Ninpocho Chronicles

Ninpocho Chronicles is a fantasy-ish setting storyline, set in an alternate universe World of Ninjas, where the Naruto and Boruto series take place. This means that none of the canon characters exists, or existed here.

Each ninja starts from the bottom and start their training as an Academy Student. From there they develop abilities akin to that of demigods as they grow in age and experience.

Along the way they gain new friends (or enemies), take on jobs and complete contracts and missions for their respective villages where their training and skill will be tested to their limits.

The sky is the limit as the blank page you see before you can be filled with countless of adventures with your character in the game.

This is Ninpocho Chronicles.

Current Ninpocho Chronicles Time:

"Home"

Maki Ryo

Yen
ASP
Deaths
It was late in the afternoon. Academy was over for the day. Exhaustion and soreness were sinking deep into Ryo's being as he made his way back home, his usual caution dulled by the long day of training. He dragged his feet as he made his way back home, lazily drifting around people to avoid bumping into them. Today he couldn't be bothered to return any stares with a stern glare of his own. He just didn't care enough. For a moment he had to stop in his tracks, glancing around with a dull look in his eyes before he spotted where he was going.

'Home'. How did he even make the mistake of calling it that? The place didn't look or feel like it at all. It was a house. The one he was living in. It wasn't even that impressive of a place. If his 'father' was suppose to be such a great shinobi then how come he didn't have a better place? Not like he'd use a nicer house any more than he would this one. Old bastard was hardly around as is. Why would he care about a house he was barely in?

Ryo walked slowly up to the front door, fumbling with a key from his pocket before unlocking the front door and coming inside. He didn't know if his old man was here. He didn't care. All he could think to do was make a beeline for the couch, not even bothering to pat the sand and dust off himself before flopping down stomach first onto the cushions with a soft grunt.

He closed his eyes and tried to take a spontaneous nap on the spot but he already knew it wasn't going to work. He felt absolutely exhausted but his sore muscles and new cuts stung like little ant bites, edging him away from rest every time they began to prickle. Before long he was just laying there, staring off to the side. Too tired to move but not able to sleep. Great. This was his afternoon now apparently.

Raizo

11th Kazekage
Yen
ASP
Deaths
Episode 1: Home | Father and Son Arc said:
He wasn't even sure what time it was anymore. The fact the sun was out did not seem to phase him or allow his brain to put into context that if nothing else, it was at least not night time. Yet, at this point, you could have told him it was midnight and he would have probably believed you. His body, his soul, his entire being, felt like it was running on fumes. There was a pain that was surging throughout his whole body, even his mechanical left arm felt like it was throbbing. His nights and days seemed to be consumed with nothing but work, his personal work. Whether it was behind the mask as an ANBU, behind the mask of a vigilante, or just operating as his 'mask' as a village Sennin. The hunt for the Sovereign, the attempts to sabotage the Daimyo's efforts, and just the needed administrative work of the village. It was all piling up, more so than it once did. Back in the past, it was simply just focusing on himself, and then after that, it was taking on a fulltime role as a masked vigilante. Ever since accepting more responsibility in the village, his life had become a mess. And then the boy appeared.

It was a hard thing to accept, not that it was a sad thing. No, in fact, he was happy that he had a child out there. He would have loved to have known it sooner, but he understands that the boy's mother probably had her reasons. Or maybe it was his fault? That wouldn't be too terribly surprising. His life was one wild ride that went off the rails long before Ryo was born, and there was no way to really slow down at this time. Yet, he knew he needed to slow down. He needed to be there for Ryo. The boy seemed to be wavering more to a dark side than what he would like. The transition for Ryo into the village seemed like it had not been going well, whether that was the actions of those around him, the actions of Ryo himself, or just a general mix, he wasn't entirely sure. He had a hunch. Either way, he knew he needed to take time to see the boy. Instead of crashing in his office, he would return to the home he had set up for Ryo.

He would pause at the door. His tall frame would just stand there, frozen like a statue. His face was washed out and his eyes glazed over as he just stood there solemnly.

I can do this. I can do this. The kid needs this. You remember how bad it hurt when your brother left? Never remembering your father... hell never remembering your mother... finding out that all of them weren't your true family and you have more familial connections with super human lab rats working for the Daimyo... who the fuck am I kidding. I can't do this. I am not prepared for this. I am going to ruin this kid, I ruin everything. These hands...

His eyes would slowly shift to look down as his metallic and flesh hands were raised up, exposing their palms.

These hands destroy... I destroy... I will only lead to destruction, Ryo needs better than that...

Another moment would pass with him just standing there before the door to the house would swing open.

"BOY!!!! PAPA'S HOME!"
original.gif

The words would echo out a bit as he would look around. Then a thought would slowly start to creep into the back of his mind.

"Wait... would he be home right now... or at the academy... Oy, Ryo? You here?"

He would cautiously start to make his way into the domicile as his eyes would scan around. Picking up on different context clues, the biggest being the residual sand and dirt coating the floor closest to the entry point gave him a rather good idea that the boy was in fact home. Finally making it to the couch, the over six foot frame of the Sennin would glance down towards the exhausted Ryo.

"Tough day today, boy?"

Maki Ryo

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Ryo wasn't sure how much time had passed. Hell, he wasn't even sure if he'd nodded off for a minute or not. The only thing he knew for certain was snapping out of his brief moment of relaxation by the front door swinging open far harder than was needed and the obnoxious sound of absolute nonsense being yell as that man came into the house. The boy's already foul mood turned worse as he reached out for the nearest pillow cushion and put it over the top of his head. Great. This one day in particular that he was really going to need rest and the old man decides to show up. Of course this would be the day he was going to acknowledge his existence. Great.

He didn't make a sound as the man called out for him, half hoping that he wouldn't be found despite how in the open he was. Maybe the geezer's eyes would slide right over him and he'd just leave and go drink or something. At the very least he'd be consistent then. A part of Ryo knew he wasn't being fair. Mother had never told this man he'd been born. But then again he never even cared to come back. To see her, to check on her. She'd been nothing and he'd been an accident. He felt fully justified in hating this man, only accepting whatever he offered because he owed him in the end.

The sound of footfalls drew closer until he knew that there was no way Roku had missed him. Hearing him ask if he'd had a tough day confirmed it. He kept the pillow hugged to the back of his head, not saying a word at first as he wondered if staying quiet or pretending to sleep would work. But he knew it was too late for that. He was obviously tensed up and holding onto the pillow too tightly for someone who was dead asleep. After a few hesitant moments he finally muttered.

"It was fine."

Raizo

11th Kazekage
Yen
ASP
Deaths
His eyes would remain on the boy. It was hard being knowledgable of the human body. Prior to his current form, he had been a muscle driven, taijutsu mastering, brawler. His training not only demanded him to build his body a certain way but to understand his body fully. Because of this, he gained a vast amount of knowledge on muscles and their movements. So it would not take much effort for him to notice the strain the boy's body was emitting to keep the pillow affixed to his noggin.

Is he trying to kill himself? Seems like a real shit way to do it...so is he hiding from me? Seem's like a real shit way to do that too... the hell sort of shinobi strategies are they teaching in that damn academy?!

"Fine..... fine.... everything is fine. F. I. N. E."

He was stalling. There wasn't much to go along with based on the boy's response so he would need to find a way to progress the conversation forward. It was going to be a fine line between balancing the boy's feelings, which for some reason or another seemed stressed, and the fact that he did not openly want to talk to him. It would take a skilled parent to handle this situation.

"...the hell does fine me? That's not an answer...tell me about your day?"

He was not a skilled parent. He meant well, he did, and deep down he knew this would require more tact than that. Still, there was something about this whole moment, this whole new reality, that was still foreign to him. He was trying to be honest with his words, as he feared putting up too much of a facade would not help him much either. How did normal parents handle this? How did kids end up not being screwed up? Was he missing some sort of manual?

It was all new and frustrating... which was then tacked on top of the other looming frustration in his life.

Maki Ryo

Yen
ASP
Deaths
For a brief moment Ryo thought that the quiet in the room was a sign that his father was taking a hint and leaving him alone for the evening. Not so. Instead the old man began talking nonsense, just repeating the word 'fine' like he was stalling for time. The young boy couldn't help but lift the pillow and turn his head, still remaining somewhat obscured under it but able to stare up at his father with a look of clear annoyance. Was he mocking him? Like it wasn't bad enough when he wasn't around, now he was making being around a pain. It only got worse when he started speaking his thought, complaining that he hadn't given a real answer. He practically growled at this, realizing he wasn't going to get left off the hook as he sat up, glowering down at the floor and hugging the pillow to his chest now.

"We did exercises and jutsu practice and I couldn't do most of them and then I got into a fight between lessons and made sensei mad. Then I had to keep up with the written lessons which I barely understand, then had to do more exercise, then left, came home, laid down and then you come busting down, getting on my case!"

It all came out as a half coherent, run on mess of sentences, the pillow half covering his mouth not helping at all. He wasn't about to hide his frustration with his father. He wanted him to know the truth: that he hated this village and he hated school, the lessons, the students and the teachers and that he hated him for putting him through all of it. Despite his best efforts angry tears began to form in his eyes as he hugged the pillow tighter still.

Raizo

11th Kazekage
Yen
ASP
Deaths
He would watch the boy, toss and turn, before finally snapping up and giving him the assessment he asked for, in as quirky of a fashion as he could. His words raced together, his face remained half covered, his expression was pained, and finally, tears began to form on the face of the child. This wasn't new to him, he had seen a mixture of all these emotions before. What was foreign, what was new to him, was experiencing these emotions from this level. It was this sort of moment that he found himself locked outside of his comfort zone. He could not just punch away this issue. He could think of the words to say, his life working in espionage as ANBU or for his own personal endeavors gave him the ability to read and assess emotion, and then respond accordingly. Again, it was this child. This boy made all of that skill and training useless. Not because the child was a hassle, but because he did not want to fail him. He was already feeling the realization that he might be. Those same thoughts from earlier never subsided, this was a perfectly fine blank slate he was going to let get muddied and ruined. He desperately wanted to change that.
Background music for the scene, enjoy!
He would take a step towards Ryo.

"Boy."

Every fiber within his being wanted to see this boy find some sort of happiness, some sort of home. He knew it probably wasn't going to be through him, and ultimately he was fine with that. There were so many capable people within this village that could ensure a better path for him. It wasn't like that would be a novel idea to him. It's essentially how he was raised. He never had a father. He turned out... well, he had turned out. But people like Sousuke weren't always in his young life. This boy could be spoiled by the treasures he had gathered, even if he, his own father, couldn't provide him what he needed most.

Another step would be made towards the boy as his shadow was now cast over his small frame.

"No...Ryo."

It was painful, a pain that caused him to forget about his own actual physical ailments. The feeling that something he wanted to see grow and prosper could never do it under him, it was heartbreaking. Ryo was a plant, a little sapling starting to bud, and he could not be the sun to assist him. No, he was coated in too much darkness, mired in too much grey, but he knew others that could. Those that could be the support he needed to help him fully develop. But that didn't mean he could not also play a role...

"Did you win?"

He imagined there would be some confusion on the face of the boy at this, or maybe even anger or frustration.

"The fight. Did you win?"

It would seem like a weird thing to fixate on, and would probably cause the boy to be further flustered. Regardless of how the boy would handle it, and he would give him the amount of time needed to express whatever it is he wanted to, whether that spills it all or be quick and dismissive.

"You won't win all your fights, your days won't always be the best..."

He would take hold of his metallic left arm, twisting it until it made several popping noises. He would then jerk it forward removing the limb and tossing it to his side.

"Life... not just generally, but your life... it's going to be hard. You are going to find yourself crawling and struggling. You are going to feel this world, this life is unfair and that everything is crashing around you..."

His right arm would raise up and snap off the ragged black cloak that adorned his upper body revealing a body of full of scars.

"Lessons will be tough, inside the class and outside of the class. You are going to want to give up... everything will push you to your limits and you will find yourself asking, what is the point?"

He would then drop to one knee.

"I am not a good dad... but what I am is one hell of a fighter. Not the best, not invincible... but I am resilient. Do you enjoy how you feel right now? Do you enjoy how this day has made you feel? Do you want to feel this way again in the future?"

He would pause for a moment, as his eyes stare directly at Ryo's.

"I can't be much... but I can promise you, if you let me, I can lead you down a path that will keep you from feeling this way. You are my son, so nothing will ever come easy to you, that is just the shit reality of life, but as my son, you have inherited some of the most stubborn genetics in this whole damn country. So if you lost the fight today, don't lose the next one. If you didn't get the lessons today, go to the training grounds and beat them into your body, if you made your sensei mad, tomorrow make them proud, written lessons.... shit, you are out of luck there."

He would then bring his frame back to its full standing height.

"And if you want me to stop being on your case... prove to me that you can stand on your own. Show me your resolve. Show me that you are going to get back up if the next day knocks you down. Show me that you are my child. Don't sit defeated, which is not the same as don't experience failure. Embrace what went wrong, but don't allow it to weigh you down."

This is all he could do. He could not build a well-rounded citizen, but he could develop a fighter, a survivor if Ryo wanted him to do such.

Maki Ryo

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Ryo was already conflicted before the man standing next to him had even said a word. He wanted to be left alone. To deal with these pent up feelings himself instead of having them laid bare in front of this bum of a man he had for a father. On the other hand he wanted to be comforted. Not by Roku. By his mother. He wanted her to come through that door right then and there, to put her arms around him and to say how everything was going to be alright. To take him home, to Soons Haven. Back to... poverty. To the struggle day to day to keep food on the table. To the danger of just walking down the street...

The first word out of his father's mouth stung like a slap to the face. Boy. This was what he'd come to expect. He didn't know what part of it hurt more. How it showed that he didn't bother considering him a 'son' or how it showed he didn't even care to remember his name? He could feel it coming. He was about to get in trouble for giving him lip. This was what he'd been waiting for. The fact that they were having an exchange at all had already made it the longest they'd held a conversation before now. Ryo had kept his head down for the most part since arriving because he just knew that this gruff looking bastard wasn't going to put up with any of his sass.

Except that wasn't what happened at all. The sound of his name on his father's lips was so alien that he couldn't help but draw his gaze towards the man, as if that gesture alone was something bizarre. He was too young, too inexperienced to recognize the look of sorrow and empathy showing in his father's eyes. All he saw was pity and it made the boiling well of emotions bubbling up in his chest grow more out of control. He wanted to strike out despite all logic. For daring to make him feel this way, as if all this burning up inside of him was this man's fault.

What came next threw him even further off balance. He didn't understand what was being ask at first, like Roku had switched to an entirely different language altogether. Then he clarified and Ryo felt new emotion fall in with the rest: shame. His gaze drifted away sheepishly, holding the pillow tighter as he gave his answer in no more than a whisper.

"No."

It wasn't a remotely fair fight to begin with. Two older students had caught him in the hall between lessons. Ryo wasn't even sure if they'd singled him out because he was new, because he was different or just because he was there. He got a few good licks in but he was outnumbered and the boys had more experience on their side. They probably would have done a lot worse to him if a sensei hadn't gotten involved. He closed his eyes as he sat there, waiting to be berated or at best be told how to do better next time. Like his words would help.

That wasn't what he was told. In fact he wasn't sure what he was being told at first. It almost sound like he was being told that things were only going to get worst. The shock stopped it from letting them sink in with that meaning at first as he watched his father from the corner of his eyes. He didn't understand and it was written clear as day on his face. Then he continued. He was told his life was going to be difficult. His in particular. Those words especially caught his attention. His mother had always been so gentle when it came to trying to talk to him about this sort of thing. Yeah, things could get tough but then again everyone had their struggles. Yet Ryo didn't feel worse. Those words didn't put more weight on his shoulders, he'd known his burden for a long time. So maybe that's why he felt a strange relief in someone acknowledging it.

The red haired youth hadn't turned his head all the way to see his father and give his full attention until he'd said this. By then Roku's cloak was off and his arm had been tossed to the side. The prosthetic had been something Ryo had wanted to ask about since he arrived but had known not to. Seeing Roku without it and all the scars on him. He didn't look like a pathetic, lazy bum. He looked... tired.

Ryo couldn't make himself look away as Roku continued. He was honest. Almost painfully so. He admitted he wasn't a good parent. That he wasn't even the strongest there was. That things were only going to get harder, not just because Ryo was a hybrid but because he was his child. He didn't mince words either. Maybe it was just that he didn't care or maybe he knew that Ryo had worse things going on in his life than hearing a curse word or two.

What he had to say was simple yet impactful. Keep trying. Giving up shouldn't be in his nature. It was up to him to keep up the will to keep moving forward. For a short while Ryo fell totally silent, staring at his father in clear shock as he held tight to the pillow. He hadn't been expecting this, any of this. For him to care this much, for him to say these things even if he didn't say it the best ways.

Then all at once the fire in the child flared up at once. A fresh wave of angry tears began to pour out of his eyes as he grit his teeth, got up and without so much as a word of warning chucked the throw pillow he'd been clinging onto right into his father's face with every ounce of strength he had left.

"Go to hell, you old bastard!"

Despite still crying there wasn't any despair or sorrow in his voice. He was still letting all his feelings vent out but now it was just anger, frustration and his own motivation finally shining through. He pointed a finger sharply at Roku as he continued to shout.

"I'm not going to keep trying and getting back up because I'm the son of some good for nothing bum!"

He jammed his thumb into his chest, not looking away from his father, not even blinking as he continued.

"I'm going to do it to prove to everyone that I'm better than a fart like you! I'm going to outshine you and everyone else if it kills me!"

Raizo

11th Kazekage
Yen
ASP
Deaths
Background music for the scene, enjoy!

In his lifetime, he had spent the better part of his life getting hurt. Physically hurt. Losing his arm to a legendary sandworm, feeling and hearing the sound of his flesh tearing and bones snapping like a twig. At other points, he had been impaled, cut to shreds, left in a coma, wandered out into the Diamond Maelstrom to have his flesh flayed by the brutal storm. He had been punched, kicked, stabbed, smashed, slammed, buried, knocked unconscious, and through it all he has found the power to get back up. He had gone to death's door roughly 8 times in his decades of life, from what he could recall and not continuing the attempts Sousuke had to order to revive him preceding the Cabal incident, and yet, here he was. Still standing. He had experienced so much pain, and the more he learned about the memories he could not recall from his childhood, well it was a certainty that he had nearly died more times than just what he could recall. That his body had been ripped apart, mutated and pushed to its limits. And yet that was all just pain. There was nothing that truly felt lasting, his body was made to be malleable after all. And then there was this...

"Go to hell, you old bastard!"

His eyes would look down at the fiery boy before him. He would absorb the blow from the pillow, he would take the lashing of the boy's words, and he would watch the boy stand defiantly before him. None of it would physically hurt, hell it would probably push the poor boy past his limits currently just to place him in a position where he would feel physical pain. That was just the reality. And yet, he found himself feeling that pain once more. A throbbing, surging pain that seemed to envelop his entire body. There was no pinpoint to the pain, but it seemed to resonate from his chest. A stifling, constricting feeling growing outwards from his center mass.

Huh, maybe an old injury flaring up...

"I.... see..."

On one hand, he was proud that the boy had found a spark of passion, as it seemed that he was no longer lying down and moping. On the other hand...

"Very well, if that is your resolve..."

With effortless movements, he would seemingly disappear. His visage would reappear next to his detached arm. His foot would kick the prosthetic up into the air and he would snatch it out of suspension and begin the process of quickly reapplying it.

"Then if the route you wish to travel is one in spite of me, then I wish you the best of luck."

He was never given a guide on this sort of thing, and it would be hard to imagine any first time parent knowing the appropriate way to handle the first time their child told them they 'hated' them. One would have to imagine it would be like being told someone you thought would always inherently like you told you that they hated you instead. It would probably be a level many tiers higher than just being told someone hated you. He did not need to know Ryo past the simple fact that the boy was his child. It was different for the child, however. Their world was still forming, their grasp on what their words mean to those around them, especially their parents, didn't always necessarily align with their actual feelings. They were more prone to rush to their emotional response instead of taking the appropriate time to consider everything, from what was said to them to what they were about to say. Either way, even if the best parent knew this information, it would still be hard-pressed to imagine them not taking personal their child stating they hated them. He was no different.

"I'm sorry, but this bum has to go back to work. I had the fridge restocked... I look forward to seeing if your resolve carries you to the heights you're setting within your sights."

And with that, he would make his way back towards the door.

[OOC - Topic Left Unless Stopped]

Maki Ryo

Yen
ASP
Deaths
By the time he was done with is little outburst Ryo was panting. Even if he wanted to keep lashing out at his father he simply lacked the energy to do so. Not that it would have been that easy anyways. It was the first time he'd gotten his feelings out about his father to his face. He'd been expecting a few outcomes ever since he met the man. At first he thought that it'd be the same as every other man he'd mouthed off to in his life: a sharp hit across the face for speaking up. After a while he couldn't imagine him doing that -- not out of any sense of kindness but simply because he didn't care enough. The more likely outcome was indifference, being talked down to for being just a child and that he was all he had so he better suck it up.

This wasn't any of that and somehow it almost made Ryo even angrier. The child was far from having the social skills to read people but it was clear his father wasn't mad or annoyed. He seemed hesitant at best, as if all of this was a surprise to him. How could that be? From day one Ryo had made it clear he didn't like here or being around him even if he hadn't said anything out loud. Yet the way Roku acted almost seemed like it was news to him if only from his hesitation. He waited for something negative to come of the outburst -- a casual, half hearted declaration of being grounded or something of the sort. Instead his father seemed accepting, almost defeated in a way. The boy flinched when Roku disappeared for a split second but when he cracked an eye open he saw that he'd only moved to get his arm. He hadn't really been thinking about it before but now with most of the burning, pent of feeling let off his chest it really gave him a moment to think about it. What had happened? Had it hurt? Did all of this come about from recklessness, laziness or just an unfortunate accident? He'd heard it a few times before but the sound of the metallic limb slipping back into it's slot made a shiver go down his spine. Ryo had been hurt a fair few times in his life but that... he couldn't even imagine that.

With a few more words -- none of them cruel, none of them thoughtless -- Roku made his way towards the door to leave. Damn it, this wasn't how it was suppose to turn out! He'd thought about this for days! He was suppose to get a reaction out of him! Plenty of other stupid adults had done it without him even trying to do anything, so why was the stupidest one he knew just brushing it all off? For a few moments the embers of his rage flared up. This wasn't what he was expecting. Then it died down again. Wasn't that for the best? Was it worth getting getting the reaction he was expecting even if it wasn't a positive one? None of this fixed the issues at hand. His father was still a bizarre stranger, their connection going only as far as blood, a man who hadn't been there for almost his entire life and who wasn't there even when he began to live with him. But in the grand scheme of things it was the best an adult had treated him since his mother.

"Oy... rōjin."

Ryo found his voice just as Roku had reached out for the door, his voice not much more than a mumble though in the deathly silence of the room it rang clear as a whistle. His arms were still crossed though his eyes were tilted down towards the floor.

"I know you're not going to make the time. But if you're ever free... I... could use some help practicing..."

His feeling about the man weren't any different than what they were a few minutes ago. At least they didn't feel any different to him. This didn't make his father any less of a weird bum in his eyes. But it was the first time he felt free to make a request of him of any kind. It was clear he was setting himself up for expectations -- Roku had never so much as made free time to try and get to know him before, much less wanted something actually useful and time consuming. It wasn't too different from his outburst though. It'd been on his mind a while and knowing how he'd react might be better than sitting on it for another few weeks.

[ OOC: Rōjin translates to 'old man'. ]

Raizo

11th Kazekage
Yen
ASP
Deaths
The boy would call to him, once more referring to his age in the process. That was a weird insult to him, but one he was just as bad with too. But honestly, he had no idea how old he truly was, but in comparison to the boy, he most definitely was older. Still, because he wasn't sure his actual age, it always bugged him when he was called "old" by a younger person. He would pause, not only to reflect on the insult itself but to wait and see what it was the boy was going to say to him. He would remain silent as the boy would make a request, still using biting language.

He would ponder the thought for a moment before reaching to his own side. From there he would detach a small item, while also pulling another small wired item out of one of his pockets. He would place the items down on the table stationed near the front door and would turn to face his son.

"Channel 6 is my personal line. Whenever you are ready, give me a call."

He would smirk to the boy before turning around once more and opening the door to the house. Before fully exiting he would pause once more.

"I..."

The words would linger for a moment, his mind grinding and churning to put together the right words for his thoughts.

"...I look forward to seeing the progress you make, Ryo."

That wasn't necessarily what he wanted to say, but it was what came out of his mouth. With that, he would fully exit the home and begin making his way down the road. Pulling another item from his pocket and would place a piece of it in his ear. He would let out a sigh, thinking back to what it was he wanted to say to Ryo but that he had refrained from it. It was difficult, his work was one he could not openly discuss most of the time and the last thing he wanted was the boy worrying about his life. Honestly, it was almost easier to have him despise him instead.

"This is Sennin Roku, page the Kazekage... I think it's time him and I got down to business."

[OOC: Topic left and headset left behind for Ryo]

Maki Ryo

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Ryo regretted saying anything the moment it left his mouth. The man before him looked confused to even be spoken to like this and he felt a churning in his guts for having said it. This was a bad idea. The only person he'd ever, ever asked for help was his mother. He hadn't needed anyone else and this man, this stranger. He was nothing like her. He didn't have the gentle touch or caring eyes. He barely knew how to handle Ryo existing, much helping raise him. His advice just a few moments ago was mixed, kinda motivating but heartbeaking to hear after his mother had tried to tell him that he was no different from any other little boy regardless of what other people say.

And yet Roku was all he had. His mother wasn't coming back for him, that was something he had to accept. And it wasn't like he was making it easy. It was a struggle to keep the positive in mind. Sure, he hadn't done anything great for him but he hadn't done anything that bad. He wasn't use to that from a man. He was far from his mother but it wasn't the worst person to be stuck with.

He didn't say a word as his eyes followed Roku's every little movement, watching him put down what he only vaguely recognized as a communicator and told him what channel he was on. As always Ryo felt hesitant to take what the man said at face value. 'Any time'? Yeah right. He tried to glower at this but his gaze had softened since a few moment prior, making his anger look more like childish annoyance than anything.

The boy didn't know how to feel about his father's parting words. The callous, pessimistic side of him told him without hesitation that those were empty words. Generic motivation. But was that all that different from what Mom use to say? And even if it felt weak it was something he only half admitted he liked to hear. He'd been scared since his arrival to be stuck with a father that resented his existence. So far it'd felt like he was only tolerating it. He was still on the edge of whether this was for the old man's own benefit or not but maybe he really did care if he got better. If he got strong.

Ryo slowly went over to the table the communication device was set on, looking it over for a few moments. It was kinda complicated, more so than most of what he was use to at least. He figured out how to flip it on though and the tiny dial with only a handful of numbers was clearly how one set the frequency. He played with it for a few minutes until without thinking of it he set the dial to 6. Whenever he was ready. That's what he said. He stared down at it, brow furrowed as his thumb hovered over the trigger to turn on the mic.

A solid minute passed before he let out of a soft sigh and turned the power back off. No. He wasn't going to get his hopes up. It wasn't like he even needed him right now. He was tired and sore and drained in other ways he couldn't explain. Placing the device back on the table, he turned and stumbled back over to the couch, collapsing on the cushions he'd already made dirty with his earlier arrival as he closed his eyes and tried to take something resembling a nap. Maybe he'd try to hold him to his word. But not today.

[ Topic Left/Ended ]

Current Ninpocho Chronicles Time:

Back