Ninpocho Chronicles

Ninpocho Chronicles is a fantasy-ish setting storyline, set in an alternate universe World of Ninjas, where the Naruto and Boruto series take place. This means that none of the canon characters exists, or existed here.

Each ninja starts from the bottom and start their training as an Academy Student. From there they develop abilities akin to that of demigods as they grow in age and experience.

Along the way they gain new friends (or enemies), take on jobs and complete contracts and missions for their respective villages where their training and skill will be tested to their limits.

The sky is the limit as the blank page you see before you can be filled with countless of adventures with your character in the game.

This is Ninpocho Chronicles.

Current Ninpocho Chronicles Time:

Just Like Old Times (Tutor)

Enomoto Satoshi

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Satoshi sat upon a tall, wooden-legged stool and leisurely enjoyed his bowl of warm soup. He was seated in front of the bar of a rickety open-air restaurant assembled out of an eclectic combination of bamboo and wood. A small thatched roof furnished customers with a refreshing shade, and on this bright mid-morning day Satoshi looked in both directions around the cramped, narrow corridor nestled deep within the Susukino District. He was expecting someone.

“The last time I worked with Omoi back in the Ancient Forest, he was just a humble, inexperienced academy student. And I was a novice instructor. It was reckless of me to pit him against those ferocious beasts, and in that miserable rain no less!” Satoshi’s thoughts drifted away to his heavy gray raincoat, which ultimately he was forced to dispense with for the dampness would never abate. Fortunately, raincoats were an unnecessary burden on sunny days like this one, and he was dressed business casually in unremarkable slacks, button-down shirt, floppy tie and of course a sleek pair of glasses.

“Despite my hazardous lesson plan, Omoi conquered every single obstacle that I could throw at him. It hasn’t been too long since we last trained, but he possessed worlds of potential and I’m eager to see how far he’s grown since then.”

Satoshi finished his bowl and handed it to the elderly woman serving customers from behind the bar. He had instructed a number of pupils since working with Omoi, but Omoi Chichioya’s precocious talent left a lasting impression on him. Satoshi listlessly sipped his ice-cold glass of water and contemplated what sort of lesson plan he should challenge Omoi with today.

[WC: 277]

Omoi Chichioya

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Omoi was taking a stroll downtown. He cared little for the people, and avoided alleyways, but he loved to marvel at it's infrastructure. A building always had more to it than meets the eye. Most children wouldn't even care for something like this, but he did nonetheless. The stone foundations with the polished wooden exterior...A towering building for all to see...All of it was a work of art. But that was not why he decided to leave the comfort of his home. Only one thing could entice him enough to get out of bed on a lazy afternoon.

He was hungry.

Omoi peered into his wallet, and found it as empty a black hole. Maybe even a black hole had more than his wallet. He shrugged it off, and kept wandering down the streets, when he saw a familiar face at an old restaurant.

"Hey....would you mind...for lack of better words....paying for my lunch? I'll eat with you."

Enomoto Satoshi

Yen
ASP
Deaths
A recognizable figure emerged from the densely crowded streets right as Satoshi was considering leaving his seat and going about his errands. The long, spiky hair and red headband; there could be no doubt, it was Omoi Chichioya! Inexplicably, it felt as though months had elapsed since Satoshi sat down to enjoy his soup, but in reality Satoshi knew he had been eating for a matter of mere minutes.

“Greetings Omoi, it has been too long! Please spare a second and sit with me. This place is cheap so I can pay your way; I remember far too well the frugal lifestyle of an Academy Student.”

Satoshi had finished his meal only moments ago but he was in no hurry to rush off for other business. He ordered a hot tea to complement his ice-cold water, and the gray-haired woman behind the counter expeditiously prepared and handed over his steaming beverage.

“So tell me how life is, Omoi,” blathered Satoshi with no clear conversational direction in mind. “Are your classes at the Academy going well? How much longer do you have until you graduate anyhow?”

The sun’s rays beamed brightly upon the passerbys and refracted through Satoshi’s spectacles whenever he turned his head to address Omoi in the avenue. Luckily, the thatch canopy of the open restaurant provided adequate shade and a welcome “coolness” from the sultry summer day outdoors. Elsewhere in the world it might even be winter that very moment and snowing torrentially, but here in the Susukino District the day could not be more pleasant.

[WC: 258]

Omoi Chichioya

Yen
ASP
Deaths
"Well, I don't know how it 'till I graduate. I reckon it will be a long time. But truth be told, the real reason I don't know is because I don't pay attention in class. Or anything related to it. I do manage decent grades, somehow."

Omoi did not like being stereotypical, but he did like relaxing more than he hated stereotypes. Now to fulfill the quest he had ventured outside for.

"Can I get some noodles? Just plain, no fancy stuff."

As the woman behind the counter went to prepare his meal, Omoi let his mind wander. As he pondered, he let his thoughts turn into words.

"I guess I really never liked sitting down. I like to move around, but I don't like to over-exert myself."

The sun's warm embrace was slowly fading. Taking its place was a mass of clouds that threatened the peace with rain.

"It was a night like this, wasn't it?"

He looked outside.

A drop of rain. A strange new technique. A tutor.

Song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KJqklnUikc

The cold night gnawing at his bones, as he battled numerous beasts in what could have been a lethal encounter. Climbing so that a looming threat may not devour him whole. All of this in a single night, one planned for a regular tutoring session. How this happened is unknown. Ravaging beasts typically do not ambush him. He never knew how he make it out alive either. How he would make it out should this happen again was clear.

Tact.
Wit.
A multitude of thing needed in a shinobi's life.
And here he was, only ever leaving the comfort of the dorms when he wanted something from someone.

"Can I truly be a ninja when I'm so lenient with my studies? Is 'decent' good enough?
I mean, when we trained...I may have performed admirably...But are all my classmates better? I like to think I'm strong, but the future and present don't tell me that I'm strong, even if others think that. It tells me that I'm not strong yet. Is a 'decent" pace enough work to give me the strength I will need?'"

Omoi suddenly realized he was in public.

"Oh. I guess you heard that, huh? Sorry, I tuned out...Too late to take those words back now.
As long as you're here, I guess you can say what you think about that. I've already said my part. I'm not sure I meant all of it. I think I know it will all turn out fine in the end."

Doubt still lingered, and Omoi tried to shake it off.

"Sorry, sorry. I made this awkward."

Enomoto Satoshi

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Satoshi quietly sipped his tea and allowed Omoi the time to relay his experiences in vivid detail. He could still recall with striking clarity that miserable, stormy night when the two shinobi first met. It was Satoshi’s first foray into pedagogy as a newly-minted Chuunin, and despite fastidious efforts to craft a coherent lesson plan, he had no clue what he was doing and nearly got his pupil killed. But Omoi displayed such precocious talent that he disposed of a ferocious pack of wolves and bears that had arrived seemingly from nowhere, and made Satoshi look like a brilliant instructor in the process. It didn’t shock Satoshi to learn that Omoi wasn’t exactly the studious type. A student of that much natural aptitude probably finds the pace of the classroom boring, and textbook study impractical given his proven prowess in facing and defeating real-life dangers.

It did surprise Satoshi, however, to hear Omoi second-guessing himself. The Academy was always a competitive environment with high-stakes to outshine your peers, and comparing oneself to how you stack up to others is perfectly natural. However, it becomes a dangerous mindset when a student doubts their skills and develops the notion that their classmates possess double their talents and none of their flaws. If Satoshi had any remaining wisdom to impart to his pupil, it was imperative that he steer Omoi away from this pessimistic worldview.

“Omoi, back when we first trained together, you conquered several challenges as a young student that would have sent many of your classmates scampering. You prevailed over rabid wolves, hungry bears, and that tumultuous weather, but no accomplishment of yours impressed me more than the final task that I assigned to you. I gave you ten attempts to land a blow on me and you hit me square in the chest on your first try.” Satoshi re-enacted the kerfuffle with his hands, concluding the demonstration with his left hand (representing Omoi) whacking his right hand (Satoshi) with its index finger and sending it sliding across the restaurant counter. He then continued with a light-hearted laugh. “Do you think I was going easy on you? No way, though I would have liked to claim as much to save my pride. I’ve tutored a handful of students since that gloomy night in the woods. No one has possessed your lofty potential, though I’m afraid if you don’t develop the confidence to match, you’re not going to live up to your God-given gifts.”

“Don’t trouble yourself so much about grades, though you describe yours as ‘decent’ so that’s hardly a problem for you. When you’re a Chuunin nobody will ask what your GPA was from a decade ago. Train hard to master your jutsu, and do whatever is necessary to earn your diploma because once you graduate the whole world opens up for you to apply your skills. Right now I may be your instructor, but in the near future I envision us pursuing missions as teammates and exploring the world beyond Dragon Tooth Path in our sworn duty to protect the interests of Cloud Village.”

[WC: 515]

Enomoto Satoshi

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Satoshi relaxed in his stool and let the steam from his scalding hot beverage wash over his face as he composed his thoughts. His glasses fogged up, though he scarcely noticed. Omoi had generously donated his time this morning to visit with the elder shinobi, and it would be remiss if Satoshi failed to provide some semblance of a lesson to further Omoi’s promising education. Lamentably, Satoshi had a poor track record of devising practice exercises that were even informative, let alone safe. He once brought along a kunoichi to accompany him on a mission, and hoped she would learn something in the act of espionage, but that was far too dangerous an endeavor to involve an academy student. He guided two youths down into the depths of a dark cavern to go insect hunting and they were nearly devoured by monsters! It was no small miracle that none of Satoshi’s tutoring sessions had lapsed into impromptu funerals, and since Omoi demonstrated such prodigious potential, he had a fiduciary duty to Cloud Village to keep the kid safe.

“I know,” thought Satoshi to himself, still brooding over his tea. “I’ll test Omoi by asking if he can touch his two elbows behind his back, or pat his head while rubbing his stomach. Two crucial skills in determining his potential to make Raikage some day.”

Satoshi left this pondering unspoken, however, and waited patiently to hear what Omoi had to say. A couple of minutes had passed so Satoshi looked up from his drink to see if Omoi’s noodles were finished. He couldn’t quite tell.

[WC: 264]

Omoi Chichioya

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Omoi had taken his time with his noodles, but he finally finished his bowl. He put it on the counter, face filled with glee.

"Thanks Satoshi. Those noodles were good. I don't come out very often, and rarer still do I have money, so it's nice to be able to eat out. I usually just eat canned corn or something. If all is said and done, I will be on my way. But, before I go...I..."

A thought long untouched resurfaced in his mind. A thought that had made him curious once before.

"If you don't mind me asking... what is a curse seal? I remember something about it...but it's faint. It's a transformation right?"

He thought about the implications. A cursed seal? The name in and of itself sounded ominous. What could be good about a curse seal? Was it even suitable for a child? He knew so little. The thought to himself, was this a good decision? What drawbacks were waiting for him, he knew not. Despite his negative thoughts, he gathered his assets, and made a decision. In order to be the creme of the crop, he had to take extra measures. Diligence would only get you so far. You need to have an ace up your sleeve if you wanted to go even further.

"I don't know exactly what it is, but it's a good tool right? If it will help me be a better ninja, I'm willing to take the risks.
It is...cursed, right? What do we have to do?"

[WC:255]

Enomoto Satoshi

Yen
ASP
Deaths
A wave of cogent memories flooded across Satoshi’s mind as Omoi uttered that inconspicuous phrase “Cursed Seal.” The tumultuous, gray night furnished a wretched stage for training but Omoi, undeterred, defeated several ferocious beasts with unprecedented precocity. Satoshi had scarcely reminisced on those events in the subsequent weeks; he had been occupied with new students and responsibilities, and preferred not to dwell on all his mistakes which nearly got Omoi killed. Nonetheless, he now recalled vividly the potential he saw in Omoi, and how as an instructor he wanted to provide his talented pupil with the tools necessary to ascend to a higher degree of aptitude. Thus, Satoshi inscribed onto Omoi the only gift that he had left to give – a Cursed Seal.

“I know your Cursed Seal can be intimidating, especially since it’s considered taboo to teach about this stuff in schools,” began Satoshi, as he proceeded to address Omoi’s questions. “However, the Cursed Seal is a dynamic weapon in your arsenal that could make all the difference in battle. Cursed Seals grant some advantage, such as increased dodge or reduced damage from your enemies’ attacks. However, all of these benefits come at a commensurate cost, such as your own damage being halved or an increased likelihood of bleeding. Additionally, Cursed Seals drain your stamina rapidly, so don’t activate yours if you expect the fighting to drag on unnecessarily."

Satoshi hunted through his deep pockets and finally pulled out a small, portable handbook with a blue leather cover. “I knew this would come in handy some day! This is my instruction booklet that taught me all about Cursed Seals when I was studying the jutsu. It contains everything that they don’t teach you in the Academy. It’s of no further use to me, since I have learned the art of Cursed Sealing, so I now give it to you Omoi so that you can learn what I know.”

And with that, Satoshi handed the book to Omoi.

[WC: 329]

Enomoto Satoshi

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Satoshi leaned back in his stool, which emitted a subtle ‘creak’ in response to his change in position. After perorating endlessly in his usual rambling fashion to highlight the relative strengths, downsides and idiosyncrasies of the Cursed Seal, the young Chuunin felt flustered somewhat not to receive an immediate response from Omoi. Did he scare the kid with all this esoteric knowledge about forbidden shinobi jutsu? Was it even really an ethically justifiable decision to have inscribed one on his pupil, on that fateful stormy night, considering that Omoi was in no position as an academy student to consent to such an undertaking with a lucid mindset and full body of knowledge? Satoshi’s goal was to furnish Omoi with the necessary tools to unlock his full potential as a shinobi. But undeniably, he had managed to traipse into a morally ambiguous circumstance in the meanwhile.

Satoshi looked up at the sky just in time to see a gargantuan flock of birds go soaring by overhead. There must have been several dozens flying together in perfect unison, and cutting across the powder blue firmament above at breakneck speed. “I sure wish that I could fly,” mused Satoshi to himself, in silence, but alas he did not have wings. Despite the most painstaking and indefatigable efforts which he devoted to mastering Ninjutsu, or subjecting his body to grueling punishment in order to perform a Taijutsu, certain ambitions were beyond his mortal capabilities and Satoshi was wise not to dwell on these infelicities. Omoi possessed potential that Satoshi lacked, however. Who knew, perhaps Omoi of all people would grow up to sprout feathers and fly through the heavens. The sky is the limit.

[WC: 280]

Current Ninpocho Chronicles Time:

Back