Ninpocho Chronicles

Ninpocho Chronicles is a fantasy-ish setting storyline, set in an alternate universe World of Ninjas, where the Naruto and Boruto series take place. This means that none of the canon characters exists, or existed here.

Each ninja starts from the bottom and start their training as an Academy Student. From there they develop abilities akin to that of demigods as they grow in age and experience.

Along the way they gain new friends (or enemies), take on jobs and complete contracts and missions for their respective villages where their training and skill will be tested to their limits.

The sky is the limit as the blank page you see before you can be filled with countless of adventures with your character in the game.

This is Ninpocho Chronicles.

Current Ninpocho Chronicles Time:

Six Years Later [Private]

Suzuki Setsu

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Tama sat on the train headed towards the capital. Her new braid whipping wildly behind her as the locomotive raced along the rails. I probably should have gone back with Tomo, she thought to herself. She felt slightly guilty about letting Tomo deal with the home front, but after finding out that the pair had been removed from the world for six years Tama had received a huge mental shock. She almost couldn't believe it. So she had left to find Shirinai. She trusted him more than anyone, loved him more than anyone. So he would be the one to tell her if it was true. And if it was true, Tama planned to apologize. It had only felt like a few weeks since she had last seen him, but if he had really spent six years not hearing anything about her whereabouts, Tama could only imagine what kind of thoughts went through his mind.

The train pulled into the station and Tama jumped off, racing to the palace. The streets remained the same as six years ago, some of the shops had changed but the layout was the same. She caught a glimpse of her reflection in a window, she had changed from her appearance six years ago. Her hair was longer, darker, and changed colors halfway down. She looked more womanly, way different from her tomboyish self. Will he even recognize me? she couldn't stop herself from worrying. But there was only one way to find out. So she pressed onwards.

The palace looked the same, and the same small crack in the wall where she could sneak into the courtyard was still there. Though she could no longer fit through it. She quietly scaled it and jumped over it. Using a small gust of wind to dampen the noise. She then climbed the wall of the inner palace, pulling herself over the lip of the balcony that was outside of Shirinai's room. At least she hoped it was still his room. "Well, here goes," she quietly muttered to herself before lightly knocking on the glasss door. "Er, Shiri-tan? It's me. Are you there? I mean it is the middle of day, so you might not be in here but...," she trailed off. Hopefully, someone would answer.

[Topic Entered]
[MFT WC: 379]

Takaki Saeko

Yen
ASP
Deaths
The Shogun of Lightning Country sat on the edge of his bed taking a slow, corrosive drag off a cigarette. Even years after he had started to smoke the process was still unpleasant. The payoff, though, was in the fleeting feeling of calm that a lungful of nicotine brought whenever he indulged. He could not, of course, show his habit in public. The people of the land had practically given him godhead, and divinity did not suffer filthy habits. Only in the company of his inner circle, the twelve daimyo of the realm, and only in private, was he allowed to trade away slivers of his life for transient serenity.

He had picked up the habit after she'd disappeared. "She" being the Kumo girl he'd loved and yet been forbidden to love. Objectively, his Chancellor had been right: Mochizuki Tama had little to recommend her. She was a shinobi of low birth and ill manners, little better than any other servant, and her small body would never survive the rigors of childbirth in any case. The Haninozuka Queen of Bear Country, however, was the perfect match. Furthermore, Haninozuka Ekaterina certainly had an affection for Shiranai in turn. To compound matters, Tama had also disappeared without a trace some six years prior after the events of Tenouza. Thus, Shiranai had little recourse but to follow the counsel of his Chancellor. He and his circle had called her "the Hag" in whispering tones, and lived in fear of her ever finding out. Until a year ago, her rule over the land, the council, and Shiranai had been absolute.

A stroke had left Tachibana Ami unable to speak or move on her left side, and she had retired from public life. Any moment, Shiranai expected to greet a courier bearing word of her death. Maladies like hers were a bad omen. They were signs from Raiden that the bakufuu had lost its way, and that the typhoons of change would come soon bearing misfortune. The rock of Lightning Country society itself was in danger of being wholly overturned to unleash the crawling horrors beneath. Shiranai thus had to act to preserve his people: he had now concluded the first year of courtship with Haninozuka Ekaterina. When the mandated period of "dating" was over, he would officially marry her, produce an heir, and solidify his control over the nation. He would protect it from harm, and most of all, from change. It was a good plan, and one worthy of a great ruler. So then, why were his days filled with such trepidation that he needed to smoke so often?

Shiranai glanced over at the cooling spot on the mattress where Ekaterina had lain before gathering her sheets around herself to go enjoy his shower. That she felt affection for him was not in question. After all, this was certainly not the first time they had coupled, and even on that occasion she had offered herself happily. But Shiranai could tell even now that she also fought with a void that no amount of nicotine or lovemaking could fill. Perhaps she misses Tama, too? He shook his head. Of course not. Tama was Ekaterina's competition. They weren't of the same class. They weren't friends. Or were they?

A light tapping outside the window raised Shiranai's hackles and his muscles tensed for combat. Despite having lost his ability to manifest prana, the academy's teachings were still ingrained in his psyche. He knew how to prepare for a fight. Since Yukimura Enishi had perished, there had been no further assassination attempts on the Shogun's life. Some minor members of the Kingslayers were doubtless alive, but without Enishi to motivate them, they had likely moved on. Without the constant threat of death, it was as if Shiranai's life had become...boring.

Excitement suffused Shiranai's veins and arteries along with adrenaline. The would-be killer was skilled to have bypassed the normal layers of castle security and make it all the way to his room. He thought of calling for the guards, but to do so would risk exposing Ekaterina to the men's stares. No, he would deal with this threat himself. Shiranai reached across and grasped the pistol-bolter on top of his nightstand and racked the slide. He crept slowly to the window.

"Er, Shiri-tan? It's me. Are you there? I mean it is the middle of day, so you might not be in here but...," someone said from the outside.

Shiranai brought his hand to his mouth. The voice almost sounded like Tama's. No, you fool! This isn't Tama. Tama's either dead or gone missing. She abandoned me. With some trepidation, his fingers manipulated the lock on the bolter-proof glass. Fortunately, the mechanism was well-greased and made nary a sound. Finally, Shiranai leveled the bolter and yanked the window open.

His hand shot out, grabbed the interloper by the collar and wrenched him - no, her - into a tumbling sprawl on the floor. Shiranai's finger tensed on the trigger. If the intruder had been male, he'd already have a bolt in his head. But a woman?

"On your knees and place your hands on the floor where I can see them," Shiranai growled. "Identify yourself!"

Suzuki Setsu

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Tama closed her eyes and sighed, there had been no response from the other side of the glass. I guess I should try again later, it was stupid to come here during the day. Shiri--, she never finished the thought as the door soundlessly opened and a hand grabbed her collar. "Eh?" Tama said as she was dragged into the room and unceremoniously tossed onto the floor. While normally an extremely dextrous person, the unexpected assault had caught her off guard and so she landed in a very ungraceful manner. "Ow." It didn't really hurt, it was more of an expression of surprise. "How rude, suddenly tossing a lady around." Tama glanced upwards at her assailant, If I wasn't such a nice...per...son..., her thoughts trailed off as she beheld the older, cooler - looking Shirinai. She flushed, then muttered, "Standing with the sun behind you like that, it's unfair."

"On your knees and place your hands on the floor where I can see them." At these words her expression changed from dazed admiration to sudden confusion. "Identify yourself!"

Ah, he doesn't recognize me, a dejected look flashed across her face momentarily as she complied with Shirinai's demands. "I guess it's true, time really has passed. Though I guess some things never change, your skill with a bolter is as good as ever." Tama was no longer afraid of the weapons, though the sight of one still left a unpleasant sensation in her chest. She noticed the bed was for two people, and the ruffled coverings suggested that it was recently used. Her face was unreadable now, masked by a performer's smile. "Oh right, what I came here for." She readjusted her position on the floor. The movements were probably suspicious to Shirinai, but no attack came. Tama lowered her head to the ground and began speaking, "Sorry. For disappearing. It was my fault. I made a mistake, and it cost a lot." Her voice came out quiet and broken up. This was a bit much for Tama to take in. In what seemed like an instant, six years had passed. Shirinai was really cool now, but not hers alone. She remembered the voice of the young man that had yelled over the airwaves that he loved her on that mission into Marsh Country. Was that Shirinai gone?

After a while she peeked up at the figure of Shirinai, she wondered what kind of expression he was showing now. He was still pointing the bolter at her, "Um...for the time being, could you stop pointing that at me. I've been restraining my urge to forcibly disarm you for quite some time now." Plus if I were to do that I probably wouldn't be able to stop myself from..., she didn't finish the thought as her face flushed again. Belatedly, Tama realized that she still had not identified herself. She wondered what would be the best way to go about it. The normal way? But that would require standing up, and the sudden movement might prompt Shirinai to do something rash. Kitty version? She was already in the position for it, just arch her back and raise one hand and then it would be perfect. But that would be embarrassing. So she opted for the third version that popped into her head. "Do you really not remember me? We even rode the ferris wheel together, and I rescued, er helped to rescue you from Hayata Shin's crazy uncle. It's me, Tama. Um, I'm back?" She gave a small smile from her position on the floor. If anything, it was good to see him alive and well, though he stank of cigarette smoke.

[MFT WC: 611]

Takaki Saeko

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Shiranai's knuckles turned white as he gripped the bolter in trembling hands. Though still aware of the danger to his life, fear was not the reason he shook. It was her voice: Mochizuki Tama's voice. Objectively, she did not sound exactly the same as the Tama he'd romanced until the events of Tenouza. That would have made it easier to blast the woman in front of him as a fake. Rather, it was that subtle, inimitable quality found deep beneath mere metre, timbre, and range. The frequency of the soul that resonated through the cycle of life and death and identified the spirit to one's creator as well as one's lover. As the woman spoke, Shiranai wanted nothing more than to cast his weapon aside and take Tama up in his arms and embrace her and never let her go.

"Shut up!" Shiranai roared at her, almost discharging a bolt by accident. "Stop using her voice! Stop it now or I'll blast you to pieces!"

A lifetime of training screamed at him with the rage of a thousand angry disciples of Shinbatsu to pull the trigger. There was no way this assassin was Tama. She was a highly-trained operative sent here to end the vi Kaminari line, and was using every trick in her arsenal to strip the Shogun of his last line of defense. Fortunately, Shiranai had been educated in the ways of reality distortion. He had been a mednin, too.

If he stepped back from the crumbling precipice of longing, the reasoning was entirely clear. Whoever this woman was, she had probably found a stray heartstring of his to tug on, and it just happened to lead to the swirling, black void that Mochizuki Tama had left in his heart when she'd disappeared from his life six years ago without even saying goodbye or telling him how he'd wronged her. She was using his guilt and his sorrow to trap him and kill him deader than a lifetime of pack-a-day smoking ever would. Shiranai whispered his thanks to Kushin, who'd been his sensei and taught him about the futility of love and the wrongness of remorse. He refocused his aim on the fake Tama.

"Do you really not remember me?" the assassin asked. "We even rode the ferris wheel together, and I rescued, er helped to rescue you from Hayata Shin's crazy uncle. It's me, Tama. Um, I'm back?"

Shiranai stepped back to get out of striking range. The way the woman was tensing, it was obvious she was preparing for a strike. He inhaled and let out a slow breath to still his heart.

"I have to commend you, shinobi," he said. "You made it this far and almost got me to fall for your tricks. I don't know how you found out about Tama, or how you mimic her so well, but I have to admit it brought me happiness when I thought for a moment she had returned to me. You, however, failed to realize that I know in my heart that Tama's never coming back. She left me six years ago without even telling me why. The Tama I knew would never have acted so coldly. The Tama I knew would never have lied about being in love. So her absence only means that she's dead." Shiranai quickly wiped at a tear inching down his cheek and clenched his jaw. "If you show me where her body is, I'll spare your life. I won't even retaliate against your masters. You have my sacred word on that."

Please... he thought, but did not say.

"Shiri-tan?" someone lilted from behind. "I heard you yelling. Is something wrong?"

Shiranai tensed again. Ekaterina was back, and probably defenseless. Godrot you, Neko-mimi, why couldn't you have stayed in the shower for longer?

"Shiri-tan," Ekaterina rasped. She flipped a mop of damp hair away from her face and adjusted her camisole. "Why are you pointing that at Tama-chi? You're not supposed to point a real weapon at someone else, even for kinky role-play. Put it down. I want to hug my friend."

"Milady, get back," Shiranai commanded. "That's not Tama! She's an assassin using reality-bending techniques, much like Yukimura Enishi. She might even be a Kingslayer. Get back and call the guards!"

To Shiranai's horror, Ekaterina merely rolled her eyes, stepped forward, and wrapped Tama up in a fierce hug. "Tama-chi! Sorry about Shiri-tan acting so weird," she said. "Don't worry, he won't do something nuts. Anyway, you've grown so much! And you look so refined all of a sudden! Did you go to charm school in secret without telling us? Did you get a total makeover?"

Ekaterina furrowed her brow and poked at Tama's bust.

"Uh," she whispered, "you didn't get implants, did you?"

Shiranai practically swallowed his tongue. Ekaterina had fallen under the assassin's spell. Fuck, that's right. She's not a shinobi! I'm only resisting the genjutsu because I've trained in chakra resistance! The assassin had the upper hand, now. There was one way, however, to save them both. Shiranai would have to shoot through Ekaterina to hit a vital spot on the fake Tama. He blinked, taking a quick inventory of places that would wound, but not kill Ekaterina. God damn you! I'll have your masters tortured to death for this! he thought in rage at the assassin.

"Shiri-tan, aren't you going to say anything to her?" Ekaterina complained. "You know, like 'Tama-chi, welcome home!' or 'I missed you so much!' or even 'you want sum fuck?'"

"Stand still, Milady! I'll explain everything later!" Shiranai said, and raised the bolter.

"Stop being an ass!" Ekaterina said, walked up to Shiranai, and snatched the bolter away from his hands. With his aim thrown completely off, he could not fire.

Shiranai slumped to his knees, closed his eyes, and waited for the end. Perhaps it had been for the best. He'd seen a last glimpse of Tama in life, and in a few moments he'd meet up with her for real in death. I'll see you soon, my love.

Suzuki Setsu

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Shiranai still didn't recognize her. Even after she apologized, even after she had mentioned some of the most dear memories of their times together. He still insisted that she was some kind of impostor, an assassin after his life. Someone who was making fun of him, trying to torment him before finally finishing him off. His anguished shout caused her to flinch involuntarily.

Tama had expected this to a certain degree. Shiranai was a high-priority target, and her relationship with him hadn't exactly been a well-kept secret. It would only be natural that someone would try to exploit it as a means to psychologically wound the shogun. But she hadn't expected it to hurt so bad when the one man she loved more than the world itself accused her of being sent here to kill him. Words were not enough to convince him, and Tama wasn't sure if actions would either. Her performer's smile could only take so much pain before she would start crying, somewhere in her head she thought that if it was Shiranai, she wouldn't mind being killed by his hand. Maybe it would bring him some closure.

That morbid, desperate thought was pushed out of her head by the voice of a woman. "Shiri-tan? I heard you yelling. Is something wrong?"

Tama turned her head to see the lightly dressed Haninozuka Ekaterina in the doorway. Part of her instantly thought, Ah! What have you been doing with my Shiri-tan! But Tama knew better than to say it, six years was a long time. Her disappearance left Shiranai like this, and it was only fitting that Princess Neko-mimi be the one that ended up the closest to Shiranai. Tama wondered how the princess would react to her sudden reappearance. Would it be gloating, anger, indifference. The way things had gone with Shiranai, Tama wasn't expecting anything positive from her one-time rival and friend.

What Tama didn't expect was to hear Ekaterina tell Shiranai to put the bolter down. Neither did she expect to be instantly recognized, or suddenly hugged, or talked to like she had merely been away for a few days. It was too much for Tama, she threw her arms around Ekaterina and began sobbing uncontrollably, "Wahhhhhhh! Nekomimi , you recognize me!! I didn't know six years had passed! -hic- I really didn't! But I came here right away! B-before even going back to the village! -hic- I thought, I thought, I thought something bad might have happened! -hic- I thought that Shiri-tan would be happy to see me. But he doesn't think it's me!! You h-heard him! -hic- I said I was sorry! -hic- I didn't mean to be gone so long! Does Shiri-tan hate me now? Thank you for recognizing me!!! Wahhhhhh!" The rest of Tama's words were incoherent as they were broken by sobs.

After awhile, she began to calm down, she let go of Ekaterina and walked over to Shiranai's bed. Grabbing the sheets, she blew her nose loudly, rolled them up into a ball, and tossed them into the corner. She then wiped the tears from her face and sat down on the bed facing the two. "Sorry," she mumbled quietly. Her eyes were still red and puffy from the sob session. "Well, the reason I look like this is kinda related to why I disappeared for six years..., and though I look good, I'm not sure it was worth the price I paid...because I wasn't the only one who paid it," a shadow passed across her face momentarily. She looked over to where Shiranai was kneeling, his expression was one of someone who thought the world was ending. She stood and moved over to him, and gave him a kiss. A light one, because Tama was still worried about whether or not Shiranai believed it was really her. She then stepped away and sat on the bed again, waiting for his reaction. And Ekaterina's for that matter.

[MFT WC: 657]

Takaki Saeko

Yen
ASP
Deaths
"There, there," Ekaterina said as she stroked Tama's unruly hair back into place. She closed her eyes for a moment and inhaled the scent rising from the girl's head. The queen's gamble had paid off; this was the real Mochizuki Tama, no matter how much the girl's appearance had changed. In truth, Ekaterina had possessed a fleeting suspicion that she'd been sucked into one of the mind-bending techniques that her shinobi advisers were always warning her about. Ai, the Hoshikage, and Kuro, the late sennin, had always taken great pains to protect her from harm, and had armored her with paranoia for most of her life. But when she had spent time with Tama, Ekaterina had learned how to enjoy the simple act of not always looking over her shoulder. It was a priceless gift, even though it was also dangerous. Thus, Ekaterina had been able to stake everything on her trust in her friend's voice.

Now that the wave of relief and joy had passed, Ekaterina allowed herself to feel something else: anger. Where had Tama been for the last six years? Why had she not sent a single sign to Shiranai that she lived, or at least satisfactory word of her death? Perpetually straddling that limbo had turned a proud, confident Shogun into a brooding wreck of a human being. From a fresh idealist into a bitter traditionalist, and from a boyfriend Ekaterina had fallen in love with to a mere political alliance she was beginning to regret committing to. It was Tama's fault. It was Ekaterina's fault. It was Shiranai's fault. If one part of the triad went away, the remaining two would founder and fall.

She glanced over Shiranai, who seemed not to react to Tama's peck on his lips. The man was still in shock. She sighed. "Tama-chi, If it's not apparent to you already, I've become Shiri-tan's fiancee. I also lost my virginity to him. He was gentle, and it felt amazing after the initial pain. When we officially get married, Lightning and Bear will enjoy a new age of prosperity with free and open trade, shared military command, and doubling of our territory. Our child will be known as Emperor - or Empress - of the united northern peninsula, and we will eventually absorb Marsh into our hegemony when he or she marries the next Dear Leader. The future has already been determined for us, and you have no part in it. That was Chancellor Tachibana's last wish and firm directive."

Ekaterina grit her teeth and tears started to roll from her eyes onto the sheets.

"And I had just gotten used to the idea, even accepted it, when you had the temerity to show up now! Do you know how hard it was for us to acknowledge your absence? Do you know how we suffered in silence without you when the rest of our lives were determined without asking us for our godrotting opinions? You were the only thing keeping us whole, and you took it away. Shiri-tan needed you, Tama. I needed you. You're damned right that you're not the only person who paid. We paid, too. And now you have the gall to show up like a resurrected, grinning corpse perched at our doorstep, looking more beautiful than you have any right to be, and all you can say is 'sorry?'"

With surprising force for her size, the queen grasped Tama by the front of her shirt and whirled her supine onto the bed. She climbed on top of Tama, straddled her with her thighs, and pressed her teeth against the base of Tama's throat.

"Godrotting bitch. If you're really sorry, then prove to me that you're real and not a ghost. Kiss me like I wanted you to but couldn't bring myself to ask. Make me complete again..."

"Neko-mimi, stop," Shiranai said, rising to his feet. Ekaterina flashed him a glare, but slowly backed away. "Even if you're angry at Tama-chan, that's no excuse to treat her so roughly. I mean, I would love to see two women going at it, but..."

"Hentai," Ekaterina scoffed.

"You're one to talk," Shiranai countered. He knelt in front of Tama, took her hand, and held it. "Tama-chan, I missed you for a long time. I even dabbled with hating you when the longing became too much to bear. But I never forgot you. It's still so confusing what's happened here, but if you're making Neko-mimi act like this, I now know it's you, beyond a doubt. I'm sorry for yelling earlier. I just thought I didn't deserve to see you again."

He inhaled snot back from his sinuses.

"What she said is true. We're to be married. And yes, we're, ah, sleeping together. I won't apologize for that, however. I do love Ekaterina, much as I love you. I also have no intention of terminating the wedding. It will be good for our countries, after all. I'm glad to see you're alive and healthy, Tama-chan. Even though I know you probably want nothing to do with us after this, it makes me happy to have seen you again."

Shiranai bowed his head and kissed Tama's hand. Sometimes, fate was kind as well as cruel.

Suzuki Setsu

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Tama had surmised that Shirinai and Ekaterina were now a couple, and had coupled. That was the only logical explanation for the convenient appearance, and lightly dressed state of Bear Country's heiress and ruler. But hearing it from Neko-mimi herself felt like a slap in the face. Tama knew she was right, as a kunoichi, her relationship with Shirinai had already been frowned upon even six years ago. Not to mention she was of humble birth, through Tama had generally been quick to punch anyone who had said that the Mochizuki Troupe was no more than common vagrants (they were extraordinary vagrants, dammit). So even if Tama and Shirinai were able to get married, Tama wouldn't bring anything politically beneficial to Lightning Country. Ami-chan had considered that, and it had been her top reason, second to Tama being an uncontrollable loose cannon in terms of court maneuvering, for opposing any official relationship between the two of them. Ekaterina was the better pick in every category. And now more than ever, Tama didn't really belong in their world.

Every accusation Ekaterina said after that statement hurt Tama worse though, which surprised the chuunin. She hadn't realized how much she had taken Ekaterina's respect for granted.

"Do you know how hard it was for us to acknowledge your absence?"

No she didn't know, she couldn't know, she had been gone for so long, but it still felt like only a few days for Tama.

"Do you know how we suffered in silence without you when the rest of our lives were determined for us without asking us for our godrotting opinions?"

Again, Tama didn't know, she had never let anyone decide stuff for her. And she thought that as the Shogun and Princess, they wouldn't either. She didn't know that it had been her presence that had given Shirinai the confidence to oppose Ami's decisions, and her presence that had let Ekaterina drop her noble facade.

"And now you have the gall to show up like a resurrected, grinning corpse perched at our doorstep, looking more beautiful than you have any right to be, and all you can say is 'sorry?'"

That line cut deeper than most, Tama wasn't sure how to tell them that her body had been fused with a dead one, Tama herself was still a little uncomfortable with the idea that her body wasn't completely her anymore. Although, the last bit confused Tama. She was unsure what Princess Neko-mimi meant by that.

"Wha-," Tama began, but was interrupted by the second sudden throw of the day. Ekaterina had tossed her onto the bed, and then pinned her to it. The sudden feeling of Neko-mimi's breath and teeth near her throat made Tama squirm, "That tickles," she squeaked quietly.

"Godrotting bitch. If you're really sorry, then prove to me that you're real and not a ghost. Kiss me like I wanted you to but couldn't bring myself to ask. Make me complete again..."

Eh?!? Tama's mind whirled, She wanted a kiss? Was that some sort of friendship custom in Bear? Well, I guess it's like indirectly kissing Shiri-tan, so..., Shirinai intervened before Tama could do anything. He made a light comment about Ekaterina's actions towards Tama being something he wouldn't mind watching and the chuunin filed it away under Possible Presents for My Beloved Shiri-tan.

"Tama-chan I missed you for a long time," Shirinai began, taking her hand in his. Tears threatened to spill down her face again. He continued, describing the rollercoaster of emotions he had felt over the past six years, and that despite everything, he never stopped thinking of her. "I'm sorry for yelling earlier. I just thought I didn't deserve to see you again."

No it's me who doesn't deserve to see you, Tama thought to herself. But she said nothing. Shirinai continued, telling her his intentions of wedding Ekaterina, and that he loved her just as much as he loved Tama. Tama understood, it was a rare occurrence where personal preference and political expedience aligned, and though it irked her, she had no right to interfere or complain.

"Even though I know you probably want nothing to do with us after this, it makes me happy to see you again." He bowed and kissed Tama's hand. And Tama knew then, even more than when he had first confessed over the radio in front of the entire Kumo mission support staff, that she loved him. And damned if something like politics was going to get in the way of that. She put her hands on Shirinai's shoulders, and kissed him again, deeply.

"Don't be stupid. I'm not letting you get away that easily. You are mine!" Tama glanced over at Ekaterina, "And Neko-mimi's too, I guess." She then grabbed Ekaterina's wrist and pulled her onto the bed next to her. Before she could say anything, Tama gave her a deep kiss as well. When she finished, Tama stood a took a few steps away from the two, and then turned to face them. Her face was a little flushed. "Well, now everyone's kissed everyone, so we're all even. There's still some things I need to ah, catch up on, but first, something needs to be addressed. Why the hell do you smell like Masao, Shiri-tan? Smoking is bad for the lungs and throat, it ruins the singing voice, and most importantly it makes kissing you taste weird. Kissing Neko-mimi tasted way better, so you need to do something about that habit, or we'll go play together in another room. And you won't be allowed to even watch. Do you agree, Neko-mimi?" She looked to Ekaterina for support, if it was her fault that Shirinai had started smoking, she was going to make him stop. "But I guess I can forgive you for today, besides I was thinking we could have a sleepover to celebrate my triumphant return or something! And then I guess I probably need to go to Kumo and let them know I'm alive and whatnot."

[MFT WC: 1,002]

Takaki Saeko

Yen
ASP
Deaths
The Shogun of Lightning Country had been accused of many things in his life: a pretender, a bastard, a tyrant, a milksop, even a blackguard. But no one had ever possessed the gall to call him slack-jawed. In this moment, however, there Shiranai vk Kaminari stood, his mouth hanging open and unable to form words. Tama had not left him, even though such was her right and she would never have lost face for doing so. Rather, she had simply accepted him and Ekaterina, and their impending marriage while at the same times refusing to release the the red string that bound their fates together. It had stretched, and it had frayed, but it had not broken, and it certainly had not slipped from her grasp. "Tama-chan," he began, but could not comport himself adequately to continue. Rather, he simply threw his arms around her waist and held her tight while he wept like a child.

"Ai-ya," Ekaterina said, closing her eyes as she rested her head against Tama's. She fought to remain upright, fighting the strain of joy, relief, anger, and disbelief that surged within her like the most destructive typhoons that ravaged the coasts of their nations. "She's right, Shiri-tan, we both have to stop our unseemly little habit." She shifted her glance sideways to Tama. "And it looks like you'll be the one to enforce it, Tama-chi..."

A stray glance at Tama's lips, and Ekaterina's own lips started to burn. Her face turned crimson as she only now fully comprehended the fact of what her kiss with Tama could have meant. She hopped back and flailed her arms about. "Er, about earlier! Just f-forget s-some of the things I s-said! Uh, I don't know what came over me! I'm most definitely not that aggressive or lewd, at least not usually!" She started to pace. "I mean, you're really pretty now, but it's not like it got me in the mood or anything... Actually, what happened to you, anyway? Did you like, transplant yourself into someone's body?"

At that moment, a loud knocking pierced the stillness of the room. "Your Grace!" a herald announced outside. "Forgive me, but I bear urgent news! Former Chancellor Tachibana is gravely ill! She will likely not survive the night! She requests your presence, and that of Her Majesty of Bear, as well!"

At this, Shiranai abruptly regained his composure. He squeezed Tama's hands and rose.

"Aye," he shouted back. "Tell her estate I shall be there shortly. You're dismissed."

Guiltily, he looked back at Tama. "I'm sorry, Tama-chan, but we will have to delay our sleepover," he said with regret. "Unless, I think Tachibana-dono might want to see you again. She always held a certain affection for you, even if she, uh, you know."

Suzuki Setsu

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Tama nodded vigorously in response to Ekaterina's comment as she ruffled Shirinai's hair. It smelled nice, once you removed the scent of cigarettes, which Tama was doing with some clever manipulation of wind. And boy, would she enforce it indeed. She noticed Neko-mimi staring at her, more specifically staring at her lips. Tama's face flushed as much as Ekaterina's, "Ah-ha-ha, of course, of course. I see six years has made you more, um, assertive. Right assertive, most definitely not aggressive or lewd," Tama's arms flailed about as well, "I mean I've always thought you were really pretty too, and you're still really pretty, and that kiss was a, it was a, uh, best friend kiss! Right? Yeah, a way to, um reaffirm our friendship, and to prove I'm not a ghost, and...," Tama trailed off before mumbling with a pouting face, "No takebacks though." Luckily, Tama was saved from trying to rationalize her sudden fulfillment of Princess Ekaterina's hidden desires by the girl's curiosity of what had befallen the young chuunin in the last six years.

Eager to change subjects, Tama began while still petting Shirinai's hair, which was ridiculously fluffy, Seriously, what shampoo does he use, I might get addicted to this. "Oh. Um, right. Well, it's kinda a long story. And you're not too far off, though it was more like the other way around." Tama was going to continue, when a loud knock at the door informed the trio that the outside world did, in fact, still exist. "What Ami-chan is sick?!?" Tama exclaimed after hearing the herald announce the grave news to the Shogun. Shirinai abruptly returned to 'lord-of-the-land' mode and stood. Tama was disappointed that she was no longer able to run her fingers through his hair, and absentmindedly held her hands out as if to say, "Noooo, come baaaack." Though she quickly realized this and lowered her hands.

Shirinai offered Tama the chance to accompany them to visit the Chancellor, which she accepted, "Of course. Ami-chan was always good to me. At least, in matters that didn't concern my love life. Though, it might be bad if I just run out of the room with you. I didn't exactly come in through the front door." She thought about it for a second, before hitting on an idea, "Oh, I could just go ghost and follow you guys there. No one will be the wiser!" Tama grinned. "I'll tell you guys the full story after we see Ami-chan." She closed her eyes, and her body faded, becoming transparent and glowing an unearthly green. She floated through the door ahead of the pair, "Let's go! Ami-chan doesn't have all day!" A moment later, she floated back through the door, "You need to lead the way, Shiri-tan. I," ghost-Tama blushed with embarrassment, "don't know where I'm going. Plus I did say I would follow you didn't I?"

Takaki Saeko

Yen
ASP
Deaths
"It's fine, Tama-chan," Shiranai said. "I am the Shogun of the realm, and you don't have to hide-"

His words died as Tama decided to phase out of existence anyway. Shiranai had to smile at this. Tama did what she wanted and didn't give a damn about what others thought. While it sometimes led to trouble, it was also one of her best attributes. As the heaven-mandated leader of his people, Shiranai was separated from everyone else by the impenetrable wall of tradition and status. Even the high shinobi overlords of Kumogakure maintained a detached, deferential air around him, though once he had been a shinobi himself. He recalled once attempting to socialize with Takaki Masao at a gala after the end of the country's civil war. To Shiranai's disappointment, the man had been aloof. Respectful, but definitely not interested in forming friendship. Tama, on the other hand...

"Is it truly wise to take her along?" Ekaterina whispered to Shiranai as Tama's ethereal coattails phased through the door. "You know Tachibana-nim has strong opinions about her..."

"I know, Neko-mimi," Shiranai murmured. "But perhaps it is time I was honest with her about my - about our - wishes."

"You need to lead the way, Shiri-tan." Tama's head poked through the wood again, her face flushed even in ghostly form. "I don't know where I'm going. Plus I did say I would follow you didn't I?"

"Yes, Tama-chan, I will lead," Shiranai said, gently placing his hand against hers. Physically, it felt like brushing air, but something in his heart surged. "And I'll make sure I'm a worthy man to follow."
***​

The Tachibana Estate was a sprawling villa located outside Raiden's Eye, occupying a fertile plain and a rolling orchard of cherry trees. Its servant staff were not only obsequious, but competent, and by the time Shiranai's carriage rolled up to the gates, the estate had been made fully ready to entertain its mistress's liege. To save time, Shiranai and Ekaterina had traveled with only a light contingent of horse to escort their carriage. In addition, fewer men around meant there was less of a chance of Tama's ghostly form causing any trouble.

"Your Grace!" announced the estate's steward in that grating, high-pitched tone reminiscent of Peking opera that all high-class servants seemed to cultivate. "We apologize utterly for the shabby state of this house! Our poor and unworthy efforts do not deserve the kindness of your presence! We beg of you-"

"Enough, my good man," Shiranai said, cutting the man's normal theatrics off. "I wish to see your mistress. You may dispense with the formalities and the feast. I am told she lays on her deathbed, so do not delay us."

"At once, Your Grace. Follow me," the steward said, bowing deeply. He led the trio (to his eyes, possibly only a duo) past the main audience hall with its lines of kowtowing servants, and back into a set of airy chambers. Before a set of doors done in thick rice paper, he knelt, coughed twice, and then slid them open.

"My Chancellor," Shiranai said. He strode up to the side of a thick futon laid out on the tatami floor and knelt, along with Ekaterina. Laying on the futon under a thick cover, was the woman who had once been the source of Lightning Country's might: Tachibana Ami.

Once, Ami had been the favored concubine of Shiranai's father, and her beauty and cunning had been immortalized in poetry long before Shiranai had even been born. However, the person laying on the futon resembled not a ruthless empress-by-proxy, but rather a frail, sunken-featured wisp of a woman with rheumy eyes and paper-thin skin. She turned her head to face Shiranai and parted her lips, but no words came out. She gestured to a sheaf of papers and an ink brush set out on a knee desk nearby.

Knowing what to do, Shiranai presented her with a freshly-inked brush and a clean sheet of paper. With her right hand only, Ami gripped the brush in bony fingers and started to write: "What the hell happened to Mochizuki Tama?"

Suzuki Setsu

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Tama floated inside the carriage, occasionally poking her head through the roof to keep a look out for potential enemies. The Shogun's men seemed well-trained, a big step up from the guards of six years ago. The chuunin recalled a certain social gathering that was easily infiltrated by assassins aiming for Shirinai's life. Whoever was in charge of the security forces for the palace must have gotten replaced since that incident. And the new guy was good. Tama dropped back into the carriage when she was satisfied with the perimeter. The carriage was silent as the journey towards the Tachibana estate continued. Even Tama, who was usually more exuberant, kept silent out of worry for the Chancellor.

The image of Shirinai right before leaving the palace popped into her mind again, temporarily replacing her worries of the Chancellor's grave state of health, "And I'll make sure I'm a worthy man to follow." Her heart had skipped a beat then, and it still raced even just recalling it. She wondered if Ekaterina had felt the same way upon hearing that. The carriage pulled to a stop and Tama quickly pushed the image out of her mind. Ami-chan's the reason we're here, she told herself, Fantasize later! Tama floated after Ekaterina and Shirinai, manipulating the light around her to make her truly invisible. Only those with the ability to manipulate chakra or with some sense of the spiritual were able to see the ghostly form, but Tama didn't want to take any chances at this point. She figured Shiri-tan wouldn't want someone spreading the rumor that a he was haunted by the spirit of death or anything crazy like that. Though I wouldn't mind rumors about Shiri-tan's sexy shinobi wife, she thought to herself with a little grin.

Shirinai expedited the normal process of greeting and exchanging pleasantries with the servants of the estate, and the trio was shown into the Chancellor's chambers. Tama almost couldn't recognize the woman. It's really only been six years, right? she asked herself. She looked as if a slight breeze would simply cause her to crumble. Ami signaled Shirinai to hand her some paper and ink, which he did. And the next words written on the paper caused Tama to fall out of ghostly form laughing.

"'What the hell happened to Mochizuki Tama' indeed! Your sharp tongue hasn't dulled I see!" Tama said boisterously. "Though I'm impressed you could see me Ami-chan! I'm not dead or anything. Though I probably should have died. But I didn't! And now I'm back!" Tama belatedly remembered that Ami was currently in a state of poor health, "Oh, do you need anything, Ami-chan? Sorry, forgot you were sick there for a moment." After making sure Ami was comfortable, she decided to tell everyone there about what had happened to her in the tomb. She described finding the hidden stairwell in the temple, rushing off to complete the trials (leaving her brother behind), getting manipulated into completing a resurrection ritual, trying to save her brother and getting knocked out in the process, and having to compete with an incestuous spirit for control of her fused body. It wasn't a story she was going to be looking forward to repeating. As much as she wanted to brag about all the feats she accomplished, she knew that her actions caused everyone a lot of pain. And so she wouldn't be telling this story to everyone, just the people that mattered to her.

Takaki Saeko

Yen
ASP
Deaths
On the surface, Ami seemed entirely detached from the world. A frail, sick woman hovering in death's antechamber, unwilling or afraid to finally face the Buddha and lay bare her sins. For those who knew her and feared her in life, the conclusion was inevitable: she had incurred such a burden of karma that she would bypass the normal penance of five-hundred lives as a slug and simply be cast straight down to hell. Jigoku, naraka, Hozuki-san's office, there were a lot of names for her final destination but only one meaning. But Ami had long ago made her peace with the fact that she would spend the rest of eternity boiling in blood or being torn apart by mastiffs. Her tenacious grip on life was mainly fueled by fear of something else: the utter failure of Lightning Country as a nation. Therefore she was not detached at all, even though her body did not move as she willed it and no words issued from her lips. She always listened, and always observed.

As Tama recounted her tale of sexually deviant ghost possession, Ami's face remained impassive as it always was, but she boiled inside. Shiranai's shinobi strumpet was back, and not only was the idiot boy still madly in love with the wench, but his wife-to-be also didn't seem to show any objection to Tama's presence. In fact, the Haninozuka Queen seemed almost as in love with Tama as her fiance! What did Shiranai think he was, a main character from a trashy harem comic? The fate of nations hung in the balance. Those shitty garlic-eaters, Ami thought as she regarded Ekaterina, I shouldn't be surprised that their queen turned out to be a godrotting bisexual. Maybe you'll die in childbirth...but make sure you deliver a healthy male, first. But worst of all by far was Tama. Tama, who now carried the soul of some crazy wench inside her and could snap at any minute and undo all of the work that Ami had slaved over her entire life. The horny idiot's going to want to breed with her, isn't he? They'll have half-caste demon-souled children running around causing no end of trouble and the royal family will be caught up in endless scandal. All because you had a stroke, Ami-dear. If only she could just reach out and strangle Tama right then and there, Ami wished. If only her arms and hands would obey her like everyone else in Lightning Country, she'd end the problem right then and there. How dare you, how dare you, how dare you...

Ami blinked in surprise as she found herself having risen from her futon under her own power, with her arms--both her arms--loosely wrapped around Tama's shoulders as if giving the girl an embrace. Shiranai and Ekaterina practically bolted upright in surprise to see this. Realizing the significance of what had happened, but ever relentless in her goals, Ami started to try to choke Mochizuki Tama to death. The only problem was that her actions only more strongly resembled a motherly hug.

"Not strong enough...yet..." Ami said, her voice no more than a whisper, and cracked a regretful smile. She loosened her grip and eased herself back into bed.

Shiranai nearly collapsed when he realized that Ami had spoken for the first time in six years. It defied reality what his chancellor had done. No one recovered from a stroke that severe, not even with the best mednin attention. It was a basic tenet taught at the Aesculapium, and yet somehow Tachibana had regained a semblance of normalcy.

"Chancellor!" Ekaterina said, and rushed to Ami's side. "You can move again?"

"Yes, it seems I can...your majesty..." Ami said. "But it seems this is all for right now...I'm tired..."

"Madam Chancellor, I'll let your doctors know immediately," Shiranai said, immediately taking her pulse and laying a hand on her forehead. Though he could not manifest chakra anymore, he could still detect its traces in the body. It was enough to make him a handy diagnostician in a pinch. "I don't know how this happened, but it is a red-letter day. My Tama-chan has come back to me, and you have recovered some function."

"One last thing, Shiranai..." Ami said, waving his away. "I see you are still infatuated...with the Mochizuki girl...no matter what I say. If you must couple with her...then her children...must forever serve your children...made with Ekaterina. That is the only...proper way..."

"Please, Chancellor, you must rest," Shiranai said. He covered up his annoyance at what Ami had said. Why couldn't his relationship with Tama ever be considered legitimate? Why was she always relegated to second-class status? The thought of his children, no matter the mother, being subjected to servitude... "No more talk of national policy for today, that is a royal decree."

"Milord..." Ami said, and drifted back to sleep.
***​

After they had all left the room and notified Ami's servants of the events, Shiranai was ready to leave with Ekaterina in tow. He knew that this was where Tama would likely part ways with the group, for she was a shinobi first and his lover second, and had obligations to her village.

"Tama-chan," he said, unable to look her in the eye. Godrot that Ami, he thought. Of all of the embarrassing and insulting things to say. "I'm sorry about what she said. It's a little embarrassing. I... Ugh. she's always so obsessed with tradition and protocol."

"But she's right," Ekaterina said, sadly shaking her head. "Your people, as well as my people, would never accept Tamachi's children as legitimate heirs to either throne, even if you're the father. At best, they'd be able to find security as a branch of the royal family. At worst, they'd be considered dangerous: potential rebels or pretenders." She took Tama's hand in hers. "Things may change for other generations, but this is the society we live in. I'm sorry, Tamachi. We don't want to lose you, but Ami's right. We have to think of things beyond ourselves if we're going to make our unconventional relationship work. This isn't one of those situations in which love conquers all."

"Ah, I just don't want to have kids now..." Shiranai moaned.

[Time to wrap up with Tama's response. NPCs will leave after Tama's post.]

Suzuki Setsu

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Tama's eyes watered as Chancellor Ami slowly put her arms around her. "Ah! I missed you too Amicchi!" Tama started crying again, "Don't you worry, you'll be strong enough to give proper hugs in no time!" The chuunin was blissfully unaware of the true intentions of the Chancellor's 'hug' and the reasons behind her sudden improvement in health. She turned to Shiranai and Ekaterina, who were expressing various forms of shock and delight at Ami's recovery, "Look! I'm a miracle worker!" Tama beamed, coming here first had been the right thing to do after all, more good had come of it than ill.

Ami began to speak to Shiranai about his potential children with Tama and Ekaterina, Tama didn't really understand what the elderly woman meant by her children having to serve Ekaterina's. Didn't everyone serve the Shogun, more or less? Maybe she meant perform for them? Well that's agiven. Any child of mine would be exceptionally elegant and acrobatic. Shiranai seemed perturbed by Ami's words, though he masked it well. She could see it in the way he clenched his jaw before speaking. It was a slight tell, and one that Tama only knew from her past interactions with the man, but she kept her wonderings to herself, because it seemed Shiranai didn't want to discuss the matter now.

With Ami recovered and her servants rushing to confirm the group's story, Shiranai and company headed outside the estate, where Shiranai began to apologize for Ami's words. Tama ruffled his head, smiling. Ekaterina chimed in as well, defending the Chancellor, if only for political reasons. Tama nodded, though she really didn't fully grasp the politicking that went on behind the scenes in either Kumo or Lightning Country proper. "Well, I don't really care about power or anything, so long as I get to be with Shiri-tan too. Though I'm NOT going to be called concubine. I swear I'll punch anyone who says as much to Bear and back, twice. Nekomimi can be Queen, I just want to be your wife." Her face was flushed, but her eyes were fierce. After a pause she added, "Not saying that you can't also be his wife, Nekomimi."

Shiranai then mentioned something about not wanting kids, at which Tama grabbed the man by the collar and pulled his face close to hers, "Shi-ri-taaan," she put emphasis on each syllable, "You're the Shogun, riiiiiight? It's part of your duty to have an heir, riiiiight? So if Nekomimi gets one, I get one too dammit!" She kissed him, before turning to Ekaterina, "Right?" She turned back to Shiranai, "And it's not like the process is all that unpleasant right?" She quickly looked at Ekaterina again, and with slightly less confidence asked, "It really isn't unpleasant right?" She released her grip on Shiranai and took a step back, "Unless, you don't want to do it with me too?" This line was said with a pouting tone, and a perfected sad puppy look. One that would melt any man's heart, and maybe a few interested women's hearts as well. "I mean, I've been away so long, I'm sure the village can wait until tomorrow...," she trailed off. She grinned after a few seconds, "What am I saying, of course I'm going back tomorrow! Tonight is sleepover! And if you say no I'll sneak in! That's final." With that, she jumped into the carriage and waited for the other two to climb in as well. It was time for a six-year overdue sleepover.

[MFT WC: 583]
[Topic left with NPCs]

Current Ninpocho Chronicles Time:

Back