Ninpocho Chronicles

Ninpocho Chronicles is a fantasy-ish setting storyline, set in an alternate universe World of Ninjas, where the Naruto and Boruto series take place. This means that none of the canon characters exists, or existed here.

Each ninja starts from the bottom and start their training as an Academy Student. From there they develop abilities akin to that of demigods as they grow in age and experience.

Along the way they gain new friends (or enemies), take on jobs and complete contracts and missions for their respective villages where their training and skill will be tested to their limits.

The sky is the limit as the blank page you see before you can be filled with countless of adventures with your character in the game.

This is Ninpocho Chronicles.

Current Ninpocho Chronicles Time:

Family (Solo)

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Name: Yukari Toshiwakai

"Where is he?" A young woman looked outside the window, gazing outside as the inner city of Grand Palais got darker. Despite being in a subterranean city, you knew when it was going to get dark. She checked a bedroom in her small apartment, still empty like the last time she checked it. Her son had a tendency to use the fire escape rather than the front door nowadays; it made her regret him getting older and older as the days go by. She sighed; moving to her bedroom. It was the considerably more empty than her son's. Inside was just a bed, a wardrobe, and a small coffee table for her to work on. They both lived simply, taking respite that they had a place to stay after all the uncertainty seven years ago. The woman picked up a picture frame sitting on her wardrobe in her hands, reminding her of simpler times. The photo depicted her husband and her holding their two-month-old son, their only child. They were surrounded by a large group of people, men, and women of different sizes. All of them wearing various tight outfits of color and frills. They were traveling with a group of "entertainers" the group liked to call themselves, and the young couple followed them as it was safer to be in large groups when journeying the Desert Expanse. Yukari sighed, placing the photo back down in its original spot. It was different now; it has been for some time. Raising a son as a single mother, was no easy task. But Kagari was more mature than most kids his age. He was quiet, diligent, determined and respectful. Those traits made it easy for her to deal with him, as he didn't complain often. In fact, he was very protective of his mother at times. Kagari had many times tried to stop her mom from going to jobs because he was worried she was overworking herself. It started to look like he was the mother hen of the family.

Yukari smiled, thankful that through all the turmoil in her life, her son was always there. But her son made her worry; he was a full-fledged shinobi. While he maybe a genin, he is still a shinobi. At first, when Kagari even mentioned about potentially becoming a ninja, she shot down the idea. Kagari at the young age of 12 didn't know what he was asking for, what any child is asking for when they want to become a shinobi. They become killers, child soldiers; committed to protecting the village. But, he was gifted. He was obviously intelligent where he wouldn't put himself in any danger. He would be able to handle all the physical extremities. He mostly grew up in the desert. He had a natural talent; he was born for this. That's what made her worry the most, how much he reminded her of her family.

Yukari was in her mid-thirties, but despite that she doesn't look a day over 21. She would continue to look like this until her sixties, maybe even her seventies. It was the benefit of being a pure descendant of the Haku Clan, blessed with youth throughout their life. Both males and females were often confused as the men seemed to be more effeminate in their appearance. Whoever mandated that all Haku's have long flowing black hair wasn't thinking at the time. Thankfully her son looked to borrow more from his father than her. But he was gifted with something else, a natural control over ice. Most ninjas, if they train enough to balance out wind and water, they would be able to use ice. But Haku descendants can use Ice with ease, without the need for the two. Of course, they would go through rigorous training to manage their gifts, but at the snap of a finger, a baby can chill a tiny cup of warm water.

While Kagari didn't mention his newfound ability, she could tell that his bloodline was manifesting. There were signs, like his tendency to freeze the glass occasionally, or during winter time he didn't wear a jacket. He had an aura around him. That reminded her of some of her older siblings; they were the same. This was troubling; she spent all those years burying the past; putting miles between her and the Clan. She didn't run away all those years ago just to be back to square one. This was her greatest fear.

That Kagari is a Haku.

WC: 750
MFT

Yen
ASP
Deaths
"That was a unique experience..." The young man was making his way back to his apartment block, half a mile from the transfer station. He had finally gotten all that fox fur off his clothes, although they seemed to get everywhere considering how he was attacked by a gang of foxes. Still, it could have gone worse; he could have died! Rittou Haku seems to be a man with no patience for lies, but considering how empty his household save for a fox den; Kagari wouldn't stand for any bull either. Still, Kagari was curious how the Haku household became such as mess. His mother running away was one thing, but Saburou? How does that person stoop that low? What about the two other sons? It seems only a single child remained beside his mom. Whatever happened, the Haku Clan is practically on the brink of destruction. Well, at least the one in Suna. Kagari figured there had to be more members of the clan elsewhere, right? Regardless, the meeting didn't go too smoothly. But, Rittou did seem to believe a little bit that Kagari was a descendant. He was going to test the teen, however, to prove that he belongs in the clan.

But what bothered Kagari more was how dismissive he was of his mom. She did run out on the family but, there seemed to be no love lost. Was he truly disappointed that his only daughter married a nobody? Maybe it was the grief that came when he learned of Saburou's fate. Even though he was the black sheep of the family, he was still his son.

Kagari rounded a corner and began to climb the fire escape, each step rattling the thin metal structure. As he got up to the 5th level, he opened the windowsill and climbed in. "Mom?" He called out, as he put down his bag nearby his desk. He ventured into the next room over where his mother was there, staring at a picture frame on her dresser. She seemed to be absorbed in it, not realizing that her son had called her. Kagari smiled, he'd seen the picture a bunch of times too. While it may not have given off the same nostalgia that her mother was filled with, it did give him the conviction to do something right for his mom. He wanted to make her happy again like she did back then.

He knocked on the wall separating her room and the living room, getting her attention. "I'm home."

"Oh good, you're back. I was starting to get worried." She placed the picture frame down quickly, as she brushed past her son going into their small kitchen. "Now, what would you like for dinner? I already ate but I saved this bento for you I got at the market." She took out a plastic bento and placed it on their table. It was Kagari's favorite, beef kalbi with rice and salmon.

"Sweet." Kagari sat down and got his chopsticks ready to chow down, not before his mom stopped him. "What do we do before we eat?"

Kagari sighed, closed his hands together and said a little prayer. Now that nothing was separating his appetite and food, he began to chow down. "So where did you go today? You came home very late."

Kagari froze, finishing his mouthful of food. "I...I got lost in one of the upper districts, the Desert Crown to be exact."

This time Yukari froze, staying still until she drank a cup of warm tea next to her. "oh? What were you doing there?"

"Looking for something."

"Looking for what?"

Kagari kept eating, finishing another mouthful of food. He put down his chopsticks and look into his mother's eyes. "Mom, have you ever talked about your family before?" Those words struck her like lightning; she almost spilled her tea on their table. She placed the warm cup down, not meeting Kagari's gaze. She sighed and looked into her son's eyes, noticing his anticipation for her answer.

"Well, I believe I told you that I met your father here in Suna. I'm from out of country, so my family is all the way back in-"

"Mom, stop lying to me." Kagari's expression was serious; he wasn't a kid anymore. Yukari felt a pain in her heart; she felt guilty that she tried to lie to her son, and got caught doing it. Kagari could see that his mom was uncomfortable with telling the truth, so he eased up. He continued to eat and relaxed in his chair, speaking softer rather than be harsh about it. "Mom, I know you're from the Haku clan. I know you ran away all those years ago with Dad."

"I know this because I visited the compound in the Desert Crown, and well; I talked with I guess my grandad." Yukari was stunned, all those years of running and trying to forget; were flooding her back to her in an instant. She sat still, unable to speak a sentence. Kagari softened his stern glare, realizing how hard it's been for his mother. Despite her youthful appearance, behind those eyes was years of hardship. Closing her eyes for a few seconds to collect her thoughts, she finally broke the silence. "What did he tell you?"

"Nothing much to be honest. It was me who was telling him about...all this." Kagari pointed his chopsticks to their current squalor. "About Dad, you and well me." She chuckled a bit, "I bet he didn't like what he heard."

"Yep, almost killed me." Yukari looked horrified after that, stunned that her father would try to kill her only son. Kagari's delivery also didn't help soften the blow. "Kagari!"

"Relax mom; I didn't get hurt. Thankfully." She crossed her arms in response, and it was her turn to have a disappointed look. She was not happy that Kagari decided to poke the beehive. "I was saved by a fox. A little one, Byakko. He was cute, bright white fur with a red-"

"A red spot on his forehead." Yukari finished Kagari's retelling. Kagari was surprised, "It was...my mother's fox, your grandmother. After she had died, that was what was left of her. According to your great grandfather, our clan and the fox spirits have been together for centuries. When we pass, our souls are guided by the foxes into heaven, or so they say." Yukari recalled some of the bedtime stories she heard during her childhood. "Byakko is unique, isn't he? He always does things on his own rather than listen to its master. I took care of him after mother died and when I left...It broke my heart." Yukari's eyes began to form tears, and a slight smile emerged. The fond memories of a white fox were too much. "He never liked your father, though; maybe he knew that Takeshi was going to take me away from him." Kagari grinned, he was curious what the fox thought because he was the combination of both his mom and father. What did Byakko see in the teen?

"You remind me of Byakko sometimes. You were both independent and at times didn't listen but...Both of you always made me happy no matter what." Kagari wasn't sure how to feel on being compared to a small little fox, but maybe that's why the two of them got along. They were both kindred spirits. Yukari's smile faded away into a neutral expression, pausing a moment. "You know why I left Suna with your father, don't you? Why I left that all behind." Kagari nodded, "I figured it was because Dad wasn't what grandfather had in mind. Dad wasn't worthy of being with an "ice princess." She chuckled again, she never thought of herself in such a way. "Yes, you're correct, although I wouldn't put it like that. It's very stereotypical, to be honest. Your father, a working class hero and your mother; the noble girl looking for adventure in her life." She laughed again at herself.
a
"You know your father's work. A musician, entertainer, actor, and comedian. He worked at bars in Grand Palais; I saw him perform at one of the winter festivals in the Desert Crown. He was so..."

"Marvelous?"

"Hah! No way, he was so nervous that he ran off stage; playing for all the wealthy and noble families. I caught him off to the side, puking."

"That's how you met Dad?!"

"Yep. Romantic right? But despite that impressive first impression, he was different. Different from everyone I ever met." She paused, taking a sip of her tea. "Despite all the hardships, all the trials he faced to be with me; he always just moved forward. He never once faltered...If he had been a shinobi or something else entirely, I believe the world would be changed." Yukari closed here eyes, remembering all the "intimate" moments that they shared, some of them she wouldn't share with Kagari because they were very private.

"Your grandfather obviously had different plans. I had siblings if you saw the portrait I had three brothers. The eldest, Tatsu-Nii died in battle and Sabu...He was long gone." Kagari figured that the last one she was talking about was Saburou, by then he was already into human trafficking and prostitution. "So there was just Shirou-nii and me. We both were pure blooded and could harness Ice like all Haku's. Although, Shirou was a shinobi and trained hard to hone his gifts. I was only taught how to control it and defend myself if I have too, but nowhere near as powerful as grandfather and Shirou was."

"So, because there were only two of us left. We were to be married to others to ensure the line...The Haku clan, after all, are important to Sunagakure because of the desert conditions." She took another sip of her tea. "I was to be married off to some noble, and I didn't want my life to be decided, so I ran with your father...See, it sounds like something from a fairytale doesn't it?"

"After that, we never looked back. We had you and moved from town to town if you can remember. Until your father died..." Yukari had a somber look about her, Kagari too didn't like recalling those memories. "So then why did we return here? And why didn't you try to go back to the clan? Life could have been...easier mom."

"We returned to Suna because life in the desert was no place for you. Your father knew a lot of people in Suna, especially here in Grand Palais. I was able to find jobs because of his friends." She paused again, collecting her thoughts."

"Yes, Kagari life could have been easier if your grandfather took us in. But I was afraid, how would he treat you knowing that you were your father's son? You bear his resemblance...Would he have forced you to become a servant for some family in return for his care? Your grandfather could be so cruel sometimes..."

"But he misses you, mom! He truly does! He almost killed me for even mentioning your name." Kagari was standing up, trying to convince his mom to return home. "Maybe he does miss me but...That family...Your family isn't like others. They are capable of great things, but many of them are dangerous. If I returned, begging for my father's forgiveness to take us in...I don't know what he would do." Kagari sat back down, thinking about the encounter he had today.

The clan leader did try to kill the teen. Kagari did come at an inappropriate time, public news of Saburou's death was being spread despite he was being held in the dark levels of the Obsidian. What was that old man actually capable of? "So, with all that I've told you; what are you going to do my son?" Yukari's look was neutral, ready for her child's response no matter what it was.

"I-I don't know honestly..." Kagari sat back, confused and struggled to come up with an answer. Yukari smiled, despite her son's usually straight forward thinking he still was a young man finding his place in the world. She stood up, walked over to her son and hugged him, holding his head close to her chest. "No matter what you decide, you are my son, and I love you. You will always have a place here." Kagari stood still, burying his head deep in his mother's embrace. They stayed there for a minute, Yukari finally letting go of her boy. "I know what I'm going to do."

"What?"

"Tell Suna that it's about to get colder."

[Topic End]

WC: 2105
MFT

Current Ninpocho Chronicles Time:

Back