Ninpocho Chronicles

Ninpocho Chronicles is a fantasy-ish setting storyline, set in an alternate universe World of Ninjas, where the Naruto and Boruto series take place. This means that none of the canon characters exists, or existed here.

Each ninja starts from the bottom and start their training as an Academy Student. From there they develop abilities akin to that of demigods as they grow in age and experience.

Along the way they gain new friends (or enemies), take on jobs and complete contracts and missions for their respective villages where their training and skill will be tested to their limits.

The sky is the limit as the blank page you see before you can be filled with countless of adventures with your character in the game.

This is Ninpocho Chronicles.

Current Ninpocho Chronicles Time:

Etiquette: A Primer [Over]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morishige

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Re: Etiquette: A Primer [Open]

Guess I should have expected that answer. Both the responses I received seemed logical enough and I could live with that. Perhaps it was time to begin training without the use of eyes. But that sounded like a more advanced class that I was too weary to even consider taking. So I sat there like a good boy while Kahako nearby made a silly joke about what scent persuades me. Honestly I had never much been into the opposite sex. Nor did I notice any particular smell they wore that attracted me in any way. While some class mates were focused on the popular girls of the school, I tried to focus on what was important: making my way to graduation. So I just smiled without retort and listened to the next portion of the lecture quietly.

Apologies. Something I had always found hard to do. Basically subjecting yourself to the judgement of the person you were addressing. Hell, the last time I actually apologized to someone was my father for some stupid thing I did that I thought didn't even need an apology. They made me feel uncomfortable. The subject turned my expression into one of minor sourness as he came to a conclusion announcing they were nearing the end and wanted to know if there were any more questions he needed to ask. I personally had none, and was glaring at the others, waiting to see if they were going to waste times with silly questions.

[iNPC: Zaku]

Santaru Rin

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Re: Etiquette: A Primer [Full]

7569393.gif

Tomotoya Jareshu

The students' stamina seemed to be waning, which obviously enhanced Jareshu's chances of surviving to see the end of the day.

"Well, putting that aside. There is more to table etiquette than saying 'itadakimasu' before the meal and 'gochisosama deshita' after. At home, and at some eateries, and even some events, your party may have several dishes of food at the table instead of being served individual portions. You'll have your own plates, as I'm sure you're all accustomed to, except maybe any Inuzuka in here, I don't know about them. The polite thing to do is to use the provided serving utensils to serve yourself small portions. If there aren't serving spoons or chopsticks, use the opposite ends of your own--that is, the ends you're not putting in your mouth.

"If you want to appear like an acceptable member of society, and you don't want to offend your host, here are some basic rules that you should already know. Don't blow your nose at the table. Do not talk about the toilet, about death, or about other typically unpleasant topics. Belching at the table is considered poor manners in Lightning Country, regardless of what those fops in Fire Country and the barbarians in Wind Country do. Eat whatever you are served and finish it--that is why you should only serve yourself small portions at a time. From a social standpoint, most people find it distasteful to watch someone shovel down large portions of food, so be mindful of your table partners. Of course, doing the opposite of these things will annoy or offend, so if that is your goal, pursue it mindfully.

"When you are done with your meal, put the lids back on any covered dishes, put your dishes back into their positions, and place your chopsticks onto the chopstick holder. Spoons should be returned to their saucer or the plate they may have been served with. Knives, if provided, should be placed on the plate or in a safe, obvious position near your entree plate.

"On chopsticks. If you are not using them, lay them down before you with their tips to the left, together. Do not stick your chopsticks into your food and leave them standing--this is considered bad luck because of how it resembles incense placed in rice bowls for funerals. Don't invoke death at the dinner table unless you do want to be offensive, yes? Do not pass your food from your chopsticks to someone else's chopsticks, as this is how cremated bones are handled at funeral rites. Don't spear your food with them, do not point at people with them, don't wave them around, don't play with them. They're not toys. You can fool around at home, but don't embarass yourself and your village in public. Don't move bowls with them or other dishes, either. Do you want to be that guy on the cover of a NeoKonoha tabloid, drinking cheap beer out of an ugly glass that you're holding with disposable chopsticks? Because those writers won't say nice things about you, not at all."

He glanced at the boys. Sadly, they were the most likely to be completely abysmal at eating like anything but apes. Actually, given the silent behavior of the resident class primate, that was doing the beasts a disservice.

"Lastly, wait until your host offers you food to eat. Wait until the most senior individual has begun to eat before you eat. These are issues of respect. Even dogs understand this basic etiquette.

"Many of these issues are about sanitation, some are cultural taboos based on funeral customs, and others are issues of hospitality. Drinking etiquette is largely about hospitality and about rank, and as drinking is something you will all likely experience as part of your professional lives, it is an important facet of your education. Once upon a time, there was no minimum drinking age, and children often had weak or small portions of alcohol along with adults. These days, the nattering nabobs of nannyism have decreed that allowing people your age to partake and learn about liquor is terribly irresponsible and will turn you all into ravening lunatics incapable of earning a living. To each his own, I suppose.

"Drinking with your team and with your superiors is extremely common and practically expected. If your seniors invite you out for a drink, to decline would be gauche. This is an opportunity for you to learn more about what they do for when you inevitably take over their roles, so go. You can learn a great deal about people when they are inebriated. You can also learn a great deal about yourself from the experience.

"Now, it is rude to pour for yourself when you are out with company. Your drinking partner will pour for you out of hospitality; you should reciprocate. It is the honor and duty of subordinates to order and pour drinks and make sure everyone's glasses are full. You should keep an eye on your neighbors to make sure that they are filled up. If you are not a heavy drinker yourself, you should leave your cup or glass mostly full--your partners will keep insisting on filling it, which is natural and normal in these situations. The more you protest, the harder they will try to pour for you.

"The correct way to pour is to hold the bottle or tokkuri with one hand at the neck and the other under the foot, or bottom. The person you are pouring for should hold their cup in two hands after completing the drink. Then you pour, and then they reciprocate by pouring for you in the same fashion.

"The most senior individual at the gathering is typically expected to pay--this goes double for Jounin, captains, and other senior individuals. This is an important social ritual and one you might find yourself regularly involved in. There are few better legal ways of increasing a team's cameraderie than this.

"There are other social rituals to observe, of course, including giving and receiving payment and gifts. Money should be passed and accepted with two hands--this dignifies the exchange and symbolizes that something of value is being offered and accepted. To do anything less suggests that you think little of the giver and the payment. The same follows for gifts.

"If you receive a gift, you do not have to open it in the presence of the giver, though you may--either is fine. It is also acceptable to refuse a gift, especially if it comes with a sense of obligation--that is, to provide a gift with equivalent value. You may hear of legends about increasingly extravagant gifts exchanged between lords and other figures, just like there are urban legends about unending perpetual bowing and other foolishness meant to elevate the giver's humility or generosity over the receiver. Treating an exchange of this sort as a competition typically demeans the participants and the ritual, so pay attention to what you do.

"If you visit someone at their home, it is common practice to bring a gift along, especially in whatever it was wrapped in. Say something like 'this is but a trifle' when you offer the gift, even if it's something ridiculously valuable, like a fist-sized, flawless diamond. In professional matters where you offer a gift, however, you should say something like 'this is only a symbol of my appreciation, but please accept it,' as this expresses more dignity and also gratitude towards the person you are gifting. If your host offers something in return, a polite refusal is 'please don't go through the trouble,' but if the host asks again, graciously accept.

"The principle is to be modest when offering a gift and hesitant to receive one--in both ways, you express humility and gratitude. Pretend the gift is too much to receive if you are offered one.

"The most appropriate time, socially, to offer a gift is privately. Additionally, if a gift is wrapped in black or white, this symbolizes death. If the gift is wrapped in red or gold, that is auspicious. The gift itself can also send many messages, so be thoughtful when giving and cautiously analytical when receiving--you never know what someone might be trying to tell you."
The next round will be the last official round of the class!

Kaoru

Yen
ASP
Deaths

Kaoru scribbled down the last of her notes for the class. She couldn't believe that the time had gone by so fast. She learned many new concepts in this class and was planning to definitely use them in the future. She stood up and did a deep bow while still in position she said "Thank you for teaching Sensei" She got up and sat back down, She had a feeling deep inside her that she just had to thank him for teaching so well.

Yukari

Yen
ASP
Deaths

Hikari didn't have any questions. She listened and took notes. Watching the other students as they absorbed the information, Zaku seemed bored stiff. Well, etiquette and Zaku. She smiled at the thought. The girl, Kaoru seemed particularly receptive to the teaching. Kahako seemed to itch for freedom. Hikari wasn't bored, she just felt out of place. Not above, but aside. It was a momentary feeling of no real substance, but still there. Outside, a shadow playing across the window caught her eye. She shook her head and went back to her notes. It was end of class jitters. That was all. She scratched her head and twirled a lock of hair til her finger was wrapped in it. Then Sensei began to lecture on drinking- somehow simultaniously complaining- and mentioned "The nattering nabobs of nannyism" Hikari covered her mouth as she giggled, and he recommended drinking with ones team as a way to get to know one another and ones self. She considered that tidbit of information and turned it over in her mind. It sounded just as much like foolishness as wisdom. Perhaps in some instances the two crossed paths.

She thought of the gifts she'd given and recieved, realizing that they had mostly come from her parents or other relatives. Colors blurred. She couldn't remember or reconstruct a particular feeling that they had given outside of familial love... Well, she did remember one thing her father had recieved from a customer who had been grateful for his assistance. Very prettily wrapped. She remembered reds in that. It had been long ago.

When Sensei said "The principle is to be modest when offering a gift and hesitant to receive one--in both ways, you express humility and gratitude. Pretend the gift is too much to receive if you are offered one." Seemed like one of those things everyone said and no one practiced, to Hikari, but who was she in the world of ninja, but a babe? She knew she had much to learn. Perhaps among Shinobi and kunoichi it mattered more, the color and wrapping, than the actual gift?

Hikari sketched down the meanings of the colors and whatnot that sensei had mentioned, and wondered if the library- her favorite haunt- had any books on the subject...

Morishige

Yen
ASP
Deaths

The amount of silly rules in Lightning Country society is TOO DAMN HIGH!

I thought as the Sensei began with his lecture on table manners, which surprisingly, I knew most of. My mother had done well enough with my raising to instill in me the basics of what Jareshu sensei was preaching to us. The guy sure was particular about this subject. I had to wonder just what made him so...picky about this traditional stuff. He had really given no clues in his speech. So, I was left with assumptions which were outlandish and silly and made me smile. But think that drinking had so many rules was surprising to me. But I myself had never been in a very formal setting, or never really paid attention in one, so this was all new to me. He mentioned that kids used to have minor drinks and I tilted my head. The most I ever got at home was a taste and I quickly spat it out. It all tasted awful to me. Would it be disrespectful to not drink at all?

"Jareshu-Sensei!" I said while standing. "What if you do not wish to drink at all? How would you reply to your drinking partners?" I asked.

After he had answered, he moved onto gifts and money and how one should show respect through modesty and humility. It was all lies really, but if it made life in Kumo work, why not? It was all a way to make yourself look better; nothing wrong with that. Gift giving especially-- showing off your money through feigned appreciation is what it sounded like to me. Perhaps our Sensei had been wronged in all these different types of etiquette and set out to teach the youth of Kumo so that he might not be wronged again when he is in his old age. Who knows eh?

Yoshinaga Miyako

Yen
ASP
Deaths

Miya continued to write as many notes as needed. She was not particularly crazy about taking notes, but she may need the information later. Even as just a review, it may prove useful. She could sense the end of class coming and she was so ready. She wanted to stretch her legs and go for a run. Then perhaps head over to the library. There were many things that she didn't know and she wanted to read up on some things. Yawning lightly, she glanced out the window, enjoying the sight of the snow. Snow was amazingly beautiful to her. She looked back to the teacher, waiting for him to continue. She hoped things ended soon, the class seemed to drag to her.

Santaru Rin

Yen
ASP
Deaths

7569393.gif

Tomotoya Jareshu

"Thank you for asking that question... I will get to refusals and rejections. Just know that if you cover your cup or refuse drink, your partners are likely to redouble their efforts to get you drunk. Sometimes, if you don't want to do something, it's best to avoid calling attention to yourself by saying 'no.' Just like in this class--those who don't want to participate say nothing, do nothing, and are generally inert. That tactic will let you slide by, but you will not get the most out of the situation, and wallflowers are typically overlooked when it comes to interesting events and assignments," Jareshu answered. Zaku's question had prompted him to recall the next part of the class... It was nearly time for them to be done. One day less of 'community service' to look forward to.

"If you want to make it easier for someone to refuse you; in fact, if you want them to refuse you, you can offer them ways out by phrasing requests or orders as suggestions--that is, be indirect. This allows the other person to offer a polite refusal. You might do this if what you're offering really is inconvenient for you, or if you want to trap someone in a refusal. Keigo is another way to soften your language and make requests easier to decline. On the opposite side of the coin, keigo--polite language--will also soften the blow when you decline to do or receive something.

"Some refusals you might use are things like 'I'm sorry' followed by 'I don't drink alcohol,' haha, 'now isn't a good time,' 'I'm busy tomorrow,' 'I don't really like x,' 'I'm not interested, thank you,' 'I am full,' 'x is a little bit...' and so forth. 'You shouldn't have,' 'this is too much,' as well. These are relatively gentle and polite ways of refusing something. Another method is to ignore suggestions and requests if someone else is present, especially if you were already speaking to that person. Just be careful using this tactic, as you might gain a reputation for being a frigid person. You can always blame timing, claim a prior commitment or conflicting responsibility, shift the blame for your refusal on to something outside of your control, or say something like 'it can't be helped.'"

He cleared his throat. "For dealing with superiors... A way to ingratiate yourself early is to say something like 'please take care of me' or 'please be kind to me' when you start out on a new team or job. Always be excruciatingly polite with your clients unless you receive direct orders to the contrary. Do not be That Genin. Watch your body language. You should appear attentive--do not play with things in your pockets or your weapons, don't put your fingers in your mouth, don't rest your head in your hands or cross your arms. These things signal that you are bored, that you don't respect or believe whomever might be addressing you, that you're defensive, or that you are simply weak and stupid. You do not want to give the appearance of any of these things, no matter how true they may be.

"These rules and sayings seem burdensome, but many of you practice them unthinkingly every day--when you excuse yourself, when you hold open a door, when you assist your mothers or grandmothers with lifting and carrying. These social rituals help you fit in, they reinforce the things which you hold in common with other members of society, and in a manner of speaking, glue us all together and help us live comfortably and work together well. This 'politesse' is important--you might think of it is 'intolerance of discomfort'--the goal is to avoid causing others unhappiness and to complete your duties. It is not unusual to feel imprisoned by our society... One of self-denial, obedience to authority, and intense personal privacy combined with courtesy rituals practiced even by criminals and traitors.

"You may be thinking... 'What a pack of lies it all is!' Of course it is. All conversation is lying, that is the art of conversation. Perhaps you might tell someone the truth--but the truth does not make good conversation. Perhaps you can agree, or perhaps you might argue over it, but it is not conversation. Courtesy costs you nothing but a little extra time, and what's a moment compared to years of potential resentment?

"And with that, you will all be relieved to hear, we are done for today. It was a great deal of information for one lecture, so if you only remember one or two things, call it acceptable. Please gather your things and make sure you leave nothing behind, or the next class will probably find and destroy it. If you have any questions, feel free to ask, but you are dismissed." Jareshu took the opportunity to sit down and kick his feet up on the desk. He had another incoming class in about ten minutes, which was too long to sit around but too short to actually do anything.
OOC said:
Thanks to those of you who kept up! Everyone can take this class as credit for exams when they are offered again. Don't forget to write your RP exit from the topic--and don't forget the word count minimum!

If by chance you are able to receive other (battle-related) rewards from this class, here are scores (roughly based on # of rounds posted in):
5 - Hikari, Kaoru
4 - Shisou, Kahako
3 - Yoshinaga, Kuma
2 - Eji

Yoshinaga Miyako

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Miya jotted down a few other quick notes and smiled when the teacher said they were dismissed. She quickly packed her things. Pushing her hair back out of her eyes, she stood and approached the teacher. She bowed to him, in a respectful manner, "Thank you so much, Tomotoya-sensei. I have learned a lot in this class and I will keep everything you have taught us in mind to be as respectful as I can." When she straightened up from her bow, she smiled brightly at Tomotoya-sensei.

She then turned on her heel and headed out the class door to the hall. Once she made it out to the hall she secured her small bag to her shoulder and bent down to stretch. She had waited a long time for this run. She didn't bother to pull her hair back; she loved the wind in her hair. She smiled to herself and started a light jog through the halls of the school, making her way out. When she made it outside, she quickened her speed, headed to her predetermined destination. The Bibliotheca Conscientiae. She wanted to learn more.
[Topic Left]​

Izumi Kuma

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Kuma wrote down everything that Tomoyato-Sensei had said about the proper way to sit with your host at dinner. Inna had fallen asleep by now, but her grip around Kuma's neck was strong. Kuma didn't have any questions on this proper etiquette, though some students had a questions it looked like or that they said thanks for teaching. Finally the sensei said to all that the class was free to leave. Kuma picked up his notebook and other supplies and stood up. Walked to the desk and bowed the bow he did when he apologized at the beginning of class.

"Thank you very much for taking the time to teach us today Sensei. I learned a lot and I am sorry for not saying much or participating. I also thank you for letting Inna stay in the classroom with me. I hope to see you later down the road, have a great day." Kuma said.

After that he took toward the door, he was going to head back to his grandparents house to give details on what he had learned. He thought it was a great day of learning and was happy to make friends.

[Topic Left]

Yen
ASP
Deaths
The class was wearing on, and it was taking a toll on Shisou’s emotional psyche. All of these wonderful social lessons were scribed into Shisou’s skin at an early age by his father. Day after day, Shinji had drilled these few lessons into Shisou’s head, sometimes with a blade into the skin. It had been a form of torture, even if it had been effective. So having to sit here and endure another lecture about etiquette, Shisou thought that he had the mental powers to get over his past; Shisou had overestimated his strength of mind. So Shisou sat stock still and just allowed the words the teacher was speaking to flow through his ears, not really absorbing it but always listening.

Though no one could really tell, Shisou just sat catatonic in his seat, hoping for the moment he could escape to work through his pain with some training. If anyone looked, Shisou could be seen shivering slightly, but his face was set with determination, he would not give up.

EDIT:

Then it was over before Shisou even realized it, and then he got up from his seat. Class was over, but it was time for a proper exit. He bowed deeply to his sensei, "Goodbye Tomotoya-sensei, and I hope that you have a long and prosperous life until I see you next, if I see you next. Thank you for your tutelage in this matter, it has been very revealing." After that, Shisou righted himself and then left the class.

[Topic Exit]

Shinrya Kahako

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Kahako didn’t write anything down as the class came to a close. Why write down what you already know, right? As she sat and listened to the sensei, her mind wandered lightly, the letter of response already written up in her head. Maybe she’ll have time to write it and send it out before her training with Satou began? ‘Probably’ she thought. She hadn’t seen him in a while after all.

As Tomotoya-sensei called the class to a close, Kahako sighed and stood up. She made the appropriate bow. “Thank you for this class, Sensei,” she simply said. Turning to Zaku and Hikari she smiled, “I’ll see you two later. I have a letter to write.” She waited long enough for a response and waved, “Nice meeting you Hikari.” With that she hurried out of class. Quickly heading to the door, she didn’t notice her letter slip from the folds of the notebook at the side. It slid to the floor beside the desk nearest the door and almost out of sight. But she was too focused on finding the nearest postal building to hear the hard tap of paper hitting the floor. Walking down the halls and out of the building, Kahako took up a light jog to the shopping district.

((OOC: In case anyone sees it, picks it up, and wants to read it:))
Kaha-chan,
Looks like you’ve lost again, daughter mine. You really should listen to your cousin when she tells you you’ll never win against your lovely mother. I’ll have the cleaning supplies ready for when you visit.~ None the less, nothing much has changed since you left. Business is still moving even though the danger of being so close to Port Cirrus looms over our head. How is Kumogakure? You’re behaving for your aunt, right? What is your favorite place so far? Have you gotten to meet the Raikage yet? Any prospective husbands in sight? I ran into your father today. You should start up a correspondence with him, dear. I’m sure he would like that. Well, the restaurant isn’t going to keep itself.

Take care and stay safe.

[Topic Left]

Kaoru

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Kaoru wrote down the last of her notes and got up on her way out she saw a girl named Kahako run out of the room on the floor she saw an envelope. She slowly opened it and read it. Kaoru felt slightly guilty afterwards but thought that the letter was sweet she suspected it was for a family member. She ran up to Kahako, Kaoru had always been fast so it was a easy feat. "Excuse me Higa-san you dropped this. Well I'll see you around" Kaoru turned to run down the corridor she was torn between going home or to the library to study. She finally decided to head to the library I wonder what kind of things I'll learn there? she thought

Morishige

Yen
ASP
Deaths

I would need to make it a habit of practicing such things when I was at home, especially around my mother. Boy would she get a kick out of it.

I stood up and looked to Jareshu and bowed like I had been directed to make up for my lack of one earlier in the class. For a proper fool, he wasn't half bad.

I took my leave to the hallway to go find some food. I was hungry and no one was going to stop me from my self given mission.

-Topic Left-

Yukari

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Hikari stood up, bowed and took her leave. She stretched her back. No kid wants to be cooped up in a classroom when there is a bright world waiting. She collected her things then ambled out of the classroom with a lazy smile. It was nearly lunch time and Hikari could feel her stomach growling already. After lunch she planned on going for a walk in the wooded area near the training area. She needed to work on her coordination and what better way to do that than run along branches for a couple hours in her free time? She waved to Zaku as they went their separate ways, and to Kahako who she'd only just started talking with. She wondered when the next time she would see the girl would be, then let her mind wander back to the day outside. It was unseasonably warm. The perfect day for a run in the woods.

[topic left]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Current Ninpocho Chronicles Time:

Back