Ninpocho Chronicles

Ninpocho Chronicles is a fantasy-ish setting storyline, set in an alternate universe World of Ninjas, where the Naruto and Boruto series take place. This means that none of the canon characters exists, or existed here.

Each ninja starts from the bottom and start their training as an Academy Student. From there they develop abilities akin to that of demigods as they grow in age and experience.

Along the way they gain new friends (or enemies), take on jobs and complete contracts and missions for their respective villages where their training and skill will be tested to their limits.

The sky is the limit as the blank page you see before you can be filled with countless of adventures with your character in the game.

This is Ninpocho Chronicles.

Current Ninpocho Chronicles Time:

Keikoku Sendo -> Toshiro Kaito

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keikoku Sendo

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Old Character Name: Keikoku Sendo
Old Village/Missing: Cloud
OCR Type: Transition rebirth
Last Known Where-abouts: To the Mountains[SSM]
Old IC Rank: Chuunin

New Character Name: Toshiro Kaito
Preferred Username: Toshiro Kaito
New Village/Missing: Cloud
New BL/CA: Haku
Custom Class:
Custom Class said:
Arctic Envoy
HP: (40+lvl) x stamina
CP: (60+lvl) x chakra control
Class Bonus: Kinjutsu
High: Ninjutsu Accuracy
Average: Evasion, Genjutsu Save, Genjutsu DC
Low: Ranged Accuracy, Melee Accuracy

Main Branch/ANBU/Med-Nin: Main Branch
IC Rank: Chuunin
Character Age: 24
Sex: Male
Character's Physical Description: Kaito is of average height, around five feet seven inches tall, and is built very slimly. His brown hair often falls across his face, slightly obscuring his piercing blue eyes from view. He possesses a very pale complexion, as if his skin has never seen the light of day before. Two tattoos mark the backs of his hands, marking points where energies have been shunted into his body. When manipulating ice a bright blue light shines from the tattoo on his left hand, slowly enlargening and spreading up his arm as his connection to the Ice Lord deepens. Additionally, when his dark seal is activated spider webbed lines originating from his right hand spread across his entirety in a flash, giving him a distinct 'shattered ice' look across his body.

Character's Mental Description: Kaito is an even-tempered individual by most accounts. It can be assumed that he has a chilly personality at first glance, but in reality that is due to his conscious decision to be percieved as collected and slightly aloof as he feels it gives him an air of experience. Kaito is often hyper conscious of his appearance and demeanor, often striving to seem as graceful as possible.

Multiple Personality Application: n/a
Clan Request: n/a
Death/Retirement Thread: n/a
Old Profile: Profile
Old Training: Training
Old Dojo: Dojo

Old Stats:
Agility: 544
Stamina: 600
Ninjutsu: 448
Taijutsu: 555
Genjutsu: 300
Chakra Control: 525
PL: 2972
CL: 13

Old OOC Rank: S-Rank

Stat Cut: n/a

New Stats:
Agility: 600
Stamina: 572
Ninjutsu: 600
Taijutsu: 300
Chakra Control: 600
Class: 13

New OOC Rank: S-Rank

Jutsu Mastery Swaps:

E Rank:
Body Switch [lvl 2] - Keeping

D Rank:
Cancel [lvl 2] - Keeping

C Rank:
Blade Trail [lvl 2] -> Grand Waterfall [lvl 2]
Zero Slash Counter [lvl 2] -> Impaling Hydro Jet [lvl 2]
Vanishing Slash [lvl 2] -> Ice Shards [lvl 2]
Expel [lvl 2] -> Frigid Ice Blast [lvl 2]
Shadow Dance [lvl 2] -> Arctic Aether [lvl 2]
Chakra Extension [lvl 2] -> Tempest [lvl 2]

B Rank:
Lotus Flower [lvl 2] -> Ice Transmutation [lvl 2]
Executioner [lvl 2] -> Snowflake Shuriken [lvl 2]
Magnum Break [lvl 2] -> Crystallize [lvl 2]
Unbound [lvl 2] -> Ice Prison [lvl 2]
Cursed Sealing [lvl 2] - Keeping

A Rank:
Annihilation [lvl 2] -> Falling Snow [lvl 2]
Zantetsuken [lvl 2] -> Subzero Purge [lvl 2]
Higuma [lvl 2] -> Hailstorm [lvl 2]

Other Refunds:
Augments:
Freeflow

Bloodrack

Razor Strike

Name of any Contract you currently own: n/a
Name of any Cursed Seals you currently own: I’m making this character with one? Not sure if that needs approval here or not.
Name of Kinjutsu you own: I’m applying to Jinchuuriki-Spiritual with my History

Misc: I’d also like to utilize my history for speaking vulgar kumo.

Character History:
Σηκωθεί. I heard as reality began to reassert itself around me with a gut wrenching swiftness as I struggled momentarily to open my eyes grasp my bearings. A grey cloud filled sky stared back at me as I opened my eyes completely, blinded for a moment by the emptiness. I could feel the soft snow beneath me beginning to melt, the cold water soaking into my thick coat and pants, leeching the warmth from my bones. I felt groggy as I turned my head towards the voice, feeling the soft snow sticking to my hair in clumps. An involuntary shiver coursed throughout my body as my eyes focused on the figure that stood several feet to my side, and I wasn’t convinced that it was entirely from the cold.

His long brown hair was tied back in a simple ponytail that reached his midback as his light jacket swung openly in the wind that pulled at us both. Body parts were feeling lead filled as tremors continued to rack my body, yet there he stood, looking as content as if we stood warm next to the hearth. The expression he favored me with was as cold as the ground beneath me as his pale blue eyes pierced into mine. I stared back into his shockingly blue eyes for only a moment, but apparently that moment was to long. His brow furrowed slightly as he barked his order at me once again, this time slightly louder. Σηκωθεί.

I rolled to my stomach and struggled to get on my hands and knees to rise. My arms and legs refused to respond until I concentrated, willing them into slow, agonizing motion. I’d managed to struggle to my hands and knees when I finally responded, “Yes grandfather.” As soon as the words had left my mouth I knew I had made a mistake in using common, but even if I hadn’t his immediate grunt of disapproval would have been reminder enough. That, and the foot that caught me in the ribs mere moments later, flipping me back onto my back and driving the air from my lungs. Θα μου απευθύνεσαι στη γλώσσα του λαού μας, αλλιώς θα σιωπήσεις. grandfather admonished from his position over me as I coughed painfully, desperately attempting to refill my lungs with the biting cold air.

Wheezing for several more long moments I finally managed to work out, Ναι... Ναι Παππού. Grunting in what must have been satisfaction he took several measured steps backward, giving me room to find my feet. Once again I painfully rolled to my stomach and willed my limbs to move as I slowly struggled to stand. I wavered slightly as I took long seconds of merciful stillness to try and collect myself before I saw my cue. Grandfather’s arm raised until it was pointing my direction before offering a ‘come on’ gesture. I knew it meant I needed to attack but it was getting more and more difficult to force my body to move when I couldn’t feel most of it. ‘If you don’t move now you’ll hurt way worse stupid.’ I chided myself as I lurched forward to attack once again. ‘With any luck, this time I won’t pass out.’ I thought as I closed on the man who hadn’t moved from his ‘come here gesture’.

It was really wishful thinking.

----Later---

I sprawled on the ground next to the hearth fire as I attempted to cease being in the vain hope that it would make the pain go away. As warmth filled me it brought back the feelings in my arms and legs, but with returned feeling came the aches, pains, and exertions of the day. A low groan weaseled past my lips before I could bite it off which resulted in my mother offering a hard clucking admonishment. Hearing her rise she approached and continued, Enough of that. It is unbecoming to whine. Despite the slight scolding, I still felt as she began gently massaging some of the aches out of my body. The slight improvement was almost euphoric. Kaito, you’re twelve years old now. You’ll be leaving to the village soon and you need to be prepared. It will not do to be found wanting. Mother reminded me in a tone that was gentle but not overly kind.

I thought for a moment as she helped to alleviate some of the muscle soreness I had before responding, “Is that why grandfather tests me so? Because he wants me ready to join the academy?

I could hear the slight upturn of her lips as she replied, Yes… and no. Your grandfather and I want you prepared yes, because our clan is one of graceful perfection and we expect you to serve with distinction. She paused for a moment, as if mentally debating herself before continuing, But it is more than that. More than he wants you to excel as a shinobi, he wants to know if you are worthy of having Winter’s Mark passed to you. That is why he pushes as hard as he does, because it is the only way you’ll ever be worthy.

I thought on her words, and truthfully it was a great exercise for taking my mind from the pain that was my body, and mulled them around my mind. ‘Me? Worthy of Winter’s Mark? Grandfather finding me worthy? I don’t know if it’s possible for it to be passed to me.’ With my thoughts came some of the amazing feats I had seen my grandfather perform with Winter’s Mark, things like raising entire fields of razor sharp ice with a snap of his fingers, being seemingly impervious to cold, and even being capable of freezing an outdoor fire with the wave of a hand. Me? Worthy of power like that?

I lost myself in my thoughts as I pondered what I could do to prove my worth and agonized over things I knew I could have done better, when seemingly all of a sudden Mother patted my shoulder before stating, Alright. Off to bed. You meet Grandfather before the sun is up tomorrow.

----Several months later-----

I stood on the train platform of the nearby town, a small knapsack of clothes placed against my knee as I looked at my mother and grandfather facing me. I was off to enroll in the academy, to join the shinobi forces of Kumogakure, and fight, and quite possibly die, for lightning country. It was possibly the last time I would ever see my direct family again and I had no idea what to do or say. Lacking a good answer I chose instead to hold my poise, and clasped behind my back with a straight spine, and wait as the silent farewell stretched onward. Parts of me wanted to wrap them in a hug, tell them how much I’d miss them and that I hoped to see them, but I knew that I would be rebuked for such a break in demeanor. Eventually, it was my mother who moved first by silently placing her hand against my cheek, cupping it gently. The cold of her hand caused gooseflesh to erupt across my face even as I was warmed by the gesture. I gazed into her eyes for a long moment as she smiled slightly, almost sadly, at me. The silence stretched so long I almost broke my composure and told her how badly I’d miss her when she finally lowered her hand and retreated a step, naturally pushing my eyes towards my grandfather.

Grandfathers eyes were as cold as ever, their bright blue piercing from his sculpted face as he stood perfectly still inspecting me. I attempted to solidify more under his gaze, to show that I had taken his lesson’s on discipline to heart, but if my additional effort was noticed he made no show of it. He appraised me for a second longer before finally barking, Θα τιμήσεις το όνομά μας. Θα εκπαιδευτείτε, να ματώσουν, και να πολεμήσουν μέχρι να είστε άξιοι του Χειμώνα Σήμα, ή θα να μην επιστρέψει καθόλου. Έγινα κατανοητός.

I responded almost without thought, Ναι Παππού.

My response earned a non-committal grunt from him as he turned from me and began walking away. He hadn’t gone five steps before he stopped and declared over his shoulder, Εξασκήσου στη γλώσσα μας. Ο λόγος σου είναι απαίσιος. With that he began moving away, hands clasped behind his back with my mother falling in step beside him. Neither paid me a further glance.

---6 months later---

My arm rang with the impact as my sword connected with my opponents, momentarily locking us together. I locked eyes with Shiro, my sparring partner, momentarily before lifting my arm and running through handseals with my free hand. As I began I could feel the power inside me taking form to my will as it was shaped with the appropriate hand gestures while I continued to bear down on Shiro. My actions did not go unnoticed though as I saw his eyes widen a fraction before he disengaged and retreated several feet. He sheathed his weapon almost instantly and began flying into his own handseals, but I knew from experience that it wouldn’t make a difference. I felt the power properly shaped inside me and released it, feeling it pour from my now open hand to shape into a spear of ice. I made positive that the end was blunted before propelling it forward at Shiro with all I was worth. As I’d guessed he hadn’t had enough time to finish whatever jutsu he was performing as the moment I launched the spear he abandoned handseals in an effort to dodge out of the way. ‘Wrong way.’ I thought as I saw his dodge to the left, directly where I’d guessed he’d dodge. This put him directly in line with the projectile with no time to move again. I heard the solid thunk as ice met flesh and Shiro was thrown to the ground. I leaped forward to close distance, falling onto Shiro’s prone form and pinning him down. He struggled against it for a moment but finally relented, Yeah, yeah. I yield, now get off me Kaito!

Inwardly I smirked as I got my feet and rose to a standing position. I offered an accepted hand up as I replied, “That was a good bout Shiro. You almost had me there.” I smiled slightly, hoping to give off good vibes and not many of the smug ones I was feeling. Truthfully, I was feeling downright superior, a feeling that had persisted in the last several months since I officially joined the academy.

Shiro offered me a snort and good hearted shove in the shoulder before replying, Psh, I’d have you a lot more often if you didn’t cheat so much. Who can even do one handed seals anyway?

Me, obviously.’ I thought snidely as we ventured towards the weapons rack and began cleaning the blunted swords. My tone did not echo my thoughts as I replied, “Hey, any advantage I can get right?

I guess. It just isn’t fair Kaito. I’ve been here over a year, you just got here but I’d be surprised if I graduated before you. Isn’t fair that you have this much talent. Shiro complained as we continued cleaning off our weapons.

Yeah, I can see how that’d be frustrating. I stated as I finished my cleaning and replaced the weapon on its rack. My tone was sympathetic, at least I hoped so, as I continued, “But, you’ll graduate soon Shiro. We both will. Hey, want to grab some food?” I asked as I replaced the freshly cleaned weapon on its rack and turning his direction.

A playful grin crossed his face as he looked at me before placing his own cleaned weapon back and quickly adding, Race ya! As soon as the words were out of his mouth he was stampeding off in the direction of the market in an effort to gain a headstart. I took off at practically the same time, quickly setting a pace that I knew Shiro would struggle to match. ‘Have to keep it fun after all.

---2 years later----

I strode through the halls of the Bibliotheca towards the regular room I utilized, my quick pace causing my open jacket to all but billow as I moved with purpose. I moved briskly to the study room I most regularly utilized, spotting the small brush of movement inside. Pausing momentarily at the door I peered in, curious who was researching today and felt a short smile conjure on my face. Shiro lounged in a chair, tossing a ball from hand to hand as he stared at the ceiling intently. ‘If I didn’t know better I’d say he’s deep in thought.’ I thought with a mental chuckle as I opened the door and moved inside. As soon as the door began to creak Shiro turned his attention to the door and me, offering a large, warm smile.

Shiro, what are you doing here?” I asked him as I entered the room completely and shut the door. In reality I had a guess of why he was present, in the study room packed with translation texts, but more so why he’d been kicking around until I arrived.

Isn’t it obvious? I know you’ve been studying Kumo in your spare time between missions and duty, and I want in. You know, anything you can do I can to better and all that stuff from training. So, you gonna help me? The smile he treated me with at that was large and so genuine it was almost painful to see.

The reaction I had to it startled me as my thoughts attempted to grind on despite the momentary hiccup. I started to chuckle a little bit before returning the smile and replying, “Sure, we can study together. But remind me, when have you ever been better than me at something during training?” As I spoke I entered more into the room, taking one of the empty chairs around the table and settling in while grabbing the book I’d been working in the last several weeks.

Shiro laughed as he scooted his chair closer, Kaito, no one likes an ass!

---Later---

Shiro’s head banged into the solid wood of the table with an audible thud as a low groan began to resonate from him. I looked up from the book I’d been working at to see where he was when Shiro spoke, Why are these doodles called letters? What even is all this? There was more, but it was difficult to understand through the table and came out as wordless muttering.

I set my own book back down and moved over to where Shiro sat and patted his back a few times in a ‘there-there’ gesture as I replied, “It isn’t gibberish Shiro, it’s just letters you aren’t used to. Come on, you’ve only been at it a few hours, and I bet you didn’t learn how to read in common in that time either.” I wasn’t sure if my reassurances were working or not, but he did turn his head to a degree so I could understand a bit more of what he was saying. It sounded like ‘stupid bullshit made up doodles’ over and over but I figured I could work with that. Smacking his back a little harder I continued, “Come on! I’ll help you out, okay? Sit up, we don’t have all night.

The smack shouldn’t have hurt but it did seem to startle him as Shiro bolted upright and looked at me. For a moment it seemed that he was trying to decide if I was goofing him or not before he seemingly decided I was genuine and began to smile again and respond, Alright, alright mr. Perfect. Thanks for helping us lowly peasants. I chuckled as well as I pulled my chair closer to be able to sit beside him and work in the same book. As I did Shiro caught my attention as the smile dropped from his face to be replaced by a much more serious one, Kaito… Seriously. Thank you. You’ve been helping me for years. I don’t know where I’d be if we hadn’t met in the academy.

I felt an odd burning sensation rising in my face that confused and alarmed me for an instant. ‘Blushing? Huh?’ Not wanting to draw attention I started, “Alright, lets check these out. This one? That’s called theta, you pronounce it…

----10 years later----

As I stepped from inside the train station I took in a deep breath, feeling the crisp coolness of the mountain air fill me from head to toe, rejuvenating me in a way I hadn’t realized I had needed. I exhaled a small cloud as a smile began spreading on my face. ‘I hadn’t realized how much I’d missed this.’ I thought absently as I pulled the hood of my jacket up and began forward into the light snow that had begun as the train had entered the station. The breeze that accompanied it felt refreshing as it caressed my face, further cooling my already naturally chill face to a comfortable degree as I began the trek to my former home. It hadn’t required much time before the freshness of the familiar geography was superseded by my own thoughts, and though I’d never admit it my insecurities. ‘It has been twelve years. Twelve years of training and struggle, but I’m positive I’ve shown myself well. I am worthy of Winter’s Mark.

It took some time but eventually the home of my childhood became visible in the distance. The snow coating the ground, the slight curl of woodsmoke rising from the house, the mountain whos slope started scant yards from the back door, and the picturesque image of the home was like looking directly at a memory of the good times, with not a hair out of place. I stopped for a moment and took it in, the home I’d been born in, the field I had learned to fight in, and the mountain that I’d been sent up and down many, many times. It hadn’t been my home for many years, but it still irrevocably felt like it was home. Another breath later and I started forward again, ecstatic to see Mother and Grandfather again after so long, but steeled to not show it. After all, it is not becoming to project your emotions like that, or so I’d been taught. Shiro had always done his level best to stop me from being as icy on the inside as I was on the out, and over the years had become quite adept at it. ‘My hearth.’ I thought fondly, missing him in the last few days since I had left the village. He hadn’t fully understood why I needed to visit my kin who’d never visited me, he’d understood even less when I said I’d need to venture here alone, but true to form he’d been accepting of it, treating me to the smile that always warmed my chilly soul.

I reached the door and raised my fist to knock, but stopped before rapping on it in a sudden burst of trepidation. ‘What if I am still not ready? What if I’m not worthy?’ The thoughts raced through my mind, expanding on the insecurity I was hiding deep down beneath my cool demeanor and threatening to bring it to the fore. Anxiety began gripping me tight before I took a deep breath, pushing it down and out of the way. ‘I will be worthy, or I won’t be. But now is the time that I will know.’ I told myself coolly, content to repeat it as many times in my mind as I had to until I believed it as I rapped my knuckles against the door. The bell rung I took a step back, clasping my hands behind my back as I waited to see who from my past would walk back into my life first.

It took less than a minute before a woman opened the door and ran her gaze over me. There were several strands of grey in her dark hair, and she seemed a tad more hunched than I recalled but the seemingly sad, slight smile that she favored me with was undeniably that of my mothers. I returned the small smile with one of my own as I bowed slightly and stated, “Mother, I have returned.” I watched as she reached out and cupped my cheek, much how she had at the train station all those years ago. However, where I remembered gooseflesh from her cold touch before now her skin was almost warm against my face as she gently pulled my face upward and gazed over who I had become.

After some time Mother finally replied, So you have Kaito. So you have. Come in. She released my face and gestured for me to follow as she retreated deeper into the home and headed in the direction of the kitchen. I obeyed, closing the door behind me as I moved to follow her. Entering the small kitchen she motioned for me to sit as she prepared two cups of tea for us. As she prepped them she asked, So, tell me. Have you served as expected?

I politely waited until she had finished preparing the tea and had joined me at the small table, giving the tea a small sip before replying, “Yes Mother. I have proven myself again and again in service of Kumogakure. I have preformed my duties with grace and diligence, just as I was taught.

She quietly nodded along as she drank from her own cup. Then, you’ve returned because you believe you are worthy? She ventured, with the slightest inflection up at the end making it seem both a question and statement at the same time.

Drinking down the remaining contents of my cup I caught her gaze in my own and stated with conviction, “I am worthy. I have come to claim Winter’s Mark.” I silently applauded myself at sounding so confident, when in reality I was still trying to believe it myself. ‘I will be worthy, or I won’t be. But now is the time that I will know.’ I continued to remind myself, knowing that I’d begun a timer on convincing myself of this fact. Once I met with Grandfather he would know the truth.

Mother must have heard the conviction in my voice that I had hoped for as she nodded once and glanced at her drink. She studied for a moment before looking back to me, Very well. You should be off to see Grandfather then. He is out on the mountain, at the training area there. You remember where it is? I nodded, I remembered it all to well. At my nod she continued, Very good. Then you should not dawdle. I nodded again, and placed my cup on the table as I rose. I moved for the door before stopping briefly at the call of my name. I turned to look as Mother stated, Kaito. I sincerely hope you are right. The same, sad smile spread on her face as she watched me intently.

I returned the smile, “Thank you for the tea.” and turned and left, curious and concerned over what had just transpired. ‘The way she had looked at me, I distinctly feel like a man going to the gallows.’ I thought as I exited the house and looked up the slope of the mountain. I gazed up in a vain attempt to see where I had trained with Grandfather so many times before, but knew it was no use, the spot couldn’t be seen from this far down the mountain. Lifting my hood back over my head I continued to steel myself, building my confidence as much as I could as I began the trek upward. The answer to a decades old question was up there, and I was still scared that I was wrong about the answer. ‘I will be worthy, or I won’t be. But now is the time that I will know.

---Later---

It had taken time, not least of all because it had been twelve years since I’d last seen this place, but I found the familiar trails and followed them to the training area where Grandfather had begun my instruction. The air was colder up here, with the wind constantly ripping at you. A permanent layer of snow dusted the ground, covering the many jutting rocks beneath making the area hazardous to maneuver through. Even through my natural disposition to the cold and thick coat I could feel heat being leeched from me, threatening to make me sluggish and hypothermic in a way I hadn’t been in years. ‘In a way I haven’t been since I left.’ I thought as the unfamiliar sensation caused my hands and face to erupt into gooseflesh. As I steeled myself against the weather I continued to look over the familiar surroundings until I finally spotted him. ‘Grandfather.

Twelve years ago Grandfather had been old, not he should be practically ancient. However, he looked nothing of the sort. His white hair and open jacket pulled around his person as the wind attempted to whip him to and fro, yet he sat resolute. With eyes closed and his hands resting in his lap he looked distinctly meditative and content, despite the fact that he should be frozen. Snowdrifts had begun forming around his sitting form and in his lap and the only indication that he wasn’t frozen solid was the steady puffs of air that left his nostrils at a regular, slow interval. I began my approach slowly and surely, not wishing to trip as I moved towards Grandfather’s still form. As I came within speaking distance I heart my Grandfather’s voice cut through the incessant howling. Γιατί ήρθες.

The words reached me clearly, and the tone was just as cool as I remembered. He had not moved except to speak, but I knew that he did not expect to have to wait for a reply. ‘I will be worthy, or I won’t be. But now is the time that I will know.’ I reminded myself as I squared my shoulders and stared at the statuesque man. “ Ήρθα να διεκδικήσω το σημάδι του Γουίντερ. Ήρθα γιατί είμαι άξιος.

His eyes exploded open, the icy blue depths rooting me in position as he responded, Και τι έκανες για να το αξίζεις. The lethargy that had begun to grip my body all at once invaded my mind as I locked eyes with him, and unless my mind was playing tricks then the area had just gotten significantly colder. That gaze, the one I still saw in my toughest moments threatened to steel all the iron from my spine and leave me crumbled in a heap for daring to have believed I deserved to be here. I very nearly did as I began to feel a slight tremor in my knees.

I will be worthy, or I won’t be. But now is the time that I will know.

I steeled myself and returned the ice-filled gaze with as much intensity as I could as I spoke. “ Έχω εκπαιδευτεί, έχω ματώσει, έχω πολεμήσει, και έχω σκοτώσει γι ' αυτή τη γη. Επέστρεψα για να διεκδικήσω ό, τι είναι δικό μου για να συνεχίσω τον αγώνα. Έχω αφιερώσει στην άμυνα των χωρών, γι ' αυτό είμαι άξιος.” I held his gaze, not even daring to blink, not even daring to breathe as he seemingly gazed at my very soul, judging it and weighing my words.

I began to feel burning in my lungs and watering in my eyes in the longest moment of my entire life when he stood abruptly and finally replied. Θα δούμε, με τον ένα ή τον άλλο τρόπο. Αν δεν είσαι, η Χιονάτη θα θάψει τα κόκκαλά σου. With that he turned and began moving more swiftly than he should have been able to for a large flat topped boulder at waist height. Mostly drowned by the wind I could have sworn I heard, Ελπίζω να είσαι έτοιμος. I did not have time to think on what I believed I’d heard as those piercing eyes were lain on me once again and was beckoned forward. I moved forward as steadily and fluidly as I could despite the growing heaviness I felt in my extremities. I stood next to Grandfather as he gave me a final, appraising look before pointing towards the waist high rock. Γδύσου και ξάπλωσε. Τότε, θα ξεκινήσουμε.

The command was curt, but also buked no argument. ‘This is what I returned for.’ I reminded myself as I forced already numb fingers to lower the hood of my jacket and unzip it from my body. I shrugged out of the jacket, immediately feeling the body heat it’d been holding in dissipate. I dragged the long-sleeved shirt I’d been wearing underneath over my head, as well as the undershirt that had been under that off. Suddenly, my torso was bear in the face of some of the coldest weather I had ever experienced, and yet again I felt my reserve waning. I certainly didn’t want to continue disrobing, in fact I wanted to bundle up as much as possible and never feel this cold again. ‘I will be worthy, or I won’t be. But now is the time that I will know.’ I found myself chanting inwardly again as my hands clumsily worked at my belt and pants. I pulled them down around my boots which I then stepped out of, immediately feeling the cold seep into me exponentially faster. Gooseflesh covered my entire body and the cold was digging ever deeper in my mind, slowing my thoughts to what felt like a crawl. The only thought that held any clarity was the mantra I had taken since deciding to return. ‘I will be worthy, or I won’t be. But now is the time that I will know.’ I hopped onto the stone and laid down, staring up into the angry clouds above as I continued to lose all sensation of my body at an increasing rate. Violent tremors were racking my body but it was doing nothing to combat the cold. I was either getting delirious, which was distinctly possible, but it seemed to be getting even colder as the wind picked up yet another octave.

Grandfather watched me shake for several long moments before clearly stating over the howling, Ξυπνήστε έναν άνθρωπο του χειμώνα, ή να μην ξυπνήσει καθόλου. At this utterance he placed a hand on my forehead and at the center of my chest and began to speak. Between the cold seeping out the last vestiges of warmth from my body and the louder and louder howling of the wind the words he spoke were lost to me. After another minute the cold no longer felt cold but instead was scalding. If I could still think I would have pondered it but where the snow touched my back and buttocks I felt as if I was on fire. Where the wind whipped snowflakes against my bare flesh it felt as if hot magma was being dripped on me.

I…. Worthy…. Not…. Will know…’ I tried to hold onto the thought that had carried me this far but the paradoxical sensations and befuddlement were overwhelming me. I knew I should be doing something but I was just so tired… And this place was so warm… It’d be fine if…. Quick…. Nap….

Yes. I do believe you shall suffice.<i></i>”

I felt myself jolt awake at the voice in my ear, launching to my feet and falling into a battle stance as I scanned the area. Snow was piled high around me in the immediate area as I searched for threats with a practiced eye. Curiously, I found none, and after double checking my own observation began to relax. ‘Then, who just spoke to me… and where am…’ All at once my thoughts caught up with my body as I jolted at the memories of what had occurred and attempted to make sense of it. I stood on the flat topped boulder I had been laying on before, but the weather had markedly improved. The wind had stopped howling like a banshee, the clouds had parted and I felt downright comfortable.

…How am I so comfortable?’ The realization confused and concerned me. I was still naked, standing in ankle high snow on the rock I’d been laying on, but I felt as warm as any good day of summer while wrapped in a light jacket. The sensation did not mesh with the brutalizing cold I knew I should be feeling. Stepping off the rock I landed in snow that came to my mid-calf, yet despite the fact that my feet should be freezing from being buried in the snow I felt no different. ‘Why can’t I feel cold?’ I thought as I moved to dig into the snow to gather my clothes. As I reached forward though I found that I had a mark on the back on my hand. Not just my left, but a mark on the right as well. ‘What in the hell?’ The thought was crystal clear and resoundingly loud as I stared at the tattoo’s that had, seemingly, appeared out of thin air on the backs of both hands.

As I reached forward again intent on digging out my clothes from the snow a bright blue began to emanate from the mark on my left hand before the snow altogether shifted out of the way, digging my clothes out of its own volition. “They aren’t even frozen…?” I whispered aloud as I touched them in further confusion, knowing they should be frozen and cold to the touch, but finding them as warm and malleable as if freshly laundered. “None of this makes any freaking sense.” I muttered to myself as I quickly got dressed to start hiking the hell out of here. It was only after I’d finished dressing that one of the biggest differences in my immediate area finally leapt to mind. ‘Where is Grandfather?’ I looked about yet again, seeing if I had somehow missed something in the last half dozen times I’d looked over the area, but found nothing different. “Παππού.” I called out, now thoroughly unnerved by everything that was happening. I searched more of the area, but not only did not find him, I found no traces of where he’d gone.

Leaving the area I began racing down the mountain to Mother’s house hoping to find Grandfather there, or at the very least find at least some answers. It took very little time compared to the trek up to reach her house where I wasted no time and flew in through the door. I found Mother sitting in a chair by a rolling fire that made the whole room feel stiflingly hot. She looked up from the fire, and spotting me offered me a smile as I began, “Mother, have you seen Grandfather? We were up on the mountain, and he said we would preform some ritual, but when I woke up I couldn’t find him, and I wasn’t cold anymore when before I’d been freezing, and when I went to collect my… clothes…?” I broke off my explanation as I realized she had raised a finger to her lips and was quietly shushing me. She calmly set her drink down and rose to walk towards me as I stared at her in ever deepening confusion. As she approached the final bit of my composure cracked and I all but whimpered, “What on earth is happening?

She clucked in the same way she had when I was a child, admonishing me, Stop whimpering. It is unbecoming for a man of winter. I began to start again, to ask more questions and get some clarification when she placed a finger on my lips, shushing me yet again before continuing, Enough. You now bear Winter’s Mark, as Grandfather bore before you. You are here and your grandfather is not because you were found to be more worthy than he was. Those found worthy bear the mark carry within them the spirit of Winter, while those found wanting give themselves to it. It is a secret we have carried for generations and is the source of all of our abilities with ice. While all of us are capable with manipulation, the true master is whoever bears the mark. It was your grandfather, and now it is you.

My thoughts were a turmoil as I attempted to parse what Mother was telling me, but having very little luck. “Why wouldn’t you tell me? All these years and I thought it was just a rite of passage to be a man of the clan when in reality its closer to patricide?” The accusation was thick in my voice as I spoke, but I couldn’t bring myself to try and hide it.

Mother shook her head, that sad smile on her face as she answered, Kaito, that’s just it. It isn’t patricide. All men of winter live on in the mark. As to why you weren’t told, well. she paused for a moment as she shrugged her shoulders It is simply our way.

It… Is simply our way.” I repeated, dumbfounded. I felt lied to on something I’d been training my whole life for and simply couldn’t shake the feeling of betrayal. My brain was sticking on that last sentence. I simply couldn’t fathom what I’d been told, and why I hadn’t been told before. “So, I now carry a spirit inside of me, as well as the spirits of my ancestors, but I couldn’t know about it because… ‘it is simply our way’?” My mothers small, smiling nod was her only answer, but it was also the last thing I wanted to see. Flipping around I stated over my shoulder, “Then our ways are wrong. Goodbye.” Before storming out the door. I left the house and stormed across the yard, moving quickly in the direction of town and the train station with a disgusting taste in my mouth.

hehehe. Yes, I believe this union will do nicely.<i></i>”
"Get up."

"Get up."

"You will address me in the tongue of our people or you will be silent!"

"Yes... Yes Grandfather."

"Boy, you will bring honor to our name. You will train, bleed, and fight until you are worthy of Winter's Mark, or you will not return at all. Am I understood?"

"Yes Grandfather!"

"Practice our tongue. Your speech is awful."

"Why have you come?"

"I have come to claim Winter's Mark. I have come because I am worthy."

"And what have you done to be worthy of it?"

"I have trained, I have bled, I have fought, and I have killed for this land. I have returned to claim what is mine so I may continue the fight. I have dedicated to this countries defense, THAT is why I am worthy."

"We shall see, one way or another. If you are not, snow will bury your bones."

"I hope you are ready."

"Disrobe and lay down. Then, we shall begin."

"Awake a man of Winter, or do not wake at all."

"Grandfather?"

Saitou Rei

Yen
ASP
Deaths
OOC Rank
S
Name: Approved
OCR Type: Free Patch OCR
Branch/Rank: Approved
Description: Looks good to me.
History: Also looks good!

Learning Vulgar Kumogakurian: Approved!

Clan: N/A
Bloodline: Haku -- Approved [free patch swap]
Kinjutsu: Jinchuuriki -- Approved [free patch swap]

Custom Class: Approved
Stats: Approved
Jutsu Swaps: Approved (1-for-1 swaps, no yen/ASP adjustment needed for this)
Other Refunds: 3 augments = 2400 * 3 = +7,200 Yen

Just waiting on second approval from Cloud council, who will handle yen adjustment.
[lb2][/lb2]
Keikoku Sendo said:
Old Character Name: Keikoku Sendo
Old Village/Missing: Cloud
OCR Type: Transition rebirth
Last Known Where-abouts: To the Mountains[SSM]
Old IC Rank: Chuunin

New Character Name: Toshiro Kaito
Preferred Username: Toshiro Kaito
New Village/Missing: Cloud
New BL/CA: Haku
Custom Class:
Custom Class said:
Arctic Envoy
HP: (40+lvl) x stamina
CP: (60+lvl) x chakra control
Class Bonus: Kinjutsu
High: Ninjutsu Accuracy
Average: Evasion, Genjutsu Save, Genjutsu DC
Low: Ranged Accuracy, Melee Accuracy

Main Branch/ANBU/Med-Nin: Main Branch
IC Rank: Chuunin
Character Age: 24
Sex: Male
Character's Physical Description: Kaito is of average height, around five feet seven inches tall, and is built very slimly. His brown hair often falls across his face, slightly obscuring his piercing blue eyes from view. He possesses a very pale complexion, as if his skin has never seen the light of day before. Two tattoos mark the backs of his hands, marking points where energies have been shunted into his body. When manipulating ice a bright blue light shines from the tattoo on his left hand, slowly enlargening and spreading up his arm as his connection to the Ice Lord deepens. Additionally, when his dark seal is activated spider webbed lines originating from his right hand spread across his entirety in a flash, giving him a distinct 'shattered ice' look across his body.

Character's Mental Description: Kaito is an even-tempered individual by most accounts. It can be assumed that he has a chilly personality at first glance, but in reality that is due to his conscious decision to be percieved as collected and slightly aloof as he feels it gives him an air of experience. Kaito is often hyper conscious of his appearance and demeanor, often striving to seem as graceful as possible.

Multiple Personality Application: n/a
Clan Request: n/a
Death/Retirement Thread: n/a
Old Profile: Profile
Old Training: Training
Old Dojo: Dojo

Old Stats:
Agility: 544
Stamina: 600
Ninjutsu: 448
Taijutsu: 555
Chakra Control: 525
CL: 13

Old OOC Rank: S-Rank

Stat Cut: n/a

New Stats:
Agility: 600
Stamina: 572
Ninjutsu: 600
Taijutsu: 300
Chakra Control: 600
Class: 13

New OOC Rank: S-Rank

Jutsu Mastery Swaps:

E Rank:
Body Switch [lvl 2] - Keeping

D Rank:
Cancel [lvl 2] - Keeping

C Rank:
Blade Trail [lvl 2] -> Grand Waterfall [lvl 2]
Zero Slash Counter [lvl 2] -> Impaling Hydro Jet [lvl 2]
Vanishing Slash [lvl 2] -> Ice Shards [lvl 2]
Expel [lvl 2] -> Frigid Ice Blast [lvl 2]
Shadow Dance [lvl 2] -> Arctic Aether [lvl 2]
Chakra Extension [lvl 2] -> Tempest [lvl 2]

B Rank:
Lotus Flower [lvl 2] -> Ice Transmutation [lvl 2]
Executioner [lvl 2] -> Snowflake Shuriken [lvl 2]
Magnum Break [lvl 2] -> Crystallize [lvl 2]
Unbound [lvl 2] -> Ice Prison [lvl 2]
Cursed Sealing [lvl 2] - Keeping

A Rank:
Annihilation [lvl 2] -> Falling Snow [lvl 2]
Zantetsuken [lvl 2] -> Subzero Purge [lvl 2]
Higuma [lvl 2] -> Hailstorm [lvl 2]

Other Refunds:
Augments:
Freeflow

Bloodrack

Razor Strike

Name of any Contract you currently own: n/a
Name of any Cursed Seals you currently own: I’m making this character with one? Not sure if that needs approval here or not.
Name of Kinjutsu you own: I’m applying to Jinchuuriki-Spiritual with my History

Misc: I’d also like to utilize my history for speaking vulgar kumo.

Character History:
Σηκωθεί. I heard as reality began to reassert itself around me with a gut wrenching swiftness as I struggled momentarily to open my eyes grasp my bearings. A grey cloud filled sky stared back at me as I opened my eyes completely, blinded for a moment by the emptiness. I could feel the soft snow beneath me beginning to melt, the cold water soaking into my thick coat and pants, leeching the warmth from my bones. I felt groggy as I turned my head towards the voice, feeling the soft snow sticking to my hair in clumps. An involuntary shiver coursed throughout my body as my eyes focused on the figure that stood several feet to my side, and I wasn’t convinced that it was entirely from the cold.

His long brown hair was tied back in a simple ponytail that reached his midback as his light jacket swung openly in the wind that pulled at us both. Body parts were feeling lead filled as tremors continued to rack my body, yet there he stood, looking as content as if we stood warm next to the hearth. The expression he favored me with was as cold as the ground beneath me as his pale blue eyes pierced into mine. I stared back into his shockingly blue eyes for only a moment, but apparently that moment was to long. His brow furrowed slightly as he barked his order at me once again, this time slightly louder. Σηκωθεί.

I rolled to my stomach and struggled to get on my hands and knees to rise. My arms and legs refused to respond until I concentrated, willing them into slow, agonizing motion. I’d managed to struggle to my hands and knees when I finally responded, “Yes grandfather.” As soon as the words had left my mouth I knew I had made a mistake in using common, but even if I hadn’t his immediate grunt of disapproval would have been reminder enough. That, and the foot that caught me in the ribs mere moments later, flipping me back onto my back and driving the air from my lungs. Θα μου απευθύνεσαι στη γλώσσα του λαού μας, αλλιώς θα σιωπήσεις. grandfather admonished from his position over me as I coughed painfully, desperately attempting to refill my lungs with the biting cold air.

Wheezing for several more long moments I finally managed to work out, Ναι... Ναι Παππού. Grunting in what must have been satisfaction he took several measured steps backward, giving me room to find my feet. Once again I painfully rolled to my stomach and willed my limbs to move as I slowly struggled to stand. I wavered slightly as I took long seconds of merciful stillness to try and collect myself before I saw my cue. Grandfather’s arm raised until it was pointing my direction before offering a ‘come on’ gesture. I knew it meant I needed to attack but it was getting more and more difficult to force my body to move when I couldn’t feel most of it. ‘If you don’t move now you’ll hurt way worse stupid.’ I chided myself as I lurched forward to attack once again. ‘With any luck, this time I won’t pass out.’ I thought as I closed on the man who hadn’t moved from his ‘come here gesture’.

It was really wishful thinking.

----Later---

I sprawled on the ground next to the hearth fire as I attempted to cease being in the vain hope that it would make the pain go away. As warmth filled me it brought back the feelings in my arms and legs, but with returned feeling came the aches, pains, and exertions of the day. A low groan weaseled past my lips before I could bite it off which resulted in my mother offering a hard clucking admonishment. Hearing her rise she approached and continued, Enough of that. It is unbecoming to whine. Despite the slight scolding, I still felt as she began gently massaging some of the aches out of my body. The slight improvement was almost euphoric. Kaito, you’re twelve years old now. You’ll be leaving to the village soon and you need to be prepared. It will not do to be found wanting. Mother reminded me in a tone that was gentle but not overly kind.

I thought for a moment as she helped to alleviate some of the muscle soreness I had before responding, “Is that why grandfather tests me so? Because he wants me ready to join the academy?

I could hear the slight upturn of her lips as she replied, Yes… and no. Your grandfather and I want you prepared yes, because our clan is one of graceful perfection and we expect you to serve with distinction. She paused for a moment, as if mentally debating herself before continuing, But it is more than that. More than he wants you to excel as a shinobi, he wants to know if you are worthy of having Winter’s Mark passed to you. That is why he pushes as hard as he does, because it is the only way you’ll ever be worthy.

I thought on her words, and truthfully it was a great exercise for taking my mind from the pain that was my body, and mulled them around my mind. ‘Me? Worthy of Winter’s Mark? Grandfather finding me worthy? I don’t know if it’s possible for it to be passed to me.’ With my thoughts came some of the amazing feats I had seen my grandfather perform with Winter’s Mark, things like raising entire fields of razor sharp ice with a snap of his fingers, being seemingly impervious to cold, and even being capable of freezing an outdoor fire with the wave of a hand. Me? Worthy of power like that?

I lost myself in my thoughts as I pondered what I could do to prove my worth and agonized over things I knew I could have done better, when seemingly all of a sudden Mother patted my shoulder before stating, Alright. Off to bed. You meet Grandfather before the sun is up tomorrow.

----Several months later-----

I stood on the train platform of the nearby town, a small knapsack of clothes placed against my knee as I looked at my mother and grandfather facing me. I was off to enroll in the academy, to join the shinobi forces of Kumogakure, and fight, and quite possibly die, for lightning country. It was possibly the last time I would ever see my direct family again and I had no idea what to do or say. Lacking a good answer I chose instead to hold my poise, and clasped behind my back with a straight spine, and wait as the silent farewell stretched onward. Parts of me wanted to wrap them in a hug, tell them how much I’d miss them and that I hoped to see them, but I knew that I would be rebuked for such a break in demeanor. Eventually, it was my mother who moved first by silently placing her hand against my cheek, cupping it gently. The cold of her hand caused gooseflesh to erupt across my face even as I was warmed by the gesture. I gazed into her eyes for a long moment as she smiled slightly, almost sadly, at me. The silence stretched so long I almost broke my composure and told her how badly I’d miss her when she finally lowered her hand and retreated a step, naturally pushing my eyes towards my grandfather.

Grandfathers eyes were as cold as ever, their bright blue piercing from his sculpted face as he stood perfectly still inspecting me. I attempted to solidify more under his gaze, to show that I had taken his lesson’s on discipline to heart, but if my additional effort was noticed he made no show of it. He appraised me for a second longer before finally barking, Θα τιμήσεις το όνομά μας. Θα εκπαιδευτείτε, να ματώσουν, και να πολεμήσουν μέχρι να είστε άξιοι του Χειμώνα Σήμα, ή θα να μην επιστρέψει καθόλου. Έγινα κατανοητός.

I responded almost without thought, Ναι Παππού.

My response earned a non-committal grunt from him as he turned from me and began walking away. He hadn’t gone five steps before he stopped and declared over his shoulder, Εξασκήσου στη γλώσσα μας. Ο λόγος σου είναι απαίσιος. With that he began moving away, hands clasped behind his back with my mother falling in step beside him. Neither paid me a further glance.

---6 months later---

My arm rang with the impact as my sword connected with my opponents, momentarily locking us together. I locked eyes with Shiro, my sparring partner, momentarily before lifting my arm and running through handseals with my free hand. As I began I could feel the power inside me taking form to my will as it was shaped with the appropriate hand gestures while I continued to bear down on Shiro. My actions did not go unnoticed though as I saw his eyes widen a fraction before he disengaged and retreated several feet. He sheathed his weapon almost instantly and began flying into his own handseals, but I knew from experience that it wouldn’t make a difference. I felt the power properly shaped inside me and released it, feeling it pour from my now open hand to shape into a spear of ice. I made positive that the end was blunted before propelling it forward at Shiro with all I was worth. As I’d guessed he hadn’t had enough time to finish whatever jutsu he was performing as the moment I launched the spear he abandoned handseals in an effort to dodge out of the way. ‘Wrong way.’ I thought as I saw his dodge to the left, directly where I’d guessed he’d dodge. This put him directly in line with the projectile with no time to move again. I heard the solid thunk as ice met flesh and Shiro was thrown to the ground. I leaped forward to close distance, falling onto Shiro’s prone form and pinning him down. He struggled against it for a moment but finally relented, Yeah, yeah. I yield, now get off me Kaito!

Inwardly I smirked as I got my feet and rose to a standing position. I offered an accepted hand up as I replied, “That was a good bout Shiro. You almost had me there.” I smiled slightly, hoping to give off good vibes and not many of the smug ones I was feeling. Truthfully, I was feeling downright superior, a feeling that had persisted in the last several months since I officially joined the academy.

Shiro offered me a snort and good hearted shove in the shoulder before replying, Psh, I’d have you a lot more often if you didn’t cheat so much. Who can even do one handed seals anyway?

Me, obviously.’ I thought snidely as we ventured towards the weapons rack and began cleaning the blunted swords. My tone did not echo my thoughts as I replied, “Hey, any advantage I can get right?

I guess. It just isn’t fair Kaito. I’ve been here over a year, you just got here but I’d be surprised if I graduated before you. Isn’t fair that you have this much talent. Shiro complained as we continued cleaning off our weapons.

Yeah, I can see how that’d be frustrating. I stated as I finished my cleaning and replaced the weapon on its rack. My tone was sympathetic, at least I hoped so, as I continued, “But, you’ll graduate soon Shiro. We both will. Hey, want to grab some food?” I asked as I replaced the freshly cleaned weapon on its rack and turning his direction.

A playful grin crossed his face as he looked at me before placing his own cleaned weapon back and quickly adding, Race ya! As soon as the words were out of his mouth he was stampeding off in the direction of the market in an effort to gain a headstart. I took off at practically the same time, quickly setting a pace that I knew Shiro would struggle to match. ‘Have to keep it fun after all.

---2 years later----

I strode through the halls of the Bibliotheca towards the regular room I utilized, my quick pace causing my open jacket to all but billow as I moved with purpose. I moved briskly to the study room I most regularly utilized, spotting the small brush of movement inside. Pausing momentarily at the door I peered in, curious who was researching today and felt a short smile conjure on my face. Shiro lounged in a chair, tossing a ball from hand to hand as he stared at the ceiling intently. ‘If I didn’t know better I’d say he’s deep in thought.’ I thought with a mental chuckle as I opened the door and moved inside. As soon as the door began to creak Shiro turned his attention to the door and me, offering a large, warm smile.

Shiro, what are you doing here?” I asked him as I entered the room completely and shut the door. In reality I had a guess of why he was present, in the study room packed with translation texts, but more so why he’d been kicking around until I arrived.

Isn’t it obvious? I know you’ve been studying Kumo in your spare time between missions and duty, and I want in. You know, anything you can do I can to better and all that stuff from training. So, you gonna help me? The smile he treated me with at that was large and so genuine it was almost painful to see.

The reaction I had to it startled me as my thoughts attempted to grind on despite the momentary hiccup. I started to chuckle a little bit before returning the smile and replying, “Sure, we can study together. But remind me, when have you ever been better than me at something during training?” As I spoke I entered more into the room, taking one of the empty chairs around the table and settling in while grabbing the book I’d been working in the last several weeks.

Shiro laughed as he scooted his chair closer, Kaito, no one likes an ass!

---Later---

Shiro’s head banged into the solid wood of the table with an audible thud as a low groan began to resonate from him. I looked up from the book I’d been working at to see where he was when Shiro spoke, Why are these doodles called letters? What even is all this? There was more, but it was difficult to understand through the table and came out as wordless muttering.

I set my own book back down and moved over to where Shiro sat and patted his back a few times in a ‘there-there’ gesture as I replied, “It isn’t gibberish Shiro, it’s just letters you aren’t used to. Come on, you’ve only been at it a few hours, and I bet you didn’t learn how to read in common in that time either.” I wasn’t sure if my reassurances were working or not, but he did turn his head to a degree so I could understand a bit more of what he was saying. It sounded like ‘stupid bullshit made up doodles’ over and over but I figured I could work with that. Smacking his back a little harder I continued, “Come on! I’ll help you out, okay? Sit up, we don’t have all night.

The smack shouldn’t have hurt but it did seem to startle him as Shiro bolted upright and looked at me. For a moment it seemed that he was trying to decide if I was goofing him or not before he seemingly decided I was genuine and began to smile again and respond, Alright, alright mr. Perfect. Thanks for helping us lowly peasants. I chuckled as well as I pulled my chair closer to be able to sit beside him and work in the same book. As I did Shiro caught my attention as the smile dropped from his face to be replaced by a much more serious one, Kaito… Seriously. Thank you. You’ve been helping me for years. I don’t know where I’d be if we hadn’t met in the academy.

I felt an odd burning sensation rising in my face that confused and alarmed me for an instant. ‘Blushing? Huh?’ Not wanting to draw attention I started, “Alright, lets check these out. This one? That’s called theta, you pronounce it…

----10 years later----

As I stepped from inside the train station I took in a deep breath, feeling the crisp coolness of the mountain air fill me from head to toe, rejuvenating me in a way I hadn’t realized I had needed. I exhaled a small cloud as a smile began spreading on my face. ‘I hadn’t realized how much I’d missed this.’ I thought absently as I pulled the hood of my jacket up and began forward into the light snow that had begun as the train had entered the station. The breeze that accompanied it felt refreshing as it caressed my face, further cooling my already naturally chill face to a comfortable degree as I began the trek to my former home. It hadn’t required much time before the freshness of the familiar geography was superseded by my own thoughts, and though I’d never admit it my insecurities. ‘It has been twelve years. Twelve years of training and struggle, but I’m positive I’ve shown myself well. I am worthy of Winter’s Mark.

It took some time but eventually the home of my childhood became visible in the distance. The snow coating the ground, the slight curl of woodsmoke rising from the house, the mountain whos slope started scant yards from the back door, and the picturesque image of the home was like looking directly at a memory of the good times, with not a hair out of place. I stopped for a moment and took it in, the home I’d been born in, the field I had learned to fight in, and the mountain that I’d been sent up and down many, many times. It hadn’t been my home for many years, but it still irrevocably felt like it was home. Another breath later and I started forward again, ecstatic to see Mother and Grandfather again after so long, but steeled to not show it. After all, it is not becoming to project your emotions like that, or so I’d been taught. Shiro had always done his level best to stop me from being as icy on the inside as I was on the out, and over the years had become quite adept at it. ‘My hearth.’ I thought fondly, missing him in the last few days since I had left the village. He hadn’t fully understood why I needed to visit my kin who’d never visited me, he’d understood even less when I said I’d need to venture here alone, but true to form he’d been accepting of it, treating me to the smile that always warmed my chilly soul.

I reached the door and raised my fist to knock, but stopped before rapping on it in a sudden burst of trepidation. ‘What if I am still not ready? What if I’m not worthy?’ The thoughts raced through my mind, expanding on the insecurity I was hiding deep down beneath my cool demeanor and threatening to bring it to the fore. Anxiety began gripping me tight before I took a deep breath, pushing it down and out of the way. ‘I will be worthy, or I won’t be. But now is the time that I will know.’ I told myself coolly, content to repeat it as many times in my mind as I had to until I believed it as I rapped my knuckles against the door. The bell rung I took a step back, clasping my hands behind my back as I waited to see who from my past would walk back into my life first.

It took less than a minute before a woman opened the door and ran her gaze over me. There were several strands of grey in her dark hair, and she seemed a tad more hunched than I recalled but the seemingly sad, slight smile that she favored me with was undeniably that of my mothers. I returned the small smile with one of my own as I bowed slightly and stated, “Mother, I have returned.” I watched as she reached out and cupped my cheek, much how she had at the train station all those years ago. However, where I remembered gooseflesh from her cold touch before now her skin was almost warm against my face as she gently pulled my face upward and gazed over who I had become.

After some time Mother finally replied, So you have Kaito. So you have. Come in. She released my face and gestured for me to follow as she retreated deeper into the home and headed in the direction of the kitchen. I obeyed, closing the door behind me as I moved to follow her. Entering the small kitchen she motioned for me to sit as she prepared two cups of tea for us. As she prepped them she asked, So, tell me. Have you served as expected?

I politely waited until she had finished preparing the tea and had joined me at the small table, giving the tea a small sip before replying, “Yes Mother. I have proven myself again and again in service of Kumogakure. I have preformed my duties with grace and diligence, just as I was taught.

She quietly nodded along as she drank from her own cup. Then, you’ve returned because you believe you are worthy? She ventured, with the slightest inflection up at the end making it seem both a question and statement at the same time.

Drinking down the remaining contents of my cup I caught her gaze in my own and stated with conviction, “I am worthy. I have come to claim Winter’s Mark.” I silently applauded myself at sounding so confident, when in reality I was still trying to believe it myself. ‘I will be worthy, or I won’t be. But now is the time that I will know.’ I continued to remind myself, knowing that I’d begun a timer on convincing myself of this fact. Once I met with Grandfather he would know the truth.

Mother must have heard the conviction in my voice that I had hoped for as she nodded once and glanced at her drink. She studied for a moment before looking back to me, Very well. You should be off to see Grandfather then. He is out on the mountain, at the training area there. You remember where it is? I nodded, I remembered it all to well. At my nod she continued, Very good. Then you should not dawdle. I nodded again, and placed my cup on the table as I rose. I moved for the door before stopping briefly at the call of my name. I turned to look as Mother stated, Kaito. I sincerely hope you are right. The same, sad smile spread on her face as she watched me intently.

I returned the smile, “Thank you for the tea.” and turned and left, curious and concerned over what had just transpired. ‘The way she had looked at me, I distinctly feel like a man going to the gallows.’ I thought as I exited the house and looked up the slope of the mountain. I gazed up in a vain attempt to see where I had trained with Grandfather so many times before, but knew it was no use, the spot couldn’t be seen from this far down the mountain. Lifting my hood back over my head I continued to steel myself, building my confidence as much as I could as I began the trek upward. The answer to a decades old question was up there, and I was still scared that I was wrong about the answer. ‘I will be worthy, or I won’t be. But now is the time that I will know.

---Later---

It had taken time, not least of all because it had been twelve years since I’d last seen this place, but I found the familiar trails and followed them to the training area where Grandfather had begun my instruction. The air was colder up here, with the wind constantly ripping at you. A permanent layer of snow dusted the ground, covering the many jutting rocks beneath making the area hazardous to maneuver through. Even through my natural disposition to the cold and thick coat I could feel heat being leeched from me, threatening to make me sluggish and hypothermic in a way I hadn’t been in years. ‘In a way I haven’t been since I left.’ I thought as the unfamiliar sensation caused my hands and face to erupt into gooseflesh. As I steeled myself against the weather I continued to look over the familiar surroundings until I finally spotted him. ‘Grandfather.

Twelve years ago Grandfather had been old, not he should be practically ancient. However, he looked nothing of the sort. His white hair and open jacket pulled around his person as the wind attempted to whip him to and fro, yet he sat resolute. With eyes closed and his hands resting in his lap he looked distinctly meditative and content, despite the fact that he should be frozen. Snowdrifts had begun forming around his sitting form and in his lap and the only indication that he wasn’t frozen solid was the steady puffs of air that left his nostrils at a regular, slow interval. I began my approach slowly and surely, not wishing to trip as I moved towards Grandfather’s still form. As I came within speaking distance I heart my Grandfather’s voice cut through the incessant howling. Γιατί ήρθες.

The words reached me clearly, and the tone was just as cool as I remembered. He had not moved except to speak, but I knew that he did not expect to have to wait for a reply. ‘I will be worthy, or I won’t be. But now is the time that I will know.’ I reminded myself as I squared my shoulders and stared at the statuesque man. “ Ήρθα να διεκδικήσω το σημάδι του Γουίντερ. Ήρθα γιατί είμαι άξιος.

His eyes exploded open, the icy blue depths rooting me in position as he responded, Και τι έκανες για να το αξίζεις. The lethargy that had begun to grip my body all at once invaded my mind as I locked eyes with him, and unless my mind was playing tricks then the area had just gotten significantly colder. That gaze, the one I still saw in my toughest moments threatened to steel all the iron from my spine and leave me crumbled in a heap for daring to have believed I deserved to be here. I very nearly did as I began to feel a slight tremor in my knees.

I will be worthy, or I won’t be. But now is the time that I will know.

I steeled myself and returned the ice-filled gaze with as much intensity as I could as I spoke. “ Έχω εκπαιδευτεί, έχω ματώσει, έχω πολεμήσει, και έχω σκοτώσει γι ' αυτή τη γη. Επέστρεψα για να διεκδικήσω ό, τι είναι δικό μου για να συνεχίσω τον αγώνα. Έχω αφιερώσει στην άμυνα των χωρών, γι ' αυτό είμαι άξιος.” I held his gaze, not even daring to blink, not even daring to breathe as he seemingly gazed at my very soul, judging it and weighing my words.

I began to feel burning in my lungs and watering in my eyes in the longest moment of my entire life when he stood abruptly and finally replied. Θα δούμε, με τον ένα ή τον άλλο τρόπο. Αν δεν είσαι, η Χιονάτη θα θάψει τα κόκκαλά σου. With that he turned and began moving more swiftly than he should have been able to for a large flat topped boulder at waist height. Mostly drowned by the wind I could have sworn I heard, Ελπίζω να είσαι έτοιμος. I did not have time to think on what I believed I’d heard as those piercing eyes were lain on me once again and was beckoned forward. I moved forward as steadily and fluidly as I could despite the growing heaviness I felt in my extremities. I stood next to Grandfather as he gave me a final, appraising look before pointing towards the waist high rock. Γδύσου και ξάπλωσε. Τότε, θα ξεκινήσουμε.

The command was curt, but also buked no argument. ‘This is what I returned for.’ I reminded myself as I forced already numb fingers to lower the hood of my jacket and unzip it from my body. I shrugged out of the jacket, immediately feeling the body heat it’d been holding in dissipate. I dragged the long-sleeved shirt I’d been wearing underneath over my head, as well as the undershirt that had been under that off. Suddenly, my torso was bear in the face of some of the coldest weather I had ever experienced, and yet again I felt my reserve waning. I certainly didn’t want to continue disrobing, in fact I wanted to bundle up as much as possible and never feel this cold again. ‘I will be worthy, or I won’t be. But now is the time that I will know.’ I found myself chanting inwardly again as my hands clumsily worked at my belt and pants. I pulled them down around my boots which I then stepped out of, immediately feeling the cold seep into me exponentially faster. Gooseflesh covered my entire body and the cold was digging ever deeper in my mind, slowing my thoughts to what felt like a crawl. The only thought that held any clarity was the mantra I had taken since deciding to return. ‘I will be worthy, or I won’t be. But now is the time that I will know.’ I hopped onto the stone and laid down, staring up into the angry clouds above as I continued to lose all sensation of my body at an increasing rate. Violent tremors were racking my body but it was doing nothing to combat the cold. I was either getting delirious, which was distinctly possible, but it seemed to be getting even colder as the wind picked up yet another octave.

Grandfather watched me shake for several long moments before clearly stating over the howling, Ξυπνήστε έναν άνθρωπο του χειμώνα, ή να μην ξυπνήσει καθόλου. At this utterance he placed a hand on my forehead and at the center of my chest and began to speak. Between the cold seeping out the last vestiges of warmth from my body and the louder and louder howling of the wind the words he spoke were lost to me. After another minute the cold no longer felt cold but instead was scalding. If I could still think I would have pondered it but where the snow touched my back and buttocks I felt as if I was on fire. Where the wind whipped snowflakes against my bare flesh it felt as if hot magma was being dripped on me.

I…. Worthy…. Not…. Will know…’ I tried to hold onto the thought that had carried me this far but the paradoxical sensations and befuddlement were overwhelming me. I knew I should be doing something but I was just so tired… And this place was so warm… It’d be fine if…. Quick…. Nap….

Yes. I do believe you shall suffice.<i></i>”

I felt myself jolt awake at the voice in my ear, launching to my feet and falling into a battle stance as I scanned the area. Snow was piled high around me in the immediate area as I searched for threats with a practiced eye. Curiously, I found none, and after double checking my own observation began to relax. ‘Then, who just spoke to me… and where am…’ All at once my thoughts caught up with my body as I jolted at the memories of what had occurred and attempted to make sense of it. I stood on the flat topped boulder I had been laying on before, but the weather had markedly improved. The wind had stopped howling like a banshee, the clouds had parted and I felt downright comfortable.

…How am I so comfortable?’ The realization confused and concerned me. I was still naked, standing in ankle high snow on the rock I’d been laying on, but I felt as warm as any good day of summer while wrapped in a light jacket. The sensation did not mesh with the brutalizing cold I knew I should be feeling. Stepping off the rock I landed in snow that came to my mid-calf, yet despite the fact that my feet should be freezing from being buried in the snow I felt no different. ‘Why can’t I feel cold?’ I thought as I moved to dig into the snow to gather my clothes. As I reached forward though I found that I had a mark on the back on my hand. Not just my left, but a mark on the right as well. ‘What in the hell?’ The thought was crystal clear and resoundingly loud as I stared at the tattoo’s that had, seemingly, appeared out of thin air on the backs of both hands.

As I reached forward again intent on digging out my clothes from the snow a bright blue began to emanate from the mark on my left hand before the snow altogether shifted out of the way, digging my clothes out of its own volition. “They aren’t even frozen…?” I whispered aloud as I touched them in further confusion, knowing they should be frozen and cold to the touch, but finding them as warm and malleable as if freshly laundered. “None of this makes any freaking sense.” I muttered to myself as I quickly got dressed to start hiking the hell out of here. It was only after I’d finished dressing that one of the biggest differences in my immediate area finally leapt to mind. ‘Where is Grandfather?’ I looked about yet again, seeing if I had somehow missed something in the last half dozen times I’d looked over the area, but found nothing different. “Παππού.” I called out, now thoroughly unnerved by everything that was happening. I searched more of the area, but not only did not find him, I found no traces of where he’d gone.

Leaving the area I began racing down the mountain to Mother’s house hoping to find Grandfather there, or at the very least find at least some answers. It took very little time compared to the trek up to reach her house where I wasted no time and flew in through the door. I found Mother sitting in a chair by a rolling fire that made the whole room feel stiflingly hot. She looked up from the fire, and spotting me offered me a smile as I began, “Mother, have you seen Grandfather? We were up on the mountain, and he said we would preform some ritual, but when I woke up I couldn’t find him, and I wasn’t cold anymore when before I’d been freezing, and when I went to collect my… clothes…?” I broke off my explanation as I realized she had raised a finger to her lips and was quietly shushing me. She calmly set her drink down and rose to walk towards me as I stared at her in ever deepening confusion. As she approached the final bit of my composure cracked and I all but whimpered, “What on earth is happening?

She clucked in the same way she had when I was a child, admonishing me, Stop whimpering. It is unbecoming for a man of winter. I began to start again, to ask more questions and get some clarification when she placed a finger on my lips, shushing me yet again before continuing, Enough. You now bear Winter’s Mark, as Grandfather bore before you. You are here and your grandfather is not because you were found to be more worthy than he was. Those found worthy bear the mark carry within them the spirit of Winter, while those found wanting give themselves to it. It is a secret we have carried for generations and is the source of all of our abilities with ice. While all of us are capable with manipulation, the true master is whoever bears the mark. It was your grandfather, and now it is you.

My thoughts were a turmoil as I attempted to parse what Mother was telling me, but having very little luck. “Why wouldn’t you tell me? All these years and I thought it was just a rite of passage to be a man of the clan when in reality its closer to patricide?” The accusation was thick in my voice as I spoke, but I couldn’t bring myself to try and hide it.

Mother shook her head, that sad smile on her face as she answered, Kaito, that’s just it. It isn’t patricide. All men of winter live on in the mark. As to why you weren’t told, well. she paused for a moment as she shrugged her shoulders It is simply our way.

It… Is simply our way.” I repeated, dumbfounded. I felt lied to on something I’d been training my whole life for and simply couldn’t shake the feeling of betrayal. My brain was sticking on that last sentence. I simply couldn’t fathom what I’d been told, and why I hadn’t been told before. “So, I now carry a spirit inside of me, as well as the spirits of my ancestors, but I couldn’t know about it because… ‘it is simply our way’?” My mothers small, smiling nod was her only answer, but it was also the last thing I wanted to see. Flipping around I stated over my shoulder, “Then our ways are wrong. Goodbye.” Before storming out the door. I left the house and stormed across the yard, moving quickly in the direction of town and the train station with a disgusting taste in my mouth.

hehehe. Yes, I believe this union will do nicely.<i></i>”
"Get up."

"Get up."

"You will address me in the tongue of our people or you will be silent!"

"Yes... Yes Grandfather."

"Boy, you will bring honor to our name. You will train, bleed, and fight until you are worthy of Winter's Mark, or you will not return at all. Am I understood?"

"Yes Grandfather!"

"Practice our tongue. Your speech is awful."

"Why have you come?"

"I have come to claim Winter's Mark. I have come because I am worthy."

"And what have you done to be worthy of it?"

"I have trained, I have bled, I have fought, and I have killed for this land. I have returned to claim what is mine so I may continue the fight. I have dedicated to this countries defense, THAT is why I am worthy."

"We shall see, one way or another. If you are not, snow will bury your bones."

"I hope you are ready."

"Disrobe and lay down. Then, we shall begin."

"Awake a man of Winter, or do not wake at all."

"Grandfather?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Current Ninpocho Chronicles Time:

Back