Ninpocho Chronicles

Ninpocho Chronicles is a fantasy-ish setting storyline, set in an alternate universe World of Ninjas, where the Naruto and Boruto series take place. This means that none of the canon characters exists, or existed here.

Each ninja starts from the bottom and start their training as an Academy Student. From there they develop abilities akin to that of demigods as they grow in age and experience.

Along the way they gain new friends (or enemies), take on jobs and complete contracts and missions for their respective villages where their training and skill will be tested to their limits.

The sky is the limit as the blank page you see before you can be filled with countless of adventures with your character in the game.

This is Ninpocho Chronicles.

Current Ninpocho Chronicles Time:

Search for the Shogun's Ring: De-railed! -- [Maru Maru]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shiruba

Yen
ASP
Deaths
That bastard was able to get that Kaguya kid reassigned, it seemed Karachi has everyone under his control in this town. This guy might actually be of good use for someone who seems so skittish and weak. Shindou made it to Shimechi's shop and expected the outside to look nicer because he lived on the richer side of town. This Shimechi fellow didn't seem like a push over or a dunce so Shindou has to play it cool to locate what he wants. I didn't know you and Karachi work together usually merchants compete against each other but his low prices didn't catch my attention. Hearing how low his prices are kind of bothered me, so I didn't even attempt to talk to him about trades.

Shindou knew he had to get alone with this man but how? This sleaze probably would do anything for money include leave Shindou if he was given the tip of some sort. We should talk about this over some food and I know what I am craving. Kurado, I know this isn't usually requested upon you but can you do me a favor for a handsome tip. On the other side of town is a restaurant that sells delicious duck but I want it fresh. Shindou pulled out a large what of cash in front of Kurado. This much money was worth an S-rank mission pay and he might have never had this much money at once before. Can you asked for two whole ducks with a large platter of beef dumplings, I hear they are to die for. You will be tipped handsomely if you can do this for Shimechi and myself. Everyone has their price and what was Kurado's?

I hope you don't mind the food is delicious and its always good to talk business during a meal. Now, I am more interested in trading if you don't want to use yen. Shindou rubbed his beard wondering how Shimechi is taking all of this. I acquired all this raw material in a game of poker you see and I am not really a raw material type of merchant. I prefer jewelry but I know the worth of all that silk and I was hoping you had something that can match what I have.

MFT 382

Kaoru

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Kaoru had a dilema, she knew that she had to gain the children's trust, but she didn't want to steal either. What to do, What to do, Kaoru closed her eyes as she thought through multiple scenarios.

She looked back to the fruit on the stand. The vendor was not the most attentive. It would have been easy to steal it, but there were so many people on the street. All of a sudden an idea came to the small girl's mind. She got on her hands and knees and searched for any lost coins. In these kinds of cities the produce was usually cheaper than in the village, so some pocket change could get her the pineapple. But Kaoru's hopes were dashed when she could not scrounge up enough money. She looked around in desperation, seeing no other way Kaoru proceeded to steal. She felt awful about the deed she was about to commit, but it was for the sake of the mission. I hope that Takaki sama and Shindou san won't be angry with me. she thought as she walked around the stand assessing the situation.

The vendor was still helping out customers, completely not noticing the street urchins on the other side of the stand. Kaoru grabbed a pebble from the alleyway, and threw it to the other side of the stand. She threw it with enough force that it caused the man's stand to topple. In his distraction, Kaoru managed to grab the big pineapple and a few other fruits. She stealthily ran deep into the alleyway. The merchant never knew what hit him.

She looked up to the boy sitting next to her "Satisfied now" she said quietly as she held out the food.

I am so sorry for the delay, life has not been nice to me lately

Suzuki Setsu

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Jounouchi’s head slammed hard onto the desk. Forcibly brought into sobriety or at the very least a pseudo-sober state in which he could be successfully questioned. Fear for one’s life was a valid motivation to talk. But for Jounouchi, whose life was basically over anyway, death would be welcome. However, the talk of a deal, and the promise of a fresh start, was a lone hand extended to a man who was desperately trying to cling to whatever tattered remains of his life he could, and was on the edge of despair. So he reached for it.
char_11991_zpse732d3f4.jpg

Jounouchi -- Shopkeeper​

“It’s Karachi, he’s behind every bad thing that has happened to me in this town, ever,” there was a clear note of hysteria in his voice, and the slurring effects of the alcohol were still present, though the blow to head had helped to clear his mind a good deal, “he started showing up with the city guard, claiming that we had made transactions and I had not fulfilled them. I denied the accusations, but it was no use. He had documents recording these transactions, and when I checked my records I had copies as well. I have had no choice but to hand over goods for ridiculously low prices.” He slammed his hands on the desk, the alcohol impairing the feeling of the broken glass shards piercing his hands. “He forced me to load up my most valuable things and carry them to his warehouse. The salvage was the most recent thing I had to take over there. It’s the one in the back, the second floor, fourth door on the left. Everything is in there. I doubt Karachi even bothered to inspect the contents.”

“Anything else you can tell me?” Masao asked, blade steady as rock in front of Jounouchi’s forehead.

“Karachi’s greedy as hell, and prefers to steal rather than be stolen from. I’ve never seen how he guards ‘his’ merchandise.”

“Thank you for your time, you’ll find your materials tomorrow,” Masao said as he left. Perfect, I have the location of the ring and salvage. Now to meet up with Kaoru and Shindou.

Masao noticed the thugs that had been loitering around the area were missing, Masao reasoned that they had gone to report to Karachi. The mixed signals he had been given concerning his willingness to sell to Karachi and desire to find a higher buyer probably had the crime lord in hysterics. This was good, the less Karachi knew of their true purpose the better. He then swiftly moved to meet up with Kaoru and Shindou, though if he wanted he could stake out the warehouse before trying to meet up with his companions.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

Kuroda took off like a shot with the money, eager to please and eager to claim his rewards. This left Shimechi and Shindou alone together.
hackch05_zpsf0ca5455.jpg

Shimechi -- Shopkeeper​

“Ah, Kuroda. Always easy to see what he wants is it not?” He listened to Shindou’s hinting speech about how he came into the raw materials, and what his actual passions were. “Well, I can see you’re a risk taker. And if you want, I have a proposition for you, it is risky but well-worth it, I assure you.”

“Go on,” Shindou replied. He made an effort to seem aloof and impartial but letting a slight look of interest flit across his features, so as to entice the man into continuing.

“My colleague Karachi and I have been working together for several years now as legitimate business partners, but recently he acquired some salvage and other goods from our mutual acquaintance, Jounouchi-san. And he has, in one way or another, decided not to honor our agreement.” Shimechi spoke carefully, knowing that if he misspoke Shindou would have evidence of his participating in quasi-legal business practices, not that it wasn’t obvious enough already. “I am in need of an,” he paused, “arbiter of sorts, to act on my behalf and ensure that my end of our bargain is upheld.” Giving a knowing look at Shindou he continued, “You and your colleague appear to have had your fair share of ‘rough deals’ and I could offer you a great deal on your raw materials if you could assist me. I believe I could sate your appetite for jewelry quite easily.”

So Karachi cut him out of a deal, and Shimechi wants his portion, Shindou thought to himself. “Let’s say I was interested in being an ‘arbiter’ of sorts. How might I go about reclaiming your share of the goods?”

“I might be able to provide some help to you, if you were to accept this proposition. But this is a limited-time offer, the window of opportunity that I have is not very large at all.”

Just then Kuroda burst in the store, with the food Shindou requested in tow. “Ah I was just wondering where you were, Kuroda-san. Shimechi-san, let’s eat while I mull over your proposal.”

“An excellent suggestion, I was feeling a mite peckish myself. And one should never make decisions on an empty stomach.”

As they ate Shindou weighed the pros and cons of the choice before him, should he accept he would most definitely get some helpful information from the smooth-talking shopkeep, but then he would be expected to hold up his end of the bargain and deliver some of the salvage to Shimechi. If he refused, his situation remained the same, no additional information to go on, but he would not be beholden to Shimechi, nor owe him anything. What would he choose?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

Kaoru’s destructive distraction sent fruit flying everywhere, allowing her to grab several fruits, including the pineapple, and run for it, guilty conscience screaming silently in her mind. The other merchants had come over to help the poor fruit vendor clean up his mess, leaving their stalls unattended. Kuja let out a quick whistle, and other children showed up near the other vendor’s stalls and quietly pilfered a few food items too. Kuja was visibly in awe, though he quickly covered up his surprise and assisted in grabbing some of the food.
Kuja_zps140cb5e5.jpg

Kuja -- Street Rat​

Back in the alleyway, the various street urchins gluttonously tore into the spoils. Kuja eagerly digging into the pineapple that Kaoru had snatched. “You’re pretty strong, for a girl,” he said between mouthfuls of fruit, “Your dad teach you how to throw like that?”

As he listened to Kaoru’s response, another boy came up to Kuja saying, “Karachi wants us to report at the warehouse at dusk. Says he’ll place the city guard on high alert near the food vendors if we don’t show up.

“We’ll show, what’s the job this time?”

“He didn’t tell me,” the messenger boy slumped, visibly depressed that he didn’t know what was going on, “Those guys were g-going to hurt me if I stayed any longer.”

“Whatever, I’ll deal with it,” Kuja said dismissively. The messenger boy then went to join the other kids eating fruit and other stolen food.

Turning back to Kaoru he said, “We sometimes do things for Karachi so he leaves the rest of us alone. Sometimes he helps us get food in exchange for our services. I don’t know what he wants us to do tonight, but someone like you would be good to have helping out. You won’t have to worry about Karachi noticing you’re one of the merchants; he doesn’t really pay attention to us urchins. He just uses us when it’s convenient.”

Kaoru took a minute to consider the offer, it would be a great way to see what exactly Karachi forces these children to do and how it benefits him, but she wouldn’t be able to meet with Masao and Shindou beforehand. Would she take the risk and follow this potential lead or play it safe and rendezvous with her shinobi compatriots?
Edited 1 time for copying errors.

Takaki Saeko

Yen
ASP
Deaths
In an uncharacteristically-reminiscent-of-Joukuu-moment, Masao allowed his lips to curl back in a feral smile as Jounichi finally confirmed the exact location of the ring. That was the piece of information he had maintained this ruse for so long to obtain. Even better, it seemed that Karachi definitely did not know the true nature of what he possessed. Thoughts whirled through the Vice Commander’s head, weighing options for how to proceed, as he stared at the bloody mess of smeared handprints now adorning the countertop.

We could simply buy the ring from Karachi up front as a bulk purchase of salvage in exchange for the Kichida merchandise, and doing so would also allow us to take some potentially hazardous materials out of criminal hands. Rin definitely doesn’t want lowlifes spearing each other with refined uranium fuel rods…

Then again, I just made an offer to this pathetic sack of guts, and from what I hear about Karachi, the less I like him in control. It’s obvious that he’s behind the economic ruin of this town, which detracts from national security by fostering corruption and terrorism. Shitholes like this provide recruits to the Kingslayers and their ilk.

Very well – Kizoku and I are more than enough to slip past or neutralize any guard. Even if they’ve hired an A-class nukenin we’ll still prevail. I’ll have to trust in Kaoru to give us the specifics and watch our backs.

“Thank you for your time, you’ll find your materials tomorrow,” he said, walking around the counter and picking up his hat. Carefully, he set it back on his head before walking out of the store.

Sometime later, nearing 2100 hours​
<i>
</i>

Through a little bit of subterfuge and a lot of active camouflage, Masao had snuck into the holding depot for the carts and accessed the “hidden” supplies behind the Kichida seal, bringing some of them back to the hostel room. The deadly array of weaponry lay before him, arranged on the two beds in front of him. Three ANBU cuirasses, one of which was clearly Kaoru’s (would her bust even fill in her plate carrier?), ST-15 assault bolters with all manner of attached doo-dads and way too many magazines brimming with armor-piercing goodness, Gateru Delta Elite handbolters with integral suppressors, micro-chakra grenades, flashbangs, combat knives, and seemingly for giggles, a tube of weaponized anthrax straight out of Isaki Kushin’s stores.

Ideally, they would hit the warehouse in stealth and would never need to fire their weapons at all. But if it came down to it, they would destroy everything in their path. A part of him wished deep down that Karachi would show up waving a stupidly large revolver-bolter in their faces just so he would have clearance to plant two 5.56 millimeter quarrels in the man’s brainpan, but then again, it wasn’t part of the mission.

Hopefully, the others would show up soon. Kaguya was nowhere to be seen - Masao hoped that the boy hadn't met an early demise.

Kaoru

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Kaoru still felt incredibly guilty about the steling, but she felt it was for the good of the mission. Kuja began to praise her, thus making the young shinobi thinking that she had gained the boy's trust. She was leaning against the wall when a younger boy came running up to Kuja. He was saying something about Karachi, this caught Kaoru's attention right away. She sat up as Kuja shouted at the messenger. Then Kuja invited her to come along.

Kaoru realized that this would be a great opportunity, but could she risk it? She had no gear except for a shuriken she kept hidden under her skirt. She closed her eyes as she thought on the matter. What would be better? To stay with Kuja and be led straight to Karachi or go back to the hostel and gather her gear. What a dilemma.

It was then that Kaoru realized something. The messenger said to meet Karachi at dusk, but it was late morning, noon at the latest. She could go to the hostel, quickly grab her gear if Takaki sama or Shindou san were there she could tell them about the news and head back. The plan sounded perfect and it could work if she ran. She looked up to the awaiting Kuja.

"Yeah I'll go, sounds fun" she said with a smirk. The girl was obviously acting and she hoped that the boy would not notice. "We have to meet there at dusk, right? I left without telling my father, so I'm going to come back. I can meet you if you want, anywhere, you name it. " Kaoru thought that her excuse was credible. She held out her hand to the boy "Do we have a deal?"

After the boy complied and gave a meeting place, Kaoru sprinted back to the hostel. She immediately went to the stored wagon and opened the secret compartment everyone's gear was still inside. She grabed a few packets of shuriken and kunai, small enough to hide under her tattered skirt. She then went up to the hostel room. It was empty. She put on the basic body armor she had used in the academy since it was much thinner and easier to cover up than the plated one from the ANBU. She awaited for either of her companions to arrive until the very last second.

She left at sunset to meet Kuja

(OOC: I might post again depending on Shindou's post)

Takaki Saeko

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Quick post to account for Kaoru making it to the room before me, lol. Also, Kaoru, make sure you train every week - you can use your post just now to do so!

With a start, he realized that he wasn't alone in the room - little Kaoru had been there all along, probably watching him unpack. A chill ran down his spine as he realized that she could have been an assassin or worse. Was he really getting this out of touch? Perhaps it was better that Hayata Shin had seen fit to assign him to a more administrative role for the future. War was a game for the young - that much was being demonstrated more and more every day.

"I didn't notice you when I came in. Good job on your part, and bad on mine," he said, sighing as he stripped down to his undershirt and strapped his cuirass to his torso. Making sure the buckles were secure and the armor plating was snug against his chest, he sat on the bed, inspecting one of the ST-15 bolters. He drew the charging handle back, peering into the chamber and squinting at the action to make sure there were no obstructions or fouling that could mar the operation of the surprisingly delicate internals. Satisfied that the weapon was working properly, he looked back up at Kaoru.

"I don't expect there to be a lot of violence in the next few hours, but the time will eventually come when you have to kill another human being. It may happen tonight, it may happen a year from now, but it will happen. No one gets to keep their hands clean in our line of work, and often we don't get to pick and choose who we deprive of life. Not all of our enemies will be trained enemy soldiers willing to kill and be killed. You may have to pull the trigger on an elderly person, an unarmed civilian, even a child. Just do it quickly and move on - that's my advice. Now, where's Kizoku..."

Shiruba

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Shimechi was a sneaky fellow and now Shindou has discovered that he can get Shindou and Masao into Karachi's merchandise. This was a good deal that Shindou is not planning to hold true to. Once, they get us in there Shindou would take out any of Shimechi's allies. Shindou took a bite of his duck breast then turned to Shimechi, You got yourself a deal, Shimechi-san. I won't need any of your soldiers just the best way in and out without being seen. Shindou remember the cargo they brought in that wasn't suppose to be seen, if any of Shimechi's friends realized who they were things can get a but awry.

After Shindou got the information from Shimechi he will head back to the meeting place at the appropriate time. Shindou walked in seeing Masao cleaning his blotters and other tools were around. Shindou was old schooled and never laid a hand on one of them before, the thing was he didn't even use kunai or shrunken. He aways found a way to work around it and that is what he likes; the less weapons carried the less chance your cover will be blown.

I got good news. This Karachi fellow also screwed over Shimechi and I made this deal with him. That if I helped him return his merchandise he will give us a good trade for jewelry. Of course, we don't want that he told me a way to get into Karachi's place.

OOC: The last part is if I am told how to get in

Suzuki Setsu

Yen
ASP
Deaths
hackch05_zpsf0ca5455.jpg

Shimechi Sakaki -- Shopkeeper​

Shimechi smiled at Shindou’s response, “Well then this contains the specifics of our little deal,” he handed an envelope to Shindou, “Take this and share it with your companion, I’m sure he would also love to see the great bargain you made here today.”

With that Shimechi bowed Shindou out of his shop, Kuroda moved to follow, but Shimechi intercepted him saying, “A word, Kuroda-san…,” while giving Shindou a look that clearly said Leave now.

Kaoru felt a small glimmer of pride at the compliment from her vastly more experienced senpai, but she hurried to push that feeling away, they had not yet accomplished the mission. She informed Masao of what she heard from the kids, about the boy named Kuja, the task Karachi ordered the urchins to do, and about her plan to join them to see what was up.

“Kaoru,” Masao said seriously, yet kindly, “if you feel that this course of action is the right one, I won’t stop you,” Although, it’s extremely risky. Should I be letting a fresh recruit go into deep cover so soon? But Raiden above, she’s a ballsy one. ANBU has a bright future if all the trainees are like this one. Never should have doubted Rin on her decisions. “Think everything through very carefully. Going undercover is very dangerous, every decision you make, even the tiniest details, can lead to failure or success.”

Just then Shindou entered the room where the others where located. He found Masao and Kaoru within its walls, “I have something you all might like to see,” he said brandishing the envelope. The three looked at the contents; in it was a detailed layout of the warehouse. Diagrams indicated the easiest way inside, and the routes of all the guards outside the building were clearly displayed. A note for the inside guard revealed that Karachi was using children to guard the inside of the warehouse. Shindou realized that Shimechi had no hired goons because they could link him to a theft, this way if things went awry for the team Shimechi could feign innocence. Sneaky bastard, but that means no one will get in our way, Shindou thought. At least he could take solace in the fact that he was not going to uphold his end of the deal, leaving the con-man out in the lurch.

Kaoru now understood why Karachi had asked the urchins to meet at the warehouse, some were young enough to persuade through fear that they had no other options, and the ones that were older knew that this might be there only chance at securing food for the next day. “He’s using the children as guards. That’s why he was calling them to the warehouse.”

Shindou looked puzzled for a moment before he was completely filled in as well. “This is good, a risky operation Kaoru, but this could make our job easier,” he said while Masao breathed an inward sigh of relief.

Good, Shindou can keep an eye her within the building. I’m getting soft now, aren’t I? he thought to himself.

“Alright,” Masao stated, “Kaoru you’ll meet with Kuja as planned, and take up position within the warehouse. Shindou and I will enter the building in stealth and work our way to you.”

“We’ll take out any threats that might interfere with the recovery of the ring,” Shindou added, “And I’ll keep an eye on you as well, two eyes, as often as I can spare them.” He gave an encouraging smile to the young girl.

“I’ll try to convince Kuja to help us, and in the event he becomes a threat I’ll,” here she paused for a moment, “neutralize him.”

Masao and Shindou were left alone for a bit as Kaoru left first for the rendezvous with Kuja. Both left with their worries about Kaoru and her plan. It was good, brilliant even, but after working so hard to earn the boy’s trust, would she be able to turn around and betray it if the need should arise? The pair of veteran shinobi had to put that thought aside as the final part of the mission was about to unfold.

Both were clad in their ANBU gear, active camouflage engaged as they approached the warehouse. As Shimechi’s information had detailed, guards were right where they should be. This allowed the pair to quickly and quietly move past them and into the warehouse. Here is where it would get a little more difficult. Children were not as predictable as adults, and unpredictability was dangerous.

Shindou’s Hyuuga eyes found Kaoru and the boy he had seen placing the forged documents inside the files in the secretary’s office. So that’s Kuja, he thought to himself. His eyes then scanned the remainder of the building around him. He identified five groups of children, two to three in each group, wandering around the premises. He signaled this to Masao silently, who nodded his understanding. The pair would have to find ways to lure the groups out of their path as they made their way to Kaoru.

Kuja_zps140cb5e5.jpg

Kuja -- Street Rat​

Kaoru ran as hard as she could to get to the meeting place on time. Sunset had just passed, and she was worried that she might have missed him. She rounded the corner at full-speed and collided into Kuja. They both landed on the ground, Kuja landing on top of Kaoru. “Taku-san?” he asked confusedly. His eyes struggling to focus onto her features, he moved to push himself up. “It is you, Taku-san! I’m sorry, let me help you up,” he said as he extended a hand in her general direction. Kaoru took it, and with a slightly quizzical expression stood up.

“Sorry, I’m late,” she said, “my father didn’t want me going out this late, but I snuck out when they went to bed.”

“It’s alright,” Kuja seemed to breathe a sigh of relief at Kaoru’s presence, “come on we need to hurry.” With that he grabbed Kaoru’s hand and began to pull her through the alleyways at a rapid pace. They soon arrived at the warehouse, where a decently sized group of the urchins had gathered. Karachi was there as well.
Karachi_zps07920f4a.jpg

Karachi -- Crimelord​

“Kuja. You’re late,” his eyes drifted over to Kaoru, whose hand was still being held by Kuja. He smiled cruelly, “Got yourself a young lover, eh boy?”

Kuja turned red as he quickly let go of Kaoru’s hand, “No, she’s just another recruit. She has some skill in a fight. She would be a big help to us, and I’ll be watching her myself. She won’t betray us.”

“Good. She better not, you know how I deal with traitors, Kuja. And I’d hate to see your lady-friend here suffer the same fate as…well I’ll save that tidbit for later. Just do the job properly, and you needn’t worry about it. Kuroda!” he called loudly.

“Yes sir.”

“You said Shimechi worked a deal with those newcomers?”

“Yes sir.”

“Come with me then, I need to have a word with my colleague.” Karachi left, flanked by two powerful-looking bodyguards, nowhere near as powerful as Masao and Shindou looked, Kaoru noted, but probably out of her league at the moment.

The children filed into the warehouse where Kuja divided them into five groups. “No heroics. We are just to raise an alarm if you see anyone suspicious. Especially you, Yu.” A silent child in the third group looked at Kuja and nodded. He was joined by a boy with broken headphones around his neck and a spirited looking girl with a boy’s haircut and a tattered green jacket.

“Taku-san and I will be in front of the door, the rest of you patrol the area down here. Shout as loud as you can if you see someone.”

“Kuja just wants some alone time with the merchant girl.”

“Oooh! Maybe they’ll kiss!!”

“Shut up! She’s just a good figher is all! It makes sense for the two best fighters to team up to guard the door…” Kuja continued raising his fists, causing the children to scatter, chittering with laughter. Face bright red, he said without turning to look at Kaoru, “Come on, our post is on the second floor.”

When they got there, Kuja had calmed down somewhat though his complexion was still a bit flustered. “Don’t pay attention to them; they’re good kids, if just unlucky.” A long pause ensued, “Thanks for coming, I feel a lot more confident about this job now. Karachi must be really worried about whatever’s behind this door. And I’m worried that this job might be more than I could handle alone.” A genuine blush had crept over his face as he spoke. Kaoru had a job to do, how would she go about it?
Masao and Shindou: Kaoru is alone on the second floor of the warehouse with Kuja. They are in front of the room with the salvage. There are five groups of kids wandering about the first floor. You both need to avoid/neutralize all of them before proceeding to the second floor. There are unlocked doors, gravel on the ground, spare ropes, and other things you might find around a warehouse that you may utilize.

Kaoru: You do not know that Masao or Shindou have entered the building. You need to neutralize the potential threat Kuja presents before they get to the second floor. How you do this is up to you. ;)

The end is nigh! How will our terrific trio fare this night of stealth and suspense!

Takaki Saeko

Yen
ASP
Deaths
“The target’s on the second floor, fourth door on the left,” whispered Masao, squeezing the ends of the throat mic to ensure good sound transmission to Shindou’s earpiece as he crouched behind a pallet of boxed wine intended for the Capital. They were both under active camouflage, but like any other camouflage, it was not the panacea everyone assumed it was. The effect of the jutsu still subtly distorted light and would allow a very perceptive enemy to deduce one’s presence if a shinobi did not take advantage of cover and shadow. He peeked his head over the top of his concealment, making note of one of the groups of small children assigned to guard the place. It was a brilliant, if twisted move on Karachi’s part. Children were small, curious, and did not lie easily. Their only disadvantage was that they were of course meaningless in a fight, unless one strapped remote-controlled suicide explosive vests to them.

Fortunately, none of the children appeared to have been forced to wear a “Jashinist Fashion Statement” (as it was grimly joked about in the Sileo), so that made everyone’s life easier and potentially longer. Masao considered his options carefully. Kaoru he wasn’t worried too much about – she had already proven that she was decisive and if need be, deadly, although he hoped for her sake that her first human kill would not have to be a child her age. Shindou and he, if needed could easily go through the place and slaughter the kids without a second thought, but that would only contribute more to the destabilization of Maru Maru, even potentially consolidating Karachi’s powerbase as a result. Sneaking past them would actually be more challenging than if they were bored, jaded adults, and the techniques that he would employ for incapacitating an adult were probably lethal if used against a child. So that left the two ANBU with the option of distracting and misleading them instead.

“We need to do this as a zero-casualty operation if we can. Split up from me and employ noisemakers and illusion tactics. Funnel them into the center so they think everyone else is the cause of the disturbances. Rendezvous at the stairwell and we’ll intercept Kaoru and the other child. We are Oscar Mike,” he whispered, nodding to Shindou as he glided over to another pallet and started to make his way forward to the stairwell.

He hugged the walls and rolled in between the numerous pallets littered all over the place. Periodically, when nearby a group of patrolling junior sentries, he stopped to toss a nearby small object against the floor or ring a small bell before quickly moving onto the next bit of cover. The plan seemed to work, as the kids were now pulled to these locations, only to find a whole lot of nothing. If for some reason he was in danger of getting caught, he would always be able to actively transform into an object until the danger went away. Hopefully, Shindou was having the same success.

Along the way, he noticed that several of the containers he passed were actually large barrels of fuel oil, ironically stacked next to some very flammable paper goods. Another reason to use children instead of adults – inevitably, some idiot would try to light up a cigarette in here and set the whole place ablaze. He filed that in his memory for use later, before sneaking up the stairwell.

Assuming Shindou had made it to their position, now all that was left to do was deal with Kaoru’s companion, if the girl hadn’t already done so. Slowly, and with his bolter at low-ready with the safety disengaged, he climbed the stairs and made his way toward the door.

Kaoru

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Kaoru's heart was pounding as she waited in front of the door with Kuja kun. He seemed to take a liking to the girl and this made her nervous. She never had a boy like her, nor did she ever hang out with them so suddenly being alone with one did not calm her.

She looked over to the boy next to her, his face had a light blush. "H - Hey Kuja kun" she started quietly "What do you want to talk about?" Kaoru didn't want to hurt her companion he seemed so nice. She felt that if they had met in different circumstances they could be close. But this was a mission and Kaoru could not let her emotions get ahead of her. The boy looked at her for a moment and remained quiet. His face only became a brighter red.

She took a step toward the boy. She had to get rid of him somehow, maybe she can have him flee or simply knock him out. The first plan seemed impossible so she went with plan two. She took another step. The boy looked again, he turned to Kaoru surprised to see her closer. Without even thinking she embraced him. Both of their faces became beet red, Kaoru never did anything like this, but it just seemed natural in the situation.

" T - Taku san! What are you doing !?!" he was flustered but did not attempt to push off the young shinobi. Instead he loosely put his arms around her.

"I'm sorry" Kaoru's apology was no more than a whisper. Before the boy could react she whacked him in the back of his head, knocking him out instantly. The young boy slumped in her arms, he had some tears in his eyes and a smile. This sight made Kaoru slightly regret her action, but it had to be done. There was nothing she could do.

She dragged the unconscious Kuja to a spot away from the door, she took a tarp from a nearby crate and laid him out on it. Kaoru hoped that she had not injured the boy too badly. She knew that his trust in her was probably forever broken. She walked back to the door and stood her assigned post, if Karachi or one of his goons came, she would just tell them that Kuja wasn't feeling well or had a fever.

And there she waited for Shindou san or Takaki sama to arrive, Kaoru didn't even know if they had entered the building or ran into trouble. She was almost worried for the children they were all so sickly they couldn't possibly put up much of a fight. Such a sad life she thought as she glanced back at the sleeping Kuja.

She grabbed a wooden pole from a nearby box and began to swing it around to distract herself from her worries.

Shiruba

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Shindou has been keeping a keen eye on Kaoru, she has been doing her job well so far but when it gets down to it could she kill or take out her beloved friend. The mission grew complicated since the use of children were at play and the killing of children would seem excessive or cruel. Shindou heard Masao's announcement over his headset even though he was just a few feet away from him. They must talk through the head set to minimize the chance of being heard by extra cautious children. If Shindou had to take out the children he would, it wasn't the first time he was told to annihilate a bunch of people before. When Shindou was younger he was on a mission to destroy a Uchiha clan that raped, maimed, and inbreeded with other Uchihas. The only survivors were children under the age of 4, this was to minimize the chance of any child to remember who took part in the annihilation of their clan. Shindou along with his brother Usui took part of this mission, but it was Shindou killed most of the children over the age of four. He was just about 19 or 20 when this happened and he thought nothing of it; an annihilation of a clan was going within an hour and all he thought of was how fun it was. The sad thing was he never truly changed, he still could do it again without hesitation, he even could have let those men have their way with those girls if he was ordered to.

Shindou followed Masao's lead on dipping, dodging, ducking, and more dodging while at the same time ringing bells and making a small amount of noise. Masao's plan was smart, quick, effective and it kept everyone alive. Understood, and I am right behind you. He was following Shindou up the stairs of course without a bolter because ranged weapons wasn't his fortei. If a kid came to close for comfort Shindou would hit him in his pressure point and knock him out immediately unless Masao got to him first. Our little Princess is growing up, she just koed that Kuja kid but I don't think she is taking it well. Over He said over his head sets.

353 word MFT

Takaki Saeko

Yen
ASP
Deaths
“Trainee, we’re approaching your position now,” said Masao, announcing his presence to avoid a mistaken shuriken or kunai to the face, and lower his bolter. As he came up upon Kaoru’s position, he now saw that which Shindou had seen earlier – a boy, probably around her age, laid across a tarp on top of a nearby crate. Gingerly, Masao placed two fingers across the boy’s neck, verifying a pulse and breath. He was alive. Kaoru herself seemed preoccupied, trying to distract herself with some improvised swordplay. From the way she acted, this was probably no random companion.

“You did what you had to for the mission,” he said to her, trying his best to be reassuring. “Kizoku, watch her for a minute. I’ll retrieve the ring,” he said, kneeling and getting out a set of picks. Within a minute, the locking mechanism had been defeated, and he carefully pushed the door open, leading the way with his bolter. Fortunately, the place was uninhabited, save for a few tables upon which rested what looked to be disassembled electronic parts, probably in the middle of being harvested for the precious metals that made up the more sensitive components of a nuclear reactor. Propped upon a nearby felt cushion, however, was the target: a large, thick, golden ring engraved with the swirling patterns of dragon scales and bearing the deep, unmistakable mon of the Lightning Country bakufuu as its centerpiece. This was the real deal. He picked up the ring, and attached it to the chain around which his ANBU tags were worn.

“Target secured,” he said to Shindou and Kaoru as he re-entered the hallway. “We can leave the contents of the cart for Jounichi. I did make the poor sod a deal. Still, one last thing we should probably do before we leave. The local Kingpin, Karachi – he’s making this place into a restive shithole that will only provide more recruits for the Kingslayers and other terrorists. If we burn this place down, he’s as good as finished. I propose we evacuate the kids and detonate the fuel drums downstairs. It might also make your friend there remember you in a cheerier light,” he said, nodding to Kaoru. “But of course, that’s up to you, trainee. As I said before, you’re the one who directs us.”

MFT

Kaoru

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Several moments passed as Kaoru continued to swing around the pole when she suddenly heard Shindou san come in and Takaki sama's voice. He walked in with a bolter in his hands. A pit formed in her stomach. I hope they didn't have to use that on any of the children she thought as she lowered the pole.

Takaki sama went and checked on Kuja kun and turned to Kaoru saying that she did it for the mission and ordered Shindou san to watch the young shinobi. Takaki sama soon picked the lock and retrieved the ring. Kaoru managed a glimpse at it as it hanged from his chain, it was a grand gold ring, certainly fit for royalty. After Takaki sama exited the room he asked Kaoru on her orders on what to do next.

The young girl did agree within her mind that Karachi was causing the city no good and if they evacuated the children their lives would be spared, but then what? What would happen to the children? They had only known life on the streets and what about the other civilians in the city. Kaoru thought that they should either contain the destruction or evacuate as many innocent civilians as possible. Of course the girl realized that this was incredibly idealistic. She closed her eyes as she thought through as many solutions as possible.

She looked up to her comrades then to the unconscious boy on the crate. She let out a sigh "I agree w"ith you" she paused for a moment "We should destroy the warehouse and stop Karachi, but can I make a request?" She took in a deep breath "I have become close with these children" she glanced at Kuja kun "and I don't want them to end up on the streets again. Most of them are orphans like me. So if its not too much trouble, I would like all the children who evacuate to come back to the village with us and stay in the orphanage. It truly is a friendly place and not like the hell most people make them out to be. They may even be adopted and have a family. I don't know if I'm being idealistic, but I truly believe that it is the best choice." Kaoru let out another sigh, she knew that the adults in the village could escape on their own and that most of them were probably affiliated with Karachi anyways. She looked up to her superiors with hopeful eyes.

Shiruba

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Shindou and Masao caught up to Kaoru, the boy was unconscious but alive. He was able to see the boys lung inhale and exhale. Masao picked the lock and retrieved the ring, that means the mission is now complete. Takaki Masao would like to destroy the warehouse and Kaoru wants to take the children back to Cloud. She is just a little girl and this job is to emotional for her. Simply, no., Shindou said firmly and looked straight into her eyes. Taking children from this village could easily cause a panic, some people may think they are being kidnapped by Cloud shinobi and the kids grew up hating shinobi from the begin with. To suddenly be betrayed by a shinobi girl you trusted for so long and then she burnt down the one job they had that helped them acquire food and safety.

I barely agree with Masao, the warehouse might need to be destroyed but the kids must stay. We don't know what kids are truly orphans or not. Some may have joined this group because their family is poor and they are all they have left. Even though the kids don't have food but they may still have family and we can't take them away. I barely agree with destroying the warehouse because it won't stop Karachi. He will some how sweet talk Shimechi over and start this whole corrupt business over again. Jounichi will get all that silk but Karachi will hire new kids to swap files once again and steal his merchandise. Its a sad fate for these children, if we are going to stop this corruption and truly help these kids. Karachi and Shimechi must be taken cared of for once and for all but we don't have the authority to do that.

Shindou was realistic and knew what needed to be done. The old vets face was stern and did not break while looking at Kaoru's puppy eyes. Masao must understand that he was right.

Takaki Saeko

Yen
ASP
Deaths
She had impressed him during this mission with her mental agility and necessary ruthlessness – so much that he had temporarily forgotten that she was still a little girl. Shindou’s words rang true, callous as they might have sounded to her. Masao was glad he had taken them both along this time. Bending on one knee in front of Kaoru, he took off his mask, hanging it from a hook on his belt.

“I’m sorry Kaoru, but Agent Kizoku is right. You can’t know for sure that these kids are truly alone in the world. They might have close friends or even other family here who watch them, and even as hard as their lives are, we don’t have the right to determine like Gods what makes them happy or not,” he said, placing a hand on her shoulder.

“Tell you what – If we leave the warehouse untouched, I don’t think Karachi will hurt the other children, even if he finds out that the ring is gone – he doesn’t know what it is, anyway. But this boy here is definitely in danger regardless of what we do, because Karachi will assume he stole it. So we’ll take him back to Kumo. You’ll be able to explain everything that happened to him there. He may not forgive you, but at least we’ll give him the chance to decide for himself.

Agent Kizoku, I’ll carry the boy, you take point. We’re exiting via the rooftop and taking the overland route back to Kumo. Five klicks to the northwest there’s a horse depot with some steeds reserved for Kumonin, as we’ll go there first, and then back to where we belong. Trainee Kaoru, fall in line,” he said, as they all headed toward the roof exit of the warehouse. And if anyone should beg the question of “why didn’t they just use the rooftop entrance to get into the place?” the answer is “because of reasons.”
Tama has notified me via PM that he will not have net access for the next few days, so he’s given me permission to end the mission here. Each of you make a leaving post after this, and I’ll start a village re-entry post for everyone! Good job you guys. Kaoru, make sure you train with the post you just made, okay?

[Topic Left]

Shiruba

Yen
ASP
Deaths
It was a simple game of good cop, bad cop. Shindou was stern with his words and Masao was soft and kind. This represents the world of shinobi in a way, life is short and rough but you will witness the beauty and subtle effects your actions have on the world. Shindou gave a nod to Masao about taking the boy, he was the leader of the group so it is possible he might be killed because of their actions. The old vet through him on his shoulder and were ready to go. Kaoru will soon learn how to leave emotions out of the picture or else it could get her in trouble in some way.

Shindou followed Masao out to the rooftop and quickly realized how they were all idiots of not thinking of using this way in.

topic left

Kaoru

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Kaoru felt a lump in her stomach as Shindou san completely shattered her hopes. Although it was probably better this way. Takaki sama was right to, they couldn't decide what made them happy. The young girl put on a reassuring smile "Yes sir I understand" she said as she put the pole she had been swinging around back into its crate.

Kaoru was ready to leave that awful place, she was relieved when she heard that they weren't going to blow the place up with the children inside, but Kaoru was more excited by the decision that they were going to at least take Kuja kun. The boy had squirmed his way into the kind girl's heart. Takaki sama took the unconscious boy and threw him over his shoulder, ordering Kaoru to follow as he and Shindou san jumped out of the roof. Kaoru followed orders and was soon jumping out of the roof alongside her two seniors and the unconscious street urchin.

[Topic Left]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Current Ninpocho Chronicles Time:

Back