Ninpocho Chronicles

Ninpocho Chronicles is a fantasy-ish setting storyline, set in an alternate universe World of Ninjas, where the Naruto and Boruto series take place. This means that none of the canon characters exists, or existed here.

Each ninja starts from the bottom and start their training as an Academy Student. From there they develop abilities akin to that of demigods as they grow in age and experience.

Along the way they gain new friends (or enemies), take on jobs and complete contracts and missions for their respective villages where their training and skill will be tested to their limits.

The sky is the limit as the blank page you see before you can be filled with countless of adventures with your character in the game.

This is Ninpocho Chronicles.

Current Ninpocho Chronicles Time:

A Midwinter Nights Dream {Event/Private RP}

Yen
ASP
Deaths
How many times had Jo fixed his hair, readjusted his kimono, checked himself for any visible or aromatic flaw? At least once more. His black kimono was clean and pressed, his chocolate-colored hair combed neatly back, his face clean shaven and washed. He sniffed under his arms one more time to make sure the deodorant was working (it was). The finishing touch, his favorite cologne; a spiced, earthy scent that reminded Jo of a campfire on a warm summers eve. He’d placed a small dab behind each ear, on each of his wrists, and below the belt. What? Adolescent men have a particular scent about them, especially when they get nervous. Besides, no one was going to be down there to smell it; and if Saeko was down there, he was going to be a little too busy to care. All in all, the result wasn’t too shabby (if he did say so himself). He always looked good when he dressed up. At least he was always told he did. He wasn’t so full of himself as to give himself any undo praise.

Jo took a deep breath and sighed; there was nothing more he could do. He walked over to the closet and pulled out his favorite fur-lined cloak. A heavy garment made from the entire pelt of a black bear, perfectly suited to protect against the frigid Kumo winters. He threw the cloak around his shoulders and clasped it at his throat with a silver Kumo clasp. He reached into his left sleeve, pulled out his favorite pocket watch and checked the time; 5:09pm. The taxi would arrive any minute to take him to the Takaki household. The steam-powered car was the fastest, warmest way to travel in Kumo once the snows began to fall. He had considered getting a horse-drawn sleigh, but decided against it. Saeko had spent so much time in the land of the horse lords, he was sure she would prefer to remain removed from their company for a while. The sound of a steam whistle broke him from his reverie. He snapped the watch closed, slipped it back up his sleeve, and headed towards the door; grabbing the bouquet of a dozen white roses from a side table as he went.

The fierce winds of Lightning Country were silent this evening; the snow falling like small, silent crystals through the night sky. Jo locked the door behind him before descending the stairs of his front stoop to the car that waited below:
tumblr_m3b9p4fH6P1rs9cj9o4_1280.jpg
”Good evening, sir.” The driver said, opening the rear door of the cab with a bow. Jo returned the greeting as he climbed in, the door snapping closed behind him. Once the driver returned to his seat on the other side of the partition, he called back to the genin in the back seat. ”Where to, sir?”

A pause, and then; ”To the Takaki household.” ’And my destiny… or death; depending on what mood Masao-sama is in.’

{MFT: 497}

Takaki Saeko

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Tasogare_Otome_Av_zpsf1f3fe12.jpg

cloud_chuunin.gif
“Oniiiii-chaaaaaan…” lilted Takaki Saeko playfully to her brother, Enjeru, as she spun around in front of him in her red and gold brocade kimono. “How do I look?”
SnK_Levi_zpse332e481.jpg

cloud_medic_zps76bbfb4d.gif
“Uh, I guess it…becomes you or something?” sighed Enjeru, rolling his eyes as he laid back on one of the couches in his sister’s room. He had made sure to spray it down thoroughly with disinfectant, and to sit on it extremely slowly in order to avoid throwing nasty micropollutants like dust mite eggs and PM2.5 in the air, where they could enter his lungs and kill him more surely than any S-rank danger beast out there with their claws and teeth and shit.

“What, just that? What does that even mean?” Saeko frowned .

“What do you want me to say? It becomes you, but if I were on you I’d be coming too?” asked Enjeru, shrugging in exasperation.

“Darling brother, why didn’t you tell me you wanted to stick it in your imouto?” asked Saeko, gasping as she plopped on his lap, prompting a gasp of surprise and pain from Enjeru. “I’m so glad you confessed like that! Let’s get married immediately! I’ll tell Daddy!”

“Godrotting dammit, get the hell off me…” growled Enjeru, fighting to push her off as well as avoid sinking further into the germy hell that was modern upholstery. “…friggin’ germy brat!”

“Hey onii-chan, earlier today, I totally farted into that couch. Just thought you should know,” she whispered in his ear, prompting a shudder from him.

“Fine! Fine! Jesus Saito, what do you want?!” he whined as she finally stood and allowed him to catch a breath of air.

“Actual critique, Enjy. Do I look good? As in, do I look like a woman you’d want to date, and not like a…a trained killer raised in a prison-factory?” she asked, sighing.

“I’m your brother, Saeko, possibly the worst person to ask that…” chuckled Enjeru. “On the other hand…well, I’ve seen a lot of girls wearing shit in their hair and I guess it’s kind of pretty…”

Shit in their hair. You have such a way with words,” giggled Saeko. “Okay, what kind of shit do you want me to wear?”

“Hmm…well, you know in that one series ‘I Have No Friends’ the Best Girl wears this butterfly thing on her head…” said Enjeru, stroking his chin thoughtfully while revealing his preference for 2D women (they didn’t have pathogens, usually).

“That won’t work for me. I look more like Yozora than Sena,” replied Saeko, accidentally spilling her own powerlevel as well. “But hey, do you think maybe… Ooh, how about Yukiko from ‘Personal 4?!’ I even have a red headband!”

“Bingo!” exclaimed Enjeru, rising from his seat excitedly…before of course realizing what he was doing and then grumpily crossing his arms. “I mean, I guess that’ll be adequate, since it’s hard to find good hair accessories for girls with Hime-cuts…”

“Thank you, Enjeru-kun,” she said, smiling genuinely.

“Whatever,” he sniffed. “Can I go now?”

The particular cleaning solvent staining his hands had a particular odor to it that could never be quite replicated by other brands - a vaguely banana-and-benzene scent that was both masculine and feminine, overwhelming and yet comforting. Whenever Takaki Masao cleaned his weapons, he used it exclusively, even though most other shinobi preferred its competition, ‘KLP Break-Fast’, and mainly because the smell always brought back memories of her.

It was either romantic or horrific that Santaru Rin’s essence was so easily distilled to the smell of ‘Hope #9” solvent, but it was a product of them sharing over a decade together in the ANBU. It was simply the way things were.

He absentmindedly peered at one of the patches he had just pushed down the barrel of the Gateru Single Action Army pistol-bolter he was cleaning. It was one of the older weapons in his collection, and one of the few that had been built before the widespread advent of integrated gas systems that automatically cocked the prods back on most bolters and fed the next round into the chamber from a magazine. Rather, this model required the user to manually draw the weapon’s hammer back before pulling the trigger. Rounds were fed though a revolving cylinder held by the frame, and due to the robustness of the design, were quite large in size. It was totally obsolete compared to modern arms, but still incredibly lethal. A more elegant weapon for a more civilized age.

The patch was clean, he noticed. A nice coat of oil over the moving parts and the cleaning was done. Methodically, he proceeded to load six rounds of .45 Long Gateru, and even though he was not supposed to, he spun the cylinder anyway, enjoying the staccato clicking sounds it made before locking into place. Satisfied that it was safe to carry, he holstered it at his side and rose from his desk.

The kid was coming any minute.

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Houses and shops passed by in a blur of snow and masonry as the steam-car rolled by. Jo was surprised at how quiet the steam engine was in comparison to the prototype internal-combustion engine he’d seen in one of the research and development labs at the Academy. Jo pressed his head against the cool glass of the window and peered out at the people they were passing by, his breath fogging up the window. All were bundled up against the biting cold and were making their way towards the Plaza for the festival. Jo closed his eyes to the blinding maelstrom, letting his mind fade back to the first time he and Saeko had met.

”That's close enough, sir. Turn around and move on,” she said, standing between him and the Khal of Kagoshima at the Shoguns Nameday Ball… the feeling of her body against his as they traded jabs and silver-tongued words on the dance floor… the taste of her lips on his and the feeling that they were the only two in the world as they shared a kiss while soaking in the hot springs.

”We’ve arrived, sir” The driver said, his voice bringing Jo back to reality. The car had come to a stop in front of the designated house, and the driver had hopped out and opened the door for him, sending a blast of cold air into the previously boiler-heated compartment. Jo dismounted and thanked the driver before approaching the front door. Each step felt like a step towards his death as he walked towards the home of his commanding officer. Sennin Masao wasn’t well known for his mercy. Actually, he was best known for his deadly grooming techniques with the most dangerous hairbrush known to man. He was also known to use said brush on those who failed to follow dress-code. Who knows what he would do to someone who had been secretly seeing his daughter behind his back?

Well, it was too late to turn back now. Even if he wanted to, he would not… could not… run away. He loved Saeko too much to turn back now. He had faced death more than once just to get the chance to come home and see her. Come what may, he would face the father of the girl he loved; and if he died in the encounter, then he died with dignity and honor. He raised his hand and paused for just one moment... then knocked three times, with purpose.

Takaki Saeko

Yen
ASP
Deaths
The door swung open, temporarily bathing Jo’s vision in incandescence as the light within the manor overcame the darkness of the outside. A pair of hands wrapped themselves in his, and compared to the bite of the frosty air outside they were soft and warm like cotton in front of a fire.
Yukiko_Fesitval_zps19c9222f.jpg

cloud_chuunin.gif
“Whatever you’re selling, I’m not interested,” said the girl who greeted him at the door, a sly smile on her face that nevertheless was ultimately betrayed by the hint of pink gracing her cheeks. Takaki Saeko was sixteen years old and in the flower of her youth. She wore a kimono of red silk adorned with a golden brocade pattern of two peacocks fighting each other, held together by a deep purple, almost indigo Obi – the color of House Santaru. Her hair was ornamented simply, with a red headband also patterned in gold and silver. “I’m glad you came. I thought for a brief, horrible moment...that maybe you wouldn’t arrive…but I know that’s total BS,” she murmured to him with no small amount of relief in her voice. “Oh! Those are lovely flowers, thank you! Er, sorry about the glasses…my contacts are on backorder and…” she blushed.
Erwin_Av_zpsbe599b44.jpg

cloud_sennin.gif
“Saeko.”

The voice was unmistakable. It commanded attention immediately. It was a voice belonging to a man who had spent decades fighting and and ordering men to their glory and demise. It was the voice of a Sennin (and Acting Raikage) of Kumogakure.

“Why don’t you invite him inside. I would dislike it if a subordinate froze to death on village grounds without my permission,” said Takaki Masao, who loomed behind his daughter like a monolith chiseled out of pure terror. Without acknowledging Jo’s presence further, the man turned with military precision and proceeded back into the house.

“Don’t worry,” whispered Saeko as she ushered Jo inside and shut the door behind him. “He hasn’t opened the brush case. Just spent all afternoon cleaning that old Single Action Army he got from Mother. Thing only holds six rounds - you’ll be fine,” she winked at him before planting a quick kiss on his cheek.

The inside of the manor was remarkably…middle class, as far as Jo could see. Compared to the ostentatious displays of wealth dripping from every free corner of the Shinrya Manor, or the gold-plated -everything of the Isaki Manor, the Takaki household actually looked a bit…dated by comparison. Masao was a man who clearly liked things to look old-fashioned, and it was clear that he was stingy enough to hold off on replacing fixtures until they had been repaired to the point of being unrecognizable. However, it was well-lit and cozy enough.

The Man Himself sat in a worn-looking leather recliner facing perpendicularly to the fireplace, and surprisingly, Enjeru was also in attendance, looking uncomfortably mysophobic as usual. A plate of cookies and salty snacks was laid out on the large coffee table in the center, and opposite Masao, was a place for Jo to sit.

“Genin Narashi,” said Masao, as he held a snifter of what smelled like cognac in one hand and absentmindedly twirled an ebony-with-gold-engraving revolver-bolter in the other (bringing to mind memories of a certain Major of the People’s Liberation Army). Enjeru glared at his father, no doubt also incensed by the violation of every possible rule of bolter-arm safety, but said nothing. “Please, sit. Saeko will need a few more moments to get ready, so I thought we could have a chat. Enjeru, get him whatever drink he wants,” said Masao, sipping from the snifter.

He fixed an inscrutable gaze on Jo, the sheer weight of his stare overpowering for all but the pluckiest mortals.

“So, how is your training progressing?”

Yen
ASP
Deaths
The door swung open and light flooded over the boy; but the light wasn’t so dazzling as the girl standing in the doorway. Jo thought he might’ve said something along the lines of “Hi,” but his world came to a halt once the door opened. Saeko clasped his hands in hers, and his heart stopped. Time seemed to slow down, each snowflake taking hours to fall as Jo basked in the beauty before him. For a brief moment, in the span of time between him knocking and the door opening, he didn’t believe he was ever going to see her again. In his minds eye, he saw Masao opening the door and blowing his brains out; or worse, telling him to stay away from his daughter before slamming the door in his face. Death would be a swift, merciful alternative to a life lived without the girl he loved. Now, there she was; holding his hands and blushing so pink that cherry blossoms would be jealous. Then she spoke (oh, speak again, bright angel!). A smile lit up his face as she expressed the same concerns he had about arriving (or lack thereof). Words escaped him for a moment, so he simply handed her the bouquet. He finally found his voice (and his senses) when she apologized about her glasses. ”What’s there to be sorry about? They’re very becoming on you.”

“Saeko,” and just like that, the moment was gone. There, standing in the doorway behind the girl he loved, was Takaki Masao. An experienced combatant on multiple battlefields, Sennin of the Main Branch of Kumogakure’s shinobi corps, and one of the most powerful men in the world; but, even more frightening than all of these things combined, his girlfriends father! The monolithic embodiment of horror towered over the young couple for just a moment before continuing. “Why don’t you invite him inside. I would dislike it if a subordinate froze to death on village grounds without my permission,” he said dismissively, turning in a perfect about-face and walking into the house.

“Don’t worry,” whispered Saeko as she ushered Jo inside and shut the door behind him. “He hasn’t opened the brush case. Just spent all afternoon cleaning that old Single Action Army he got from Mother. Thing only holds six rounds - you’ll be fine,” she winked at him before planting a quick kiss on his cheek. Electricity shot through his cheek as her lips graced it, nearly sending his already racing heart into cardiac arrest.

”Well, that is a comforting thought…” Jo whispered sarcastically, his small grin (no more than the upturning of one corner of his mouth) betraying his jibe as jest. As he was shown into the sitting room, Jo made note of any and all potential escape routes; partially due to his training, partially because he was a teenage boy about to sit down for a man-to-man with his girlfriends dad. Some small comfort was taken as Jo espied Enjeru perched on the couch like a large cat ready to pounce away from any microbial threat that presented itself. Jo flashed him a warm smile and a polite bow as he entered the room.

“Genin Narashi,” said Masao. Jo caught the scent of cognac before he saw the snifter, mostly because he was way more interested in the gold-engraved hand bolter he was twirling around in a manner more befitting an ocelot than a Sennin (a one Revolver Ocelot to be exact). Enjeru glared at his father, but said nothing. Jo was glad to see someone else concerned about bolter safety, but he too held his tongue. “Please, sit. Saeko will need a few more moments to get ready, so I thought we could have a chat. Enjeru, get him whatever drink he wants.”

Jo did as he was ordered and sat; and make no mistake, it was an order. Just because he included “please” before the statement didn’t mean it carried any less weight. He did his best to relax, but that was a little difficult to do having been placed between a roaring fireplace and a bolter-wielding father. In response to the offer of a drink, Jo simply replied with; ”Thank you, Takaki-sama, Enjeru-sama; but I’m not thirsty.” Then the man before him fixed him with a burning gaze that would send even the most resolute man into hysterics.

“So, how is your training progressing?”

Small talk, nothing but small talk. Sure, Masao could possibly be interested in how his subordinate was progressing in the shinobi arts; in fact, any good commanding officer would. However, this wasn’t a meeting in the Torre, or a chance encounter at the training grounds. This was his living room, and it was his daughter the boy before him was trying to take out for the evening. Small talk was a useful tool to ease into a conversation neither of them wanted to have, but they both knew had to happen. So, Jo would politely oblige.

”It’s going rather well, sir. Ever since the briefing before the Amaranth Mission, I’ve been spending all my downtime improving my “mediocre” chakra arts skills. I’ve managed to master all of the unarmed taijutsu, fire ninjutsu, and lightning ninjutsu that my chakra system can handle. I’ve also begun studying radioactive jutsu. After Marsh,” Jo paused for effect and stared pointedly at Masao while flickering his gaze over to Enjeru. The mission Jo was referring to was still classified as far as he knew; and, while Masao and Saeko were directly involved, Enjeru wasn’t. ”You could say I’ve taken up an interest in chakra enhanced atomic combat techniques.”

Small talk; just small talk. All true, but all just an appetizer for what was to come.

Takaki Saeko

Yen
ASP
Deaths
SnK_Levi_zpse332e481.jpg

Gee, thanks for throwing me under the bus, sighed Enjeru internally at Jo’s refusal of a beverage. If the damned genin had simply said “yes” then Enjeru could have simply sauntered off to the kitchen to spend like forty minutes pouring a beer or mixing a gin-and-tonic, hell, even frothing up some milk for a latte. Now he was stuck here with both his father as well as the boy who was dating his precious imouto. Yes, Jo had proven himself a decent guy who Enjeru was willing to stand up for, even potentially against his own father, but it did not negate the dread of actually getting pulled into a nasty standoff. I had a man-to-man talk once. It was horrible.

”It’s going rather well, sir…” Jo responded fearlessly, as Enjeru uncomfortably gripped the edges of the cushion he sat on. Masao himself listened, his expression still inscrutable while he continued to twirl the revolver-bolter around his finger with the sort of detached perfection only found in classic spaghetti Westron films.

“No need to conceal your involvement in that. My son already knows most of the details, although not all of them,” said Masao, casting a sidelong glace at his grumpy offspring. “I found early on that it was unrealistic to expect shinobi not to tell their family members anything about their missions. Extreme secrecy was driving families apart and encouraging substance abuse and alcoholism, the two of which were far more likely to result in spilling state secrets than simply assuaging a concerned wife’s fears about what her husband was getting up to on long deployments. We found that family and friends were actually less likely to gossip with others once they were brought into the know – at least, on a limited basis.

“Speaking about the mission... Your admission of your feelings toward my daughter ended up being broadcast over a very wide area. Fortunately for us, it ended up distracting a lot of attention away from the actual details of the operation, despite how…embarrassing it might have been for you,” said Masao, taking a sip of his cognac and eyeing Jo intently.

“Getting straight to the point, you probably came here thinking that I’d put two in your chest and one in your head because you’ve held her hand or worse. The thing is, I really don’t care what you two do in private. I highly doubt either of you want to be burdened with an infant at this point in your careers, at the very least…”

“Chouto-mate!*” gasped Enjeru, who turned visibly pale.

“Quiet, Mednin Takaki!” barked Masao. “No, Genin Narashi, what I’m really concerned about, and what I wanted to talk with you about, is the fact that love and attachment make people, especially shinobi, do stupid things. Dying in battle for the Raikage sounds great when you’re single, but it becomes a lot harder to do when you have someone waiting for you.” The revolver-bolter’s spinning ceased, and Masao slowly and deliberately swung the cylinder out, ejecting all but two rounds.

“What I want to ask you is this: Let’s imagine Yukimura Enishi has Saeko at his mercy, and there is no backup within a thousand klicks. Unless she gives up a list of our deep cover agents in Marsh Country and their contacts, he will slowly torture her to death. You have a hand-bolter with two rounds left in it and none of them know you are present. Who do you shoot?” he asked, as he handed the bolter to Jo and crossed his arms.
*Trans: "Wait a minute!!"

Yen
ASP
Deaths
The look of disgust and hopelessness on Enjeru’s face and flinched internally. He’d have to apologize to him later, perhaps over a fresh dish of fries; but if things went downhill quickly, Jo was counting on Enjeru to help him get away. Either by physically intervening, or at least talking some sense into his old man before he spattered one of his subordinates brains all over his mantle. The resulting small talk with Enjeru’s father ended up being mostly educational; which was a good thing, because he had been experiencing a rift growing between himself and his father since he had started sharing his experiences in the military, but Jo had hidden behind the shield of confidentiality. He made a note to sit down with his father the next time he had a chance and have a heart-to-heart about what he’d been through (within reason, some state secrets had to be kept).

”Yes… that was quite embarrassing.” He said in response to the comment about the accidental broadcast of his feelings across international chakra waves. ”But, regardless of the leak; I would do it all over again. I meant every word of it.” There it was! The real reason behind the visit began. Jo was slightly shocked that Masao didn’t care about the physical intimacy between his daughter and himself; though he did have to agree that having a child at this point would be irresponsible to say the least. He kept his agreement to himself, though several ideas on how to prevent pregnancy did pop into his head (and were quickly banished, as he was more than a little busy trying to make sure he survived this encounter before even considering the two of them bringing their relationship to that level). Besides, Enjeru had enough indignant reaction for the both of them.

That’s when Masao struck a chord within Jo; a subject he never wanted to address. At the back of his mind, a massive dark wolf crept towards his consciousness; the growl rippling out from his throat to echo around in his hosts soul. Anger rose unbidden in the genins heart, an emotion that he had plenty of practice hiding, but not when it involved the influence of the enemy within. Jo wouldn’t glare, wouldn’t growl, wouldn’t furrow his brow in defiance; but maybe, just maybe, there might be a burning to his gaze, a smoldering light behind the retinas barely visible to the naked eye.

’Don’t you dare speak so condescendingly to me! I know the shinobi codes, and I know the reasons we aren’t supposed to create emotional connections. Do you think I haven’t thought about all of this? Do you think I’m some stupid little boy? A teenager in heat? I dread the day she or I will have to make a decision that will haunt us the rest of our lives. But I will NOT cease to live my life simply because I am condemned to die; and neither should she!’ An aside, a monologue unheard except by the beast that hides in the shadows.

Then Masao handed him the bolter, and gave him one of the many hypothetical situations he’d hoped he’d never have to face; and, while the situation was still hypothetical, it was made all the more real because of who it was presented by. For a moment, Jo simply held the bolter. It was a nice piece; antiquated, but still functional. In the silence, Jo considered his options, and there was only one that made any sense, horrible as it was. Jo swung out the cylinder and removed one of the bolts, gazing at it for a moment before speaking. ”I… I would shoot her…” His voice was barely above a whisper, its melancholy tone slow, even, and deliberate. He set the bolt down on the table, the copper-jacketed round and brass casing creating a symbolic tombstone on the table. ”Allowing her to live would have put the lives of all our undercover operatives in jeopardy; and with only two rounds, only one would give the element of surprise. Then… Once my cover is blown…” He removed the other round and eyed it as well, though not as long as the other round before setting it down next to Saeko’s. ”I would kill myself. Right now, I have no chance against someone of Enishi’s caliber. I would have to end my life for the same reasons I ended Saeko’s; to protect the lives of the people I would betray under torture…” That wasn’t all. ”… besides, I wouldn’t be able to live the rest of my life without her.” With that, he swung the cylinder back into the bolter and set the now-empty weapon down on the table; his eyes now haunted with a decision he’d already made, but now more real once vocalized.

Takaki Saeko

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Masao noted the subtle flare of indignation that raged briefly behind Jo’s outwardly neutral expression. Yes, he was deliberately pushing the young man’s buttons with this, but it was for a reason. One could never know a fellow shinobi’s true character except under duress. While the village was safe and fat and happy, Nara Ryuujin had been an amusingly garish wannabe-pimp, Kazama Ringo had been a caring and dependable instructor, and Santaru Ryuuto had been an unimpeachable force of righteousness. Once things started to fall apart however, Ryuujin turned into an evil clown, Ringo turned into a sociopath, and Ryuuto revealed himself as a coward and traitor. Masao himself had also revealed his own true flaws – he was a snake with two heads, as it were.

And I wonder what you will turn into, Narashi Jo, because Saeko can become quite dark herself…

“I… I would shoot her…” Jo murmured, softly but with enough sorrow in his voice that none could dispute the truth of his words. AS the genin gave his justification why, Masao noted the placement of the two rounds of .45 LG on the tabletop, sitting together like tombstones in a graveyard. An image of his daughter’s body slowly falling apart as it lay exposed to the elements a thousand kilometers from home flashed across his consciousness and caused his throat to dry. Next to her, he imagined Jo’s corpse feasted on by carrion, but strangely enough, the horror of it all was mitigated by the fact that their decomposing hands were clasped together in a final expression of love. Masao exhaled, looking right into Jo’s eyes.
Erwin_Av_zpsbe599b44.jpg

cloud_sennin.gif
“Very well then. But you’re mistaken about one thing…” he stated, taking the bolter and slowly loading it until the chamber was full again. He snapped it into place and let the hammer down slowly to avoid an accidental discharge. “Even though he doubtless blames me for it…it was you who took Yukimura Enishi’s eye and arm. I’d say that’s more than ‘no chance at all’.

“I think I won’t brush you after all, Genin Narashi Jo. Rather, I’ll tell you to continue protecting the village as you have always done. I also don’t put much stock in teenage relationships. I don’t expect to realistically face the prospect of becoming your father in-law, but if it somehow happens, I won’t object too much,” he smiled, holding the pearl-handled revolver bolter out to Jo, this time safely. “Here. Shinobi men taking their girlfriends out to the festival should carry their arms openly, and the PPK-S hidden in your waistband is a great concealed weapon but a poor display piece. Make my daughter look good. That’s an order.”

cloud_chuunin.gif
“Daddy, are you done now?” asked Saeko, draping her arms around Jo’s shoulder from behind. “And Jo, if that situation ever happened you’d better not do anything perverted and try to cop a feel after putting one in my brainstem. It’s hella disrespectful,” she chided him playfully, shaking a finger at him.
SnK_Levi_zpse332e481.jpg

“Eh…okay…now that you’re not going to kill him, Father, can I go back upstairs? I promised my guildmates I’d play League of Legendia with them tonight…” asked Enjeru, rolling his eyes and rising to leave.

“No, you’re going to go with them,” said Masao pointedly.

“What?! You never said anything about that! I don’t have a date, anyway. I refuse to be some sort of awkward third wheel. I chaperoned once and it was horrible. Besides, you said you don’t care what sort of greasy fluids they come in contact with,” pouted the mednin.
Hitch_Av1_zpsd5eb337e.png

“No, you grumpy cat!” lilted another female voice from behind Saeko. Nara Hichiko, better known as “Hitch,” cheerfully waved to Enjeru. She was dressed in a purple kimono ornamented with silver brocade and wore an obi colored brilliant yellow. “Your father asked me to come with you to the festival. I wasn’t doing anything else so I said sure thing!”

“Absolutely not!” said Enjeru, crossing his arms and looking away indignantly.

“Stop being so tsun and show me some dere. Only losers go raiding in League on festival day. You want to be a NEET for the rest of your life?”

“Maybe I do! Then I wouldn’t have to deal with your incessant antics and your…your constant cross-contamination of food products! How many times must you backwash in my drinks?!”

“Maybe I’m giving you…indirect kisses?” smiled Hitch malevolently. “Maybe every time I share a fork with you I’m trying to tell you something? Hmm?!”

“You’re trying to murder me is what. That one time you baked me cookies I nearly got peritonitis.”

“But they were your favorite, no?”

“Yeah- I mean, they were horrible. I was in the ICU for a week. Severe Sepsis.”

“You mean you were on the can for a few minutes longer than usual.”

“Hitch, your mind and your mouth are still an overflowing gutter as usual.”

“Enjeru, if you don’t throw on a nice jacket and take me to the festival in five minutes I swear I’m going to hold you down and *bleep* your brains out.”

“Uggh, fine, I’ll go. Jesus Himura Saito…” sulked the mednin, storming off to obtain a winter coat.

“Enjeru and Hitch-chan are old childhood friends since forever,” whispered Saeko to Jo. “It’s pretty obvious they have a thing for each other… Hey, shall we be off?”

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Jo’s gaze had not strayed from the two tombstone bolts after he had given his answer. In his minds eye he saw both he and Saeko, thousands of miles from home, their bodies never being recovered. ”So wise so young they say do ne’er live long…” The same could be said about shinobi. The average life expectancy for a ninja was mid-twenties at best, and the chances of dying in combat and never having your body recovered was high. When the recruiter had tested him positive for chakra sensitivity, he had sentenced him to a short, hard life. While his parents had seemed concerned, but overjoyed; beneath their polished veneer, Jo knew they were mortified. He had come home for dinner one Sunday to find his mother crying over the stove, telling his father that a shinobi courier had delivered a letter mean for him, and she thought it was someone coming to tell her Jo had been killed in action. Until Jo had a child of his own (if he ever had a child of his own), he would never know the fear and the pain his parents and Masao felt when their children were deployed. The genin suddenly felt even more respect for the man in front of him (as if that were possible).

Jo looked up and locked eyes with Masao as he sighed. “Very well then. But you’re mistaken about one thing…” he said, reloading the bolter. “Even though he doubtless blames me for it…it was you who took Yukimura Enishi’s eye and arm. I’d say that’s more than ‘no chance at all’.” Was that pride Jo detected in Masao’s voice? Maybe, maybe not. Either way, Jo was proud to have made such an impact in the fight against the Kingslayer.

“I think I won’t brush you after all, Genin Narashi Jo. Rather, I’ll tell you to continue protecting the village as you have always done. I also don’t put much stock in teenage relationships. I don’t expect to realistically face the prospect of becoming your father in-law, but if it somehow happens, I won’t object too much,” he smiled, holding the pearl-handled revolver bolter out to Jo. “Here. Shinobi men taking their girlfriends out to the festival should carry their arms openly, and the PPK-S hidden in your waistband is a great concealed weapon but a poor display piece. Make my daughter look good. That’s an order.”

Jo reached out and took the bolter, noticing the leather holster laying on the table for the first time and sliding it gently into place before standing, wrapping the belt around his waist, and buckling it securely with the bolter resting on his right thigh. When he’d brushed back his heavy bearskin cloak to buckle on the belt, Masao would see the other weapon he had on his person. Tucked beneath his left arm on a vertical holster was the Desert Falcon .50cal he’d taken from Revolver Ocelot. It was big, garish, ungainly… and POWERFUL AS HELL!!! Jo had taken it to the shooting range at the Academy, and the overpressure when he fired the behemoth made his eye’s water and his forehead ache. The benefit? It could take down a fully grown male elephant in one shot. At point-blank, even most shinobi didn’t stand a chance.

”Yes, sir.” Jo replied with a grin, adjusting the bolter belt and his cloak. ”Though, honestly; she always looks good.” The mood considerably lightened as the ominous air lifted. Saeko’s playful reproach brought a smile to his face and a joke, unbidden, to his lips. ”Oh darn!” He snapped his fingers in faux disappointment. ”And here I was, all excited to try my hand at necrophilia.” The following back-and-forth between Hitch-chan and Enjeru-sama was particularly amusing, though etiquette dictated that he stifle his laughter until the latter went off to find a winter coat. Saeko’s explanation of the situation was quite helpful, and helped him understand Enjeru a little more.

”Sure thing; as soon as Enjeru gets back.” Jo answered Saeko’s final inquiry. In the meantime, he introduced himself to Hichiko. ”Sorry, we haven’t been formally introduced other than via comlink. I’m Narashi jo.” He said, extending a politely low bow. After they were finished with introductions and Enjeru returned, Jo would lead the way to the car and they’d be off to the festival. As they pulled away, Jo would give one final glance back at the house of the man he had grown to admire rather than just fear.

Takaki Saeko

Yen
ASP
Deaths

“Jeez, so formal, Jokkun! Don’t worry, we’re all family here!” said Hitch cheerfully, planting a greeting kiss on Jo’s cheek. “Ooh, Sae-chi, he put on cologne! That’s so manly! Enjeru only smells like chlorhexidine,” she giggled, before turning to presumably track down her grumpy osananajimi and make sure he had not simply retreated to his room to be a smelly League Champion.

cloud_chuunin.gif
“Mm…” Saeko smiled gently, although her response was uncharacteristically soft, and her cheeks started to burn. She knew objectively that Hichiko meant nothing serious by the greeting, and that the girl had no concept of personal space to speak of. She was being the same goofy, overly flirty girl she had been since Nara Bii-Ryu had brought his daughter over to the Takaki household to play. And yet, for a brief, unbearable millisecond, Saeko had felt a surge of…hatred.

“Jo-kun,” she said quickly, shaking the jealousy from her consciousness and refocusing on the boy, no – man, she had fallen for. “How’s your injury?” she asked, gently caressing the healing wound on his face. It had started out as a rather large gash, but now it was merely a pink-hued line that would probably turn white with time.
SnK_Levi_zpse332e481.jpg

“Uggh,” groaned Enjeru as he finally stumbled into the entrance foyer, Hitch pushing him from behind. The grumpy mednin had bundled himself up fully, with a long wool overcoat bedecked with at least four separate scarves covering the precious spots of exposed skin between neck and a comically pointed snow hat. The overall effect was akin to staring at a pissed-off feline crossed with a snowman. “I’m not walking all that way. I’ll get trench foot and then when I have to undergo amputation you’ll be sorry,” he complained to Hitch.

“Aw, don’t worry! Losing a toe or two is part of life!” she retorted. “Now, fingers on the other hand, you can’t lose. So make sure you have gloves, or at least can shove your hands in your pants. This one time in Medic Camp…”

The next few hours were a pleasant blur for the four shinobi going to New Year’s. Fueled by amazake and a liberal amount of sweetened sake, they went about enjoying the festivities and games as if they were teenagers on a group date, as opposed to shinobi pantomiming the activities of normal humans.

The grumpy mednin was probably the best shot of the group when it came to the games booths (after all, this was a young man who hunted S-Class Danger Beasts in his spare time with pistol bolters), although Jo was not far behind in terms of skill. Saeko was a decent marksman as well, whereas Hitch was, in a word…lousy, but surprisingly had a great throwing arm. In the end, the group had won so many oversized stuffed animals that they decided to give the bulk of their loot away to the children milling around for lack of space to carry their prizes.

As the festival gradually wound down, the group sat at a bunch of tables outside a refreshment stand, trading stories.

“…Oh right! Remember when Revi-kun asked Zim-sensei ‘Who needs a knife in a nuke-fight anyway? All you gotta do is push a button, sir!’” asked Hitch to Enjeru as they both sipped on steaming mugs of tea.

“And then Zim-sensei was all like, ‘Cease fire. Put your hand on that wall, student. PUT YOUR HAND ON THAT WALL!’ and then pinned Revi-kun’s hand to the wall with a kunai!” Enjeru continued, excitedly.

’The enemy cannot push a button... if you disable his hand. Medic!’ I nearly died laughing from that!” laughed Hitch, hunching over and mimicking a hoarse old Academy instructor waving his finger at a class of students. Despite himself, Enjeru could not help but laugh.

“Revi-kun was so butt-mad from that! Afterwards, we used to try to grab at his hand and give him high-fives, hah!” he chuckled, as he grabbed at Hitch’s hand and poked at it in demonstration.

As their hands met, both mednin caught each other’s eyes.

She’s lovely…

He’s genuinely smiling…

Immediately, both of them looked away, deep pink burning on their faces.

“Er, excuse me…” mumbled Enjeru, breaking the grasp and applying a splash of sanitizer to his hands. A brief flash of disappointment washed over Hitch’s features, but she quickly suppressed it with a smile.

“Oh! The fireworks might be any minute now,” she said cheerfully to Jo and Saeko. “I don’t usually like watching them from in the street, though. Too many other lights. You want me to show you guys a really good spot? It's kind of secluded, but I think there will be enough time to get there!"

Yen
ASP
Deaths
One thing Jo didn’t mind was informality. All the prefixes, suffixes, bowing and other such niceties seemed so antiquated and unnecessary for a majority of circumstances between people who already knew each other. The only exceptions he was willing to observe were when addressing your commanding officers, parents, elder family members, and people who held official titles. That being said; Jo was very formal when it came to personal contact. Other than people who he knew very well, he hated when people touched him. Even a pat on the back while being given a “job well done”, or when the waitress accidentally brushes your hand when they reach to fill your water glass made his skin crawl. Of course, Saeko was an exception to the rule, as well as anything that involved a medical procedure or was done in the course of active duty. It wasn’t a fear of contamination or germs, as it was in Enjeru’s case; it was simply an invasion of private space that Jo didn’t appreciate.

So, when Hichiko leaned forward and planted a kiss on his cheek, the young man was momentarily taken aback; his embarrassment evidenced by the flush of red on his cheeks. It wasn’t as if he didn’t like Hitch (as a friend of course!), but; ’What the hell?! Don’t kiss me! Only my mother and Saeko are allowed to kiss me; and I only barely put up with my mother!’ No matter how offended his thoughts were, regardless of the shocked look that adorned his face; in the darkness of his heart, the Beast raised his head from where it had been resting on his front paws, its ears perking up and its eyes blazing to life.
”Hmm… does she wish to mate? You could have her you know…”

’No, she does not wish to mate! I already have a mate!’ Jo’s subconscious retorted hotly, slipping into the Demons terminology without even thinking about it.

’Huh… I thought that thing you humans did with your lips was a sign of affection given prior to, and during mating.’ </COLOR><i></i> By-Tor shrugged. ’Besides, you haven’t actually mated with the other one yet. Even if you had, you’re an alpha male. You can mate with as many as you wish.’<i></i>

’Hey! I told you to stay out of my love life!’

’We’re sharing a body; whatever you see, I see. Whatever you feel, I feel.’<i></i>

’Well, not when it comes to Saeko you don’t!’ In the darkness of his subconscious, a form of Jo appeared and grabbed the hellhound by the throat, lifting it off the floor and suspending it in mid air. ’You are forbidden to have anything to do with her! You will not affect me or my actions as they pertain to her, and you will find a way to separate yourself from me when we are intimate. Do you understand?!’

For a moment the wolf was silent and still, shocked that a mere mortal would go so far to protect another that it would think it wise to grapple with a demon. <COLOR color="darkred">’As you wish…’ It said, a new respect beginning to form in the heart of the Beast. Jo released him, four padded paws landing silently on the ethereal floor. ’But know this…’ The wolf began to grow, its immensity filling the boys subconscious. ’You will not dare to so accost me so disrespectfully again! I am not some puppy for you to play with; some trifling thing you’re kindly giving a home. I saved your life on the mountainside in Marsh; had the Author not sent me, had I not intervened, you would have bled to death on that valley floor. You. Need. Me. You will treat me with the respect I deserve! Now Go!’

The above happened in the blink of an eye, bearing no evidence to its occurrence except for perhaps a momentary look of blankness on the shinobi’s face. Speaking of his face, Seako was caressing it; soft concern in her voice, and a tenderness in the touch. As it was every time the darkness within tried to turn on him, she brought him back to reality, back to her. Of all the preparations he had done before coming over, he had decided against trying to find a way to hide his scars. There was, of course, the fact that they were manly and cool as hell; but, more importantly, he didn’t want to hide who he was. There were both shinobi; hell, she probably had a few scars of her own (control your imagination!). Trying to hide that part of him, or change who he was, was like lying to her. He would never be anything but honest with the one he loved.

Her hand traced the scar of the inch-long vertical cut in the center of his forehead that ended at his hairline, then across the four perfectly round pockmarks that matched the curvature less than a quarter inch above his left eyebrow. He raised his hand to his face and placed it overtop of hers, holding it to his cheek as if it was the only tether he had in a storm. ”It will heal with time. I’ll be alright, now that I’m here with you.” A part of himself was silently face-palming in the back of his mind, the wolf empathizing with its shame; but Jo didn’t care how sappy it sounded, or who heard it. He meant every word.

Jo heard a mumbled groan form the stairwell, and turned to see Enjeru approaching. He pursed his lips, bit his tongue, and held his breath in an effort to keep from bursting out into hysterical laughter at the bundled-up form. ”It’ll be fine, Enjeru. I got us a steam-powered taxi to transport us to-and-from the festival. The cab is heated.”

…​
…​

The next few hours were a haze of fun as the quartet enjoyed the festival. Games of skill were won and lost (most of the loosing done by Hitch), prizes awarded (and subsequently given away), and warm beverages drunk (some doing a little more warming than others). In the end, Jo would be able to look back on this evening as one of the few times he could just be a normal teenage boy since his enrolment at the Academy. Of course, Saeko was his whole world. Between their hectic schedules and random deployments on missions, it wouldn’t be very often that they got to spend this much time together.

As the festival gradually wound down, the group sat at a bunch of tables outside a refreshment stand, trading stories. Enjeru and Hitch were sharing a particularly fond memory when they joined hands in what Jo assumed must’ve been an absurdly rare moment of intimacy. Jo flashed a full smile to Saeko and Hitch as Enjeru sanitized himself.

“Oh! The fireworks might be any minute now,” Hitch said cheerfully to Jo and Saeko. “I don’t usually like watching them from in the street, though. Too many other lights. You want me to show you guys a really good spot? It's kind of secluded, but I think there will be enough time to get there!"

Jo glanced over to Saeko for confirmation before answering (though he was sure she wanted a better view as well as a little seclusion from the throngs of people). ”Sure!”

Takaki Saeko

Yen
ASP
Deaths

cloud_chuunin.gif
“A secluded spot eh, Hitch?” Saeko chuckled at the offer, realizing full well that it was her old friend’s plan to bring her and Jo together, and hopefully at the same time give her friend some alone-time with Enjeru. The bubbly girl may not have looked it, but she was in fact a romantic sort, and derived great enjoyment out of setting other couples up together. The irony was that Hichiko had never really entered into any of her own relationships, preferring to endure Enjeru’s company whenever possible. I’m sorry, but my brother is extremely unreliable…then again, you know that full well, Saeko thought sadly. “Sounds like fun! Jo?” she asked her companion, receiving an affirmative in response.

Come with me if you vant to live,” said Hitch in a strangely accented tone, rising from her chair and extending a hand to the couple.

“I saw that movie once. It was horrible,” said Enjeru, rolling his eyes.

Okay, seriously, what the hell? thought Saeko, marveling at her surroundings. It had turned out that the place her mednin friend had in mind was not far from where they originally started – really, she had taken them to the back door of one of the nondescript buildings nearby (with mandatory “No Trespassing” sign of course), taken out a key hidden in her décolletage, and ushered them inside. Despite Enjeru’s constant and verbal misgivings about entering a shady and potentially germy place, they had made their way up the stairs to the top floor and from there, had passed through yet another nondescript entryway. Saeko had surmised that Hitch was probably taking them to a secret balcony she knew about, but was surprised when the final door had opened to reveal a posh, opulently-appointed luxury suite!

And the place meant luxury: Not only did it boast a king-sized bed with down comforters and a gorillion pillows, it also had a fully-stocked wet bar, large-screen monitor, and even a weretiger-pelt throw complete with the creature’s taxidermied head still attached to it. One side of the room was entirely glass, allowing an unobstructed view of the night sky as well as the glow of the festivities below.

“Ta-Da!” cheered Hitch, upon opening the door. “Next, you're gonna say: ‘Hitch, what the hell is this place and why do you have access to it?! -Touyoo!’” she smirked, striking a dramatic pose from the popular manga series ‘YoYo’s Abnormal Misadventures’.

“Hitch, what the hell is this place and why do you have access to it?! ...Shit!” asked Saeko, catching herself at the last minute and scowling at Hitch.

“Connections! I AM the daughter of Nara Bii-Ryu, close personal friend to ex-Raikage Takao! This is one of his apartments! Oh, don’t worry, the former Raikage never actually comes up here, if that’s what you’re wondering,” she said, giggling.

“Are you sure it’s okay for us to be here?”

“Totally! I crash here a lot! Don’t bother with the TV though, it’s all pay-per-view porno,” she shrugged.

“Hitch, sometimes you scare me,” she said, smiling. The mednin smiled back and patted Saeko’s hair. “Hey, so are we going to watch the fireworks from that window?”

“You and Jo are going to. See, Enjeru has allergies…” Hitch sighed, although with a wink.

“Actually, this place has very few contaminants, I think I’ll be fine-“ began Enjeru, stepping in, before Hitch grasped him from behind in an affectionate headlock and started to drag him backward.

“I said…Enjeru has allergies…” she purred menacingly, dragging them both away and shutting the door. Now it was simply Saeko and Jo left in the room.

“She’s a really nice person,” Saeko smiled, chuckling a bit. “I think they might start up pretty soon. Shall we watch?” As she spoke, the first explosions of color started to illuminate the night sky – a dazzling array of greens, reds, and purples. Sparkles of light tore through the darkness, at one point even painting a brief portrait of the goofy-but-recognizable Raikage Hayata Shin. Her hand slipped into his as they stood together watching the show. As they marveled at the fireworks, a distant memory came flooding back to her…

”Starting today, Blue Raven Class’s homeroom sensei will be replaced by a new instructor. Please introduce yourself, Takaoka-sensei,” said the Headmaster, as he stood in front of the assembled academy students in their tracksuits and bloomers. The students looked at each other with uncertainty and surprise.

“Hey guys! My name is Takaoka Ringo, and I look forward to working with you!” said the man who stepped forward. In his forties by the look of it, he had a burly physique with a rather large belly, but anyone with sense knew that such bulk was pure muscle as opposed to fat. Still, he had a friendly face, even if the eyes were a bit beady to look at.

“Headmaster Fujinami! What happened to Kotaza-sensei?! She’s been our teacher for the last two years!” one of the students blurted out.

“She’s been reassigned,” said the Headmaster, shrugging nonchalantly. “Anyway, work with Takaoka-sensei and strive to become legitimate shinobi.”

“Aw, don’t be sad! Look, I know your former sensei meant a lot to you guys, but I want you to know, I think of you all as family already. Look, I even got some treats for all of you!” said Ringo, smiling benevolently and bringing out a bag full of assorted pastries. The students, used to relative deprivation, immediately forgot their earlier misgivings and dove right in, taking pieces of pie and slices of cake. He had ingratiated himself into the class instantly.

The next day, Ringo assembled the students together outside.

“Alright, my children, here are your new training regimens! Unfortunately, one of the things I noticed is that Kotaza-sensei let you guys fall a bit behind in terms of physical training and endurance, so we’ll correct that. Don’t worry though, I’ve got your backs,” smiled the burly man as he passed out flyers to each of them. As the students looked over the schedules, however, a wave of disbelief washed over the class.

“Takaoka-sensei…this schedule…it’s all hard-core endurance training and there’s no room for our other subjects, I mean, our ninjutsu training is only ten percent of what it was before, and there’s no room for leisure time either,” said one of the students with trepidation.

“First of all, I want you all to call me ‘Father,’ because again, we’re all family here!” said Ringo, placing his hands on his hips. “Second, you’re being trained to be shinobi. That means soldiers. And soldiers must be strong above all else. As I said, I’ve got your backs! Now, let’s begin immediately. I want the class to start with three hundred squats…”

“But sensei…” continued one of the students. He did not get a chance to continue, as Ringo immediately smashed a ham-sized fist into the boy’s face, spending him tumbling to the ground, blood leaking from both nostrils.

“We’re family here, and in a family, the father’s word is absolute!” Ringo intoned, a glint of madness now breaking through his smile. “So don’t question your father, Itou-kun!”

Over the next few days, the students of Blue Raven Class started on their new training regimen for real. And it was not long until the next wave of trouble hit.

“Come on, kids! Another kilometer and I’ll reward you with ice cream for everyone!” cheered Ringo as he ran ahead of the struggling column of students. One of them, a small girl named Maria, fell to the side, overwhelmed by the weight of her pack. As one of the boys started to help her to her feet, Ringo approached. “Leave her, Tomo-kun. She’ll only drag you down with her,” he said, shaking his head.

“But Father, aren’t we supposed to work as a team? Isn’t that the key to victory in battle?” asked Tomo, struggling to support his own weight. He did not get any further, as Ringo’s knee immediately crashed into his solar plexus, knocking the wind out of him and sending him sprawling on the ground. Another boy who possessed a stronger physique now stepped forward.

“Takaoka-sensei, I am sorry but I cannot abide by this any longer. You are in violation of several academy codes that forbid excessive physical punishment of students, and your training regimen is only going to cause us to incur casualties during our upcoming genin exams. Punish me if you wish, kill me if you wish, but those are the facts,” said the boy, Rai, with a formal bow. Ringo’s arm drew back as if to slap him, but instead the Sensei started to laugh.

“Ikeba-kun, you are on the student disciplinary committee, right? Ah, I guess you’re technically right. But the thing is, that when you get out there in the real world, when you have the enemy trying to kill you, this is going to pay off because the ultimate means of survival is strength. I’m trying to teach you kids strength. ...But if you think I’m going about it the wrong way, then let’s take a test right here. If one of you, in a one-on-one, can hit one of my vital spots with a knife, I’ll withdraw and get Kotaza-sensei to come back. I will be unarmed, and won’t use handseals or even strength-boosting jutsu. But if I win, then you all must do whatever I say from now on, without question. Is that fair?” asked Ringo, smirking. “Oh, and one more thing: when I say ‘knife’ I mean an actual knife, not the vinyl training blades you guys use in sparring,” he said, drawing a serrated Kai-Bar combat knife from a sheath on his waist and flicking it toward the group of students.

It landed point-down in the soft earth – a challenge issued. The students looked at each other with incredulity. They knew how to fight with knives, and even sensei’s physique was not impossible to overcome with the right technique. Objectively, his being unarmed was a major disadvantage in a knife fight against a skilled opponent, and there was an even chance for a senior academy student to win. But none had ever actually killed a human being before, and if Ringo was asking them to strike his vitals, that was a distinct possibility. No one had thought it would go this far – to potentially kill another human, and an academy sensei to boot? They stood stock-still, uncertain, as they stared at the knife.

“I volunteer,” said Saeko, raising her hand from the back row. As she stepped forward, the rest of the class raised their eyebrows. She was only mediocre in melee combat, no traces of an innate bloodline had manifested themselves, and to top it off, she was small and thin. Someone like Ikeba Rai, who had issued the original complaint, would have been a far better candidate to fight Ringo. Still, no one else seemed to want to come forward. Saeko’s expression remained neutral as she pulled the Kai-Bar out of the ground. It was large, and felt clumsy in her hand as she took a few practice swings and thrusts with it. Behind her, some of the students groaned in despair.

“Oh, you want to have a go at it, Saeko-chan? Your father is a retired ANBU Captain, eh? Well, I expect you to show me some skill!” he laughed, licking his lips in anticipation. He had done this many times before to many other shinobi he had trained. Fighting another person with a blunted and thick vinyl blade was easy, because they only inflicted bruises at worst, even with a direct thrust to the ribcage. But the first time they handled a real blade, against a real opponent, every prior student of his had choked up at this stage. They hesitated even when deliberately given an opening, or attempted to make a weaker slash instead of an effective thrust, or tried to aim at an extremity instead of at the torso or neck, or even just threw the blade as a feint and attempted to grapple him into submission. It failed every time, and every time he had brutally retaliated and sent the trainee to the hospital, or if he were sloppy, killed them. Such a display cowed the group into submission – even when given a distinct advantage, they were powerless against him, and had no choice but to obey forever. It was a necessary sacrifice, in Ringo’s opinion. Today, this lanky, noodly-limbed girl Takaki Saeko would be his lamb for slaughter.

Saeko held the knife in a standard combat grip, pointed straight forward and with her thumb near the hilt. She walked calmly toward Ringo, who hunched into a defensive stance. His eyes met hers, and he relaxed. She was weak like everyone else had been, and would probably either make a lame attack or would drop the knife entirely when push came to shove. After all, there was no tension on her face.

With no more than a hand’s breadth worth of distance between them, Saeko started to make a sideways slash at Ringo’s right shoulder… He inwardly rolled his eyes – this was going to be easy. He would overhead parry with his right arm, follow through on the motion arc, and trap her limb between his armpit and torso. With her knife useless, he would counter with a haymaker to her shoulder, dislocating it and forcing her to drop the knife, before raining a hail of blows to her face and abdomen. Overwhelmed by the assault, she would quickly fall, and he would end it with his knee on her chest and his hands around her throat. Really, he thought, this was going to be stupid…

Ringo’s eyes widened as Saeko, instead of completing the slash, suddenly pulled away as he raised his arm to block the attack. Instead, her left arm shot out to counter his parry, and she now thrust with her right, with the knife aimed right below his anterior fourth rib! Ringo’s left arm had already drawn back to make an assault on her shoulder that never came, and in panic, he attempted to target her face. But she was already too close, and…

With a sickening gush of air and blood, Saeko thrust the blade into his chest up to the hilt and pulled it out immediately, the better to inflict a fatal tension pneumothorax and let the target exsanguinate faster. Ringo fell back in shock, futilely grasping at his chest to try to stem bleeding that would not stop. Before he hit the ground, his chest cavity had filled with blood from a ruptured right ventricle and pulmonary artery, and he lost consciousness, convulsing on the ground.

“CEASE FIRE! CEASE FIRE!!!” screamed another instructor who materialized in a flurry of smoke. Immediately, Saeko’s arms were restrained behind her back and her face pressed into the ground. The other students started to shout and panic, but were quickly subdued by what looked like an entire company of shinobi who had descended on the scene.

“Third-year student Takaki! What is the meaning of this?! What have you done?!” shouted a sensei as Ringo was quickly loaded onto a stretcher by two mednin and carted away. Saeko blinked, confused.

“Did I not use the proper technique?” she asked. She never received an answer, as suddenly a wave of electricity from a shock-rod hit her consciousness and she passed out.

The next few days were a blur of activity. Her parents were called in from Inaba to have closed-door meetings with various officials and higher-ups in the village. Eventually, she was cleared of wrongdoing in absentia – Takaoka Ringo had, after all, provided lethal weaponry to his students and instructed them to strike him in a vital spot. His death was ruled as an unfortunate training accident, and the rules regarding student-teacher sparring were tightened.

Once she returned to class, though, things had changed. She had never been especially friendly with her classmates, but now, they all seemed to look at her with either fear or disgust. “Bakemono*…” was a term she heard often in hushed whispers. “Sociopathic tendencies…” was a term she often heard when eavesdropping on sensei conversations. Even Ikeba, Tomo, and Maria were avoiding her.

The day after genin graduation, a dark-suited man knocked on her apartment door. She opened it partway, peering at him suspiciously.

“Takaki-san? My name is Takayama Shimada, a Captain in the Kumogakure ANBU. May I come in? You are not in trouble, by the way,” he said, not unkindly. She wordlessly opened the door. She did not bother making him tea, but instead sat down across him in her sparsely-finished room, on the tatami floor.

“I am a friend of your father and your mother, who as you know, was Grand Commander of our corps many years ago. I also am familiar with your role in the incident regarding Takaoka Ringo-sensei. I have no doubt that you have suffered much as a result, although I would venture to say, probably because of the social isolation from your peers, rather than being haunted by his death or anything,” said Shimada, knowingly. Saeko nodded, wordlessly.

“The Main Branch has not entered you into their rolls, have they? And I don’t believe you ever applied to the Medical Corps. Is that correct?” asked Shimada, to which she nodded again. “So basically, you are jobless right now. The reason is because Sennin Hayata of the Main believes your particular talents best suited for our branch rather than his, and because your academic performance during the academy did not qualify you for medical school. That leaves…”

“The ANBU,” said Saeko, sighing.

“Correct. Or, you would be, if not for the fact that you have been barred from our ranks as well,” said Shimada, clearing his throat. “As a former Grand Commander, your mother has forbidden you from being inducted into the AiT program, and not even Sennin Akira Saito may override her wishes. Otherwise, we would have immediately scouted you for our ranks. You would already have been in living in the Sileo Tempestas by now.”

“Why did my mother do this?” she asked, gritting her teeth.

“In the ANBU, we are especially keen on scouting and recruiting students like you, who display certain desirable psychological traits. Perhaps the most desirable is the trait you possess. It is labeled by the Mednins as ‘sociopathy,’ however, that is too broad a term, and too pejorative of a label. The vast majority of human beings, even shinobi, have an ill-defined but very strong innate resistance to taking another human life. Mind you, we are a violent people, but there is a difference between being willing to get in a fistfight and being willing to actually kill. If someone in the majority does in fact kill another human being, they often undergo a great deal of mental anguish which can diminish their willingness to kill again, even in service of the Raikage. Based on how you handled the incident with Takaoka-sensei, however, and after a review of your academy record, it seems you are not affected by this innate resistance. You can kill freely, calmly, and without inner conflict, and you can do this again and again. Such a trait is extremely rare, and thus highly desirable in an ANBU operative, for this is our day-to-day job.”

“So I’m truly a monster after all,” said Saeko, burying her face in her hands. “They were right. I tried to force myself to feel bad for what I had done, but I can’t. So why won’t my mother allow me to join the ANBU, then? I still want to serve the village, you know. It sounds like your corps is the perfect place for a creature like me.”

“I would agree, and you would make an outstanding operative. Your mother, Santaru Rin, stated quite plainly to me that there was no place in her corps for you. She refused to give any other explanation why.”

“Was she concerned for my well-being?” asked Saeko.

“No. She said she did not care if you lived or died.”

“I…I see. Thank you for being honest with me, Captain Takayama…” said Saeko, darkly.

“It is my duty to be truthful. Your father however, has an alternative arrangement in mind for you, that would allow you to receive specialized training, continue your shinobi career, and also start over in a new location away from your peers,” said Shimada now.

“And that is?”

“Are you familiar with the Democratic Kagoshiman Republic, or DKR for short? It is ruled over by a…’president,’ really a tribal dictator, named Date Daisuke. Khal Date is married to a Jounin of this village named Kimura Rei. She is a Hashigaki by blood, and a close personal friend to your father’s…”

“I know the history. They were lovers in the past,” said Saeko, shaking her head.

“Correct. In any case, Jounin Kimura has heard of your situation and contacted your father, who contacted me. She is offering to take you on as her personal student for as long as you wish. You will be her genin apprentice, and will also provide security services for the Khal. I am here to ask you if you are willing to pursue this opportunity.”

“I guess…I don’t really have a choice, do I? It’s either do that or stay here and die slowly, isn’t it? Very well… I accept…”

She opened her eyes now. The last few fireworks were going off, and soon the show would be over. The memory of that time still haunted her, as did the memory of her mother’s words as relayed by Shimada. For a long time, even under Rei’s loving tutelage, she had felt alone. She was still a monster inside, and for that reason, unworthy to connect with other human beings on a meaningful level. Teasing and flirting with men was easy – one of the first things Rei had taught her how to do – and of course when Narashi Jo had first come into her life, she had merely toyed with him as she did with all other men and women. And yet he had wanted more. The connection between them had grown – it had frightened her how much she had wanted to respond in kind.

“Jo…” she murmured, as the show ended, glimmers of dying red still reflecting in her glasses. “When I came back, I actually intended to stop us from going further. I wanted to show you my true nature, and for you to be repulsed, and for me to be done with the whole thing. I wanted you to tell me something like: ‘That’s horrible! Don’t you feel bad for the people you’ve killed?!’ or something similarly cheesy, like from a shounen manga. I would’ve accepted it gracefully, and gone back to Kagoshima with an unburdened heart. I’d have been free. But you…you wrecked my plans,” she said, her eyes now watering.

“I’m not supposed to fall in love with anyone. That’s not what killers like me do. I might murder you in your sleep one day. If the Raikage ordered it, I’d do it, and I wouldn’t feel terrible about it at all! Do you really want to be with that kind of woman?! Don’t you want to be with that other girl you liked, Ren? She’s a pure girl, Jo, as are many others in this village. Don’t make a mistake with a monster like me. This is your last chance! Please, leave me. Please, for you own good and for mine as well, because if we continue I won't be able to bear to let you go,” she said, openly sobbing now as she clutched his chest.
* trans: "Monster"

Yen
ASP
Deaths
’Umm… What the hell?’ Jo’s thoughts rang out in chorus with everyone else. The suite Hitch had lead them to was absolutely the last place Jo had thought they’d end up. A rooftop patio, or a secluded balcony, perhaps; or maybe a spot in a nearby park with an unobstructed view of the sky an low lighting; but a lavish apartment? It was all so luxurious, and… well… the only time Jo had seen a room like this was in a poorly directed porno.

”Wha…?” Jo began to speak, but Saeko sprung Hitch’s trap first. Shamelessly name-dropping her father and Raikage Takao, Hichiko pacified her guests trifling worries and proved the value of her connections. Then, with a quick headlock and a fabricated excuse, she dragged Enjeru from the room, shutting the door behind her with a wink. Jo knew Hitch was doing them a favor and trying to give them some alone-time, but he had his suspicions that she and Enjeur would more than likely be a little busy enjoying each others company as well.

Jo nodded at Saeko’s comment about their hostess. ”Yeah; but she’s got her work cut out for her with that one.” A small chuckle escaped his lips as he realized the magnitude of the understatement he’d just made about her brother; but then, the fireworks started, and he was too caught up in their light to care about anything besides the unrelenting beauty he was seeing… Oh, and the fireworks were nice too. As the show began, Saeko’s hand slipped into his, and his heart skipped a beat. His pulse pumping, adrenaline running, and a feeling of pure joy filled his heart. He watched the lights fill up the sky, but averted his gaze to the reflection of the sparks flying in Saeko’s eyes; a more worthy canvas. Jo tried to remember the last time he’d felt this happy. the image of his first ride on a roller-coaster came to mind. The slightly-nauseous, adrenaline-filled rush was almost as good as this, but not quite…

’WAIT A MINUTE!!!’ By-Tor broke into his subconscious, freeze-framing his childhood memory. ’You’ve felt a rush more similar… and more recently!’ Colors and images faded in a cascading blur as Jo was transported to somewhere he’d only seen once in person, and had revisited countless times in his nightmares. They were in a small corridor at the Shoguns Palace; pipes and wires ran in parallel lines along the ceiling, the walls and floor a grey, unforgiving concrete. Jo saw himself, only slightly younger, dressed to kill in his tuxedo. Blood ran down his right leg, dripping to the floor in slow motion as he drew his PPK-S and set its sights on the Marsh agent in front of him. Two flowers of blood erupted from the agents chest, the petals blooming as the bolts ended his life.

’And again!’ Now they were in a different hallway, though very similar to the first. This time, Jo was hanging from the ceiling, his bolter punching copper-jacketed lead through another agents brainstem. ’And AGAIN!!’ Same hallway, though this time, he was punching a knife underneath a different agents trauma plate. Jo could feel the mans heart beating up the blade and into the handle once more before it went still. ’AND AGAIN!!!’ Jo was crouching in a snowy ditch on a mountainside in Marsh, a dozen or more marsh soldiers approaching his position. With a battle cry he stood, sweeping his modified rifle left-to-right, the steel-core sniper bolts tearing through armor and flesh and bone. ’You don’t revisit your kills in your dreams because they traumatized you…’ By-Tor smiled as he walked behind the Jo in the memory as he drew his pistol bolter and began executing the wounded and finishing off the remaining combatants. ’You don’t feel guilty about killing your fellow man…’ The beast turned and face the real Jo, the Jo dressed in his best kimono and holding the hand of the girl he loved.

’You feel guilty because YOU LIKED IT!!! You’ve never felt so great a rush as when you’re killing someone! You relive your kills because you LOVE KILLING!!! Hahahahahahahaha! You love everything about it! The hunting, the stalking; and yes, the kill! No wonder the Author sent me to you… we’re the same, you and I. We’re MONSTERS!!! Hahahahaha!!!’
<i></i>

The echo of By-Tor’s laugher shook Jo to the foundations of his being. He stood for a moment, lost in the insanity; lost, because it was true! Saeko’s words came to him as if from a great distance, as if he were underwater. As if he were drowning. “Jo… When I came back, I actually intended to stop us from going further. I wanted to show you my true nature, and for you to be repulsed, and for me to be done with the whole thing. I wanted you to tell me something like: ‘That’s horrible! Don’t you feel bad for the people you’ve killed?!’ or something similarly cheesy, like from a shounen manga. I would’ve accepted it gracefully, and gone back to Kagoshima with an unburdened heart. I’d have been free. But you…you wrecked my plans,” she was crying… the sound of the pain she bore was breaking what was left of his heart. “I’m not supposed to fall in love with anyone. That’s not what killers like me do. I might murder you in your sleep one day. If the Raikage ordered it, I’d do it, and I wouldn’t feel terrible about it at all! Do you really want to be with that kind of woman?! Don’t you want to be with that other girl you liked, Ren? She’s a pure girl, Jo, as are many others in this village. Don’t make a mistake with a monster like me. This is your last chance! Please, leave me. Please, for you own good and for mine as well, because if we continue I won't be able to bear to let you go,” she was clutching his chest, sobbing into him, sobbing to a monster about how he should fear her. By-Tor’s laughter broke through his minds, filling him with dread and consuming his soul-

”ENOUGH!!!” He shouted, his voice a dreadful bark that tore him from the darkness. Now it was he who was clutching her. Holding on to her for dear life, as if she was the only thing anchoring him to the real world. One arm was wrapped around her shaking shoulders, the other overtop of it, his hand holding the back of her head in a vice grip and he pressed his face into her neck. ”Enough…” his voice was softer now, almost a whisper; his words filled with a strange mix of sorrow and love. ”Kill me… You could kill me right now, and I’d die a happy man for having known you. For having loved you. For you having loved me.” Jo pulled his face back, his grip on her head softened, his hand finding her cheek and lifting her gaze to meet his. Tears flowed from his eyes to roll down his face in tiny rivulets as his small smile found his lips.

”I don’t care… I couldn’t care less if you killed the entire world and didn’t feel a thing. I don’t care about the darkness in your heart. I love you, Saeko. I love you unconditionally. All I ask, is that you do the same. Love me like I’m not the monster I am. Love me, regardless of the evil in my soul. Love me, that’s all I ask of you.”

Takaki Saeko

Yen
ASP
Deaths
”ENOUGH!!!”

The sudden roar halted her sobs abruptly, shocking her out of her pain and replacing it with confusion. She also flinched, instinctually expecting him to strike her. A small part of her started to smile sadly inside. Good, it reasoned, she had finally driven him away and this was the confirmation. Mission Accomplished, as it were.

“Enough…” he almost whispered. She realized now that he as holding her close, his face buried in the small of her neck and an arm wrapped tightly around her frame. The slap to the face never came. Instead, he was…he was crying himself in sorrow but also happiness.

”Kill me… You could kill me right now, and I’d die a happy man for having known you. For having loved you. For you having loved me.”

She opened her mouth to respond but found that she could not. He was ruining everything, as he had been since the first time they had met. She had succeeded in building the ultimate wall of defense around her soul, and had been happy to go about her day to day business in the frozen hinterlands with a smile, even if everything smelled of horses and sweat and cloves. She had finally accepted true solitude – had even found herself looking forward to it. And yet this…this obnoxious genin had simply started to pull her barriers apart brick by brick, no matter how much she tried to drive him away. He had pursued her even as she had avoided him. Her father and brother had proven ineffective as deterrents. Her last, earnest defenses had been reduced to the beating of an infant’s fists against a plate cuirass.

I hate you, Narashi Jo! I hate you for doing this… she screamed inside.

“I don’t care…”

How dare you! How dare you!? How dare you make me want to feel human again?!

“…I couldn’t care less if you killed the entire world and didn’t feel a thing. I don’t care about the darkness in your heart. I…”

No! Don’t say it! Don’t say it again! DON’T SAY IT, PLEASE!

“I love you, Saeko. I love you unconditionally. All I ask, is that you do the same. Love me like I’m not the monster I am. Love me, regardless of the evil in my soul. Love me, that’s all I ask of you.”

Saeko closed her eyes, blinking away tears. She trembled, but was quickly still. Slowly, she shook her head, smiling despite herself.

cloud_chuunin.gif
“What a bother you are, Narashi Jo…” she chuckled softly. “But now that you’ve said all that, what can a girl really do but love you back?” she said, raising her head and kissing him softly on the lips. Her hands rose and caressed his face, gently gliding over his moistened stubble and scars, before grasping the tomoeri* of her kimono and pulling it gently apart. The fabric slipped from her shoulders, and fell to her waist.

”Protip: undo the Obi from the back,” she whispered in his ear as she stepped backward, pulling him toward the bed…
And…that’s probably a good place to end it so we don’t get banned. Great thread!

*Trans: Outer collar of a kimono.

Yen
ASP
Deaths
OOC: I concur. Besides, we have to leave something to the imagination of the readers. Great thread! I don't think I'll add anything; you wrapped it up quite nicely. You only forgot one teensy-weensy little thing...

[Fade to Black]

{Topic Left}

Current Ninpocho Chronicles Time:

Back