Ninpocho Chronicles

Ninpocho Chronicles is a fantasy-ish setting storyline, set in an alternate universe World of Ninjas, where the Naruto and Boruto series take place. This means that none of the canon characters exists, or existed here.

Each ninja starts from the bottom and start their training as an Academy Student. From there they develop abilities akin to that of demigods as they grow in age and experience.

Along the way they gain new friends (or enemies), take on jobs and complete contracts and missions for their respective villages where their training and skill will be tested to their limits.

The sky is the limit as the blank page you see before you can be filled with countless of adventures with your character in the game.

This is Ninpocho Chronicles.

Current Ninpocho Chronicles Time:

Ramen please (private)

Chigokai Yuna

Yen
ASP
Deaths
OOC Rank
S
It has been a while since Ziren has had a good bowl of Ichiraku Ramen. Lately, he's been just having his own kind of ramen soup at his home. But it isn't the same. His family isn't there with him, as they have spent some days in the bunkers, as with some other villagers who have prepared ahead of time. The only other kind of ramen he likes, other than the food he has with his wife and children, is Ichiraku. So this is why he is here now.

Ziren closed his eyes and took a deep breath. So much has happened these past few months. These past few months alone has changed Ziren so much from the person he once was. Huh, it feels like a lifetime ago. He has grown from experience. Maybe more than what others of his age would be. Twenty-one, and has seen much more than a lot of others of his age.

As the ramen arrived, Ziren found that he really didn't have the appetite, despite how good it looks to eat. He wonders what his life would have been if his brother hasn't ordered a mercenary to kill his parents. Would he be in Cloud? Living a normal shinobi life? He wouldn't know, that life was taken away from him. But maybe... Maybe Ziren was destined to be here in Leaf. A man, whose clan is foreign to this country. The clan, in question, was known for their sinister ways of using blood. And yet, here he is, Chigokai Ziren. Having a family here. Friends here. People, who he thinks of as family.

And Frost is threatening to take it all away. Ziren stirred around his ramen, occasionally eating a bit, but not really interested in the food.

Yen
ASP
Deaths
”Well, if that isn’t who I think it is.”

How much time was enough? It was this single line which occupied Yoshihisa’s thoughts as he brushed aside one of the promotional banners surrounding Ichiraku’s entrance and made his way inside, seating himself next to Ziren without as much as awaiting the other’s permission. He flashed a full-toothed grin as he made an admirable attempt to make the shoulder bump with his fist seem friendly, although there was the strong desire lurking just below the surface which would have gladly taken the fall for Konoha mysteriously being down a building or two.

”Ziren-san, was it? Can’t say that I’ve seen you around the village in quite some time, so how have you been lately?”

Clearly there was a level of animosity he had not predicted, making for quite the obstacle to overcome in his quest to do.. what, exactly: With an eye on the current events, his time could be much better spend serving a purpose, but yet here he was, acting as though he wasn’t speaking through gritted teeth in what may be the most petty example of ‘getting even’. The case had long since been closed, with the younger shinobi having gotten his comeuppance from the one man he could imagine had been more justifiably furious about the whole ordeal than himself. Yet it provided little to no closure to him, having witnessed the fallout of that faithful day in the present, and why he still held the young man in the same seething contempt as he would few others.

None of these deep-rooted thoughts would have surfaced however, the ANBU captain despite it all managing to keep his cheery facade intact. As he absentmindedly placed his own order he was curious whether or not he had ever even made himself known to the likes of Ziren. From the very day he had arrived in the Leaf he had kept his private and professional life strictly separated to the point where he had adopted the guise of an Iwagakurian junior diplomat for the former, all the while rarely being seen without appropriate clothing for the latter. Time would tell, as he was honestly still wrapping his head around the situation and how he was going to evade the traps he had set for himself.

”My apologies if I happened to interrupt anything, by the way. Don’t let me distract you from your meal.”

Chigokai Yuna

Yen
ASP
Deaths
OOC Rank
S
He was so focused on thinking, that someone had snuck up and sat by him. Normally, Ziren would have known from the blood flow, but he hasn't heard this blood flow for a while. Only once, at the ANBU meeting when Maki was kidnapped.

He looked over at the older shinobi, slowly recognizing who this was. "I'm good Yoshihisa. Been training by myself at times, and getting help from others. Planning all I can with my squad to give Frost hell."

He had heard about the man's rise to Captain. As someone who was once part if the Branch, he has kept an eye on everyone there to make sure that no harm is done to the operatives. So of course, he knows at least the bare minimum of what's going on in the branch. Otherwise, he will have to stay ignorant for the safety of every ANBU operative in the branch. No questions asked, none answered.

He stirred around his ramen, and when the man apologized for interrupting Ziren, the Medical Ninja said, "No need to. I don't have the stomach today I guess. Just thinking about everything. Up to this point. I worry, not for myself, but for my family. The other villagers that can't defend themselves. And the academy students too, even though they have been troublesome to say the least."

He paused, then said, "I wish that everything could go back to normal, you know? Back when we didn't have to worry about another entire Village wanting us dead. But I know that things have changed. And even when we beat them, we will all be changed people."

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Like with so many others, their imminent stand-off with Frost seemed to be forefront of his companion’s thoughts, someone young enough to have never been exposed to the concept of war beyond the history lessons at the academy. And what he shared were nothing more than rational causes for concern in an increasingly irrational world, of a young family man trying to keep everything together for the sake of himself and those around him. Granted, Ziren had made his share of mistakes and it remained to be seen what the future held, but for the time being it would be more productive to have faith in a brother in arms. And with that, Yoshihisa’s building rage subsided.

”It’s only natural to be preoccupied with those matters under these circumstances, be it to protect yourself or those around you. But ours is a position where we have to take each step knowing we might die or lose everything: It is a trade which causes our opponents to have the same outlook on life, after all.” His smile had perished somewhere along the way, his eyes no longer appearing to glaze over as he looked around. The genuine side of him that had surfaced with his decision to set aside his personal quest perfectly mirrored the bleakness of his words, seemingly having resigned himself to the philosophy of which he had spoken.

By the time his order had been served to him, it became harder and harder to argue with Ziren that it was going to be hard to stomach an entire meal these days. He had taken to refilling his hip flask on a daily basis, despite the fact that he had vowed to drink less upon meeting Izumi it had been the crutch on which he had relied more than he would like to admit. ”Wishing time would go back to how it used to be basically gives the opposite side their first victory, doesn’t it? We may not like it, but you have to be committed to the cause if we want to protect that which we hold dear: Each comrade out in the field is an extension of that will, to ensure we have something to return to when this is all over.” With that he cleared his throat and took the first bite of food in who knows how long, which may as well have been ash sliding down his throat.

Chigokai Yuna

Yen
ASP
Deaths
OOC Rank
S
From what the Captain had said, Ziren nodded. He wondered if there was a shinobi, a ninja on the Frost's side, that think this war is pointless. That they themselves are worrying about their own families safety. We realizes that there are many different views to war. The first two, the two opposing forces. And the third, the people who were thrown in the middle. The victims of war.

"It may be a childish thought, but do you ever think that there are people who live in Frost that don't agree with their leadership, of wanting to go to war? I have no problem fighting. But there are always people who are innocent wherever they may live. The place, it doesn't make who they are. And they can't help if they were born in such an area filled with anger against a whole nother nation. Right?" Maybe it was wrong, to ask an ANBU Captain about morals, for he knows, since he once was part of the ANBU branch, that morals sometimes has to go out the window when it comes to completing the mission.

He then listened more to the more wiser companion as he talked about how wishing for things to go back to the way they were, and how he thought about it. All the way, Ziren only took small portions of his ramen to eat. Almost not interested in the food at all.

"You're right. I may not like it, but I've learned as I have grown these past few months. It is not always what I want. But what the Village needs. I guess, since this my first... War? I am actually scared. Not for myself. But for everyone else." Through his time of living, Ziren has only been scared twice. Once, when the caravan that took him in all died off from a 'forest fire'. And then the second time, when he was thirteen, and the mercenary that had hunted him down for many years found him and attacked him.

Nowadays, the Medical Ninja barely knows what it means to be fearful of his own safety, but rather, be fearful of other people's safety.

Yen
ASP
Deaths
”Doubt is sadly a luxury we can’t afford during times of war: If they’ve raised arms against us, literally or otherwise, their personal philosophy doesn’t matter anymore.” As cold and detached as his words might sound, he was the time of person who despite or perhaps because of his position always steeled his heart in order to place his actions and their consequences into perspective. Not out to cause human suffering, it was still regarded as one of the key components of the responsibilities he was entrusted with and thus it fell upon him to do what others could not bring themselves to. ”It can all be summed up with the old saying: A kind heart invites destruction.”

Another bite, this time around going down more smoothly while lacking the taste of anything that could have passed as edible. Chewing away at what he could have sworn was pork, he rested his head in the palm of his hand, casting blank stares at nothing in particular. ”That said, while we’re not actively hounding down each and every suspected civilian it becomes difficult to verify their innocence. Not harming and trusting don’t always go hand in hand.” Either this was a very convincing act of feigning ignorance or Ziren had in reality been the furthest thing from what he had imagined: Yoshihisa had read the reports, and while there had been no ill will to speak off his behavior had been dangerous regardless. He couldn’t deny what it had done to Izumi however, how the incident had left its scars in the form of withdrawal, even towards him to a lesser extent.

”Life has a habit of being dangerous regardless. War merely emphasizes this reality, but as a shinobi by now you should have learned that your time is best served being vigilant: It takes the fortunate and the strong respectively to appreciate life, and there is real beauty in being strong enough for someone else. To shelter them from harm as you would yourself.” After years of loneliness, these words rang true more than anything else, as it had become his creed to live by. The bond he shared with Izumi was but a thread in the tapestry that was Konoha, and each life saved represented another opportunity for someone else, another interwoven story he may have no personal interest in but could have just as easily been his. This if nothing else was why he could no longer bring himself to act upon his personal vendetta: In the process he would stain the lives of those who looked at this young man as a father or husband.

Chigokai Yuna

Yen
ASP
Deaths
OOC Rank
S
Ziren listened as the older shinobi talked some more. He nodded. He didn't expect an answer less from an ANBU Captain. It was obvious just from their talk, that the man has seen and done a lot more than Ziren ever really could imagine.

And then he made a quote. "A kind heart invites destruction." Ziren tried to figure out the meaning. What he has come up with is to not be too trusting to other people, for they could take advantage of that and do a backstab move.

And then he talked about life being dangerous. Of how war basically takes the mask off to show what it really is.

"Have you ever been in a war before? If you don't mind me asking that."

(Ooc: sorry for the short post)

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Picked at his ramen with his chopsticks, there was by now the realization that he wasn’t destined to do much more than stomach it from here on out, let alone savor it. And thus he balanced them on the side of the bowl, his gaze briefly drawn towards the remaining contents within. A shame to waste a perfectly fine meal, but he imagined there were greater things to worry about from here on out. ”I’m only a couple of years your senior, so despite having seen an annihilation event in my days I can’t admit to having known war personally. However it is what a good shinobi prepares for, and even here in Konoha where they tend to be sometimes too laid back for my liking I can taste it.”

He was still young, and while his position may speak of the experience to match a good shinobi, perhaps even a great one there were certain aspects to life in which he was still ignorant: War being amongst them, he could do nothing more than anticipate what the effects will be like, not just to those under his personal supervision but also to himself both mentally and physically. Who was to say he would come out unscathed and live up to his aspirations when it was just as likely he may be among those to perish and be inevitably forgotten about? ”Naturally it frightens me just as much to endanger the one close to me, but aside from the fact that Takeshi-sama would never let anything happen to him if I were to die I can’t keep him away from the battlefield either with his position. I have to fully acknowledge him as an ANBU and as another soldier out there with me on the field.” As much as he wanted the words to seem convincing it was himself that was the main target to that end.

Chigokai Yuna

Yen
ASP
Deaths
OOC Rank
S
Ziren sat back in his chair and listened to the man speak. He was no longer hungry, as he had a lot on his mind. His words were a bit cryptic, but Ziren got the meaning. There wasn't any right answer when it comes to describing war. Only that to know that for now, before the Frost became a threat, that Leaf was calm and quiet. Probably something that a lot of people took to granted, something he had taken for granted.

Then he talked about dying. Something Ziren never really gave thoughts about. He was never scared. And would often do life threatening things without even a second thought, to do what he thinks is right. Granted, half the stuff he did, was for the right reasons, he was doing it the wrong ways that got him into a whole mess of troubles.

"Well don't go dying on us just yet. Everyone has a reason for living, and those that they care about. Dying means that you have given up. Not just on yourself, but on others. Those that you cared about. I know it's a cold truth that death is inevitable but there on the battlefield, but it is also my duty to make sure to save other people's lives while there are others who want me and the people I'm trying to save dead."

The Chigokai ran his right hand through his azure hair, and then scooted his chair out. He set down some yen, probably more than he should have, enough to pay for his and Yoshihisa's meal and still have a lot to tip. It all thanks to his business that he has here in town.

"I'll be making my way to the Byoin here soon, you can join me if you want to, though, I'd understand if you can't, being busy with the type of job you have." The Medical Ninja stood by and waited for the Captains answer.

Yen
ASP
Deaths
”I have no intention to do so just yet, but indeed it is one of those inevitabilities life is known to have.” His approach to this harsh reality seemed to be one that was almost disquietingly sober, one that only a hardened shinobi could adopt if it meant you’d get to survive another day. But much like his companion, it was somewhat harder to come to terms with the mortality of those around him, those that gave his life enough meaning to continue onwards in the first place. And having known the depths despair could drive one towards Yoshihisa wasn’t exactly looking forward to be without them once more. ”What I’m trying to say is, while your goal is noble you shouldn’t beat yourself up over individual cases too much, or you’ll be out of commission before you know it.”

His last few bites were quite the hurdle to overcome, the taste not having gotten any better as time went on. Eventually he resorted to swallowing them whole and foregoing chewing altogether to make it not as agonizing as it could have been. He too slipped a few bills from his wallet with one hand as he inspected himself for any bits that may have gotten stuck in his five-o-clock shade with the other. ”I indeed might be a bit too preoccupied to join you, but aside from that I think I may just be able to bring up the respect to be truthful with you here: I don’t like you on a personal level. The damage you’ve done to Izumi is something I still have to face every day, and while he may have been kind enough to let you off the hook know that I am looking out for his best interests regardless of his direct wishes.”

His pupils narrowed further with each word that crossed his lips. The manner how he was speaking matter-of-factly in tone was perhaps quite a bit more intense were he to shout from the top of his lungs instead. Regardless the topic seemed to be close to his heart, and he had no issues making himself clear. ”That said, don’t misunderstand your position towards him, for you do owe him a great deal: Would his life ever again be in danger, you will double your efforts to correct it, understood?” His whispers were barely audible at this point, meant for Ziren’s ears only. ”Just because I’ve been put in charge of the ANBU branch they’ve tried to humanize most doesn’t mean I don’t have the.. ‘passion’ to enforce one of these personal favors every now and then..”

Chigokai Yuna

Yen
ASP
Deaths
OOC Rank
S
"I have a tendency of doing that. Beating myself up over things. Things I think could have gone differently if I actually took time to think."

Then he brought up Izumi. And how the Captain didn't like Ziren at all. He thought back to when he hurt his own friend. He can't change the past. But he can do is try to make the future better. No matter where one person goes, there will always be conflict. And this, right now is Ziren's conflict, one that he will need to get over. The Chigokai wasn't intimidated by the Captain, no, not at all. More like understanding. He understands the rage being thrown at him. Ziren just accepted the words of rage and the threat the Captain put lastly in his statement.

Ziren crossed his arms, not in defiance, but mostly to figure what to say. In the end, he nodded, "I understand your rage. And I do believe what you say of me owing Izumi. I've changed, but the guilt of what I did still follows me. I'll do what I can to the best of my capabilities, times that by a hundred to help Izumi if he is in danger."

Yen
ASP
Deaths
”You better..” It was quite the objective to push the matter further with the same level of passion when those to oppose you refrained from doing so. Yoshihisa, despite his building desire to wipe the floor with the young man had nothing to back such feelings up with, nothing to provoke him into going well beyond his usual boundaries: A stoic figure such as himself would be closer to quietly working to undo his lover’s struggle than to let the rage control his actions any more than they already had. What mattered most was that he had the word of man who seemed to be honestly remorseful about his past deeds, and even if he hadn’t been when the time came the older shinobi was more than willing to make good on his own.

His dark eyes peered briefly around as if scanning his surroundings, making sure that nobody had picked up on their conversation before they once more settled on Ziren. ”In that case I recommend honing your skills so that you may keep the promise you’ve made here today.” He was not about to reveal the reasoning behind his words, least of all during the time when war loomed in the near distance. Much like how he had no intention of ever making Izumi aware of the deeds he went out of his way to do for his sake. Some things were better left unsaid after all. ”And it is from here out one between the two of us, not a word is to leave your lips.”

And so he had woven the first thread for a web of lies he dearly hoped to go without, but what was done could not be undone, least of all when it was for the greater good. With that Yoshihisa had somewhat collected himself, the killing intent that may very well have oozed from his being subsiding and his outward appearance calm as ever. With that taken care of he knew he had to turn his attention elsewhere in light of possibly the last days he could scrape together before all hell broke loose, days he intended to spend in peace if it could be helped. ”You have places to be, as do I.” He trailed off without appearing to have the direct incentive to pick up, aside from what may have sounded more casual without the threats beforehand. ”Be wise in how you fill in these following days, because I know I will be.”

Chigokai Yuna

Yen
ASP
Deaths
OOC Rank
S
Ziren didn't show any anger towards the man that has it out on him. What he himself has done was wrong, and he understands the repercussions of what he's done. He knows that he can't make everyone happy. That there will always be people who don't like him, for reasons of what he's done, or for no reason at all.

The captain then looked around as if he was making sure nobody heard the words exchanged. He then told Ziren to hone his skills and get stronger to hold true to the promise. And to also not tell anyone else of what was said.

"I understand. You need not worry about me telling anyone." Then Yoshihisa said that he'll be taking his leave and told Ziren to use these remaining days wisely.

The Chigokai nodded. "Aye. I will. You take care of yourself out there when the going gets tough." Ziren waved a goodbye and walked away from the ANBU Captain. He himself, needs to prepare for what's left of the day.

(Topic left unless stopped)

Current Ninpocho Chronicles Time:

Back