Ninpocho Chronicles

Ninpocho Chronicles is a fantasy-ish setting storyline, set in an alternate universe World of Ninjas, where the Naruto and Boruto series take place. This means that none of the canon characters exists, or existed here.

Each ninja starts from the bottom and start their training as an Academy Student. From there they develop abilities akin to that of demigods as they grow in age and experience.

Along the way they gain new friends (or enemies), take on jobs and complete contracts and missions for their respective villages where their training and skill will be tested to their limits.

The sky is the limit as the blank page you see before you can be filled with countless of adventures with your character in the game.

This is Ninpocho Chronicles.

Current Ninpocho Chronicles Time:

Gate Duty 72837

Yukari

Yen
ASP
Deaths
C-Rank: Gate Duty 72837
Brief description: Hikari and Zaku have been assigned gate duty. Little do they know something unexpected is going to happen when they are patrolling the outer wall! What you ask? Bear attack!
Combat: RP fight against a bear.

Participants: Zaku and Hikari

She'd woken early. Hours earlier than she'd planned. Morning was still but a distant thought. A star beyond the edge of the horizon. Her skin prickled, but not at the cold. Indeed, her rooms were warm and comfortable, while she was anything but. There was some sort of memory buzzing at her thoughts, it was strange to her, as if it weren't her mind recalling the experience. She looked around slowly, her hair fanned about her pillows, her body spread out over the blanket. She noted that she'd worn normal night clothes, but had no memory of changing for bed. The feeling began to fade a bit, almost like a dream, but more like a predator. That was when she remembered the shinobi from Hoshikagure, and the sand. And the sound of something otherworldly echoing through her mind. Curiously enough, the last thing she remembered was Zaku's presence. "What?" She grunted, "Why am I dreaming about him?" She snorted, and got out of bed.

At this hour, if she were going to be awake- for she knew she would not fall alseep again- she thought she should at least get something to eat. Especially since she had gate duty in what passed for the rest of the world as morning. She made sure to have something warm, and then headded out the door, intent on being early. She chuckled to herself, "Maybe I'll get there before Mr. Early-pants-Zaku." For once.

Around the time the sun's first rays peeked over the horizon, she arrived at Dragon Tooth Pass. The architecture was weird, old. The scarring on the weathered rock around the rock indicated something once punched through it. In addition there was more recent work, and, of course, the gates. When she arrived, she looked around for Zaku- A big part of her felt obscenely smug for being there before him, this time, and had the oddest desire to rub it in- Needless to say, she just grinned sillily, and reported for duty.

Morishige

Yen
ASP
Deaths
I awoke with a start, to what must have been the creepiest ending to a dream in my entire life. I didn't even want to think if it had really happened like that. If I were to delve into that kind of questioning, surely only more mystery would form and my unquenchable curiosity would drive me mad. So I quickly distracted myself, the dream constantly taunting my conscious mind to give it some focus. Of course, there was no way I wasn't going to not think about it, but I could hold off until getting to my job for the day to talk to someone who was directly involved. Surely she would know how to interpret such a vivid and freaky dream. Hopefully nothing exciting would happen during gate duty as to interrupt us.

We were slated for shift in the morning, and the mornings in Kumogakure were quite brisk. So I had on one of my regular sweatshirts with regular ninja garb underneath. However, with careful attention, I left my weapons and materials in places where I could reach them easily. Especially my trusty old kunai I was given in my first year at the academy. Probably my only real good memory from that year, though I can't quite remember the a lot of it anyways.

Preparation aside, my mouth hung slightly agape when I noticed that Hikari had actually beaten me to our assigned location. It was followed by a intense glare of rivalry that which I did not care whether she saw or not. I hurried my pace to meet up with her, a hand in the air. "Yo there, Hikari!" I called out. I wasn't quite sure what she was going to say, given her silly grin I had witnessed before hand, so I figured I should cut in with a comment of my own. "Tired of getting beat eh? Had to wake up at the ungodly hour to JUST to beat me." I teased, trying to make the situation into one that I could actually win. It would be hard, but if I used the right words, it was possible.

Whether she responded or not, I would pull out our orders from my pocket and review what our exact jobs were. We were to travel along the wall and look for signs of infiltration or lack of defense. But I was pretty sure they gave the same exact orders to each guard, so I assumed it was basically walk around till we were relieved.

Yukari

Yen
ASP
Deaths
When Zaku arrived he looked like he'd had no better a night than she had, and that was before he started glaring at her... squinting... she wasn't sure if he was mad at her for beating him, or unable to see through the blazing splendor that was... Hikari... She snickered at the thought, then looked behind her to make sure he wasn't looking at someone or something else. It might have been funny. Alas, the only thing behind her was the gate. And it was boring. Not at all funny. Come to think of it, the look on his face had been more like a glare than a smirk.

The difference being, she'd used the early wake-up to her advantage. "Ahh, Zaku-kun, you look like you had a rough night! Personally, I had a... creepy dream. You were in it." She winked, "So, no wonder it was weird. It woke me up." She sobered for a minute, "You alright...? You look like... Did you dream last night?" She asked. There was this weird feeling that made her think he might have shared the dream with her. Crap that'd be weird. This whole day was gonna be one bizarre moment after another, wasn't it? She sighed.

"So..." She watched as he pulled out their orders, "Guard duty." She said, "We'd best get to it, hadn't we?" She gestured toward the gate. "Let's go protect the village from the evils of fence hopping ninja." She said gesturing. "What do you think of Do Natsu?" She asked, in case he didn't want to talk about the dream, or- more likely- if he had no memory of any dream with creepy Hoshi nin, and murders, and battle.

She yawned, and looked around. Nothing but blue skies and bluffs. This was a rocky area... She shrugged, for some reason having expected to see something. What, you ask? Evil ninja invaders- no no, more like animals. Maybe a creepy Nian-like bunny rabbit bent on coating all the world's carrots in jelly and a dark colored candy coating. Maybe a normal bunny... or a fox, or a bird... The skies were oddly empty for such a clear morning outside Kumogakure. Hikari noted these things and filed them in what she had begun to call 'the fairly odd folder', but thought little more on them than that.

Morishige

Yen
ASP
Deaths
The moment she mentioned the creepy dream with me in it, I kind of froze in thought. It was impossible for two people to have the same dream, or so i had previously thought. We had spent alot of time together as a team lately, so each other frequenting the dream realm wasn't uncommon. However, to have her call it creepy made my paranoia run rampant. It seemed that I was so out of it we spent some time in silence before she brought me back to earth by a question that only made things worse. I wished for my lips to move, to tell her that I too dreamed something so vivid I questioned it's reality. To let her know that she was apart of it, and that the way I awoke was something different entirely. But all I could muster was "Yea... I did, you were there too..." I commented, trailing off into thought as she brought us back on track with our duties.

"Guard duty." She said, "We'd best get to it, hadn't we?"

"Yes!" I said, snapping to attention. It wasn't likely we would run into any kind of dangers on patrol, but one had to be ready. As we began our route, she posed the question about Natsu, the leader of our most recent mission. This topic served as a wonderful distraction from the dream; Hikari did well in choosing it.

"Well he seems very sure of his abilities. Though, it's not quite how I imagined things going under the command from someone else. He is very keen to our input, something I definitely didn't suspect." I admitted, pressing a finger against my chin in thought. Just for a few moments, I allowed myself to look around before continuing. Hikari yawned, which only made me smile as well. "In the end, he's quite capable and I wouldn't mind working under him again." I concluded with a confident nod.

Unfortunately, I was not as astute as she was. The thoughts of the dream returned to my mind and I retreated into the recess of my mind to put forward a statement that would plunge us into a conversation about it.

SNAP! CRUNCH!

"Hikari --" I began, turning when I heard the sounds of approaching danger. Raising to it's hind legs, a massive grizzly bear let out an immense, deafening bellow. My first reaction was reaching for my kunai, though it wouldn't give me any true protection against such a beast. My next move was to step in front of Hikari, though that was more of a reaction than decision. "Looks like today will be more fun than we thought. Game plan?" I questioned. At this point, I wasn't quite sure how it was going to react....

Yukari

Yen
ASP
Deaths
His responses were somewhat short. For a moment, she wondered if she’d said anything to offend him, but he snapped to when she said they should get to work, and she figured he was just distracted. Maybe the dream… She thought about asking, but decided to continue with the change of subject.

"Well he seems very sure of his abilities. Though, it's not quite how I imagined things going under the command from someone else. He is very keen to our input, something I definitely didn't suspect." He looked around, and she yawned. Perhaps a remnant of her fatigue from not getting enough sleep. "In the end, he's quite capable and I wouldn't mind working under him again." I concluded with a confident nod.

“Indeed. I thought things went a little rough, but it was to be expected.” She remembered the riot he incited and the jerk who tried to assault her but got more than he bargained for. “It was our first mission together. Good thing we’re used to working together though, or else it might have been worse.” She winked. She began to feel anxious. That sixth sense of hers, so to speak, acting up again. She listened intently, perhaps visibly, before they both heard it. The telltale sounds of something large nearby. She spun, pulling out her hammer and calling upon her chakra.

“Zaku-“
“Hikari-“ They began at once as they saw it; a great grizzly; an uncommon beast with both size and aggressiveness to its merit. It bellowed, and Hikari felt her hair being blown back with great force. She gripped the hammer, and before she could do anything, her comrade in arms stepped before her, much to her annoyance. "Looks like today will be more fun than we thought. Game plan?" He asked, uncertain.
Hikari frowned, and stepped beside him, “Zaku, we’re both ninja. I didn’t join the military to be protected. Game plan…” She looked up at the bear, “Well-“ She hear something nearby. It sounded like snorting and wailing. “She’s a big one. But, do you hear that? Probably a baby.” She said, “Bears with cubs are dangerous. I suggest we-“ She faltered. Her best idea was to hit the beast over the head… Of all the things to gain a soft spot for, of course I pick a bear that wants to eat my face.
The bear roared again, and fell on all fours, ears pinned back, she snarled and advanced on them. “Look, lady-“ She said calmly, pointing at the female, “I’m not interested in hurting your cub, so I suggest you get back to foraging.” The mother bear continued bellowing aggressively, but stopped moving forward.

“I’d rather not kill her.” She said with chagrin even as she held her position next to him. She didn’t know what they’d do instead, just that she would hate hurting this mother too badly. “But we have to force her away from the wall. If she thinks this is a good place for her cub to find food, she needs to learn that it’s not.” She looked over at him for confirmation, or- she rather hoped- a better plan.

[mft]
[527 words]

Morishige

Yen
ASP
Deaths
I could only nod my head at her conclusion of the mission. If we were complete strangers and working together for the first time, who knew how that would have went. If Hikari would have been anyone with a greedy touch, then it's possible I could have been dead due to some trap I didn't know about. Good to have her around it was. Funny cause of what was just about to happen...

Of course, I couldn't see her frown when I was starring at the beast before me. She voiced her concern and I realized what I had done. I rolled my eyes and shook my head. "Fine then, you take point." I said in a haughty tone. And she did so with vigor. Hikari's sense were much more aware then my own, as I was worrying about the giant beast before us. Hikari began with her plan, but halted for some reason. In her moment of hesitation, my own thoughts were coming to mind. "A baby bear eh... A formidable ally that would be if I could train it..." And such a thought brings a plan to kill the mother and take over the position of provider. With a small chuckle, I heard her speak to the bear as if it would understand. "She might not..." I said with a smirk.

But Hikari didn't want to hurt poor mama bear, which complicated things. How was I going to get my own baby bear if the mother wasn't going to die. "It would be alot easier if we would just kill her..." I suggested. "But if you are sure you don't want to, then we needs to want to leave and take her cub away. From what I remember bears don't really have any natural enemies so we can't conjure that up. Pain usually is a good motivator... I suppose it might go to it's cub if it's under distress? I don't know, but we need to decide. Make your decision." I commented, ready to roll when I needed to. Normally one would just play dead with the giant thing. But I was a ninja and wouldn't be so passive in this situation, especially when their was a potential prize to be had.

Yukari

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Zaku was leaning toward killing her, but Hikari knew a bit from her studies about the animals of Lightning country- it never hurt to be prepared- Bears took years to mature. Mothers took care of their young for two to three years, and they only had one to two cubs every four to five years. Killing this momma would prevent more babies, and whatnot. Besides, she had an idea, "Momma bears are mean when they feel their babies are threatened. Aside from that, they do have natural enemies, just not predators. Males of the species are known to kill cubs.”

She grinned at him, “Remember that thing you did to the guard back at the capital? Do the same thing here, only put the image of a big male bear where we are, and make him look irritated, but not aggressive.” She commanded. “She should move to avoid the male unless he threatens her cub… or she finds your illusion utterly irresistible and decides he’s far too handsome to pass up... But that won’t happen!” The bear snorted and huffed, moving toward the pair menacingly, “If it doesn’t work, we’ll try plan B.”

Morishige

Yen
ASP
Deaths
I rolled my eyes. That feeling of boredom in class was back again, only with the mother looming in front of us, waiting for some signal to attack no doubt. Hikari grinned and I knew she had come up with an idea. She even joked a little about the plan, but I was already pondering the jutsu. I had never used it on an animal before, and I didn't quite know how they perceive the world. Hopefully, when I cast the genjutsu, things would look the same to the bear as it did to us. "Welp, it's better than a non lethal plan I could come up with I spose." I admitted. I began the furious motions of the handseals -- speed was something I was trying to master these days -- and then targeted her hoping for quick results.

As she seemed about ready to charge forward, her manner changed and she retreated defensively, checking the position of her cub. "It seems to be working..." I said softly. Trying to imitate a bear as if he were protecting some place, trying to push her away. The adult female slowly retreated to a distance where I felt safe, so I didn't let the fake bear move beyond that. It was sooner than later than the duo of true bears bounded off in the direction of both their safety, and our own-- basically, away from the village.

I cancelled the jutsu and took a deep breath. With a smile I gave Hikari a thumbs up, "You could be a tactician you know. Why don't we go finish our rounds and grab some food?" I questioned.

Yukari

Yen
ASP
Deaths
As she spoke the glazed look of one who has heard too many lectures and yet not heard a single one, appeared on Zaku's face. She got to the point and he went along with it. She couldn't see the bear Zaku had conjured, but she could tell by the wariness in the lady bear's eyes that 'he' was not irresistable. It's for the best, Zaku, She thought, Bear love might be more than you can handle. Hikari almost snorted with laughter at the thought. In fact- as Hikari had predicted- the bear backed away cautiously, and ran off with her cub. The red haired genin turned to her companion as he canceled his jutsu and grinned.

Zaku turned to her and gave her a thumbs up, which she returned, as he said "You could be a tactician you know. Why don't we go finish our rounds and grab some food?"

The compliment was unexpected, but her ego was already booming today, for whatever reason. So, Hikari chuckled and winked at him. Then she decided to tease. "Food food. Didn't you eat this morning?" She laughed. And of course, unexpectedly, her stomach decided that it would voice its own opinion. It rumbled loudly. "Well... I suppose breakfast was quite a while ago." She scratched her head . "You're right, let's get this done."

Morishige

Yen
ASP
Deaths
"Sheesh that was hours ago! Dontcha know about second breakfast?" I said with a quirky smile.

And like clockwork, her stomach growled signifying that her body wanted what her words were protesting...in a sense.

"Indeed it is! LETS GO!" I cheered and bounded toward the point in which we were to turn in for our completion of task.

[Topic Left. Mission Completed]

Yukari

Yen
ASP
Deaths
"Second breakfast, pfh. I thought hobbits were fictional." She said and stuck her tongue out at him and his quirky smirk.

At her tummy’s admission that she was hungrier than she let on, he cheered, "Indeed it is! LETS GO!" and bounded off, toward the end point of the patrol. Hikari shrugged, and trotted off after him, making sure to take a good look around as she did.

She grinned at the gate guards still on duty, and saluted as she jogged back into the village.

[Topic left: Mission complete]

Current Ninpocho Chronicles Time:

Back