Sorry for interrupting your retirement (private)

The Seki District is Kumogakure's residential area for its better-off inhabitants. Most of the clan complexes and prominent family estates can be found here, along with shops and markets to supply residents' needs. Life here can be as comfortable and idyllic as one wishes, although most shinobi tend to find this sort of existence stifling.

Moderator: Cloud Council

Osuteno
Cloud Med-Nin
Cloud Med-Nin
Cash on hand: Locked
Donater

Sorry for interrupting your retirement (private)

Tue May 15, 2018 6:29 am

It was a slightly windy afternoon as Osu walked through a light snow. In one hand he carried a red ‘paper’ umbrella and in the other her carried a rather nice teapot. He walked through an old but well kept neighborhood with many ancestral homes behind high walls and gates. Eventually he came to one property that stuck out considerably due to how poorly maintained it was.

Contrary to his usual manners, Osu didn’t bother waiting for permission to enter, partly because he would be lucky to even be rejected. Instead he crossed the property and entered the house without much hesitation and coughed slightly as he crossed the threshold. “Pardon my intrusion,” Osu called out lightly, knowing very well the resident could probably still hear him if he whispered.

Osu entered the kitchen listening if he could hear the heartbeat of anyone in the house while he put on some tea. “You may remember my previous visit, Kiyo-Sama, I am Chigokai Osuteno. I was here with Takaki Saeko and Kagetsu Yuii some time back. I was hoping we could have a chat over tea.”

Admittedly Osu’s hopes weren’t high for a reply, but even if he were met with silence he wouldn’t force himself too deep into the house and simply sit in the living room for a few hours, drinking freshly brewed tea paying attention for any sign of the retired Raikage.
[center][img]http://i.imgur.com/reZO5C7.gif[/img][/center]
[center][i]"A real man emanates an aura of manliness that cannot be hidden, no matter what clothes he may wear."[/i] -Kusunoki Yukimura[/center] [center][url=http://www.ninpocho.com/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=43651]Profile[/url] [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwB6LDt0o_w]Osu's Theme Song[/url][/center]
Kagetsu Yuii
Cloud Main Branch Sennin
Cloud Main Branch Sennin
Bank: Locked
Valentine's Event 2018

Re: Sorry for interrupting your retirement (private)

Wed May 16, 2018 1:03 pm

The small house the former Raikage called home had been set upon a quarter acre of land long before the population boom the village had seen eighty years before and it began to grow vertically to compensate. The homes around it had grown with the families housed within, most leaving tiny corners or making use of roof space now for gardens, but like the lady within, the stone and wood construction had remained largely unchanged in its nearly one hundred years of life.

And so her garden grew.

Unkept they called it but to Kiyo, the cultivated chaos surrounding the home she had been 'gifted' after fifteen years of sacrifice was the only place of order left in the village of Kumogakure. Every leaf, every branch and every rock had been ordered with precision and everything had its purpose.

Cruel care had been taken in making her front garden uninviting. The crumbling stone fence caked in moss and winter stripped vines protected her from the order of the outside world. Her web and thorny, twig covered path gave the illusion of absence, turning away unwanted solicitors better than any sign. The thick, needled green foliage blocked out curious eyes so well there was no need for curtains. Twists of brambles made even shinobi children think twice before exploring its grounds. It even had the added advantage of blocking the towering monuments to change, buildings which sprung from the old to house the ever-growing masses.

In contrast, the back garden was a welcoming labour of love. Edible and medicinal plants hung and grew from every available surface, flourishing despite their apparent overcrowding and the colder weather in the world beyond. The mammoth trees which lined the property that looked so unwelcoming from the outside offered light shade and many appeared fruit bearing. A small paradise designed to feed, heal and comfort the single occupant which dwelled inside. In amongst the foliage, there were but a few signs of human comforts; a grapevine twisted swing, a comfortable seat created at the base of the a giant oak tree, and a work table littered with various tools.

Osu had been privy to both views as he trudged past every warning thorn and willow bush that announced he was unwelcome and settled himself with tea on one of two couches which overlooked the back garden through open doors. As with most gardens constructed by Hashigaki, there was no visual logic to the colours or types of plants grouped together, but with each changing gust of wind a new mixture of pleasant scents found their way into the small home. A record player sang out an instrumental melody from the far living room corner, adding an extra sense of serenity to the area.

A retired woman's perfect retreat.
And amongst it all was Kiyo, curled in layers of mismatched clothing and a thick woolen blanket beneath that giant oak tree. Several books were carefully piled next to her and their presence, along with the way she rubbed at one eye gave away why she had yet to flee. The rigid way she held herself and thudding of her heartbeat suggested he was dangerously close to losing the opportunity to talk.

“Νομίζει ότι θέλουμε να μιλήσουμε. Διασκεδαστικός,” she hissed under her breath in melodic classical, “Πιστεύει ότι είναι οικογένεια; Αυτό το έκοψε. Λυπάται, ίσως;” Then, finally in common, “Bold. Chigokai choose an interesting ambassador this time. The answer is still no.”
PM me for Academy Lessons, Tutor threads or anything else.
If you need anything, PM/DM me! Main Branch Info
Osuteno
Cloud Med-Nin
Cloud Med-Nin
Donater

Wed May 16, 2018 9:19 pm

Osu blinked a bit in surprise as the former Raikage spoke. “Pardon my lacking education, Δεν ξέρω την αρχαία γλώσσα,” Osu said fluently in the much rougher Vulgar.

“I feel as if there is already a misunderstanding in the mix. I am not here as a representative for any of my Aunts, but for myself… Though I must admit I am now curious as to what they are after from you now… isn’t likely Ookami herself is involved since she is too busy satisfying her hedonism night and day, and I can’t imagine more than two of the other matriarchs working together willingly without Ookami forcing them to set aside their petty squabbles personally… Ah pardon me, I got distracted. It is simply that it is a bit of a family trait for us Chigokai to never budge once we decide on something being necessary, for better or worse. The only ones more aware of this familial trait of ours than the Kagetsu would probably be the Santaru, but the reason of my visit isn’t to discuss a millennium of inter-familial politics.

More formally I will introduce myself as the second in command and honestly de facto leadership of a growing majority of the medical branch, with no disrespect or ill intentions directed towards the current sennin and my senior under the same teacher. She is an older sister to me, but it has become a bit of a necessity for me to usurp a bit of authority here and there to create a bit of a independent faction within the village. I won’t speak in riddles and flowery words. There are a number of traitorous bastards, daimyo precisely, who have reason and ability to bring our village great harm through the use of a dangerous growing force in our country, I need help translating many documents written in Classical, and I am trying to limit the involvement and knowledge of the current administration as much as provably possible for when the Shogun starts demanding the heads of those responsible should all go well and all the more so if they don’t. I am not asking you to leave your retreat, but to simply teach me a few things and point me in the right direction for a few questions I believe you will be able to answer. Tea? I grew the leaves and roasted them myself.”
[center][i]"A real man emanates an aura of manliness that cannot be hidden, no matter what clothes he may wear."[/i] -Kusunoki Yukimura[/center] [center][url=http://www.ninpocho.com/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=43651]Profile[/url] [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwB6LDt0o_w]Osu's Theme Song[/url][/center]
Kagetsu Yuii
Cloud Main Branch Sennin
Cloud Main Branch Sennin
Valentine's Event 2018

Fri May 18, 2018 4:18 am

Kiyo exhaled a long plume of steam into the winter air and pressed her head to the bark of her tree. "Curious," she hummed as Osu began to rattle on about his clan. He was somehow managing to simultaneously mock and overshare, an interesting mixture from a trained shinobi. The academy's lessons on discretion must not have left a mark on this one. "If one recognizes that the base motives of the grand three have scarcely deviated for centuries, then one is provided all the tools one needs to trace the threads of their reasoning. I invite you to ponder on that, as the subject bores me." she retorted in a bland, measured tone. "Αν και αναρωτιέμαι αν θα ενοχλήσετε αφού δεν περιλαμβάνει μαύρη δαντέλα, διακόπτη συμβόλων."

The former Kage lapsed into thoughtful silence as the subject changed to motives and the oversharing continued. It was hard to tell if she was even listening, bundled, hooded and turned away as she was. Curls of red hair coated in a fine layer of frost betrayed no thoughts as Osu laid out his bold future plans in skeletal simplicity. By the tale of traitors, Kiyo's head lulled sharply towards her shoulder though and by the admittance of conspiracy to withhold information from leadership, she grew still. Asleep.

A minute stretched by before she startled back to life, but not, as Osu might hope, to give his proposition any thought- if she'd even absorbed it.

"Do you like poetry, young Chigokai?"
Osuteno
Cloud Med-Nin
Cloud Med-Nin
Donater

Fri May 18, 2018 4:47 am

Osu was rather caught off guard by the reply. “I… yes and no. I enjoy the idea of poetry and I can appreciate the effort and creativity that goes into pieces, particularly the melodies and aesthetics of word choice. But when it comes down to it, I have difficulty identifying with most works, despite typically understanding the intended messages.” He was rather confused by where this was going but he had always been a curious and mostly patient person. Mostly.
Kagetsu Yuii
Cloud Main Branch Sennin
Cloud Main Branch Sennin
Valentine's Event 2018

Fri May 18, 2018 3:25 pm

"A pity, but not shocking," Kiyo hummed with an air of disappointment. From the second floor, a clock began to chime from, counting the hours to three in a warbling, musical tone. Signalled that it was time to end her garden reverie, Kiyo stood, blankets and all, and carefully picked her way through the snow towards the open glass doors.

"I will quote Uittoman for you," she stated with a spark of energy as she shut each door then squirmed loose of her blanket cocoon and shed it into a basket, "I sit and look out upon all the sorrows of the world, and upon all oppression and shame; I hear secret convulsive sobs from young men, at anguish with themselves, remorseful after deeds done; I see, in low life, the mother misused by her children, dying, neglected, gaunt, desperate; I see the wife misused by her husband—I see the treacherous seducer of young women; I mark the ranklings of jealousy and unrequited love, attempted to be hidden."

As the words flowed, she flowed across the room to the inset stone fireplace opposing the garden view. The short journey brought Kiyo past the couch which Osu had chosen for his soapbox, and though she exuded confidence, her thundering heart betrayed her. It did not slow as she created a pile of logs and, with a quick seal, lit them.

"—I see these sights on the earth; I see the workings of battle, pestilence, tyranny—I see martyrs and prisoners; I observe a famine at sea—I observe the sailors casting lots who shall be kill'd, to preserve the lives of the rest; I observe the slights and degradations cast by arrogant persons upon laborers, the poor, and upon the displaced, and the like. All these—All the meanness and agony without end, I sitting, look out upon; See, hear, and am silent." As if to give the final word its proper respect, the redhead stood and drifted wordlessly from the room and, unless stopped, up the stairs and into her bedroom.
Osuteno
Cloud Med-Nin
Cloud Med-Nin
Donater

Fri May 18, 2018 7:26 pm

Osu gave a small tsk as he heard the poem, as he had heard it before. He waited for the former kage to finish though, and didn’t physically move to stop her as she stood and began walking. Instead he recited a piece himself as he watched her start to leave him, and would continue to speak even if she left him down here entirely, as he knew very well she would be able to hear him regardless. Though not with a poem, but a famous letter, “Whilst men are linked together, they easily and speedily communicate the alarm of any evil design. They are enabled to fathom it with common counsel, and to oppose it with united strength. Whereas, when they lie dispersed, without concert, order, or discipline, communication is uncertain, counsel difficult, and resistance impracticable. Where men are not acquainted with each other’s principles, nor experienced in each other’s talents, nor at all practised in their mutual habitudes and dispositions by joint efforts in business; no personal confidence, no friendship, no common interest, subsisting among them; it is evidently impossible that they can act a public part with uniformity, perseverance, or efficacy. In a connection, the most inconsiderable man, by adding to the weight of the whole, has his value, and his use; out of it, the greatest talents are wholly unserviceable to the public. No man, who is not inflamed by vain-glory into enthusiasm, can flatter himself that his single, unsupported, desultory, unsystematic endeavours, are of power to defeat the subtle designs and united cabals of ambitious citizens. When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle. I quote Bāku.

I am familiar with Uittoman’s works, but if one’s answer to observing the wrongs of the world is the end of action rather than the beginning, then they are but walking corpses, and I doubt even he meant the poem to be understood this way. The more one knows the more dead one must be to not feel the cause for action. You should know more than I of the forgotten history of why this village was formed, why we hid from all those countless years ago, and why our ability to walk proudly in the open today is something our ancestors would die many times over before it is lost to us once more. Can you really sit still as a new voice with the same designs seeks to put us back under heel with our sole purpose being monsters in their wars? I do not know the thoughts in your head so I ask you to speak them plainly, do you observe the cruelty of world to assure yourself that action is pointless or do you still have blood flowing in your heart? At the very least observer, do you not want to know what is coming so you can be listening for it? Because I can almost assure you, that without every hand if assistance I can draw, my efforts will likely fail and it will not be many years before the scent of your garden is overwhelmed with the blood and ashes of the innocent, and everything that we have built will crumble as we sit in the shadows drawing lots to see who starves here among the very neighbors and families you once led.”

Osu would sit there waiting for a just a few minutes if all that followed was silence before he would decide what to do next.
Kagetsu Yuii
Cloud Main Branch Sennin
Cloud Main Branch Sennin
Valentine's Event 2018

Sat May 19, 2018 4:38 pm

The bait was cast, but Kiyo was already gone. And so Osu was left with only a crackling fire and his own thoughts for company and perhaps the sense he had been dismissed.

A floor above, a fleeting, mirthful smirk danced across Kiyo's lips as she plucked a small, worn black book from a dusty top shelf and pressed it to her cheek.

<3
Osuteno
Cloud Med-Nin
Cloud Med-Nin
Donater

Fri May 25, 2018 5:58 am

The continued silence was… frustrating. It was obvious that this was the end for today. He had failed to meet any of his goals. There wasn’t really any more reason to keep sitting here. “We both know very well you can still hear me, so I will just say I will be back in a week. I bid you good health until our next encounter.” Osu gathered his tea kit and left, casting a displeased look at the house as he left and even stuck his tongue out towards the room he heard Kiyo’s heartbeat enter before exiting the gate.

And so a week passed. Rather than the afternoon, this time he came fairly early in the morning, half suspecting that the former Raikage would expect him to come at the same time and stay out of the house until he departed. The sun hadn’t risen yet though the sky was beginning to brighten and the snow fell steadily on the already deeply covered streets. Of course any cloud shinobi worth their salt could walk on top of the snow without sinking in, but it would be hugely inconvenient for most. The main roads had already been handled but side streets like this one that had mostly shinobi families were usually the last to get cleared. One more Osu carried his teapot and walked under a dark red ‘paper’ umbrella.

He walked casually through Kiyo’s gate once more and simply barged into the house with an, “Excuse my intrusion please.”

He would look around and listen for Kiyo while calling out, “I am here once more Kiyo-Sama. Have you thought on what I said?” If it seemed she was in the house, Osu would begin to put some tea on even if Kiyo wasn’t being cooperative.
Kagetsu Yuii
Cloud Main Branch Sennin
Cloud Main Branch Sennin
Valentine's Event 2018

Mon May 28, 2018 2:12 am

For one week Kiyo returned to her solitary routine, paying no mind to the hours that slipped away as she always had. There was too much to do in her quarter-acre palace to dwell on the strange visit of one little medic. Plants to care for. Books to read. Music to appreciate. In fact, she had forgotten the threat of return entirely until the telltale rattle of her front door and the all too familiar voice demanding to be excused jarred her from her studies. There wasn't enough time to make a dignified escape to the upper floor either, as her young trespasser made himself at home in the kitchen once again, forcing Kiyo to tolerate his presence once again.

It wouldn't be difficult for Osu to divine her whereabouts. The double doors to her office had been left wide open and a soft piano melody drifted from within. Kiyo was not the large desk set against the back wall, nor nestled in the faded reading chair surrounded by well-loved books. Instead, she sat cross-legged in the centre of the wood floor with back turned to the door, lost in thought.

"It may interest you to know that in my youth, one would knock then wait for permission to enter a stranger's home. Perhaps, since you are the one insisting upon seeking my aide, you might consider adopting my customs," she stated with a hint of mirth, not moving from meditation to greet her unwanted guest, "and I have given over as much time and respect to your words as you have mine, Chigokai. My answer has not changed."
Osuteno
Cloud Med-Nin
Cloud Med-Nin
Donater

Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:54 pm

“While it does embarrass me moderately Kiyo-Sama, there is a risk that you would use the time to escape if I knocked… But that is a shame to hear. I will have to redouble my efforts. It is nice to see you are in a rather good mood today though, did something pleasant happen?” Osu simply continued brewing and the scent of jasmine began drifting around.

It wasn’t long before tea was done and Osu set up a small spot between himself and the former Raikage as he sat across from her. He poured two cups, taking one for himself and drinking before continuing.

“I think it is probably for the best not to call me Chigokai. Not to force you to feel more familiar but rather the clan is rather torn on me using the name currently. I’m a bit of a black sheep you see. Please, call me Osuteno… or Oσθενο,” phonetically one could roughly see how the two names were related, and in meaning it was a rather grand pair. The first name if one examined the kanji would mean Heavenly King of Excellence, while the latter in Classical Kumogakuran means without or beyond weakness. Whoever named him obviously had great expectations, and possessed some knowledge in a rather rare language.

“Please tell me Kiyo-Sama, do you know what the current perceptions of chakra sensitives among the citizens of the country and the nobility are like?”
Kagetsu Yuii
Cloud Main Branch Sennin
Cloud Main Branch Sennin
Valentine's Event 2018

Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:04 am

The red-headed woman snorted once and stretched arms towards her ceiling, pulling the fabric of her knee-length tea leaf coloured Yukata with them. Her back cracked twice as her fingers fought to touch the dusty pendant light above. With an exhale, she plunged forward to press her forehead to the wooden floor, encouraging her muscles to lengthen. Music had a way of carrying her mind to times, places and peoples lost to her now, leaving her body to atrophy. It was hard to say how long it had been since she had last moved, or how long it would have been without Osu's interruption.

"I had Citrus meringues and honey milk with Kameko and Harinezumi," she offered as an explanation for her good temperament, head still pressed to floorboards, "It was a wonderful afternoon. We usually bicker and fight but Kameko is making Hari behave because I think she is feeling guilty that they're keeping their relationship a secret. I'm enjoying the peace too much to tell her I saw them together a week ago behind the training grounds when I'd forgotten my glasses. Tragically, they won't last. Nothing ever does."

With a final breath, she raised back to sitting then adjusted her clothing to ensure decency. This close, he might notice how strikingly similar the features of Kiyo's face were to her great niece. They shared the same nose, similarly shaped mouth and large, expressive eyes that betrayed Hashigaki heritage. But that was where the resemblance ended. Kiyo had a hard refinement that Yuii lacked and a calm demeanour to match. On the surface, they were as alike as a twisting river and deep, placid lake.

Which made the frown she gave the tea he put on her floor, in her office filled with her very rare books all the more acidic. "Aκόλαστος will suit better," she stated, contemplating her cup, "Now, spare me your didactic questions and get to what you're here to say. "

Return to “The Seki District”