Ninpocho Chronicles

Ninpocho Chronicles is a fantasy-ish setting storyline, set in an alternate universe World of Ninjas, where the Naruto and Boruto series take place. This means that none of the canon characters exists, or existed here.

Each ninja starts from the bottom and start their training as an Academy Student. From there they develop abilities akin to that of demigods as they grow in age and experience.

Along the way they gain new friends (or enemies), take on jobs and complete contracts and missions for their respective villages where their training and skill will be tested to their limits.

The sky is the limit as the blank page you see before you can be filled with countless of adventures with your character in the game.

This is Ninpocho Chronicles.

Current Ninpocho Chronicles Time:

Hey There Daemons [Tutor]

Saitou Rei

Yen
ASP
Deaths
OOC Rank
S
k5Swwhb.jpg
[lb2][/lb2]
Evening was approaching, though the clouds that had hung overhead all day would obscure that fact. Once again, Maik had been gone before Reicheru had arisen that morning, the restless nights beginning to take their toll. One of the nice things about the stage of life they found themselves in for the moment was the flexibility of the jobs they were being assigned; so long as the academy was clean or the pets of village leader's in-laws were fed, there wasn't the nagging worry or constant check-list running in the back of one's mind as there was with a higher, more trusted position.

Still, Rei knew she would soon need to get this… whatever she was feeling, in check. Which was why, between 'missions' and study sessions at the library, she would come to the gardens. Though she rather enjoyed the reprieve the northern greenhouse offered from the wind and cold, today Rei found herself under the central snow-laden gazebo, seemingly another endurance test for her still unacclimated body. Sitting cross-legged on the wooden floor of the structure, the Nanjirou's weapon was set in front of her as she meditated, and waited.

At Daenerisu's apartment, she would find a note from her cousin on the fridge.

Should really up the security around here. Meet me at the Nimbus, east of the greenhouse, whenever you get this.
-Rei

Taking a deep breath in through her nose and slowly releasing it through barely parted lips, the Nanjirou recalled the events of that night. The glow in their eyes, the strange chakra auras, the raw tension in the air. Latching on to the chakra that flowed through the weapon in front of her in her mind's eye, Reicheru continued searching and reaching out, mentally pushing on every door and praying one would open before her cousin arrived.

[Private Tutor for Daenerisu]
[WC: 304 / 1500]
[Post 1 / 5]

Santaru Kaede

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Danii shook the snow off her jacket and stepped into her apartment. She hung the harness with her sword and the red jacket she had been wearing on a hook by the door and walked towards the fridge. Her boots were left in a pile by the door and her gloves were carelessly tossed on the table as she walked by. She grabbed a cup and poured a glass of juice. It was only as she put the juice away that she saw the piece of paper hanging off the fridge. Snatching the paper off her fridge, she began to read it as she sipped on her juice. She let out a sigh and grabbed a pen. She jotted something down on the note and hung it back on her fridge.

Really? What are they going to take?

The young girl chugs the rest of her drink while trying her best to not spill any on her white shirt and then quickly throws her gloves, boots, and jacket back on. She quickly looked over the detail of the sword and it's hilt. She had spent most of the day in the library. She wasn't sure what she would find there, but she had no clue where else to look. She really wished she could talk to her grandfather about what happened to her on the journey here, but he was still back in Konoha and she didn't seem capable of putting it into words when she sat down to right him a letter. She shook it off the feeling and put on the harness. Her hand lingered over the hilt hanging over her shoulder and then she walked out closing the door behind her. And once again the bare apartment was empty again.

Danii easily spotted Rei in the garden because she seemed to be the only one crazy enough to be taking advantage of the outdoor portion of the garden. The young, and cold, Nanjirou pulled her red coat tight around her as she walked over to the gazebo. Once she was under the roof and at least a little sheltered from the elements, she spoke up.

“Hey Rei, what's up? Why are you put here in the cold like this? Are you trying to get sick?”

[WC: 378]
[Post 1 of 5]

Saitou Rei

Yen
ASP
Deaths
OOC Rank
S
It had been blatantly apparent for some time now that she hadn't been getting the most out of her fighting style. Though these thoughts had been first roused by the ambush in the Ishi clan dojo, the answer "those were experienced shinobi" was simply not sufficient. Her inadequacy had been covered over by her ability to synchronize with her teammates, but on her own things had been falling flat since long before that incident. Though she hadn't wanted to admit it, she knew it was because of the mental-spiritual block that was creating the physical dissonance. Of course, rather than face the root of the problem, the young tinkerer had opted to do what came naturally and began rooting around in the mechanics hidden within the hilt of the blade. No longer retractable, the Nanjirou had returned to a more traditional iaijutsu style in order to expand her repertoire by installing a variety of traps into the compartment. Still, it wasn't enough.

"Some people think meditation is about emptying yourself," the voice of a kindly older gentleman had rung in her mind recently during a time of mediation, now a regular practice for the young girl, "but that just leaves you open to the darkness that seeks to infiltrate the living world. Meditation is about filling yourself, focusing on things above, the goodness of Kami." It was then that it had become apparent to her. It wasn't enough to simple be aware of her great-grandfather's chakra, but she had to quite literally fill herself with it, or "harmonize" with it as they had said at the academy when discussing how to harness elemental abilities.

When she finally managed to make contact the first time, she expected some sort of relief and the lifting of a great weight off her shoulders. Instead, she could see a violet-hued chakra just in front of her, but just out of reach as she felt her spiritual self restricted with heavy chains. "You've got to deal with them first, little one."</I><I> "Deal with what?" Rei's quiet voice followed. "Your illusions, set up by your grief, your shame, and your lies. Go find yourself, first."

Which brings us to today. She wondered if this journey she'd been embarking on these past few days would be something worthwhile bringing Danii into, if it would help as they tried to understand what it was that had happened that night. Though she couldn't say for sure without being able to speak directly with Hayate, she was almost certain from the way his chakra had responded in that moment that it had something to do with her cousin's own ancestral connection. Maybe this was something they needed to go through together.

"Maybe I am, you build up resistance that way y'know," Rei responded with a smile and closed eyes, turning her focus to the shape and color of Danii's chakra presence in the way it appeared in Reicheru's mind's eye in her meditative state, taking careful note of every aspect of it she could… just in case. Finally opening her eyes, she flashed a grin to hide the anxiety she felt about what she would be asking her kin to do here. "Why don't you join me?" she said, one hand motioning to the floor directly across from her. Sofu Ken remained on the ground between the two. "I've been doing a lot of thinking lately, about our bloodline. Made me realize I've never really asked about your personal experience, pairing with your blade and your particular heritage. When we'd talked with your grandfather it was usually more about the big picture, but if we want to work as a unit, we really should know the particulars, right? Do you mind telling me about it, about Kingslayer?" Hopefully it was a softball, but enough to get them started.

[Post 2 / 5]
[TWC: 942 / 1500]
[OOC: Couldn't remember if Danii refers to it as Kingslayer or not, feel free to substitute another name in there that Rei would know it by]

Santaru Kaede

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Danii stepped under the gazebo and shook the snow off of her. She was careful to not track too much into Rei's meditation space. She didn't notice Rei retreating into the view of her sixth sense. It was not something that she had been gifted with like her cousin and her eyes didn't see chakra like Maikeru. The Nanjirou girl would have just assumes that Rei was still working on her meditation. Rei on the other hand would notice a few things. The first would be a dark blue, almost purple, colored chakra aura surrounding Danii. The next would be the fiery red chakra seeming to emanate from the eyes and mouth carved into the hilt of her father's sword. The chakra spreads down the blade and disappears into the sheath, but part of it seems to swirl and mix where it collides with Danii's on chakra aura. The last, and most subtle, aura would be the light, light blue aura seeming to cause pulse from the crystal she wore on a small chain around her neck. It would be easy to miss among the darker chakra surrounding it if it didn't swirl in and flow out occasionally like the tide.

“Well, I actually don't know much about it myself. My grandfather told me it belonged to my father and often told me stories about him growing up, but he passed away shortly after I was born. The pairing sort of just came naturally. For as long as I can remember, this has been the only real sword for me. My grandfather even tried to get me to pair with his sword at one point. Said it would be better fit for me, but it felt wrong.”

Danii sits down crosslegged across fron Rei. She pulls the sword out of it's sheath and lays it across her lap.

“While this sword always spoke to me and felt right, I actually didn't know it had a name until our journey here. It was revealed to me one night after our little training mishap. I wish I could ask my grandfather about how it got such a name. It doesn't really fit the stories I was told about my father.”

Danii looks from her friend down to the sword and stares at it for a bit like she was looking for answers or maybe even trying to figure out the right questions she needs to ask.

“I know our weapons are supposed to carry the souls of our ancestors, but I don't even know anything about the soul or souls in mine. I'm guessing my grandfather had plans to tell me one day, but…”

[WC: 442]
[Total WC: 820]
[Post 2 of 5]

[MFT]

Saitou Rei

Yen
ASP
Deaths
OOC Rank
S
"Well, you're certainly not alone on that front, cousin." Nanjirou Akane had intended to better instruct her daughter in how to develop the bond with her weapon, having no way of knowing how soon and for how long she would end up being called away on a mission right after the pairing actually took place. Unwilling to go to her grandparents and unable to go to her mother, Rei had never known the full potential of her blade nor did she know much about the souls within it. "My mother had told me my great-grandfather had bound his spirit to this blade, and I'd sensed another chakra in it before, but in truth I'd never communicated with him before so I wasn't really sure he was still in there or if it was just the remnants of our ancestors ashes he'd used to forge it I was feeling. But after I started meditating, after we stayed with that one elderly guy outside of Ine-cho, I found that I could sense people's chakra - not the level that a true sensor or an Uchiha can, mind you, but enough to sense the general aura. I'm not sure where this comes from, but I know he's in there. I can see him, and I can see yours too - your ancestor, or ancestors… like I said, it's not all that clear to me."

Not wanting to say too much about the eerie feeling that the image gave her, fire-red chakra almost spilling out like smoke from the skull, Reicheru opted to invite Danii to make her own connections. "When I tried to communicate with Hayate the first time, he told me I had too many distractions. Our swords, though physical, are filled with Yin - the spiritual side of natural energy. To get in touch with them fully, there are certain things we have to reconcile within ourselves and let go of so that we can harmonize with this spiritual chakra. Does that make sense?" Truthfully this whole concept was one Reicheru was still wrestling with herself, and so though the teacher in her could usually explain or demonstrate a concept in a succinct way, she wouldn't be surprised if all she'd said sounded like religious ramblings.

"Maybe it's best you see it for yourself. You don't need to be able to see it, but try to focus on the energy in your blade. I'm sure you've felt it in a fight before - hold onto the memory of that feeling…" '…and fill yourself up with it.' Those would have been the next words out of her mouth if she hadn't seen what had happened after Maikeru's Tsukuyomi that day. Though she couldn't be sure of it, she feared that would happen again if she'd given that advice right now. So instead, Reicheru closed her eyes to focus in on the chakra signature of her cousin and her own blade and said, "…and tell me what you see, feel, or hear."

[Post 3/5]
[TWC: 1441/1500]

Santaru Kaede

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Danii stares down at the sword as Rei talks. The explanation Rei is giving doesn't really mean anything to her, all the talk of spirits and chakra sensing are skills outside of her area of expertise, but she understood the implication behind it. There was something living inside her sword, something that she could talk to and work with. Her fingers traced the skull on the hilt. It did make some sense as she had talked to it on multiple occasions during spars and various times she was alone while cleaning it. But part of her worried about this implication remembering the time that she lost control. She pieced together that the sword had taken control of her actions, but she didn't actually remember what happened between the genjutsu and the end of the spar when she came too.

“I think I know what you mean. I've heard the voice before. We've talked. Normally it's more of just pointers to my stance or when to dodge. Occasionally, the sword even sees carry itself towards the target, but that… time was different. Maybe you are right, maybe I should try and talk to him.”

Danii looks down at the sword. She lets out a sigh then takes a deep breath. She closes her eyes and reaches out to the spirit in the sword. Rei would notice the chakra auras begin to ebb and flow against each other and even swirl together and separate.

“I… uhh… hmmm… I see… red. Burning bright, but dark. Almost blood in color. The… ummm… spirit? It feels strong, passionate, powerful. But I also sense a fearful presence. Something primal and vengeful. I was told this was my father's sword, but it doesn't fit with the stories I was raised with about him.”

At the mention of her father, the red chakra pulses harder and spreads farther into Danii's own chakra. Rei might notice, but Danii seems to be oblivious to it.

[WC: 325]
[Total WC: 1145]
[Post 3 of 5]

Saitou Rei

Yen
ASP
Deaths
OOC Rank
S
A glimmer of hope raised itself as Danii mentioned having talked to the spirit of her ancestor before; or rather, having been talked to by the spirit. Helping with her fighting style didn't sound too malicious. "Yeah, if you've already connected like that it probably shouldn't be too hard for you. Give it a shot."

Though the imagery of the chakra within the blade was disquieting, both as Daenerisu described as well as the way Reicheru sensed it, it wasn't until Danii began describing the personality of the blade that Reicheru's closed eyes drew tighter into a near scowl. At the same time as her kin, Rei attempted once more to make contact with her great-grandfather. He knew something about this sword that she needed to know, she could feel it. 'So, ojii-san, I could use some help here.' Silence. 'I've spent the last two weeks meditating, figuring myself out, doing what you told me to do. I get it, I've moved on, really!' Doubt filled even Reicheru's own heart, and as she stared down the violet-hued chakra of Nanjirou Hayate's spirit she attempted once more to reach out in her spiritual body… stopped once more by the tug of that invisible chain. Sighing, the young girl was right ready to try to figure things out on her own again when a single word came to her out of the silence. Denial.

What was that supposed to mean? Indignation filled the kunoichi. She knew she couldn't change the past, she had long come to terms with the reality of what had happened in their former home. As these thoughts flew through her mind, Danii's words echoed loudly in her meditative space. "…it doesn't fit with the stories I was raised with about him." It was her second time saying this about her father, practically verbatim. At the mention of her father, the red chakra flared in a way that reminded Reicheru of that night with Maikeru. The word given to Rei had not only been meant for her. Swallowing hard, she opened her eyes.

Looking at her cousin, Reicheru was unsure of how to continue. Danii had always been so kind and carefree; all traces of that personality had vanished and been consumed by those dead, red eyes during the incident. She didn't want to push her friend away by prying, but more than that she didn't want Danii to lose herself to something neither of them fully understood. "Danii, that night… I really want to think that the spirit was unable to distinguish whether your life was really at stake or not and that it was just trying to protect you. But when it took over, and its chakra was more prevalent… it was terrifying." Pausing, the word hung on the air for a moment. "You weren't yourself, and my sword was practically screaming 'danger'. That's why I've been trying harder to connect with my hii-ojiisan, to figure out what he sensed. I can't say why your father was using a sword like this, and maybe when you talk to the spirit it can tell you more why… but I'm saying this so that when you do, you know… that you should probably be careful." Though probably difficult, the words were laced with concern born out of love. Hopefully Danii understood it that way, but still, for one Nanjirou to caution against the blade of another…

[Post 4/5]
[TWC: 2008/1500]

Santaru Kaede

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Danii closed her eyes and took her friends advice. She took a deep breath and slowly exhaled as she tried to reach out to the spirit in her sword. Nothing seemed to answer. She hadn't expected it to be that easy. All the previous times she had spoken with the spirit had been during times of stress or while wielding the weapon, either in combat or in training. And, normally he was the one to reach out to her. She had never really tried to start a conversation with it like this.

Umm… hello?

She called out in her mind as her hands rested on the weapon in her lap. As the two set and meditated together, Danii opened one of her eyes slightly when she heard Rei sigh in frustration. She watched as Rei's face scrunched up and wondered what demons her friend struggled with. Worried that Rei would catch her slacking off, and comforted knowing that she wasn't the only one struggling to make a connection with her sword's spirit, Danii closed her eye again and took another deep breath.

Listen. I know you are there. What do you want from me?

Power… blood... strength… fire… heritage… order… control… ascension…

What does that mean?

The words flash through her mind like images and emotions instead of a vocal answer, relating a feeling more than any actual meaning. The feelings clashed as they continued going, sometimes even seemed to be contradictory. Danii struggled to find meaning in the chaos. As she turned it over in her mind, Rei's voice cut through the discordant response to her first question and the feelings seem to grow quiet. Danii continues her meditation while trying to remain composed. Listening to Rei's concerns, the young girl can't help but feel the same way as her cousin. While the spirit inside her her blade seemed to want to protect her at times, it also seemed to bring out the worse in her. That spar may have been the worst incident, but it wasn't the first time she was left angry after a training session with Kingslayer.

“I think you are right. It still feels right when I wield this sword, but I can't deny that it pulls out the best and worst in me. I'm not sure why I would be paired with a weapon with such a different personality than me.”

Danii opens her eyes and locks eyes with Rei. The grim look on her face begins to fade back into her usual smile.

“Thanks for helping me. I can't throw it away anymore than I could throw away my own arm, but I think I need to learn more about the history of it. Maybe I'll send a letter to gramps soon.”

[WC: 459]
[TWC: 1604]
[Post 4 of 5]

Saitou Rei

Yen
ASP
Deaths
OOC Rank
S
Relief washed over Reicheru like a wave as Daenerisu seemed to take her words and advice gracefully. As a rule, the Nanjirou were a proud people, and often to question the character or integrity of one's blade could be considered an equal attack on the wielder. Of course, neither of the Konoha natives could be considered very traditionalist when it came to a number of things that characterized the clan of samurai - both to their benefit as well as their loss.

"I'm not sure anyone really knows why we pair with the swords we do; that's for the spiritual realm I guess. Maybe there's some sort of science behind it - maybe our family back in Earth Country can enlighten us one day," a smile accompanied the words, a plan hatched years ago when they'd first met. Lately it felt more like a pipe dream than anything (especially given their current travel restrictions), but Rei held out hope that it would become a reality one day soon.

"Regardless, whatever's in there, it's not you. As a Nanjirou it may be part of you, even a big part, but our identity is not only in these pieces of metal," Rei finally picked up her own blade as she spoke, staring into her own slate eyes reflected in the steel. Sheathing Sofu Ken, she met Danii's gaze once more. "I know it's not natural for you, but if you want to figure out what's going on in there-" her pointer finger indicated Kingslayer, "-you've got to balance your Yin and Yang energy. You're basically a pro with the latter. Keep meditating, but not only to reach out to him. If your own spirit isn't at peace, progress is going to be slow. Go find yourself, first."

As she repeated the instruction Hayate had given to her, something seemed to click inside of the young Nanjirou. It wasn't totally clear to her what it was, but an understanding that telling herself she was fine wasn't enough. This was going to be a journey; something was going to have to happen to solidify what she kept trying to make herself belief.

Smiling, Rei stood to her feet. "C'mon what are we doing, trying to catch cold? Maik should be home soon, why don't I whip us up some stew?" Cooking had been a relatively new adventure for Rei since they'd set out from Leaf, so in truth she wouldn't mind an extra set of eyes and hands in the meal preparation. Genin pay doesn't exactly afford the luxury of buying street food as regularly as she was used to.

[Post 5/5]
[TWC: 2443/1500]
[Tutor Completed - link your last post in your training for rewards!]
[Topic Left]

Santaru Kaede

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Danii wasn't quite sure about all this talk. Meditation and inner peace were new concepts to her, but maybe Rei knew something she didn't know. At worse, it couldn't hurt to try for a bit. She pushed the thoughts that had raced through her mind early to the back as Rei stood up.

“Yea, I'd love that. Plus, it's definitely time to get out of the cold and warm up.”

She stood up and sheathed her sword. And followed Rei back to the apartment she shared with Maikeru.

Later that night, Danii shoved the table in her one room apartment out of the way and cleared a small space on the floor where she could sit crosslegged with her sword on her lap. Focusing on deep, steady breathing, she reached out to the spirit in her sword again.

Let's just start simple. What's your name?

Kingslayer.

That's not what I meant.

It's what I'm called now. What does it matter what I was called.

It matters to me. What was your name?

You know the answer. You are a smart girl. Afterall, it runs in your family… it runs in our family.

Tell me your name…

Danii's eyes opens as shock creeps across her face.

[WC: 208]
[TWC: 1812]
[Post 5 of 5]

Current Ninpocho Chronicles Time:

Back