Ninpocho Chronicles

Ninpocho Chronicles is a fantasy-ish setting storyline, set in an alternate universe World of Ninjas, where the Naruto and Boruto series take place. This means that none of the canon characters exists, or existed here.

Each ninja starts from the bottom and start their training as an Academy Student. From there they develop abilities akin to that of demigods as they grow in age and experience.

Along the way they gain new friends (or enemies), take on jobs and complete contracts and missions for their respective villages where their training and skill will be tested to their limits.

The sky is the limit as the blank page you see before you can be filled with countless of adventures with your character in the game.

This is Ninpocho Chronicles.

Current Ninpocho Chronicles Time:

In the Name of the Moon [Requesting Katsuo]

Shiruko Makoto

Head Lorekeeper
Staff member
Yen
ASP
Deaths
OOC Rank
S
"Secondly, while you are in Sand, we believe it would be wise of you to attempt to speak to the Kazekage. If this is not feasible for whatever reason, then please inform me why on return message. Otherwise do so. You do not have to form a solid channel between our village and theirs; simply indicating that should things come to a head between Sand and most other governments in that region, Moon would back them."

So the letter had said. And while Makoto was desperately not-thinking about most of the rest of the letter, that part...that part he could do. After some thought, that was the most interesting section of the whole thing.

Because the idea that, even in a small degree such as this, Moon was willing to break its vaunted neutrality...that meant something big was afoot. Something he had relayed to his traveling companions, just so they would be prepared in case it happened soon. But it had also occurred to him that he hadn't done a whole lot of investigating into the frankly alarming rumours going on around the country.

At the same time, even if they had worked together before on a mission, Sousuke might not want foreigners poking around into Sand affairs. (Actually, that didn't seem to be the case; Nanami had previous acquaintance with both Sand nin on that mission, after all. But Nanami was a civilian doctor, and that was not really the same thing as a foreign ninja.)

More to the point, the last time he had been there he had identified himself as a mercenary. That...might prove difficult to explain away.

Of course, the very day he decided he ought to go and do that and started on his way from the hotel to the tower, the whole setup changed. He stopped in his tracks in the streets of Sietch Zensunna, conflicted.

Ah.

Did that change things...? Maybe a little.

Not a lot, I should think. Wasn't that the other Sunan on the team...?

Was he? He pondered for a second. You know, I think you're right. That seems fortunate. Or rather, I don't know as if that's luck rather than Sand having demonstrated a real commitment to ending the storm.

He resumed walking. Either way, it was still a sort of luck. Although, he certainly hadn't known at the time that Katsuo was the heir to an ancient bloodline that historically ruled Sand any more than he'd known Sousuke was the Kazekage at the time.

Well. Steward Kazekage.

The significance of that now being apparent.

I have never understood how humans passed down titles through bloodlines. There is no guarantee your descendants will be adept at ruling.

My family sort of does it too. It's...complicated. He tried to think of how to put it in a way that didn't sound snobby. Well, basically, if you know from a young age that you're going to take over, it gives you more time to practice the necessary skills, as well as having people close to teach you them.

I suppose that could be an advantage. It sounded a bit dubious. Regardless, that isn't important--what little I recall of the past mission, and your impressions of it, indicates we still will not have any problems.

Hopefully.

The question was whether Moon's limited an nebulous assistance would actually be of any worth to Sand, or rather whether the Kazekage would consider them such. The leaders would no doubt try to maintain their neutrality just in case Sand's enemy's carried the day, but if his mother was sending such straightforward information to him, they would not be displeased if he threw in with the village. What it would actually amount to was his assistance, possibly Sheimi's as well. Tatsuya would be a good hand to watch Miki in the meantime; he wasn't actually a Moon ninja and had no obligation to any of this.

When Sand had just declared war on Wind that...might not be much of a weight added to their side of the scale. One, maybe two ninja from a country not traditionally known for warfare...that was probably not a big deal.

And did this mean Katsuo intended for Sand to take over the Wind Country government...?

There are...presumably...good reasons for this.

He did know that Wind Country's government was shady, after all. Still, operating in the light of day, openly, wasn't exactly something he had been taught to do as a Warden.

It was a stirring speech, all in all. But Makoto had never been especially moved by emotion; he was a practical person at his core. And he was unsure if Sand was really prepared to go to war. That didn't mean he didn't think he should side with them. No. It meant he was unsure of victory. And if he openly identified where he was from, and then they lost...

So he had a solution to that, really. The simplest one in the world. One that had, in all truth, occurred to him when he had read his mother's letter; either she or whoever she had obtained the information from had clearer seen this end result coming. And if Moon was leaning toward pitching on Sand's side--even if they hadn't and would never declare such openly--that meant that their intelligence suspected Sand held the advantage.

The Kazekage Tower rose in the sands above him as he approached, gleaming a dull silver. Ostentatious, certainly; an official ninja village vanity, most likely. But then, Sand seemed far more fond of tall buildings than he was used to. Perhaps it was only natural for people who had spent decades underground to want to touch the sky.

(Or perhaps it just looked tall to him because Moon's buildings usually were, at the most, two stories. When he drew nearer to it and nearly level with the base, it did not seem quite so lofty.)

There weren't many people left in front of it when he reached it; he had intentionally dawdled extensively while thinking. His long black and blue coat billowed out behind him as he walked toward the entrance with deliberate steps now, expression even. He wasn't going to see the Kazekage, past acquaintance or no, by bounding up like an enthusiastic Genin. With his height, he might even be mistaken for one around here.

The only proof he had of his nationality was his passport, tucked in his pocket. But he also had that stamp identifying him as a friend of Sand on the visa tucked into his passport, so...just in case Katsuo had forgotten him from the Maelstrom mission...

"Stay safe."

His mother wouldn't have signed off with that unless she anticipated danger. And it had never, in his experience, been wise to ignore her instincts.

He glanced around as he entered, uncertain where to go.

"I'm here to see the Kazekage."

Mikaboshi

Yen
ASP
Deaths
The lobby of the Kazekage Tower could perhaps be best described as a completely organized procession of total chaos.

One of the busiest buildings in the entire city above ground, the Kazekage Tower represented the centralized hub for most of the logistics and communications wrapped up within the business that was called Sunagakure. Men and women swarmed all around Makoto, each going their separate ways to and from the tower at brisk paces presumably to avoid being tardy for whatever business it was that drove their attention that day. Despite being named for the leadership position of the village the Kazekage Tower facilitated the entire spectrum of professional needs belonging to each and every Sand shinobi from the basics of mission pick up and drop off to the requisitioning of supplies and armaments to even more mundane matters like the daily mail service.

With all of that in mind, it proved entirely miraculous that on this day as Makoto approached the front desk which was awash in a constant ebbing and flowing tide of visitors and departees from tower and announced his intention to visit the Kazekage in his office that there was standing someone at the desk at that very moment who was thinking something very similar.

"That's wonderful."
jxYqkYw.png

Kobayashi Shizune
sand_chuunin.gif
Dressed in a very formal-looking white and gold coat, the young girl with long white hair was clearly speaking directly to Makoto despite not standing behind the counter and also not looking directly at him. Instead she had her ice-blue eyes fixed on a small clipboard in front of her upon which was a document that clearly vexed her from the way she chewed on the end of a pen while glaring with intent that could bore through steel. For their part, the receptionist that had looked up at Makoto as he'd announced his intent had immediately looked back down and had already moved on to other things after having seen the apparent interest that the girl-in-white had taken in Makoto. A little over five feet tall, the girl-in-white was by no means an intimidating height but there was certainly something predatory about the way she looked and dressed and it would likely be clear to Makoto that she was a shinobi as well given his level of experience ...

And perhaps also the small canine ears that protruded from beneath her snow-colored tresses which shifted in passive annoyance.

"l don't suppose you actually know where he is right now." She finished, tearing her eyes up from the clipboard at last and fixing them on Makoto as she sort of half-asked him if he knew where Katsuo was even though her tone of voice somewhat implied she already assumed that he did not.

Shiruko Makoto

Head Lorekeeper
Staff member
Yen
ASP
Deaths
OOC Rank
S
Avoiding the crush of people was annoying. He really hated being touched, even accidentally in a crowd. Still, it was more tolerable than someone doing to deliberately, and he was focused on what he was supposed to be doing.

Makoto lifted his gaze from the receptionist upon being spoken to, instead turning it to the...odd...woman with the clipboard. He bit back four or five sarcastic retorts that he wanted to utter in response; that wouldn't be productive. At least she wasn't taller than him, though it was closer than he would have liked to admit.

Still, the receptionist had apparently tacitly handed him off to her, so apparently she was at least someone of relevant authority. Another reason to not antagonize her.

(And a reason to come alone; Sheimi might not have yet started a fight, but she definitely would have escalated at perceived attitude.)

Instead, he managed to keep himself from matching attitude with attitude with thoughts of she's probably just annoyed because the person she's supposed to keep tabs on has vanished into the ether and I'm sure she's not actually intending to be irritable at me; she just happens to be in my general vicinity while irritable and it's not like I'm in much better of a mood, so i can certainly excuse her.

Keeping his expression blank and managing not to say something like 'can't you people keep tabs on your own leader?' or 'I'm assuming that's your job, isn't it?' he kept his tone even. His brothers would have been proud.

"No, I haven't a clue." For the moment; if he had to go and actively look for Katsuo that was certainly something he would do. Was it standard for a Kage to not be in their office during normal hours? Evidently not.

You'd think they'd teach us a bit more about traditional ninja villages in our training. I haven't the foggiest if this is normal aside from context clues.

A thought occurred. He could go around looking, something that would likely take a lot of time and that this dog-person had probably already done with greater knowledge of the man himself, or he could send someone much faster.

"...but I might be able to find him," he finished somewhat belatedly.

It probably wasn't a great idea to summon Hitomi in front of people, but if she said something to the effect of allowing him to try, he could go outside and summon her and ask her to search in small bird form. That could work, if she didn't get distracted. In a village full of people. Hm. Well. Call that Plan B, then. It might be a better idea for him to look too.

"I take it he's not where he's supposed to be, then." Makoto ran a hand through his hair and sighed. "Or--sorry, is he and I just need an appointment or something to see him? That seems like a rather off chance, but it's worth asking."

Had he just accidentally accused someone of unknown rank and authority in a village he was attempting to get his own semi-allied with of giving him the run-around? Maybe. Oops. But backpedaling wouldn't be a good idea. Hopefully she hadn't taken it as a slight.

Like he was that lucky.

Mikaboshi

Yen
ASP
Deaths
jxYqkYw.png

Kobayashi Shizune
sand_chuunin.gif
"Well that's great too. A lot of help you are." Snapped Shizune, her attention returning to her clipboard and returning the butt of her pen back to her lips as Makoto finished his thought and replied that he could probably find Katsuo if he wanted to. "Hmm."

Shizune said nothing as she began to walk around Makoto, looking him up and down as she did as one might appraise an antique or a vehicle. The only response she'd seemingly given to him for his comment about potentially being able to find the implied-to-be-missing-Kazekage had been a light grunt which was non-committal at best. After tracing a circle around the Moon mercenary, Shizune returned to her notepad and scribbled a few things before returning the butt end of her pen to her lips where she resumed lightly masticating it as Makoto spoke again while becoming increasingly concerned that he'd potentially just offended an official from a foreign nation. For her part, Shizune didn't seem to even take notice that Makoto had spoken again as she turned and began to slowly walk away from him.

With her eyes ever locked upon her clipboard, Shizune walked with the gait and tuned awareness of a huntress as she nimbly avoided collision with each of the various busy bodies that rushed past her in different directions, all hurrying about the lobby of the tower in an effort to get to where they were going on time. By this time Shizune had given no indication to Makoto whether or not she had entirely written him off or if she'd penciled him in for an appointment with the intention for him to wait but if Makoto did not follow along after her and after a few paces of distance were placed between them she would stop suddenly as if remembering something important and look around her immediate surroundings almost in bewilderment before looking back to Makoto with her arms crossed across her breast as best she could with a clipboard in her hand.

"Well? You said you could find him, didn't you?" She gasped, apparently exasperated that she needed to explain this to Makoto at all. "And you might as well tell me your name while we're at it."

Shiruko Makoto

Head Lorekeeper
Staff member
Yen
ASP
Deaths
OOC Rank
S
No, she definitely doesn't know where he is. This isn't a runaround; the Kazekage has literally just decided to go on walkabout. Terrific.

Sand seemed extremely casual compared to Makoto's expectations. It didn't look as if that was liable to change at any point. That being said, this...secretary? Personal assistant? Was quite clearly aggravated, so obviously not everyone was so laid-back as all that. Just the people who tended to be given high positions, apparently. For his purposes, this was both good (Katsuo, once located, would likely agree to see him without hesitation) and annoying (the whole 'once located') part.

Of course, nothing was ever simple. Couldn't just walk in and get an appointment. Maybe that was where the bad luck had come in.

Though it didn't have to. He did have his headset on him, but surely if it was that easy, then someone would have done it already. Right? So maybe Katsuo hadn't bothered taking his headset with him wherever he went.

(Well, it wouldn't hurt to ask. Probably?)

For a second it appeared she had entirely dismissed him when she turned and started walking away. Mentally facepalming, he gave a second's thought as to whether to go after her or not. Probably she should be told where Katsuo was once he was eventually located, but he didn't know that, and it wasn't as if she was liable to actually be able to help find him, by the looks of things.

Speaking of looks...he'd thought at first that was some sort of odd hair ornament, but no, from the back it was plainly obvious that those were in fact dog or possibly fox ears. Well then.

Just as he had resigned himself to saying 'excuse me' and getting her attention back without actually having to navigate through all the people, she turned back on him. It seemed like she could make a physical 180 almost as fast as she could do a mental one.

"I can possibly find him; my specialty is tracking." No word of a lie--it really was the primary specialty he had been assigned in his personnel file back at Warden HQ in Moon. And potentially being able to call on a bird couldn't really hurt that. "Shiruko Makoto. Here from Moon Country."

And then, because it wasn't like she didn't have an attitude too, and there was only so much he could take standing there and being a doormat, he added:

"Before I go haring off, however, is there the smallest chance he might own and potentially have on him a headset?" His tone was mostly polite, but there was a thin layer of snark in it. Mostly a 'why didn't you think of that?' Of course, if pressed, he'd deny it was anything other than a friendly request. "Of course, if it's a security concern for just anyone to be able to contact the Kazekage, I'd understand, so I'd let you do it if that was the case."

Not that he thought that the words 'security concern' were in the common vernacular here. Or at least, they didn't seem to be.

Mikaboshi

Yen
ASP
Deaths
jxYqkYw.png

Kobayashi Shizune
sand_chuunin.gif
"Shiruko Makoto. Moon Country." Shizune quietly repeated aloud as she jotted something-- presumably Makoto's name --down on her clipboard with her pen. "I am Kobayashi Shizune, executive assistant to the Kazekage."

Much like the swift way she walked her introduction was succinct and precise, lacking in any extraneous information about herself or her position. What did 'executive assistant' mean, anyway? Presumably her position was intended to be his aide around the offices of the Kazekage Tower but it seemed almost like from the way she was frustrated with his disappearing act that she perhaps saw herself a bit more like executive babysitter rather than assistant.

As Makoto lightly snarked about trying to contact Katsuo through his headset, Shizune began to roll her eyes and then apparently thought better of it. Makoto potentially represented the most efficient way to track down wherever the head of state had disappeared to without starting a panic in the tower. Most of the upper-level staff knew that he was not where he was supposed to be during his office hours and had not told anyone where he was going but the only thing that alerting the remainder of the tower staff would do would serve to disrupt the rest of the sensitive work going on there. If he could not be located in short order they'd be forced to contact the two ANBU Sennin and send out a search party and ultimately they wished to avoid a scene like that if it turned out to be nothing like the last time it happened had.

"That's the first thing we tried. Where ever he is, he must have his headset off or not be wearing it." For the first time since Makoto had met her, a small crack showed in the professionally annoyed persona and the exhaustion showed through but only for a moment. It seemed like perhaps Katsuo disappearing into the city and being unreachable was not... entirely uncommon. Turning from Makoto, Shizune gestured that he should follow her out the front doors of the tower and onto the steps where she would stop. "As for tracking him, that shouldn't be too challenging. Just follow the swooning pedestrians."

Shiruko Makoto

Head Lorekeeper
Staff member
Yen
ASP
Deaths
OOC Rank
S
Sounds fancy. No idea what it means, but I'm just going to assume 'secretary, but with a fancy title.'

At this point, Makoto figured he ought to at some point ask to be sent to other villages for a while, just to make sure that 'barely-controlled chaos' wasn't standard operating procedure for them. However, for the moment, he did have an actual errand, and 'I tried to see him, but none of his support staff knew where he was' was not a response he wanted to send in a letter home. Aside from being sixteen types of ill-advised no matter who you were sending that information to, it sounded like an excuse to not do a mission, even if it was true.

He had never failed a mission. So that would not stand.

"This is normal," he said flatly. "That's...okay. I'll maybe add it to the list of things I have to talk to him about."

Maybe the Kazekage's own people couldn't say anything, because he was after all their boss. Makoto would never have said such a thing to the Warden Overseer like that. But you know what? This shouldn't be happening, and someone needed to bring that up.

Tactfully, perhaps?

I have no intention of throwing a tantrum at the man, don't worry.

It was just...inconsiderate, honestly, to wander about when you had a job to do. Or maybe Katsuo didn't know how to be Kage, so maybe he didn't quite get what he was supposed to...

Oh.

Oh.

Well, of course that was it. Though possibly not something he should say out loud. The idea that the man running your city had no clue what he was doing would not be a reassuring one.

"I'll find him," he said. "Particularly if it's not that difficult--it's not as if I have anything else to do right now."

He halted with Shizune and mentally facepalmed. Swooning pedestrians? Certainly, Sand was different from back home. The idea of anyone from the Shrine garnering hero worship from random passersby was ridiculous.

"All right then," he said after a second, obviously having difficulty with that one. His kept his expression suspiciously blank, and he wasn't quite sure what else to say. "Hopefully he hasn't gone too far."

Seriously. He was taking care of a non-human five year old most days, and she didn't wander off like this. Why the hell was a grown man doing it?

With a mental sigh, he embarked to follow the 'trail.' Navigating his way through people was definitely not his favourite way to track someone, but fortunately his quarry, like everyone else in the country, did not seem to have heard of subtlety.

Terrific.

Mikaboshi

Yen
ASP
Deaths
jxYqkYw.png

Kobayashi Shizune
sand_chuunin.gif
The two headed into the Residential District which surrounded the Kazekage Tower together in silence. The sun hung low in the early evening sky and as such the streets bustled with folks trying to finish out their daily errands before shops and the like closed. There were dinners to be made, children to be picked up from daycare and in the case of business owners, shops to be closed down. Despite Shizune's sarcastic comment about swooning civilians, it seemed very much like the populace on the streets were for the most part absorbed in their own lives. If Katsuo had caused a commotion while walking down the street it had been some time since then and things had largely returned back to normal once more.

"He does this from time to time. Disappears into the city and doesn't tell anyone where he's going. It's stupid." Explained Shizune as they walked,
sounding almost like she were just thinking out loud rather than actually talking with anyone as she scanned the alleyways and the faces in the crowd hoping to pick out the familiar-looking crown of red hair.

The Residential District was, in many ways, a marvel of resilience on the part of the Sunagakurians. They'd been stuck under the weight of the Diamond Maelstrom and trapped underground as a result for years but they'd taken to the surface as if the buildings which were constructed had always been there. It was an amazing show of effort and ingenuity that they'd been able to found this large area of both commercial and residential buildings in just under a decade. Naturally the wondrous power of chakra science was to thank for much of it but even still it was uncanny that this sprawling urban center had been not only founded but then rebuilt after being decimated by a massive inferno only a few years ago. Construction efforts still ranged across the city for the ever pressing need for more residential space as still a sizable portion of Sunagakure's populace lived in the rapidly decaying ruins of the underground city that was growing more and more lawless as the years dragged on as the the majority of the city's population turned their eyes and attention to the surface world they'd reclaimed.

Every so often, Shizune would stop and sniff the air but each time she looked more and more frustrated with herself as she came away with nothing. Despite being of the Inuzuka lineage, she'd never invested very much time in honing her enhanced senses for the purposes of tracking others over long distances.

"You said your specialty is tracking, right?" She grumped, her ears drooping a little in irritation. "I don't suppose you have any suggestions? The city is huge, we could be walking in circles all evening and still never find him."

Shiruko Makoto

Head Lorekeeper
Staff member
Yen
ASP
Deaths
OOC Rank
S
The annoying thing was that Makoto didn't actually have a choice whether to call on his summon.

It was true that he had basically decided against it already for many reasons, among them being her general inability to stay on task during something like a search, and the likelihood that she would call out to Katsuo when and if she found him. But his desire to keep his contract with the birds secret meant he couldn't really do that while someone was with him without making an excuse to run off for a second--and he wasn't exactly a good liar, and preferred not to anyway.

You know, I'm fairly certain nothing was said about keeping that pact secret. You don't actually have to, the phoenix told him, sounding exasperated. It isn't like with me where you must keep the secret from everyone who might possibly let slip to the Shrine, no matter how indirectly.

Isn't it? was all he bothered responding with; it wasn't a good idea to zone out when you had someone's intermittent attention on you.

It was taking quite a bit longer to actually find Katsuo than he'd been lead to believe; Shizune had clearly underestimated her boss's ability to vanish into thin air. If he was just finding a quiet place to nap or something, Makoto was going to slap him across the face again. And this time, Katsuo would be conscious for it.

Probably.

"Quite honestly, it sounds like he doesn't actually want the responsibility," Makoto said evenly, right before he realized that was also something that could potentially cause a diplomatic incident. "That is to say, if he's running off and deliberately cutting off contact, he either doesn't realize he shouldn't be doing that, finds what he wants to do more important, or simply doesn't want to do his job."

Actually, he couldn't quantify which of those things was the most worrisome. He wasn't terribly fond of any of them, and he only had a single missions' worth of impression to make a guess. Hopefully it was the first; that one could be solved with a simple 'please stop doing that,' but Shizune's general frustration seemed to indicate it wasn't.

Although he personally had experience with blowing people off to laze around in the shade, Makoto had never actually skipped out on work itself. What was the point? Do your job, do it efficiently, and then you could get back to doing whatever the hell you wanted without people yelling at you when they got exasperated enough.

(Maybe it was different for Kages. He really didn't know enough about the position to say. Though current circumstances indicated it really wasn't.)

It wasn't like he had a lot to compare the way Sand did things, though. It was the only official ninja village he'd ever been to. Yeah, he could have asked Tatsuya for stories about Mist, but from what he knew about it already it hadn't exactly followed the standard mold either. Also, it would have required both interacting with Tatsuya and believing what he said, which...Makoto still wasn't completely sold on.

It was also his suspicion that Sand was somewhat more resilient than Mist. Yes, the disaster that had befallen Mist had actually wiped it out as opposed to just locking it off, but it hadn't sounded stable prior to that anyway. Sand, while besieged by enemies, hadn't ever actually fallen. Even in the face of that awful storm he'd had to fight his way through on his previous visit. He'd made vague attempts to describe it to Tatsuya and Sheimi when they had been out in the desert, but Tatsuya hadn't seemed impressed and Sheimi had been skeptical. He had kept the fact he had been on the team to end it out of his editorial. Hopefully Sand didn't have his name recorded anywhere over it.

...He really wasn't keeping ridiculously quiet about several things other people might brag about, including he himself some years back, wasn't he? Oh well. There were...reasons. Ones Makoto didn't want to examine too closely, as some of them were probably quite flimsy.

"Maybe one or two," he said. He had tracked people in a city before on occasion, but the number of other people around tended to interfere with his chakra senses. Not to mention needing to pay attention to not running into anyone. "For one I'd suggest getting up higher for a better view." He gestured at the rooftops. "For another, well. I could potentially track him if you have anything of his, or anything he's handled recently--for me, about twelve hours back if you are the only other person to have handled it since. Or you could transfer me a Snapshot of him if you happen to have one. If you don't, I'd recommend taking one in case whatever we say to him when we do catch up doesn't properly sink in."

He also didn't yet mention the distinct possibility that Katsuo had happily run off out of the city into the desert. It was definitely the best place to be alone, another thing he knew from experience. Better to eliminate the possibility of the city first.

Mikaboshi

Yen
ASP
Deaths
jxYqkYw.png

Kobayashi Shizune
sand_chuunin.gif
Shizune's inexperience as a shinobi was beginning to show and it was apparent that it had dawned on her that was true as a light shade of pink crept it's way into her cheeks at Makoto's suggestion that they take a higher vantage point to observe from. She was a proficient enough fighter for her rank and certainly had the test scores to back it but she she lacked field experience outside of attempting to track down the errant Kazekage every time he disappeared on one of his sojourns into the city.

"I don't have anything of his and unfortunately I am not an ANBU so I do not know the technique you're referring to." Responded Shizune, craning her neck to appraise which of the various buildings in their immediate vicinity would be the best for getting a better vantage point. The obvious answer was the Kazekage Tower but generally anyone climbing on the tremendous building was... frowned upon. Something about a history of damage to the Tower. Deciding quickly on a towering local apartment complex, Shizune gestured up and began to make her way up the side of the building.

Chakra flowed to her feet and with a few slow steps she inverted herself to standing on the wall before breaking out into a sprint, avoiding any of the building's windows as she raced to the top of it assuming Makoto would be right behind her. Once at the top of the tower, it was easy to see why Makoto would suggest such a thing. They could see for a great deal of distance from atop this particular building and even though it would be difficult to pick out details at long distance at least they would be able to see if a peculiar crowd were gathering in one particular area or another. Makoto would likely beat Shizune to the top of the tower given the difference in their skill levels but after a minute or two of observation one particular thing would stand out a great deal from the rest of the city...

...and that was handful of steadily rising plumes of dust and smoke.

Pulling Shizune's attention immediately to the direction of the pillar of smoke now rising from the distance, Shizune would look from it to Makoto.

"That smoke is coming from the reconstruction zone of the Residential District. If we're going to find him, that is the most likely place." She sighed. "If there's one thing you can count on our Kazekage for, he has a talent for being at the heart of whatever trouble is brewing."

Shiruko Makoto

Head Lorekeeper
Staff member
Yen
ASP
Deaths
OOC Rank
S
Not something she's thought of, I take it. Well, she'll get good enough at tracking out of necessity eventually if she has to keep chasing her boss down.

Makoto typically did not hold a high opinion of people who weren't competent at their jobs. This wasn't an exception; his respect for Shizune took a bit of a dip and he did have to bite back a snapped comment of, 'why did you bother coming if you didn't know what you were doing?' because at this point in his life, he did accept he shouldn't just say anything that popped into his head.

And he'd been told, many times in his life, to be nicer. To not hold people to such high standards. That it wasn't fair to do so.

You also acknowledge that this is a skill she may well need to learn, so snapping at her while she is attempting to do so would not help.

Another valid point.

Still, the best he could do was a blank look and a reversion to a completely even, flat tone. Deep-rooted convictions were not so easily overturned.

"Well, I am effectively the equivalent of ANBU in my homeland," he said after a pause. "But you couldn't have known that, so never mind. If you can't take a Snapshot or Chakra Sense, perhaps in the future find someone with that particular skill who you can trust to keep the secret that the Kazekage is prone to wandering off."

Her lack of experience showed further when it took her so long to scale the building; he could pretty much walk straight up it without much in the way of bother. He was too disciplined in his emotional suppression to actually fidget waiting, but it was a bit of a near thing. Even though, objectively, it wasn't that long at all.

And, of course, he could note the chaos in the distance. It would only be prudent to not go haring off after it alone, because maybe Katsuo wouldn't actually be there at all, despite the fact he'd shown the propensity to go charging at things like sandworms, and...

Oh.

"That does ring rather true of the time I met him, yes," Makoto said with a resigned sigh. "I had some hope that he'd grown up a bit since jumping into situations with no plan or forethought, but apparently not. Well, I suppose we should head there, and since it sounds best to refrain from property damage if possible, I'll avoid anything big."

Assuming she would follow behind, if perhaps not quite as quickly, he set a slightly slower pace than normal and dove off in the direction of the disturbance.

Mikaboshi

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Shizune fell in behind Makoto with as much haste as she could and this time she managed to keep pace rather well. She still wasn't as fast as Makoto by any stretch of the imagination but certainly faster than the average shinobi of her rank. Though her vertical climb speed had been nothing to write home about, it seemed as though she had some talent in the forward momentum category. As the pair moved from rooftop to rooftop, a new pillar of smoke and debris erupted in the horizon prompting Shizune to toss a glance at Makoto which confirmed that she thought they were on the right track. Even if he weren't already there causing the disturbance, Shizune knew that Katsuo wouldn't be able to keep his distance for very long when it was possible that the city was imperiled.
It wouldn't be long before the duo arrived in a position which could see the location of the disturbance-- it was a large plot of land deep in the reconstruction zone which was scattered with a great variety of construction materials and various tools used in the manufacture of the large buildings that made up the majority of the Residential District. There were a number of smoking craters and one of the large lifting vehicles had definitely taken on some damage and exploded during what was apparently an on-going battle which were the causes of the columns of dust and smoke that rose into the sky and at the center of it was a handful of men which were actively engaged in an on-going battle. Several figures clad in what seemed like cobbled together armor and pointed hats wielded long straight-edged swords and moved in almost an orbiting pattern around a singular figure at the center who, judging from the way the dirt was exploded outwards around him and the subsequent groove in the ground that extended outwards from him towards the decimated lifting vehicle, had just sent one of the sword-wielding men through the destroyed vehicle causing the explosion.

"Okay guys, really. I know this is serious business for you but you can't actually beat me. You'd need at least another five or so guys to even..." Katsuo's voice rang out through the construction yard warning off the five or so sword-wielding men that still stalked around him at an equal perimeter but as it did... another five would-be assassins wielding the same straight-bladed oversized sword and strange pointed hat arrived on scene and took up a perimeter around him with their weapons pointed inwards towards the Kazekage creating a ring of blades surrounding him at all angles. "That's... fair, I guess. Brought that on myself. But seriously I don't have time for this today. I have so much paperwork to do, you have no idea."

Katsuo certainly looked different than when Makoto had seen him last. His hair was shorter certainly and absolutely a different color as it had been a deep forest green previously and now, apparently, was a vibrant red but there was no mistaking the almost flippant way he reacted to danger. Surrounded by ten masked men each armed with a sword the length of their forearm and he was making a remark about the paperwork that he had waiting for him back at his office. It was entirely possible that this situation was entirely so non-threatening to him that his comments reflected the reality of the situation but with Katsuo it was hard to tell. The last time Makoto had teamed up with Katsuo the man had jumped into a sandworm lair with a wild grin on his face and a laugh. With determination in her expression, Shizune turned to Makoto as she pulled a pair of gloves from within her gear that were adorned with steel studs upon the knuckles of the white leather that they were made of and immediately began to don them without a second's hesitation. Shizune was not a tracker but she was a competent enough fighter that she did not seem ready to let her Kazekage fight off a group of mystery assailants alone.

"I hope you're for real Makoto because he is never going to let me forget it if I accidentally brought another assassin to fight him while he was already fighting assassins." She remarked with a tone of voice that made it hard to tell if she were joking or not before leaping down from the building and beginning to descend from the rooftop to the ground to advance on the location of the stand-off which was going on.

Shiruko Makoto

Head Lorekeeper
Staff member
Yen
ASP
Deaths
OOC Rank
S
At least she wasn't slow. That meant her main sin in Makoto's eyes was altered from 'lack of competence' to 'naivety.'

Hopefully Shizune was worrying over very little. What little he remembered of Katsuo had him as a competent if irreverent fighter. More than competent, honestly. It would take a rather impressive opponent or swarm thereof to pose significant difficulty. Impressive opponents could be rather thin on the grounds at a certain point, so it was likely the latter held more true.

Of course, someone trying to kill a Kage, if that was really what was happening rather than the Kazekage deciding randomly to drop down and help stop some unsuspecting thugs, would account for this. Probably, anyway. And there were never any shortage of swarms of thugs in any country he had ever visited.

The site itself when they reached it put paid to the idea that it had been a random spurt of do-gooding that had caused the situation. This was not quite the middle of nowhere, but likely as close to it as one could get in a highly populated city. There were seemingly no non-combatants or civilians anywhere remotely nearby. And indeed, that looked like a (not especially competent) assassination attempt going on.

Questions about why, exactly, Katsuo was here of all places could wait. And given how wrecked up the area was already getting, about the only thing Makoto had to be careful to avoid hitting was his two allies.

Excellent.

While he was perfectly capable of fighting low-key if necessary, the specific tactical role he had been trained in was to act as a 'crash and bang' style attacker, also referred to in Moon as 'human artillery.' He had gotten to do this to some extent a few times since getting here, but he hadn't even really flexed his chakra reserves in the sandworm fight. Not since the Storm God mission years ago, actually.

This was unlikely to let him really cut loose either, but at least he could get some exercise.

With that in mind, he put away his parasol and drew the knives, but not before throwing an incredulous look at Shizune.

"Are you serious? What kind of assassin walks up and asks to see the person they're trying to kill? By appointment?" he demanded as he jumped as well. "Listen, if I were trying to kill him I would already be down there with the rest of them."

He looks different. But he sounds pretty much the same.

Oh well, it wouldn't hurt to get the ball rolling. Namely, with a little bit of flair that let the bad guys decide that hey, maybe it wasn't a good idea to attack a Kage in his own village where there were definitely allies in shouting range (if he'd used his headset anyway). With that in mind, Makoto concentrated on one of the techniques he could use without even bothering with handseals, since he couldn't exactly do that while dual wielding. He wouldn't have switched from a one-handed weapon if the knives hadn't been so much less unwieldy when fighting with allies, but never mind that.

A replica of one of his shuriken spun in the air in front of him, made of his translucent blue-green chakra. Spinning once, it became a multitude before descending faster than he and Shizune were, aimed at non-lethal but debilitating strikes on three of the terrible assassins.

Hard light shuriken pelted the hapless thugs from the skies, cutting deeply into them. Spurts of blood shot out, and he had to 'course-correct' one mentally to keep it from actually cutting off a limb. Whoops.

One of the three was still standing when Makoto landed behind them, so he whacked that one hard on the head with the flat of one of his heavy knives, laying him out on the ground by the other two covered in puncture wounds as the last of the false shuriken vanished.

"Hello there," he greeted Katsuo. "I'm not sure if you remember me. I brought your secretary and it looked as if you needed a bit of help. Would you like some?"

He did, as it so happened, have a sense of style. It just usually only showed up in less threatening circumstances.

Mikaboshi

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Shizune touched down just as Makoto's wave of synthesized shuriken slammed down unto three of the sword-wielding assassins. Two of the three crumpled into the ground immediately beneath the force of the barrage, their bodies perforated with a multitude of shimmering blue chakra constructs and the third managed to raise the flat of his sword quickly enough to deflect enough of the shuriken to to avoid being blasted from his feet. His eyes were drawn to the air along with the gaze of the remaining number of his comrades in time to catch sight of Shizune but not of Makoto who landed moments prior to the chuunin-ranked assistant and slammed the hard flat of one of his blades into the side of the wounded swordsman's head sending him away from the encirclement with a spin and finally an unceremonious thump as he fell to the ground either unconscious or dead.

For her part, Shizune hit the ground with the speed and grace expected of a shinobi belonging to her rank. She tucked into a roll which brought her up just underneath the guard of one of the adjacent swordsman who attempted to right his stance enough to defend himself from the aggressive move but could not maneuver his oversized blade quickly enough to counter-act the unarmed figher that had slipped so close to him. Her single attack was swift but well-aimed as she planted the heel of her palm firmly into the center of the leather cuirass that the would-be assassin was wearing causing a small micro-explosion of heat to erupt between them from the chakra infused into the strike. The force of her attack lifted the swordsman up off of his feet and catapulted him into another of the assassins who managed to stay on his feet by deflecting the makeshift projectile that Shizune had made out of his compatriot's body with the flat of his blade in a similar fashion to the way the assassin that Makoto had clobbered with his knife had leveraged his sword to protect himself against the torrent of chakra-made projectiles.

Katsuo's smile widened as Makoto and Shizune arrived on scene but strangely it didn't seem like it was out of any sense of relief. The look on his face was a casual one-- one that said he didn't think he'd been in any danger to start with, he was just glad to see an old acquaintance with which he'd shared an exciting adventure.

"Makoto!" He cried in excitement, his arms going wide as he approached where Makoto was standing-- apparently with the intent of giving him a hug. If Makoto made no attempt to stop him, Katsuo would wrap Makoto in a big bear hug and lift up up off the ground for a moment before setting him back down making it quite clear if it hadn't been from the start that Katsuo was completely unconcerned about the cadre of sword-wielding maniacs that were trying to kill him and especially so now that he had back-up. "Of course I remember you! Hard to forget one of the people that helped resolve the Diamond Maelstrom! How have you been?"

"Lord Tenth." Interjected Shizune as she backed away from where she'd landed and assaulted one of the assassins, blue-white spirit fire licking at her fingertips as she kept her eyes on the remaining swordsmen who seemed to be weighing their options on whether or not to continue the assassination attempt given that two more individuals with competency enough to take out four of their number in the span of a few seconds had just arrived. "Perhaps now is not the best time for reunions?"

Pulled from the excitement of seeing Makoto again by Shizune's rational suggestion, Katsuo snapped back into the moment just in time to catch the moment of the assassins who leaped into action in unison like a pack of wolves. Despite being of relatively weak constitutions for shinobi, the bucket-headed swordsmen would have been relatively dangerous assassins in the world of normal martial arts and criminal organizations and as such they were quicker than perhaps the more easily defeated members of their group would have let on. Blades flashed with surprising precision as the remaining six assassins were suddenly upon the two Sunan shinobi and their ally with the intent of continuing their battle.

Shiruko Makoto

Head Lorekeeper
Staff member
Yen
ASP
Deaths
OOC Rank
S
At least she can fight.

That was a relief; one less person to watch. Which made it zero, since Katsuo appeared uninjured (and, unlike the last time Makoto had seen him, conscious). That meant there was really no point in holding back aside from not using a large, non-standard weapon in fairly close quarters. He checked his knives absently, hoping that no one had noticed he had cast without handseals or channeling. Likely not, but he ought to stick to taijutsu and not push it; activating any form of channeling now would draw attention to the fact he hadn't earlier.

Perhaps he didn't have to be so cautious about that sort of thing here, but it was better to be too careful than not careful enough.

His ruminations were interrupted by Katsuo's cry of recognition. Apparently he wasn't the only one who considered that event significant.

You can be rather ridiculous sometimes. Of course he considers the mission that cleared a terrible danger from his homeland significant.

...Right.

"Er, yes, hello," he said after a beat, forgetting he'd already said that for a second. Social situations, ugh. Sensing impeding physical contact, he attempted an awkward sidestep very much at odds with his previous battle-ready posture, as if the very suggestion of nonviolent contact with other people made him uncomfortable. Which, to be fair, it sort of did. "Sorry, I um. Don't generally like being touched."

Which was why he had melee weapons. But battle didn't count, not really.

At the suggestion of imminent combat again, he glanced back over at the would-be assassins and eyed them critically, knives held loosely at his sides. He could have them up and ready to block or strike faster than a non-ninja could react to with much other than luck anyway, but there were rather a lot of these and even with the three of them this might take a while.

As for losing, that isn't a consideration unless whoever's left is better that the one that got thrown through a vehicle...

"Right, yes, the battle." He spun one knife up and almost casually lifted it to block a blow, leaning into it slightly with his boosted strength. His attacker seemed mildly surprised, but Makoto didn't give him time to think, lashing out with the other blade directly at the tendons on the man's sword arm.

Actually, that might have cut a little more deeply than he was intending. That was a lot of blood.

"I take it you don't want to kill them so that they can be questioned as to who sent them?"

With a thought, a set of four familiar hexagonal blue-green shields sprung up in the air. It was practically reflexive for him to summon these in battles where they might be useful, and Katsuo would certainly recognize this particular skill of his from the mission where they had come significantly in handy.

In this case, however, he was using them offensively and for distraction as well, mentally controlling them to both distract and smack into their enemies. He was, however, careful to keep the sides blunted from what they usually were so that he didn't actually start cutting people open. Unless Katsuo decided it was all right to kill these people, in which case he wouldn't bother and there would probably be limbs falling to the ground shortly thereafter. But Makoto considered it somewhat rude to start killing even enemies in someone else's territory without their say-so.

...That being said, a few of them were definitely overestimating how well their blades did against his simply because their swords were longer than his knives. A definite mistake.

It was a good thing that he didn't mind the sight of blood. It seemed doubtful Katsuo or Shizune did, too.

Mikaboshi

Yen
ASP
Deaths
With only six total remaining assassins, two swords found Katsuo, Makoto and Shizune as the assassins that were still standing partnered up to attempt to overpower their opponents. They didn't speak or even gesture at each other-- it was almost as if they moved together in unison through some unspoken bond or silent communication but the speed with which they moved around in concert with each other made it hard to believe that they were spending any amount of time in preparation despite the tight coordination of the group. The first of the two assassins which came for Makoto came in high with his sword and found it locked in place with one of the Moon shinobi's knives and a retaliatory strike soon to follow that bit deeply into the underside of his forearm sending a spray of blood that-- now that Makoto could see it up closely --did not resemble any sort of blood that he'd ever seen. It was a dark, black color and stank of the acidic armor of formaldehyde. After the first initial gush of ichor-like blood, it began to ooze out like rotten milk... and did not seem to be stopping. Globs of it dripped from the open wound unto the sand where it sizzled for a moment and pooled as the injured swordsman stumbled backwards from Makoto. The second of the assassins that had taken an interest in the Moon shinobi had been right behind the first in his attack but found his sword tip glancing off of the reflective surface of a chakra shield causing him to stumble forward for a moment before recovering his footing a spinning motion and directing an overhand slash towards Makoto at an angle which would evade the shields and strike him if he didn't make an attempt to dodge or deflect the opportunistic strike.

"I don't know what these things are but they definitely aren't human." Katsuo remarked to Makoto in answer to his question.

Similarly to how they had coordinated a strike on Makoto, the other two pairs of assassins similarly approached their other targets. Katsuo, who up to this point had already been squaring off against the group of blade-wielding maniacs and had a feel for their pack tactics by now, knew that the two charging towards him would attack from different directions in rapid succession. One would attack to create an opening and the second would try to exploit that by attacking the gap in their target's defense that appeared as he defended against the first attack. It was a tactic that spoke volumes about their state of mind as fighters. At first Katsuo had just thought them to be zealots-- men who were so devoted to their task that they would risk taking up such hazardous tactics just to land a blow on their opponent but he'd quickly found out that they were much more than that. The first blade came in from a low point looking to force Katsuo's defensive response to go low which meant that the next attack would likely come from on high and as he took a defensive stance Katsuo released a shockwave of magnetic chakra that invisibly rippled through the air affecting the weight of each of the two swords coming in his direction. Without warning for either of the assassins the weight of the first sword was massively increased and the weight of the second massively decreased which threw both of the attacks that were coming in his direction entirely off course giving him enough space to deftly jump over the first and then duck under the second before taking a step forward into the close space between them, reaching to his belt where the hilt of Tatsumasa hung.

Normally Katsuo would never have drawn his sword on a human foe that he thought he stood a chance at beating without it. It was a holy sword forged for the purposes of protecting the weak and banishing evil, not proving his strength against idiots who thought to pick a fight with him but this was not a situation like that. In the span of a single heartbeat Katsuo drew his shining blade and struck several blows against each of the two assassins that had sought to sink their swords into him. He returned the Sword of the King to it's sheath almost as soon as he'd drawn it and as the sound of Tatsumasa's hilt clinking against the metal of it's sheath could be heard each of the two assassins fell to the ground in piles of chunks of meat, leather and metal that were wet with the ichorous blood that pumped through them.

If he hadn't bothered to answer Makoto's question previously, there would be no doubt now with the decisiveness with which the Kazekage dispatched the two assassins. Any question about the morality of putting them to the sword would be put to rest when Katsuo quite literally did just that.

Shizune dispatched her aggressors in an equally efficient manner if less impressive than the Kazekage's. The assassins which engaged her did so in a similar manner as the duos that advanced on Katsuo and Makoto but instead opted for a scissoring attack pattern where in they both advanced from opposite sides as Katsuo and Makoto were occupied with their own opponents. As she addressed the first of the assassins by striking the flat of the sword which was being swung at her with a well placed punch sending it into the dirt, she reached forward and grabbed the assassin by the sword arm and hauled him up over her shoulder in a tremendous physical toss that saw the assassin crashing down into the sand of the construction site on his head and neck where he collapsed into a heap and ceased to move. In any other situation where they weren't fighting an heiress of a powerful shinobi clan, the situation would have played out differently as the second assassin would sunk the steel of his sword through Shizune's exposed back as soon as she attempted to grapple with her first opponent but as he attempted to do just that he felt the body weight of a creature that he could not previously have seen slam into his form and knock him to the ground as razor-sharp teeth sank deeply into his shoulder and began to tear and shake against him. Appearing in a flourish of white spirit-flame was a tremendous wolf easily twice the size of the average desert canines that roamed Wind Country with fur the same blue-white color as the flames that burned around Shizune's fingers and knuckles. Even as Shizune's spirit guardian tore Shizune's would-be attacker to pieces, no sound escaped him save for the tearing of armor and macabre snapping of bones. He didn't scream or beg or shout. He simply died and that was it.

Shiruko Makoto

Head Lorekeeper
Staff member
Yen
ASP
Deaths
OOC Rank
S
Ah, they're zombies. That makes things significantly easier.

Such things occupied an unusual zone in Moon's threat assignment. Makoto was a Warden, and Wardens were trained primarily to fight and deal with other people, whereas Healers typically dealt with disease and injury, and priests and priestesses with demons and other such cursed and unnatural things. There was a lot of back and forth about whether the priests and priestesses or the Wardens were the ones who ought to deal with undead, and the end result was both branches having their own separate training to do so.

Needless to say, any attempted epidemics of reanimated corpses on Moon ended rather rapidly.

While he had technical access to the holy power that the priests and priestesses used to put down zombies, Makoto was still a Warden, and reacted to the incipient attack on him in the way a Warden would. Especially since he was feed from the need to hold back now that he knew these weren't actually people.

(And also that Katsuo was totally fine with just straight up eliminating them; Makoto didn't exactly have inherent objections to eliminating other humans if it was truly needed.)

The Warden approach to dealing with the undead was simple: don't bother holding back.

So when the zombie swordsman slid past his shield, Makoto simply followed his training and sidestepped, bringing one of his heavy knives up to deflect the blow. At the same time, with a thought, the chakra shields lost their blunt edges and became razor sharp and the nearest one slid in at top speed, making to cut right through the would-be assassin while it was temporarily distracted--hopefully cutting it in half, but he could settle for a limb or two if it somehow managed to duck.

"Don't suppose you have any idea who sent them, then." These weren't even the sort that would leave much chakra behind, so tracking the person sending them from that would be rather difficult.

Because of his ease in controlling the remaining shields, Makoto would be keeping an eye out for any blows that needed blocking for any of them, or any sort of an emergency. They did still have to cross physical space so they weren't flawless, but it was certainly better than having no defenses at all. It was one of his most practiced jutsu for a reason, after all.

Lightning crackled on his blades briefly, just long enough for a concentration of it to build up in the air. Without one hand free, he had to rely on channeling for any elemental jutsu. This was also one he was quite practiced in fortunately, ideal for clearing out rubble and other obstacles. Blue sparks built up from his blade, rapidly forming into a blue-white sphere. With a loud bang, a bolt of energy shot out from the sphere at the previously injured zombie that had stumbled back previously, aiming straight for center of mass.

They didn't call a Ninjutsu-heavy fighting style 'crash and bang' in the Wardens for nothing.

It didn't seem as though either of his allies needed the shields; they seemed to have things handled. That didn't mean he was about to dismiss them. Just in case. His shields had come in handy more than a few times before like that, and you couldn't really count out snipers or other long-range attacks for which they would give a split-second advantage for the defenders.

"Seems like we've figured out why your boss wasn't at work today," he said dryly to Shizune as her giant wolf tore apart her aggressor. Makoto then turned to Katsuo and added, "is this a regular occurrence around here, or is today just special? Because the former wouldn't really surprise me at this point, actually."

Seriously. Did ninja villages just not get quiet days, or what?

Mikaboshi

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Katuso didn't respond to Makoto's question about knowing who'd sent the assassins but as Shizune's hound finished it's grisly task, she stopped near it to give it a pat on the side and a quiet whisper of thanks for it's assistance before she turned to regard Makoto who remarked about why Katsuo hadn't come back from one of his regular sojourns into the city. Behind her as she moved past her hound, the spirit wolf followed her with it's eyes for a moment before looking to Makoto and regarding him for a moment before it's physical form dissolved away into blue-white embers as if it had never been there to begin with. Shizune offered no explanation for the bizarre spiritual construct that had come to her aid as he folded her arms across her chest and looked to Makoto before turning a glance to the Kazekage.

"Generally assassination attempts are pretty rare." She replied to Makoto, bearing an expression which seemed to be struggling back and forth between being mad about his disappearance and relief that their leader hadn't been eviscerated by sword-wielding mad men. "That we're aware of, anyway."

Katsuo said nothing and stood completely still while Makoto and Shizune conferred about the aftermath of the fight until suddenly there was a sharp crack like the sound of distant thunder and a blur of motion as Katsuo's hand moved like the strike of a viper and closed his hand around something near Shizune's head. Blood pooled around his fingers and dripped out of the bottom of his closed fist as he uncurled his fingers and dropped a small metal projectile to the ground where it fell to the sand covered in blood, sizzling from heat.

"Don't get comfortable, we're not done yet." Instructed Katsuo as a small plume of steam rose from his hand where the superheated bullet had broken the skin of his palm and subsequently seared the wound shut but if the pain registered for him it didn't show at all on his expression as he craned his neck to look in the direction that the shot had come from.

Two shapes moved from the top of the scaffolding that stood some distance away from them across the construction yard and quickly came to ground level, sending up small curtains of sand from the force of their landing as they came to rest at ground level. Both of them were tall and muscular, wearing what appeared to be full-face masks or helmets and clothed in strange suits that seemed to resemble skin and muscle-fiber rather than any sort of actual armor. From the distance that they stood at, it would be impossible to discern whether or not they were human at all given the strangeness of their outfits but with two legs, two arms and a discernible head it was impossible to rule out that they were just particularly crazy people in suits.

The one on the left was stooped in what almost seemed like a crouch with a tremendous sword slung over it's right shoulder that pulsed with palpably evil energy. The chakra that fell from the erratically pulsing edges of the sword's bizarrely bone-like structure and appearance was that of a sickening cursed nature and registered like a painfully foul odor on the senses of beings like Katsuo and Makoto who were so closely attached to spiritual entities of the opposite alignment. His other arm drooped at his side listlessly giving something of the impression that perhaps it was lame or he couldn't move it but it was impossible to say for sure.

In the center of his tall, almost conical helmet which trailed a sort of fleshy tail from it, a singular eye twitched and rotated as it shifted back and forth from Katsuo to Makoto then to Shizune and then back to Katsuo and so on in a pattern that seemed to shift from moment to moment. Between the two of them the insane cyclopean eye was perhaps the only discernible feature that could be described as a facial feature.

The likely-to-be assassin on on the right stood in contrast to his counterpart with a straight back and an almost noble bearing to the way he stood. His armor was similar to that of the cyclopean one in that it had a muscular almost-flesh visual texture to it as it seemed to stretch and tense in the way that a skin-less muscle structure might as he moved to rest his left hand and forearm on the hilt of a long, curved katana that was sheathed at his side. In his right hand he held a long-barreled pistol-- presumably the weapon that had just been used to fire a shot at Shizune only moments before given the ever-so-slight trail of pitch-dark smoke that issued from the edge of it's barrel.

"I guess I'm not surprised you guys ended up working for the daimyo but I'm disappointed just the same." Scowled Katsuo as he folded his arms across his chest, still ignoring the light wound he'd received on his hand from grabbing the bullet out of the air.

"I'm impressed you remember us at all, Iron Wolf. You certainly seem to have moved up in the world. Too good for us now, huh?"

The voice came from the one holding the pistol with the shifting eye that stopped it's eerie twitching and fixed plainly on Katsuo as he spoke. His voice carried across the construction yard in a crackling and halting cadence as though he were having trouble speaking or was unfamiliar with the words he was using. It almost seemed like he'd forgotten what he was about to say a handful of times during his statement as he spoke before he suddenly recalled it and resumed his thought.

"These two are from a gang of raiders turned half-demons that I've tussled with in the past. After I killed their leader in our first fight they made some deals with the wrong sorts of unsavory spirits and wound up as half-demon... things and started naming themselves after stupid things like cardinal sins. The friendly one is Sloth," Explained Katsuo for the benefit of Makoto who likely was completely lost with the arrival of these two masked attackers. "The quiet one is Wrath... though I'm surprised to see him considering the last time we saw each other he had a sucking chest wound from where I blew his rib cage apart."

There was an audible growl which emanated from Wrath who began to raise his pistol to fire at Katsuo only to be stopped by Sloth's upraised free hand which apparently was not lame at all. His eye shifted from Katsuo to Wrath with a noise that could be described as something similar to the sound that a sponge would make when bring wrung out after being heavily ladened with filth.

"Our orders were only to observe, we're only down here because you couldn't resist shooting at them. If you want to fight then I'm leaving. I'm not getting in trouble because you have a grudge." Barked Sloth with accusation in his voice to which Wrath only grunted-- a response that Sloth seemed to take as an understanding that he didn't care if Sloth left him alone to fight. "Have it your way then."

And with that, Sloth leaped away from the scene of the assassination attempt-- disappearing into the spiderweb of scaffolding overhead. It might have been possible to pursue him if not for the presence of the bandit-turned-demon which had as of yet said nothing but grunts and growls but seemed intent on doing battle just the same. Any attempt to cut off Sloth's escape would be met with a barrage of gun fire from Wrath's strange revolver-like pistol but otherwise he did not move immediately at first almost seeming as though waiting for Katsuo or someone on his side to make the first move.

Shiruko Makoto

Head Lorekeeper
Staff member
Yen
ASP
Deaths
OOC Rank
S
Is she...does she also have...?

Not that that made Makoto feel any more likely to reveal the existence of the phoenix, mind, but if Shizune felt perfectly all right parading an assisting spirit around like that, then perhaps it wasn't such a big deal here. Assuming that was what it was, anyway.

It did not feel like another spirit of my kind to me, but who knows. It's possible it might be one I cannot detect naturally. In which case, it would most likely not be able to detect me.

That's good. It did not chide him on paranoia for thinking so, as it knew his reasons for wanting to keep it secret from other people.

"That's something, at least," he murmured, not bothering yet to sheathe his knives. He was feeling a bit antsy. If it was him running the shambling corpses, he wouldn't expect them to be able to dispatch someone on Katsuo's level, so either these were incompetent assassins, or that was a distraction of some kind. Odds were balanced in favour of the latter.

A small smile curled at the edge of his expression before he smoothed it out; it was in response to being proved right, but given that Shizune had nearly been hit and he wasn't exactly the world's best healer, it might have been taken badly.

He did at least still have two shields active, so those two were able to clip in and ensure the three of them took no spray from the sand, fortunately without dispersing. Belatedly he realized his facility with that particular jutsu might not have been common, but it also wasn't exactly tied to any sort of extra skill or hidden talent, so he dismissed the worry as he let the shields fall back to the sides of the impromptu battlefield.

Even through the obscured sight though, it was early painfully easy to detect that unpleasant sense. An image of a mottled-grey monster with skittering insect legs flashed into his head, the last time he'd faced something that felt similar--but this sense was sharper somehow, even though he didn't think it had to do with power levels at all.

It is because you are aligned as well. That other creature in your memory, that strange demon hybrid? It was simply so full of dark energy that anyone could tell. He could almost see the phoenix standing with its wings spread, tensed for take-off or a fight. I would highly recommend summoning some of my energy as a protective measure.

...Would it be obvious?

A noticeable 'silence' and then, Yes.

Let's table that for now, then.

Was there another way to call on that energy that wasn't noticeable? Probably not, for the moment anyway. Which could be problematic, if it really would help in combat with that...person. Entity. Whatever. He was a little bit on the liberal side when it came to designating beings as people; if it happened to think and identify itself then it was ahead of roughly two-thirds of humans he'd ever met anyway, so that gave it a leg up. Not that that...thing...seemed particularly keen on talking, so the thinking part was also up in the air.

The other one might not be human either, given that voice, but then he had quasi-adopted a spirit girl, had a bird spirit living in his head, and regularly hung around multiple people of dubious and vaguely non-human-ness, so who was he to judge or care on that regard.

"Deals with spirits, hm?" Makoto probably couldn't be faulted for his incredibly neutral expression. "That's not exactly something I'm unfamiliar with. Although the previous demon hybrid I fought had a lot more legs than that..."

Maybe that skittering demon chimera thing was an apt comparison here after all.

Deal with the other one at probably some other future juncture. I suppose this affair sort of forces my hand, but at least they probably don't know where I'm from...well, they might. Bother. Will definitely have to deal with him eventually. And probably his friends.

And that aura put Makoto in a rough spot. His options were to fight sub-optimally--something which he detested--or reveal the phoenix--something which was undesirable.

A question. Why did you agree to accept my power if you weren't planning on ever using it?

That...was a good point. He had in mind, at the time, using it. And in most cases, that would require people seeing him use it. A glowing silver aura and great shining wings weren't exactly subtle. He hadn't expected subtlety, either.

What were the odds the Shrine would hear if he displayed Jinchuuriki power in a foreign country, when all of their direct agents were either part of his clan or inclined toward it? Still pretty good, actually. Assuming anyone ever heard of this.

But it was never wise to underestimate anyone, and if it was more optimal in battle to be borrowing the phoenix's power, then oughtn't he to do it?

"I'm guessing he doesn't want to talk," Makoto noted dryly. "I'm guessing that has something to do with you blowing his chest open. That sort of thing seems to make people less chatty."

The aura that flared around him wasn't the silver of the pure phoenix's power, but rather his own blue-green with a silvery tint to it. It ought to still give him that same sort of protection of that power, but that might not be externally obvious if you didn't know what you were looking at. It seemed safest. That aura also slid across his knives, meaning that energy would infuse and damage anyone he struck.

"How dangerous is he, by the way?" Meaning, how serious do I have to be.

The two remaining shields had acquired that silver tint as well, so Makoto felt all right about sliding one into the cyclops's peripheral vision, hopefully giving him a target as a distraction, and possibly even a harmful surface to ding himself against if Makoto turned the shield quickly enough.

Mikaboshi

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Wrath squared his footing and his hands came to rest, one over another, on the hilt of his still sheathed sword as he seemed to wait for one of this three chosen opponents to make the first move. It was a confident, mocking gesture meant to show that he didn't think that he needed to seize the opportunity of a first strike against any of them. He was assured enough in the power that he possessed to give them, in essence, a free shot against him. Either that or it was a trap intended to lure them in close for an attack. Katsuo was no stranger to quick draw techniques having studied Battoujutsu under his mother for several years and knew the speed with which a skilled swordsman could go from a completely relaxed stance to a swinging guillotine perfectly well. He had a number of techniques himself that could produce such a result and so he was cautious about diving directly into Wrath without understanding the situation fully.

"How dangerous is he, by the way?"

Katsuo didn't respond at first because he wasn't sure exactly how to respond. He'd fought these guys before, the self-proclaimed "Black Knights", even after their transformation into half-demons and at that time they'd barely been what he'd consider a C-Rank threat. Katsuo had learned a considerable amount about not just his own abilities but learned a great deal of skills as well and become much more powerful than he'd ever been as the Iron Wolf. Could Wrath be the same? After all, he'd been dead the last time that Katsuo had seen him.

"Not sure. There's something wrong about this... they used to prefer fighting in groups..." He responded, his eyes searching the surroundings as much as he could without taking his focus off of Wrath. In occasions where he'd fought them before the Black Knights had always chosen to fight him two or three on one. Why then did Sloth just... leave? He said something about orders but that particular part of the interaction was far from Katsuo's mind at the moment. He was too preoccupied trying to comprehend the inconsistencies behind this encounter when compared with what he'd known about them from the past.

DONE WAITING.

Katsuo had forgotten the eerie way that Wrath communicated. It wasn't physical speech but rather a collection of sentiment that collected in his mind and his brain translated into words. He'd never really understood how the half-breed managed to do it but it was unsettling to say the least.

DIE NOW.

Apparently at the end of his patience with the cautiousness of his opponents, Wrath let his hands fall to his side and lowered his helmeted head slightly as the wind around them began to pick up before suddenly changing in direction, blowing directly away from where Wrath was standing. He didn't come any closer to them but the construction yard was suddenly filled with his physical and spiritual presence as a crushing tide of his demonic presence washed through the trio of fighters that he was facing. The first wave was a physical weight as though a sudden and heavy downpour of rain had begun falling on them. It soaked through their clothing and into their bodies, threatening to force them to the ground and break their will. [Devastating Aura (Master Rank)] The second wave was much more insidious-- it rode upon the psychological undercurrent of the first wave and cut straight through to their minds, attempting to grip them in a crushing fear that would restrict their movements and prevent them from moving [The Reaper's Gaze (Master Rank)]. Both Katsuo and Makoto were experienced enough shinobi that they'd both likely encountered techniques like these before on their own but the way they were compressed together into a single blast of unholy chakra was noteworthy in itself.

Fighting through the oppressive weight of Wrath's opening attack, Katsuo spared his two companions a look of concern and regardless of how Makoto was making out he would never get that far. While Katsuo was experienced with supernatural attacks like these, especially in the case of the supernatural fear auras that demon-kin usually wielded, the same could not be said for Shizune. Before she could even scream, the sound was stolen from her throat as the first wave blasted her to her knees and the second froze her there. Sweat ran freely down her face and neck as her chest heaved trying to draw in breath that simply would not come. Quickly unslinging Tatsumasa from his shoulder, Katsuo grabbed Shizune's hand which was clutching at her chest impotently and thrust the holy blade into her grasp, passing a measure of protection from Wrath's attack from himself to her. The effect was immediate as breath rushed into her aching lungs and as the panic subsided she realized that the Kazekage had just disarmed himself to protect her.

"Don't talk. Just breathe. Keep Tatsumasa close and she'll protect you." He said as he got to his feet and looked to Makoto to see if the Moon diplomat had made it through the ordeal himself.

Current Ninpocho Chronicles Time:

Back