Ninpocho Chronicles

Ninpocho Chronicles is a fantasy-ish setting storyline, set in an alternate universe World of Ninjas, where the Naruto and Boruto series take place. This means that none of the canon characters exists, or existed here.

Each ninja starts from the bottom and start their training as an Academy Student. From there they develop abilities akin to that of demigods as they grow in age and experience.

Along the way they gain new friends (or enemies), take on jobs and complete contracts and missions for their respective villages where their training and skill will be tested to their limits.

The sky is the limit as the blank page you see before you can be filled with countless of adventures with your character in the game.

This is Ninpocho Chronicles.

Current Ninpocho Chronicles Time:

[Infernal Prisoner] The Wise Shall Inherit Glory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Santaru Rin

Yen
ASP
Deaths
The Wise Shall Inherit Glory said:
Details: Word has come that a cult has found a potent weapon. It must be taken from them at all costs, but they need not know who has stolen from them. The ANBU Sennin requires this done swiftly and discreetly. A briefing will be provided to the mission recipient. Retrieval of these items is a matter of national security.

Member: Takaki Masao

The train wound its way through the foothills, leaving behind the autumn snows of Kumogakure for the frost-bitten fields of the lower country. With the other passengers dispersed to other cars, Takaki Masao was free to peruse at last the folio Takayama had given him. The painting of the sword with and without its sheath was, putting aside the nice visual, of questionable value. Fortunately it was stapled to a set of specifications providing the length, approximate mass, and a few guesses as to the nature of the blade's steel. An additional list, that of smithies that might be able to provide some assistance in a pinch, was folded into the folio. Of course his wife knew his particular predilections...

The next page was a street-level map of the capital, with a few lightly-inked routes traced between the train station and the speakeasy. The Cabal had been an indulgent bunch of dilettantes during its heyday. This new version had apparently seen little reason to change. If there had not been so much chaos, the cult would have probably already been burnt out of its new boltholes already. Additional sites in the speakeasy's vicinity were marked with the Kumo ANBU pick-up and disposal dead drops symbols, a system created by the Regent Commander and shared with the Main Branch.

A second map provided a floor plan and a cross sectional view of the complex--the Crane Club occupied a complex formerly owned by the Chaya family, which had recently gone bankrupt. The building itself was two floors and a cellar. The first floor was organized into various stages, where patrons could view a show in exchange for a fee, and were served free beverages and other services in contravention of sin taxes. The upper floor was for private rooms. The cellar was the most direct shot at the cistern.

The cistern had been a private project for the last head of the Chaya family. He had gone mad, as the whole capital knew, and thought that the city's water source was being poisoned specifically to target him and his family. To secure safe drinking water, he had a cistern dug beneath the compound. Between the expenses incurred in shoring up the land and his boundless thirst for an even greater private reservoir, Chaya's project steadily consumed the family's money. Combined with the naval blockade and growing piracy around the coast, the family trade business was no longer able to make good on bills and assets were grudgingly sold off.

As far as such things went, the cistern was a marvel of engineering. Chaya's specifications meant that only traditional materials could be used in the construction, and his fear of poisoning required sophisticated filtering. The plans included in the folio, though, betrayed another purpose for the cistern: a second layer had been built under the first, and sections were sealed to keep water out. These areas were passable and even habitable. Several vaults were linked by sealed passages. The lowest of these was the present location of the sword.

The capital was still subject to rolling blackouts, but violence within the operations sector had been suppressed by a coalition of merchant guards and hired mercenaries. Certain war hazards existed, but otherwise, life continued almost as normal in that district, with the exception of persistent shortages.

The next bit in the folio was simply a wax-sealed envelope, already opened. The seal was an impression of a crane, of course. Inside was a standard invitation on linen-textured paper. The invitation's actual provenance was anyone's guess. It did, however, provide entrance for a Tsukiyama Akihiro. The next leaf was a bank note. Attached with a static jutsu was the suggestion that Masao purchase an appropriate suit for the occasion, as well as a respectable gentleman's sword. It seemed that anyone who looked the part and could flash the invitation was welcome through the front doors.

The train squealed and lurched to its final stop in Raidennomenoshi. At least the trains were still running on time.

Takaki Saeko

Yen
ASP
Deaths
As the train rolled into the Grand Station of Raiden no Me at daybreak on a palanquin of sulfurous steam, the Vice Commander finally shut the folio, gently replacing it in the inner folds of his overcoat. The conductor’s whistle pierced the air, signaling that this was the end of the line, and the shuffle of humanity started again as the other passengers departed. It had been a while since he had come here – the last time had been on a private security gig that had ended rather strangely, to say the least. There was a chill in the air as he stepped onto the concrete platform, covered in its roof of elegantly-wrought glass and metal from another age.

The first priority was to prepare adequately – unlike some other missions, this one had no true immediacy to it. He could plan, take his time, and really scope the situation out. The Cabal might move the blade in question to another location in a few days or another month if he decided to tarry unreasonably, but for now they seemed to be satisfied with its current, well-protected location. But in the meantime, he would at least get comfortable, in the style to which he was accustomed. The bank note he had been provided was adequate to purchase appropriate formalwear along with a moderately-priced wakizashi for display, and still afford a stay at a middling-class suite on the outskirts of the Capitol. Stingy, dearest he thought, chuckling to himself. Fortunately, he had his own funds to draw on. He took out his flip-phone now and placed some calls.
Later

“Hakama or tuxedo, milord?” asked the tailor, clearly enthused at the prospect of being paid a very handsome sum to make a bespoke garment – enough to cancel work on all other projects that day so that the suit could be delivered to the client’s hotel suite that evening.

“Tux. Shawl-style lapel, satin buttons. Make sure I can access a hold-out piece under the left shoulder,” said Masao, holding his arms out as the tailor deftly began to measure his important dimensions, marking down the figures on a nearby piece of chalkboard.

“Very good, milord. It will be delivered to your lodging tonight.”
Across Town

“I need you to make this. And to burn these,” said Masao, showing the smith the painting of the sword along with its specifications.

“That can certainly be done, sir,” said the smith, accepting the documents. After a brief scan by the man’s soot-encircled eyes, he cast the papers into the hearthfire, where they shriveled, blackened, and vanished.

“Also, a gentleman’s sidesword, anything off the wall is fine,” said Masao, motioning to a rack of gleaming, ornately-engraved wakizashi.

“Will a Glock suffice, sir?”

“Hmm. Too blocky. Make it a Sig.”
The Imperial Dragon Hotel, Top Penthouse
"Komodo Dragon" by Thomas Newman

Evening

Raiden no Me glowed and hummed at night with the ongoing energy of its million inhabitants who struggled for survival, wealth, and power, its buildings painted amorphously with the soft warmth of suspended lanterns, and its streets illuminated in whitish aura with metal light posts now fed by clean-burning natural gas instead of kerosene, which would blacken the skies with soot and smog until recently. It did not have the skyscrapers and ostentatious neon advertisements littering the skyscape like in Port Cirrus or NeoKonoha, lending a more peaceful, elegant feel to the nightlife than could be found in most other places. At the crest of the hill that the city surrounded, the Shogun’s palace fortress loomed over all, its impassable red turreted walls gleaming under spotlights.

The Imperial Dragon Hotel, as one of the swankiest establishments in the city, commanded top price not only due to its lavish furnishings and palatial suites and penthouses, but also because of its close location to the palace. Real estate, and taxes, tended to skyrocket the closer one located a business to the city’s center. Nearby, other famous landmarks and tourist destinations stood out, such as the Imperial Diet, where the Council of Nobles assembled, and the Grand Temple of Raiden. From the top floor of the building, Masao languidly gazed over the iridescent cityscape, hands folded behind his head rested on a down pillow.

“What did you find out about Tsukiyama Akihiro, Haruka?” he asked the woman laying next to him on the nearly room-sized, silk-sheeted bed. The woman yawned slightly, stretching her arms over her head before turning onto her side and resting on an elbow to face him. A strap from the diaphanous negligee she wore slipped off her shoulder.

“A team of Main Branch found him hanging inside his own bedroom closet a month ago while investigating him for Cabal activity. It was his own belt around his neck, and the inside of the closet was plastered with hentai. From all accounts, it looked self-inflicted and obviously accidental. Of course, the Main had one of their deep cover agents immediately take his place, so there’s been no interruption in his daily schedule,” she said, shrugging.

“I always wonder how much it takes to cover something like that up when the maid or butler finds the end result,” said Masao, sighing.

“Not as much as you might think, I’m told. Anyway, the basic details are that he had inherited stakes in multiple holding companies at a young age and basically lived lavishly off the interest and dividend payments. He was essentially useless, and of course, his money attracted the attention of the Cabal, who were able to sucker him into joining easily.” She now straddled him at the waist, placing her hands on his chest and enjoying the sensation.

“Do you really have to do this?” asked Masao, rolling his eyes. “I don’t recall giving you permission to flop down beside me.”

“Look, you called me away from my only day off in Kumo, to do research. So I’m going to enjoy myself here, on your dime!” she said, giggling as she lowered her face, her lips only millimeters from his, and the warmth of her breath on his chin. Gently, she started to brush her lips against the side of his neck and lobe of his ear nibbling slightly at the soft flesh as she started to gyrate her hips against his.

“Just don’t rack the bill up too much,” said Masao, rolling his eyes and abruptly shoving her off to the side.

“Jesus Saito, you’re never any fun,” said Captain Morishima Haruka, cracking a grin.

“My wife is also psychotically jealous. Besides, don’t you want to get into agent Hoshiko’s pantsu, anyway? I know your MO,” said Masao, pulling on a clean linen dress shirt now, buttoning it and fastening the cufflinks with practiced ease. He slipped the holstered crossbolter on now, which rested neatly under his left arm.

“She’s very damaged. I have to take my time with her, you know?” said Haruka, now pounding back a glass of champagne as she strolled around the room, enjoying the feel of the fur carpets on her bare feet.

“Just because the Regent Commander officially lifted the fraternization rules, doesn’t mean you can swoop in on the first vulnerable girl I assign to the squad,” responded Masao, now pulling the tuxedo jacket over his shirt and fastening the black silk bowtie. He regarded himself in the mirror. The tailor had been a good recommendation – the suit felt like wearing nothing at all, affording complete mobility and maneuverability. Drawing his weapon from concealment would be easy. He now moved to two wrapped, sword-shaped packages on a nearby dresser. Unwrapping both of them, he strapped one to his side, the other disappearing into a small scroll he had prepared for this purpose. The scroll, along with the invitation for the now-revealed-to-be-dead Tsukiyama, found their way into a breast pocket. With that, he was ready.

“Oh, I’ll be gentle,” said Haruka. “That reminds me, I need more champagne.”
Approach to the Crane Club

Ostentatiously, the Crane Club was surrounded by water, located in the middle of a small, man-made lake to make the building live up to its namesake. Amidst a crowd of many floating lanterns, a gondola now cut through the shallow water, its pilot pushing it along with a traditional pole. Masao stood at the fore, his face inscrutable as the small boat now pulled up to a pair of wooden decks. Stepping off the boat, he made his way up a series of stairs, past intoxicated groups of socialites and minor nobility in eveningwear, to the club’s entrance. Carefully, he pulled out his invitation, showing it to the servant at the door.

Santaru Rin

Yen
ASP
Deaths
The servant, a graceful Hijin, took the invitation with both hands, opened it, and reviewed it before returning it. A heavy set, suited man at her left produced a list for her; she scanned it before looking at Masao and smiling. She bowed with a flourish. "Welcome, esteemed Tsukiyama-dono, to our humble establishment! We hope that you enjoy your stay here. All drinks and pleasures of the flesh are free with the shows. Please, enter and be welcome!"

A veritable phalanx of servitors were bowing in the guests, backed by a file of stoic guards in black. Sartorial laws were being broken like so many glasses thrown to the floor. The wealth on display here was so overwhelming as to be nauseating.

The interior of the manor was surprisingly open. Various pierced screens were used to section off areas and provide focal areas, such as around a raised platform where underdressed women gyrated with oversized serpents, and another podium where a three piece set played ebullient chamber music. A large, octagonal bar dominated the center of the level. Several servers were satisfying the partiers' thirst for 'free' top shelf liquor... And was that liquor ever flowing--beautiful pours of imported bubblies, overflowing masu of Kaminari-shu, jewel toned liqueurs, the scent of brine, citrus, and plum--mingled with the bouquet of the underlying sandalwood incense and the sharp tang of human sweat, the overall effect was intoxicating and made the heart beat faster.

Thus the expanding appetites of those present could come of no surprise.

Further from the entrance and edged by tables of observers was a sunken fighting pit with a floor covered in sand. The fight there was only barely audible over the general human hubbub. Another screened off zone seemed, from the clink of coin, to host gambling--an illegal pastime, to be sure--and had its own bar and beautiful servants.

A woman in red approached Masao and casually linked arms with him. "So, handsome, why don't you buy me a drink?"

Takaki Saeko

Yen
ASP
Deaths

As the woman’s arm entwined with his own, he fixed a confident smile at her. The smile of a man used to power and control, for whom a pretty woman showing interest was an expected event, and not simply the good fortune of “getting lucky.”

“I think you should buy me one,” he quipped in response, prompting his new companion to laugh in a lilting tone as they walked together to a bar whose seats oversaw the main fighting pit. At once, he knew who she was. Not her name, but rather, her role in the Crane Club. On the surface, she would provide him with alcohol, drugs, conversation, and flirtation. And if he wanted to, he would be able to take her upstairs to one of the various private suites and have his way with her, and that she was further expected to enthusiastically participate in any number of strange perversions and fetishes that the male and female visitors to the Crane could demand satisfaction for. Of course, should he desire to inflict violence on the object of his lust, as was the case for a certain subset of men whose warped desires led down darker paths, there was a separate area for that as well, well-hidden of course, with a different group of unfortunates ready for abuse and possibly slaughter. All of the proceedings of course, recorded and kept meticulously sorted in a blackmail file for each and every individual who could afford to pay the entry fee.

But the even more important purpose she fulfilled was to keep her eyes on his every move. For her eyes were the Cabal’s eyes. Most likely she was not a true follower of the Hitokage – most of the patrons, as well as a large part of the staff, had no idea what sort of organization pulled the strings behind this vulgar display of wealth and human excess. The true believers were likely the owner, along with the senior management in their private chamber overseeing the place, as well as the more elite security who doubtless guarded the entrances to the actual cistern. The kanji tattoo on her wrist indicated that this woman was a slave, albeit an extremely valuable and highly-trained one, originally owned and trained by one of the great houses of the Willow World, her contract and very life now bought by the Crane Club’s management. She was also well-guarded, as evidenced by the three heavyset men in tuxedos who maintained a seemingly nonchalant distance from her, but whose swagger and stances identified them as obvious ex-military. Masao smiled to himself as he glimpsed the subtle printing of their pistol crossbolters under their cummerbunds.

“I’ll have the usual. And for her as well,” he said to the female bartender, who was dressed in a silken cheong-sam with dyed-white hair cut into a fashionable bob. The woman started to mix up what looked like a martini, shaking it and pouring it into glasses which she handed to him. He in turn slid a thousand-yen note back to her, for which she thanked him with a deep bow.

“I haven’t asked your name yet,” he now said to his companion as they both took seats at the bar, noting her limpid green eyes and delicate, exotic face with upturned nose and full lips, for which she had likely selected at an early age from the orphanages by the Willow World’s scouts.

“Asako,” she said, taking a small, measured sip of her drink in concert with him, mirroring his actions.

“You’re a half-Kaminarijin, aren’t you?” he asked, gently.

“My surname is Ilyanovich, Tsukiyama-sama,” she replied, after a moment’s hesitation, still keeping a smile on her face.

“From the West, I see. I think it makes you quite beautiful. But I have no doubt that you have undergone hardship as a result of this in the past. You’re an orphan, right?” he asked, looking into her eyes. Asako averted hers for a second, before refocusing on his.

“And you aren’t…Tsukiyama-sama, are you?” she said in a low voice, to which he subtly shook his head. “Who are you, and what are you doing here?” she purred, still keeping a smile on her face.

“I’ve come to take something from the owners of this Club. Something that they do not want me to take,” he replied to her, cracking a hint of a smile. Her eyes widened for a split second before she regained her composure.

“You know that I am obligated to report your presence here to the management, right? And that the three men trailing us are going to kill you as soon as I leave this seat?” she asked, her expression still flirtatious, but her hands trembling slightly.

“I also know that you live every day in fear, and that you realize that one day, you too will be sent downstairs to that chamber where the patrons don’t have to play nice,” he replied, sipping his drink.

“What do you know about fear?” she asked, anger flashing briefly in her eyes. His gaze met hers again, this time icy.

Everything.

“What do you want from me?” she asked now, gritting her teeth.

“I offer a trade. You guide to an area where I can slip into the bottom cistern undetected, and I in turn give you your ownership papers which are locked in the senior management office overseeing the floor,” he said. Her eyes flashed in realization of what was being offered – the chance to break free of her slavery. For no matter how glamorous a slave’s life was, her life always belonged to the whims and fancy of her owners, and when she eventually grew older and less attractive, that her life would be easily discarded to make a few more yen for them.

“Are you sure you can do it?!” she hissed. “We’ve had Bakufuu Security Agency and Imperial Army operatives here before. They failed.”

“I am a shinobi. A. N. B. U. You know exactly what that means, Asako-san,” he said, setting his drink on the bar. For a split second, his eyes flashed the rippled doujutsu at hers – something he rarely did. She breathed slowly, fighting nerves.

“I will take you to one of the private rooms that I know is not being recorded. From there, you will find an entrance to the maintenance area, which leads to the cistern. That is all I know about the place,” she said, taking him by the hand. Under the watchful eyes of her guards, Masao and Asako strolled casually toward the second level of the Crane club, up a winding staircase edged with delicate iron filigree. Past a set of red velvet curtains, only courtesans and their clients were allowed to pass, although their guards waited vigilantly outside the entrance. Inside, soft lantern light cast a golden glow on a small hallway lined with elegant-looking doors which opened to chambers containing a bed, small nightstand, and a wardrobe full no doubt with various toys, harnesses, and restraints. The pair went to the farthest doorway and slipped into the chamber. Once inside, Asako went to the far wall across from the rose-petal-strewn bed and started to inspect the wall. Finding purchase with her fingers, she now pulled, opening a swing-out section of wall, behind which there was a small, dingy room with a chair and videocamera mounted on a tripod.

“Here’s the recording room. Beyond the door inside leads to the maintenance area. There are security men inside, as well as other servants and workers with management. You’re on your own now. Make good on your word, or the last thing I do alive will be to rat you out, shinobi,” she said, giving him a quick kiss on the lips. He nodded to her and slipped into the recording chamber, after which she shut the wall, leaving him alone now. Pressing his ear to the door, he allowed his chakra to reach out beyond the closed door, sensing for life presences beyond. Detecting none, he carefully opened the door and slipped into the dank maintenance corridor. The Cistern was now within reach. He had to act carefully now, blending in with the shadows. The objective here was to slip in and out undetected, preferably without any contact with the Cabal. Killing or subduing one of their number was undesirable, unless he could make it seem like an accident and hide the body well.

Santaru Ryuuto had once fought the Cabal, incurring the wrath of their master on the village itself. The demon invasion had left indelible scars on an entire generation of Kumogakure, some of which Masao himself bore. Over a quarter century later, he was in enemy territory, continuing the fight.

Santaru Rin

Yen
ASP
Deaths

Men who have made part of their habits the studious paths and rituals of order have little taste for the unreflective passions of the masses. These men, for whom lawful action and the values protected by law are both ends more than means, elevate themselves above their less-refined brothers, and become a class apart. In this self-imposed isolation, they forget what life means for their brothers, and forget, too, that these are also men, and that they also feel and know desire. Many paths await the elevated class. Some mind only matters of faith and intellect. Others concern themselves with great works. The final class kill--because even the least of their brethren are more interesting prey than any dumb beast.

Masao minced down the winding staircase, shrouded by darkness. Any sound would bound and rebound from the masonry, betraying his presence. Caution was required if he wished to pull off his master plan. The stone walls grew damp the further down he went, until at last he arrived at a landing. Here was a door; the cistern proper, which presented two alternative routes for infiltration--a second access stair and the main elevator. The stairwell Masao presently occupied was almost certainly a tertiary entrance. Unless Ilyanovich had betrayed him already, this route presented the best chance of a quiet infiltration. Masao's hand hovered at the latch, then fell back to his side.

He continued down. The sussuration of moving water, the occasional kiss of dripping condensation, and the constant sighing of wind through the passage provided a buffer for the hiss of sole on rock tread. The stink of mildew grew fierce as he descended. The wet cold sank into his bones like Yuki's scalpels. Despite Karubin's medical magic, Takaki Masao was still a man on the wrong side of forty in the line of duty meant for a far younger body.

What was the point of the Hitokage cult at this point? The old leadership had been entirely eradicated. The attempted resurrection of the Hitokage had failed. His best lieutenants had been routed. One had even been bought off entirely, proving that there were cracks in the loyalty of the hellish legions. The Shogun had died without an heir as a result, and the nation smouldered now in preparation for further hostilities to break out between Ryuu and Ami and the rest. If the cult were just some debased entertainment like the speakeasy above suggested, then Rin would not have ordered the mission, no matter what depravities were inflicted on the lesser denizens of the capital.

The stairwell ended at last. The wooden door was swollen; it would creak when pulled. Beyond, according to the plans from the folio, was a simple perpendicular corridor extending both ways. There were several rooms which led to even more passages, but Masao's aim was relatively simple. The sword room had but one approach. He had to cut through the third chamber on the opposite side of the hall, to his current left. The next corridor led past several more rooms and finally to the vault where the prize was kept. He had only to avoid being caught.

Takaki Saeko

Yen
ASP
Deaths
I have only a little time, he thought to himself darkly as he silently padded down the soft steps despite the hard-soled, patent leather shoes that he wore that wanted to give off loud clicking sounds with every footfall. The trick to noiseless movement was to absorb the impact with one’s knees – something that a younger agent like the Ouja or Asazaki boy could do all day without consequence, but he could not. Briefly, he rubbed at his sore joints before carrying on. For how long could he do this before he inevitably failed on a mission? Before something strained or popped due to wear and tear and gave an enemy agent thirty years younger the window needed to plunge a blade into his throat or land a bolt in the base of his skull? Hyaluronic acid injections and stem cell grafting at the Aesculapium were a temporary fix at best. There were only a few more adventures left for him before he too, would fade into the footnotes of Cloud history.

He briefly peeked through the wooden door using its tiny, barred window at eye-height. So far, no obvious signs of habitation. While it was true that his cutting a deal with the woman in the casino had probably netted him the quietest of all means to infiltrate the inner sanctum within the cistern, it was still surprising that he had not encountered any roving patrols or even scurrying minions of the Cabal down here. It either meant that they were lying in wait to ambush him, that they had already abandoned this place, or that security was indeed lax here since it was unreasonable to otherwise expect most non-shinobi to gain access so easily. According to the blueprints of the cistern, the sword room had a relatively straightforward path, unlike the heavily-trapped and maze-like Shinbatsu temples that his son and he had explored together in their younger days. Whether or not it was truly irresponsible parenting to take an eight-year-old into an ancient underground death grotto searching for the Black God’s artifacts was irrelevant, as the same standards did not apply to shinobi parents (hopefully). He pressured the door gently with one hand…

Only to stop immediately as the wood began to let out the beginning of a whisper of a creak. This was a problem – a loud noise created by the opening of this door would undoubtedly attract attention. He drew back against the adjoining wall, thinking. The wood was likely swollen in its jamb due to increased humidity underground, seeing as he was likely fifty meters under a man-made aquifer. He had several options – one was to set up a barrier or sorts around the area, which would hopefully drown out the noise. The problem was that the types of barriers that did that were expensive to maintain and might attract more attention from Cabal members sensitive to chakra signatures. Another was to use a galvanic jutsu to attempt to remove the door entirely from its hinges, preventing it from having to swing. The downside was that it would be difficult to replace the door, leading to increased suspicion from the cabal that someone had infiltrated their lair. The third option was to use a passive heating jutsu to slowly dry the entire door, shrinking it down by a millimeter in all dimensions, and allowing quiet manipulation. Such a course of action would leave no trace of his presence, but would take far too long to accomplish. He had no idea how long Asako would wait in that room before she was summoned by her masters, or decide that he had failed and report his presence, hoping for some clemency for herself. There was a fourth option…

Shrugging, he now walked up to the door and simply pushed it open. As predicted, the squeal of wet wood scraping against smooth stone reverberated down the halls as he bounded through. He closed it behind him quickly, and now shimmied up against a section of wall shrouded in darkness and shadow. As an extra piece of insurance, he now utilized a transparency jutsu that would further make him hard to spot, akin to trying to find a black cat burrowed in a pile of dark laundry at night. It was an old trick taught in the Officio Assassinorum to all aspiring shinobi hitmen – create a minor and plausible disturbance, hide nearby, and determine how serious the enemy’s response was and in what numbers. One learned a lot about the approach needed to one’s target based on whether a broken bottle in a corner summoned a heavily-armed kill squad, a disinterested security guard who only wanted to get back to listening to the game on the radio, or nothing at all (the most concerning response, actually).

He breathed slowly, through an open mouth. Now was the time to be patient and observe.

Santaru Rin

Yen
ASP
Deaths
The sconces here provided fitful, dim torchlight. Many had gone out, and some were down to sullen coals.

"Saru, is that you?" an elder, male voice splentically whined. A door creaked somewhere down the hall, but no one emerged to look for this "Saru" when there was no answer.

Free to pursue his own devices, Masao compared the layout of the floor to his memory of ANBU intelligence. Nothing about his current location differed from the provided map. The constant background drip of small leaks and the asthmatic wheeze of air being pushed through the tunnels provided adequate cover from soft, incidental noises. The poor lighting helped soften edges and conceal shady lurkers like himself. These conditions worked both ways, helping and hindering, though his skills turned the setting into an advantage against the unwitting defenders.

The privileged learning to which a shinobi devotes himself elevates him to a class apart from society, and they compose a unique body in the military sphere. Existing neither in the traditional chain of command, nor as freelance mercenaries, the shinobi of hidden villages possess a power which constantly appears to unformed minds as superiority. The shinobi are masters of a science which is necessary yet generally unknown; they serve as arbiters between the powers; and the practice of directing the avarice of others into the purpose of the village inspires shinobi with a certain contempt of the multitude.

The Vice Commander edged along the wall. One door, closed. He crossed silently. The second door, open. Glancing in, he saw dozens of nude, grey-faced women mutely meditating on the heart chakra in concentric circles. Their unreflecting, dark eyes were open, yet none moved as he passed on.

The third room was blessedly empty and the door stood half-open. Slipping in as naught but a whisper, he analyzed the score of second-hand, stirruped exam tables in a flash and passed the trays of suggestive medical devices. A makeshift shrine to a grey stone abomination overlooked the scene from a wall-mounted shelf. On the other side was a closed, locked door.

Takaki Saeko

Yen
ASP
Deaths
No, this is Patrick, thought Masao to himself somewhat sardonically in response to the quavering, elderly-sounding voice that was the only response to the rather suspicious diversion he had created. Still, the lack of heavily-armed goons patrolling the place was a blessing, rather than a curse, as some young, dumb shinobi wanting action might believe. It meant fewer traces of his presence, and a cult that knew less was less dangerous to others in the future. Rin always had a plan that extended far beyond one-time forays. She played deadly premonitions like dice, betting the lives of those under her command like so many gambling chips in a poker game against evil lurking in the shadows.

After a few more seconds, he was able to move again, creeping against the walls and shifting from cover to cover. Darting by the open door to the room with the silent, gray-hued pregnant women sitting in thrall to some eldritch compulsion, he had to tamp down the urge to investigate. Knowing demons and their dealings with humans, it was likely as horrible a situation as he could imagine. Half-demon fetuses developed within those blighted wombs, readying themselves to burst out of the abdomens of their human-shaped incubators in a spray of warm gore and contribute to the legions that were slowly rebuilding their number for another assault on Kumo. Sure, he could simply walk in and slay the unfortunates, but this was not his mission. Similarly, the empty room that served as the gynecologic clinic from Hell was probably the site of untold evils and atrocities, but what purpose would it really serve to tarry here longer? Seconds of delay would lead to more of a chance of discovery, and that meant that a future operative would die.

Sighing to himself, he cast a look around before beginning the pick the lock of the closed and final door. Fortunately, this was a simple tumbler apparatus – the most basic of lock types that all shinobi were trained to deal with. Even an academy student was expected to defeat a single-cylinder padlock using only a hairpin and street bristle. ANBU and specially-trained Main Branch were expected to be able to tackle advanced multi-tumbler and even RFID or electronic devices as well. With a final twist, he carefully pushed the door open. The Sword was close.

Santaru Rin

Yen
ASP
Deaths
The easy ride had come to an end. Down the hall, in the direction he had to go, came the low murmur of conversation between three robed men. They stood within a molten pool of torchlight, and their straight-spined shadows flickered uneasily against the rough stone walls. Their swords were strapped to the wrong side, the only polite way to wear one's weapon in normal society. They did not expect combat, and so they had hobbled themselves for courtesy's sake. The scene could have been a single frame from a romantic film looking back nostalgically on a time of noble feudalism which barely existed in modern Kaminari no Kuni: the vassals of a once-great Daimyo, softly gossiping in the dank corridors of some isolated fortress.

The samurai discussed the date of the next ritual, idly speculating on the contents. A great banquet, of course, because there must always be a great banquet--perhaps in the style of the Kaze no Kuni barbarians, with guests of honor escorted in on palanquins carried by servants, and everyone reclining among cushions and rugs, attendees eating with their bare hands, with plenty of hookah and bare-limbed dancers for all.

Takaki Saeko

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Crouching in the darkness, he gauged his opposition. The men ahead of him were clearly trained in warfare, and the way they carried themselves indicated that they were samurai class. So this was the real guard contingent. He weighed his options.

The mark of an experienced shinobi was a healthy respect for those without chakra. Younger ones tended to forget just how dangerous of an opponent another trained warrior could be, simply because that enemy did not have the advantage of chakra control. Simply because a non-shinobi could not hurl fireballs or cast illusions did not mean that they were defenseless. A common infantryman’s bolt could kill as effectively as any offensive jutsu and a genin who thought he could out-fence a trained samurai with decades of swordsmanship experience was begging for suicide. Manipulation of chakra was only one of the avenues mankind traveled in its journey to kill more effectively – there were many alternative routes.

Thus, directly confronting the three opponents in the hallway was a losing proposition, and that was not what Rin had wanted, anyway. The hallway itself was narrower than the previous one, and unfortunately lacked significant cover. There was no feasible way to simply shimmy past the men, who despite their casual demeanor were likely instinctively scanning their surroundings even as they exchanged easy conversation. However, if one looked upward, there was a way forward. The ceiling here was higher than in the previous hallway, and shrouded in darkness. Chakra would allow him to creep past the men over their heads, even if it was a rather strenuous task.

Placing his foot against the wall, Masao silently pushed off and upwards, allowing his hands to contact the mossy stone above and stick to it via chakra. It was slippery as expected, but felt solid and could hold his weight. Swinging his feet upward, he let those stick as well. Fly-like, he started to traverse the overhead lane above the men, eyes scanning his path for any signs of loosened stone or other things that could be knocked down onto their heads if he were careless.

He wondered what the next Cabal ritual would involve. Would they find out during the course of events that the real sword had been stolen? Who would pay with their lives for that transgression?

Santaru Rin

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Masao scurried along the barrel vaulted ceiling, placing his charged hands and feet cautiously. So many variables went into chakra-climbing. Neophytes fell out of their gloves and boots. Their battle rattle fell off. Their gear dangled. Unused to moving in an inverted fashion, they made noise where they believed they were being silent. They adhered only to the ceiling's surface material, ripping away the paint or stucco they had attached themselves to. They knocked free dust and soil, alerting observers below. But Masao was not a neophyte, and had only one thing to fear... The uncanny sense which told warriors when they were watched by unseen eyes.

He crossed overhead, pausing as one man glanced upwards, perceiving, perhaps, a shift in air currents, or that someone had crossed into the invisible boundary line of his personal space. But Masao was a master of sneaking, and his translucence made him nothing more than the faintest of shadows cast on the ceiling. The samurai frowned faintly.

"What is it?"

"Just a draft... Damn slaves," the man muttered. The spell of imagined vanities had been broken. The noblemen moved on, leaving Masao to mince the rest of the way to the door with the sword just beyond...

The map had depicted this room as large, but there, at last, the intel failed him in the details. The bronze double-doors had been left half-open--confidence in their own obscurity had led the cabal to carelessness. The floor was paved not with the flagstone Masao had become accustomed to, but in pale, smooth cobbles, all approximately the size of a head, and mortared with tar. The high ceiling showed that this chamber transfixed the depth of the cistern. The walls were hidden by monstrously large columns and cascading water which was oddly muffled, revealing the source of the white noise which had helped the lone ANBU infiltrate the cistern. The platform itself was the size of a ballroom; beyond the cascading water was a shadowed mezzanine which encircled the room. If anyone looked on, they could not be detected with mundane senses. Entering the room would leave Masao open.

The heavy scent of aloeswood incense overwhelmed the damp, earthy smell of the compound. Enormous joss sticks, nearly as tall as a man, stood to either side of the huge platform which stood in the cistern's water. Low chairs and cushions waited before these joss sticks, and between them at what must have been significant stations were shrines approximately a meter high, each made of some different material--exotic woods, semi-precious stones, imported marble, even concrete. The frozen faces which snarled from these shrines presided over numerous offerings, some sumptuous, others rotten and grisly.

Two robed and cowled figures abased themselves before the raised altar at the uttermost end of the platform. Beyond that, from the waters, stood an immense statue covered in gold. The figure was ten-headed, with arms uncountable; that visage referred to with the epithet of Hitokage, whose wisdom outstripped the ten most knowledgeable scholars, one who was contemptuous of mortal rulers, who wielded the sword known as Heaven's Laughter. Under his foot was the head of a great serpent, and in his hands he held the signs of pain and power. This was him whom the Village in the Clouds had defied, and behind his altar was the gently curved sword which Masao planned to steal...

Takaki Saeko

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Akira Saito’s virgin ballsack, he thought in anger as he immediately froze in place, allowing the samurai to peer through him at the ceiling above. He remained perfectly still, not daring to even breathe, lest his warmed breath contact the cold stone and cause extra moisture to form, which might drip down on the already-suspicious investigator’s head. Fortunately, the men underneath him simply moved on now, their reverie broken by subtle prodding of the unconscious. After he confirmed that their departure was not merely a ruse, he shimmied on, shaking his head. That had been a godrotting close call. Had the lighting been better, the observant samurai might have detected the subtle warping of light around his outline and deduced his presence. That would have resulted in a fight, and although he probably would have won, it would have sunk any hopes of secrecy. Most dreadfully for him, it might have resulted in Rin’s wrath.

At least Shinbatsu provided small favors, as he could see from the half-opened bronze doors. Still remaining translucent, he slipped through and pressed himself up against a nearby column, taking in the surroundings. It was larger than he had imagined it would be, which could be an advantage when it came to keeping a low profile. The water surrounding the platform on which he stood was likely not overtly poisoned or populated with deadly creatures, but he resolved not to set foot in it unless otherwise completely necessary. Casting a glance over the assorted bubingawood and bocote-carved shrines interspersed with ugly concrete, he recognized the faces of some of the creatures he had fought himself or studied the fights of more than twenty years ago. Carved in iron on one of the shrines was the face of a large baelg, a specimen of which had given him a sizeable wound in his side. Another creature, carved in translucent stone, appeared to have the face of a penguin – something that Kinaguu Airisuke had fought at the same time. It appeared that those foul creatures were still part of the Hitokage’s retinue after all. Carved in cocobolo wood near the central altar was a human face that he also recognized. The late Crown Prince Shiro Amakusa Tokisada zi Kaminari – the former human leader of the cabal who Ryuuto had once fought and killed. The golden statue was the largest of all, and also the most recognizable. The ten-headed Hitokage. He of a thousand hands and a thousand male members. Just to be sure, Masao allowed himself a brief glance at the statue’s eyes, just to make sure that they were not actually tracking his movements.

Satisfied that the statue was not in fact animated by some otherworldly power, he now shifted his focus to the two supplicants in front of the altar. Although they remained cloaked and their backs had turned to him, he surmised that they were probably the true leaders of the Cabal in Raiden’s Eye, and likely were members of powerful families with ties to the economic, political, and military world. One of them might even be a Daimyo and member of the Council of Eleven Moons, the same political body that Chancellor Tachibana Ami headed in the shogun’s absence. Still, regardless of who they were, the simple fact was that they were annoying him to no end by their presence. Of course, he had the option of casting a genjutsu on them – to freeze their sensation of time, or blind them to his presence, or cause them to leave in fear – but that was just tacky. Instead, he would simply wait behind cover. No matter how strong their faith was, powerful men never tarried for long in one place – it was why they were powerful in the first place.

Santaru Rin

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Upon completing their prostrated obeisance, the pair backed away from the altar in 13 steps and separated to sweep the massive platform with straw brooms. The sussurus of their ritual cleaning rasped against Masao's nerves where he crouched, a beast among beasts. Their pale hands were all the skin which showed beyond the ends of their robes. Those hands gripped white-knuckled the shafts. The knuckles were livid and scarred, the hands calloused; these were working people, aged.

Masao darted between altars, timing his movements against the pair's pattern. When backs were turned, he blurred from one blind spot to the next. The incense here had an intoxicating aspect. He usually did not experience the speed of his movement from a relative position, but now he felt that he was rocketing through time at a pace faster relative to that which these cowled ones experienced.

He found himself on the altar podium. The soft rug felt dense and plush beneath the soles of his kidskin boots. The statue leered down at his bowed head, where he stood looking at this blade, the sweepers behind him taking their designated 27 steps per angle and never lifting their heads to see the figment across the platform. The world slipped threateningly off kilter. He had very little time left.

Takaki Saeko

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Finally, dammit. Felt like I was waiting three weeks, thought Masao in annoyance as the two supplicants started to retreat and begin ritual cleaning akin to what a miko would do at a more legitimate temple. He rolled from pillar to pillar, timing his moves to the steady progression of the two worshippers down the path to the main altar. He was under no illusion that his movements would completely escape their notice. After all, the human eye was excellent at detecting motion in the periphery – it was the untrained brain that really betrayed someone on the lookout. Laziness, exhaustion, concentration on some other task; these all served to fool the mind into dismissing what the eyes saw clearly. As the academy had taught him, it was perception, not vision that mattered.

The smoky, sweet smell of the incense was annoying and somewhat stifling, but now he seemed to be so much faster, lighter, and more skilled than usual as he made his progression toward the altar. Yes, he still had it – he was still elite among the elites and he moved at the speed of light. Everything seemed warmer, fuzzier, happier now. The Hitokage was so much less threatening in appearance, almost ridiculous-looking, and he wanted to burst out in laughter. This ludicrous-looking thing had invaded Cloud? Really? The sword was right in front of him, and begging to be taken and replaced by the dummy weapon he had commissioned earlier. The fools in the Cabal wouldn’t figure this one out for months! Maybe even years! The looks on their faces would be priceless. Maybe he’d just cast a quick genjutsu on the two supplicants and dash out of the place. Rin would be impressed, for sure. Maybe she’d even let him eat another helping of that wonderfully rich chochinita pibil over rice...

No, round thing! the rational part of his mind suddenly chimed in with Rin’s voice, momentarily breaking his reverie with the force of a toilet falling on his head. He was about to open his mouth to complain, when he realized with a start that he’d been staring at the sword, bolt upright and exposed, without realizing it. Quickly, a rush of adrenaline hit him as he realized the danger he’d just exposed himself to, and he ducked back down behind the altar. So there was a hidden danger here – some sort of intoxicant, judging from what he’d been feeling before. The incense – that was probably the culprit.

He had not brought along any antidotes, so he would have to manufacture his own. Fortunately, one could stave off the worst effects of most CNS depressants with one’s own endogenous epinephrine, and one of the easier ways to produce it without being a mednin was to induce a constant, painful stimulus. After taking off one of his shoes, he reached into a pocket and pulled out a spare crossbolter magazine, pushing one of the small quarrels out into his hand. With a deft motion, he unscrewed its pointed tip and jammed it into the sole of his foot, gritting his teeth to bear the pain. The world shifted back to reality a bit more after that. He replaced his shoe as well as the magazine, and put some more weight on the foot. The pain was intense, but bearable, and kept the effects of the incense at bay.

Now thinking more clearly, he snuck a peek over the top of the altar at the two worshippers. They were nearly at the entrance of the room. Quickly checking to make sure there were no alarms or traps on the sword stand, he produced the dummy weapon, and with a quick motion, swapped the two in less than a second. The actual blade, he placed back into its isolation scroll case, phasing it into the holding dimension. Now, it was time to get out of here for real. He would remove that damned spike in his foot as soon as he left this room, that was for sure…

Santaru Rin

Yen
ASP
Deaths
The trap on the sword stand had been nasty in its own crude, overly simplistic way, but the spray mechanism was no match for Masao's skills in sleight of hand. The pale crust at the end of the spars had been a dead giveaway. Someone wasn't keeping up to date with standards of trap maintenance. Absurdly, the sword he sealed away would have matched nicely with his waistcoat. What was that stuff? Alkali? How nasty. Someone was sadistic.

That shinobi would acquire some of the mannerisms of the nobility was a given, then, considering their special indoctrination into the world's underlying logic. Shinobi held the same pride in the natural order--though in their case, this meant the natural order was from stongest to weakest, and less by blueness of blood or possession of assets. Shinobi enjoyed the same love of ceremony and held the same contempt for those not initiated into their mysteries.

It was the state of the nation that not all shinobi could enjoy the rank in political life which they enjoyed in their covert world, and thus given that shinobi would be the foremost agents of revolution. Men were ever governed by their personal interests. But one must take care not to conflate members of a body with the body itself; one would find spies and assassins in all leading factions, comprising the subtle muscle of such parties if not composing their main thrust. One must not then assert that shinobi are at all times the friends of rebels and opponents of the established order, though it was from a tradition of revolt that the so-called "ninja way" arose.

Masao rent the veil with his chakra and slipped into the invisible world. His fine dress shoes made not even the slightest scuff on the spotless platform; he darted painfully behind the hulking demi-deities' altars and slipped out of the door while the two servants slowly performed their bee-like cleaning dance. How they managed to function under the incense's influence was a mystery. Once out of the cistern's atrium, he paused in a doorway and slipped off his shoe to squeeze the quarrel's head out of his sole. He sucked blood off of his fingers and dropped the head into a pocket before re-shoeing and moving on.

Now that he was confident of the path in, egress was no longer a problem. The porous security had, thank the divine Shinbatsu, not become any less permeable. No one called out or followed when he went back through the water-logged door and into the room of his waiting "lover."

With gratitude to Democracy in America, by Alexis de Tocqueville.

Takaki Saeko

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Shinbatsu’s balls, if Rin hadn’t chided me for gluttony, I’d be missing fingers right now, he thought in annoyance as he made his hurried way back to the hidden videotaping chamber where Asako Ilanovich hopefully still waited. Under the incense’s influence, he might have simply grabbed at the blade without thinking, and thus have been sprayed with a paste of sodium hydroxide. At that concentration, the mixture would have eaten through his bones in a manner of seconds, and plunging the affected parts into the nearby water would have only caused worse damage. His foot still ached, but the pain from that was fading fast, just as the initial stimulus had cleared his head of the depressive effects of that incense. The human part of the Cabal’s security had clearly been lacking down there, but the hardware was still very much functional. It was something to caution other agents about should they be sent on similar missions. He checked his watch quickly – even though it had felt like an eternity under the cistern, only twenty or so minutes had elapsed in real time. It was long enough for the standard service given by a courtesan, but not too long that the guards outside would start to get suspicious. As he emerged back into the red-lit room, he spied Asako nervously sitting on the edge of the bed. She gasped slightly at his return, immediately standing.

“Did you…” she started, her eyes frantic. Masao merely smiled and pressed a finger to her lips.

“I told you I’d succeed. I’m an ANBU, after all” he said, running a hand through his hair. She sighed in relief for a second before assuming her former, calculating expression.

“Now will you fulfill your promise to me? Or shall I scream right now and let them know exactly what happened?” Asako asked, only half-playfully.

“I’m a shinobi, not an asshole. Meet me at the entrance in ten minutes exactly. Let your handlers know that I’d decided to take you home with me for the night and that the deposit is being wired to the club’s account right now,” he said, momentarily flashing the rinnegan at her once again – a reminder of who she was dealing with. “Now, do your part.”

With that, he bowed to her slightly and walked past the curtains and into the hallway. For good measure, he undid the top buttons of his shirt and loosened his tie, all the more to make it seem as if he had just engaged in some “underworld commerce.” As he passed the guards waiting at the threshold to the club proper, he gave them a jovial wink, to which they merely nodded, faces inscrutable under their dark sunglasses. A moment later, Asako emerged as well, patting one of the guards on the shoulder. He could overhear her saying she needed to go freshen up – so far, so good.

Instead of going down the stairs, he continued casually along in the direction of the management offices, as if strolling around to get a nicer view of the fights below. It was helpful that there were some other patrons up here, no doubt discussing matters that needed a bit more quiet than could be given on the gaming floor. Leaning over a railing nearby a pair of baronets, he shifted his eyes, monitoring the doorway to the nearby pit boss’s office. These men, who were responsible for making sure no one blatantly cheated at the games and got away with it, would periodically cycle in and out of the office, because no security camera was a good enough substitute for having actual eyes on the tables.

The nobles nearby were discussing the Shiranai issue with some enthusiasm, and he listened in, interested. It seemed that the Chancellor was risking nearly her entire power base on this gamble – on this no-name mednin. Inwardly, Masao shook his head. The woman liked to gamble hard, it seemed. As fascinating as the conversation was, however, Masao’s attention snapped to the door opening as one of the pit bosses emerged, chatting on his radio. A brief glimpse of the room through the doorway revealed no one else inside. As the man walked by, Masao quickly and subtly made his way to the closing door, and stopped its latching with a deftly-placed finger. Silently, he squeezed in, leaving the baronets nearby none the wiser.

Once inside, he quickly performed a basic transformation jutsu – his suit was actually within the limits of what one of the club managers would wear on the floor, so really all he needed to change was his facial features. His countenance blurred briefly, and was replaced by that of a generic-looking, hard-featured kaminarijin in his forties, completely bald. Now, he would go for the fileroom attached to the manager’s office.

The key always was to walk confidently and with a little briskness to one’s step – it was a sign that one belonged in a place, and more importantly, had a mission to complete. It also helped to minimize others attempting to socialize and subtly deterred suspicion of wrongdoing. Bypassing several managers who sat either counting money or smoking cigarettes or loudly directing their subordinates over headset, Masao finally entered the empty and darkened fileroom and closed the door behind him, locking it. The filing cabinet itself was an easy pick-job – a student could have done it.

Poring over the labels, he spied out the one that would likely be most fruitful: “Contracts.” Subheading: “Human Resources.” Subheading: “Ilyanovich, A.” There were two documents in her file; one was a bill of sale from the House of Falling Leaves brothel to the Crane Club which transferred her ownership to them for the sum of three hundred thousand yen in gold koban, and the other was the actual document of ownership. It was a pretty piece of parchment that essentially had the power of life or death over the woman. It named her as a licensed courtesan and stripped her of all rights to own property, marry, be employed by others or by herself, and even travel outside of the city. And its terms would be enforced with extreme prejudice by the Bakufuu itself. Officially, these were terms of indentured servanthood, but practically, it was simply slavery by any other name. Whosoever possessed this document owned her completely.

He removed the entire folder and stuffed it inside his suit before closing the drawer. There were many other courtesans there besides Asako – many of the women would eventually be discarded or used as fodder for snuff fetishists once their youth or beauty left them, or once they grew too tolerant to the various narcotics that they were doubtless addicted to. But what good would he do to liberate all of them? It would only compromise the mission in the end when the Crane Club management discovered that many files missing. Shinobi agents would die as a result, and the Hitokage would come back stronger to wreak a terrible vengeance on Kumo.

With grim resolve, he exited the fileroom, walked past the managers from earlier, and exited out of the pit boss office just before the one who had left rounded the stairs to return. Masao checked his watch –five minutes left. With that, he stopped into a nearby restroom and undid his transformation.

Asako waited for him at the exit – she had donned an expensive fur coat and carried a rather large handbag – likely all of her possessions that weren’t completely bolted down. He did not know if she had any job skills, but something told her that she would be able to take care of herself out there. The Willow World was ruthless in its own way, and its graduates were a wily bunch. Wordlessly, he extended his arm to her, which she took, squeezing a bit more tightly than before. With careful, measured steps, they made their way to the stylized docks, and boarded one of the gondola to the city proper.
Later, at the Imperial Dragon Hotel
“Oh ho ho, who’s your friend, Vice Commander?” asked Haruka, cheeks flushed as she traipsed over to Masao and Asako, still wearing her lingerie and precariously twirling a champagne glass. Masao sighed.

“Not a friend. An intelligence asset, my drunken buntaichou-chan,” said Masao, as he handed Asako the file folder. The courtesan’s eyes widened in shock as she looked over the documents and stuffed them into her handbag.

“You fulfilled your promise, shinobi… To be honest, I didn’t expect you to. I thought I’d be dead for sure, but at least I’d get to stab them back before I died,” said Asako quietly, looking at the ground.

“Kumogakure has some honor left. Anyway, you now own yourself. My intoxicated subordinate over there and I plan to leave immediately. You have this room until tomorrow morning. I’d suggest, though, getting the hell out of town as soon as possible,” he said.

“Aww, really?! Can’t she play with me a bit?!” wailed Haruka playfully as she flopped on the bed.

“What will you do?” asked Masao, ignoring his sniper.

“I can take care of myself. I have an aunt in Port Cirrus. I will work at her restaurant and start from there,” replied Asako, her voice confident.

“Here,” said Masao, offering her an envelope with all of the remaining yen allocated to him from the mission. At least ten thousand, enough for a ticket to anywhere she wanted to go and to buy a small apartment in Port Cirrus. “This isn’t a gift. It’s an investment. Kumogakure has need of civilian assets. You may be called upon to aid us in some other fashion in the future. But for now, concentrate on rebuilding your life,” he said, passing the envelope to her. A single tear rolled down the woman’s face, and she suddenly hugged him.

“Thank you… I owe you my life,” she said, sniffling as she released him from her embrace. “What’s your name, shinobi?” Masao merely gave her a mysterious smile.

“My name…isn’t really important. Good luck, Asako Ilyanovich,” he said, turning to leave. “Oh, Haruka, for Shinbatsu’s sake get dressed. It’s actually cold out there.”

“You’re so LAME! Why are you so LAME?!” protested Haruka, pouting as she pulled a greatcoat over herself and slipped into her heels.

“You’re really going to wear a coat and underwear and heels?”

“Yesh. Because I’m sexy and I know it… Lame-o…”

“Whatever. You’ll freeze your asshole off…”

“But I’m so hot! Ask Gin! She knows it, uh huh…”

Total Word Count for this thread, not including village leaving or entry posts: 7523

Status
Not open for further replies.

Current Ninpocho Chronicles Time:

Back