Ninpocho Chronicles

Ninpocho Chronicles is a fantasy-ish setting storyline, set in an alternate universe World of Ninjas, where the Naruto and Boruto series take place. This means that none of the canon characters exists, or existed here.

Each ninja starts from the bottom and start their training as an Academy Student. From there they develop abilities akin to that of demigods as they grow in age and experience.

Along the way they gain new friends (or enemies), take on jobs and complete contracts and missions for their respective villages where their training and skill will be tested to their limits.

The sky is the limit as the blank page you see before you can be filled with countless of adventures with your character in the game.

This is Ninpocho Chronicles.

Current Ninpocho Chronicles Time:

One With the Sea [Contract Search]

Hirateuchi

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Hira simply stared at the large toad, not as a rude gesture, but simply because he wasn't sure what to say. This day just kept on becoming more and more strange. And as if it weren't bad enough that he got mixed in with Gamatobei in the first place, now he was meeting his family. This was all moving at quite a fast pace. A look of confusion steadily growing on his face, Hira's legs carried him to the table without thought, plopping him down and taking the strain off his still-healing wound. He stared at the meal that had been placed in front of him, with anxiety in his eyes but hunger in his stomach.

Hira began to pick at the vegetables on the plate, all of which tasted slightly off, but otherwise fine. Within time a good portion had been consumed, as his eyes slowly crept over to the escargot. The dish was not something that Hira had ever seen before, and the idea of eating snails quite honestly repulsed him to some degree. While he wanted in his heart nothing more than to push the rest of the food away, his stomach growled, showing its disapproval of the plan. There was also the matter of the toad hovering over him. It would be quite rude to simply push aside the food she seems to have worked so hard to make for him. Grabbing one between his fingers, Hira stopped himself from gagging, more from imaginative impulse than anything else. In fact, once he took some time to absorb the situation, it didn't even smell bad.

Just as Hira was about to try a small bit of the strange and foreign cuisine, the recent dialogue hit him like a brick wall, zipping through his mind as though in fast forward. "Wait, Gamatobei is your kid!?" Hira shouted in a wild mixture of both surprise and irritation. "He tried to sell me off to a bunch of thugs! There's nothing dear or sweet about him..."

Hira began to stand back up as though to try and leave this toad's home but would cautiously wait to see how she reacted to this information.

Okada Kaji

Yen
ASP
Deaths
OOC Rank
S
The widely-spaced yet welcoming eyes of GamaMama™ suddenly made a suspecting squint as Hirateuchi gave her a load of flim flam, falsehoods, and worst of all, fake news. For the human boy to come all this way— to have the privilege of being taken into her home and witnessing their amphibian utopia… one that was supposed to be protected from the likes of him… only to spew such an insult about her kind hearted son. Either she was in denial, or totally in the dark about the true nature of her beautiful baby boy. However those angered eyes softened, and GamaMama skirted a seat back from the table far enough so that her girthy form could join Hirateuchi there. The bubbling air sac in her chin began to quake as she fought sobbing, and ceased as the strong mother gained her composure. “Ok, I know my gamababy isn’t perfect, but I’m sure he meant well… you just don’t understand.” The truth was in her eyes; soft, motherly eyes. She truly believed there was a redeemable nature to Gamatobei. “He told me what happened to you with those human thugs (he should have never trusted), but I swear he thought something different was in store. ‘You are a talented young street urchin that he was going to find a home for in Kumogakure. Right?” She paused, quietly reflecting on the state Hirateuchi was in when Gamatobei brought him through the summoning pad from the surface. There was practically a blood trail leading from there to his room where she treated this boy. “He referred to you as a friend, or else the elders would have never allowed him to bring you into our Pond.”

Suddenly, the sound of a turning latch echoed from the far end of the room before the door slid on its track into a groove in the wall. In sauntered Gamatobei, warm with the light of the golden hour to his back. He seemed proud at first, and held a wooden object in one hand, but it was hard to see through the rubbery, webbed fingers wrapped around it. “Mama, I’m home” he announced casually, neglecting to look and see her seated with Hira in a moment of truth. “Is the tadpole up yet? The elders said they want to see him before they make their decision.” He proceeded to put his yellow raincoat on a rack by the door, along with his kama. Once he turned to visualize GamaMama in distress, glowering at him with Hirateuchi seated beside her, the rogue toad’s heart sank— he knew he was in for it now. “Ah, Mama… Tadpole… Why so glum? Boy oh boy, I’m ready for a bowl of that fishy stew. Save me some room at the table, why don’t yah?” As he approached them, he noticed that Hirateuchi was avoiding his escargot and carelessly swiped one off his plate with expertise sleight of hand. He popped it into the air like a coin toss and impressively snatched it with his vividly pink tongue. When wasn’t it a good time to liven the mood with a little showboating?

Hirateuchi

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Hira looked almost defeated by Gama Mama's saddened and scolding gaze. It was true that Gamatobei had tried to sell him out for some money, but perhaps what she said about him having a good reason might have also been true? No that's just me being too sentimental... Hira thought to himself as he came close to what might have been forgiveness, even if it was only a little bit.

Just as he was about to retort once more, the door swung open, revealing the trickster, the fiend, the devil himself: Gamatobei. Wearing that markedly recognizable yellow raincoat, he sauntered in, putting aside the coat, before making an attempt at lightening the mood. Perhaps he saw the fire in Hira's eyes, but the boy doubted very much that his look alone would be enough to put the toad on edge, considering all they had been through.

"What do you mean, elders?" Hira asked suddenly taken aback by the young toad's proclamation. "Where are we? Did you manage to steal me away from Kumogakure?" He ended with a short chuckle, keeping a lighthearted tone as not to disturb GamaMama further, but his look pierced right into Gamatobei, carving into Gamatobei the extent of his anger (or perhaps just his ignorance and sense of betrayal) through his pupils alone.

Hira pushed his seat out, taking a poor attempt to stand up as he wobbled, needing to hold onto the nearby table as he rose. He hadn't eaten much and he wasn't sure how long he had been here, but he felt weak. Much weaker than he would hope considering he knew nothing about his current situation. Turning to GamaMama, he exclaimed, "Hey, sorry about earlier. Thanks for the food, it was good!" He motioned to the door as he looked at Gamatobei with devilish eyes, pleased at his small attempt to get back at his former kidnapper. "Hey friend, I wouldn't want to keep these elders waiting, that would be rude after how kind you both have been. Suppose you'll just have to wait on the fishy stew."

Okada Kaji

Yen
ASP
Deaths
OOC Rank
S
At this stage, GamaMama was certain that the human boy had been just as deceived as she was by the matter at hand. Her air sac swole to its limits as she could hardly contain the concocting disappointment, which became anger and then rage. Hira had no idea where he was, and no idea of the cultural taboos Gamatobei broke in order to bring the boy into their home. Indeed, they were far from Kumogakure, but a verbal explanation would not do anything but confuse Hirateuchi even worse.

Wise to what was coming, Hirateuchi arose from the table and approached Gamatobei, whose charisma began deflating on itself as he faced a barrage of wicked glares from both GamaMama and Hira. But then he was blindsided by a ham-fisted smack on the cheek as GamaMama tried to knock some sense into him. Her arm was like the hand of God and reached so far, impossibly far before connecting with such force that it all played out for Hira in slow motion. Gamatobei’s face became deformed as a wave of force quaked his soft, rubbery features, sent slobber flying and untucked his long tongue into a fall to his chest. “You take the tadpole straight to the elders and make this right, Gamatobei” GamaMama showed an irate side, one contrasting the sweet, coddling figure she was before. “You aren’t even supposed to be meddling with humans and you knew that; bringing one down here—” she paused and her attention switched to Hira in a brief glance, though she was certainly still focused on her son. “The elders are going to want to know the truth before they make their decision. If it goes how I think it will, Gamatobei will be showing you the way back from whence you came tonight… and he will not return to the pond. This was his last chance.” GamaMama nearly broke her seat as she stood so abruptly and backed away from the table. She almost bowled Gamatobei over as she stormed out of the room, knocking the strange wooded object out of his hand to the floor as she made her way to the staircase.

Gamatobei hurriedly scooped the object up from the ground; it was a token, totem, or badge of some kind, finely carved with glyphs inscribed in gold. Gamatobei really needed to get some pockets. “Mama is right, and we shouldn’t keep the elders waiting,” he said nervously before leading Hira towards the doorway with a sulking posture.

Outside, a wondrous plane awaited the toad and boy; it was the mythical home of the One True Gama Clan, ripe with large weeds which reached high like trees, and mighty mushrooms hollowed out, turned into homes and businesses. There was no sun in sight on the horizon despite the golden hue of sunset adorning their strange sky. There were no clouds, only a viscous coat lining the atmosphere— this estranged paradise was within one large bubble, deep underwater. Occupying this village was an abundance of bipedal toads, all clothed and civil like Gamatobei and his mother, and going about their lives in the evening hours. One of Gamatobei’s neighbors came passing by the home; he was riding a unicycle of all things and continued on the dirt path outside of the fence at the end of the muddy yard. “Here comes ‘dat boi’” Gamatobei called aloud, cordially greeting his neighbor with a wave and a grin. “Oh shit, waddup” he added, attempting yet again to draw the neighbor's attention. The cycling amphibian didn’t even turn to look at Gamatobei and just kept pedaling down the road. It seemed as if the other villagers of the pond weren’t such avid fans of Gamatobei; many of them hurried into their homes once they saw the fisherman toad and his human company step outside.

Hirateuchi

Yen
ASP
Deaths
In that moment, one of not only Hira's misunderstanding but also Gamatobei's shame, Hira couldn't help but feel a little sympathy for the young toad. He of all people knew the struggles of being an outsider, of trying desperately to fit in, yet he kept pushing the subject around until he got the toad in trouble. Hira made a small mental note that if things didn't go horribly wrong from this point on, perhaps he should apologize to his amphibian guide.

As they left the abode, the wonders outside caused Hira to stand dumbfounded for a few moments; he couldn't move, or rather, he didn't want to move. There were too many new and unique sites to take in, so many differences from the place in Kumogakure where he had grown up. It was in a way a mirrored civilization, but in other ways, it seemed as though he might as well have been transported to an entirely separate dimension. In fact...

"Hey Gamatobei..." Hira started as the toad tried to call out to presumably a friend or neighbor, only to be rudely ignored. "...where are we exactly? I got the feeling from your, umm... mom, that I wasn't supposed to be here. Why is that? Are we far from the Hidden Cloud village?" Hira was more wracked with questions than usual, and understandably so, but there was a good chance he might have to wait for some of the answers. As the pair walked, Hira would listen to the toad's responses and try to take in as many details as he could about the surrounding landscape, in case the situation escalated and he needed to attempt some sort of escape. He would wait until the last moment to try that approach, though. He was interested enough in where he was to be a slight bit more patient than typical of the antsy young shinobi.

"And what did she mean by your last chance..?"

Okada Kaji

Yen
ASP
Deaths
OOC Rank
S
“Come tadpole, and I will explain it all” Gamatobei answered Hira, even sounding almost wise for once. The human boy was full of questions which rightfully deserved answers, and Gamatobei intended on revealing all of his mysteries. And so, Gamatobei began a swaying stride out of the yard on onto the dirt path which took them on one large looping road around the village. All things considered, their trek would feel akin to an even stroll, rather than a potential end to the live Gamatobei knew there. With a webbed finger-pointing, he said “This place, my home, is called The Great Pond in the common tongue, but we call it—” Gamatobei let out a gurgling croak like only a proper amphibian could manage. “Like the humans and their hidden cloud, our pond is a protected city hidden away, accessible through many bodies of water, and portals which we call the Pond Gates. I mean, we are *ribbit* somewhere, though I honestly don’t know where... but it's incredibly difficult to reach for your kind.” Gamatobei then revealed the wooden object he dropped once before and presented it for Hirateuchi to examine. “This is called a Lily Key, and it's the only way to come and go through the pond gates. Otherwise, only toads can swim through the great bubble, and it's a long journey down from the surface.” This bubble he referred to was the one lining his atmosphere.

“The elders are incredibly upset that I brought you here, tadpole” he admitted, shame strewn across his face. “Before it's too late, let me apologize for trying to sell you to those poachers… I thought the humans were going to take you to become a cloud shinobi… And when you were hurt, I had to do something about it. My GamaMama is the best shaman in the pond, so my first idea was to bring you to her, or else ya might have leaked yerself dry.”

As the duo trekked, the size of the Pong Village revealed its lack of size. While the village itself was arranged in a ring shape, with homes, shops, and other establishment lining the road, the center of the village was a large, clear pool of water. The walk around the village road revealed a long bridge which was guarded by a huge bullfrog donned in armor, who sat on all fours, visibly impassable. At the end of the long bridge was a shrine on an island. Most structure in the village was carved from mushroom flesh, yet this one was made from stone, and hand relief sculptures of toad warriors carved across its entrance.

“That’s is the Hall of the Elders,” Gamatobei said pointedly as the great tower came into view. “We are to report there for my tribunal. You see, this isn’t the first time I have done something to displease the elders… I’m something of an outcast here if you haven’t noticed.” As if on cue, the massive bullfrog made his first bit of moving as the pair of boy and toad approached. The huge toad blinked with his eyes moving in a slow, off-sync motion, and a scowl crossed his fat mouth. “Well if it ain’t Gamatobei,” the big fella said with a deep bellow in his voice. “And is this here your lil’ friend— the surfacer? Oooh, yer’ gonna get it big time for this, and I hope ya get it good. How dare you bring yer rubbish down here?” The blockading toad than spat at the ground, hocking a loogey half the distance between himself and the pair.

Hirateuchi

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Hira followed Gamatobei cautiously at first, not sure whether to be grateful for the tour or worried once again for his life; however, as the toad began to talk more and more, Hira came to feel somewhat guilty for giving him a hard time. It was true that he had done some not-so-great things, but he could tell from what the toad was telling him that there was at least a little bit of a heart under all of that wrinkly skin. Even as a young boy he could tell the toad was trying his best to hide his insecurities. Even his reasoning for kidnapping him wasn't entirely malicious, making an effort so that those guys would make him a...

"Take me to become a cloud shi.... that's what I'm in the academy for ya dumb frog!" Hira's eyes boiled up for a moment. While he had to have thought about the possibility at some point, even if subconsciously, hearing it put into words made the realization much worse. He began to raise his hand in blazing vengeance before forcing himself to calm down. It had seemed that they would be heading towards the elders after all, and he would need to keep his cool if he didn't want something worse to happen. After all, if what he had heard so far was any indication, he might be in just as much trouble for being here as Gamatobei.

The pair reached a bridge with a colossal toad clad in armor, who spat nearby as they approached. It really did seem like Gamatobei wasn't popular here...

Hira called up to the toad in a tone that seemed mostly polite, though with subtle hints of antagonization. "Hey, leave him alone. He's probably the only reason I'm alive right now." Even if he's the reason I'm in this position in the first place...

"What's so bad about me being a surfacer, anyways? If what I've seen of the place so far is any indication, I'd say I probably fit in better here than my old home." With that, Hira once again resorted to his parlor tricks in an attempt to impress the toad. Sticking his arms out he began to take a pseudo-water form, not being able to entirely manifest it as he was still recovering.

Okada Kaji

Yen
ASP
Deaths
OOC Rank
S
There was often this look Gamatobei and the other toads gave when they failed to connect with humans, either emotionally or logically. It was an unwavering and confused expression he made with his eyes staring back at Hirateuchi, blankly, void of a reaction. Gamatobei did not see the insult he made in presuming Hirateuchi was not already a shinobi in training. The boy seemed upset by the remark, but he couldn’t bring himself to punish Gamatobei for his insolence.

Once the duo received the rude remarks from the bridge’s guard, Hirateuchi spoke up first in defense of his friend and himself. The big, bulbous toad opposite from the pair had the same expressionless face as it mulled over a response to Hira’s question. What was so bad about being a surfacer? “Heh... Oh, where should I start?” said the huge guard as he began to stir with motion. “The surfacers— you humans are as greedy as can be. Everywhere your kind goes, you claim. The land, the spoils of if it, and even the unevolved creatures who inhabited it for eons. All become property.” And so the guard revealed a bit of substance behind his bias. Perhaps this further explained all the side-eyed glances the other villagers showed Gamatobei as he paraded down the street with Hira. “But you’ll see soon enough, tadpole. ‘The elder’s will show ya.”

Then with a burst of power and speed unexpected from the living barricade, the massive toad made a leap which sent him careening over Gamatobei and Hirateuchi. His body elongated as his long legs pushed him upwards, and the ground shook from the impact of his landing behind them. Now their path home was blocked instead, and the path to the Hall of the Elders was opened. “Go on lads,” said the heavy toad as he turned to see them off. “And may I never see either of you around my pond again.”

“Aye, let’s get this shit show on the road,” Gamatobei said in a defeated tone as he reached to pull Hirateuchi onward with him towards the tower. Once they made it a reasonable distance away from the hefty toad, Gamatobei explained, “That was Gamagora, he’s never liked me so this moment is just perfect to ‘em. Nevermind ‘em though, his word don't mean nothing.” Gamatobei then looked back to see Gamagora still watching them angrily, but Gamatobei seemed unshaken. “If you thought he was a jerk, wait till you meet the high council.”

Hirateuchi

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Hira grunted at the large toads actions. It was taking everything in his power not to shout out in rebuttal, trying to make the toad see that not all 'surface dwellers' were bad. What did Hira have to do with taking land, anyways? Still, he bit his tongue, still mindful enough to realize that doing so would more than likely only make this unfortunate situation worsen.

"Say, Gamatobei... what are these elders like anyways? I'm not sure why you've brought me here if you knew that all of them would react this way. What am I supposed to say won't just make them more mad?"

He tried his best to seek some quick and pertinent answers from the sly toad as they approached where their final judgement would be held. A walk otherwise full of silent tension as though they were making a final march to the stockades to be beheaded. Hira could feel the scrutinizing looks all around them, looks that screamed, "We already know you're both guilty, get rid of them!"

Meanwhile while the pair were walking, Hira began to amass some amount of chakra, on the off chance that when the two met this dreaded council there might be an altercation.

"I hope you know that if they start talking down to me again, I'm going to speak up... unless you have any better ideas.

Okada Kaji

Yen
ASP
Deaths
OOC Rank
S
Gamatobei rubbed his forehead, gesturing his contemplation when Hira asked just about the high council of elders. He must have known about his own elders, yet it was hard to put into words that Hirateuchi might understand. “Well, the elder’s are some good for nothin’ know-it-alls. ‘They only open their mouths when it’s about sumthin’ in their favor, or to put a good toad down.” Now the words were flowing as Gamatobei really sorted out his thoughts. “Every time I’m sent to see them, they just say the same things: the Hidden Pond is a village of tradition and has thrived by following these traditions for 1500 years! It’s all phooey!” He then spat a heaping glob of toady phlegm over the side of the bridge. “This ain’t thrivin’— the Hidden Pond is a Marxist State…” He then paused in their march and looked up at Hirateuchi, angered yet oblivious. He wasn’t sure what marxism was, or how he’d heard of the term— it just fit. “You ever head of Marxism, tadpole? Why, it’s the enemy of political and industrial democracy! ‘Fat n’ old toads on their high horses, dictating that all a toad like you and me are good for is pull up grubs and crickets. You seen me on the docks, I’m a great fishertoad!” And so, the root of the problem finally surfaced. There was a greater issue at hand for Gamatobei, with Hirateuchi getting dragged into the conflict of the Hidden Pond’s selfish elders.

But there was some kind of hope within Gamatobei. Bringing Hirateuchi down to his home was a grave mistake, but now he was looking at the boy and wondering if their situation was more like a stroke of luck in his favor. “I think that’s just what we gotta do. You showed me something, tadpole. You ain’t like the surfacers those elders have heard of— you’re different! The elders don’t care what a toad’s got to say, but maybe they’ll listen to a surfacer.” Without really waiting to make sure that Hirateuchi was on board with his plan, Gamatobei resumed a sure-footed march towards the tower. He stuck a defiant webbed-foot forth and kicked the tower doors wide open!

“Gamatobei, what is the meaning of this?” yelled out the first of the nine elders, who were all perched on high thrones. Many were old, some were sleeping, and most were in absolute dismay or rage as Gamatobei emerged. They came in an assortment of colors and sizes... Most were muddy brown, while two were swampy green, and one was as purple as a poison elixir. A last, grey toad remained in his humble, reduced size and looked on with confusion.
“How dare you” called out the poisonous one, “Gamatobei, the disappointing tadpole.”
And then the biggest toad said, “this is exactly why we summoned you here for trial, but you’re making it all too easy!” The big one paused to take a drink from a gourd by his throne and continued, “start naming yer’ reasons why we shouldn’t ban you from the Hidden Pond, and make it snappy!”

“Oh yea, WE got some reasons fer ya” Gamatobei shouted at the elders, carrying with an echo in the large chamber. “Ain’t that right, tadpole?” With that, he turned to glance at the human boy he brought along and gestured with jazz hands as he shuffled out of Hirateuchi’s limelight. “Now, give ‘em the bidness!”

Hirateuchi

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Hira stood tall emerging in front of the elders with his chest held high. He might have been new to the pond be even he could see that these toads were too trapped in old, dated ways.

"Great elders, I address you humbly as both Hirateuchi Teishu of the honorable Teishu family and as a simple surfacer. You have to understand what it is that brought me here. Gamatobei got me into some trouble, but he owned up to mistake and brought me here to make sure I was alright. Certainly there are other surfacers that would not extend the same courtesy. When I arrived here, I got to see first hand the toad's ability to welcome and care for others; this toad here and his mother provided hospitality to a stranger... a surfacer without asking anything of me. I got to see the best this pond has to offer."

He took a breath, gathering his thoughts as he stared assertively ahead.

"Then after a short while... I got to experience the worst this pond has to offer. Hatred stemming from a large objectification of my race. Sure, some of them can be bad apples, but to make assumptions of all of us like that only shows your own lack of understanding. I'm not saying that you need to be as forwardly helpful as Gamatobei was, but when you come off as being so unapproachable, its no wonder humans have tried to stomp all over you. Heck, I'm sure most of them don't even know you are here, let alone that you don't want to be disturbed; but I say give us a chance. And if not all of us, give me a chance. I've resisted the urge to talk back up until this point even when I have been ridiculed for doing absolutely nothing. I hope that can show my sincerity."

With that, Hira knelt on the ground, his head down in a bow as he awaited his answer.

Okada Kaji

Yen
ASP
Deaths
OOC Rank
S
As Hirateuchi stepped forth to give his best shot at addressing the nine elders, they merely sat in silence at first. The largest of the nine seemed the most irate, while the others varied on a scale from slumbering to fully attentive and angered. For the most part, trying to appeal to the elders was like shoulder-tackling the trunk of a firmly planted, ancient oak tree.

A brown toad in white robes revealed a more rational side; she held up a hand, urging the big one to hold his tongue. She was draped in silk and silver. Then, she attempted a logic appeal. “Even you recognize that Gamatobei is a troublemaker, Hirateuchi Teishu.” Among the elders, this one stood apart, preparing a threatening response that was sound and difficult to deny. “If not for the meddling of Gamatobei, you would have never found this place: it simply is not meant for our kind to mingle, boy. You are only human, and we are toads… if the great bubble preserving our village were to pop right now and the water collided upon us, our citizens would survive, only inconvenienced... However, you— a human— would surely drown.” She seemed concerned for Hira, though it might have merely been a ploy to make the boy realize that he was fighting against the current in their debate.

“Leave it to a human to believe they are entitled to even have this conversation” spoke out the purple one. He was slouched in his throne with long, thin legs dangling down to the floor, and perched on one elbow in his seat. “You should stick to listening and try to gain a life lesson from this, child. ‘The very concept of the hidden village began in the wilds and the beast-kinds… ‘There was harmony until mankind spread like a sickness. ‘When the first humans walked the plane they struggled to survive and were shown pity by many races, not just the toad ancestors. ‘Your people obtained our gifts, and as all humans do, your ancestors turned on us. ‘Humans tame and enslave all creeds and kinds, declaring us your lessers. ‘A history of savages and cut-throats.” His words were spoken with a venomous effect, like what you’d expect from touch his skin.

One of the elders was sleeping so soundly that it couldn’t feel a bubble of snot expanding from its nostril. The sudden pop snapped the tired toad awake, and he didn’t have to observe the situation long before chiming in with avowed wisdom. “Oh, it’s a human” he announced as he leaned forward and eyed Hira from afar. “...And Gamatobei.” His tone changed from curious to grim. “Gamatobei, you are the summary of everything wrong with toads mingling with the humans. Instead of embracing the ways of our people, you spend your days pretending to be a surfacer, doing as they do. And now you’ve broken a chief law in bringing one into our village. You bring shame to the Hidden Pond.”

It was a remark which struck Gamatobei at his core and he stumbled backward a few paces, trying not to fall on his ass. “They’re wrong” muttered Gamatobei, lacking the strength to declare it aloud. He was disgraced and his spirit was dwindling from those harsh accusations. “Breaking out from catching flies to catching flounder ain’t no crime” cried out the incredulous toad, on the defensive. “What good are traditions if they are only limitin’ our potential? You old toads call our village prosperous but this isolation has blinded you— the Hidden Pond is in a prison of its own beliefs, I tell ya’!” And he felt the warmth of his hearth burning brighter within. Those nervous, bulging toad eyes glance over to Hirateuchi as Gamatobei arrived at this moment— this height. He had to speak his truth. “I know what I want, and it ain’t this. I’m tired of eatin’ grubs and worms; I wanna see the sun up there on the surface!”

This decree was as much of a declaration as a decision which left the awake elders looking amongst one another and whispering. A bit of nodding proved that the old fogies were reaching an agreement on their resolution. The elegant toad in white suddenly made their decision, saying “very well then, that settles things. ‘Gamatobei, you shall have your life on the surface… Consider yourself hereby banished from the Hidden Pond to live on your own. You will have until nightfall to gather your belongings— then you and your human friend must take the pond gate, but leave your Lily Key behind. I suggest you use your remaining time wisely; say goodbye to your mother and perhaps gather some mementos.” The elders then resumed chatter amongst themselves, occasionally making dismissive waving motions for Gamatobei and Hirateuchi to be gone.

“Fine” Gamatobei shouted, disgusted. “Come on tadpole, let’s get out of here.” He then turned his back on the chamber of elders and stopped towards the exit.

Hirateuchi

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Hira stared at Gamatobei both with searing contempt but also the utmost empathy. Hira had never gotten to know his own home before it was encrusted the bitter cold embrace of death, so seeing the young toad forsake his home so haphazardly triggered Hira to an extent he had trouble hiding, but he also knew what it felt to feel ostracized in your own village for being different, for wanting change. As much as he wanted to yell out and leave the toad to his own device's, he could empathize too much with the current situation. Glancing with heavy eyes towards the elders who had so easily cast the both of them aside, Hira cleared his throat and left one last impression upon the old ways of the Pond, shifting his arm so that it shone with a glisten as it began to liquify.

"You know, I feel sorry for you. You shut yourselves away from the world, away from change, out of the fear of what that change might bring. So instead of advancing, you choose stagnancy and an aristocratic rule through threats."

As if to further taunt the group, Hira began to run his solid hand through the now watery arm, moving the liquid before it found its way back to a resting place that mimicked his natural arm position. Although his lip trembled from anger, he did his best to maintain his composure and continue his speech, as it was assumedly the last chance he would have to speak his mind, whether or not it would make any difference.

"Maybe most humans wouldn't be safe down here, but I'm not most humans. It's too bad, really; I would've liked to see how well my power could fit into an environment like this. I wish I could say it was nice meeting you. Let's go, Gamatobei, we should go talk to your mom before we leave."

Turning with one last disappointed glance at the elders, Hira took a few broad steps that caused him to jump in front of the toad, leading the way confidently out of the oppressive room.

Okada Kaji

Yen
ASP
Deaths
OOC Rank
S
And so the boy and toad left through the archway of the high council’s temple, casting long shadows within the portal as they went. The elders were steadily speaking amongst themselves, probably proud or self-righteous, but none of that mattered and it all fell mute as the doorway shrank with distance. It was just Gamatobei and Hirateuchi on that long bridge now, which felt like a mile’s journey since taking on the heavy toll of his banishment. Yes, a literal weight as every step felt like the last time Gamatobei’s webbed feet would press onto each familiar log. “I’m okay wit’ this” lied the toad to himself and the boy. That couldn’t have been more of a lie, even if he were bound and gagged in a burning, sinking ship. “I’m gonna’ have a grand time up there… you ain’t ever gonna see Gamatobei worry, tadpole.” His usually glassy eyes were a bit more moist than normal, and he struggled to contain them with his typical, bobbing stride, never mastering the humanoid step. He kept looking at the breeding pool which surrounded the bridge— the nursery for countless tadpoles. He wanted to dive into that primordial pool and hide there forever rather than abandon his home, but the bulbous guard-toad, Gamagora was at the end of the bridge. Eyes slightly wider than normal stared, blankly watching their every move with a staggering blink. Surely, Gamagora would either hop fast and cry for the high council, or chase Gamatobei until exhaustion set in... you could almost count on the former. “Thank you for those kind words, back there” Gamatobei put in, appreciating his kindling friendship with Hira once more before the cruelty he expected from the always-watching, always-listening Gamagora.

“Aww, look at the sad little tadpoles” mocked Gamagora as he watched the boys come near. He never seemed so eager to let them pass and hurriedly scooted out of the way. “Let me guess— the long tongue of the law put ya in yer place, eh? Well good riddance, I say! That’s it, bugger off!” Then he let out a long, despicable laugh which seemed to go on with no end. “Bwah ha ha ha ha…”

It wasn’t until now that the wide jaws of Gamatobei finally dipped into a grimace, contorted as his sunny opposition reached its breaking point. Silver streams ran down his cheeks, and the bellowing laughter of Gamagora drowned out the painful sounds of grief in the aching, exiled toad. With the order of banishment already in effect, Gamatobei had nothing left to lose and no reputation to save… He wasn’t a killer though, at least not a member of his own clan, but something had to be done. He was too ashamed to look anywhere except at the dirt, but between gritting teeth he begged, “tadpole… would ya’... please… help me kick his ole’ snake-tongued, bug-eyed, fat-lipped, horny-toad-tipped, rubber boot-lickin', fungal-warted, bullfrog lookin’ ass?”

Hirateuchi

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Hira stared at the oversized toad as he launched a bombardment of gloating and mockery directed towards Gamatobei in his hour of despair, and for a moment considered taking the toad up on his idea of kicking his ass. The toad would deserve it; heck, if anything the toad was asking for it, but that was exactly the issue in that moment.

"Hey, look whatever your name is. Gamatobei is a stronger toad than you lily lot are. Braver too. I don't remember the last time I saw another toad step onto land. Instead, you all sit in this prison, having been afraid of the world for so long that it's turning you against each other. Maybe that's for the best though, it's what you seem to deserve at this point, a life of paranoia and false joy. You can have this little fun of yours, cause Gamatobei here is going to go places none of you are capable of going, and he's doing it because he has more heart than all of you combined!"

Hira looked over to his toad companion, hoping to rouse at least some modicum of optimism through this bleak time in his life. A passion burned deep in Hira's soul telling him to turn around and make an example of this supposed guardian toad, but that would only prove the elders' point of humanities aggression. Maybe one day they would come to their senses and rejoin life outside the pond, but in order to provide them that opportunity the pair would have to take the high road this time around.

"Come on Gamatobei, let's go back and talk to your mom before you leave. We have to let her know that you'll be back before she knows it. She seems like the type that would be scary if you didn't."

Hira finished with a laugh, turning to ignore the large toad as he pushed his companion down the way towards the abode where he found the only hospitality he would be given in this cold, narrow-minded land.

Okada Kaji

Yen
ASP
Deaths
OOC Rank
S
It took a hero with real heart to defy the goading of Gamagora then. The bulbous toad stood high and mighty but took the opportunity to bite his lip after Gamatobei’s call to action. Hirateuchi was aware of just how pointless it would have been to spoil Gamatobei’s last moments in his village; a time better spent saying his goodbyes and gathering mementos. Gamatobei resisted at first and loomed there with his webby fists balled until a nudge from Hirateuchi sent him carrying on towards the path home.

As the sun crept lower and their walk got closer to their destination, there was silence between the boy and toad. While Gamatobei might have appreciated the reasoning of his friend Hira, the toad’s anger left him wishing for somewhere to direct it other than his self-pity. “We could have taken ‘em, easy” muttered the Toad, “but ya had a point, tadpole. ‘Night’s almost here, and I’d never forgive myself if I didn’t get to tell GamaMama goodbye.” And that was as good of thanks as the disheartened toad could have shown at the time.

Once the pair arrived at the doorsteps of the yellow mushroom home, Gamatobei paused at the entrance with a hand on the door latch. The toad was full of hesitation and glanced back at his human companion to say “Sorry, but would ya mind if I did this bit alone, tadpole? There ain’t much for me to collect, I just need a moment to say my goodbyes.” He lingered for a moment to listen for an answer or pearls of wisdom from the old-souled boy, and then slipped inside to an eagerly waiting GamaMama. If Hirateuchi respected the toad’s wishes, he would have soon heard the wailing of GamaMama once her son broke the news of the High Council’s decision.

After a short time passed; it seemed as if the remaining daylight faded away in an instant and a blue tint washed over the Village Hidden in the Pond. Deep underwater, the village was natural void of normal moonlight, but a sky full of fireflies with yellow tails illuminated every corner of the village. Sounds of croaking were like a symphonic display coming from all sides. By the time Gamatobei emerged from the home with a knitted sack slung over his shoulder, a pair of guard toads arrived. Identical toads with slim frames, long legs, red scarves which wrapped around their necks and hung low, silver helmets which hid their eyes, and long spears gripped tight in their webbed fingers, brushing the ground at the rest position. Fortunately, this pair was much more civil than Gamagora and merely loomed over the house front, symbolizing the time to proceed. Gamatobei paid the pair no mind, and pat a hand on Hirateuchi’s shoulder once he stood by the boy’s side again. “Mama took it about as bad as I thought she would, but she’ll be okay in time,” said Gamatobei. “I suppose we should carry on before we make the guards late for supper. Come on tadpole, the Pond Gate ain’t far.” And he led the way.

The Pond Gate was as mystical as the previous mention of it implied. It was a circular pool of still blue water which appeared to have no bottom, and a raised lip made from boulders, surrounded with mushrooms of varying size and species. “So, this is it,” Gamatobei said as he led the approach to the pool. “This is the Pond Gate; the only one of its kind, and the only way to quickly move from the village to the surface realm.” Gamatobei placed a hand on the pool’s edge and slapped a hand through the pond to create ripples, which in-turn disturbed the magical pool into revealing glowing images of random, unrecognizable locations. “The pond knows everywhere Gamatobei has gone, and where he wants to go” the toad explained. “It should do the same for you tadpole, just imagine a body of water wherever you wish to go and the gate shall take you there, so long as you are accurate with your vision.” He then held up a round token similar to the one he dropped earlier that day. The wooden bobble had gold trimming inlaid and a leaf-like design; Gamatobei presented it for the boy’s inspection. “This is the Lily Key; every toad worth his weight in flies should have one…”
“Enough Gamatobei; just give us the key and be on your way lad” bade the first guard with a reluctant tone. “Aye ‘Tobei, don’t make this rougher than it has to be. ‘Off you go.” The second speartoad came forth and snatched the token from Gamatobei’s hand, and he didn’t resist the effort. Gamatobei then climbed onto the rim of the pool but awaited Hirateuchi. “Touch the pool and think of yer’ home and we’ll get ya’ there… Without the Lily Key this will be a one-way trip, of course.” Once Hira was ready, the duo would make the big splash.

Hirateuchi

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Hira watched as the toads took Gamatobei's key, having come to a full understanding of what that meant for the abandoned amphibian. Over such a short period of time, Hira had gotten to see a much larger spectrum of Gamatobei's character than he realized, and in a way had come to admire the toad. He was doing something that Hira could not, and was all the braver for doing so. With a renewed smile, Hira looked upon the toad waiting upon the edge of the Pond Gate and walked up with a confidence only half faked.

"Hey Gamatobei, this isn't going to be a one-way trip. You're going to see your mom again, just leave it to me. I'm only getting stronger by the day; I am just a tadpole after all!" With those last words, he gave no more time for second-guessing themselves, and leaped into the pool with only one thought in mind... Port Cirrus.

------------------

Hira felt himself floating in a pool of water when he came to, but the passing waves and current did not register in his mind. He lay drifting to the whims of nature, feeling as though he were completely still. Was all of that really just a weird dream that led him on some sleepwalking adventure into the ocean? Giving his surroundings a second glance, Hira noticed shadows and shouts from one direction, and soon decided to follow it in hopes of uncovering if not the mystery to the strange scenes in his mind, then at least where he was. In fact, he found he had to make haste as the pain of oxygen deprivation soon dragging his mind kicking and screaming into reality.

With a heart-pounding mix of luck and skill, Hira made his way to the nearby docks of Port Cirrus, or at least what seemed like such under the masking night shroud, the shore illuminated by only a few lights. As he found a landing and proceeded to manipulate his chakra to drag the water off his now chilled body, a pervading thought persisted in Hira's mind, one that urged the truth of the strange dream. In an effort to either quench his thirst for adventure or prove himself wrong, Hira looked around for the strange toad he remembered... the defining feature probably being the yellow raincoat he seemed to remember more vividly than anything else.

"Gamatobei!" Hira yelled out at the top of his lungs, not minding how much noise he was making, in defense of the worry that began to engulf him; a worry that the whole trip was just his mind playing tricks on him, that he might once again be alone. "You better not be slacking off somewhere, I'm not going to do all the work of getting back to the Pond by myself..."

Current Ninpocho Chronicles Time:

Back