challenge. Setsu supposed that was why he’d started playing, though it seemed he was vastly more comfortable in an actual arena. Again Setsu’s opposite. “I don’t think I’d have the stamina or the self-control to be able to fight against anyone really. I tend to avoid direct conflict. Some of the teachers think its a fatal flaw of mine.” Mochizuki-sensei and Kashino-sensei hadn’t particularly labeled it as such, but some of the more traditional instructors had been less than satisfied with his lack of combat prowess.The boy considered Tatsuo’s warning about chakra proficiency and he made another move, bishop to f5. The young empath didn’t really go out of his way to practice anything chakra-related. If he wasn’t careful he could lose the abilities he had worked so hard to develop to this point. Bishop to b5, “Check.”
OtWTwuL.png
1. e2-e4 e7-e5
2. Bf1-c4 Ng8-f6
3. Nb1-c3 Bf8-b4
4. d2-d3 d7-d5
5. exd5 Bc8-f5
6. Bc4-c5+

Tatsuo

Yen
ASP
Deaths
As Setsu explained his mindset towards fighting, Tatsuo couldn't help but smile. In his youth he wasn't much of a fighter either, so he saw a bit of himself in the weird chess kid. "Stamina and self control are indeed important to fighting and believe it or not I wasn't always looking for a fight either. It wasn't until I had to fight something worth fighting, I don't know if you've actually had to fight anything like that yet kid. A part of me hopes you never do, but once you do, you'll probably understand what I mean."

After his short monologue his attention returned to the game at hand. With his king in trouble Tatsuo had to mount a defense, bringing one of his pawns up he got in the way of the pesky bishop and grinned over to the kid. "Your move." In the meantime Tatsuo leaned back crossing his arms as his gaze scanned the library looking for anything out of the ordinary, ever since returning back to the village he had this sense of suspicion that he couldn't shake and for that there was always a bit of him that was on guard.

"What's your fighting style?" Tatsuo asked as he sighed leaning into the table, returning all of his attention back to Setsu. He rested his chin in one of his hands, supporting himself with his elbow. Furrowing his brows he awaited his response, typically kids had chosen a pretty specific fighting style by now. It wasn't until they were older that they learned that it was a good idea to have a variety of techniques and skills to aid you in combat, but it was much easier to focus on one tree of combat rather than all at the beginning so he understood the sentiment.

Suzuki Setsu

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Tatsuo began to mount a defense for his king which quickly turned into a rapid-fire exchange of pieces. Setsu lost his attacking bishop to Tatsuo’s knight, who in turn traded his bishop for Setsu’s knight. The young empath considered Tatsuo’s words. Something worth fighting, it was not what Setsu expected. Usually people talked about something worth fighting for, this was different. I suppose one could think of fighting like a game, if you have a really tough opponent I suppose that makes it fun sometimes. Setsu thought as he captured Tatsuo’s queen with his own. “Check.”

Tatsuo responded by moving his king, and was checked again by Setsu’s rook. He moved away and allowed Setsu to recoup some of his losses by capturing Tatsuo’s other bishop. Setsu lost his pawn, but was able to fork Tatsuo’s two knights with his rook. This guaranteed that he’d be able to capture one of them. During this exchange, the older shinobi inquired more about Setsu. “My fighting style? I guess it’s ranged. If I keep my distance I won’t get hurt as often right? But I’m no good with bows and guns, so I’m stuck with trying to throw stuff.” Setsu baited out Tatsuo’s rook with his second bishop and captured it with his remaining knight. “I’ve been told that I’m pretty decent at ninjutsu as well, or well that I should be at least. When I’m channeling my emotions it’s apparently pretty potent, but I’m not too good at controlling it yet.Or if I’ll even be a help in a fight.”

Tatsuo’s and Setsu next moves involved the younger boy trying to trap the older boy’s king with his two rooks. While Setsu had the advantage, Tatsuo was able to deftly maneuver around the remaining pieces and eventually baited the young boy into a stalemate. “It seems I still have a lot to learn. I didn’t realize if I moved there it’d end as a tie. Perhaps I should’ve been paying attention to where you were going. But anyways, thanks for the game, Tatsuo-san! It was real fun, and a nice break from all the studying I’ve been doing lately. Though I’m not sure if reading books is going to help me much.” Another wave of genuine gratitude and joy radiated from the boy as he reached out to shake the older boy’s hand.
92yMx71.png
1. e2-e4 e7-e5
2. Bf1-c4 Ng8-f6
3. Nb1-c3 Bf8-b4
4. d2-d3 d7-d5
5. exd5 Bc8-f5
6. Bc4-c5+ c7-c6
7. dxc6 bxc6
8. Bxc6 Nxc6
9. Ng1-f3 Ra8-b8
10. O-O e5-e4
11. dxe4 Bxe4