Ninpocho Chronicles

Ninpocho Chronicles is a fantasy-ish setting storyline, set in an alternate universe World of Ninjas, where the Naruto and Boruto series take place. This means that none of the canon characters exists, or existed here.

Each ninja starts from the bottom and start their training as an Academy Student. From there they develop abilities akin to that of demigods as they grow in age and experience.

Along the way they gain new friends (or enemies), take on jobs and complete contracts and missions for their respective villages where their training and skill will be tested to their limits.

The sky is the limit as the blank page you see before you can be filled with countless of adventures with your character in the game.

This is Ninpocho Chronicles.

Current Ninpocho Chronicles Time:

The Lightning Country Saga: Act 2, Scene 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Takaki Saeko

Yen
ASP
Deaths
</B>
Previously...​
<i>
</i>
Unknown Location, Kaminari no Kuni
...???? Hours

“Out of the fire and into the frying pan, eh, Mochizuki?” quipped Shiranai as he sat next to the girl on a stack of bodies while flames licked at their charred-black feet. Tama turned to face him, grinning in response – or at least, her bare skull did, still draped by the panda-hoodie. Senna now tugged at his arm, causing him to look over at her. Giving him a seductive look, she pressed his hand to the bolt-sized hole right above her left breast, still pumping out arterial blood...

With a start, Shiranai opened his eyes, fighting the urge to vomit. Ice-cold water ran down his face and chest, from where he had been splashed moments before. The world spun crazily, much as it had done aboard the Raiden’s Breath in the final moments of the train’s fiery death. But this time, the spinning was coming from the fact that he was suspended in the air via a chain that connected manacles on his wrists to a ceiling above. As far as he could tell, he was imprisoned in a windowless chamber of some sort, its features hidden in darkness save for a single overhead light that shone fiercely from above and was trained on his head, forcing him to avert his eyes to avoid being blinded. There was no way to tell where he was – no geographic clues or landmarks, and not even a means to tell if he was above or below ground level. Wherever he was, it was also cold, and he shivered violently, having been stripped to a loincloth and drenched. Clenching his teeth, he breathed deeply, attempting to utilize his mednin knowledge to control his physiology and get his body to start warming itself. He looked upward at his bindings, lamenting that his hands were spaced just widely enough to prevent the completion of handseals. Unfortunately, he did not possess the talent for one-handed seals, preventing that option.
Makoro_Avatar2.jpg

rogue_ninbanner_zpsad9d83c5.gif
“Greetings, Shogun. I apologize for the rather austere accommodations,” now said Hayata Makoro, who emerged from the shadows, hands behind his back in a scholarly pose.
Shiranai-1.jpg

cloud_medic_zps76bbfb4d.gif
“Why?! Why are you doing this, Makoro?!” growled Shiranai, now straining at the manacles in vain.

“I’m impressed, Your Majesty,” said Makoro, clapping his hands as he paced a circle around the chained mednin. “You’re probably the first person who’s directly asked me that question. You see, my servants – the various lower-ranked trash that call themselves nukenin, do what I tell them to because in their simplistic minds I am the strongest and therefore I must be correct. The mercenaries and various professionals I employ do my bidding because I pay them well. Amakusa Ryuu gladly accepted my offer of aid in his plans to take the country because of his own greed, and never cared about what my motivations were. The simple and underwhelming truth is that I have labored for the last thirty years in pursuit of a singular purpose: revenge. The irony, which is not lost on me, is that the man I seek revenge on is long-dead. He is, or was, Hayata Takama, my brother.”

“If he’s long dead, are you not satisfied?” asked Shiranai, gritting his teeth. It was more obvious now than it had ever been in the past that Makoro was truly mad. “I’ve heard the stories. You’re the only missing nin who has ever been able to disappear from all of our records. Why throw that away?!”

“A man’s death does not absolve him of the burden of sin,” said Makoro, darkly. “As long as I, the aggrieved, still live, he must pay. And if he cannot render payment, his son will.”

“You’re talking about the Raikage, aren’t you?”

“Yes. Shin, my nephew. At first I thought he would have no future, being too much like his father, and be an easy target. But over the years, as he became a well-rounded man and a more powerful shinobi and eventually the Raikage, I was forced to also expand the scope of my plans. I knew I could not wait for longer, so I acted.”

“The Raikage will never give in to the demands of a terrorist,” spat Shiranai, uselessly straining against his bonds.

“Oh, but I think he will. He is, after all, a Hayata. Not that he won’t need some convincing, though,” said Makoro, now waving his hand lazily in the direction of a darkened corner of the room. A group of five henchmen, their eyes flinty with malice, now approached bearing ominous-looking tools in their hands; a large wooden crucifix, more chains, and three very large nails. One of them pulled on a nearby lever, loosening the manacles that held Shiranai to the ceiling and causing him to drop to the ground. Before he could formulate a plan for escape, two of them roughly hoisted him under his armpits and laid him on the cross, spreading his arms. Another now took up a hammer and a nail, and started to poke at the flesh of the mednin’s wrist. At this point, the future Shogun of Lightning Country realized what was in store for him.

“It’s really not personal, Your Majesty,” said Makoro as he exited the chamber, leaving behind the boy’s screams and the intermittent clanking noises of hammer on nails.

Emergency Assembly of the Council of Nobles
Grand Chamber of the Imperial Diet
Raiden no Me, Kaminari no Kuni
...0800 hours

The high-roofed, palatial Grand Chamber was abuzz with activity and the competing volumes of hundreds of separate conversations at once, only calming down slightly after a series of furious raps of the gavel issued from the Speaker of the Council. He was a graying man in his sixties, and a samurai by birth with the rank of Marquis. It was his job to enforce the complex rules of protocol that governed assemblies of the Council of Nobles, and he had occupied the role for a very long time.

It had been only two days ago that the Raiden’s Breath had met its fiery end and the Crown Prince and future Shogun of the land, the mednin Shiranai, had been captured by the missing nin Makoro. Already, Ami had weathered a stream of nonstop hearings, and now she stood at the Chancellor’s podium, bleary-eyed and increasingly, undeniably desperate. Kumo, with the lone exception of Countess Bakunin, had been silent since Shiranai’s capture. Her letters to Hayata Shin had gone unanswered and she had been informed that the ANBU Vice Commander was still recovering from a severe injury and was unable to reach her. As she looked over the assembled nobility, the only friendly face she beheld was the blue-haired countess’s, who had come of her own accord, as opposed to by any direction of the Raikage. Nearby, Ryuu grinned triumphantly.
Daiki_Avatar.jpg

iCMzg.png
“Esteemed peers of the Council, you have heard the testimony and seen the results of Chancellor Tachibana’s failed political gamble, intended to trick you all into endorsing a no-name shinobi of Kumo as your rightful leader, for the sole purpose of undermining our influence and placing the country’s governance into the hands of the Raikage Hayata Shin, a known radical and heretic who does not endorse the Glory of Raiden! As a nation, we cannot tolerate more selfish misadventures such as these from our leadership. Therefore, I formally move to hold a vote of no confidence against Chancellor Tachibana Ami!” declared Daiki, prompting a cacophony of blended shouts of approval mixed with equally strong booing and calls for his expulsion.

“I second the motion,” responded another voice from the crowd, belonging to a well-dressed but intimidating man in his thirties, the Marquis Lee Kuan Yew, who had always been a longtime enemy of the woman. The Speaker now furiously rapped his gavel against its wooden sounding block.

“Baron Tsukahara, you cannot simply call for a vote of no confidence against the current head of state without nominating a replacement,” he warned Daiki, who rolled his eyes.

“In that case, I move that we formally recognize Daimyo Amakusa Ryuu as hereditary Shogun of Kaminari no Kuni,” responded the redhead, prompting an overwhelming chorus of raised voices, cheers, catcalls, applause, and banging of geta against wooden desks.

“Absolutely not!” roared Kouhei, now dressed in his full military splendor and flanked by Naoto and Princess Miyu.

“Seconded!” shouted various members of the Diet. Ami now cleared her throat.
Lady_Ami.jpg

yh4TZ.png
“May I remind the Council that until we have conclusive evidence of his death, His Majesty Shiranai vi Kaminari is still the Crown Prince of Kaminari no Kuni?” she stated.
Ryuu_Avatar.jpg

BP67D.png
“You have no proof that he is alive, either!” jeered Ryuu from his seat.

“Daimyo Amakusa, in the event of the disappearance or presumed death of the Shogun or his immediate successor, our custom demands a one-week period of search be conducted before he is presumed dead,” responded Ami.

“Very well, I make the motion that we table this emergency session to concentrate our efforts of verifying the whereabouts and status of Crown Prince Shiranai. We will resume in three days,” said the speaker, about to rise from his seat.
Sayaka_Av.jpg

countess.png
“Seconded!” piped the Countess Bakunin from her seat, followed by a ripple of “ayes” from the room.

“And when we do, we will resume the vote of no confidence with Daimyo Amakusa as Shogun-nominee!” shouted Daiki, prompting a chorus of affirmatives from the room.

“Yes, of course,” said the speaker with obvious distaste, before slamming the gavel down.

Office of the Raikage, Torre Celeste
Kumogakure no Sato, Kaminari no Kuni
…0900 hours

A neatly hand-written letter lay on Shin’s desk, its contents obvious for all to see.
To Hachidaime Raikage Hayata Shin and his subordinates:

You all know who I am, and that I have the Crown Prince at my mercy. If you wish to see him alive and this country not reduced to total ruin, you will do exactly as I say. In three days I will bring him to the roof of the Torre Celeste. There, Hayata Shin will surrender himself into my custody and I will release Shiranai into yours. You will have a Thunderhawk-class transport ready for our exit. Any attempt at deception, especially the use of the chakra organism named “Deta” as a double, and the deal is off and you will never see Shiranai again. As an added precaution, you will allow a force of my men to occupy the bottom and top floors of the Torre Celeste and expel all other shinobi from the premises. There is no need to reply to this message. I am always watching.

-Hayata Makoro

Attached to the letter was a picture of a crucified, wild-eyed Shiranai, his face haggard and bloody. It was obvious that there was not much time left.

And now...

Emergency Assembly of the Council of Nobles
Grand Chamber of the Imperial Diet
...0900 hours

“ORDER! ORDER!! I WILL HAVE ORDER FROM THIS COUNCIL!!” bellowed the Speaker, smashing his gavel against the wooden sounding board so hard that the handle broke from impact and sent its wooden head flying off into the distance. Ordinarily, this would have prompted quite the reaction from the amassed Council of Nobles, but today the faux pas went unnoticed, drowned out by the cacophony of discussion, negotiation, and argument overtaking the room. It had been three days since the last assembly, and today would be the day that determined the legitimate successor to the Shogun’s throne at Raiden no Me, and thus who was the ruler of Lightning Country. Daimyo Amakusa Ryuu beamed in his seat, Baron Tsukahara Daiki seated next to him. He had already dressed in a three-piece tuxedo, and wore his favorite pair of white kid gloves, and was adorned with the full regalia of his line – clothing that a newly appointed ruler would normally wear on the day of his coronation. And in truth, without any evidence that the previously decided-upon Crown Prince was alive, it would likely be the day of Ryuu’s coronation.

Countess Oishi Bakunin, thirty-seventh in her line, attempted to drown out the insanity-inducing levels of noise and utter disregard for protocol at first with her hands, and briefly considered committing public seppuku just to make the noise stop. Her emotions were mixed – last night, Ami had come to her in tears, an event as rare as a dragon sighting, and the two had engaged in an intimacy that neither thought possible between two women. But today, if Ryuu were made Shogun, it meant Ami was in danger. He would likely strip her of her position, and once that happened, as a non-noble, she would be no better protected from his wrath than a bug against the Raikage. He had once threatened to hang her alongside the common criminals in the city’s square, and if anything, Ryuu kept his grudges. The countess had spent the remainder of the night formulating a plan to save the Chancellor; according to the law, it was already illegal for two men to marry, but the laughably misogynist writers of those original edicts had completely forgotten to mention the marital rights of women, thus making it possible for two women to marry. And the best thing about this legal oversight was that no one had ever sought to correct it, even when women had married in the past, for fear of exposing it to the public and prompting an explosion of lesbian marriages. Ami could come under her legal protection through matrimony, Bakunin had realized. And if they retreated to Kumo swiftly, avoiding the inevitable assassin squads, then there was nothing Shogun Ryuu would be able to do about it. Ami’s expression as she stood at the Chancellor’s podium maintained her trademark serenity, but the façade was visibly starting to crack.
Sayaka_Av.jpg

countess.png
“Marshal General, if you would allow me to borrow that,” said Bakunin to Nobunaga Kouhei, who stood nearby. The general raised an eyebrow when he realized that she wanted to borrow his pistol crossbolter, but shrugged and handed it to the petite, blue-haired woman.

A sharp and unmistakable crack sounded through the room as the hand-arbalest discharged, carving a fist-sized hole in the ceiling of the chamber and causing all present to immediately duck and fall silent. All eyes in the room shifted immediately to the countess, who held the weapon in the air, its barrel still smoking from the friction of the bolt’s passage. The Speaker immediately cleared his throat, taking advantage of the disruption.

“Order in the Council! Countess Oishi, please refrain from further discharge of weaponry in our chambers, thank you.” he said, emphasizing the last part before turning to the crowd. “I hereby continue the previous emergency session of the Council. I will take…motions for new business,” he said, sighing.
Daiki_Avatar.jpg

iCMzg.png
“I move that we make a formal vote of no confidence against Chancellor Tachibana, recognizing Daimyo Amakusa Ryuu ro Kaminari as the new Shogun of Lightning Country!” said Daiki, followed by a chorus of ayes and seconds as well as nays, but fewer in number than three days ago.

“The motion passes. This vote must be conducted by roll call, and is by plurality,” said the speaker. “Very well…we will start with Baron Anzu of Yasogami Province…”

An hour later…​
<i>
</i>

“The votes have been tallied,” announced the speaker. Ami closed her eyes. This was the end… “Of two hundred present, there are one hundred and twenty ‘aye’ votes, seven abstentions, and seventy-three ‘nay’ votes.” He looked over at Ami. “The ‘ayes’ have it. Madam Chancellor, you are hereby relieved of your position…”
Ryuu_Avatar.jpg

BP67D.png
Damned right, you heinous bitch! Oh, I won’t just hang you, I'll also crucify your corpse and let it rot on the gates of my palace. I'll even keep the damned birds from eating it just so I can enjoy your humiliation longer! thought Ryuu, grinning maliciously. Bakunin shot a glance over at Ami, and brought out the two engagement bands she had purchased...
Shiranai-1.jpg

cMrxc.png
“INVALID!” roared a new voice from the entrance to the chamber. It was ragged and betrayed a lot of pain, but it was also strong and clear. As the nobles turned their heads toward the new arrival, a collective gasp went up throughout the room. “Crown Prince Shiro Amakusa Yuuto vi Kaminari invalidates this result!” shouted Shiranai as he hobbled into the chamber. The boy looked to be a complete mess – face covered in bruises, wrists bound heavily with gauze, and an intravenous line still in his arm, into which a unit of blood still ran in. Wearing a patient’s gown, he supported himself painfully with a crutch, favoring his right leg.

“This council has already determined that I am the legitimate heir to the Shogunate of Kaminari no Kuni, and therefore Daimyo Amakusa’s claim to my position is overturned! The vote of no confidence is null and void!” he bellowed over the avalanche of shouts, curses, hoots of approval, and new orders relayed to subordinates.

“He is correct! The vote is invalid! Motion does not pass!” said the speaker now, excitedly, prompting an avalanche of noise and raised voices throughout the hall.

“Bullshit! You’re supposed to be DEAD!” screamed Ryuu, rising from his seat and clamping his hands down on his desk in rage.

“God dammit, SHUT UP, Ryuu!” retorted Shiranai, hobbling toward the Speaker and the Chancellor. Ami fell to her knees in shock, her lips quivering, prompting Mizuki and Yui to rush to her side. She waved them off, however, as Shiranai now knelt in front of her, losing his grip on the crutch and causing it to clatter to the floor.

“Madam Chancellor, I’m sorry I’m a bit late. I had to say goodbye to Tama and Senna at the hospital. They’re both going to be fine…” he said, catching his breath. “I know it’s a bit inconvenient, Ami, but will you help me rule this country?” he asked, clasping her hands in his own. Ami smiled brilliantly now, her expression suffused with a never-before-seen joy.

“With pleasure, Your Highness,” she said, pulling him into a tight embrace as tears coursed down her cheeks.

The Lightning Country Saga

Produced by Takaki Masao

Written by:

Takaki Masao
Akira Saito
Santaru Rin
Hayata Shin

Nobunaga Kouhei, Izanagi Naoto, Shiro Miyu, Shiranai, Tachibana Ami, Tokugawa Mizuki, Gasai Yui, Amakusa Ryuu, Tsukarahara Daiki, Damashi Kenta, Seiji Souta, Kato Takumi, Kuro Shou, Reina Barchenowa, and Suzuki Jun are characters originally created by Akira Saito

Hayata Makoro, Morishima Haruka, Natsume Eru, Takaki Saeko, Daisuke Date, Senada Jacques, and Ayatsuji Haru are characters originally created by Takaki Masao

Nemoto Aran is a character originally created by Nemoto Senna

Shinobi Cast:

Hayata Shin

Takaki Masao

Isaski Kushin

Santaru Rin

Horo Danshi

Oishi Bakunin

Umeki Rai

Kato Haruka

Mochizuki Tama

Nemoto Senna

Kogami Ayumu

Tagiushi Moro

Hoshiko Gin

Hinote

Shinrya Kitsune

Asazaki Enma

Ouja KaiKai

Nakamura Akihiko

Gateru Risu

Gateru Rega

Hitoshirezu Akkeio

Kimura Rei

Akimichi Mitsuru

Heiwakaen Takumi

Gaidoku

S. Joukuu

Akahana Ryu

Itonami Ataeru

Inuzuka Gekido

Suzuki Kiyoko

Written on Location in Kumogakure, Raiden no Me, Sekai Yuki, the Democratic Kagoshiman Republic, and the Holy See of Tenouza.

Based on a story by Takaki Masao and Akira Saito

A Takaki Masao Presentation

In association with Cloud Council

The Lightning Country Saga

Takaki Saeko

Yen
ASP
Deaths
</I>
Shiranai_Av_Arc2.jpg
For the first time in nearly two decades, Lightning Country breathed a collective sigh of relief. The long-lost crown prince, formerly Shiro Amakusa Yuuto vi Kaminari, had formally been enthroned with the endorsement of the Council of Nobles and the Council of Eleven Moons, and his first edict after the brief coronation ceremony had been to officially end the civil war. As a nod to that period of his life between eight and sixteen years of age and a sign of respect to the village that had abducted but also raised him during these formative years, the Shogun had chosen to keep the adopted name he had been given during his time in the village. He was not Yuuto anymore, but Shiranai, meaning
the unknown one.
Ryuu_Av_Arc2.jpg
Daimyo Amakusa Ryuu ro Kaminari’s succession bid had been thwarted, and he was now compelled to withdraw his thinly-stretched mercenary forces from their occupation zones, lest he face being branded a rebel and subject to the wrath of the Imperial Army, Imperial Navy, and the numerous other neighboring lords who lusted after his substantial land holdings. Although weakened militarily, Ryuu personally remained as powerful and as rich as ever, managing to win immunity from the usual sanctions, one of the concessions he had eked out in a last-minute deal with an unknown payment. The unfortunate Sir Damashi Kenta still remained the Daimyo’s personal bodyguard, proving that an oath is an oath. Baron Tsukahara Daiki was noted to have become more tempered since his experiences during the conference. The extremes of behavior he was known for were now blunted, and he had taken to thoughtfully gazing out of his window most days, as if waiting for a certain blue-haired Countess he loved to appear over the horizon.
Ami_Av_Arc2.jpg
Chancellor Tachibana Ami, vindicated in her support of an obscure Cloud medic-nin as the long lost Crown Prince, now commanded the loyalty of practically the entire council of nobles, and those who had opposed her were quickly disgraced and marginalized. Her power over the Bakufuu of Lightning Country, in the Shogun’s name, was now absolute. As her first act, she resurrected a long-defunct organization – the Bakufuu Security Agency – to serve as a secret police force under direction of her direct subordinates, the newly-promoted Margrave Tokugawa Mizuki and Captain-Commander Gasai Yui. The second act of hers was to immediately bring all media in Lightning under state control and censorship, effectively destroying whatever freedom of speech had once existed. Already, rumors were starting to spread that she was the one actually in charge of the country, not the new Shogun.
Kouhei_Av_Arc2.jpg
Takumi_Av2_zps0c7ee046.jpg
<I>
Marshal General Nobunaga Kouhei and Grand Admiral Kato Takumi formally swore their allegiances to the new Shogun, and at long last the military of Kaminari no Kuni was a unified force on land and at sea, even if a very battered and depleted one. Izanagi Naoto was formally promoted to Major General and given command of the Western Army to serve as a buffer against the rapidly increasing forces of Marsh Country. And as for Rear Admiral Reina Barchenowa, she took a temporary leave of duty to pursue her goal of marrying the quirky and unfortunate shinobi she had fallen in love with aboard the
Raiden’s Breath, one Horo Danshi.

Private Chamber, Shogun’s Palace
…1300 hours

For Takaki Masao, Vice Commander of the Kumogakure ANBU and unofficial contact point between the village and the new Shogun, he cared only to return home. Although it was an honor to be granted a personal audience with the new Shogun, he was already itching to be out of the Capital and away from its problems. As he waited impatiently in a plush, velvet-upholstered chair in the ornate reception chamber, he looked casually outside, shooting a look of disdain at the guard nodding off outside. He was tempted to smoke, but did not know how that would go over in front of the new head of state. Before long, Shiranai himself appeared, flanked by a rotund, jolly-appearing steward. This time, Masao would need to be the one to rise and greet him, which he proceeded to do.
Shiranai_Av_Arc2.jpg

1AxJA.png
“Ah, this brings back memories, Vice Commander,” said Shiranai, smiling sincerely. Masao could not help but grin in approval. The kid cleans up nicely. I see he’s already favoring foreign-style dress, he thought, noting Shiranai’s new, tailored wool suit and jacket with cummerbund and cravat. One inescapable sign of his status, however, was the ornate katana strapped to his waist.

“It does, your highness. The Raikage regrets that he cannot be here as well. He’s had his hands completely full in the aftermath of the Makoro crisis,” said Masao.

“I completely understand, having been a shinobi myself,” said Shiranai, chuckling. As he accepted a drink from one of the servants, Masao noted the subtle tremble of the boy’s hands.

“You know, Karubin Ree is willing to drop everything to concentrate on repairing your hands, if you choose.”

“I appreciate Karubin-sensei’s generosity and I don’t doubt his expertise,” said Shiranai, tipping his head in thought. “But when I accepted the throne, I also accepted that I was to be Shogun of Lightning, and not a Shinobi of Cloud. I’ve accepted the sacrifice of my ability to perform handseals because it reminds me that I have to concentrate on learning to use the new tools at my disposal, not the old ones,” he said, his expression bittersweet.

“I was wrong about you, your highness. When we first met, frankly I thought you were a complete ass and a coward. But you’re actually quite courageous. The country will benefit from that,” said Masao, nodding.

“And I thought you were a douchebag yourself,” said Shiranai, causing both men to laugh. “Ah, but I know you wish to get home. Please…a small token of my government’s appreciation,” he said, motioning to the steward. The steward now bowed graciously to Masao, holding out a tied, grapefruit-sized bag marked with the seal of the bakufuu, which the ANBU accepted politely with both hands. He knew what was inside – large, ovoid disks of pure gold called koban, each one marked with the seal of the Bakufuu and weighing in at a hefty fifty grams, enough to pay a jounin’s entire yearly salary.

“I know it’s nothing compared to what you all have done for me, and for our country, but consider it a symbol of the future business between my government and Kumo. The war did a lot of damage – there will be many wrongs that need to be righted, especially with shinobi talents,” said Shiranai, nodding his head.

“Your majesty is extremely generous, and we thank you for your continued patronage of our services,” replied Masao.

“Despite all that’s happened, and all that I have to look forward to, I still miss Kumogakure. One of these days, I will be back to visit. Farewell for now, Vice Commander,” said Shiranai, smiling sadly.

“Any time, your majesty. And good luck,” said Masao, bowing one final time to the new Shogun and turning to leave. As he strode out of the room, he let out a breath of relief. Hayata Makoro, the greatest threat to Cloud since the Hitokage, was now gone, and Raikage Shin had established himself as a strong, dependable leader. The long-lost prince of the nation was back in his rightful place on the throne, and the country could start the long, slow process of healing from the wounds inflicted by nearly twenty years of decay that had culminated in a year of civil war. Perhaps now, Rin and he could concentrate on naming a true Grand Commander to succeed them, and dare for the first time to think of an actual, permanent retirement.

The bag of coinage felt reassuringly bulky, and gave off a pleasant tinkling noise with every footfall. The money was a gift to Cloud itself, and would be presented to the Raikage on his arrival. It was up to Shin to determine how it would be spent, but knowing the man, Masao expected that it would likely go toward supporting the families of the many shinobi who had died in the course of the last few months. Money of course did not bring back loved ones from the dead, but it certainly helped the bereaved to cope better. Fastening the bag to a loop on his belt, he made his way through the long, arched hallway that would lead to the throne room and from there to the palace exit. He and Rin had planned to have a home-cooked meal together that night, and there was no way he would be late for something that important.

Instinct made him turn his head to cast one last glance at the Shogun. The guard from earlier was missing…

The subtle glinting of freshly spattered blood adorning a nearby column now caught his eye, and he swore to himself at the realization of what was about to transpire. Instantly, he turned, drawing pistol crossbolter and sword, and barreled with all his might toward Shiranai’s chamber. As he closed within ten meters, he could now see a figure clothed in a brown cloak and wearing what looked like an older-model ANBU mask slicing open the steward’s throat in a fluid, graceful motion that screamed “chakra user.” As the rotund man fell backward with hands uselessly grasping at his sundered airway, the assassin now lunged at Shiranai. Only the former mednin’s training allowed him to draw his own katana and barely deflect the blow, sending the boy spinning off balance. The assassin did not waste a moment, and prepared to cleave the supine ruler’s head off at the neck, but was forced to whip around and parry the two bolts Masao shot at him.

The Vice Commander dropped his bolter and shifted both hands to a stronger grip on his sword as he aimed a vicious overhead strike at the brown-cloaked opponent, who ducked out of the way just in time to avoid being split in two. Immediately, the assassin swung his blade at Masao’s exposed head as a riposte, only to have it shear a kwarimi target in half. A lance of destructive energy now shot out at the assassin from behind, forcing the man to dive to the floor as the jutsu burned a dark scorch mark across the back of his cloak. Masao was on his opponent now with his blade swinging in a deadly series of feints, jabs, and slashes aimed at his opponent’s vital spots – it was swordsmanship of the highest order, wasting absolutely no movements, and taught only to the most senior ranks of the ANBU…and the Raikage’s personal guard. And yet this unknown opponent seemed to counter every one of his deadly strikes and slashes with perfect efficiency.

Masao hissed as a glancing slash from the assassin’s blade opened a wound on his upper right arm. The burning sensation spreading from the wound was a sure sign of a paralytic agent. There was not much time left before his arm grew completely numb and his fighting ability would falter – desperate measures were needed! Pretending to falter under the action of the deadly toxin, the Vice Commander dropped his arm, pretending to lose his grip on the sword. As he did so, a glint of triumph flashed across the assassin’s visible eyes as the man went in for the kill. Not so fast! thought Masao, grinning back as he now grasped the sack of coins hooked to his belt and violently wrenched it free, right in the direction of the assassin’s head. The valuable package exploded into a shower of gold as a million yen flew in all directions across the room, causing the brown-cloaked assassin to flinch. It was all Masao needed, and with his left arm, he swung at the man’s head, forming a meta-blade of pure chakra in his hand…

With a shattering sound, the top half of the assassin’s mask fragmented into small white shards accompanied by a spray of blood. To the Vice Commander’s dismay, his opponent had jerked his head back at the last possible second, only sustaining a horizontal cut across the cheek. The mask itself was finished, and fell to the ground, revealing the assassin’s face.
Enishi_Av2_zps076cbc80.jpg

VGocR.png
"Vice Commander."

“…Enishi?!” Masao growled in surprise.

Before the assassin could respond, the rumbling sound of running, heavily-armed men rushing down the hall distracted both of their attentions, and as the Shogun’s Honor Guard burst into the room, the assassin hurled himself through a nearby window in a shower of sparkling glass.

Immediately, Masao rushed to the broken window, sword in hand. But by then, it was too late - Yukimura Enishi, former Commander of the Raikage’s Honor Guard and now missing nin implicated in the assassination of the seventh Raikage of Kumogakure, had successfully fled. Shiranai now approached Masao, the look on his face saying all that needed to be said. There was a new game afoot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Current Ninpocho Chronicles Time:

Back