Ninpocho Chronicles

Ninpocho Chronicles is a fantasy-ish setting storyline, set in an alternate universe World of Ninjas, where the Naruto and Boruto series take place. This means that none of the canon characters exists, or existed here.

Each ninja starts from the bottom and start their training as an Academy Student. From there they develop abilities akin to that of demigods as they grow in age and experience.

Along the way they gain new friends (or enemies), take on jobs and complete contracts and missions for their respective villages where their training and skill will be tested to their limits.

The sky is the limit as the blank page you see before you can be filled with countless of adventures with your character in the game.

This is Ninpocho Chronicles.

Current Ninpocho Chronicles Time:

Smoke 'Em Out [S-Rank]

Shiruko Makoto

Head Lorekeeper
Staff member
Yen
ASP
Deaths
OOC Rank
S
After the time he had spent starting to get used to his new status with his phoenix companion, and everything that came with it, it was a relief to get away from the nasty looks his teammates sent at each other to his favourite hangout. Makoto basically threw himself into a chair by the bar, to Emiko's apparent great amusement.

"Long day?" she queried, going for whatever new mixed drink she was testing tonight. She had long since learned he was not fussy with his particular type of drink and served as a good test subject, and for that matter didn't mind doing so.

"You could say that," he said with a sigh. He hadn't even had the phoenix's usual calming presence in his mind that day, since it was still asleep within him from the morning's energy transfer. "Let's just say I'm tired of mediating between two of my friends."

She slid him a glass full of something green. Seeing a questioning look, she indicated the glass. "Kali melon mojito. Experimental. Should be nice; the juice I got for this batch was." She waited for him to try it and give an approving nod before continuing. "Have you tried getting them to talk it out like adults? It's worth a shot," she added at his skeptical look.

"Maybe," he said, swilling the dark green substance. "I think they'd rather punch it out, honestly."

Emiko muttered something that sounded like, ninja. "It can't hurt to try. In the mean time, if you'd like your own punching target, one of the waitresses here has a problem that she could use some help on."

~

Said waitress was not at work that evening, but once he mentioned that Emiko had sent him from the bar, she didn't seem to mind that he'd turned up at her address.

The problem she was having, though...

"Squirrels?" he asked incredulously.

"They're a real nuisance," the girl explained, brushing deep violet hair off her forehead. "I think they're nesting in my attic, and I really don't want to get bitten. A few people have given me various options, but none of them worked. And I heard you're the one who got the cats out from under the bar, so, well..."

Makoto made a mental note to point out ninja were not pest control some time in the near future. In the meantime, well, he did need something to do, so he might as well do this. "All right. Fair enough, I suppose. Though you might want to leave for a bit; it's going to get smoky."

"Smoke...? Oh." She shook her head. "I couldn't do that one myself, I'd be too afraid of setting the place on fire. I'll go do the groceries now."

She grabbed her bags and hurried off in what had to be record time. Out of courtesy to her apparent aversion to fire, he didn't head up to the attic and start the fire up until she had left.

No sooner had he reached the top floor that there was a soft pop noise and a small, colourful bird landed on his shoulder. He gave a slight sigh, hoping she wouldn't distract him too much. "Hello, Hitomi."

"Hi hi!" Hitomi said cheerfully, alighting again and turning into some kind of greenish starling in midair. "Whatcha doing? Where's the big silver guy?"

"Getting ready to smoke out some squirrels," he said, already having decided how to basically do it safely. "And it's asleep right now."

"Squirrels? Ooh. Screech!" She briefly turned into a hawk, then seemed to settle on her magpie form for the moment. "Tasty. Can I eat one, or two, or a few?"

He considered this for a moment while locating and deploying the attic stairs from a trap door in the ceiling with the simple expedient of a nudge of his parasol before sheathing it again. "That...might not hurt. At the least, if they thought there was something around here that would eat them, that would also make them go quite far."

"Score!" She did a loop-de-loop in midair, then settled on his shoulder as he climbed the ladder to the attic. "Let me know when it's okay for me to eat one. How are you going to light a fire without burning the place down?"

"Rocks don't burn," he said dryly. Indeed, most of the homes around here were rock of some kind--some sandstone, some other kinds. Wood was not especially common. "As for not burning anything of hers--well, I'll be careful about it."

"It's for a giiiiirl." Hitomi made an amused caw sort of sound, then seemed to think better of it and briefly took the form of a bird that made an odd laughing sound before reverting to her usual cobalt jay form. "Is she pretty?"

"I think we went over this last time, but I don't have interest in that sort of thing," he said, rolling his eyes. He lifted the door to the attic a smidgen before quickly lowering it when he heard scratching and scampering sounds coming rapidly toward him. Squirrels could be quite vicious after all. "Hmm. Let's not let them out this way."

"What're you doing then?" Hitomi asked, interested, turning into a small fluffy robin and hovering in front of him as he leaned back against the ladder in such a way as he could maintain his balance without his hands.

"I told you. Smoking them out." Settling on a method, Makoto gave a twisted smile as he held his hands out.

With a brief application of wood chakra, a pile of twigs appeared in his hands. They probably wouldn't produce that much smoke as it was, so he added a bit of water, too. If everything was chakra, then it would disappear once he completely cut his off from it, or shortly thereafter rather, and thus hopefully wouldn't leave a smoky smell in the house or even really the attic.

Then he set them on fire.

Coughing slightly, he pushed the door to the attic open again and tossed the bundle of sputtering twigs into the attic. They were already emitting a good deal of smoke, and he could hear the frantic chattering sounds right away. He slammed the trap door shut so they couldn't get out through the house, and then went to open a window to get the temporary smoke out of the upstairs area so it wouldn't sink into the fixtures. Just in case he was wrong about the smell.

Hitomi watched all of this with interest. "Sooo...where's my squirrel?"

He gestured to the window with a light smirk. "Go find where they pop out, and you can grab one."

"Ooh, hunting. Fun!" Hawk-shaped again, she dove out the window. He could hear her shouting from there, rather than a hawk's cry, yelling, "FEAR ME, SQUIRRELS! FOR YOU ARE TASTY AND NOT VERY SMART!"

Shaking his head and laughing quietly to himself--although he'd never admit it to her, he found Hitomi's antics occasionally amusing--he leaned back against a the wall and waited for the owner to return home. By the frightened scampering sounds he could hear from the upstairs, the squirrels would be chased away long before that.

Current Ninpocho Chronicles Time:

Back