Ninpocho Chronicles

Ninpocho Chronicles is a fantasy-ish setting storyline, set in an alternate universe World of Ninjas, where the Naruto and Boruto series take place. This means that none of the canon characters exists, or existed here.

Each ninja starts from the bottom and start their training as an Academy Student. From there they develop abilities akin to that of demigods as they grow in age and experience.

Along the way they gain new friends (or enemies), take on jobs and complete contracts and missions for their respective villages where their training and skill will be tested to their limits.

The sky is the limit as the blank page you see before you can be filled with countless of adventures with your character in the game.

This is Ninpocho Chronicles.

Current Ninpocho Chronicles Time:

Grab Your Scrubs And Follow Me [Tutor][Kiri]

Osuteno

Yen
ASP
Deaths
853kCPJ.jpg

Osu waited at the front desk since they hadn't found him a new office yet. Even though he was relaxing in a yukata rather than scrubs and a coat like most doctors no one among the staff viewed it as out of place. Nurses came by with a constant stream of "Osuteno-Sensei?" and he flipped through charts, authorized forms and prescribed medications with smooth and practiced pen strokes, all the while reading a book about cardiology. He had been doing this since he was nine after all. Goodness it had been more than six years since he came in here as a first time MiT. And now he was getting to show one the ropes today, poor guy might get overwhelmed at first if Osu didn't help him out. He kept glancing to the entrance seeing if any of the people walking in was Kiri.

Osu looked to the nurse working the front desk beside him. "Ito-San do you happen to have our new MiT's identity pass handy?"

"It's right here Osuteno-Sensei." Osu took the lanyard from the nurse and took a look at the picture. No none of these were him... well it wasn't time for him quite yet.

"And the preparations I asked for?"

"They are all prepared as you asked."

Osu nodded. There was a lot of ground to cover when one first joined the hospital and the sooner they could figure out which of the long, long, long paths Kiri wanted to take his studies the sooner and more proficiently they could set him down that path... It should be about time for him.

Kiri

Yen
ASP
Deaths
dEACN5a.jpg
He contemplated on whether to put on his cape or not, but he decided not to in the end. After all, he’ll be entering the hospital and it was best to be spick and span, and not bring any germs with him. Though he was still not entirely used to the weather in Kumogakure, hence his ragged cape was handy for that, especially since he wasn’t the cool-weather person, he would have to make do without it for today. Thus, he felt almost naked without it. Too exposed that he was uncomfortable. So he ended up looking at the full-length mirror in his room just to make sure he didn’t look bad.

He shouldn’t have.

A sigh escaped his lips as his worries disappeared and it was but self-control that stopped him from slapping himself silly. Of course, the reflection would not be his. It was his inner demon, the Cursed Beast of Ruin – his brother, Ryu – in all his misty, plated ensemble of a demonic wolf that looked back at him. This was part of the curse of his clan… ex-clan. He had long been exiled from the Hasegawas of Konohagakure, and cast away the name. While others in his clan would be overjoyed at the day they would find the reflection of their fated beast, his was a tragic one, to only have the cursed beast of ruin, an omen worth his death. He was just fortunate he lived.

But no longer would he allowed his fate to be written by the laws of the land. He’ll make a life for himself and with freedom. Which is why he was to go to the hospital that day, so that he could finally start his journey to become a medical practitioner, change his image, help curb the aggressive tendencies and to prove that his beast was not a misfortune, but a blessing.

“Were you expecting something?” the beast’s voice echoed in his head as it tilted its head in the reflection.

“Why did I bother to get this mirror again?” sighed Kiri as he turned around in a defeated manner, walking towards the door to his small apartment room.

“Don’t worry, you look fitting enough. Now let’s get to cutting people.”

“We’re not cutting people,” said Kiri as he closed the door behind, “At least not yet, anyway. I think. And can you please calm down. Go wild in a battle, but not when I’m supposed to be studying for medicine.”

“Boring. Oh well, I’ll just be here waiting as always.” And as the voice became silent within him, Kiri started on a run towards the direction of the hospital.

He knew it. He felt awkward without the cape trailing behind him as he set foot into the hospital. And now, the lights, the ambiance of the place was rather overbearing. He still could not forget about the isolation he lived in his life, so that was one of the things he needed to work out, especially if he was planning to become a medical ninja.

He quickly went towards the reception area, standing behind the line as some patients were there. He looked around as he waited for his turn and caught sight a person who seemed rather out of place – gentle-looking and in a yukata. For a moment, he would lock eyes with the other until he realised that the line was gone and so he proceeded towards the front desk, standing right in front of the man that caught his fancy. Fortunately, despite the curiosity, he found his voice.

“Good morning. I’m here to meet with an instructor. My name is Kiri.”

[MFT: 611]

Osuteno

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Osuteno spotted the MIT he was looking for... taller than he was expecting. He locked eyes with him and was curious why he was waiting in line for the nurse beside him but simply waited for him to come up front.

He smiled as Kiri came up and introduced himself. Not simply because he was polite but Osu felt it was a bit funny the guy was asking after an instructor.

"Certainly wouldn't think it were me either." Osu thought to himself and an inward chuckle.

"It is a pleasure to meet you Kiri," Osu said while standing up. "I am Chigokai Osuteno, Mednin and your instructor. Catch."

Osu tossed Kiri the lanyard we held and nodded towards it. "Use the lanyard, the pin on it or take the card out and put it in your wallet, whatever you want. But don't lose that card. As an MiT it won't get you in everywhere, particularly if it isn't your department, but it gets you into the break rooms, the lab level, et cetera. We will cover more about where you can't go alone later on. For now let's start the tour, though don't mind me if I work a bit going through."

Osu set a surprisingly brisk pace almost immediately as they left the main lobby area and started touring the first floor. "Where we just left was obviously the main reception which you will work a couple times with the nurses as an MiT to get a feel for the structure around here and become more familiar with paperwork. If you work 60 hours in a week about at least 10 of that is dealing with paperwork from requests to reports and the faster you learn the ins and outs the more time you will have to help patients. Coming up on our right is the emergency room reception, you won't be touching that desk for months, but know where it is. Through here is hall 1E mostly temporary beds to hold patients that come in through the emergency reception that aren't needing immediate care."

A couple nurses began approaching Osu with some charts to sign off on some things. He stopped walking and as he read through he nodded at Kiri, "Around here the pecking order is the Sennin at the top, the medical chiefs including the sennin's hand, med-nin though some head sub-divisions and when dealing with those obviously they are a bit higher up, a few what we call civilian doctors that are non-shinobi medical professionals we use to pick up the slack, MiT like yourself, then the nurses. Yes you outrank the nurses but as long as you are a MiT you treat them with the upmost respect and ask nicely for anything. Unless someone is dying and you need every second, you say please and thank you. They deal with a lot of the nonsense around here and we have to appreciate them. Gonna be another minute checking on Tanaka-San and his... oh goodness we need to get you into that X-ray... here so let's hear about yourself a bit. Let's go with the staple questions, why did you want to become a Mednin, what fields interest you, and how much training have you had?"

Kiri

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Kiri was surprised when the person from earlier stood up and answered his query. Talk about awkward. Would that mean he’d lose points when he couldn’t even tell who was an instructor? Well, he didn’t care much about that, but he did blush a bit in embarrassment as he caught the lanyard with the name tag. He quickly put it over his neck and wore it before quickly falling into pace just behind his instructor, Osuteno.

“I’ll be sure to remember that,” answered Kiri as he made mental notes of the route and the names of places. Though he wasn’t sure just yet how they were specifically different, or perhaps the special cases needed by each section or ward was different. He’ll have to learn that too. Speaking of which, just hearing he might have to do some paperwork… well, a lot, made him smile. Though a bit disappointed, he supposed, but a little relieved that he wouldn’t have to start cutting people up just yet. Well, not until he could fully control his inner demon, that is.

As they continued past the nurses and hearing about the hierarchy in there, he bowed to them in passing before he continued to follow behind Osu. He didn’t have problems with authority as he had long accepted that to lead a new life was to leave behind the rank that came along with his clan name. Not that it would be helpful since he was cast away by the clan anyway.

And soon enough, they would come to a brief halt as the rather cute and charismatic instructor made an impromptu interview. He was caught a bit off guard there for a moment, his mind still making mental notes. He shook his head and absent-mindedly tried to pull down the hood of the cape to cover his eyes in embarrassment, only to realise that there was no cape and ended up grabbing his hair, eyes looking upward briefly.

“I want to be helpful without having to be a weapon of some sort,” he began. “I mean, the other branches are helpful too, but I cannot imagine myself being in the front line of the battle, charging ahead because I don’t know self-control yet. That is… I want to show that my own power can also save others without having to kill.” He paused for a moment as if retelling himself and seeing if he sounded right. “As for the field. I’m not certain yet. Maybe like those emergency personnel who can help right away, or for those who are traumatized. I, personally, find that it is important to have someone to counsel you during trying times. And as for training… I think I have more experience cutting up people rather than putting them at ease. Which is why I want to change my perspective…is that right?”

Osuteno

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Osu smiled a bit knowingly for his age at Kiri's answer. "I don't know, IS that right? It's about yourself after all." He handed the chart along with an order for an x-ray for Tanaka-San off to a nurse and motioned with his head for Kiri to follow.

"You seem rather nervous, that's good to a limited degree, you will be less likely to make careless mistakes. Unfortunately nervousness also makes you prone to freezing up. Only solution is to get you some knowledge and experience. Tap your card on the sensor to open the staff elevator ahead of us, just need to get it close." When they were inside the elevator Osu simply waved his sleeve with a hidden pocket containing his own card over the inner sensor and hit the button for the morgue floor.

"As for your answers... I can sympathize. Particularly with not wanting to be a weapon." Osu pulled out a blood red kunai in one hand and a scalpel in his other. "This kunai is most shinobi, a sturdy and effective weapon. Quite flexible as well in its uses, it was originally used as a farm tool. This scalpel is us. We are not as strong as the kunai and we are much more specialized, which can also mean inflexible. Just try not to forget that the blade of the scalpel is far sharper and less forgiving of mistakes. Medicine can just as easily be poison and though sometimes poison is the most effective medicine. No right minded mednin will rush to the front lines and get themselves killed before their squad mates, that is true, but we must be prepared to kill to save them as well. Even here in the hospital you will have to deal with a lot of death, we are the only hospital in the city after all. This is our floor."

Osu stepped through the elevator and turned right, "This floor houses different morgues though the only one you need to care about for now is the main one. The others hold bodies of particular standards such as those belonging to shinobi or more specialized like those with bloodlines. The one we are going to holds civilian cadavers. You expressed a desire for a psychological field as well as surgery but before you take a shot at therapy we need to get you prepared for general practice as well. We never have enough doctors for general practice so everyone shares that weight. thus the first step we will lay out for you... is learning a bit of anatomy. And by a bit I mean the next few months you will live, breathe and dream anatomy. Basics are key." Osu waved his sleeve over another sensor to open a door.

"Initially of course you will be doing book learning. In fact, you will never stop doing book learning. Even when you are at the height of knowledge in your field you must keep track of every new study and do plenty of your own. You will write studies eventually. If you don't love spending most of your time off studying I would begin running away from this place now while you still can," Osu said with a bit of a playful smile. "Today however we are going to give you a bit of a sneak peek into the wonders of the human body so you can more readily absorb the knowledge you read."

Osu walked Kiri over to a table and started scanning the wall until he found the container he was looking for and pulled out the gurney. "This is Abe-San, Abe-Sensei to you. Greet Abe-Sensei... He was a merchant in the Susukino Market District who sold antiques in his family shop until he retired and passed it on to his son last year do to deteriorating health. He didn't come to the hospital until it was much too late and he died the day before yesterday of heart failure, may Raiden grant his soul peace. Even if it were a week earlier we might have been able to give him a few more years, why it is important for you to remind your patients that they should have regular checkups. Anyway Abe-Sensei here will be teaching you about the body today." Osu pulled and fastened his sleeves back, pulled on some gloves and grabbed a sanitized scalpel.

"Pull yourself on some gloves and bring that tray beside you over." Osu began opening the cadaver's chest with a practiced touch, a red tendril slipping out his sleeve to fish tools out of a drawer. "What i am cutting into now is the skin, our largest organ. You may or may not already know just how easily it can be cut, how delicate it is for something that keeps... most people together. That is oddly a good thing for us as it allows us to be gentle when we seek to right what is wrong with internal maladies." Osu began to dismantle the ribs.

"Most people of course rely on their bones to keep them upright and protect the precious organs that sustain them. Here take this rib, get a good feel for it. Abe-San was an older man but he took good care of his bones. You can tell he had a healthy diet, more calcium intake than most people of his age group.” Osu removed a few more ribs and carefully placed them in the tray and then put his hands in further while twisting the scalpel around. “The organ I personally have studied the most is… this one.” Osu gently and slowly lifted a heart slightly out of the man’s chest, still connected to some arteries. “Come get a closer look, come hold it right here where I have it. Gently.” Osu waited to remove his hands until he was sure Kiri had a firm and steady grip on the heart. “Now, don’t be surprised, just keep still and feel it.” Chigokai could do much with the heart and blood. Mednin could also do a lot with their techniques. Chigokai Mednin however could much more easily pull off some impressive tricks, like having a dead man’s heart beat and have stagnant blood flow like a living person’s… well, where it wouldn’t make a mess with Abe-San opened up like this. He mostly wanted Kiri’s mind to remember this feeling so when he spent weeks on the cardiovascular system it might be a bit more interesting. Osu continued by opening up the heart and showing Kiri what the inside did as it beat and then proceeded to show him other major organs one by one and have him hold a few. They didn’t cover every organ of course, this was mostly a crash course just to give Kiri something to remember his first day and spark his desire to learn. Besides, they had more hospital to see, including the cafeteria right after this.

“When we are done for the day I will be handing you the second heaviest textbook you will find in this village, simply named Anatomy, a brand new copy just for you which you will read in your off time. I do not expect you to memorize the whole thing, you have years to do that. I will expect you however to be able to name every bone, major artery, the major parts of different organs, the major systems and be able to label each on a chart before you can open up and explore a cadaver on your own. That is when we will start getting to have a bit more fun. Of course you won’t be able to do anything to a living breathing human that you haven’t done correctly to a cadaver a few dozen times, from sticking a needle in them to replacing a heart. In the meantime you will be organizing charts, following mednin like myself around, assisting the nurses in everything from wheeling patients around to changing bedpans, collecting and delivering samples and whatever anyone tells you to do if they see you are relaxing for even a moment.” Osu relayed his expectations of the MiT with an obviously sympathetic look on his face. Then he looked a bit more mischievous, "So you just need to make sure you look busy, though beware that some doctors have been here longer than the two of us have lived collectively and will give you even more chores, not if, but when they spot your act."

Osu had done the same sort of chores when he started as an MiT at the age of nine. Most doctors (key word being most) were much less willing to dump dirty work on a small child, but a young man like Kiri would probably get the dirtiest and most cumbersome chores people could dump on him. Actually... "Though it might be best that when you do find that your hands are free you let the right doctors catch you to get the right chores." Perhaps Osu would need to hand Kiri a list of tasks to perform on occasion so he wouldn’t have to give sponge baths to the ojii-sans and obaa-sans or have multiple bedpan cleaning duties every day. He would have to do those things sure but Osu could at least try to provide Kiri a break and variety on occasion. "Any questions before we move on? About anything I have mentioned so far including Abe-San here, that is."

Kiri

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Ah… He blushed lightly when he was told that it should be something he should know for himself. Well, that was true but what he wants for himself is still partly a mystery to himself. All he has are concepts, nothing concrete yet. In any case, he as glad Osu didn’t push any further and they continued down the corridor. He bowed to the nurses, not because he was told to, but also as part of a learned mannerism, he supposed. One of the only people he ever loved was his mother and somehow caring for others was a characteristic he could embed with her, so in a way, these nurses (whether they were male or female) were like mothers.

As they neared the end, he did as he was instructed, tapping his card on the reader of the lift and the door opened. Once inside, Osu took the lead. He was a bit surprised when the latter gave a brief lecture about their roles. Indeed, med-nins were double-edged swords. “I suppose you’re right. I should keep a more open mind. After all no one can predict what happens in the battlefield.”

When the lift finally stopped and the doors opened, Kiri was surprised that his first destination was the morgue. Osu’s explanation about his training was rather straightforward and sensible. And while he was surprised he was to get started right away in this area, he wasn’t at all scared. At least not by so much. As he said earlier, he had experience cutting up people, though perhaps the means and technical aspect to it differs. But what made this place even more uniquely strange was the fact that it was the civilian cadaver section. Ordinary people. He nodded at the other’s introduction and followed suit.

He quickly positioned himself to a good side to observe Osu as the body – Abe-san – was pulled out from its confines and readily splayed itself. As per instruction, he rolled his sleeves, put on a pair of latex gloves and then went to retrieve the cold tray that was just behind on top of a table. As he did so, he was a bit perplexed when he saw a red tendril slide out from the latter’s sleeve to get the tools needed for the lesson. That was definitely one for the books, a smile slipped on his lips but quickly got back to business.

The entire process of slicing delicately into the skin, revealing the muscle tissues and the bone was rather superb, an art in of itself. Though he learned the fundamentals of graceful swinging of the sword, this was fascinating. He pressed on the ribs that were placed on the tray, examining as he was instructed, amazed at the durability. And then finally, shortly after, Osu procured the heart, of which struck Kiri. He knew it was the life-pumping organ, but he didn’t think he’d see one so close, and away from combat. And as he was told, he reached out, a bit shaky at first, then steadily as he held the organ, still connected by veins. But the real impressive show was about to begin. Kiri could feel the other’s chakra at work as he kept his eyes on the organ, seemingly coming to life and every beat, even the tiniest of tremors he felt against his gloved palm, was exhilarating. And when Osu proceeded to open the heart, it was far more fascinating, the organ seemingly baring its secret to Kiri. Certainly, he would burn the image into his memory, how each vein, each chamber of the heart connect, contracted and expanded, the thin layer of the muscle that covered it, and the warmth.

The rest that he got the first hand experience of witnessing and touching were the other organs, though not all, just the major ones that Osu wanted him to have an overview of. Strictly speaking, it did affect his own mindset and awareness of the human body. Even if one were to argue that it was too brief, for Kiri, it was still quite something. Studying from text, or listening from reports and tales, was just different from holding it within your hand, personally experiencing. One fear was that he would get addicted to its exhilarating feel, like a madman or a serial killer. But it was not. It was purely fascination and admiration.

“I’ll do my best,” was all he could say. From the get go he should have expected such responsibilities anyway. This was a path you simply don’t choose by a whim. It was something that you had a feel for. And though he may end up dreading a life full of just books, reports and cadavers, he found it, at least fascinating to some extent, “I look forward to the books.” And in a way, he looked forward to studying more about the human anatomy in order to fully grasp where each and everything about the body works in such ways.

And as for the question, he shook his head. By the end of it, after they tidied up, he looked back to Abe-san and gave a bow before following after Osu.

Osuteno

Yen
ASP
Deaths
No questions at all? That was a little disappointing, but Osu simply gave a mental shrug. It was fine if Kiri was expressing that he understood what Osu had said but he couldn't but wish for a little more curiosity. Well, all in due time, at least he felt that his goal to motivate Kiri a bit was successful. Osu began to clean up the work space and himself and when they were done he left a note on Abe-San's chart detailing how he should be handled. He smiled as Kiri stopped to bow to the cadaver, slowing for a moment, and then went back towards the elevator. Osu glanced at a clock they passed. "We were in there for some time, I hope our work with Abe-San hasn't disrupted your appetite at all, it's time for us to take a lunch break." Despite saying that Osu hit the button for the third floor once they were on the elevator.

As another doctor got on with them Osu politely waited for the woman to get off on the first floor and for the doors to close before continuing, "We will just be stopping by the third floor break room for a moment so I can grab my lunch." There seemed to be a slightly pained and distant look in Osu's eyes as he mentioned the lunch but he said nothing else about it. It really was just a few seconds for Osu to grab his bento from the fridge and they simply took the stairs down to the first floor. Taking a shortcut through the first floor outdoor garden area they reentered the building and found themselves just outside the cafeteria. "To order food all you have to do is go to that machine over there to buy a meal ticket and then take it over there. Once a day you can scan your employee pass and it takes about half the price of a meal off depending on which meal you are going for. If you are going to eat multiple meals here lunch is typically the most expensive so I would use your discount then. I will be right over at that table when you grab your meal."

Leaving the MiT to his own devices for a bit Osu sat down at the table and placed the bento on top before staring at it, even pausing a bit before sitting down. His wife had been kind enough to make him this bento but... he opened it up. Honestly he was much more domestic than she was which with their backgrounds made sense, but as an expectant mother she somehow got this idea that she HAD to be domestic which Osu blamed on those magazines she was reading all the time. That lead to the lunch sitting in front of him. it was a two level bento, one level complety filled with rice and the other with eggs. Taking a big breath in and out to prepare himself first Osu seperated his chopsticks and took a shot at the rice. *crunch crunch crunch crunch* ... Well... At least she put a reasonable amount of salt in this time. Ignoring the fact people turned around to look for whatever tree was being snapped in half Osu took the cover off the eggs. The first thing he noticed was his wife had started to write him a note in the eggs with ketchup before remembering that ketchup was one of the things that set off her morning sickness so it was left unfinished. That made him feel even more guilty about his aversion to eating it, even when he spotted the numerous pieces of eggshell in the mix. He tooks a bite of that as well and instantly began coughing from the sheer amount of black pepper that was inside it. Osu continued to struggle with his lunch, forcing it down, until Kiri came back.

Trying his best to eat without letting it show he was straining Osu smiled at the MiT. "Find something you like? They always tend to have a surprisingly varied selection though you never know what they will have a day in advance. I sometimes think the kitchen staff doesn't know either but they'll never tell." It pulled out one of the maps you find posted on the walls around the hospital.

"We aren't allowed to bring the full layout maps outside of restricted areas but I can at least use this to continue our little tour while you eat. As you can probably notice this map skips a few floors not even counting the basement floors or the top few. This first missing level is the pharmacy level. You will occasionally be sent there to drop off a prescription or pick one up but until you are a full medic you won't be going past the front window often, and certainly never alone even after you get promoted. We have some seriously dangerous stuff back there, not to mention expensive. We also store and dispose of drugs we... find in the field... Sometimes a mednin will be called to the field to investigate medical crimes such as drugs or illegal research. They usually end up being pretty messy, very unpleasant. Thankfully those missions are pretty rare and they usually ask for volunteers first among the combat capable. You are much more likely to be asked to protect, transport and/or administer medicine once you can go out on your own. Could even take you along sometime if that interests you... providing you keep up with your studies mind. Can't go on the field trip without good grades." Osu said the last bit as a joke remembering a sensei saying something similar to his class back when he was an academy student.

"This missing level and one of the basement floors are where we treat some high... or extremely low profile patients. You won't be going to those." The one above ground was for village leadership while the one basement floor Osu was pretty sure was reserved for ANBU. He had only ever worked on the first one and he still remembered the assassination. "The other basement floors besides the off limit rooms and the morgue levels are various labs mostly. Above this floor is mostly offices, a couple sleeping rooms, break rooms, a gym, etc. The rest of the floors are clearly marked. You can keep the map."

Osu forced himself to eat another couple bites of his lunch before continuing, "Starting bright and early tomorrow morning, every day you will assist the nurses at the front desk, follow a mednin around on their rounds, do chores, have a lunch break, and then basically go where someone tells you after that point. Sometimes someone will teach you in more rounds, sometimes there will be a classroom type setting, lab time, special training sessions for equipment or emergency actions, and just more chores. They like to keep you on your toes. So ignoring that you have only been here a couple hours, how are you feeling about the job? Not having any second thoughts already are you? You seem fine but I think it best to ask all the same. It is a stressful and time consuming job and trust me when I say my wife doesn't like my hours nor my pay. We might have better pay than other shinobi but that is only because we work an unhealthy number of hours here and don't really stop working when we leave. The only way you can maintain any form of sanity doing this job is if you honestly feel at home either helping patients... or if you can't think of a more enjoyable way of spending your time than obsessing over lab work or studying cadavers... We may have a looser standard of sanity for our doctors than for our patients, but its only because we are very good at the things we are crazy about." It was mostly a joke but there was a certain level of honesty in that statement.

After hearing out Kiri and finishing their lunches Osu looked at the time. "Alright considering I still need to give you that book, get you equipped with a pager, a few sets of scrubs, and introduce you to the nurse who will be supervising you... we still have a bit of time to make one more stop, would you rather take a peek in the psychology wing or see if we can watch a bit of an ongoing surgery? Or we could even go to pediatrics and give the kids piggy back rides. Honestly I don't know any more than you do what paths you might want to take as a doctor so I would really suggest making some time to check many different departments out while you have more freedom as an MiT."

Kiri

Yen
ASP
Deaths
“No, I’m fine. You can say that I’ve had my fair share of dead bodies, though not in this explorative way,” answered Kiri as his instructor asked about his appetite after their thorough tour of Abe-san’s internal organs. The uninitiated or those averse to the battlefield would have been rattled, but he was not. Then again, there are also those who are veterans of war and yet would get the churning of the stomach the moment they see intestines falling out of corpses. It was simply a matter of perspective. And for Kiri, while it may seem uncomfortable, theoretically it was interesting. He added, “At least now I know more certainly how and where the food goes. The human body is surely interesting. And any outer changes to the physical make-up does not seem true to what is inside just like Abe-san. I should also take care of my self better, I suppose. Wouldn’t want to be a Med-nin and set a bad example when it’s my turn to be examined when I’m gone.” He carefully observed the aftercare rituals of Osu, especially after handling a dead body, then they proceeded to the lift once more.

He wondered why his instructor had to go to a different floor to retrieve something before they went to the cafeteria, but it wasn’t his place to be asking about potentially personal stuff. In any case, he was rather surprised when he was greeted with a large space that was the cafeteria. He didn’t expect it to be such a wide place, though it seemed to be catering for a lot of people, not just the residents. And as instructed, Kiri would try and get his meal using his personnel discount. Half the price was great. He won’t have to be thrifty in nutrition. After getting a simple donburi, a piping hot misoshiro and salad bowl, he carried his tray and glanced around until he spotted his instructor before proceeding to where he sat.

“Sorry for the wait,” he greeted as he sat opposite the other, putting the tray down. “The teishoku here is great. You can get meals complete with soup and salad.” He then looked at the other and noticed the rather beautiful bento and smiled. He knows the concept of bentos because of his background, and he could tell that someone had made it for him, not because he didn’t think Osu could cook, rather, it had that homey feel to it, as oppose to how one would present the food in the bento should they be cooking for themselves. “Must be nice. I used to make bentos when I was at the academy, but I realised I was better off eating from the cafeteria or grabbing one of the fruits in the nearby tree.”

Before long, Osu would then present to him a map. It was the general layout of the hospital and Kiri would nod and make mental notes as it was being explained. The pharmacy seemed rather interesting, especially when there are things that are still restricted. Those are always interesting. And when Osu explained the workings and duties of a combat medic, it sounded even more appetising. “Then I should get started on studying. I want to be helpful soon. And though I promise I’ll keep a good mind to keep up with studying, I’m also very much willing to keep up being physically capable and combat ready. So when’s the next time you can probably take me?” He said much eagerness.

But alas, it would seem that his first tasks of many would start from the bottom up. Not that he had a problem with it. He knew he had to have good foundation in order to be a competent med-nin. “But in all seriousness, I think this is something I’m leaning towards. I may love fighting, but there’s a part in me that also doesn’t like it. On the other hand, I’ve always wanted to be able to…uh… cure. You know, to be useful in that sense. Like I said earlier, I tend to destroy with a sword, but if what you said about is true, then I can turn a blade into a saving hand as well. Well, I may have to learn how to properly hold a scalpe, but I’m quite confident in that aspect.”

Just as he was finishing, he thought about the offer made by Osu, and without much thought, he answered, “Psychology. And surgery. Either would be great. Then again, if it’s an ongoing surgery, it would be a priority. I want to see for myself the situation of where another’s life depends on one’s own hands. If that’s alright with you.”

Osuteno

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Osu wasn't entirely sure if the compliment about the admittedly bad bento his wife made was sincere or backhanded, he thought it might have been sincere, but Osu was at least happy that Kiri was displaying a bit more eagerness but he didn't have particularly good news. "It will likely be a few months before you are far enough in your studies to warrant taking you away from the hospital. Though should you feel ready I can always check your progress. Also it will more than likely be just a standard "house call." That is a little nickname for go to a remote village for a week or two to take care of their yearly checkups and vaccinations. Anyway, I don't think there is anything particularly dramatic scheduled for the surgery room, like a 'life on the line' situation, but there is usually some sort of procedure." In fact during the day there was almost always an ongoing procedure with a hospital this large... Was that comment about his wife's cooking sincere or not? No wait, focusing on the wrong thing...

Osu finished with his wife's cooking (he really needed to clear up the not using the egg shells and how to season bits in her next lesson) and wrapped the bento back up still wondering what Kiri had meant by that better off just eating from the cafeteria or picking fruit off a tree comment in the back of his mind. "... What was I? Oh, no wait, that's right. Are you done with your meal? Just return your tray over there and we will head to the schedule board to see if there is anything interesting." There was no way Kiri would mock his bento right to his face. And even if he did it wasn't like Kiri knew his wife made it.

Osu had never felt this defensive over a bento before, and in the past had even expressed dissatisfaction with his own cooking more easily. Despite that, the entire way to look at the surgery schedule it was gnawing at him.

At the board, "Let's see here... it looks like... ah it seems if we go now we can probably be able to see a bit of this spinal fusion." When they got to the observation room the surgery was well under way and Osu asked a nurse to set the patient's chart. "Alright patient is female, 62 year old retired chuunin... facet arthritis causing pain in the lower back. The facet joints are the smaller joints that help provide stability, or are supposed to. In this case the weakening of the joints has caused a shift in the patient's spine. Not a very comfortable situation, pretty bad back and nerve pain. Let's move over here to see if we can get a better look with the screen."

Osu flipped through the camera screens to the one looking directly down on the patient's opened back. "Alright so we have missed a bit so I will run you through the procedure up to this point, as you can see the slit is rather small. In this case, they only made the incision on the skin with the scalpel to avoid burn injuries and most of the dissection is done with a bovie, which you willbe learning more about when you have your surgical lessons." Osu zoomed the picture in to fill the screen with the small part of the patient's back that was involved since most of them was under a blue surgical sheet anyway. "This right here is the fat layer they had to cut through, and this is the fascia, which is the tough outer layer of the muscle. Note they didn't cut through the muscle so much as peel it down. Right here you can see that the joints have enlarged, about twice as large as normal in this case, as the body tried to deal with the spine's instability which has caused the spine to slip even further. This narrows the spinal canal and causes that nerve pain I mentioned. It makes walking difficult or even painful and really limits a person.It is fairly common and we call it stenosis. You should see right where the suction is right now some spinal bone that mostly serves as muscle attachment where they will be putting new bone here in a bit." Osu continued to explain the various tools used, the purposeful destruction of a particular nerve, the controlled thinning and removal of bone and the overall removal of the lamina. He showed Kiri where the dura, or the blueish spinal nerve sac, was and why they used cotton patties to protect it while they cleaned the ligament and decompressed the extra bone. Everything from the straight screws put into the bone to the careful motions of the surgeon's wrist as he guided a probe into the pedicle got a brief, but individual, comment from Osu. "Those titanium screws are going about 4 centimeters into the bone and provide great support. I'll see if we can give you a good look at the xray later so you can see how the screws fit in there. And this is where the bone fusion procedure starts." It might have occurred to Kiri that despite being fifteen-twenty minutes into the procedure the main show was just beginning. At this point Osu mentioned that many surgeons will actually diverge as different people had different preferred methods of bone graft. Like Osu this surgeon in particular preferred to keep as much of the patient's own tissue as possible, or real bone tissue at least. Some of the bone removed earlier in the case was actually being recycled. There were several synthetic bone graft types available, some he even made on request due to his work in prosthetics engineering, that some surgeons preferred to use instead and Kiri could make his own decision in the future on the subject. Osu pointed as bone marrow was removed from the pelvis and explained the bone healing properties of those cells, as they hadn't yet decided what sort of bone they were going to be yet but had multiple potentials. "You have to be very sure you clean out the soft tissue as bone won't heal through soft tissue, bone heals to bone. The more bone contact, the better. I actually like what he is doing here. You don't have to but he is harvesting the fat from earlier and putting it right in here to help minimize scar formation. If the scar tissue builds up it can make future revisions more difficult and also increases the likelihood of complications such as spinal fluid leaks. In that cup he has there is some of that bone recycled from earlier along with some donor bone mixed in with the bone marrow and it has been ground a bit more fine than course for that improved surface area. Fill in those creases and edges." They continued watching until the surgeon was measuring for rod length as obviously something had to connect the screws together, then Osu checked the time.

"At this point they just need to connect the screws, tighten the frame and maybe add just a bit more graft before sewing her back shut. We should really get moving if we want to meet your nurse supervisor on time. It isn't good to keep people waiting. We can see if we can make one of your class periods during one of my surgeries so I can explain everything as I go." Osu had Kiri jog with him a bit to the equipment room (still wondering if Kiri insulted his wife's cooking or not) and they got him set up with his own pager and a few sets of scrubs his size. They managed to meet with the nurse barely on time.

"Well Kiri, from this point you will get a start on learning how to do paperwork, surely the most exciting aspect of today. Oh and I almost forgot," Osu walked over to a cabinet and pulled out the largest book that most people would ever see. Anatomy, more than 4000 pages of medical knowledge and an extremely effective doorstop. "Before you start running I will again say it will be years before anyone expects you to know what page number lists the common causes for inner ear problems, fun fact that's pages 1237-1238. I have sticky notes in here marking and listing the key systems I want you to get down for now. I just want you to be able to point them out and name the pieces, you don't have to know what they do... or... make a full paper mache reconstruction of the human body when you get too into the project or make a research paper detailing what each numbered piece is purposed for on the model... Don't do that." Osu was blushing at this last bit. "That would be a waste of time and we want to get you to cadavers as soon as possible."

With this Osu's role was done for the day, with Kiri at least. He nodded at the two signalling him turning control over to the nurse and began to leave. Still... "What exactly did you mean earlier about the bento my wife made?"

OOC: [Bmod called] ... just kidding not really lol.

At this point you just need to provide one more post and 300 words on your observations of the surgery and then we can call this thread done. You will then get to double the training you list this for as per tutoring rules and we will apply for your medical specializations after your post.

Kiri

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Unaware that his earlier comment about the bento was giving his instructor second thoughts, the eager blonde simply finished his meal as quickly as possible as he continued to listen to what was being discussed. He supposed it was only fair that it would take him a few more months to actually get to do things in his own way. Actually, shouldn’t that take years, at the very least? Well, if the circumstance needed it, he may have to double his efforts to be as promising as he could be. He wouldn’t want to disappoint his instructor, now would he?

He was worried, though, when Osu suddenly seemed a bit bothered, but he nodded at the instruction and went to return the tray to the tray counter. After which, he swiftly returned to other’s side. Walking with him, he was observing. Though he wondered if he would spot anything strange, he wasn’t so sure about it. He hoped whatever it was that seemed to have distracted Osu wasn’t serious. If only he knew it was his earlier comment.

Arriving at the board, they saw a list of schedules and as he had said earlier, if he could observe a surgery, that would be most helpful. One particular operation was about to unfold and they went to the observation room where monitors lined up. Directed by Osu, they found the one camera that would show them the said operation. It was a spinal fusion, and though it sounded quite the handful, it may not be as complicated as it sounded. Or at least, not as life-threatening as what Kiri may have thought of. In due time, he thought to himself, he’ll eventually learn the ropes and while it’s best not to ask for someone to get horrendously wounded, he’ll learn how to treat those on the verge of dying.

In any case, he began to listen to Osu as the latter would give him a briefing on what has transpired and what was to come. The visual may not be as appetising to others, but Kiri didn’t feel the slightest bit uncomfortable. Perhaps that was good. He’ll have to witness so many more of these scenes eventually. And thinking about it, he remembered an earlier remark by his instructor that perhaps in his sleep he’ll be dreaming of these things. But back to the moment before him, he was so tempted that he quickly looked over to the sides, and saw a few scraps of paper on the desk. He asked for some, then a pen, then went back to look at the screen, and with each explanation, he would jot down as fast as he could.

Strange though, even if he had missed the beginning, to hear that the main part of the procedure was just starting made him contemplate on how one needs endurance and extreme focus in surgeries. It wasn’t as simple as thought it would be. And one small move, even the tiniest of exhaustions, can be detrimental. It was fast, the way the operation happened. And before he knew, Osu was wrapping up the explanation parts. He nodded when they were about to leave, thanked the man in charge of the observations room, and followed suit. By this time, he was more like a puppy that didn’t ask questions, simply shadowing. Not that he didn’t like it. His mind was still on that surgery and to be honest, it was quite fascinating.

“Yeah, if you could. I would love to see you with a scalpel,” he said. And right on the mark, they managed to end up meeting the nurse who would be in charge of him. Handed the large book, Kiri was left speechless for a brief moment and all he could do was nod, probably still shocked at the amount of stuff to read. And just as the introductory meeting was about to be done, he came to a realisation that he was finally starting on this new life of his.

That and all of a sudden, Osu asked about the bento. To be honest, Kiri was a bit worried when he thought for a moment that his instructor may have misunderstood his comment about the bento. Then, he thought about it himself and said, “Well, I mean. I could understand the effort put into a bento. You’re lucky to have a wife who makes them. The last person who made one for me was my mother, and I haven’t seen her for almost seven years now. Not that she died. She’s alive… probably. Just that, well… certain things happened. And so when I try to make a bento for myself, I can’t help but to feel pathetic. I’m not exactly a good cook, and aren’t bentos supposed to be made from the heart? So yeah. It was kinda cute and I was a bit envious I suppose.” He sighed before adjusting the book on his hands. “Well, I’ll try my best to be a good student. At the very least, that I can assure you.”

And before they were about to depart, a sudden realisation come upon him as Kiri suddenly burst, "YOU HAVE A WIFE?! HOW OLD ARE YOU?!"

THE END

[Topic Left]

Tsuyoshi Junko

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Osu: Medical Tutor [Novice] (1.5 points received)
Kiri: Anatomy & General Surgery [Novice] (.5 points received)

Note: Be sure to note your double training

Current Ninpocho Chronicles Time:

Back