Ninpocho Chronicles

Ninpocho Chronicles is a fantasy-ish setting storyline, set in an alternate universe World of Ninjas, where the Naruto and Boruto series take place. This means that none of the canon characters exists, or existed here.

Each ninja starts from the bottom and start their training as an Academy Student. From there they develop abilities akin to that of demigods as they grow in age and experience.

Along the way they gain new friends (or enemies), take on jobs and complete contracts and missions for their respective villages where their training and skill will be tested to their limits.

The sky is the limit as the blank page you see before you can be filled with countless of adventures with your character in the game.

This is Ninpocho Chronicles.

Current Ninpocho Chronicles Time:

Knock knock, minion! [Requesting Osu]

Shinrya Kitsune

11th Raikage
Staff member
Yen
ASP
Deaths
OOC Rank
S-Rank
Kitsune had business with her minion. Or would that be former minion now that Osuteno was running the hospital itself, which was usually reserved for the Sennin. Well. Kitsune had finally gotten fed up with the paperwork she had to deal with for simple requisitions that she, had she been more assertive in getting her Mednin Chief rank back, would’ve been able to just command be delivered. So, who better to fix this than Osuteno. She knocked on the door to his office and entered.

Osu-kun! I’m gonna need my Chief rank back. I simply can’t deal with all these pencilnecked bureaucrats cutting into my research budgets and preventing simple requisitions for materials. Oh, and, as far as I recall, it’s still against policy to have non-chiefs be heads of departments, yet I’m still Head of the Research Department. It’s been several years now, too. Can we please get the re-promotion done in a swift manner? she asked of the young man, who still looked like a kid as much as he always had.

Osuteno

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Osu’s office was a mess of red threads scribbling and stamping documents. He didn’t even bother looking up as his mentor simply barged into his office with a slight knock and her own heartbeat as a warning.

“You will have to defeat me in combat for it.” His face didn’t betray any emotion other than slight boredom and occasionally displeasure as his eyes scanned documents rather quickly.

Whether his teacher got his joke or not he simply had some threads pull up a chair near his desk and begin to pour a cup of tea from an already hot pot and topped his own cup off.

“Sensei please have a seat,” Osu said while personally stamping a rejected onto a rather audacious request for extremely dangerous substances from the lab that blew the hinges off its own doors at least once a week.

“You might have realized that I am the head of the pencil-necked bureaucrats now, and I have some words before we discuss restoration of your Med Chief rank and duties in the Research department. Please, for the love of Raiden, don’t put me in the awkward position of having to defend your more outlandish materials requests and research proposals. Don’t pretend you haven’t made any. Also while we are at it, treating a vampire to dinner is not a proper reason to request rare blood types! Please don’t fill out requests while you have been drinking either.

As for your lab budgets I am afraid I have to disappoint you a little. I can’t just approve random sums on hunches and ‘it sounds like it would be cool’. You have to acknowledge you are considered a bit of a mad scientist, and the ethics and budget committees are wary of your requests at this point. So… I am gonna need you to take a bit of a detour. To assign a greater budget to your lab I will need you to take on research missions. It is a measure we introduced to bring a bit of profit to balance the honestly horrific budget expenditures of the research division. We have a list of potentially profitable or necessary lines of research, and based on a lab’s progress and how cost effective they are in their research we have a sort of bank of a budget set aside for more personally motivated lines of research. Other than the labs that will also get budget bonuses based on a review of how cleanly organized and complete their results and resource usage reports are. We have had a bit of a problem of resources disappearing for unauthorized experiments or being resold to fill personal coffers so we have been cracking down more…”

At this point, Osu looked up from his paperwork for the first time, and the liquid red orbs stared straight into Kitsune’s eyes. “As a head of research, I will expect whoever holds such a position to take new guidelines like these seriously. If you have even the slightest doubt on the ethicacy of a project, please come speak to me about it first before presenting the request to the board. It will also be your duty to help police the labs to make sure they aren’t skirting or breaking the rules, and help make sure that say anyone isn’t conducting secret unauthorized experiments in the underground floors of their homes using personal funds or outside investments.”

Osu sighed and the whole workroom style productivity of the red threads came to a halt momentarily. “Am I being too subtle Sensei? You should know that despite Kahako-Senpai’s appointment and word that I am trustworthy, the village council and clans were not terribly happy with my rise to Sesshou, you should be aware that some are keeping an eye on me for suspicious activity due to my being your student and the bias held against you from the incident, the event where I was declared rogue by the nation when I was nine, the three year period where I was missing in action, my interactions with that Jashinist cult during that period, and my apparent parentage.

If I am going to reinstate your rank, I am going to need you to promise me to play by the rules firmly and be on your best behavior as annoying and hindering as that might be to you at points. For both our sakes as I can assure you there will be people keeping a close eye on both of us.”

Shinrya Kitsune

11th Raikage
Staff member
Yen
ASP
Deaths
OOC Rank
S-Rank
Kitsune looked around the room, seeing the mess of threads handling paperwork. ”I didn’t know you meant it literally when you said you were the right person for paperwork.” she said, with a suppressed chuckle ”As for the combat, sure. Let’s make the one activity our branch isn’t focused on be the catalyst for promotion and demotion.” she said snarkily before sitting down. “I’m fully aware you’re the head of said pencil-necked bureaucrats. But you’re at least reasonable. And to be fair, that dimiterium was to research how it even worked. The two gallons of blood was because you weren’t around.” she explained and chuckled.

”Well. At best, I’d say I’m an angry scientist. And fine fine. I’ll have my department do the damn research missions.” she said, sighing a bit ”But Osu. If you’re accusing me of taking branch equipment and materials for my own research, I’d like to remind you that my personal income in a month is greater than that of the branch in six months.” she continued, with the last bit being a sort of boast, but said in a manner that just cements it as fact. And it was true. Kitsune had her hands in so many businesses at this point that along with her provinces providing revenue streams, the businesses she have in Kumo, such as Lux, the nightclub, could cut down on costs by getting their goods from the provinces.

”No, you’re not being too subtle. But honestly, the people whose asses are still hurting from the reaming they’ve clearly gotten by me not being executed should get over it already. It’s been over four years. I’m not going anywhere. By now I think most eyes are on you for being the youngest Sesshou we’ve had, period. But yes, I’ll play ball. If anything is questionable, I’ll inform you. Speaking of which, I’ll get Hisako to install a terminal in here, so I can send research cases your way digitally. Oh, and, here’s a single piece of paperwork for you.” she said, then handing Osu a kinjutsu registration form identical to her old one, but with the change that she no longer had Eternal Mangekyou Sharingan noted on it.

”I’m not sure what to call my new ability. So I’ve just written ‘persona’ in that field. Because it appears I can see peoples inner selves, or their shadows, and apply genjutsu to them, or even manifest them. I can do the same with my own too.” she noted ”So. Is that it? I’m Chief again, I just gotta play ball with policy and make sure people don’t bring samples and materials home? If so, I’m gonna make a budget request for surveillance. The research wing doesn’t have much of it, and it’d be a cinch to hook it up to the existing surveillance network I installed while I was Sennin.” she argumented. It’d give Osu a chance to keep an eye on things, and it’d allow Kitsune to make sure she adhered to the conditions stated by Osu.

[MFT; WC: 505]

Osuteno

Yen
ASP
Deaths
“I never said you took branch equipment, I merely suggested that if we barged into the basement floors of your home there feels like a 50/50 chance we would either find dangerous and/or morally questionable experiments or the Hoshikage in bondage. It isn’t just Medical Branch resources we have to police, but research in general. Even if they are using their own personal funds and getting resources on their own we can’t let someone research, say, fusing demonic appendages to themselves or others in their own homes without any sort of oversight or regulations enforced and just trusting them to be responsible with it. Since we started officially taking a broader range of research responsibilities in the branch part of our increased percentage of the village budget actually has been spent on different methods to try and make this task of oversight easier.

For instance, a few months ago I used a hefty chunk of our oversight budget to secretly take over and subsidize a rather widely used lab glass brand, making the purchase price a little cheaper to increase its market edge. We are gradually lowering the prices to simply steal the market. We obviously won’t be making much, if any money back from this, but after this initial costly period we will have a self funded mechanism keeping tabs on who is ordering what sort of test tubes and glass containers and such in this country. In two quarters I plan to do the same with a couple chemical suppliers.

As for the matter of how much you make… Sensei, a ramen shop has greater profits than our branch. A few months back we sold those morons at the Lightning Navy academy a self breaking, warranty voiding, proof of concept artillery cannon for an astronomical sum and we had the profits budgeted for two new fully equipped clinic front safe houses in the south and the rest to various labs within a week. Our branch eats money as fast as we can get our hands on it, and it took me most of the first year of my current position just to make the budget break even, or at least close to it. We had been going well into the hole.” A tendril seemed to be rummaging in a filing cabinet while they spoke and pulled out the expenditures summary of that first quarter where the Med Branch took on most of the village research and laid it in front of Kitsune and tapped at a rather horrifying set of numbers that would make anyone with even the slightest attachment to money feel ill. Even worse, it could eat the income listed for the quarter several times over.

“If I threw a ten yen coin into the hall some researcher would pop up claiming it for research funds. That’s the biggest reason I am shoving research missions down the throats of anyone who comes asking for funds to study whatever obsession currently occupies them be studying and the items they need…” Osu paused to glance at a couple random requests his tendrils were sorting through. “A living giant snail from the poison lake region of the heartland jungle to study the medicinal properties of monstrous snails or… Hmm? A toothbrush that has been used by a fully developed, purple haired Chigokai? All it says here is genetics research… I suppose that isn’t a hard one to fulfill, though I can’t really understand why he needs it. Where were we? Ah yes.

As for the people who still distrust you after what, about 16 years now?… To be fair Sensei the people who died that day were well respected and had their followers. I mean I might not agree with the isolationist and oddly haphazard politics of that particular Raikage but there is the respect for the office. If someone kept quiet about your murderer for a time and allowed them to become your replacement before they brought the truth forward... I might eventually be willing to forgive them, but I would likely never forget. It is simply one of those things you have to live with. I have my own oddly growing list of critics, the main branch sennin is very public about her distaste for me it seems, though for the life of me I can’t figure out why that started. It began when I was still simply a mednin even so it isn’t the fact I am young for my rank with her at least… though I have always had a lot of criticism for that…”

Osu took this opportunity to look over this kinjutsu registration before sighing. “It is always strange when a new one pops up, several people typically show similar signs and symptoms in the same few years. If I didn’t know any better I would say we were in a computer program or such and these are the result of some sort of update… That would make an interesting movie premise… anyway does this mean you will no longer get that noticeably disgusted face when you happen to see into the small openings of my skin and see underneath?” Osu asked amusedly while a patch of flesh on his face peeled back and a writhing mass of blood vessels coiling around each other and slowly start wiggling their way out the opening of his face before the skin returned to its place and the blood vessels retreated.

“I remember that the first few occasions you looked a bit spooked and a vaguely remember a term something like eldritch horror tossed in. I was vaguely hurt, but after a while I took amusement in it something similar to probably what you show when Hisako used to sneak up on me.

But yes, if you swear that you will uphold the dignity of the position, that you will enforce the laws and regulations of the village and branch as well as the orders handed down to you, that you will not try and advertise your beloved student as an all you can eat for vampires, etc etc, yadda yadda yadda, you know the drill, then yeah I can give you your rank of Med Chief back. I swear the lot of us are going to be accused of nepotism.” Osu sighed.

“So to distract people from that I am happy to say I already have a few research missions to shove down your thr- for you to look into. I have a list of things that work in theory but lacking the time to handle them personally, I have the issue of few researchers in the branch being as handy with working with electronics. We are still expanding the general education so most are still solely dedicated to more biological pursuits.” It didn’t help that the rules of the world itself had some limitations on technological boundaries not that Osu not anyone else realized this.

“The first thing I have for you to help me with is… well weather forecasting. I managed to rip a rather lucrative research contract from the hands of the Naval Academy after they were failing to show much progress with it to the Shogunate. We are going to be designing, testing, then deploying radars in researched locations to collect, map, and centralize meteorological data for the country and so far into our surroundings, with the final goal being to possess enough data for professionals to be able to create a seven day forecast with a targeted 85% accuracy. As well as some sort of catchy name like nexrad or such. The most important aspect is to make sure that if when we are done and they possibly attempt to hand over management of the system to the Navy or such, they will just so happen to ‘break it themselves’ when they inevitably try to take them apart to see how they work and ‘void the warranty’. Hear me clearly, they will end up ‘breaking it themselves’ with ‘no doubts to anyone’ as to the fact ‘they broke it’ to the point of being able to fix it, in other words trashing any attempt to reverse engineer the system but making it not look like deliberate sabotage.. I will be sure to include in the fine print that attempts of self maintenance of internal components will, of course, void the warranty.”

Osu sipped a cup of tea that was randomly passed to him by one of the many threads still working about while they spoke. He had been ripping every yen he could from various government organizations and making cruel use of the warranty system a lot these past couple years. In the Navy alone, there were seven high ranking individuals in both the academy and active military duty that had sworn blood feuds against him personally, and one older read admiral swearing to haunt Osu after being ripped off thrice and being forced to retire due to declining health from all the rage and stress.the worst part was that the products worked exceptionally well and exactly as promised so long as they didn’t try and take them apart themselves. But the moment they did it always spelled the end of the machine and had to pay even more than they originally did for a replacement. One senior researcher had even tried to physically assault Osu in a meeting after finding out that the cost of a replacement had mysteriously tripled after calling Osu ‘Jashin himself.’

“There isn’t a huge rush of course, we have 13 months until they expect a mostly finished and working device for examination before we create a network of them. Do expect saboteurs as well, for some reason many people have been making vague comments when they see me. ‘You will have your due soon.’ ‘Do not expect to keep getting your disgusting tendrils into every pocket you can.’ ‘Damn you Chigokai Osuteno, if I must, as Rear Admiral of the 3rd fleet, I will use my own two hands to destroy every project you steal from us.’ And other such subtle messages. Really, I can’t understand why everyone gets so worked up. And if I express my concern and offer to look into their health, they simply get worse. Two of them even coughed blood then had the gall to berate me and question my sanity. Can you believe rejecting medical care with such poor health?” Osu shook his head with an expression like he wasn’t the cause for their attitudes.

Shinrya Kitsune

11th Raikage
Staff member
Yen
ASP
Deaths
OOC Rank
S-Rank
”You’d be 99% likely to take a bullet to the face first, though. Unauthorized access causes the security system to activate. But yes, you’d find Ai-chan in bondage. She likes it. Says it comforts her.” Kitsune said, in a quite deadpan manner. ”But yeah. I get the point, Osu-kun. I do have a few ideas to help in that area, by the by. You know how Uchiha and Hyuuga can see chakra activity, yeah? Well, how about we hook up a Sharingan or Byakugan eyeball to a security system, making it be the camera ‘lens’, but chakra sensitive, so we’d be able to see anyone using chakra within the field of vision of the eye. Add to that a quantifiable scale of chakra energy spikes and we’d be able to pinpoint areas with high chakra usage concentrations.”

It would be a drain on their kinjutsu surgery resources, yes, but it’d also make detection of criminals easier. And at the very least it’d help Osu achieve the desired effect of shutting down unauthorized research. ”Hm. That’d explain why the funding for various experiments got killed.” she said, only a slight bit surprised. Sure, it was a tactic that she hadn’t expected Osu to use, but it was a good one. Definitely would help.

When one of Osus tendrils pointed out the document detailing expenditures, Kitsune grabbed the paper and gave it a quick look. The color drained from her face pretty swiftly. ”How the absolute hell did it get that bad? Didn’t we patent a few things we invented, y’know, like Velcro?” she asked, without expecting a real answer ”I’d have to concede that you’re right Osu-kun. Even my nightclub has a bigger revenue stream than this entire branch. I’d offer additional funding, but then it’d just be viewed as me buying my position back.”

Kitsune chuckled at Osus words about having his own detractors ”To be fair, you’ve always been brighter than your age would indicate. I believed in that back then. And I still do now. Though I gotta admit, the job has darkened you. No wonder with this mountain of paperwork though. Do you need to borrow Hisako?” Kitsune inquired with a sly smirk. Then, when Osu commented on her kinjutsu registration she scratched her head slightly. ”Yeah. No idea there. Could be. And no, I still see those. Just because my Mangekyou Sharingan got a downgrade doesn’t mean my eyes are less sharp. I just… Push it to the back of my mind.”

She paused and with a grin decided to show Osu what she could do now. ”So, now I can do this.” she said and manifested her persona into real space. It looked like Kitsune usually did when she used her cursed seal, except instead of black sclera and red irises, they were inverted. Two black dots in a sea of blood red. ”And I can drag your inner self out as well. Turns out any genjutsu I use on those get applied to their owner. And it’s like the damage they take can’t be healed without proper rest. Great for really fucking someone over in a fight.” she said, chuckling.

When Osu gave the terms she nodded, wordlessly agreeing to the terms. Then, he went on to mention research missions needing doing already and she perked up a bit. ”Electronics, eh? Well, we both know I’m pretty darn good at that given that I wired up the security system for the hospital myself. And Hisako. I’ll see what I can educate some of the researchers in.” she said and nodded, but Osu wasn’t done yet.

”So… Meteorology then? Meaning wind sensors, rain meters, and so on. I may have some schematics lying around in my vault that could be converted into that purpose.” she said and pondered it for a bit. ”Well. I can imagine they’d have their reasons for cursing you. Can’t see which they’d have, but hey. That’s their prerogative. So. Build machinery to handle data collection and transferal of said data back to a central institute for analysis and collation before making data-backed predictions of the weather. Gotcha.”

Current Ninpocho Chronicles Time:

Back