Ninpocho Chronicles

Ninpocho Chronicles is a fantasy-ish setting storyline, set in an alternate universe World of Ninjas, where the Naruto and Boruto series take place. This means that none of the canon characters exists, or existed here.

Each ninja starts from the bottom and start their training as an Academy Student. From there they develop abilities akin to that of demigods as they grow in age and experience.

Along the way they gain new friends (or enemies), take on jobs and complete contracts and missions for their respective villages where their training and skill will be tested to their limits.

The sky is the limit as the blank page you see before you can be filled with countless of adventures with your character in the game.

This is Ninpocho Chronicles.

Current Ninpocho Chronicles Time:

[Dual Search] Of fox shrines and holes

Aurora

Yen
ASP
Deaths

Sora, Village of ancestry

Searching for a Fox Contract with the help of 'Discovery of Contract of your Choice'. Buy approval here: [x]
Entering with Misaki Aikayume.

Aurora

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Sora. The village was not quite like Misaki had expected it to be. As a Village located in the desert she had expected to hold more sand and drought. Instead, she found a village rich with greens. Trees and plants adorned the streets, the verdant palette of colours truly being a sight for sore eyes to the kitsune who was used the more sand-toned colours of Sunagakure. The blistering heat she was used too was so much as gone here, waved away by the refreshing sprinkling caused by water streams and the nearby sea. It felt like stepping into an entirely different world, the contract between Sora and Sunagakure being huge. Not surprisingly, the two-tailed kitsune would wander around, letting her eyes feast upon this marvellous place until she eventually reached the harbour itself. The scent of fish would waft in, making her wrinkle her nose in annoyance, but laying eyes on the sea was cause for her mind to go quiet. For the first time, Misaki beheld the mass of water that was the sea. The way the sunrays were reflected in the dancing waves, a silver shine in the clear blue waters. The salty scent sobering up the mind and reminding it of the rhythm of Nature's Lifegiver itself. The cool breeze that was sporadically blown into her face, pushing her ears backwards in protection as her hair allowed itself to be taken aloft. The whole idyllic picture was magnificent to behold.

Her admiration for Sora would be interrupted by an older man drawing her attention. Much like her eyes had practically bulged out in amazement, so did his when he laid eyes on the kitsune. With a hint of curiosity she'd turn her head to look at him, eyes assessing the situation. He'd smile, bow slightly and apologise.

"Two tails... You're a kitsune of the Aikayume, are you not?"
"Yes? Yes, that's right."

He seemed overjoyed at those words.

"Finally the kami have heard my prayers. I'm sorry, I'm Bai Gu. Devoted to Inari Okami but not exactly a priest. You see, very recently, our shrine maiden died. She lived a healthy 81 years old, but I guess it was time for her to depart."
"I'm sorry to hear that."
"Yes, it's a shame. She was such a nice person... And now that she's gone, the shrine has been left to rot. There were no other miko to follow her up as most people tend to lean more towards the kami of the seas and trade, so we're left without any priestess. I thought... You've come to pick up where she left, didn't you?"
"Me...?", she smiled sheepishly. "There must be some mistake. My mother only asked me to deliver something."
"I see... Then, could I ask for a request instead?"
"I'll take it you want me to visit the shrine?", she'd ask with a giggle, upon which he nodded. "I would do that. My mother would be disappointed if I didn't"
"Oh, thank you so much! I'll show you the way, it's a bit of a walk."

It would take the two of them a full twenty minutes before they reached the dilapidated shrine. The stones that had given it shape were old, cracked and in some places already missing. A young ivy was growing on the sides, undertaking the arduous mission of covering the whole shrine. The roof seemed rather new compared to that but the wooden fabrication was in dire need of a new layer of lacquer and paint. The small shrine could house about a five people, including the small altar in the back. The interior had gathered quite a bit of dust, it's already soberly decorated presence not having changed much otherwise.

"This is it. It's pretty dusty since she passed away. I tried to keep the ivy from ruining the stones but I'm not of the youngest either."
"That's very kind of you. As a miko of Inari and daughter of the Priestess, I thank you on behalf of the Aikayume Temple. I'll see what I can do to get it cleaned and restored and deliver the message of the local priestess' passing as soon as I'm back in Sunagakure."

The man smiled brightly and nodded in understanding. Feeling he had done his duty, he'd say his goodbyes and leave the actual work to Misaki. Lacquer, paint, a broom. Those would be the physical objects required for its maintenance, but the spiritual cleansing was something else. Entering the shrine, she'd make her way to the table and prepare a small ceremony. She emptied the bowl on the small altar, took out a bundle of incense from her pouch and lit it with a spark of her own katon. As the earthen scent of the cleansing incense enriched the shrine's air, Misaki would commence her prayers in hopes to call forward a few spirits that could come to her aide...

Muramasa Maya

Yen
ASP
Deaths
A most curious scent floated through the air, Azusa's nose keenly honing in on the smell.

While the most notable difference between the air of Suna and Sora would certainly be the scent of the sea carried within the humid winds, that, itself, was not what had captivated Azusa's attention --the desert fox vastly preferred the arid climate of the sands in the first place--. No, there was something this seaside locale offered that could not compare with Sunagakure; Sora had always been a fishing village at its heart.

Sizzle. Crack.

The scent that had the kitsune so enthralled was the searing fish being cooked over an open flame before her. At this moment, she was not the Lady of the Toraono. She was not the once-Priestess of the Aikayume. She was simply a hungry vixen eager to sink her canines into the seared skin of the fishkabab, making no effort in the slightest at restraining her seven tails from swaying with anticipation.

Yet, a woman of whims, a faint sensation reached her, causing her golden ears twitch as if tugged. Spirits were a most curious thing. The moment someone like Misaki had entered the sacred grounds of the shrine was enough to create oddities in the spiritual energy of the shrine. And while Azusa's affinity as a priestess had been crippled since her exile, her connection was not severed completely; like faint ripples across the still surface of a pond, the gold vixen could follow the disturbance to its source...

...Of course she had made sure to take along, her seared fish, albeit, at the cost of leaving behind her treasured blade in the care of one of her attending Toraono as she went to investigate alone --she was a vixen with priorities you see--.

With curiosity, Azusa watched the little one before her --yes, the short statured Azusa had viewed the other as a "small" despite the two being nearly identical in height, and yes, if the two were to stand side-by-side the results would not be in Azusa's favor-- however any proper kitsune knew the size of a vixen was not in her height, but her tails.
...At least according to Azusa's unbiased logic.

Perhaps Misaki would notice her. Perhaps the younger kitsune would overlook her admist the many tasks she had focused on. Eventually (in about the time it took for her to eat one of her treasured fishkababs), Azusa would finish her observation from the outskirts of the near-empty shrine and moved to approach the main building and Misaki, following the scent of incense. Without a word, she placed one of her seared fish skewers on the table as an offering; bowing not once, but twice. Followed clapping her hands twice, and finishing with a final bow. Only then did she speak;

"You have done well in respecting this small shrine, so far from the Village, little one. As expected of a proud Aikayume."

For better and worse, Misaki's ritual had attracted Azusa.

[Dual Search entered]

Tomomi

Yen
ASP
Deaths
For a long time, this tiny little shrine had been one of the hustle and bustle locations that tourists and residents of Sora would visit to receive the blessings of the priestess that used to reside here after giving a small offering to her as compensation. It was through these offerings and the traffic to the shrine that this well-seasoned shrine maiden lived a comfortable life in her home and the tiny, but adorable shrine continued to flourish throughout the years going from a one-person structure to one that was able to house around 5 or so people at a time. It had been known as one of the most beautiful places in Wind Country to visit if people could endure the harsh climate of the deserts that surrounded it which contained numerous threats that hide within the dunes and storms like scorpions, wolves, bandits, hykal, carnasaurs, and sandworms. Unfortunately after the priestess died recently, there were fewer and fewer people who would continue to visit the shrine and those that did were paying their respects often for the woman that used to live there and not the spirits. Due to this shrine losing its popularity, it became more and more difficult to maintain the elegance and flair that it once had which resulted in it becoming a shell of its former self.

Fortunately for the caretaker and the shrine itself, two young women that had the most beautiful ears and tails in the world would find themselves at this shrine today. The younger one had stumbled upon it after the caretaker had taken her to it and she did not hesitate to begin to get to work on bringing it to its former glory. The elder Aikayume, as they were known in the Sunagakure, would find her relative a short time later and they would meet one another at the alter of the shrine where incense was in the air and it was getting quite thick which was not typical unless lit in an enclosed location. Regardless of any cracks in the alter that would allow the smoke to leave, a large ball of it would form above them and within a few moments would resemble a face of a young maiden who would begin to speak to them: "Welcome to my former home, Ladies of the Aikayume Clan. What has brought you here this afternoon? Do you wish to provide an offering to me so I can instill good fortune upon you or have you come here for another reason. Speak now!" The voice was thunderous and echoed around the room, yet it was not piercing to the ears of the sensitive kitsune women that had appeared in this shrine. In all honesty, it was somewhat calming hearing her speak and some may have even said they were hearing an angel speaking in front of them when they visited the shrine and gave their offerings in the past.

While they were talking with the voice and the alter began to get thicker with incense smoke through unknown means, a few smaller bodies had stumbled to the entrance of the alter and were watching the scene unfolding in front of them. If either of the young kitsune would notice or feel something and decided to turn around, they would be able to see the silhouettes of two figures that were smaller than they were in height and seemed to have perky, little ears. It was easy to assume what they might be, but assumptions also had a tendency to make fools out of people.

Aurora

Yen
ASP
Deaths
As she uttered her prayers in reverence to the Celestial Fox Inari Okami, a second person would quietly join her. An offering of her own would be placed on the altar, bows be made and claps be done. It was not often her fox ears caught the sound of someone so familiar with the Aikayume rituals, so as she finished her prayers Misaki opened her eyes to look at the person next to her in curiosity. She really wanted to know who the blessed soul was to join her on their own initiative. What she saw perplexed her somewhat, as another kitsune stood there and praised her for taking care of the shrine despite the distance away from the main Aikayume Temple.

But... Even if Misaki had only childhood memories to compare this person with, there was something familiar about the voice the elder kitsune spoke with. Like she was supposed to recognise it. It sounded like that of her mother but there was a difference still. The golden colour of the ears and... "Woah! So many tails?!", she stated completely bewildered at the unusual sight of seven fluffs. She knew of only one kitsune who carried seven tails. A kitsune for whom she had rooted in the arena and sneakily had bet on despite far from being the age to allow such practises - fox tricks could bring one far if you were daring. But, the one person who supposedly carried that amount of tails was someone she hadn't seen in a decade, the story behind it being hush-hush'd under fox wiles and pride.

"A-auntie..? Auntie Azusa?", she asked in disbelieve still, not sure if she was just dreaming or if this was more some side-effect from the incense. Turning her head as if to make sure it really wasn't a mind-trick by the essence, she threw a glance at the scenting stick only to notice that it was creating an unusual amount of smoke but she didn't sense a connection between that and the appearance of the exiled kitsune no one wanted to talk about. "Is that really you...?"

She would listen to the answer of the seven-tails standing next to her who peaked only slightly above her despite having to be quite a bit older than the teenager she was herself but as the incense's shroud grew thicker still, Misaki really started to wonder if she hadn't put up one too many scenting stick too much in this ritual. It would turn even stranger when the incense mist started to shape itself into a face, its voice echoing into the small shrine. Taking out a small bottle of high quality sake, Misaki held it up in front of the face as she believed it to be a spirit having come to her call and placed it on the altar.

"I'd say both, spirit. The finest sake for Inari in offering, while I personally wanted to request aide in restoring the shrine to a more acceptable state. I believe myself to be lacking in knowledge of carpentry and other such talents to fully do the shrine credit. I'm Misaki Aikayume, priestess of Inari Okami. Would you be willing to help me?"

Muramasa Maya

Yen
ASP
Deaths
The little ones acknowledgement brought a smile to Azusa. An Aikayume's tails were their prided treasures, and though her name could be exiled from the clan, the seven golden tails were undeniable proof of her bloodline.

"Oho?" Though while the white one recognized her first, it was not until Misaki's comments that Azusa realized who she was speaking with. And could you blame her? Misaki may have been her sister's daughter, but she was still just a tiny kit last she saw her; let alone grown enough to be wandering beyond the village boundaries. "...To think you have grown so much! You have certainly grown into your tails, little Misaki."

Seeing the younger Aikayume left Azusa with a most curious feeling. Pride; and while the vixen was at no loss for any amount of Pride, it had always been directed at herself. Her own vanity. And yet now? The pride she felt upon seeing Misaki here, attending to this shrine...It was perhaps the first time she felt pride intended for someone other than herself. It was a warm feeling she that was lost to her for nearly a decade..

Family

"It has been some time." Azusa spoke, noting the increasing smoke in response to Misaki's ritual. Her tails swayed as she guessed at what was to come; and eager to see how her niece would handle the situation. "...I am curious to see how far your training as Priestess has come; my sister can be quite careless you see."

As Azusa herself had only come to Sora on a whim, she certainly carried nothing on hand that would normally be used as an offering. Aside from the seared fish she had placed on the altar. "I only have my respect to offer, proud spirit. What brings me here is to see how the little one fulfills her duties as Priestess."

Her large ears had twitched in response to a subtle change; perhaps it was a shift in the air. Or the sound of gravel. Small, but slight enough to alert her warrior's senses that the ones within the shrine were not alone. Enough to keep her alert. "...You say "former" home, honorable spirit. But a shrine devoid of the spirit it is meant to house is merely wood and stone. Do the ones approaching from outside belong to you?"

Tomomi

Yen
ASP
Deaths
The answers and actions of the two fluffy multi-tailed individuals that graced the spirit with their presence was admirable. Both of them appeared to brim with eagerness and excitement when they stumbled upon the shrine of this priestess which would merely increase when being welcomed by the old priestess of this once-elegant shrine. However, neither of them could be truly sure what to expect meeting a spirit that formulated itself from the very smoke that was to cleanse these ritual grounds and seemingly had not gone from this world to the heavenly, celestial skies above. A spirit that had not left this plan of existence was not entirely unheard of, but a shrine devoid of its spirit or priestess was nothing more than wood and stone as the infamous Toraono Clan head would state to the spirit. Many questions would likely be asked by the curious kitunes of Wind Country as their encounter with the spirit continued on.

However, any further inquiries from either of these petite young ladies would have to wait momentarily as the smoke would shift from the entryway allowing the two figures that stood from outside the entryway to make their entry within. As they began to walk in, the two Aikayume young ladies would see two adorable white fox cubs, that couldn't be more than a few weeks old, jumping on one another and chase each other around playfully while the spirit above them could be seen shaking her head. Yes, they were absolutely cute and anyone would kill to be able to claim one of them as their own precious little pet, but the ladies of the Aikayume Clan had to stay focused as they were not in their own village currently meaning they had to give the respect that a shrine not claimed by them deserved. Within a few moments of their entrance, the spirit would resume speaking once more to the young kitsune beneath her calmly and collective: "As we can see from their presence, these little fur-balls, that have much growing to do, belong to the shrine and are only two of many that are under the watchful eyes of the Inari Ōkami whom goes by another name that I have never actually gotten the chance to know. She is a beautiful woman in her forms, don't get me wrong, but she is far too emotional and busy to grace anyone with her presence. Only those truly worthy of her grace ever have received the opportunity of meeting her which I was one. Unfortunately, my time on this world has passed and I will never be given the opportunity to meet her again, but maybe she will see something in you two that catches her eye. You are both after-all blessed with the spirit of a kitune if your physical appearances are anything to go by so there is a chance."

There would be a brief pause after she spoke. It was a moment for them all to digest what was going on as the white cubs behind them would continue to roll around on the floor playing with one another instead of welcoming the guests of their home like a polite host should do. However, they were still young and naive with a lot of growing up to do so it was nothing to worry about entirely for now. After looking over everyone in front of her, the spirit would speak once more: "You are right, bustier Aikayume that a shrine without its spirit is nothing more than a house made of stone and wood, but this shrine is watched over by the Inari Ōkami as are all shrines devoted to her and the kitsune of this world. It would be safe to assume that your own shrines back home are being watched by her as well. As for you, Misaki, I cannot help you in aiding my former shrine or acquiring the skills that you need to give it the respect that it deserves. However, you have your relative who seems quite knowledge and seasoned like a fine wine beside you, I would utilize her knowledge to bring my former home to its former glory. However, there is something that I need of you two before you begin anything. Are you prepared to learn what that is, young ladies of the Aikayume Clan?"

With those last few words, the playful cubs would look up at her as the spirit's demeanor seemed to change as she appeared to become saddened by something. It was anyone's guess what was going on in her mind, but surely it couldn't have been something that they said or done since they had been polite and respectable young ladies to a spirit as was expected from anyone who believed in something in this world of a higher power. Only time would truly tell what the spirit needed of them both, but as she waited for their response, she would notice more bodies moving outside the entrance. It was anyone's guess as to who it was; it could possibly be someone giving a prayer, a relative to these cubs, or even someone who wanted to bring harm to the shrine!

Aurora

Yen
ASP
Deaths
'Little' Misaki was fifteen years. She would generally have pointed that out, proud about not being a child, but at this moment the emotions of seeing back her aunt from this close were getting the better of her. The kitsune would embrace Azusa, burying her face into the elder's chest to hide the tears of joy that welled up in response. It wasn't that she disliked being emotional but... she disliked others seeing her like that. As the proud daughter of the Priestess she was of a mind she had to keep up the appearances of being strong-willed to maintain the Temple's image of unwavering spiritual persistence. When most of the emotional outburst had come to pass, she let go of Azusa to wipe what little remained of her tears and nodded with a giggle in response to Akiko being quite careless at times.

"She sleeps so much uncle and the other priestesses do most of the chores.", she had preferred to pout that the unfairness of it all but couldn't help but laugh instead. Her answer didn't say much on how her training went as priestess but it was easily assumed that the kitsune being right here to take care of the shrine, originally by herself, left little to doubt that she was doing something priestly, at least. Aside from assisting ceremonies, sometimes even leading one when her mother failed to get out of bed, and running around Sunagakure to purify crazed spirits or bless the people, there was not much else she was doing or being taught. Running a Temple and delegating duties certainly wasn't something she was being shown despite the unaware fact of the Blood Ceremony inching closer by the day.

Caught in the moment, Misaki hadn't paid attention to her surroundings and was surprised to hear Azusa mention them. Laying her gaze upon their existence, the two figures revealed themselves as two white fox cubs, unlocking an [color=#CC000]"awww"[/color] from the white kitsune who found them most adorable. Were it not she had a duty to do, she'd have petted and nuzzled them. Given them the attention a fox was deserving, if she had to consider so herself. Instead, her ears would pick up the words the spirit shared with them. Inari Okami, the celestial fox Misaki so revered, had once graced the former watcher of the shrine. Hearing this unlocked a smile from Misaki in the process, tails faintly wagging contently. The suggestion to work together with her aunt in the restoration of the shrine was instantly and wordlessly approved, of course, for who else than the seven-tailed fluff, disregarding her exiled status and fully including Misaki's shameless bias on all things Aikayume, would make the perfect ally to make Inari's shrine better than it currently was?

"I'm all ears", she replied to the spirit, who seemed to be saddened by an unknown burden all of a sudden.

Muramasa Maya

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Azusa was stunned. In one motion, the younger Aikayume had completely defeated her.

By embracing Azusa.

The Lady Toraono was extremely proud. She was spiteful and unforgiving when she felt that pride was challenge. When the Aikayume had exiled her, it was no small amount of resentment that she held. Restoring that honor had since been her goal, and at one point she had even considered reclaiming her former title as "Priestess" through force, strength, and blood.

Yet, when she saw the pure delight in Misaki...Her feelings of ambition made her feel ugly. (It seems...I still have much to learn.) She returned the white kitsune's hug, and despite being one who wielded flames in battle, it was the warmest she could remember feeling in years. "Really....what an energetic one you are..."

---

Azusa's attention was divided between listening to the words of the spirit manifested before them, while her eyes could not help but latch onto two snowy kits playing amongst themselves. Such tiny things, innocently playing...

"...eheheh..." Her normally serious expression melted. Why --if she was not in the graceful presence of of a spirit-- she would have no doubt collapsed onto her knees and lured the two kits over to bestow her affection. In fact, her ears and tails swayed in eagerness...

"An Aikayume could never ignore such small kits."Azusa glanced at the twin foxes. "The task of maintaining this shrine is beyond these two at the present point. And if my little Misaki will be assisting--" Her eyes darted over to the younger fox. "--I could not -possibly- leave her alone. You shall have my full assistance."

Yes, Azusa looked at Misaki with similar adoration she displayed toward the fox cubs.

Tomomi

Yen
ASP
Deaths
A simple, gentle smile would surface onto the face of this spirit as the two kitsune of the Aikayume Clan agreed to assist her with what she needed from them. Their grace and generosity to this kindred spirit would not be forgotten after their "mission" would be complete for the spirit as they were likely be watched close and afar from different spirits that tied into this shrine that they stumbled upon on this fateful day. Of course, their attention was likely be divided between this womanly figure in front of them and the adorable snowy fox cubs behind them that had begun to play-fight with one another again after the mood in the room had changed for the better once more. Such carefree creatures that would eventually grow up to be elegantly and wise foxes more likely than not; they definitely were embracing their "childhood" while they could which was good even though one or both of these Aikayume ladies were likely going to claim them and their family as allies or more likely than not, pets.

Regardless of what the future had in store for them, the focus in the room would shift to the figure in front of them once more as she spoke to them both calm and collectively: "Thank you, Ladies of the Aikayume Clan. The task that I have for you two should be a relatively simple one as you both grew up surrounded by priestesses that focused on purifying areas corrupted by evil spirits and offering prayers and blessings for the less fortunate. As you can see this shrine used to be my home and it is devoid of a spirit now which is not good at all..." She would trail off momentarily to gather her thoughts as her time here had been a rewarding and blissful one, but she knew that her time had passed and she needed to give the torch to someone else before her former shrine was simply that a former shrine devoid of reason. Once a moment or so passed, she would speak once more to them: "...this is why I am asking you two to be the spirits of this shrine moving forward as I can no longer serve that purpose after I passed. However before you two begin your processes and procedures to make the shrine your own, I request one other favor and I think it is a simple task for you two. That task is performing a ritual to allow me to move on in the afterlife and loosen my grip and commitment to this shrine as it is not mine anymore. Surely, you both can understand what I am asking, no?"

With those last words leaving her mouth, the spirit would wait for their responses patiently as she looked over at the two fox cubs wrestling around behind the two future protectors and spirits of her former shrine hopefully. Those two little cubs in many ways resembled the two ladies in front of them when times were much simpler for them prior to becoming shinobi for their village, she assumed. She could remember back to a time when things were all fun and games before she became the spirit of this shrine and her life changed significantly for better and for worse depending on the perspective that one associated with it. However being here in front of two bright-minded individuals with good heads on their shoulders from what she could see, she couldn't help but give another smile as she waited as they would do just fine taking over her role if they choose to do so. Of course, they could always turn tail and leave this all behind if they so chose to do so since it was a big task and request being given from this respectable spirit in front of them; in any case, it would likely take them a few moments of conversing to reach their final decision. But, this spirit could wait as she obviously had nowhere else to be.

Aurora

Yen
ASP
Deaths
The task offered was two-fold yet rather simple. One part involved being a bridge for the spirit so she could pass, the other involved the purification and sanctification of the area. Both were rituals Misaki had performed in the past, the first generally done on bakemono and yokai who were not as willing to cooperate, the little exorcist moving around Sunagakure to bring spiritual peace there where it was needed. For that occasion she had a technique of her own, taught by her mother. The Nine Sages Celestial Purification did take a lot of concentration and was not one to be taken lightly in its execution even for a trained priestess like her mother, but perhaps it would suffice if she toned down on its power. The spirit in question was not exactly being difficult here. In fact, the opposite was true since she had expressed her desire to cross over. That left them with the simple task of purifying the ground and the area. Sanctifying it for Inari Okami. Rituals such as these were executed on a daily base and basically an introductory part of every ritual of some importance to the Aikayume. A matter of burning some incense and chanting the right mantras, really.

"That shouldn't be the hardest of tasks.", Misaki nodded in agreement with the spirit's request. "Right, auntie?"

But as easily the rituals were, a couple of unspoken consequences would come to pass. If the spirit passed on, the two fox kits remained without a guardian. The temple itself was in need of some pampering too, so reparations and a new layer of painting and lacquer was most likely a second unspoken task. Not to forget that both kitsune were from Sunagakure rather than Sora, so none of them could really stay here for too long. A priestess would have to be appointed this shrine permanently. Not something Misaki could do herself, but poking her mother about it might do the trick? At the very least she would have to inform Akiko about this shrine and the passing of the priestess that had tended to it for so long. In any case, she certainly couldn't deal with the -whole- situation by herself or at this instant.

As her eyes overlooked the spirit, the kits and the shrine piece by piece, mind looking to figure out solutions, Misaki wove her hands together pensively. She certainly knew her own talents and skills, but she had no real idea of what Azusa could do. Considering the seven tails the elder kitsune bore, the power she held would be a mountain compared to Misaki's but the real question Misaki had was: did Azusa's long absence in the temple affect her knowledge and ritualism? For almost a decade the two-tails had not seen her aunt and none talked about her either. So many questions burned at the tip of Misaki's tongue she almost had to bite it just so she wouldn't throw a barrage of questions. Like, where had she been? What had she been doing? Why didn't she visit? Questions which had remained unanswered for so long, yet didn't matter in this very moment.

"What approach do you think we should take, auntie?"

This was perhaps the only question she could ask that'd reveal some craved answers. An elder kitsune probably knew far more than she did anyway.

Muramasa Maya

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Oh, how it brought the Lady of the Toraono no small amount of pride to hear from the lingering remains of the shrine guardian that she was familiar with the Aikayume clan and their rituals. When it came to the workings of a proper shrine, the Aikayume were second to none-- though if you asked Azusa personally, she would always say they were second to none in -everything...but that is beside the point;

Azusa listened to the spirit's request; it was no small task what was being asked of them. However...The golden vixen's eyes glanced at the younger Aikayume kitsune; this would be a very ideal task for young Misaki, who herself seemed very ambitious. Azusa's lips curled into an appreciative smile; (As expected of an Aikayume. Let me see your technique, little one)[/i] Azusa thought to herself.

She thought over the situation as Misaki had asked her opinion; "Oh, is it not obvious, little one? You are to be Priestess of the Aikayume; it is only natural that you shall be the one to grant this Spirit a much-deserved rest. Let us witness the display of the future Aikayume Priestess." Azusa spoke. For so long, she was determined to reclaim her position as Priestess of the Aikayume...and yet, with Misaki here...Azusa felt no disdain. No, she absolutely wanted to support the younger kitsune.

"Proud Spirit, you have done well to serve this shrine for so well. You are well deserving of a proper rest, and the little one here shall ensure you have a proper passage." The seven-tails gestured toward Misaki. "I, Toraono-aikayume Azusa, shall take this shrine under my own protection. What you ask is no small task; this shrine lies beyond the my home of Suna...however your resolution here has touched me; it would be cruel to deny your final wish."

This was for two reasons; the first, being that Misaki's capabilities as a shrine maiden had already surpassed Azusa's own. Or rather, that Azusa's capabilities had been stunted ever since her fateful encounter with the demon Akkuma. While it had absolutely left her a stronger warrior, her shrine skills could never hope to compete against Misaki's, who held the Blood of the Priestess much like Azusa once had. Considering she would have perished if not for the Byakko blood within her, having her shrine techniques crippled when she lost the Aikayume Blood was a small price to pay.

The second of the reasons; her life force was vast. As a seven-tailed Aikayume, she had power to spare; linking herself to this shrine as its guardian spirit was not an impossible task. a burden? Certainly. But she had the blood of spirits, and could fulfill the role of the shrine's guardian spirit even if not physically present. Of course, she would have to make routine check ins to monitor the shrine...
...And this very obviously had nothing to do with the fact that she was fond of the local fish here.

"Are you ready, honorable spirit? If you have no further requests, the Aikayume shall ease your worries."

Tomomi

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Her eyes would shut briefly as the two relatives of the Aikayume Clan would converse with one another to discuss the best matter of fulfilling her requests. She was well aware that her request was something that a mere mortal on this plane of existence would be unable to do since many people lacked the skills and resolve to do something that was asked of them without even questioning it. These two young ladies of this well-established and well-known clan however were different than mere mortals and they had the knowledge of how to help a spirit move on to the afterlife in peace without having negative consequences or at least that is what she believed. Of course, she barely knew them so her assumptions could be wrong, but she was a priestess much like the older Aikayume had been and she felt like they would be able to help her with no problems.

In fact, she was ready for them to assist her, but the little cubs had other thoughts. Yes, they thought that it would be best to be adorable and cuddle as they continued to wrestle around behind the group, but were slowly getting closer and closer with every passing moment. It was also highly likely that members of their family were watching from afar at the whole ordeal transpiring between them and the one between the Aikayume ladies and this unfortunate spirit. Yet if they were, they were not radiating off any negative energy towards these strange kitsune-like women and were concealing their presences quite well. But for now, the Aikayume clan members had more pressing matters to worry about which were cleansing this place to their satisfaction and also helping this spirit move on to a better place as she had done her deed as priestess for long enough. It was time for new blood to fill the void left behind and time for someone new to be praised for their beauty, elegance, and wits which was quite easily up Misaki Azusa's alley due to the pampering and praise that she had grown accustomed to growing up under Byakko Kyuji's watch among other things.

In any case, the spirit in front of these two girls had been easily distracted by the cubs behind them which was not a surprise since they were so adorable. But as soon as she refocused on them, she would look down at them both and being to speak once more: "I am ready and thank you, bustier Aikayume known as Azusa. Please watch over this shrine and the foxes that reside within and around it. I hope one day when your time in this plane of existence has passed that we meet again on the other side and I can tell you more about myself and this shrine. Misaki, please begin the procedure to help me move on to the afterlife that I so longed for." This is all that she would say before becoming silent and awaiting what would transpire next between the three of them; she however truly hoped that they could do what she wished now and in the future. But as the writer of this always says, only time will tell!~

Aurora

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Misaki nodded at the suggestion she stepped up to bring the spirit to rest. She'd chuckle at the idea of being the future Priestess of the clan, a truth she remained willingly oblivious about as the kitsune didn't believe her mother would pass on any time soon. Akiko,as far as Misaki knew, was a strong woman despite her laziness. Her rituals were spot on, her decisions holding a wisdom Misaki couldn't yet grasp. Where the younger Aikayume would have made more obvious choices or short-sighted ones, at least in comparison to Akiko's, her mother always seemed to know something she didn't. Unfortunately, prying lose that information from her mother was more trouble than it was worth, the older kitsune elusive to the bone. Misaki wondered if Azusa was like that too as she couldn't quite remember her aunt being like that - what she remembered was, well, very much like the way she approached the spirit now: flaunting that pride.

Taking a couple of items from her tool belt, Misaki moved into the shrine and placed a couple of incense sticks. Lighting them with a snap of her fingers to spring the katon to life so the sticks would start burning up slowly. It was ceremony time. The spirit was ready to pass on. Willing. A small detail that would make the ritual so much easier. Misaki would kneel before the incense and start chanting old, traditional prayers of the Shinto religion as she brought her hands before her. Her clear voice would soon seem to resonate within the shrine as the spiritual heritage of the Aikayume solemnly came to the surface, Misaki's aura transparently visible in hues of white, purple and pink. Ofuda seals would be created from thin air as the prayers to Inari continued, upon which Misaki would stand up and move over to the spirit.

"These seals will gradually purify you in preparation for your transcendence as the ritual progresses. Since you are willing to pass on, the ritual will be swift."

Placing the three seals around the spirit, the stage of Spiritual Cleansing had commenced. Misaki would sit down again, and recite the prayers to Inari once more. With every new paragraph, the Nine Sages Celestial Purification would rise in power. Moving up to a new form of cleansing until, eventually, the spirit would feel itself pass over and find its much desired rest. Until only the two kitsune and the two kits remained within the temple. Then, Misaki would take a moment for herself, the purification ritual still weighing a lot on her spiritual power.

OOC: Using 'Nine Sages Celestial Purification' CRPJ
Name of Jutsu: Onmyoudo - Nine Sages Celestial Purification

CRPJ's Effect:
Combining Onmyoudo, Spiritual energy and Kuji-in magic into one ability, this technique has been a long preserved Aikayume Hiden traditionally passed on from mother to daughter. The technique knows nine 'degrees of power' in its intent to purify/exorcise, not coincidentally linked to the fabled nine tails of the kitsune, and follows nine distinct steps on how to properly and fully purify a spirit or possessed being. While the technique's power is influenced by the user's spiritual power (PL/CL could be used as a reference), faith, proper ritualistic knowledge and skilled execution of the technique are just as important.

The cost of this technique equals 100 chakra/level of the seal. The user can 'improve' upon the Seal's level by paying chakra equal to normal cost of the desired rank. While 'improving' the Seal can only done one level at a time, and only level by level, the effects of previously activated levels remain active for the duration of the purification. Going through this jutsu from the First to the Ninth Seal in fullest, would cost the user 4500 chakra in total.

First Seal - Pacifism:
The weakest of all effects, the First Seal attaches a single ofuda talisman onto the spirit in question with intend to suppress excessive emotions. This is mostly used to help weak spirits snap out of berserk, tunnelvision, blinding grief, etc... so that proper communication is possible and a solution can be found to help out the spirit in question.
Second Seal - Lock:
The Second Seal attaches a single ofuda talisman onto a spirit with intention to lock it in place. Whereas the First Seal mostly coaxes the spirit, the Second Seal forcibly brings it to a halt. This is mostly of use with spirits that have vanishing/teleporting properties or move at such speed that ranged attacks would stand no chance. It does little to improve upon the spirit's general condition or mood.
Third Seal - Spiritual Cleansing:
The Third Seal attaches a single ofuda talisman onto a spirit that shows signs of imbalance in order to restore it to perfect Spiritual alignment. This can affect spirits that were brought out of balance by the energy waves emitted by modernisation (namely radio tech and electricity-driven machines) and symptoms of (in)direct demonic/holy afflictions. While based on the principles of the Yin Yang Seal of the Tsuchimidako, this technique can not alter the spirits inherent alignment in the slightest. Rather, it will balance the spirit to its natural alignment, removing what little 'taint' may affect it.
Fourth Seal - Orientation
The Fourth Seal is loosely based upon the Four Wind Guardians and invokes their essence to restore a spirit's orientation. This orientation is far more than knowing the four directions, as it also anchors it in time. In other words, a spirit is made aware of the current date and its place in the material world, allowing it more solidity in existence while dispelling disorientation and confusion.
Fifth Seal - Wu Xing Purification:
A respectable form of restoration, the Fifth Seal resets a spirit's existential power by restoring the balance between the five Wu Xing elements. By inscribing five ofuda talismans with a single Wu Xing element, the spirit is stripped of any accumulated surplus power, but also reinvigorated with any power it may have lost. This can, in effect, create a similar but more powerful effect as Spiritual Cleansing, but could also remove buffs and debuffs granted to a spirit.
Sixth Seal - Jewel in the Lotus
Starting this level of power, the purification ritual has become so impactful the Aikayume should not ever invoke this Seal without proper preparation and introductory cleansing. Based on the Six True Words, the spirit is sucked into a state of "emptiness", a state where ego and worldly attachment are dropped and inner awareness and intuition is raised, pulling them into the 'now'. At this point, spirits who solely exist through worldly attachments will fade from existence as their reason for being has been revoked and a sense of fulfilment takes over. In effect, the Sixth Seal could serve as an instant exorcising of lesser spirits. For greater spirits, the true path to salvation only begins 'now' that awareness to a better future has been awoken.
Seventh Seal - Karmic Flame
It is said that emotions in life can be imprinted within the very soul itself, driving us to find our 'soul mates' in other lives to come. Where materialistic reasons of lingering can be cut loose, those spirits remaining due to emotional turmoil can be tough opponents, indeed. Vengeance, unheard regrets, unrequited love... Such spirits require unconditional love and forgiveness in the purest of forms to come to terms. Upon invoking the Seventh Seal, the very Universe around the Aikayume seems to shift to lay bare the emotions of the troubled spirit. Burning away the burdens which could last for several lifetimes, the spirit's karma is purified by the foxfire and transmuted into a new destiny, allowing the restless spirit to finally find peace. In effect, the Seventh Seal is able to exorcise almost every spirit by cleansing it with benevolent fire.
Eighth Seal - Eight Auspicious Signs
The Eight Seal is a rarily used power, because almost every Spiritual concern can be solved with the first Seven. Unfortunately, there are times where the Aikayume is not dealing with mere spirits but with Kami created through generations of worship. Local Kami, though rarely, know moments of imbalance too. When such things happen, it is not just a single person or house which suffers, but a whole region that ends up affected. The purification of such imbalanced Kami can vary greatly from the more 'mundane' purification needed for spirits, and as such eight ofuda talismans each inscribed with one of the Auspicious Signs is required for this Seal. Upon invoking this Seal, the Kami's already enlightened awareness is simply reminded of its original intent and goals.
Ninth Seal - Transcendence
The pinnacle of exorcism and perfected form of purification, the Ninth Seal completely unravels the embodiment of existence of a spirit and allows its essence to become one with the Universe. The spirit will no longer be able to manifest itself in any sort of form, as it is now absorbed by the collective of Spiritual energy that is omnipresent. The choice to use this ability can stem from a spirit finally finding 'inner peace' and wishing to 'go beyond the mundane', but this can also be used to completely eradicate a malevolent spirit unwilling to maintain balance. Furthermore, lesser Kami are weakened to the point they may be sealed in a magical item, and entities possessing a body are (violently) thrown out of their earthly host.

Example RP of how it will be used: Misaki is confronted with a raging Bull Spirit, who is currently berserking and thrashing the whole place. It charges at walls in blind rage, it bucks wildly around itself and is hell-bent on impaling foolish mortals on its large horns. Understanding that the Bull Spirit will not be open for communication, Misaki uses the Second Seal and pays 200 chakra for this. The Bull Spirit gets immobilised despite raging on, but now that it is not moving, Misaki is able to perceive a hint of demonic taint in its aura. She decides to restore its tainted alignment by rising the Second Seal to the Third Seal, and must pay an additional 300 chakra to do so, but the spirit will remain immobilised while it gets purified. If now Misaki would want to execute the Wu Xing Purification, she would first have to raise it to the Fourth Seal (+400 chakra) and then to the Fifth Seal (for another 500 chakra), but it seems that the Bull Spirit quiets down now that taint no longer draws out its excess rage.

Reason why it cannot be used in battle: This technique only affects bakemono, spirits, and Kami. In the case of kami, who are beings of superior power than spirits, only local kami and minor kami may be affected as any kami beyond that (shinigami, true gods...) are far too powerful to be affected by mere mortal interference. In the case this technique is used on a possessed human being, full consent of the human host must be given and proper preparation must be undertaken. These preparations may include, but are not limited to: preparation of ofuda seals, burning of incense, drawing of circles and other ritualistic symbols of spiritual power, sprinkling of blessed water, reciting of prayers and/or mantras. Considering the focus and the time needed for a proper purification ritual, a battle would be the least ideal of moments.

Tomomi

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Without a moment of hesitation from either Aikayume, the younger one of this duo would begin the procedure to help this troubled spirit pass on to the next world and hopefully bring closure to her and this shrine that had been declining in recent times. The spirit could do nothing, but wait patiently as she watched the ritual begin with some incense sticks that would begin to burn with the snap of Misaki's fingers; this new development however would cause the cubs situated behind the Aikayume Clan members to scurry outside where other creatures were still likely watching the developments that were beginning. Likely for them, Misaki would not disappoint them as she knelt down near the incense and began to chant prayers which didn't appear to be doing anything aside from making people feel good about themselves or so they would think. In actuality, the voice of the younger Aikayume would resonate in the shrine and what appeared to be chakra would radiate in various colors near the younger human.

The prayers from the young lady would continue as she rose from her seated position near the incense and walk over to the spirit saying something that wasn't quite visible for anyone but the spirit to hear which would simply nod at her as she continued. As she did, seals would be placed around the spirit before Misaki sat down again and continued the prayers chanting paragraphs from likely a book she recognized or from word of mouth to her when she was growing up. Regardless, they were seemly working as the spirit closed its eyes and began to fade away from this plane of existence hopefully going to the paradise that she mentioned before where she could be at peace and watch over the new Aikayume ladies that would protect, guard, and keep this shrine up and running ---

Except, there was one small problem that the younger Aikayume would see if she turned around to look at her aunt: there was no Aunt Azusa around at all. It was possible that the elder Aikayume and former priestess of their clan had stepped away to allow Misaki the concentration, the space, and the time that she needed. But, there was likely another reason for the disappearance of her aunt which would be amplified if the kitsune looked at the entrance and saw a purplish-blaze haze beginning to emulate the room and what appeared to be a bloodied body laying on its back with various pieces of weaponry lodged into the abdominal region. If she would investigate the body, she would see her aunt laying there wincing in pain. Regardless of approaching the body or not, Azusa would speak to her: "It seems something got me, little one. I did not see what it was, but it struck quickly before I could react. Do not fret, little one, as this is where my story ends it would appear and you have your own story to continue. Go and make your auntie proud, Misaki." As the last few words would come out of her lips, the body of Aikayume Azusa would grow limp and her eyes would lose the color in them completely.

With the death of her aunt, the little Aikayume had likely a wide range of emotions and feelings coming over her. But, the true question that anyone that was watching nearby or above would have to ask at this moment was a simple one: What would Misaki do moving forward? Would she give up and leave this shrine to fall more into ruins or would she push forward and try to accomplish what the former priestess of this shrine and her auntie wanted her to do? It was time for her to make a decision!

Current Ninpocho Chronicles Time:

Back