Ninpocho Chronicles

Ninpocho Chronicles is a fantasy-ish setting storyline, set in an alternate universe World of Ninjas, where the Naruto and Boruto series take place. This means that none of the canon characters exists, or existed here.

Each ninja starts from the bottom and start their training as an Academy Student. From there they develop abilities akin to that of demigods as they grow in age and experience.

Along the way they gain new friends (or enemies), take on jobs and complete contracts and missions for their respective villages where their training and skill will be tested to their limits.

The sky is the limit as the blank page you see before you can be filled with countless of adventures with your character in the game.

This is Ninpocho Chronicles.

Current Ninpocho Chronicles Time:

A Hunter's Quest [Genin Exam for Setsu]

Suika

Yen
ASP
Deaths
It was just another day in Suika’s book, but a very important one for a shinobi-to-be. The kunoichi was often tasked with duties outside her specialty, especially with what she was assigned today. Recently, the young Chuunin, who acted as Yuii’s intern and specialized in spy work and foreign relations, received a scroll. Inside this rolled parchment were very specific instructions – she was to host a private Genin exam for a boy named Suzuki Setsu. More specifically, she was to test this student to see if he was ready for his headband. Additionally, she was also tasked to observe his progress throughout as to potentially recommend him to a sub-branch in Kumogakure’s Main Branch. This wasn’t her preferred line of work, but she treated this seriously like all her other obligations. Brainstorming a few ideas and diagramming them out, Suika was prepared for the challenge that she would soon set. Though, a crucial query remained: was Setsu ready?

The blue-eyed student would receive a scroll notifying him of his exam, its time, and the meetup location. He was to report to the Academy’s school yard and check-in with his Chuunin instructor for the day, Suika. No further information was shared, especially about who Suika even was, what she looked like, or which part of the school yard she’d await him. There were just some things a Genin-to-be had to figure out on their own, right?

The day arrived and Suika showed up earlier than what was shared to the boy. She wore her typical get-up, which consisted of a somewhat revealing top, shorts with a long waist cover, golden bangles, and her Kumogakure headband showing itself around her belt line. Carrying a chart with Setsu’s information, she casually stood near a random tree and flipped through some of her notes. It would soon be show time.

[OOC: Short intro! The main exam will start once Setsu reports to Suika]

Suzuki Setsu

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Setsu was extremely nervous as he entered the Academy grounds again. The boy had spent the time before his exam preparing himself for whatever he would face. He had attended an extra class, peppered the instructors with a myriad of questions about the exam, and tried to read the accounts of shinobi who had passed their exams already. Nothing seemed to add up, every exam was unique. Depending on the personality of the instructor, and what they valued in a shinobi, the tests were wildly different. How are you even supposed to prepare for something like this, he fretted.

The young empath stopped himself and took a deep breath to calm down. “Calm thoughts, calm thoughts,” he muttered to himself. He could hear the nervous murmuring of the other students and faculty on the campus grounds quiet down, Setsu breathed a sigh of relief. The other day he had accidentally started a fight between two civilians when he failed to reign in his frustration over losing one of the kunai Sonoko-sensei had given him. His proctor would surely give him a demerit if he couldn’t show proper control of his abilities.

Setsu pulled the scroll out again, Academy schoolyard, 0930 hours, check in with chuunin Suika. Even the exam notification is vague, the boy inwardly remarked. No description of what this “Suika” looked like, or where exactly she would be. Is this part of the test too? Setsu saw at least twenty people milling about the yard. This is so not fair…, the boy shook his head as he headed out. At least I can just ask the people wearing headbands. After a few inquiries the boy was directed over to the area near a decently-sized tree. The last faculty member he had spoken to mentioned that he thought he had seen Suika heading in that direction.

A young girl, who appeared to be only slightly older than he was, idly stood there, flipping through some papers. Setsu’s face flushed bright red as he saw the slightly revealing appearance of the girl before him. For a moment, Setsu’s emotions blasted out full force, derailing the philosophical debate between two passing instructors as they suddenly couldn’t look each other in the eyes without blushing furiously.

Deep breaths! Just ask her if she knows who Suika is, and where she went. Setsu, still beet-red, slowly approached the girl with stiff and awkward movements, Eyes focused firmly on the ground, he lifted his head to ask, “Umm, w-would you happen to know a Suika-san? I w-was told she came in this direction.” It was only after he asked this did he notice the headband hanging from her waist and his name on the file. Great first impression.

MFT
WC: 454

Suika

Yen
ASP
Deaths
As Suika continued to her examine the documents on her clipboard, she was approached by a fair-skinned, blue-eyed boy. She noticed something off about his presence… what was it? His arrival made her feel somewhat warm inside, almost as if she felt flustered for a moment. She was able to resist this spontaneous rise of emotion, but she did wonder briefly as to what caused it. She shrugged it off. Revealing a friendly grin as to ease the student’s nerved demeanor, she nodded to affirm his assumption.

“Yep, I’m Suika. You must be Suzuki Setsu,” she responded as she rested her clipboard to her side. Gesturing with her free hand, she dived straight into business. “I’ve been assigned to be your personal proctor for your Genin exam. I will be measuring everything you’ve learned so far in the Academy, which includes your skills, your ability to adapt, and anything I deem worth scoring you positively for. Are you ready?” Her question was rhetorical, which was shown by her giving him no room to respond.

“Your task is going to be quite simple. Here’s a list of items I need you to collect,” she then pulled a small scroll from her poucht and handed it over to the boy. If Setsu inspected the list, it’d read as follows:

To Be Collected said:
12 ounces of Golden Honey
1 whole loaf of the finest bread in town
1 quart of milk from Betsy the Cow
2 Giant Strawberries

“Once you have collected all that I have requested on that list, bring them back here. You have until sundown to successfully complete your assignment.” Suika’s stomach grumbled after uttering her last word. She ignored it and smiled. “Doesn’t sound too difficult, right? Good luck, Setsu.” Suika turned her body and pretended to focus on her clipboard once more. Once the boy was a fair distance away, she’d equip a headset, turn her head secretively, and speak quietly into it. “The kid is on the move. Be ready, people.” What did the kunoichi have up her sleeve?

[OOC: Sorry for the hold up, I caught a stomach bug and just recently recovered. With that said, your Genin exam has finally commenced! Setsu is encouraged to look throughout Kumogakure for these ingredients. You can either make separate threads for the ingredients or RP them all in this one (your call). You are free to interact with your environment, different people, etc.. I will be modding Setsu's interactions with the environment and various NPCs. Background knowledge: Setsu would have heard of a few farms on the outskirts of Kumogakure that he can venture to (not too far from the village). He may have heard rumors of various imports and ingredients similar to those listed in the Village's marketplace. Have fun and happy hunting!]

Suzuki Setsu

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Setsu visibly sighed in relief at Suika’s disarming smile. She didn’t seem to be disappointed with him at all, at least not yet. But I’ve gotta do my best to keep it that way, he thought to himself. She confirmed what the boy had belatedly pieced together, the young girl before him was indeed Suika, and she was in charge of his exam. Though her question was rhetorical the young boy nodded vigorously, his determination seeping out to those around him.

When Setsu heard the task was going to be simple he relaxed. In the days leading up to the exam he had done nothing but fret over what exactly he would be tested on, but item retrieval wasn’t anything to be worried about right? Setsu took the scroll and skimmed the contents. This looks like...a shopping list. No, there must be some deeper meaning behind these items. He pocketed the list and Suika explained that he would have until sundown to bring all the necessary items back to the campus. That’s a long time to pick up four items. A slight rumble reached Setsu’s ears, but he paid it no mind since the chuunin didn’t seem to notice.

“Doesn’t sound too difficult, right?” Suika said before wishing the boy luck on his quest. Not too difficult? More like not difficult at all. Out of all the terrible tests he had imagined being given, this was easily preferable to any of the life-and-death exams he had heard about from others around the village. But it seemed too easy, maybe he was missing something, and that thought bothered him slightly as he nodded in response to Suika and scampered off into town to begin his exam.
-------------​

Kumogakure was called a village but it was more like a small city than anything else. Especially the Susukino district where most of the shops and and restaurants were located. It was also one of the busiest places in Kumo, which is why Setsu wanted to tackle it first, before he was loaded with groceries. Not groceries! Important test items! He kept telling himself that there was some deep symbolism behind this task, and that Suika would definitely tell him what the different foods represented. Though a voice in the back of his head kept telling him he was just being used to bring her a meal, he pushed it away. There was no way a respected chuunin would use an exam as an excuse to have someone else do their shopping.That Setsu was sure of.

His first planned stop was a small bakery located in the very heart of the downtown area, Ichipan. A married couple ran the store, and it would be the most popular bakery in town if it wasn’t for one thing. They inundated their customers with bread puns, and only offered their best baked buns to those that were able to serve up some of their own wordplay. Most thought it was a waste of time and didn’t bother going through the effort to get bread from the place. So Setsu thought that they might sell out a little slower during the morning rush to buy breakfast. He gulped down his nervousness as he slowly weaved his way through the crowd towards the shop apologizing to every person he bumped into on the way. I hope I can impress them with my wordplay this time. My exam depends on it!

MFT
WC: 589

Suika

Yen
ASP
Deaths
“Ready?” murmured the kunoichi into the mic. Suika expected an immediate reply, but instead she was met with noisy static and an old lady hollering at an aged man. “Komugi!” she yelled with a hoarse tone. The man barked back. “Stop all that shouting, Pan! Keep that fire up and you’ll burn down this bakery,” he asserted as she heard the woman curse under her breath. The Chuunin, confused, blank curiously. “Hello?”

wy72S3D.png

“Ah, Suika,” replied the old feller known as Komugi. Despite his previous bickering with his wife, his tone was drastically friendlier. “Did you bring the new dough?” Suika almost snorted in laughter. Their puns were awful, but it did amuse her how everything was bread related to the old baker couple. “Mhm. We are ready to go!”

“EXCUSE ME?!” interjected the old lady. It looked as she finally figured out her earpiece. “I mean, we are ‘bready’ to go,” the kunoichi corrected. She heard a few ‘mmms’ – the couple was satisfied with her verbal revision. “Well, it’s time for some baking,” announced the old coot, “let’s see who you rolled out for us!”

================================

Once Setsu entered the small bakery, he would quickly notice how packed the little shop was. Customers, both local and foreign, lined up for what was dubbed Kumogakure’s best loaves of bread. The notoriously punful couple, Komugi and Pan, were front and center as they were selling their customers freshly new baked goods. With that, too, they served their wide array of bread-related puns. No person was safe from their quick-witted, yet awful sense of humor. Setsu would find that it would be easy to purchase a simple loaf of bread as it only cost a small amount of yen. However, if he wanted what was advertised as the “the best loaf of the day”, he’d half to blow the socks off the couple with an amazing pun. It was their weekly challenge that many attempted, but seldom were those who successfully impressed the couple and achieved what was deemed their best batch.

Finally, Setsu would find himself in front of the line after some wait. The couple stared at him expectantly – would the boy deliver?!

"Some wordplay, boy, and don't make it crumby!"

Suzuki Setsu

Yen
ASP
Deaths
It seems more crowded than usual today, Setsu mused as he waited in the overly convoluted line that wound throughout the store and out into the street. I hope they still have some of their best up for grabs. The worry that the couple would deem another person the rightful owner of their lead loaf only increased as Setsu slowly inched closer to the counter.

When it came time for him to serve some freshly baked puns, Setsu froze. His mind went blank at Pan’s expectant urging for some wordplay. The people behind the young empath began to yell for him to hurry up and leave the line if he wasn’t going to speak, the man directly behind Setsu started to push him out of the way.

Roll on outta here, little bun. Let someone with a bigger appetite for success have a go!” The man looked back to the crowd for a couple of approving nods from other hungry customers, and some eyerolls at the punnery. Setsu wasn’t strong enough to hold his ground and was eventually tossed to the ground a short ways from the counter.

Desperation welled up in the boy as he cried out, DOUGH-n’t! I knead that loaf.”

“Oh?” Komugi cocked an eyebrow as he regarded the young boy. “And tell me rye?”

Setsu took a deep breath to calm himself and stood up, It’s time to rise to the occassion, Setsu. The boy struck a defiant pose and shouted with a burning passion, “For I am on a quest, to seek the whole-y grain!” Some of his excess emotion spilled into crowd during his outburst, causing a few in the crowd to light up with a newfound passion for baked goods. A tense silence fell, during which Setsu’s face flushed with embarrassment. “I, I crust that will suffice?” he finished quietly. The crowd was silent as the bread’s fate was ultimately in the hands of the baking couple, the judges in this contest of wheat.

Suika

Yen
ASP
Deaths
After Setsu's loafsome pun, the whole crowd, in After Setsu's loafsome pun, the whole crowd, including the bakery's owners, grew silent. For a moment, all one could hear was the baking of bread in the background. Was his joke a hit? Or would his attempt be met with rejection. After what some would describe was an awkward couple of seconds, the whole store, including the bread owners, erupted into laughter. They laughed and laughed; the giggle fit ensued for a long while. As it began to die down, the old man wiped a tear from his cheek and handed the young lad their finest bread.

“My, naan has said a bread bun like that before! That was s-wheat!” And like that, Setsu acquired the coveted loaf of bread as the crowd erupted in cheers. Regardless of the outcome of this exam, Setsu would be deemed a legend in this local bakery. Snapping a quick photo of the boy, the old woman smiled. His face would soon be showcased in the shop as one of the few who had “passed the test”.

“Hmm, so he’s more clever than he looks,” Suika thought as she was given a report. But would her survive Lightning country’s farms to gather the rest of the ingredients?

After Setsu grabbed his earned good and traveled out, he’d remember that there were farms on the outskirts of Kumogakure that had everything from fruit, to livestock, and to honey. What he wouldn’t know, however, was the main farmer in that specific area was as stubborn as the creatures he took over. He seldom allowed people to mooch off his pickings unless, well, Setsu would just have to find that out.

Suika went on the move and quietly communicated into her headset. At that same moment, her stomach grumbled allowed. “Please, Setsu, successfully pass this exam…” she thought longingly as she rubbed her tummy. That’s what happened when you skipped breakfast.

[OOC: My apologies! I was catching up with threads and accidentally skipped over this one! @_@ If I'm not posting promptly, feel free to nudge me via PM/DM. Also, awesome bread pun haha I loved it!]

Suzuki Setsu

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Setsu was exhilerated. He had done it! The first item on the list had been acquired, with this he was one step closer to becoming a fully fledged shinobi of Cloud. The rest of the items, honey, milk, and strawberries, he knew he could find on the outskirts of the village. The farms located around the edges of the village were Kumogakure’s main beadbasket, as most of the land inside the village proper was either developed by the state, or belonged to ancestral shinobi clans who had other uses for it.

Setsu carefully unwrapped the sealing scroll and placed the fresh bread on it, running through the necesary handseals to store it safely away. Luckily, item sealing would keep the bread as piping hot and fresh as it was now. But Setsu wasn’t very proficient with it, so he couldn’t store much. The large loaf of bread took up almost all of his available storage space, so he’d have to figure out alternative methods of storing the rest of the food he had been tasked with collecting.

As he exited Ichipan and made his way out of the more populated parts of the village, the young empath considered his plan of attack. I should probably go for the milk last….I don’t have a good way of keeping it cold…, he paused as he remembered something. He did actually have an item to keep things cold, if he was clever enough. He fished in his bag for the snow siren’s heart, the only remains of the youkai that had shielded him from Ca’im. As always, the baseball-sized chunk of ice was wrapped in its silk cloth and radiating a constant chill. “Sorry to ask this of you,” he whispered quietly to it, “but can you help me again?” The boy knew it was odd to talk to a seemingly inanimate object. But he swore that it was alive, every once in awhile he could faintly feel emotions from it. He replaced the heart into his bag before moving on.

With a plan for the milk in his head, he headed for the outskirts. He stopped a passing woman who was in area and asked about the farms. Setsu knew that the majority were small farmers and didn’t want to ask for food from anyone who couldn’t afford to spare it.

“Well if you want someone who’s got goods to spare, old man Imada fits the bill, he’s one of the biggest landowners, if you don’t count nobility,” she cheerfully explained.

“Where can I find his farm?”

“Just keep walking down the path this way,” she indicated with a gesture, “about an hour or so you’ll see it. Big red barn, acres of wheat, white picket fences, and a charming little house. Can’t miss it.”

“Thanks, onee-chan!” Setsu bowed deeply, and gave a heart-melting smile his benefactor before dashing towards his next objective. Sure was lucky that nice onee-san was there, I wouldn't have known where to go next!

Once the boy was far enoughdown the path, the woman pulled a small headset out from under her collar. “This is Sibyll, target heading for the Promised Land."

Suika

Yen
ASP
Deaths
"Roger, Sibyll, old man Imada is ready for him." confirmed the scheming Chuunin as she nommed on a sugar, cinnamon-coated pastry. Suika, although meticulous in her planning, chose not to notify the old, grumpy farmer about the boy's soon arrival. Imada had a special sense to him... in fact, it was unlike the kunoichi had really ever encountered. If Setsu was cut out for the rank of Genin in Kumogakure, then it should be no problem for him. "Not even Jounin can deal with that nasty man," criticized one of her branch comrades when she discussed her plans for the boy in a prior meeting. The girl just shrugged it off. He wasn't that bad, right?

Along the path he traversed through, Setsu would be surrounded by the vast farmlands of Lightning country. The cool breeze brought the scents of various crops to his olfactory system, which were a mix of an earthy plainness, the smell of sweet soil, and a hint of the unrelenting stench of fresh cabbage. Animal critters roamed about freely, and scarecrows, which were quite simple in design, were posted in practically every square-mile. It was clear that Setsu wasn't in Kumogakure anymore. After about an hour of travel, his described destination was painted in view. Acres of wheat, a sizeable red farm, and white picket fences would come into the young student's sights. Before any of that, however, was a splotch of bright red to the west of the farms. Due to its positioning in the field and if he followed the main path, Setsu would come close enough to that patch to really make out what was there - giant strawberries. The fruit was huge, and they all looked ripe for the picking. They stood there unsupervised, and they practically begged for some passerby to pick them for their own use. What would Setsu do?

Due to his keen senses, particular within the realm of emotion, Setsu would catch a mental whiff of a feeling that made the sight of sweet strawberries feel bitter. The feeling was of a regret-fueled anger and a general mistrust to society... where did this emotion derive from? Nonetheless, Setsu had his options set before him. What was his next plan of action?

[OOC: Not a super long post, but it's definitely a set up. Thanks for the patience! I still do not have a laptop, but my sister is willing to let me borrow hers until it is hopefully fixed this week]

Suzuki Setsu

Yen
ASP
Deaths
“It really is big.” Setsu had never seen so much arable land in one place before, not to mention that it was all owned by one person. Inside the village proper, most land was used by the state for building up the residential and commercial areas of Kumo, and even the small hamlet he was born in was dwarfed by the acreage possessed by this Imada-san. As he made his way down the lane, his attention was grabbed by the sheer size of the strawberries that grew here. Is this even possible? He wondered to himself. But this was not the time for horticultural hypotheses. Giant strawberries were on the list, these were giant strawberries. And there were plenty to go around, surely no one would notice a few missing.

Stop it Setsu! That kind of thinking leads to evil! He slapped his cheeks to banish the errant idea. As he did so, he felt resentment and suspicion emanating from somewhere. Curious, and also a little glad he didn’t end up just taking the strawberries, he followed the emotion to its source. An old man painstakingly rifled through the strawberry bushes, pulling out weeds with his bare hands. He stopped for a moment to scrutinize the young lad, let out a derisive snort and returned to his work.

“All you alright sir? You seem upset about something.”

“What gave it away? My body language? Facial expression? The fact that I live alone on a farm far away from nosy brats with too much time on their hands?”
“N-no I just felt-,”

“Felt? Oh I get it now, use the mystical mumbo-jumbo on the old man. Yeah read his mind, read his heart. Privacy don’t matter to the dogs of the state. Rather play tricks on an old man than….,” the old man’s bitter tirade dwindled down to a weary mumble. “Get out, kid. I don’t have time to play with brats.”

“But I-I’m not here to play tricks on you or anything, sir. I-I just came by because I’ve been tasked to pick up some strawberries for my exam,” Setsu pulled out the list to show the old man. However, this only served to irritate the elderly farmer further.

“Oh boo-hoo. Go take someone else’s livelihood, I already ship most of my produce to the Raikage’s markets go buy some there if you’re desperate. Besides, I ain’t helping no one become a shinobi.”

Setsu could feel the emotion swell in the old man, he assumed it was the Imada that the friendly woman mentioned. He seemed to be proud, not wanting to let anyone know that he was troubled. And while it was admirable to stoically bear hardship, without someone to help support him Imada would probably by crushed under the weight of his own regrets. Even the strongest oak can snap under the pressure of constant wind, after all. Setsu knew he would need to be a bit more assertive to tease anything out of Imada-san.

“And why not? Because you’re s-stewing in self pity? Must be pretty easy for you to nurse your grudge and l-lash out at others, bet you it makes you feel real good about yourself.” Setsu tried to provoke a reaction. He felt horrible about pushing the man’s buttons this way, but he needed more information about why the man was upset if he were to address the cause. The goal was to get the strawberries, maybe the milk and honey too, but something told Setsu that unless he dealt with Imada’s emotions first he’d miss his best chance to get them. Hopefully, the needling words would push the man to let something slip. It was times like these Setsu wished he could read minds instead of hearts.

Suika

Yen
ASP
Deaths
pocdSWL.jpg

If there was anything that really grinded old man Imada’s gears, it was young children who spoke like they knew what they were talking about. Self-pity? Nursing grudges? Lashing out at others?! His face reddened as his hands grasped tightly around the shovel he wielded. This young shinobi-to-be had a sharp tongue and a lot of nerve. He reminded him of someone he once held dear to him… that boy was also a fool.

“Shut up,” muttered the man under his breath. “Shut up, Mika!” A tear strolled down the man’s face as his eyes widened in shock. Did he just… say that? What compelled him to utter a name he hadn’t spoken aloud in eons? This kid… he was different. He was doing something to him, Imada just knew it. “Errgh, it’s nothing.” He corrected himself as his tone tightened once more. “I don’t know who you are or what kind of abilities you have, kid, but I suggest you scram.” He paused… would this feisty kid give up so easily, anyway? “Feel free to look around, take what you want… just leave this old man in peace. I need to be alone.” His tone almost sounded sorrowful

With that, old man Imada dropped his shovel and went back into his house. He had given Setsu full permission to take anything he needed, which included the giant strawberries in his front yard and access to his farm in the back. If Setsu were to go back there, he’d see a variety of farm animals in their allocated places. If he went to the cattle section, he’d see only one cow with the tag “Betsy”. If he tried at her and went near her utters, Betsy would attempt to shove him away. She was a stubborn girl; she’d let no strange person touch her udders.

If Setsu were to explore, he’d find a wooden shed that was labeled “Honey Shed”, but it was locked. The rest of the farm looked as if Imada was working on tidying things up. What would Setsu do now?

[OOC: Feel free to mod this next round how you want, including Imada's interactions. We are close to being done!
Backstory: Mika is Imada's eldest brother who was chosen to be a shinobi due to his latent chakra abilities, but he died when he was a Genin. Imada despised shinobi ever since, and he is protective over young people wanting to join their ranks due to the untimely fate of his younger brother]

Suzuki Setsu

Yen
ASP
Deaths
“Shut up, Mika!”

Setsu was just as shocked as Imada was at the old farmer’s outburst. Who’s Mika? Setsu surmised that whoever this Mika person was, they were the cause of the Imada’s churlish personality. From how he had reacted to Setsu’s admission that he was taking his genin exam, the young empath surmised that ‘Mika’ had to have been a shinobi. And from the tears in the man’s eyes, ‘Mika’ was also someone Imada had cared about very much. Setsu felt extremely guilty about forcing open the man’s emotional wounds, but when a broken bone doesn’t heal correctly you need to break it again to set it properly. Imada clearly didn’t have the necessary closure when it came to Mika, and it had resulted in him becoming all twisted inside.

The old farmer grudgingly grumbled that Setsu should take what he wanted from the farm and then get lost, leaving his shovel on the ground as he headed inside. Imada’s tone was more depressed than angry at this point. The young student pondered on his next course of action. He could just collect the rest of the items on Suika’s list and go, but then he’d have reopened Imada’s emotional wounds for a short-term gain, and in the long run might have only increased the old man’s suffering. The boy wandered the farm as he pondered the matter, discovering the cow named ‘Betsy’ in the process. As he approached the cow glared at him suspiciously, and the feeling the young empath picked up from her warned him that he would more than likely be kicked if he so much as took a step towards her udders.

The boy continued to wander around the farm, stopping to pick some of the enormous strawberries he found to be especially scrumptious. The next point of interest was the aptly named Honey Shed. Setsu approached only to find the entrance locked. And not to mention, an ominous buzzing was heard from inside the shed when he had tried the handle. Setsu was quick to vacate the premises after that point.

Eventually, Setsu’s wanderings led him back to where he had initially confronted the old man. His shovel was still lying on the ground where the old farmer had dropped it. It was clear that in order to proceed any further, the boy would need to do one of two things. Talk stuff out with Imada, or take what he needed by force. The choice was obvious to Setsu.The empath picked up the shovel Imada had dropped and walked it to the house. He knocked on the door. No response. Setsu knocked harder, and Imada’s muffled voice could be heard from inside.

“I said scram. I don’t need you shinobi playing any more mind games with me.”

“But Imada-san you left your shovel ou-,”

“Just leave it. And then you leave.”

Setsu rested the shovel against the house, and then pounded on the door again, “But sir, something’s clearly bothering you, and holing up in your house isn’t the healthy response!”

“There’s only one thing here that’s “bothering” me,” the door slammed open as an irate Imada stood in the doorway, “a small brat who’s eager to die for something he barely understands!” Just inside the house Setsu saw a shrine to the deceased with incense candles recently lit. A photograph was placed on it, though Setsu couldn’t make out the subject due to the angle and lighting.

“Did Mika-san die?”

“No, Mika became the fucking Raikage. And don’t speak his name, no shinobi should be allowed to. Of course he died, the damn fool! And you’re gonna join him too, you and half those twerps in the godrotting Academy! And then the other half become mindless murder puppets for the state, so you’re probably better off dying anyway!” Setsu was still learning how to read other’s emotions, but even he could tell the anger was a mask, a shield to hide other feelings. Regret, sorrow, jealousy, concern.

“You don’t really think that, do you,” Setsu stated matter-of-factly. “You’re angry, but not at me, and only partly at Kumogakure.”

“I said shut up, kid,” Imada growled. The old farmer’s hand tightened around the door, “I think we’re done talking. I said I don’t care about what powers you have, and I believe I told you what I thought about your shinobi hocus-pocus.” He moved to shut the door, but felt resistance. Setsu had planted his feet, desperately trying to keep Imada from shutting him out.

It was a struggle for the young boy, while he had the advantage of shinobi conditioning and chakra empowering his muscles he was still just a child trying to win a contest of strength against a man who had done nothing but hard labor all his life. “Y-you’re...lying to yourself...Imada-san,” the boy panted, “about...a lot of...things. And if you...really wanted...privacy...you need to stop...wearing your heart...on your...sleeve.”

“What do you know about me, kid?! You don’t even know what I’ve been through!”

“Then tell me!” Setsu shouted, shoving his shoulder into the door. A steel wire can withstand a lot of total force when gradually applied to it, but if that same force is applied all at once, it snaps. LIkewise, Setsu’s sudden charge into the door took Imada by surprise, forcing him to stumble backwards into the shrine. The incense tumbled to the ground scattering everywhere, the picture following suit. But a pair of small hands caught the frame before it shattered on to the ground. Two people stood in the photograph, one was clearly a younger Imada, though this image of him showcased a man who was far less jaded and bitter. Next to him, stood another young man who resembled the old farmer a great deal. A great deal of confidence and pride seemed to exude from the man in the photo, and the young Imada was looking at the other boy with a mixture of pride and jealousy. Setsu placed the photograph back onto the shrine, and turned to help the old man up. “Tell me what you went through, and then I’ll understand.”

Eyes downcast, the old farmer sighed, “Fine. You want to know so bad? Mika was my brother. Early on, he was found to be chakra-sensitive and taken to become a shinobi. Everyone was all proud of him when he became a genin, then a few months later a man from the village shows up saying he ‘died in the service of the honorable Raikage and glorious Kumogakure,’” Imada almost spat the words out. “And we didn’t even get a body for a burial, said it was needed for ‘medical research.’”

“You really looked up to him, didn’t you?

“What? N-no, he was a foolish older brother who didn’t care about his family enough to come home alive. If I had-, no nevermind,” Imada cut off a sentence he had been about to finish, and bent down to start cleaning up the incense.

“If you had ‘shinobi powers’ you could have saved him? That it?”

Imada stiffened. It was a thought that ran through his head every time he saw one of Cloud’s finest. Defensively he responded, “Yeah, and?”

“There’s no guarantee you would have been sent on the same mission as him, Imada-san,” Setsu explained.

“Wouldn’t have stopped me from trying, which is more than I can say for you twiddling shinobi! Anyone of you could have done it! I’ve seen your type create storms and heal people who should have died! Why didn’t any of you save Mika! Everyone went on about protecting the damn village, who was protecting Mika? No one! And it’ll happen to you too, if you stay as one of them, left out to die alone because it would inconvenience some grand scheme I’ll bet, or something like that.”

Setsu felt an immeasurable sense of guilt behind those words. He couldn’t read minds, but he could sympathize with Imada’s feelings. Guilt, regret, and frustration. “Imada-san, Mika’s death wasn’t your fault.”

“Of course it wasn’t! It was your peoples’ damn-,”

“No! It wasn’t anybody’s fault!” Setsu raised his voice as he cut off the angry old man, “And it’s about time you accepted that! You feel sorrow, because the brother you idolized was stolen from you! You feel guilty because you resented the fact he was born with chakra potential and it soured your relationship with him! And you feel frustration because you were powerless to do anything to prevent his death!”

“You, you don’t-,” Imada’s voice began to shake a bit.

“I don’t understand? I wouldn’t know? I know what it feels like to be powerless. To be taken away from someone you care about, and how. It. Makes. You. Feel,” Setsu punctuated each word with a step forward until he was staring directly up at the taller man. The young empath was far from physically intimidating, but something about the boy’s presence refused to let the old farmer see Setsu as anything but commanding. “I can’t speak for the dead, but considering where you live, why do you think Mika would fight to protect the village until he died?” There was silence for a long while as Imada stared intently at Setsu, face contorted in anger and rage, instead of spewing more vitriol, the man just turned away from the boy. And when next he spoke it was quiet and vulnerable

“I-I know that,” the old farmer said broken-heartedly, “but I didn’t even get to say goodbye. I told him he didn’t have to go on that stupid mission, but he insisted. I said that he should take me with him to keep him safe, and he said no, because I wasn’t a shinobi. I got angry, and yelled at him, called him all sorts of awful things, anything to get him to stay. All Mika did was give that same stupid smile,” Imada laughed sadly, “The last thing I said to Mika was, ‘I never want to see your face again.’ I know a childish argument wasn’t the reason he died, and that even if I had been there I probably would have just added to the casualties. But Kumogakure was always full of strong and talented shinobi, why couldn’t they have protected him when they protected others?” Tears slowly fell from Imada’s eyes. “Look kid, you sure you don’t want to reconsider the whole shinobi career path. I’m not even one and I can tell you it’s only a path of loss and suffering.”

“I can’t,” the young boy shook his head, “because I have people who I care about who need me to do what only I can do, even if...even if they don’t want me to do it.”

Imada sighed, the boy was just like Mika, a stubborn fool. Worried too much about others that they forgot about themselves. Well this time, the old farmer wasn’t going to make the same mistake, for his sake, the boy’s and Mika’s. “What do you need from me? I’ve already said you can take what you want.”

“How do you milk a cow?” Setsu asked, and then looked a bit embarrassed as he continued, “I’m...afraid of bees.”

There was another pause before old man Imada burst out into incredulous laughter.

***​

Setsu left the farm with a hoof-shaped shiner over his left eye and swelling on both forearms. While his body was recovering quickly, the mental scarring of Imada-san’s crash course on dairy farming and beekeeping wouldn’t soon fade away. But at last he had obtained all the items on Suika-san’s list.

“Hey kid, I didn’t catch your name.”

“Suzuki Setsu.”

“Suzuki. I still don’t think you should be a shinobi. It’ll change you in odd ways, and I don’t think you’re cut out for the position, afraid of bees,” the old man snorted in laughter again. “But…,” he absent-mindedly scratched his head, “if you think that the shinobi lifestyle is too much for you, I might have a few openings for a farmhand.”

“Thanks, Imada-san!” Setsu called back as he left the farm waving good-bye. He scurried back towards the Academy grounds to deliver his collected goods to Suika.

Suika

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Waiting under a tree on top of a crimson plaid blanket, Suika took out a few plates and napkins out of a wood-woven basket. The sun, at this point, was finally setting to rest as many students made their way home from Kumogakure's Academy. It was about that time that her examinee should have returned - would Setsu make it back to claim his right into shinobihood? Suika had her hunch, so she continued to neatly lay out all the necessary items beneath her.

"Oh, right on cue," she confirmed as she saw the face of a familiar boy emerge from the distance. As he drew closer, the kunoichi noticed all the ingredients he carried with him, but was quickly distracted from that when she glimpsed his bruised eye and his unusually inflated arms. She winced as she clenched her teeth openly. "Ouch." Man, old man Imada sure did a number on him! As the young student approached her, she stood and motioned at the cloth before them. "Welcome back, Setsu. Feel free to drop what you have on this blanket as I check off the list I gave you." Luckily for the boy, this would probably be the easiest part of the exam. The Chuunin revealed a neutral expression as she quietly hummed and examined the ingredients he acquired. Once she was finished, she pointed for him to sit as she grabbed the goods and went to work. Manifesting an ethereal knife (because why not), she expertly sliced the bread and began to prepare what obviously looked like two generously sized sandwiches. It was clear which direction she was headed with this, wasn't that foreseen from the start?

"So..." she broke the silence as she casually jammed the strawberries along with hints of honey, "what did you take away from today, Setsu?" She had no real expectation for his answer, but she was sincerely curious if this exam impacted him in the slightest. She had her little birdies sending her reports throughout, but she wanted to know straight from the kid's mouth himself. Also, it was important for a shinobi to reflect, especially since half their job was giving reports and learning from each mission completed.

Suika gave the empath the time he needed to answer her question. By the time he finished, two strawberry jam sandwiches, accompanied by one bottled milk for each of them, would be served and ready to be eaten. The girl's mouth watered as she picked up her own sandwich and prepared for her long-anticipated bite. "Dig in, Setsu! You deserve it," she affirmed with a pleased grin. Upon tasting her concoction, Suika's eyes widened and instantly watered. It tasted amazing! At that moment, the sweet-toothed ninja was super grateful for the young boy's arduous efforts. Would it be too much to skip over Genin and promote him directly to Chuunin right now? That's how much she enjoyed her evening snack!

After what she anticipated would be some more laughs and talk, the girl was soon finished her meal. The moon began to reveal itself as the twinkling stars of the night sky peeked around it. "I'm thoroughly impressed with you, Setsu. Old man Imada is hard as a rock, so much so that my colleagues thought this exam would be damn near unpassable." Reaching into her basket one last time, the kunoichi brought out a shining headband with Kumogakure's symbol of allegiance etched into it. Holding it out toward the now former student, she continued. "Congratulations, Setsu. By the power granted to me by our Lord Raikage, our Lady Sennin, and the Will of Lightning, you are now promoted to a Genin of Kumogakure." Suika's smile beamed brighter than ever. "Also, I noticed you have a way of influencing those around you in some capacity. It's your choice where you'll end up, but I will gladly recommend you to both our Diplomat's subbranch and KSIS, especially as a higher-ranking officer of each. Your talents would fit there quite excellently, I feel, but I'm sure you'll do great in whichever field you aspire to pursue."

Suika, with freakish speed, packed up her picnic set and gestured the boy with a one-handed salute and a wink. "I hope to see you around, Setsu. Until next time!" With that, the Chuunin was off. While she doubted any future exams would lead to such delectable results, she was glad she had the opportunity today to witness a youth of her village rise into the ranks. She was also excited, too, to see the working impact Setsu would inevitably provide their village. After all, she had full confidence in the boy who could expose the flesh of a heart of stone.

[Topic Left]

[OOC: Congrats, Setsu, you are now a Genin of Kumogakure! Thank you for your immense patience throughout this process, and an even huger thanks for all the great reads! I love your RP style and the life you brought to this narrative! No request will be needed, as I'll provide you your rank-up banner right now. Enjoy shinobihood!]

Suzuki Setsu

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Setsu approached the Academy as the sun set, weary and sore, but with purpose. He had finally made it back. Suika indicated where he could place all the items so she could check them off the list. He first placed the scroll with the bread down and unsealed it, revealing the baked good as fresh as it was this morning. Next he set down the milk, gingerly removing the icy blue stone that rested on top of the container. The liquid inside was perfectly chilled, and ready for consumption. Finally the giant strawberry and jar of honey were laid next the milk and bread.

The chuunin summoned an otherworldly knife and began slicing the bread and preparing two large sandwiches. One for herself and one for the boy. While she did so, Suika asked what he learned. The young empath thought back on the events of the day. The bakery, Imada-san, bees and cows. There was a lot to unpack from his experiences. “Well. That being assertive is important to achieving our goals. That a shinobi’s job isn’t always just fighting for the Raikage, but taking care of the people of Lightning. And that bees are terrifying.” Setsu visibly shuddered at that last remark. Granted his body was already healing from the myriad stings that Imada’s bees had left him with, but the pain was still very fresh in Setsu’s mind.

He took one of the offered sandwiches, and Suika eagerly took the other. He could feel the joy radiating from her as she bit into her food. Setsu dug in as well, marveling at how good the sandwich tasted. Was it the skill of the chef? The quality of the food? Or perhaps the satisfaction of a reward for a job well done? Perhaps it was all of these things. After the pair finished their food, Suika had one more present for the boy. A headband. The headband. The one only given to individuals officially recognized by Kumogakure as a full-fledged shinobi.

"Congratulations, Setsu. By the power granted to me by our Lord Raikage, our Lady Sennin, and the Will of Lightning, you are now promoted to a Genin of Kumogakure."

Those words meant the world to the boy, becoming a shinobi had never been his goal. Just a means to it. A necessary step towards reuniting with his mother and father. Still, it was nice to be praised. There were few people who would celebrate the achievements of a lowly student graduating from his Academy days, after all. And Suika was one such person. The chuunin mentioned that his talents would be extremely useful among the more diplomatic part of the main branch and offered to recommend him to one of them, but didn’t pressure the boy for an answer immediately. Instead the girl packed up with super-human speed and bid him farewell, leaving the empath with only his thoughts and the encroaching dark of night.

KSIS. That was the designation given to the shinobi that had conscripted him two years ago. Would I be able to steal more people like myself from their families? He mused. No. It would be impossible for him, especially now. His own grief and anger at being taken away from his mother and father would make him unsuitable for the task. At least not yet. He didn’t have to decide now. First he needed to make peace with his own situation, if he wanted to go that route.

Diplomat. Someone who regularly interacts with those of political power as a representative of the Raikage and Sennin. The thought of acting on behalf of Kumogakure was a foreign concept to the young boy, who had grown up as the child of peasants and just now had become a rank-and-file ninja. Obviously he knew he wouldn’t be expected to fulfill many responsibilities as a thirteen year old child, but he would be groomed to fill positions of ever-increasing authority and influence as his own capabilities grew.

I don’t have to choose now. The young empath thought to himself as he left the academy grounds, For now I made it to genin. Maybe once I find my parents, they might be able to help me. It was a feeble hope, for the longer Setsu stayed in this world of chakra, blades, and bludgeons, the more Setsu would realize that he would need to make his own decisions.

[Topic Left]

MFT
WC: 732

Current Ninpocho Chronicles Time:

Back