Ninpocho Chronicles

Ninpocho Chronicles is a fantasy-ish setting storyline, set in an alternate universe World of Ninjas, where the Naruto and Boruto series take place. This means that none of the canon characters exists, or existed here.

Each ninja starts from the bottom and start their training as an Academy Student. From there they develop abilities akin to that of demigods as they grow in age and experience.

Along the way they gain new friends (or enemies), take on jobs and complete contracts and missions for their respective villages where their training and skill will be tested to their limits.

The sky is the limit as the blank page you see before you can be filled with countless of adventures with your character in the game.

This is Ninpocho Chronicles.

Current Ninpocho Chronicles Time:

Getting the Scoop on the Raikage [Archive]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Santaru Rin

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Note said:
Reposting this for Hayata Shin and posterity, because Akihiko did a good job...

Part I

Nakamura Akihiko said:
Akihiko walked into the Raikage's tower once again, though this time it wasn't to see him. No this time he would be interviewing one of the Sennin to help him get more information on the Raikage's personality and overall disposition. It would allow him to paint a better picture of the man and hopefully do him some sort of justice when it came time to write his biography for the man. He went to the receptionist and asked for the room he had requested to be secured for the interview. She pointed him in it's direction and he proceeded to it. Upon opening the door he found a long table with chairs on either side of it with one large chair at it's head. One of the many conference rooms here in the tower. He moved to the large window and looked down, marvelling at the abundance of clouds. It almost made one seem that the village was floating on a cloud. He smiled and moved to take a seat. It wouldn't be long now soon his person of interest would be arriving. He checked his watch.

Any minute now.
Takaki Masao said:
According to the lunar calendar, he was thirty years old.  He felt sixty.  A ragged latticework of scars covered his body.  Blades, hammers, darts, bolts, arrows, bullets, and every variety of magic had all left their marks on the exterior, and the slow wasting of tuberculosis had left its lingering, poisonous kiss on his insides.  It was a perfect record of twenty years of service to Kumogakure.  For a shinobi to go through active duty that long was rare, and for an ANBU, all but unheard of, given that most died or retired or switched to another vocation by their early twenties.  And he had seen many an ANBU die in his tenure – a few by his own hand.

With some trepidation, he reached into the folds of the silken haori hakama he wore, and found the object he was looking for.  A scroll, upon which he had written the words that would end an era of his life, and signal the beginning of another.  Kneeling to the divine being that stood before him, he held the document out with both hands, waiting for the answer.

Shinbatsu, the Seventh Raikage of Kumogakure no Sato, nodded his head and accepted the scroll, his ebony hands betraying a moment’s hesitation that would never be witnessed or recorded.

"Rise, Captain Takaki," intoned the man-god, his voice simultaneously booming and yet focused on the one before him.  Masao slowly brought himself to his feet, head still slightly lowered, as one did not look the Raikage of Kumogakure in the eyes.  "...Masao.  Desire it as I may, I cannot deny your right to retire your captaincy.  The ANBU will be poorer for your departure.  And so will this village.  But I am not, as some have accused me of being, inhuman.  All men have limits..." Shinbatsu trailed off, seemingly lost in thought.  He fixed his gaze on Masao.  "Are you absolutely sure that this is your wish?"

"Yes, my Lord Shinbatsu.  I love this village.  I have bled many times my body’s allotment for it.  It will always be my home.  But I know that I must defend it in a different way now.  And so must Rin."  He smiled sadly.  "Our era has passed.  Akira Saito’s has begun."

"Very well, Captain," answered Shinbatsu, inhaling deeply.  "I hereby grant you my permission to retire from the Ansatsu Tokushu Senjutsu Butai at the rank of High Captain and second in command to Santaru Rin.  You will be reinstated as a sennin of the village to serve as a guiding beacon to all shinobi of Kumo, with all the rights and privileges thereof.  And...I will fulfill your other request as well."

"Thank you, my lord."

Shinbatsu let out a booming laugh as he clapped Masao on the shoulder in a wholly unexpected display of camaraderie.  "I could do no less for you.  I believe our formal business is complete, and you...no,
we, have somewhere to be."

"Indeed, I have a woman waiting for me below, in her bridal dress, and she grows more impatient by the second.  And
you, my lord - and my friend - have a couple to marry off."

...Sixteen years later, in the present day...

"Damn this place.  Can’t they clean it for once?" he muttered to himself as he made his way through the bustling chaos of the Dawnbringer Plaza.  Like any other day, it was a packed, sweaty, marketplace where humanity concentrated itself with shameless abandon.  Shinobi status mattered little in the tumult – coin and the volume of one’s voice were the markers of precedence.  And of course, it was indescribably filthy, as it had always been whenever Masao himself had visited during his years in Kumo.

Just because some time had passed between his last visit here and the present did not mean it was any less smelly.  And yet the odors of decaying fish and fermented spices and sweat were surprisingly nostalgic.  There was simply nothing like this where Rin and he had lived for the past nearly two decades.  Then again, Rin had chosen the rather far-away location of their estate deliberately in an effort to avoid reminding her of the town she once called home.  Some of her memories brought more turmoil than his.  He had, in fact, visited Kumo a few times over the years since his retirement from the ANBU.  Once to see their children off to the academy, once to attend their graduation, and a few times after that to keep close tabs on one or both when they found themselves in the inevitable tight spots that all hormonal teenagers trained as shinobi do.

Finding an unoccupied spot near the pockmarked fountain of Akiyama Kin, he diverted his gaze east, as he had once done many a time, to regard the Torre Celeste.  The corners of his mouth rose slightly into a smile as he regarded the imposing and beautiful structure.  It had been a while since he caught its image in the full glory of the mid-morning.  

He had business there today.  One of the younger shinobi who apparently had some literary inclinations had sent him a message requesting his presence for an interview regarding an autobiography of the current Raikage, Hayata Shin.  Normally Masao would not have paid such a request any heed.  There were many spies, dissidents, and general troublemakers out there who would easily twist words into defamation and slander.  However, for some reason, the request and the requestor seemed sincere.  He had of course used his contacts to look up the young shinobi, and found nothing particularly of concern in his record.  It was as good an excuse as any to make a day trip, and to see what Enjeru and Saeko were up to.

He strolled through the doors of the tower.  For this occasion, he dressed as he normally did - slacks, a shirt and forgettable black tie, and matching suit.  There was really nothing to distinguish him appearance-wise from any other civilian salaryman that toiled away in the village or in the surrounding cities and towns.  He noticed a younger shinobi checking his watch.  It was likely correct to reason that this was the boy who had asked him for the interview.  After all, he looked just like the photographs Masao had reviewed earlier.  Others might have toyed with the young man or attempted to perform a test of skill before talking with the subject.  Masao was too damned old for such games.

"Hello.  I assume you're the one who asked me here?"
Nakamura Akihiko said:
Akihiko heard the door handle being pulled and turned to greet his visitor. He was an older man, battle scarred with an air of experience that demanded respect. He seemed nice enough, though Akihiko could tell that he was a formidable opponent when it came down to his enemies.  

"Hello.  I assume you're the one who asked me here?"

Akihiko nodded and smiled extending his hand in greeting.

Yes, I did, please take a seat.</COLOR><i></i>

He said gesturing to the chairs around the table. He waited for Masao to take his seat before the teen took his as was custom when dealing with a superior. Akihiko then opened his note book and with a few flicks of his fingers he created a field of gravity around the note book and pen such that they floated  and the pen stood at the ready to take notes. He then turned to Masao.

Hello Masao-sama my name is Nakamura Akihiko and I have asked you here today to get some view on the  current Raikage's past. I hope to write a chronology for the Library to keep on file. So if you don't have any questions shall we begin.?</COLOR><i></i>

Akihiko said the pen beside him rising a few centimeters to the top of the page.  

Could you tell me about the first time you met our Raikage, what was your impression of him?<i></i>
Takaki Masao said:
Instinctively, he surveyed the room he was in with a few quick deviations of his gaze.  Sensibly but sparsely decorated.  Two padded chairs, an overhead light, and a small table for refreshments.  Only one exit, being the door they had come in through.

He pulled a battered kerosene-fueled lighter out of his inner breast pocket and flicked the ancient carbide wheel a few times.  Sparks flew, impacted the sooty wick, and flame rose to meet the end of the cigarette in his mouth.  He dragged deeply before exhaling, tendrils of smoke exiting his nose and mouth in a manner befitting an old, surly dragon.

The literary shinobi was a straight talker – all business and no preamble.  He’d come prepared, even using one of the newer object manipulation tricks to take his notes for him.  Hopefully the penmanship would actually be legible, as that was the downfall of having chakra energy write for you.

"Hello Masao-sama my name is Nakamura Akihiko and I have asked you here today to get some view on the current Raikage's past. I hope to write a chronology for the Library to keep on file. So if you don't have any questions shall we begin?"

"Nakamura Akihiko, is it?" nodded Masao, fixing a critical gaze on his interviewer.

"Could you tell me about the first time you met our Raikage, what was your impression of him?"

"Ah, but Nakamura-san, I do have questions for you," responded Masao, his voice a cross between a purr and a growl.  "I have done some background research on you, insofar as I know your name, that you are a candidate for mednin, and that you do not have a significant criminal history.  But if you are going to ask me to reveal my memories to you, I expect payment.  Don’t worry; it’s nothing as crass as a cash bribe.  I know that genin are poor, having been one myself.  Rather, I want to know more about you.  What your hopes are for this village and for yourself.  What your motivations behind writing this book are.  Because I want to be sure that you are going to carry this through and do a job worthy of my friend the Raikage.  But I also know that you want to see that I know what I’m talking about.  That I’m going to give you a real picture of what Hayata Shin the man was like, and not simply the official biography condensed into pamphlet form.  So will give you a sample of what I know.  Then I will ask you a question and you will answer it, and we will go back and forth."

He allowed himself to sit back in the chair and crossed a leg as he looked up at the ceiling for a few minutes.

Mood Music

"My first meeting with Hayata Shin..." he mused, allowing the memory of that bleak, distant day to suffuse his consciousness.  "I remember that one well, even after too much time has passed.  It was not a happy one.  In fact, our Raikage nearly died that day."

Masao paused to take another drag off the cigarette, still staring at the ceiling, watching the smoke trails waft upward.

"To begin with, you have to have a sense of some of the other events that led up to our meeting.  I was a genin back then, and my best friend at the time was another genin named Reikon Dyu.  Although we were not in a same academy class, we were placed in the same genin cell for our early training period, and we quickly became friends over the course of our early missions.  After all, it’s easy to bond with someone when your lives are in actual danger and you fight hard for each other’s privilege to take another breath.  Reikon and I also competed for the love of a kunoichi we were both infatuated with – Uchiha Sei, current matron of the clan, who is known for her grace and stateliness now, but back then had a temper that rivaled Takao the Mad.  In any case, for reasons that are still unclear to me after all this time, Reikon attempted to go missing.  And as expected, he was killed quickly, before he even had a chance to touch the great doors of the village.  

I had been secretly drafted into the training program for ANBU under the auspices of Santaru Ryuuto, who you know as the Sixth Raikage of Kumo, but who was a captain at that time.  He had participated in Reikon’s execution, but because I was his subordinate, he allowed me to claim the body, rather than follow the usual and customary practice of incinerating it in the bowels of the Sileo Tempestas.  And so I took Reikon’s body to the grounds of my family’s estate with the intention of having a small, private memorial service and cremation.  It turned out to be anything but small, however."

Masao slowly stubbed the remainder of his cigarette out in a copper ashtray nearby.  Small, dying embers worked their way loose from the dying stack and wafted upwards like tiny fireflies let loose for a moment’s life.  He drew another cigarette and lit it in the same fashion as the first, now looking directly at Nakamura.

"Dyu and I had been special to many more people than we thought, and soon there were many other shinobi arrived.  I had no way of knowing at the time, but a lot of the people who attended the service would make their own marks on Kumo’s history.  One of those individuals I had not met before that day.  He was a small, bookish academy student in his final year.  His eyesight was terrible, his skin was pale and clammy from spending many nights in the libraries and labs, and his voice managed to be both mousy and annoying at the same time.  In short, a kid who had no business trying to enter into our trade.

It was immediately apparent that Hayata Shin the student seemed unable to read people’s emotions – to capture the subtle clues in body language and demeanor that guide one’s interactions more than the actual content of speech.  His thought processes were perfectly logical.  He quite rightly stated that Reikon was a missing nin, and that he was merely a tool of the village that should never have allowed his emotions to lead him to such rashness and endangerment of others.  I think that Hayata was probably trying, in his way, to improve things – that he never meant to really hurt anyone’s feelings, but to remind us of what we were.  Shinobi are tools of the village, and of our country, like it or not.  And yet, to state such things at a funeral where every other attendee clearly cared about the deceased was, shall we say, situationally inappropriate.  Uchiha Sei, who had become Reikon’s lover shortly before he died, and who had the famous temper, came rather close to slitting his throat.  She was a rather overpowered genin, and none of the senior shinobi present seemed as if they would prevent her from doing so.  After all, Shin and Sei are both Uchiha by blood, and a duel between clansmen is a sacred right.

I didn’t know it at the time, and frankly I didn’t give a damn, so I held Sei back.  I was resolved that no one else would die that day, even if he had spat on my friend’s parting ceremony.  She nearly turned her wrath on me for my trouble, but I managed to calm her down.  The senior shinobi then wanted to arrest Hayata at the time, but I forbade it."

Masao let out a chuckle and a slight smile before bringing the cigarette to his lips for another puff and looking upwards.

"Imagine that.  A mere genin telling an ANBU Captain and a Jounin to back off from teaching a student a lesson.  I’m glad that cooler heads prevailed in the end.  Hayata eventually left the ceremony, finally sensing what had just transpired.  It was...a disastrous first impression to make on a good portion of the other shinobi, but I don’t think he really cared.  In his mind, he was right.  Objectively, he was right, too.  Later on I grew to respect that."

He now fixed his gaze on Nakamura.

"And now, if you wish to continue, I want to be satisfied by your answer.  I will start with an easy one.  Tell me about yourself, Nakamura.  And not simply what your parents’ names are and how many missions you've done."

[[OOC note: I will actually try to provide links to the original threads that were posted in 2007 that the Masao of present day is referencing.  The funeral for Reikon Dyu takes place here: http://www.ninpocho.com/naruto/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=34543 ]]

Nakamura Akihiko said:
"Nakamura Akihiko, is it?"  

Masao responded, as if he were tasting the name on his tongue. Akihiko wondered what the man's first impression of him was. Was it good bad, did he seem like the intelligent young aspiring shinobi he wanted to seem. Or was he someone suspicious harboring a secret he didn't want people to find out about. It was hard to tell from the man's face alone  So the teen gave up trying, he would learn the answer soon enough.

Outwardly he  nodded in afirmation that his name had been said correctly  and proceeded to ask Masao of what he knew of shin. Adding for formalities sake the option of asking a question before hand. No one usually took him up on the offer and more often that not they would immediately delve into their stories leaving Akihiko the avid listener. He waited for the beginning of the story the pen setting onto the note book to his side ready to scribble down what ever the Teen heard.  

"Ah, but Nakamura-san, I do have questions for you,I have done some background research on you, insofar as I know your name, that you are a candidate for mednin, and that you do not have a significant criminal history."

As it should be, not a bad way to portray myself. The teen thought smugly.

"But if you are going to ask me to reveal my memories to you, I expect payment."

Akihiko paused.

He wants me to pay him? The teen though quizzically, surely he wasn't serious. And as if Masao read the young Nakamura's  thoughts, he amended his statement.

"Don’t worry; it’s nothing as crass as a cash bribe.  I know that genin are poor, having been one myself.  Rather, I want to know more about you.  What your hopes are for this village and for yourself.  What your motivations behind writing this book are.  Because I want to be sure that you are going to carry this through and do a job worthy of my friend the Raikage.  But I also know that you want to see that I know what I’m talking about.  That I’m going to give you a real picture of what Hayata Shin the man was like, and not simply the official biography condensed into pamphlet form.  So will give you a sample of what I know.  Then I will ask you a question and you will answer it, and we will go back and forth."

Interesting, never had someone ask about me before. This should be an good interview.  

The response was certainly unusual, but somewhat fitting for Masao. He was old even by normal people's standards and as a shinobi he had to have developed some sort of system to ensure he stayed that way. Akihiko was even a little flattered, he wasn't aware that he was anything special to have a man of higher rank not only research him but ask to know more. Taking this book keeping job was paying off in ways he couldn't have anticipated.

Sounds fair enough, I take it you will begin. <i></i> Akihiko said though Masao's change in posture was all the answer that was needed.

The pend above the Nakamura's head set to the paper as soon as the first syllable was uttered.  

"My first meeting with Hayata Shin..." He paused his eyes distant recalling the memory.  

"I remember that one well, even after too much time has passed.  It was not a happy one.  In fact, our Raikage nearly died that day."

He stopped again and  took another drag off the cigarette he held nibly between his fingers. His eyes still distant   staring at the ceiling, watching the smoke trails that wafted from his nose and mouth.

Akihiko shifted the grav-feild around the note book to screen him from the smoke. He had never really liked the smell of tobacco and never really understood why people smoked. Social reasons he postulated, but then....He allowed the thought to trail off. He couldn't afford to lose his concentration the pen would write his thoughts instead of the story he as to hear.

"To begin with, you have to have a sense of some of the other events that led up to our meeting.  I was a genin back then, and my best friend at the time was another genin named Reikon Dyu.  Although we were not in a same academy class, we were placed in the same genin cell for our early training period, and we quickly became friends over the course of our early missions.  After all, it’s easy to bond with someone when your lives are in actual danger and you fight hard for each other’s privilege to take another breath.  Reikon and I also competed for the love of a kunoichi we were both infatuated with – Uchiha Sei, current matron of the clan, who is known for her grace and stateliness now, but back then had a temper that rivaled Takao the Mad.  In any case, for reasons that are still unclear to me after all this time, Reikon attempted to go missing.  And as expected, he was killed quickly, before he even had a chance to touch the great doors of the village.  

I had been secretly drafted into the training program for ANBU under the auspices of Santaru Ryuuto, who you know as the Sixth Raikage of Kumo, but who was a captain at that time.  He had participated in Reikon’s execution, but because I was his subordinate, he allowed me to claim the body, rather than follow the usual and customary practice of incinerating it in the bowels of the Sileo Tempestas.  And so I took Reikon’s body to the grounds of my family’s estate with the intention of having a small, private memorial service and cremation.  It turned out to be anything but small, however."

Masao slowly stubbed the remainder of his cigarette out in a copper ashtray nearby.   Small, dying embers worked their way loose from the dying stack and wafted upwards like tiny fireflies let loose for a moment’s life.  He drew another cigarette and lit it in the same fashion as the first, now looking directly at Nakamura.  

Akihiko stared back, meeting the gaze and nodding an affimation that he had heard and recorded what Masao has just said. With that the Sennin continued.

"Dyu and I had been special to many more people than we thought, and soon there were many other shinobi arrived.  I had no way of knowing at the time, but a lot of the people who attended the service would make their own marks on Kumo’s history.  One of those individuals I had not met before that day.  He was a small, bookish academy student in his final year.  His eyesight was terrible, his skin was pale and clammy from spending many nights in the libraries and labs, and his voice managed to be both mousy and annoying at the same time.  In short, a kid who had no business trying to enter into our trade.

It was immediately apparent that Hayata Shin the student seemed unable to read people’s emotions – to capture the subtle clues in body language and demeanor that guide one’s interactions more than the actual content of speech.  His thought processes were perfectly logical.  He quite rightly stated that Reikon was a missing nin, and that he was merely a tool of the village that should never have allowed his emotions to lead him to such rashness and endangerment of others.  I think that Hayata was probably trying, in his way, to improve things – that he never meant to really hurt anyone’s feelings, but to remind us of what we were.  Shinobi are tools of the village, and of our country, like it or not.  And yet, to state such things at a funeral where every other attendee clearly cared about the deceased was, shall we say, situationally inappropriate.  Uchiha Sei, who had become Reikon’s lover shortly before he died, and who had the famous temper, came rather close to slitting his throat.  She was a rather overpowered genin, and none of the senior shinobi present seemed as if they would prevent her from doing so.  After all, Shin and Sei are both Uchiha by blood, and a duel between clansmen is a sacred right.

I didn’t know it at the time, and frankly I didn’t give a damn, so I held Sei back.  I was resolved that no one else would die that day, even if he had spat on my friend’s parting ceremony.  She nearly turned her wrath on me for my trouble, but I managed to calm her down.  The senior shinobi then wanted to arrest Hayata at the time, but I forbade it."

Masao let out a chuckle and a slight smile before bringing the cigarette to his lips for another puff and looking upwards. His mind losing itself in the memory.

"Imagine that.  A mere genin telling an ANBU Captain and a Jounin to back off from teaching a student a lesson.  I’m glad that cooler heads prevailed in the end.  Hayata eventually left the ceremony, finally sensing what had just transpired.  It was...a disastrous first impression to make on a good portion of the other shinobi, but I don’t think he really cared.  In his mind, he was right.  Objectively, he was right, too.  Later on I grew to respect that."  

He now fixed his gaze on Nakamura. The tone of the meeting changing yet again.  

"And now, if you wish to continue, I want to be satisfied by your answer.  I will start with an easy one.  Tell me about yourself, Nakamura.  And not simply what your parents’ names are and how many missions you've done."

Akihiko chukled, refreshed by the Masao's forwardness. It was his turn to remember though this particular memory wasn't a pleasant one for the boy. He began to guage how much he was going to tell Masao, Akihiko was by nature a private person, and divulging infromation regarding his transition to shinobi-hood wasn't something he was confortable thinking about  about let alone telling someone. But he was sure that Masao would eventually furret out the truth in any case, better it came from his own lips. But where to start.

My story isn't really all that spectacular, if anything it is....<i></i> He paused trying to furret out the right word for it. When he couldn't find it he simply continued.  

Not really sure where to start. His eyes looked down and to the right in pensive thought.  Then he looked back up, feeling Masao's gaze on him, it was somewhat intimidating.  He took a breath to steady himself, apprihention balling up in his chest.

I am a Nakamura.</B><i></i> He said somewhat shakily.

And my family aren't shinobi by trade, they are carpenters. I am the eldest son of Haichi Nakamura, so I was to become the next Master Carpenter like my father.  My life was comfortable to say the least, my family was well respected in our village. My father often made high quality items for the local Lords of the country and we were renoun in our own right for his work. Akihiko said, the memories that came of that simpler time made his grin a little.

I was satisfied, if you can believe it, the work was challenging and stimulating, progress was measurable and attention to detail was important. It fit me, and my only aspirations then were to follow my father's lead and even surpass him. I hoped to expand the buisness, train new apprentices and build a carpentry empire.  

He paused again searching Masao's face for any indication of what the man thought. His dream then sounded somewhat grandiose and naive now. And he felt a little more apprehensive about telling the rest. But once started needed to be finished. And he continued.  

<COLOR color="grey"> My shift to this profession wasn't an easy one, it happened back when I was thirteen. just about to end my apprenticeship and begin working for my father. I had just completed an ornate table, decorated it with carvings of lions on each corner with paws for table ends. It was a deep mahogany, finely lacquered, accented with trace amounts of gold. I had cut out the inside of it, for a piece of frosted glass. Showing a feild of tall grass with lions at each of the four corners of it.

Even then he could still remember the smell of the lacquer, the smoothness of the wood under his fingers as he appraised it. The pride he took in the table as he draped a covering over it setting it out for slumber as a father to his child. A look of forlorn regret took the Teens face then.

That was when they came. He said with a tinge of anger.

They were simply strangers in our small village, we were not unused to seeing shinobi pass through. But unlike the usual, shinobi they stayed. Drinking was their past time, and they grew steadily more violent the more they drank. My village tolerated them, for a while. But soon they began to destroy property chase women, calling out vulgur obscenities. They couldn't be left in the village any longer, so my father decided to gather some of the villages men and go to confront them. They argued, and I am not sure who started it but a fight broke out. And alot of the village men were gravely injured. The shinobi became even wilder after that. They claimed the village for their own and demanded tribute, women, money, sake. Anything they wanted they got or took. It wasn't until we managed to secure a contract with the cloud village that our rescue came in the form of some cloud shinobi. The battle was quick and brutal. The missing nin were caught off guard and were taken easily. They were drunk. <i></i>

Akihiko paused, seeing the ease that the cloud shinobi had used to take out the missing nin.  

We were given asylum in Cloud for a few months to heal while our village was rebuilt. The Lightening lord saw to it himself. But by then I had lost my interest in carpentry, I felt weak, what would building tables and chairs do for me if something like that happened again. I had lost my passion, and I hated myself for it. But I knew that I needed to regain my confidence, I needed power, enough so that no one would ever take my safety away from me again. It broke my father's heart when I told him, my mother cried for the entire day. But I choose to stay here becoming an academy student then Genin and now a Med nin in training.</B><i></i>

Akihiko turned away from the gaze, feeling somewhat vurlnable. Had he said too much, he should have kept some of that away. Maybe told a slightly augmented story. He cursed himself, feeling that weakness again. He hated that feeling and yet it was what really drove him.

He looked up timidly.  

Uuuh....yeah, that is how I came to be here, doing what I do.

He paused. Feeling awkward.

So, your turn I guess, what was Shin-sama like as a teenager.<i></i>

He asked, his voice cracking in the question. Embarrassed he hoped Masao didn't think too badly of him for it.
Takaki Masao said:
Mood Music

Masao regarded Akihiko with veiled interest as the boy relayed his story.  At the start, he seemed reticent, indicating that the Akihiko was probably unused to opening himself up to others.  Still, the boy knew that he had to render payment, and continued on, gaining a confidence born of conviction as he revealed to a stranger what he probably kept from his closest friends.

As the story continued, a few more mysteries about Masao’s interviewer cleared away, particularly the boy’s name, which had sparked some curiosity earlier.  Akihiko’s own words confirmed to Masao that the Nakamura in front of him was a scion of the famous furniture making family whose works he had encountered over the years.  Many aspired to own a piece, and few did.  He recalled that Santaru Ryuuto, known for his Spartan lifestyle, had allowed himself only a few luxuries as Raikage, and one of them was a desk made by the boy’s father.  Unfortunately, it seemed that Akihiko would not be contributing to the family’s opus anytime soon.

The boy’s story would not have been uncommon a hundred or even fifty years ago.  Missing-nin on the run from their villages would often band together in temporary alliances to parasitize small villages overlooked by the country’s military.  They would make life hell for the poor villages and any unfortunate passers-by, and when they had either exhausted all resources or simply gotten bored, they would raze the place and move on to the next unlucky town, leaving the inhabitants to pick up the pieces of their shattered lives.  It was a much less common occurrence these days, however, because fewer shinobi were able to successfully make an attempt to run from their villages.  The vast majority were caught early on, as Reikon Dyu had been.  And yet Akihiko’s life had still brutally changed.  The boy still bore the internalized scars of regret over those times that would probably torment him for the rest of his life.

"Uuuh....yeah, that is how I came to be here, doing what I do."

Masao nodded as he eased back into his chair.

"I’m impressed by your earnestness, Nakamura.  I was always good at reading people – I could tell that you struggled deciding whether to tell me your real story or a censored version thereof.  I’m glad you chose the former.  As a shinobi, you will of course have to guard your words and cloak your feelings and intentions when dealing with others on missions.  After all, we are supposed to be shadows - inscrutable and unknowable to the enemy.  

However, when you are at home in your village, with those you hold dear or those you trust, it is important to be yourself and let your guard down, even if it makes you a little vulnerable, even if sometimes you get hurt because of that.  You will draw immeasurable strength from those moments of real humanity, and that strength will see you through the darkest of days."

He gave Akahiko a warm smile.  It was rare that he could give counsel to the younger generation.  His own children barely listened to him these days.  It was a different world for the shinobi of their generation.  However, some truths remained steadfast no matter their age.

Masao shifted position slightly in the chair and again leaned forward.

"I think that Hayata Shin also slowly came to realize this as well, as he progressed through the years.

Shin came from a fairly unfortunate family situation, which probably had the most significant influence on how he thought and acted early on.  As I mentioned before, he is an Uchiha by blood.  I believe that the Hayata family is separated from the main clan tree by two or three generations – enough that they go by their own name, but not enough to avoid the famous Uchiha predilection towards tragedy.

His mother was afflicted with a wasting illness and for most of his childhood was bedridden, slowly deteriorating every day and reliant almost entirely on her son to serve as a caregiver.  His father was a very prominent mednin researcher, said to have been the intellectual equal of Karubin Ree.  Some of his research actually laid the groundwork for what we understand about the field of Genjutsu today.  However, based on what I’ve heard, his father was also a distant man, consumed by his work, scornful of those who did not share his passion and talent.  I don’t know whether he ever showed any direct signs of affection to Shin at all, and certainly I don’t believe he was a substantive husband for his wife.

Because of this environment, young Shin suppressed his emotions, favoring cold, hard logic as his means of interacting with the world.  And yet he, like any other human, was led partly by his own emotions and desires.  Like his father, he favored the field of genjutsu, and his goal was to further research the field and produce results that would outdo even the senior Hayata’s.  He even became Karubin’s apprentice for a brief time in order to try to fulfill that dream.  If that’s not a son seeking a father’s love then I don’t know what is.

I believe that Shin started to want to change, however, when he failed his first genin exam.  How do I know about this?  Interestingly enough, his exam was proctored by none other than Nara Aio, who much later on attempted with others to stage a coup against the seventh Raikage Shinbatsu.  Aio happened to be my superior officer in the ANBU, and so told me all about it.  In any case, the entire exam was him showing our Raikage-to-be a scene of imagined carnage – bodies everywhere, shinobi tending to the wounded, it was a gloriously overdone genjutsu.  But the boy could not explain to Aio what the scene really meant to him.  What it meant emotionally and how such a thing might affect the village.  For Shin, this was a contradiction – he had followed the rules, given the correct answers, and yet he had failed for a reason entirely irrelevant to him.  I don’t know if he resented Aio for this, but it certainly made him think.  And I believe he realized that his problem from the start was that he always worked alone.

From then on, he accepted the fact that shinobi, especially those at his level, would always benefit more from working as a team than working alone.  I’m sure the change wasn’t easy for him.  His credo had always been self reliance above all else.  And yet for his second exam he teamed up with two other students and helped them take down a crazed serial killer that had been abducting and mutilating civilians.  I think it impressed him; not just that he could have actually died that day if not for the help of Akira Saito and another genin, but that his peers were actually worth interacting with, and worth befriending.

From then on, over the course of the next few missions and years, he became fast friends with Akira Saito, who you know as the former Supreme Commander of the ANBU and is a councilor now.  To tell you the truth, no one could have anticipated those two becoming friends.  Akira Saito was brash, illogical, over-enthusiastic, and overall a polar opposite to Shin.  And yet they seemed to have a natural fondness for each other, tempering each others’ extremes.  With Saito by his side, he flourished, proving his worth as a genin, and I think in the process, learning from his friend about other aspects of life outside of the cramped, cold world of his home."

Masao paused to cough into his handkerchief.  He had not talked this lengthily in quite some time, and although refreshing to do so, it did inflame the disease in his lungs.  Briefly, he checked the handkerchief, noting a tiny spackling of blood on it.  That was better than expected – the mednins at the Curatio Domus had been doing an excellent job on him for years.

"Now, back to you, Nakamura.  I can certainly understand your desire to become a shinobi, especially after what happened with your village.  Compared to a civilian, or even a professional soldier of the bakufuu, a shinobi is essentially a weapon of mass destruction.  So regardless of your branch, you will eventually become a force that can destroy nations, or even the world.  No group of drunken rogue missing-nin will ever be able to harm you or your family again.

At the same time, though, you are under the control of your superior officers, who are under the control of the Raikage, who has to listen to the Daimyo of the bakufuu of Kaminari no Kuni.  You are like a rifle stored in the armory, and rifles do not have free will – only their wielders make the decision to shoot and kill another human being.  

It may come to a point where one day the Raikage makes a decision on an overarching issue that has nothing personally to do with you, and issues orders to sennin and jounin, who then issue their orders to chuunin, who then issue an order to you, and that order may very well be to throw your safety away and potentially die in the course of a mission which you may very well believe is pointless.  Have you thought about what might happen if such a thing were to pass?  Is that something you are prepared to deal with?"

[[OOC: The following threads were referenced in this post:

Shin asks Karubin to become his apprentice: http://www.ninpocho.com/naruto/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=37217

Shin fails his first genin exam: http://www.ninpocho.com/naruto/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=33440

Shin’s second genin exam: http://www.ninpocho.com/naruto/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=35001

Shin’s mission at the port with Saito and Enjeru: http://www.ninpocho.com/naruto/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=39182 ]]
Nakamura Akihiko said:

The air felt heavy, at least to the Nakamura, it wasn't because of the smoke that was now beginning to fill the room. None of that could come near him due to his field of distorted gravity that forced the contaminated air up and away from the Carpenter. No this was a type of heaviness that stemmed from uncertainty. Yes, that was it, uncertainty, one of his most hated of feelings. The inability to judge as to where an occurrence was going to happen. The reason he had abandoned his life's work and opted for a more, assured path to power. Because with power uncertainty could not hit one so hard. With power one could write within the very book of their own fate and mold it to their own wills.

He took a breath, and then another trying to calm himself.  And soon he had managed to reign in his emotions, there was nothing to fear from this man. But the air was still heavy.

<B>"I’m impressed by your earnestness, Nakamura.  I was always good at reading people – I could tell that you struggled deciding whether to tell me your real story or a censored version thereof.  I’m glad you chose the former.  As a shinobi, you will of course have to guard your words and cloak your feelings and intentions when dealing with others on missions.  After all, we are supposed to be shadows - inscrutable and unknowable to the enemy.  

However, when you are at home in your village, with those you hold dear or those you trust, it is important to be yourself and let your guard down, even if it makes you a little vulnerable, even if sometimes you get hurt because of that.  You will draw immeasurable strength from those moments of real humanity, and that strength will see you through the darkest of days."

Masao said trying to pass on a bit of wisdom and tying it off with a genuine smile. An act of rapport to show  that he meant no harm to the Nakamura. Akihiko appreciated the gesture, it marked the budding of an easy relationship.  The act of self disclosure to another human being was the way strong friendships began. For by showing one most vulnerable self to another one earned trust and trust could be called upon during times of  trouble. But the down side to that was that nor everybody was trust worthy and a problem stemmed from the fact that knowing who was and wasn't trust worthy  was difficult and not always accurate. So disclosing personal information while liberating wasn't something that was advisable in the long run. For as one grew in power, so too grew ones who would see that power taken for themselves. But Akihiko couldn't possibly say any of this to Masao, young as he was his experience stemmed from the books he had read, his father's teachings  colored negatively by  crisis he had suffered. He was in the eyes of his supriors green, yet to taste the true hardships of life. And if the boy had anything to do about that he never would.

<B> Yes, that is true, wise words. He said portraying a slight admiration in his eyes.  

It wasn't difficult for he actually respected Masao. But idealistic notions pertaining to the addition of friends and the use of emotions especially in this line of work was chancy. And if there was one thing the teen didn't want it was uncertainty. He would make friends, build rapport and if required place himself in a vurlnable position again. But it would all be towards his own goal. Power, enough such that he would never need to feel uncertain again, enough where he would be able to live in peace.  

All action is chaos unless bound by a goal.

One of his father's sayings, and it was true enough.  

Masao after the assuring moment and Akihiko's response began again, adressing the question the carpenter had posed at the end of his own story.

"I think that Hayata Shin also slowly came to realize this as well, as he progressed through the years.

Shin came from a fairly unfortunate family situation, which probably had the most significant influence on how he thought and acted early on.  As I mentioned before, he is an Uchiha by blood.  I believe that the Hayata family is separated from the main clan tree by two or three generations – enough that they go by their own name, but not enough to avoid the famous Uchiha predilection towards tragedy.

His mother was afflicted with a wasting illness and for most of his childhood was bedridden, slowly deteriorating every day and reliant almost entirely on her son to serve as a caregiver.  His father was a very prominent mednin researcher, said to have been the intellectual equal of Karubin Ree.  Some of his research actually laid the groundwork for what we understand about the field of Genjutsu today.  However, based on what I’ve heard, his father was also a distant man, consumed by his work, scornful of those who did not share his passion and talent.  I don’t know whether he ever showed any direct signs of affection to Shin at all, and certainly I don’t believe he was a substantive husband for his wife.

The pen above his head scribbled away furiously writing down each word. And yet mid way through Akihiko heard something that caused a conflict within his mind. Masao had said that Shin's mother had been afflicted with a disease, while when shin had told the tale it had included a poisoning. The boy didn't say anything as to not be rude. But he made a note of it. Since the book on the Raikage was going to be public knowlege anyways it stood no harm in asking about that little detail.  

Because of this environment, young Shin suppressed his emotions, favoring cold, hard logic as his means of interacting with the world.  And yet he, like any other human, was led partly by his own emotions and desires.  Like his father, he favored the field of genjutsu, and his goal was to further research the field and produce results that would outdo even the senior Hayata’s.  He even became Karubin’s apprentice for a brief time in order to try to fulfill that dream.  If that’s not a son seeking a father’s love then I don’t know what is.

I believe that Shin started to want to change, however, when he failed his first genin exam.  How do I know about this?  Interestingly enough, his exam was proctored by none other than Nara Aio, who much later on attempted with others to stage a coup against the seventh Raikage Shinbatsu.  Aio happened to be my superior officer in the ANBU, and so told me all about it.  In any case, the entire exam was him showing our Raikage-to-be a scene of imagined carnage – bodies everywhere, shinobi tending to the wounded, it was a gloriously overdone genjutsu.  But the boy could not explain to Aio what the scene really meant to him.  What it meant emotionally and how such a thing might affect the village.  For Shin, this was a contradiction – he had followed the rules, given the correct answers, and yet he had failed for a reason entirely irrelevant to him.  I don’t know if he resented Aio for this, but it certainly made him think.  And I believe he realized that his problem from the start was that he always worked alone.

From then on, he accepted the fact that shinobi, especially those at his level, would always benefit more from working as a team than working alone.  I’m sure the change wasn’t easy for him.  His credo had always been self reliance above all else.  And yet for his second exam he teamed up with two other students and helped them take down a crazed serial killer that had been abducting and mutilating civilians.  I think it impressed him; not just that he could have actually died that day if not for the help of Akira Saito and another genin, but that his peers were actually worth interacting with, and worth befriending.

From then on, over the course of the next few missions and years, he became fast friends with Akira Saito, who you know as the former Supreme Commander of the ANBU and is a councilor now.  To tell you the truth, no one could have anticipated those two becoming friends.  Akira Saito was brash, illogical, over-enthusiastic, and overall a polar opposite to Shin.  And yet they seemed to have a natural fondness for each other, tempering each others’ extremes.  With Saito by his side, he flourished, proving his worth as a genin, and I think in the process, learning from his friend about other aspects of life outside of the cramped, cold world of his home."

Masao paused to cough into his handkerchief.  He had not talked this lengthily in quite some time, and although refreshing to do so, it did inflame the disease in his lungs.  Briefly, he checked the handkerchief, noting a tiny spackling of blood on it.   Akihiko too saw the splatter on the handkerchief. He felt a slight revulsion deep within his belly. Why anyone would do that to themselves was really beyond the teen. Even if it was for social purposes. Surely the consequences out weighed the benefits. The boy let the subject leave his mind. If humans were rational creatures then a lot of their problems would already be solved.  

Akihiko waited until the episode had passed. He wasn't sure if he wanted to bring up that detail up then. Surely Masao would certainly read about it when the book came out but would he take it as a slight if Akihiko failed to mention it then. The teen as he often did fought it out with himself mentaly trying to think. But unfortunately for him his thoughts had cost him time and Masao shifted the discussion back to the Nakamura.  

"Now, back to you, Nakamura.  I can certainly understand your desire to become a shinobi, especially after what happened with your village.  Compared to a civilian, or even a professional soldier of the bakufuu, a shinobi is essentially a weapon of mass destruction.  So regardless of your branch, you will eventually become a force that can destroy nations, or even the world.  No group of drunken rogue missing-nin will ever be able to harm you or your family again.

At the same time, though, you are under the control of your superior officers, who are under the control of the Raikage, who has to listen to the Daimyo of the bakufuu of Kaminari no Kuni.  You are like a rifle stored in the armory, and rifles do not have free will – only their wielders make the decision to shoot and kill another human being.  

It may come to a point where one day the Raikage makes a decision on an overarching issue that has nothing personally to do with you, and issues orders to sennin and jounin, who then issue their orders to chuunin, who then issue an order to you, and that order may very well be to throw your safety away and potentially die in the course of a mission which you may very well believe is pointless.  Have you thought about what might happen if such a thing were to pass?  Is that something you are prepared to deal with?"

Akihiko paused at the question a look of surprise on his face. In his thoughts he had neglected the real world and to be pulled into it quickly both surprised him and caught him off guard.  

uuuh....ya...sorry my mind was somewhat preoccupied with the history you just told me. ummm let me think.  

Upon recalling the question Akihio was first thankful it wasn't a personal one. And it was also one he had already thought and prepared for. Politics were a major player where power was concerned and what were shinobi but human manifestations of that power. He had already place a plan in place that hopefully would help him avoid that fate.

<COLOR color="grey"> That is true, as shinobi we aren't supposed to have any true wills of our own. And I do not doupt that the day will not come when I am called to go on a mission that might potentially kill me. But I have planned for that. For one I know what I am and what the ramifications are of that choice. My price for this power is the forgoing of my interest for those of the village. So I will do as I am asked. That much is a given.<i></i>

He said, and it was true, everything came with a price and he was willing to pay that price for power.

Though I have taken some steps to lessen the chance of my death. For one though the Med nin core I will acquire jutsu that will allow me to heal myself should I become injured. As you know our Med nin core is low in numbers boosting the value of each Med nin in the village. It is likely that we are to be conserved rather than expended as a village with no Med nin is a weak one. I have take positions within the village that will lead to more administrative positions in the future rather than in the field.  And all the while I am learning as much about the Ninja arts as I can and doing things that I didn't think possible. By the time of my own fruition I will be a valuable asset that the village will wish to prolong rather than expend. And should I be called to the field, I will, hopefully be a bane to my enemies. Though I hope that will be a rare occurrence. The danger really lies with the main and Anbu branches. But there is still that chance and if by that chance I should die. Then so be it, we all must meet our maker eventually I am no more special than any body else.<i></i>

That wasn't entirely true, sure as he was now he wasn't special but once he acquired the sages's power death would be a small thing to him. That was if he would be able to be killed. The Sage was said to have been able to transcend human barriers. But that was legend and legends often stretched the truth. He wouldn't know for sure until he acquired the power and saw for himself.  

It was now that he chose to broach the question.

About shin's mother, when I spoke to him he stated that she had been poisoned. What do you think of this? He asked.

Santaru Rin

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Takaki Masao said:
It was said that the best way to avoid death as a shinobi was to join as many councils and committees as possible, and Nakamura seemed to be going along with the plan.  What the mednin said was true – all villages sought to prolong the lives of shinobi who had a hand in running them.

Smart lad, thought Masao, listening to Akihiko’s plan.  The boy wanted to be a mednin because it was a useful position, not because he entertained any hopes of saving the world or bringing peace to all villages through scholarship or anything else that many a deluded young mednin often envisioned for him or herself.   Yuki Kimiko, rest her soul, had been the same way.  Practicality was something that the former ANBU respected.  And was the least suicidal thing one could do, aside from simply not becoming a shinobi in the first place.  

"Good answers, Nakamura.  You have come to a realization that many your age haven’t - that you need things other than simply the most powerful jutsu or the best techniques to ensure your survival."

Masao gestured to the air, his hand outstretched.

"It’s remarkable, you know, this world we live in now.  Do you realize that there hasn’t been a traditional ground war between any of the countries in the known world for at least the last hundred years?  All humans are born for conflict - it rules our desires and motivates the smallest and the largest of our actions.  In short, conflict is inevitable, and when humans band into nations, war between nations is inevitable.  And yet things like massive formations of troops and artillery marching across the lands, devastating the peasants unfortunate enough to live on the battlefields, are virtually nonexistent.  Instead, you have this state of permanent international détente, in which wars are fought by shinobi in the shadows.  We fight and die constantly so that the rest of the country can go about grumbling that they haven’t had a good war in far too long.

In that way, shinobi like Myself, Hayata Shin, most of the other Sennin...we’re abnormalities.  We’ve lived for longer than expected.  I hope you can join our ranks one day, Nakamura.  I think you have a good start.

Now, I can tell you have a question for me..." said Masao, looking at Akihiko with interest.

"About Shin's mother, when I spoke to him he stated that she had been poisoned. What do you think of this?"

"Ah yes, about the poisoning versus illness - I don’t know the exact answer, and frankly I’m not sure if anyone else truly knows what happened to Hayata Misa and why she became the way she did.  She was an ANBU in the Dawnbringer Era, but a lot of service records from that era were poorly kept and many were heavily classified to the point that we haven’t been able to access them in any meaningful fashion.

Although there is a belief that she was in fact poisoned, there is nothing in the records that clarifies by whom, for what reason, and with what specific agent she was affected by.  Only she would have known more, but unfortunately she is deceased.  I am not a mednin, but I know that Hayata’s father and many others worked on trying to help her, and even they could not find the reason for her decline, much less cure it.  It makes one think that perhaps her decline wasn’t caused by an assasin’s toxin, or an exotic virus or anything like that – perhaps it was simply her fate."

Masao stood up from his chair, stretching his back and the muscles of his trunk.  If he did not keep active on a regular basis, the chronic pain in those battered muscles and bones would return and he would have to ask the mednins for yet more opiates.  The substances were habit-forming, and he did not want to become too dependent on them, more than he already was on medication to keep his frame in any sort of shape for service.

"Nakamura-san, I am afraid that my time with you must come to an end soon.  I cannot stay too long in one place, or I start to have trouble paying my bill of health.  Also, we have come to the point in the Raikage’s story where my memories of him mostly end, and where others’ begin.  In particular, I would direct you to talk further with Akira Saito himself, who was and likely still is Shin’s closest confidante.  He may not be as willing to talk with you as I was, but if you tell him that I will vouch for you, he might bend a bit."

Masao reached over to retrieve his suit jacket slung over the chair, before abruptly sitting again, seemingly having changed his mind.

"Ah, one more thing I nearly forgot to mention.  I did have one more significant personal interaction with Hayata.  Before I became head of ANBU Internal Affairs I was the ANBU rep and vice-chief of the Kumo Foreign Service.  One of our biggest trouble spots in the Shinbatsu Era was a breakaway province northeast of Kumo, namely the Kagoshima province.  You know it now to be a small but wealthy nation where you can go gamble and have fun, but back then it was a real third-world shithole.  Its current president, Date Daisuke, had only started to consolidate his control over the place after the Daimyo of our country agreed on a peace treaty, and assassination attempts on him happened practically every day by any group you can imagine.  We decided to protect President Date, and one of the operatives I sent over was Hayata Shin.  That time, he was still being targeted by factions within the Lightning Country government, and we needed someone with intelligence and subtlety.

Shin and I met briefly before his departure so I could brief him on some updated intel.  It was the first time I had spoken to him for a good long while.  I could tell he had changed.  No longer was he an annoying, geeky kid who didn’t look cut out for any shinobi job.  He was more confident, better-spoken, and definitely in better physical shape.  He was still a consummate data-miner and still recorded everything down in his notebooks, though.  In any case, I gave him his intel, and before he left, he told me that he was sorry about what had happened all those years ago at Reikon’s funeral.  I didn’t even think he remembered the incident, and I had recovered from it long ago, but it still meant a lot to me, coming from him.

He of course handled his mission well.  President Date survived, and I recommended Shin be promoted to Jounin rank, which the council unanimously approved, given his performance.  Also, interesting bit of trivia – Shin is a 'Hero of the People' in Kagoshima, so his legend is actually quite entertainingly overblown over there."

Masao chuckled at that memory.  True enough, Shin had a special place in that country, enough that they had put up a rather embellished statue of him in one of the main city’s plazas.  He had seen it a few times when he had visited Date and Kimura Rei and their children.

"And now, finally, I must take my leave.  You are welcome to come to my estate if you get a chance to leave the village.  My wife and I would be happy to have you over for any reason.

Good luck on your book.  I look forward to reading it."

[[Threads referenced in this post:
http://www.ninpocho.com/naruto/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=49251

http://www.ninpocho.com/naruto/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=49300]]
Nakamura Akihiko said:
"Good answers, Nakamura.  You have come to a realization that many your age haven’t - that you need things other than simply the most powerful jutsu or the best techniques to ensure your survival."

Masao replied with a hint of surprise in his voice. Akihiko  nodded, after all even if one was in a dangerous career that did not mean he was suicidal. On the contrary, he planned on living well into his sixties. And to do that he needed to ensure his survival. These things needed plans, carefully laid out and executed with the utmost of care. He was nothing if not methodical.

Yes, well if there is one thing I learned early was that Ideals often are never attainable in the real world. And in the shinobi world all ideals do is simply get you killed. Practicality often serves well.</B><i></i>

Masao gestured to the air, his hand outstretched.  Maybe stretching as the boy replied then he came with his own.

"It’s remarkable, you know, this world we live in now.  Do you realize that there hasn’t been a traditional ground war between any of the countries in the known world for at least the last hundred years?  All humans are born for conflict - it rules our desires and motivates the smallest and the largest of our actions.  In short, conflict is inevitable, and when humans band into nations, war between nations is inevitable.  And yet things like massive formations of troops and artillery marching across the lands, devastating the peasants unfortunate enough to live on the battlefields, are virtually nonexistent.  Instead, you have this state of permanent international détente, in which wars are fought by shinobi in the shadows.  We fight and die constantly so that the rest of the country can go about grumbling that they haven’t had a good war in far too long.

In that way, shinobi like Myself, Hayata Shin, most of the other Sennin...we’re abnormalities.  We’ve lived for longer than expected.  I hope you can join our ranks one day, Nakamura.  I think you have a good start.

Akihiko nodded agreeing thankful for the complement.

I certainly hope to rise to your ranks one day. <i></i> Akihiko said.    

Akihiko then went on to ask his own question to which masao replied.

"Ah yes, about the poisoning versus illness - I don’t know the exact answer, and frankly I’m not sure if anyone else truly knows what happened to Hayata Misa and why she became the way she did.  She was an ANBU in the Dawnbringer Era, but a lot of service records from that era were poorly kept and many were heavily classified to the point that we haven’t been able to access them in any meaningful fashion.

Although there is a belief that she was in fact poisoned, there is nothing in the records that clarifies by whom, for what reason, and with what specific agent she was affected by.  Only she would have known more, but unfortunately she is deceased.  I am not a mednin, but I know that Hayata’s father and many others worked on trying to help her, and even they could not find the reason for her decline, much less cure it.  It makes one think that perhaps her decline wasn’t caused by an assasin’s toxin, or an exotic virus or anything like that – perhaps it was simply her fate."

Masao stood up from his chair, stretching his back and the muscles of his trunk. He seemed to sometime wince and grab some parts of his body. It seemed that his long life of service had ravaged his body. Akihiko felt sorry for him.  

"Nakamura-san, I am afraid that my time with you must come to an end soon.  I cannot stay too long in one place, or I start to have trouble paying my bill of health.  Also, we have come to the point in the Raikage’s story where my memories of him mostly end, and where others’ begin.  In particular, I would direct you to talk further with Akira Saito himself, who was and likely still is Shin’s closest confidante.  He may not be as willing to talk with you as I was, but if you tell him that I will vouch for you, he might bend a bit."

<B> Yes, I can understand, Thank you I shall try to find Saito-sama and question him as well.  

Masao reached over to retrieve his suit jacket slung over the chair, before abruptly sitting again, seemingly having changed his mind.  

"Ah, one more thing I nearly forgot to mention.  I did have one more significant personal interaction with Hayata.  Before I became head of ANBU Internal Affairs I was the ANBU rep and vice-chief of the Kumo Foreign Service.  One of our biggest trouble spots in the Shinbatsu Era was a breakaway province northeast of Kumo, namely the Kagoshima province.  You know it now to be a small but wealthy nation where you can go gamble and have fun, but back then it was a real third-world shithole.  Its current president, Date Daisuke, had only started to consolidate his control over the place after the Daimyo of our country agreed on a peace treaty, and assassination attempts on him happened practically every day by any group you can imagine.  We decided to protect President Date, and one of the operatives I sent over was Hayata Shin.  That time, he was still being targeted by factions within the Lightning Country government, and we needed someone with intelligence and subtlety.

Shin and I met briefly before his departure so I could brief him on some updated intel.  It was the first time I had spoken to him for a good long while.  I could tell he had changed.  No longer was he an annoying, geeky kid who didn’t look cut out for any shinobi job.  He was more confident, better-spoken, and definitely in better physical shape.  He was still a consummate data-miner and still recorded everything down in his notebooks, though.  In any case, I gave him his intel, and before he left, he told me that he was sorry about what had happened all those years ago at Reikon’s funeral.  I didn’t even think he remembered the incident, and I had recovered from it long ago, but it still meant a lot to me, coming from him.

He of course handled his mission well.  President Date survived, and I recommended Shin be promoted to Jounin rank, which the council unanimously approved, given his performance.  Also, interesting bit of trivia – Shin is a 'Hero of the People' in Kagoshima, so his legend is actually quite entertainingly overblown over there

Masao chuckled at the fond memory.

The pen took down somemore information. As Akihiko nodded in admiration. Shin - sama was a legend already. But in order to have risen to the title of Raikage he would have to have been. After all they didn't just leave anyone to enter into that esteemed position. He would have to travel there someday and learn of that legend.

I will have to go and hear that legend for my self one day.

"And now, finally, I must take my leave.  You are welcome to come to my estate if you get a chance to leave the village.  My wife and I would be happy to have you over for any reason.

Good luck on your book.  I look forward to reading it."

Akihiko nodded standing to shake Masao's hand.

Yes, I am looking forward to writing it. You shall be one of the first I send it to.

Once done he let go of the gravity his nose immidiately registering the smoke from the cigarettes that Masao had been smoking. He paid it no mind though he would be out soon. He packed his things and waited for Masao to leave first. A small courtesy his father had told him to always observe. Once Masao went Akihiko would follow and thus the interview would end.

Akira Saito said:
News had reached Akira's ears of the presence of someone from the old days, happier days when he was a youth. Those were days when Akira had smiled, though not often, those were days when Mojo had played and they were ANBU under the training of Shinbatsu. Masao in particular had been fun for Akira to hang out with as a pair of ANBU, though he knew Rin and was well aware of her she was probably more one to remember Mojo. Akira had not been anything of note at the time, with exception of his massive size and bulk. Shorter than the avatar though broader.

With the dissapearance of Ari he wondered if perhaps a return to the old guard would be a better idea than continuing the path the ANBU were currently on. Sometimes a backwards step allowed someone to make progress by going around a barrier than simply pushing forwards through it.

He would send his most trusted messenger to see if the rumours were true. Only one would know and recognise a shinobi of such age. Grey haired and his age clearly showing Mojo set out from the ANBU Headquarters. No longer the young spry monkey he once had been he now had wounds which would never fully heal, mainly due to his age, but the little monkey would knowingly make that sacrifice again. He may no longer be of use as a fighter, or as the ANBU he had once been, but he had lost that ability to keep his master alive. Running through the village he kept mainly to the streets, his eyes wandering to the rooftops and trees which had once been his playground. He knew he was limping, and he knew that moving into the trees would cause him discomfort and pain... yet for those few moments of thrill... no... he had a job to do, a task sent by his master and he would do it as he would till the day he died.

Darting into the tower he looked around, scampering through the foyer and as he reached the hall he saw a youngster leaving, no-one of note, not who the small monkey was after. Yet the man behind him. He could smell him from that distance. Mojo still wore the ANBU garb of old, the outfit that the ANBU used to wear a decade and a half earlier. It was a much loved outfit, and the small mask shaped to that of general human shaped face. The wide eyes of the monkey watched as the older man would step out, and that stench of cigarettes and terrible purfume... but under those... that taint of familiarity. He let out a chirp, sharp, curious, then again before slapping his hands on the floor to get the mans attention.
Takaki Masao said:
"Make sure you autograph it. It’ll be a collector’s item one day and perhaps it’ll make my foolish descendants rich," he chuckled, shaking Akihiko’s hand as he exited the room. "Until we meet again."

As a habit of old, Masao slowed his pace, pretending to loiter in the open ground floor of the Torre Celeste, until he had confirmed that Akihiko had safely left. Such a tactic would have also been useful if he had needed to trail the mednin for any reason, or if had needed to prepare himself for an ambush from enemy forces. Logically, it made no sense given his location, for Kumo was the safest possible place for any shinobi to be, most of the time. But habits often defied situational logic, and because of that characteristic were most helpful in assuring one’s survival.

For a moment, Masao was at a temporary loss for what to do next. He had no idea what Enjeru’s schedule was at the hospital, and even if his son had wanted for him to visit, such a thing would be impossible during clinical duty. Also, if his son were post-overnight call, then Masao had no intention of interrupting the precious little sleep he could manage. Visiting Saeko was also out of the question, as she was not even located in Kumo in the first place. After her chuunin exam, she had taken one of her father’s paths in life and had joined the Kumo Foreign Service, taking on the post of diplomatic liaison to the small nation of Kagoshima, and now serving as Kimura Rei’s personal assistant and bodyguard. Regardless, Kagoshima was at least two days’ travel from Kumo, and that was by the expensive routes.

As if to answer Masao’s question for him, however, a monkey chirped.

Most would have automatically recoiled at the sight of the wizened, masked simian in front of them. Its fur was thinning, greying to the point where one could see every sinew and fiber of the chalky flesh under the tattered coat it wore. It carried itself more like a human would than other, similar specimens of primate would, which only served to accentuate its alien nature to the casual onlooker. However, to the old sennin, the creature that approached him was a paradoxically welcome sight, and one he knew well.

"Mojo," he said, cracking a grin. Forgetting his age and status, he sat on his haunches and dug his hand into the inner pocket of his suit jacket, fishing out a frayed pack of cigarettes. Out of it he drew two of them, passing one to the monkey, which enthusiastically accepted. Flicking the carbide lighter’s flame into one of its many daily existences, he held it out for Mojo before igniting the end of his own cigarette. For a while, both man and monkey remained still, their poses mirroring each other’s while the smoke filled their lungs and swirled upwards in lazy dragon trails toward the ceiling. After a while, Masao spoke again.

"Well, I assume if you’ve come here to see me, that also means your master wants to see me, no?" he asked. Of course, the anatomy of Mojo’s larynx did not support human speech, nor did Masao expect the creature to surprise him with a burst of eloquence, but in his mind, the aged creature was more of a shinobi than most others, and definitely possessed more understanding to boot. Seemingly appreciative of the consideration, Mojo bowed, then righting himself, started to lope towards his destination. Masao followed closely, every now and then taking a welcome drag. A summons from Mojo was essentially a summons from the monkey’s master - there was no mistaking it.

Part II

Nakamura Akihiko said:
A couple of days had passed since his interview the Masao-Sama and in that time Akihiko had been quite busy. The escape of the five shinobi from the village had caused a bit of an up roar, if not a panic. Things had seemed to be falling apart at the seams as people always seemed to be running every which way to do something about it. Akihiko himself had been confined to the hospital where rounds had nearly tripled since the loss of their Medical Sennin. The administration had literally fallen apart and the few Med-nin there were beyond exhusted but there was ever more work to be done. Akihiko was thankful that at least there hadn't been any grave injuries that required surgery. As prepared as he usually was, he knew he wasn't prepared for that. But because of that he had neglected his book keeping duties and the book he had been writing on the Raikage had taken a bit of a back seat to his other tasks. He was tiered to say the lest but work needed to be done and here he was once again.

He walked into the massive entrace way to the Tower and noted some Anbu moving around which was unusual. One never actually saw the ANBU unless they wished to be seen. So things must have been much more dire than the teen had originally thought.  

Shin-sama must be having it pretty rough.

The teen thought as he moved once again to the conference room where he would be interviewing Santaru Rin. The place as wide with massive windows showing a feild of cloud cover but unlike last time the teen obly went to the table and sat placing his head down. He slowly closed his eyes thinking of taking a short nap before Rin arrived.

Just for a minute.

Santaru Rin said:
Rin looked up just as the last trickle of sand ran to the bottom of the glass. I guess it's that time, then. She marked the hour in a separate log she was keeping, then put her work back into her desk and fed some chakra to the wards. The chakra lock was low-level, but tampering with it would simply cause the entire desk to burn. Anything she had in there was disposable compared to the risk of leaks. She pulled on her black overcoat; it was embroidered with clouds in varying shades of indigo thread. She enjoyed the feel of it dragging over her bared forearms, and settled the weight squarely on her narrow shoulders. The thing was sort of relic from her time as the Santaru clan head. Now that she was permanently back in Kumogakure, her wardrobe had become somewhat limited, and most of her clothes at home were no longer appropriate for the situations she'd find herself in these days.

Situations like being interviewed about the newest Raikage's childhood... She wondered why she was being asked about this man. What were his accomplishments? He had helped create a sort of artificial man. That work was surely unprecedented, but what did that have to do with leadership, success in battle, or diplomacy? As far as she knew, his experiences in diplomacy had been a failure. Luckily I'm not being asked about that. It would be impolitic at best, and probably result in a lecture from Hayata at worst. At least she could say that Hayata Shin had certainly become something other than the dangerously simple-minded boy she'd known long ago.

She exited the suite with a simple nod to the guards posted at the door. Masao was off doing Raijin knew what; probably committing statutory rape with some Genin or trainees, for all she knew. The boy she was to see was the one who had piqued Masao's interest and led them to visiting Kumogakure again in the first place. If only he knew what events he's put into motion, she mused, and grinned to herself. It wasn't a particularly motherly grin. Her long stride took her down stairs and through corridors and into inky darkness she knew as protective genjutsu. With her destination firmly in mind, she emerged into the public area of the Torre, and found her way to the conference room the request had stipulated.

The door was already open. She moved like a shadow, nary a whisper of fabric or sandal betraying her as she walked around the dozing trainee. She examined his appearance minutely. Is this the young buck who's going to interview me? Really? she wondered. His skin was dark, much darker than hers, but not so deeply hued as Shinbatsu's. Dark hair, average sized, and average fitness, too, she guessed. Maybe he was more than he appeared to be. He was the only kid who'd proactively approached her so far. Points for balls.

She sat across from him and gazed out the window. The clouds were particularly thick today; she enjoyed watching the sky and tracking the various permutations of the weather. Though she could no longer shape it to her will, she would always feel connected to the atmosphere. Her god-granted powers had sustained her for so long that she could not help but love the rain, the snow, the drumming of hail, the promise of a storm... Even a peaceful sky had always held a covenant for her: simply call, and lightning would answer. That was the whole of prayer: all else was simply form. Now, she knew that she needed call on nothing but herself. She no longer had to pray for strength: she had reached an understanding, and found the promise within herself. If she only kept breathing, day by day she would unlock more of herself, and all of those fears she had held and which had held her would simply fall away into the void.

She cleared her throat. "I came for the interview about the Raikage," she said, voice low. "Maybe I should have brought notes along with me, but we can't all follow Hayata's example." She would smile at Nakamura when he snapped out of his nap. She had one been young and prone to taking on more work than she really had the time and energy for. Let him work it out for himself. Her posture was relaxed; one arm was draped along the back of her chair, the other elbow supporting her weight on the table. The very image of nonchalant: that was Santaru Rin. She traced seals on the tabletop idly, not shaping any chakra, but her aura began to pulse faintly, invisible. Since that night at the shrine, she knew her lightning affinity was on the wane; still, there was something undeniably electrifying in her chakra, and it was awakening.

Santaru Rin

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Nakamura Akihiko said:
"I came for the interview about the Raikage, maybe I should have brought notes along with me, but we can't all follow Hayata's example."

The low womanly tone carried on past the Nakamura's ears flowing into them and jumps starting him from his nap. He woke with a start, slipping of of his chair onto the floor. His embarrasment, was clearly apparent as he slowly clibed back to see the woman he expected to be Santaru Rin. He gave a nervous smiled, looking to the floor in embarrasment.

Forgive me Rin-sama. I am in a sorry state as of late, the latest string of escapes robbed the Medical staff of it's sennin. Needless to say we are lacking in leadership and the recruitment has been lacking of late.  
</B>
<i></i>

He gave a curt bow before sitting down. It was then that he felt a slight shift in the air. It was faint, hardly noticeable had he not been one so attuned with chakra. He could if he focused sense something of a charge that he usually associated with a lightening affinity. But he hadn't formed any chakra, unless of course in his sleep he had been manipulating chakra.  No, he though this one felt different, more volitile than his own controlled chakra manipulation. He looked over to Rin then deduced that it came from Rin, though why she was emitting such a chakra was puzzling to the Nakamura. Unless it was involintary, in which case he could only marvel at the strength of her chakra type.  

<B> Rin sama, shall I begin. I would like to know a bit more about, Shin-sama. What were your opinions of him as a child. Any stories you may have about him would be greatly appreciated. Begin wherever you would like.

He said then with a few seals he created a seperate field of gravity where he placed his notebook and pen. There they floated the pen ready to record whatever Santaru Rin said.
Santaru Rin said:
"I've heard," Rin replied gravely. "It's a shame. We'll have them back, in the end. You might be interested to know that most executions of nukenin who successfully fled the village actually occur at the Gates. They can't seem to stay away." She said nothing about his nap. It was unfair to mock someone run ragged because of others' failures.

"Rin-sama, shall I begin? I would like to know a bit more about Shin-sama. What were your opinions of him as a child. Any stories you may have about him would be greatly appreciated. Begin wherever you would like."

"Hayata Shin as a child?" she mused. "Maybe you should brace yourself--our mutual history was rough. I hope that any inclusion of what I say doesn't lead to censorship of your work." Rin was not particularly worried that Hayata would be insulted; he still seemed to have no need for self-censorship, and while he might be surprised at her opinions, he tended to value honesty over self-censorship.

"When we were students, we did have some classes together. I graduated before him, though, and we were not particularly close. My clearest, earliest memory of him is the night of Reikon Dyu's funeral at the Takaki estate. The boy simply wandered into the clan's compound without an invitation, and proceeded to blithely insult everyone and ignore the orders of his superiors, including an ANBU Sennin and a Jounin-ranked academy sensei. I wouldn't call it courage so much as obliviousness. At the time, I considered him sadistic and, to be frank, more than a little idiotic. His emotional responses to situations during that period were usually inappropriate. Takaki Masao was nonetheless compassionate toward him, perhaps doing more for Hayata-sama than any of the criticism aimed at him then.

"He failed his Genin exam sometime in that period, which, to the rest of our class, served to justify our opinions of him. He did little to try to change our opinions, and had few friends, except perhaps Akira Saito. Few people could stand to be around him. Even after he graduated to Genin, few shinobi went on missions with him that I remember. People found him too off-putting, and his ways of expressing himself simply too alien."

She scratched the back of her neck, thinking back. The waters of time were troubled, but her recall had been trained to dredge deeply. "Once, we both attended an event put on by Kazama Ringo, at the time a sennin and med-nin--before he was executed for treason. Kazama challenged all low-rank comers to a one versus many battle. Hayata-sama and myself were both there." She glanced down. "We were unable to defeat him, but we were all students and Genin, so that is no surprise. Hayata-sama was badly wounded by Kazama's retaliatory strikes, which were simply too high a level for us to avoid. When I saw, I ran to him to pull him out of the fight--but Kazama realized what had happened when several of us started heading for Hayata-sama, and stopped attacking in order to heal the boy. At that point, I left--at the time, I figured Kazama should clean up his own messes. I also," she grimaced, "knew absolutely no healing jutsu, so once Hayata was no longer a target, there wasn't anything I could do. Sticking around and being useless has never really been my way.

"I recall that, at the tail end of the demon invasion, he even lectured me and one of my companions for taking a break at the bar while the last of the low-level suppression efforts went on." She smiled, then, a bearing of teeth that gleamed with an old, vicious joy. "Of course, if he'd known she and I had just finished a duel--non-lethal, of course--he would have been more outraged. But he also couldn't have known that my med-nin friend had been working in the hospital without rest during the worst of it, nor that I had supported, as center assault, the subjugation of forces trying to invest the Aburame compound, and within hours of that, the destruction of the demonic forces' leadership and their method of travel into the living world." She sighed. "In a way, those were the 'good old days'--internal threats were minimal, and we had external problems we could focus our energy on. A single-front conflict is always ideal for maintaining a village's cohesiveness.

"Suffice to say, anyway, that Hayata Shin was a youth devoid of charisma. His lack of empathy and poor luck undermined his goals at every turn. I believe that he was sincere in wanting to improve the efficiency of our village, but his methods were fundamentally flawed. It took years, I think, for him to really grasp not only that he was somehow wrong, but why that was. In some sense, I think, he will never fully grasp that. I saw when Karubin shot down his request for an apprenticeship; this was just before an incident--well, a classified incident that we thought at the time was an assassination attempt on Karubin's life. In the end, though, I think Hayata Shin found himself redeemed; Karubin has, it seems, consented to do some work with Hayata, and I think Hayata has finally fulfilled part of one of his cherished goals.

"I don't think he ever really aimed to become Raikage. Those weren't his ambitions as a boy. Maybe he found himself in the right place at the wrong time, so to speak. I do remember hearing about a mission he was on with my husband and some other shinobi; he performed valiantly, as I remember--he isn't a coward, at least not against physical threats, and he had a strong natural grasp of battle tactics. But people were his weakness. That is perhaps the primary reason he was never approached with an offer to apprentice with the ANBU. His loyalty was above reproach; he performed with distinction on successive missions thereafter, including guarding the then-new ruler of Kagoshima, and even protecting a group of low-ranked nin at the Gates during the October Rebellion. This, I only know second and third hand. Most of my direct experience with him was limited to unpleasant interpersonal interactions. It wasn't for years that we could approach each other without some sort of hostility, at least on my part; perhaps just defensiveness on his. I can't say that we're even entirely reconciled. We are simply too different."
Nakamura Akihiko said:
"I've heard," Rin replied gravely. "It's a shame. We'll have them back, in the end. You might be interested to know that most executions of nukenin who successfully fled the village actually occur at the Gates. They can't seem to stay away."  

Akihiko nodded, though the thought of an execution was somewhat redundant in his opinion. If they were to be killed it should have been when they tried to escape. These sort of things were best handled immediately with swift vengeance to make an example for anyone else who thought to run. But as was the case in most of Kumo there simply were no enough people strong enough to take on the task. After all all the people strong enough to win those kinds of fights were of course the ones running. There was an irony there but he was too tired to find it.   He would keep his opinion to himself, after all he was nothing but a lowly Genin ranked shinobi and questioning or criticizing  his elders was not a wise things to do.

He began the interview asking for some early memories and Rin obliged.

"Hayata Shin as a child?" she mused. "Maybe you should brace yourself--our mutual history was rough. I hope that any inclusion of what I say doesn't lead to censorship of your work."  

Akihiko chuckled wearily. No, I do not believe anything I find out will censor my work. Please do continue.<i></i>  

"When we were students, we did have some classes together. I graduated before him, though, and we were not particularly close. My clearest, earliest memory of him is the night of Reikon Dyu's funeral at the Takaki estate. The boy simply wandered into the clan's compound without an invitation, and proceeded to blithely insult everyone and ignore the orders of his superiors, including an ANBU Sennin and a Jounin-ranked academy sensei. I wouldn't call it courage so much as obliviousness. At the time, I considered him sadistic and, to be frank, more than a little idiotic. His emotional responses to situations during that period were usually inappropriate. Takaki Masao was nonetheless compassionate toward him, perhaps doing more for Hayata-sama than any of the criticism aimed at him then.

"He failed his Genin exam sometime in that period, which, to the rest of our class, served to justify our opinions of him. He did little to try to change our opinions, and had few friends, except perhaps Akira Saito. Few people could stand to be around him. Even after he graduated to Genin, few shinobi went on missions with him that I remember. People found him too off-putting, and his ways of expressing himself simply too alien."

She scratched the back of her neck, in thought as Akihiko rubbed his to relive the pressure that seemed to center there. When the memory came more strongly she continued. "Once, we both attended an event put on by Kazama Ringo, at the time a sennin and med-nin--before he was executed for treason. Kazama challenged all low-rank comers to a one versus many battle. Hayata-sama and myself were both there." She glanced down. "We were unable to defeat him, but we were all students and Genin, so that is no surprise. Hayata-sama was badly wounded by Kazama's retaliatory strikes, which were simply too high a level for us to avoid. When I saw, I ran to him to pull him out of the fight--but Kazama realized what had happened when several of us started heading for Hayata-sama, and stopped attacking in order to heal the boy. At that point, I left--at the time, I figured Kazama should clean up his own messes. I also," she grimaced, "knew absolutely no healing jutsu, so once Hayata was no longer a target, there wasn't anything I could do. Sticking around and being useless has never really been my way.

"I recall that, at the tail end of the demon invasion, he even lectured me and one of my companions for taking a break at the bar while the last of the low-level suppression efforts went on." She smiled, then, a bearing of teeth that gleamed with an old, vicious joy. "Of course, if he'd known she and I had just finished a duel--non-lethal, of course--he would have been more outraged. But he also couldn't have known that my med-nin friend had been working in the hospital without rest during the worst of it, nor that I had supported, as center assault, the subjugation of forces trying to invest the Aburame compound, and within hours of that, the destruction of the demonic forces' leadership and their method of travel into the living world." She sighed. "In a way, those were the 'good old days'--internal threats were minimal, and we had external problems we could focus our energy on. A single-front conflict is always ideal for maintaining a village's cohesiveness.

"Suffice to say, anyway, that Hayata Shin was a youth devoid of charisma. His lack of empathy and poor luck undermined his goals at every turn. I believe that he was sincere in wanting to improve the efficiency of our village, but his methods were fundamentally flawed. It took years, I think, for him to really grasp not only that he was somehow wrong, but why that was. In some sense, I think, he will never fully grasp that. I saw when Karubin shot down his request for an apprenticeship; this was just before an incident--well, a classified incident that we thought at the time was an assassination attempt on Karubin's life. In the end, though, I think Hayata Shin found himself redeemed; Karubin has, it seems, consented to do some work with Hayata, and I think Hayata has finally fulfilled part of one of his cherished goals.

"I don't think he ever really aimed to become Raikage. Those weren't his ambitions as a boy. Maybe he found himself in the right place at the wrong time, so to speak. I do remember hearing about a mission he was on with my husband and some other shinobi; he performed valiantly, as I remember--he isn't a coward, at least not against physical threats, and he had a strong natural grasp of battle tactics. But people were his weakness. That is perhaps the primary reason he was never approached with an offer to apprentice with the ANBU. His loyalty was above reproach; he performed with distinction on successive missions thereafter, including guarding the then-new ruler of Kagoshima, and even protecting a group of low-ranked nin at the Gates during the October Rebellion. This, I only know second and third hand. Most of my direct experience with him was limited to unpleasant interpersonal interactions. It wasn't for years that we could approach each other without some sort of hostility, at least on my part; perhaps just defensiveness on his. I can't say that we're even entirely reconciled. We are simply too different."

For the most part, her story coincided with the one he had heard from Masao-sama. Though she offered a different view into the interpritation of Shin-sama's condition. A valueable view that would give the biography a human aspect. The Nakamura looked up to his notebook seeing the pen make some final adjustments.  He cracked his neck and sighed in relief as the bones slid into their proper places, relived more pressure he felt there.  

That is a great insight into Shin-sama's demenor as a child. Now could you elaborate more on his adolecence and adulthood. You touched some on them.<i></i> He asked.
Anonymous said:
"I suppose," she replied, "That at the time of the October Plot, the suppression of the bakufuu in Kagoshima, and so forth, that he was probably already an adult. I suppose I was also unclear--I didn't differentiate between being a child and being an adolescent. You would likely have to check the historical record to find his age at each of those points. He is younger than I am, and I paid little attention to him. After the October Plot, we had even less to do with each other; I was absorbed into my responsibilities towards the ANBU, and didn't mingle much with the main branch. At that time, the ANBU were ascendant, and the quality of the main branch was leeched away by ANBU and the Curatio.

"There was a great deal of tumult. Dueling had just been revived around that period, so the traditional shinobi match became popular; there were a high level of run attempts by members of the main branch... I suppose this isn't directly related, but those pressures likely helped form Hayata Shin. He saw many of his age group die--murders, or executions, or the other events of the time. The law of our childhoods was simply whatever the upper echelons said it was. No doubt those abuses informed his father's views and, naturally, his own. He has learned to be wary of concentrating a great deal of power into any single person's hands as a result.

"We both knew personally many individuals who betrayed Kumogakure, including nearly an entire generation of Sennin. I don't doubt that my husband already told you of Hyakurai--then Santaru--Ryuuto, who secretly became the Raikage. Details around that event are vague. Suffice to say, only his inner circle knew much about it; many of those individuals died or disappeared, and remain unaccounted for, since the rebellion. Hyakurai opted to tell a Gate guard, Tenrai Rokuro, over telling his trainees--myself and Masao. Then he more or less disappeared, along with a high ranking Kumogakure kunoichi. Hayata Shin knew him. He also knew Kazama Ringo. Likewise, he knew Nara Ryuujin, who disappeared after his retirement and may have joined Kirigakure--details are likewise vague here, and mainly speculation at this point. So, as you can see, instability is nothing new for us. It's really a wonder that despite the coldness with which many of us treated him, Hayata Shin has remained apparently loyal to the village."
Nakamura Akihiko said:
I suppose," she replied, "That at the time of the October Plot, the suppression of the bakufuu in Kagoshima, and so forth, that he was probably already an adult. I suppose I was also unclear--I didn't differentiate between being a child and being an adolescent. You would likely have to check the historical record to find his age at each of those points. He is younger than I am, and I paid little attention to him. After the October Plot, we had even less to do with each other; I was absorbed into my responsibilities towards the ANBU, and didn't mingle much with the main branch. At that time, the ANBU were ascendant, and the quality of the main branch was leeched away by ANBU and the Curatio.  

Akihiko nodded and his pen continued to write.

"There was a great deal of tumult. Dueling had just been revived around that period, so the traditional shinobi match became popular; there were a high level of run attempts by members of the main branch... I suppose this isn't directly related, but those pressures likely helped form Hayata Shin. He saw many of his age group die--murders, or executions, or the other events of the time. The law of our childhoods was simply whatever the upper echelons said it was. No doubt those abuses informed his father's views and, naturally, his own. He has learned to be wary of concentrating a great deal of power into any single person's hands as a result.

"We both knew personally many individuals who betrayed Kumogakure, including nearly an entire generation of Sennin. I don't doubt that my husband already told you of Hyakurai--then Santaru--Ryuuto, who secretly became the Raikage. Details around that event are vague. Suffice to say, only his inner circle knew much about it; many of those individuals died or disappeared, and remain unaccounted for, since the rebellion. Hyakurai opted to tell a Gate guard, Tenrai Rokuro, over telling his trainees--myself and Masao. Then he more or less disappeared, along with a high ranking Kumogakure kunoichi. Hayata Shin knew him. He also knew Kazama Ringo. Likewise, he knew Nara Ryuujin, who disappeared after his retirement and may have joined Kirigakure--details are likewise vague here, and mainly speculation at this point. So, as you can see, instability is nothing new for us. It's really a wonder that despite the coldness with which many of us treated him, Hayata Shin has remained apparently loyal to the village."

Akihiko nodded and as the last sylyble came of of Rin's lips the last word was writen in the journal. Akihiko nodded and looked at the now filled journal. He figured this would be enough information to do Shin some justice in the telling of his story. He looked back up at Rin.

Good, a very well account Rin-sama. Is there more you have to say?<i></i> He asked politely. If there wasn't more to add then Akihiko would be well on his way. He had a lot of writing to do, not to mention his other responsibilities.
Santaru Rin said:
"That's the size of it," Rin replied. "If you haven't already, I'd recommend talking to Akira Saito. As I remember, he and Hayata were friends of a sort. Akira is almost certainly closer to him than I." She looked out the window, unconsciously checking the sun's position. "It was nice talking to you," she said awkwardly. "I suppose I'll be seeing you around. Good luck with your biography." She stood smoothly, giving the youth a nod, and gathered her chakra tightly around her as she departed.

Santaru Rin

Yen
ASP
Deaths
What Started It All

Nakamura Akihiko said:
Akihiko walked with purpose, his foot steps echoing within the long hallway within the Raikage's tower. It's grand open windows displaying the outside world that erned this country it's name. It was beautiful, clouds like rolling hills surrounded the building, and seemed like a sea to extend out into the mountains. One felt almost as if they could jump out and float away on the soft clouds. This of course was illogical unless some gravity jutsu was employed.

Might try that sometime.

Akihiko though with a small notion of excitement. But this certainly was not time for childish thoughts. He was the New Book keeper at the library and from his inventory check the library was almost pathologically lacking in some areas. The Kage's histories were disorganized with massive parts of their history missing. It was somewhat horrifying. So here the young Nakamura was, he would begin here then work his way to where he needed to be. And if he couldn't recover the information he would begin the records with Shin as his first subject.

He soon arrived at the Raikage's waiting room, a large open space with a domed ceiling. Large comfortable chairs lined it's outer rim with a massive desk with the Raikage's assistant sitting there dealing with all the people who bustled in and out. Akihiko went to a chair and sat down setting down his note book. He had scheduled an appointment so he would be called soon enough. Now all he had to do was wait.
Hayata Shin said:
"Tell the committie that white and red is fine. I will finailize the details at the end of the day, personally. Thank you, Aoi."  A voice echoed from the within the door. The voice was not angry but rather content as Akihiko could hear the voice grow louder as the the door slowly creaked open revealing large black sandals. The feet were accompanied by a full body; it was a man dressed in a black and white robe that covered the most of his body except his nose an eyes. His eyes were masked by a gray-blue tinted glasses but Akihiko could tell that a calm composure was behind it.

"I apologize for the late I was finishing some work for the coming festival. I am the Raikage Hayata Shin. How can I be of service to you, Akihiko." The man said as he offered his hand of greeting with a smile.
Nakamura Akihiko said:
Akihiko waited for a little while, his eyes drifting to every little thing within the waiting room. He was patient but even he could succumb to boredom. And from the look of it he would be waiting for long time. And wait he did, he went through the phases of boredom. The reassurance that the Raikage would come out soon. The what is taking him so long anyway. The justification that he is the Raikage and the man's time was a commodity that was rare. But even with these justifications the boy started to become irritated and antsy. He had never really had to physically do nothing while he waited, he had always had a task to complete.

Well I did want to become the book keeper.

The boy sighed and continued on waiting.  

After what seemed like an eternity he heard something from the other room. Akihiko's spirits rose and he quickly got himself in order ready to receive the Raikage.  

"Tell the committie that white and red is fine. I will finailize the details at the end of the day, personally. Thank you, Aoi.

The man walked out and greeted akihiko, and it was then that Akihiko remembered shin. Back when he had began he had been taught his first tentative lessons by this man. Such a lifetime ago if he had risen and become raikage.  

"I apologize for the late I was finishing some work for the coming festival. I am the Raikage Hayata Shin. How can I be of service to you, Akihiko."

Akihiko shook the man's hand returning the smile.

Hello, Raikage-sama. It is truely an honor to meet you. </B><i></i>

Akihiko reached into his bag and picked out his planner where he had taken some notes.

I am here on the libraries behalf. I recently accepted a position there. Just a helper, Keeping records. I noted some deficiencies, especially on the parts that pertain to the Kage's histories. I was wondering if you could give me some direction as to how I could handle this situation.<i></i>
Hayata Shin said:
"It is always a pleasure to meet my students again." Shin said as he shook the young boy's hand.

Akihiko reached into his bag and picked out his planner where he had taken some notes.

I am here on the libraries behalf. I recently accepted a position there. Just a helper, Keeping records. I noted some deficiencies, especially on the parts that pertain to the Kage's histories. I was wondering if you could give me some direction as to how I could handle this situation.  

"Interesting." Shin said as he folded his hands. "When I was sennin I was working on collaborating history reports on our past raikage. Perhaps you could continue my work, but I am guessing you have more ideas in mind. Come to my office and we can talk more about it." Shin said as he motioned himself to the door.

They reached the door quickly passing through his staff and a door revealing a set of stairs. The stairs felt endless as if the surrounding were encapsulated by an empty void. There was very little light besides the small light that peered from top of the stairs. It took them nearly three minutes before reaching the the top of the stairs which revealed the door. The revealed room that looked not much different than the office he had back in the academy. There was the same metal desk and the comfortable chairs laid out in the center of the office. The only thing different was he had a more spacious room to place his boiling pots of tea and his assorted books.

"Please have a seat. If your hungry I have loaf warm bread and some tea. In regards to your question, I would suggest you start off at the library and then try to find anyone who was closely affiliated with each kage. They could be friends, acquaintances, etc. You may have to leave the village if you can't find any information here.  I would start from the recent kage to the oldest kage. You could start with me and  I will do my best to answer as much of your questions." Shin said as he took his seat.
Nakamura Akihiko said:
"Interesting." Shin replied. He interlaced his fingers as he folded his hands. A clear sign of genuine interest, which was good. Often people in high positions wouldn't take much note of a lowly genin especially if that person was the Kage of the village.  

"When I was sennin I was working on collaborating history reports on our past raikage. Perhaps you could continue my work, but I am guessing you have more ideas in mind. Come to my office and we can talk more about it."

Akihiko nodded exited, the cooperation of the kage would most definitely make his transition into the library more efficient. Not to mention the fact that he was occupying a seat once held by the kage, this garner of favor would allow him more say in the organization of the library. Maybe even the attainment of the head librarian. The boy was antsy  with excitement as he followed the Kage into his personal office. To think that as a Genin he would be able to visit the kage's office on official business. If only his father could see him now.   Akihiko followed Shin through a hall way and past a door that led to a set of stairs. Which were located in a dark cylindrical room. Dimly lit by a small source of light. Akihiko marveled at this new experience his wide eyed gaze somewhat obscured by the semi lit room. It took a while to traverse the stair case but eventually they arrived at the office. It was humble in it's simplicity. Nothing grand just a simple metalic desk, book shelves along with multiple pots of what looked like tea. Akihiko took all of this in, noting that shin seemed to not be of the aggressive type. He was a reader, intellectual, simple most likely from a humble background.  

Not too unlike myself.

Akihiko smiled abit at the thought.  

Who know's maybe someday I will be Raikage.

He dismissed it as fanciful thinking and took his seat behind the table.  

"Please have a seat. If your hungry I have loaf warm bread and some tea. In regards to your question, I would suggest you start off at the library and then try to find anyone who was closely affiliated with each kage. They could be friends, acquaintances, etc. You may have to leave the village if you can't find any information here.  I would start from the recent kage to the oldest kage. You could start with me and  I will do my best to answer as much of your questions."

Akihiko shook his head. He was too riled up to eat anything at the moment.

Okay, so why don't we just jump into it then. We can begin with you background history. Family, place where you grew up, why you became a shinobi, also how. </COLOR><i></i>

Akihiko before shin began to speak flew through some seals and tapped the ground creating a gravitational distortion around his notebook and pen. He then with a small amount of chakra linked the pen up with the area of his brain that controlled his right hand. He felt his arm got numb as the link was now being used to control the pen. From there whatever the Kage said would immediately be transcribed on the paper without Akihiko have to pause to write it down. More notes could be taken this was and it was far more efficient.  

He then looked to Shin and waited for the man to begin to speak.  
Hayata Shin said:
It was unfortunate that Shin could let Akihiko experience his past, because, for some reason, Shin was incapable of performing Hatsugen Hisutori.  Perhaps, the stress of being raikage will the sudden change of events had diminished his mind. Regardless of the reasoning, Shin could still aid Akihiko. His past never really left him.

"My great-grandfather from my father's side was a missing nin who fought in the waterfall wars and the first few who inhabited kumogakure when it was founded. From what my father told me he was a man of determination believing duty was more important than anything else. I suppose my father took those words to heart. My father's name was Hayata Takama, a medical nin. He was more of a scientist than a shinobi but was clearly capable of fighting on his own. Unfortunately, none of his comrades felt the same. Everyone thought he was loony researcher with crackpot ideas." Shin said pausing for a bit.

"Once he earned the rank of medical chief, he decided to leave he village for an expended period of time to continue his research. This was time in which he met my mother in  in Konhagakure. Before my parents got married, my mother's name was Mishima Misa. She was part of a royal Uchiha family called the Mishima Clan. When she met my father she was second to the head of the family; My mother's family are very arrogant and prideful believing that the Uchiha were the superior bloodline. Fortunately, my mother was never liked that, in fact, she was the very opposite of what an Uchiha should be. The only reason why she was so high in rank was due to her incredible chakra control. She was an amazing fighter second only to my grandfather who was the head at the time". Shin paused once more giving Akihio the chance to write Shin's words down.

"At the time, my father was interested in my mother because she was interesting in an objective way. Unfortunately, outsiders were never really allowed into the compound. I am not sure if that rule still applies now. Eitherway, my mother's family humored him by permitted him to enter if only he was able to defeat my mother in a match. Of course, he was able to defeat her but only because he did extensive research on the Uchiha background. He had to figure out how Mishima's battle mechanics but as an opportunistic fighter it was something he was capable of doing."

"My grandfather was quite impressive believing my father to fight just like a Mishimia. My father stayed in the compound for several months and in time, my parents fell in love. Ironically, it was the first time my father was capable of falling in love considering his stiff and objective mind. Human emotion was something he believed as a nuisance. My father decided to marry my mother and my grandfather did not refuse, except the rest of the family. They all felt that my father would taint their bloodline despite his capabilities. My parents returned to Kumogakure where they had a family. I was their only child. My mother joined the ANBU corp and my father remained as a chief medical nin." Shin stopped.

"So what are your thoughts at this point." Shin inquired.
Nakamura Akihiko said:
The pen and paper floated there to Akihiko's right. The pen scribbling away furiously at the words shin said. Akihiko was interested, even more so now that he discovered that Shin shared an old Uchiha bloodline. Back when the clan was powerful and the blood ran pure. Or so the texts stated. It was with these Uchiha that the more powerful traits associated with the Uchiha name existed. The mangakyou sharingan, along with the secret's it held. It was through those secrets that would lead back to the originator of it all. The beggining of all the doujutsu the Rinnegnan. And the sage of the six paths along with one of the most powerful chakras that Akihiko knew of.  

It boggled the mind really. But Akihiko needed to complete his job first. He was the book keeper now.  Shin came to a pause in his story and asked Akihiko of his opinion.  

Interesting, is your mother's clan still active and together or have they disbanded? Also I know this may be a bit personal but my curiosity causes me to ask. You too have the sharingan. Have you noted any changes in it, has it evolved?<i></i>

Akihiko sat back and watched.  
Hayata Shin said:
Shin took a deep breath. His mother's clan was still active and it still burned him so that they were not here during her struggling years. They only sent a letter, if not much of any condolence, to Shin when he arrived back from his travels and found out that his mother died. He sat back looking up at the ceiling for a bit before revisiting Akihiko's question.

"Yes, from what I know, my mother's clan is still active. It pains me that they knew about my mother's illness and did nothing just because she married my father. My mother was poisoned  by an unknown drug  during her prime days as ANBU captain and at the time it was very difficult to quickly minister an antidote without any knowledge of the drug. My father toiled night and day to save her. The village did not help because they never really liked my father. Sometimes they felt that it was his fault. Could you imagine how a young boy would feel at the time? Stress and the failure to save his wife caused him to die of a young age and I was left alone with my bed-ridden mother. If it was not for my mother I would have ran away from the village. I sworn that I would avenge my family for what the village had done to me and my parents. My mother was the one who taught me about loving and forgiving those who hurt you. I never really understood that until I became Chunnin. She died when I became Sennin." Shin pausing once more.

He did missed his mother. There was not one moment that he never thought of her. Everyday at the crack of dawn he would visit her grave down at the cemetery speaking to her as if she was right next to him.

"About the sharingan, not all people who have Uchiha blood exhibit the power of the sharingan, it was only due to my mother chakra abilities that I naturally possessed the secret doujutsu. My sharigan has not changed as much but at times I still active it during times of great stress. Due to my mother's chakra control abilities I am able to sustain and perfect its use much quickly than most Uchiha." Shin said as he got up and walked toward his bookshelves.

"You experienced it first hand in one my lessons. I am sure you remember. Most Uchiha require their eyes to cast a jutsu but I am able to perform it with any medium like this notebook for instance." Shin said as he pulled out a black leather notebook. "It is blank to the naked eye but it contains chakra seals that hold very advanced bloodline techniques." Shin said as he placed the book next to Akihiko's side. "The book is completely useless unless you are me or someone who has the chaka coils as me. It helps me from putting too much strain on my eye."
Nakamura Akihiko said:
"Yes, from what I know, my mother's clan is still active. It pains me that they knew about my mother's illness and did nothing just because she married my father. My mother was poisoned  by an unknown drug  during her prime days as ANBU captain and at the time it was very difficult to quickly minister an antidote without any knowledge of the drug. My father toiled night and day to save her. The village did not help because they never really liked my father. Sometimes they felt that it was his fault. Could you imagine how a young boy would feel at the time? Stress and the failure to save his wife caused him to die of a young age and I was left alone with my bed-ridden mother. If it was not for my mother I would have ran away from the village. I sworn that I would avenge my family for what the village had done to me and my parents. My mother was the one who taught me about loving and forgiving those who hurt you. I never really understood that until I became Chunnin. She died when I became Sennin."

Akihiko nodded the pen and note book still scribbling away near his right shoulder.  Shin paused to allow time for Akihiko to catch up but by the time the pause came the pen had stopped moving.

That is truly tragic and I am sorry for your loss. Was there any investigation as to who could have possibly poisoned your mother. Surely even if she married out of the Clan she still had some benefits being the family head's daughter and all. Not to mention  that this was premeditated murder. Did you ever suspect that it was one of the clan who poisoned your mother? <i></i> Akihiko paused before another question popped into his head.

<COLOR color="grey"> And what about you, as her child aren't you an heir to the family line as well. I can understand the animosity that the clan may share with you but do you visit the estate at all? Who runs the clan now?  

"About the sharingan, not all people who have Uchiha blood exhibit the power of the sharingan, it was only due to my mother chakra abilities that I naturally possessed the secret doujutsu. My sharigan has not changed as much but at times I still active it during times of great stress. Due to my mother's chakra control abilities I am able to sustain and perfect its use much quickly than most Uchiha."  Shin said as he proceeded to get up and move to the book shelf.

Akihiko nodded pondering the information. Chakra control was key in the development of the Sharingan doujutsu. An interesting implication.  He turned and watched shin as the Raikage removed a book from the shelf.  

]You experienced it first hand in one my lessons. I am sure you remember. Most Uchiha require their eyes to cast a jutsu but I am able to perform it with any medium like this notebook for instance."

Akihiko nodded as the memory came to him. It had been a fairly vivid hallucination expertly cast, and without the use of hand-seals. A truly fear some technique. Shin then grabbed one of his notebooks and showed it to Akihiko.    

It is blank to the naked eye but it contains chakra seals that hold very advanced bloodline techniques."

Akihiko peered at the book with curiosity. He was well aware of chakra seals he used them on his own. But his were fairly simple. From what Shin - sama had said it seemed that there was a way to inscribe more complex seals with complex jutsu. The implications of such a skill especially as a precautionary step was boggling.

The book is completely useless unless you are me or someone who has the chaka coils as me. It helps me from putting too much strain on my eye."

You will have to show me how to inscribe complex jutsu like that sometime. Akihiko said as he looked at the book with a new found wonder.

After a few moments Akihiko returned to the task at hand.

<B> What happened during your years after your mother's death. Could you elaborate more on that?<i></i>

Santaru Rin

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Hayata Shin said:
"Investigation." Shin thought. "Hardly, the village did some investigation but it was done very shabbily. It might have been because she was a foreigner or there simply weren't many resources back in the day. Regardless, my mother was cheated on the justice that she had deserved. I know for certain that it was not my mother's family. Even though she was disown it is not in their code to kill one of their own." Shin said rubbing his chin. He knew for certain that the Mishimia clan was too proud to kill on of their own. He knew that her family still loved her but they still barred a sense of hatred for what she had done. All of it was still ridiculous to Shin.

I am not sure who runs the clan now but I did not have time to go their when I was at Konoha, but perhaps it was simply because I did not have enough resolve to go. I was given a letter from a courier addressed to me when I returned to Kumo. Apparently, the clan was aware of my mother's sudden death and to this day I still don't know how." Shin said still thinking about what he should have done. Maybe it was time to see the compound but being the raikage might not allow him to.

"And what about you, as her child aren't you an heir to the family line as well. I can understand the animosity that the clan may share with you but do you visit the estate at all? Who runs the clan now?" Akihiko's continued as his eyes focused on his parchment.

"That is possible but it has been several years since my mother has died. I am sure they might have nominated an alternative. My mother did have many brothers and sisters which I have yet to meet." He said.

Akihiko glanced at the book for a moment taking a look at the contents before speaking again.

"You will have to show me how to inscribe complex jutsu like that sometime." Akihiko said as he looked at the book with a new found wonder.

"Yes, another time. You should take the liberty and take some advanced chakra control classes to learn the basics. It will make it easier when I get to tutor you." Shin replied.

After a few moments Akihiko returned to the task at hand.

What happened during your years after your mother's death. Could you elaborate more on that?

"After my mother died, I went into a short depression. Even though I was nominated as Sennin I was not really myself. The stress nearly got to me. When I get stressed out I tend to stay in the library reading for hours at a time instead of socializing. I was fortunate that I have some old friends to console with at the time, especially my old friend Akira Saito. I am not sure if you have met him before. As a child when I was getting into trouble with the authorities he was the one to back me up or prevent me from doing something hasty." Shin said reminiscing on his past again.

"There was a time in which I took a lesson out in public late at night which result in property damage. I accidentally destroyed a small cafe near the district area. I was a chunnin at the time and Saito was an ANBU in Training, I believe. I was sent to a penitentiary for a while until I was released. Saito was able to convince the ANBU to let me out early." Shin continued.

"Anyway, during my tenure as Sennin, I was formulated plans to establish a better way to promote peace and stability within the four nations. I wanted to use the village Amegakure as the foundation. I was the one responsible for helping build the village with its resources as well as being allies with their militia. I decided to go to Sungakure and Amegakure to start my plans. However, as you are aware it did not go as plan. What have you been told about my affairs in Sungakure?" Shin asked.
Nakamura Akihiko said:
"Hardly, the village did some investigation but it was done very shabbily. It might have been because she was a foreigner or there simply weren't many resources back in the day. Regardless, my mother was cheated on the justice that she had deserved. I know for certain that it was not my mother's family. Even though she was disown it is not in their code to kill one of their own."  

Akihiko nodded but even if they didn't kill her for what she had done, it seemed like they didn't do much to avenge her death. Which was somewhat contradictory to their pride. As Uchiha wouldn't they want to send a message to anyone who attacked them. To show that the Uchiha wouldn't tolerate any attack on them even if it was an ostracized member.  And her father if he really did love her, wouldn't he have spared not expense to at least avenge her death. Akihiko put the uneasy thoughts aside, politics were for the people who wanted to waste their mental capacities.  

No one avenged her death. Surely a proud clan like that wouldn't let such a slight go unpunished.

Akihiko probed. There was an inconsistency there and he couldn't help himself.  But he left it at that.    

I am not sure who runs the clan now but I did not have time to go their when I was at Konoha, but perhaps it was simply because I did not have enough resolve to go. I was given a letter from a courier addressed to me when I returned to Kumo. Apparently, the clan was aware of my mother's sudden death and to this day I still don't know how."

Akihiko nodded, the Raikage had a village to run. The young nakamura was sure that family devotions unless they were within the village often fell to the way side. However even if Shin couldn't go personally he could potentially send a vassal and if Akihiko could somehow accompany that vassal or be the vassal himself it would allow him to observe the Uchihan life up close. Old holds like the one shin was from were rare. And even if he couldn't see the sacred texts, he doubted he would be able to read them even if he did. The had to be a library and in that library maybe there lied a clue.  But the last sentence Akihiko heard from the Raikage discontented him alittle more. The clan knew somehow, meaning that they had been keeping tabs on her. So could they have found her killer and taken care of him. That would make sense.

Maybe they found her killer. And took care of him or her.                                                      

"That is possible but it has been several years since my mother has died. I am sure they might have nominated an alternative. My mother did have many brothers and sisters which I have yet to meet."  

You should go back at some point, see who is the leader. They may be more amiable than their predecessor. You may find closure and clear some skeletons so to speak.  It would close this discontenting chapter in your life. And it would look good on record. The boy never liked open problems, or unanswered questions.

"Yes, another time. You should take the liberty and take some advanced chakra control classes to learn the basics. It will make it easier when I get to tutor you."

Akihiko smiled.

I have read every text pertaining to chakra manipulation in this village. Though I cannot perform some of the techniques I am still practicing a lot of them. I will definitely take you up on that offer. There is a particular jutsu I need to master before long. The boy wasn't sure if any more information was necessarily. He wasn't sure Shin would have approved if he knew that AKihiko planned for the future. But the fact still stood that the young Nakamura would need some help when it came to do  the ritual. But that was months maybe even years down the line. he was sure that by then he would have gained the experience required to do the ritual by himself. But it still wouldn't hurt to learn from the Raikage after all knowledge could only help him at this point.  

"After my mother died, I went into a short depression. Even though I was nominated as Sennin I was not really myself. The stress nearly got to me. When I get stressed out I tend to stay in the library reading for hours at a time instead of socializing. I was fortunate that I have some old friends to console with at the time, especially my old friend Akira Saito. I am not sure if you have met him before. As a child when I was getting into trouble with the authorities he was the one to back me up or prevent me from doing something hasty."

"There was a time in which I took a lesson out in public late at night which result in property damage. I accidentally destroyed a small cafe near the district area. I was a chunnin at the time and Saito was an ANBU in Training, I believe. I was sent to a penitentiary for a while until I was released. Saito was able to convince the ANBU to let me out early." Shin continued.

"Anyway, during my tenure as Sennin, I was formulated plans to establish a better way to promote peace and stability within the four nations. I wanted to use the village Amegakure as the foundation. I was the one responsible for helping build the village with its resources as well as being allies with their militia. I decided to go to Sungakure and Amegakure to start my plans. However, as you are aware it did not go as plan. What have you been told about my affairs in Sungakure?"

Akihiko nodded as he remembered some of the controversy surrounding the Kazakage entering the village illegally. The boy had been fairly new at the time and he wasn't sure about what had been going on.

I remember something of an incident at the Gates with the Kazakage but that is about it. Wasn't really into the village at the time. What was going on.
Hayata Shin said:
"Maybe they found her killer. And took care of him or her." Akihiko stated as those words echoed in Shin's mind. It was a plausible possibility given the lack of any evidence of where this killer was or whether he even existed in Kumogakure. He was not sure if he should pursue the man that was responsible for his mother's death but as a shinobi he knew that his mother knew the risk of joining the ANBU corp. There was nothing that he or his mother could have done to prevent this. It was just very strange that his exceptionally skilled mother could be caught in such a trap.

"I have read every text pertaining to chakra manipulation in this village. Though I cannot perform some of the techniques I am still practicing a lot of them. I will definitely take you up on that offer. There is a particular jutsu I need to master before long." Akihiko continued.

"What jutus would that be?" Shin said curiously; however retracted his mind back to the initial question at hand: what had happened in Sunagakure.

"When I went to Wind Country I was a few people, a chunnin and a few ANBU. We were introduced to a man named Kodama at the gates. I believe he was a Jounin at time I am not sure what his rank is now. Initially, he was skeptical of my presence which I found rather odd considering Sunagakure had a well formed alliance with Kumogakure. Eventually, we were allowed in and he directed me to the Sennins, unfortunately their names escape me at the moment. One of them was the ANBU Sennin which I directed the ANBU that came with me to follow. It was there where I was able to retrieve Sunagakure's current ANBU Bingo Book. I and a fellow ANBU remained with the other Sennin to discuss possible proposals for a renewed alliance." Shin said pausing.

"However, he had stated to me that he did not have the authority to establish such a treaty. At the time, there was a Kage Summit being held someone near fire country. With that in mind, I felt it odd that his kazekage was not permitting any of his sennin to represent him while he was gone. Surprising I was notified that the kazekage was still in the village and I should be forward to him to speak with him. Of course, I agreed and my team and I were given small accommodations so we can rest before we can meet with the kazekage. A few weeks later I was given a letter from a courier stating that the kazekage had accepted my request to see him. The rest of my team was on private missions where I and a fellow ANBU disembarked to see the kazekage. We were given directions to meet him at a disclosed area far from the residential sector."  Shin said pausing once more.

"When we arrived there was no one there and we waited for several minutes until we were met by a small boy, apparently a guard for the kazekage, sounded unbeknown about our meeting with the kazekage. Ever since I enter the village I felt that something was not right. What do you think?"
Nakamura Akihiko said:
"What jutus would that be?" Shin asked.

Akihiko paused, he hadn't really expected the man to inquire that deeply. But it would be too premature to tell him of his quest to recreate the Rikido senin's chakra and abilities. Something simple to placate the man would most likely suffice.

Just obtaining more affinities. I want to see if I can't go beyond the usual norm for affinity manipulation. I have managed to learn how to cast multiple jutsu simultaneously, using both hands to cast different jutsu. But manipulating multiple affinities in both hands is difficult to say the least.

The conversation then moved on back to the occurences that pertained to Sunakagure.  

"When I went to Wind Country I was a few people, a chunnin and a few ANBU. We were introduced to a man named Kodama at the gates. I believe he was a Jounin at time I am not sure what his rank is now. Initially, he was skeptical of my presence which I found rather odd considering Sunagakure had a well formed alliance with Kumogakure. Eventually, we were allowed in and he directed me to the Sennins, unfortunately their names escape me at the moment. One of them was the ANBU Sennin which I directed the ANBU that came with me to follow. It was there where I was able to retrieve Sunagakure's current ANBU Bingo Book. I and a fellow ANBU remained with the other Sennin to discuss possible proposals for a renewed alliance.

"However, he had stated to me that he did not have the authority to establish such a treaty. At the time, there was a Kage Summit being held someone near fire country. With that in mind, I felt it odd that his kazekage was not permitting any of his sennin to represent him while he was gone. Surprising I was notified that the kazekage was still in the village and I should be forward to him to speak with him. Of course, I agreed and my team and I were given small accommodations so we can rest before we can meet with the kazekage. A few weeks later I was given a letter from a courier stating that the kazekage had accepted my request to see him. The rest of my team was on private missions where I and a fellow ANBU disembarked to see the kazekage. We were given directions to meet him at a disclosed area far from the residential sector.

"When we arrived there was no one there and we waited for several minutes until we were met by a small boy, apparently a guard for the kazekage, sounded unbeknown about our meeting with the kazekage. Ever since I enter the village I felt that something was not right. What do you think?"

Certainly odd, for sure maybe they were plotting against Kumokagure and weren't sure what to do with you. An attack might have started a war prematurely so they had to placate you or confuse you until they were ready. Akihiko shrugged indicating that it was a guess at best.  

What happened next?</B><i></i>
Hayata Shin said:
"Perhaps, but I had a deep convicition that their village was divided. It was as if some of the superiors residing in the village was not aware of what was going on. Or at least they plead ignorant the entire time." Shin said as he resumed his story.

"Going back to what had happened, I exhorted him to retrieve the kazkeage for me and he grudgingly accepted him. He radioed him and we waited. During the time, my comrade was a bit under the weather and I exonerated his duty and suggested that he take a break. The guard explained that he knew a place where he could check a clinic or find some herbal medicine to relieve him. My comrade agree and he left. After that it took a couple of minutes until I was formally introduced to the kazekage. He seemed rather 'off' I would say considering the man was breathing rather erratically as if he was in a battle or performing some strenuous activity. Regardless, I shook the thought out of my head and began to speak for coming to the village." Shin said rubbing his head.

"The entire contents of the conversation is a blur to me. I can only put together pieces of what I said. I remember stating that I wanted to issue of possible leader corruption. Any leader can bring their village astray and if it comes to a time when such a leader had too much control, a third party should intervene. Naturally, I suggested proposing a united nations group that would be a medium if such an issue did arise. Unfortunately, the kazekage did not approve or rather detested the entirely of my idea. He did not even say that he did not like it he simply attacked me. My comrade returned shortly before the kazekage and his guard assaulted me." Shin paused.

"I did not plan to harm the kazekage despite him endangering myself and the rest of the comrade. I knew that if I had defeated the kazekage the entire village would be after me and my comrades. As a result, I allowed myself to be defeated. I am just fortunate that I was not killed." Shin said as he crossed his arms. "Tell me, Akihiko-san, would you tackled the situation in a different way?" Shin asked.
Nakamura Akihiko said:
"Perhaps, but I had a deep convicition that their village was divided. It was as if some of the superiors residing in the village was not aware of what was going on. Or at least they plead ignorant the entire time   Going back to what had happened, I exhorted him to retrieve the kazkeage for me and he grudgingly accepted him. He radioed him and we waited. During the time, my comrade was a bit under the weather and I exonerated his duty and suggested that he take a break. The guard explained that he knew a place where he could check a clinic or find some herbal medicine to relieve him. My comrade agree and he left. After that it took a couple of minutes until I was formally introduced to the kazekage. He seemed rather 'off' I would say considering the man was breathing rather erratically as if he was in a battle or performing some strenuous activity. Regardless, I shook the thought out of my head and began to speak for coming to the village."

"The entire contents of the conversation is a blur to me. I can only put together pieces of what I said. I remember stating that I wanted to issue of possible leader corruption. Any leader can bring their village astray and if it comes to a time when such a leader had too much control, a third party should intervene. Naturally, I suggested proposing a united nations group that would be a medium if such an issue did arise. Unfortunately, the kazekage did not approve or rather detested the entirely of my idea. He did not even say that he did not like it he simply attacked me. My comrade returned shortly before the kazekage and his guard assaulted me.

"I did not plan to harm the kazekage despite him endangering myself and the rest of the comrade. I knew that if I had defeated the kazekage the entire village would be after me and my comrades. As a result, I allowed myself to be defeated. I am just fortunate that I was not killed.  Tell me, Akihiko-san, would you tackled the situation in a different way?"

Akihiko took in what shin had said and placed himself in a similar situation.  He placed his brain to work.  

You placed yourself in a difficult position, though at the time you couldn't have possibly forseen the events that took place. No, the Kazekage was erratic at best and I am sure you had suspicions about that when he wasn't readily available to speak with you. Most likely you should have left then under the pretence that Sunakagure had committed an  offense to you. Because then you could have left without looking at all weak. For what leader with millitary power can be refused an audience by another leader and not take offence to that. Especially if they are of equal standing. If they attacked you then they would have seemed to be the agressors and had you allowed your self to fall into their hands the blame would have been on them at this point. They couldn't hold you leat the risk retalliation from the village and you could have come back and allied with the other villages. For if the Kazekage could have done that to you. Who else would he do that to leaf, ash, snow, rain, who else would he disrespect next. With the other villages on your side you would have brought Suna to heel and the kazekage down a few notches. However your continued stay after the the blatant refusal of the Kazekage place you in a vulnerable position.

He paused before continuing.

And he probably understood that, so he met with you and could now attack you without repercussion. You were in his village after all,  If you now went to the other villages they would ask you why you stayed when he disrespected you like he did. You could say that you wanted peace but that would have made you look even weaker. We are shinobi, our lively hoods are drenched in blood and violence. Power and respect are key to our strength. Why pine and take disrespect lying down, in the name of an alliance.  Pinned you couldn't fight him head on without losing you subordinates so you had to be captured. But by then the damage had been done. To add further insult the Kazakage came and embarrassed us here in our own village by easily taking our gates and running wanton though our streets. He wanted to ensure that we would get no aid nor sympathy from the other villages because we let it happen. And there is no respect in that. <i></i>  

Akihiko said finishing.

I am making alot of assumptions there so most likely I don't have the entire picture. I am guessing mostly, but that is my impression. As for a course of action we must find a way to bring the kazekage to heel. But in doing so we would risk war. Or we can sit and wait. See what happens next.<i></i>  

Anyway, is there anything else about your self you would like to place in you catalog?
Hayata Shin said:
The young lad was right. Curiously, you would think chidren would lack wisdom but gone were those days. Either way, Shin should have left the village when he had the chance instead lingering around and due to his constance persistence it cost him greatly. The only thing good that came out of it was his awareness of what Sungakure were actually capable of.

"Personally, I did have an interest and attraction with one kunochi during my tenure as sensei at the academy. Her name was  Tetsuya Miu, a special jounin at the time. Unfortunately, the relationship did not last very long, especially when she was promoted to Sennin. I was too busy working on diplomatic missions. Having a relationship as a shinobi is very difficult to maintain, I would suggest anyone to try to avoid it until they retire. I believe that is it for now until I remember something important to tell you." Shin said.

"So who will you speak to next, Akihiko." Shin asked.
Nakamura Akihiko said:
"Personally, I did have an interest and attraction with one kunochi during my tenure as sensei at the academy. Her name was  Tetsuya Miu, a special jounin at the time. Unfortunately, the relationship did not last very long, especially when she was promoted to Sennin. I was too busy working on diplomatic missions. Having a relationship as a shinobi is very difficult to maintain, I would suggest anyone to try to avoid it until they retire. I believe that is it for now until I remember something important to tell you."

Akihiko nodded and with a seal performed with his left hand the gravity around his book faded. The book slowly floated down to his lap and he regained control of his right arm. Stretching it he tried to regain the feeling back.  

Thank you for your time.<i></i> Akihiko said getting up. He looked at the clock and noted that a large amount of time had passed since he had arrived.  

"So who will you speak to next, Akihiko." The raikage asked.

I was thinking your sennin that is if I could find them. Then maybe some more people who know you personally. Give me an accurate portrayal of your demeanor. Do you have anyone in mind?"<i></i>  

Akihiko waited for the raikage to answer.
Hayata Shin said:
Shin rose from his seat as he walked by a small table where several boiling pots stood erected with array of cups at the side. He began to pour dark green liquid from one of the pots into an empty cup and brought it back to his desk.

"Unfortunately, the current sennin are rather young and do not know my past very well. There are a few people that you can try to find that may give you more knowledge about me." Shin said pausing as he took a sip of out of his cup. "One of them is Akira Saito. He is a council member and a veteran sennin for the ANBU branch. The man has known me ever since my academy days. Another person is Daisuke, a medical nin who I have been good friends with when I was a young chunnin. A few others are no longer shinobi but may still reside in lightning country: Takaki Masao and Santaru Rin. If I can think of any more I will let you know." Shin said.
Nakamura Akihiko said:
Akihiko nodded taking the Raikage's input to heart.  

<B> I will find them and interview them. Thank you for your time Raikage - sama. <i></i>

He said before walking out of the office. He had a lot of work to do.
Hayata Shin said:
Shin nodded his head as he waved good bye. It was nice to digress about one's past especially if it was something who knew nothing about. He sat back in his desk thinking about his mother and her clan. Should he go back to see them? A question that Shin would have to scrutinize for quite some time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Current Ninpocho Chronicles Time:

Back