Ninpocho Chronicles

Ninpocho Chronicles is a fantasy-ish setting storyline, set in an alternate universe World of Ninjas, where the Naruto and Boruto series take place. This means that none of the canon characters exists, or existed here.

Each ninja starts from the bottom and start their training as an Academy Student. From there they develop abilities akin to that of demigods as they grow in age and experience.

Along the way they gain new friends (or enemies), take on jobs and complete contracts and missions for their respective villages where their training and skill will be tested to their limits.

The sky is the limit as the blank page you see before you can be filled with countless of adventures with your character in the game.

This is Ninpocho Chronicles.

Current Ninpocho Chronicles Time:

Kumogakure Chuunin Exam Part 1

Santaru Sayomi

Yen
ASP
Deaths
The entire experience was little more than one terrible nightmare after another, to be quite honest, at least in the girl's mind. Having to speak in front of an audience of people, watching her, listening to her words, as scattered and rambling as they were, and worst of all, judging her, it was far from what she had hoped for. Chuunin was a title that seemed like an impossible goal for the young genin and she never truly grasped what it meant to be one, so she never really thought about what the exam itself would present. And, of course, there was the added factor of Kiri looming over her as he did with the others, as she spoke. That perhaps was the most terrifying of it all, to have someone behind her during the speech. The hour before to prepare only made her concentrate on everything that could and eventually did go wrong.

There was little time left after her speech as she was the final one and immediately she now had to explain, on the spot, why she chose the question. Why did she? There were plenty of other questions on the sheet, ten to be exact, and only one other in the entire room decided to settle on number six as she did. It was just an instinct to pick that question, there was no real deep thought, at least not in her mind, it was just something that felt right. Something she felt like she could answer, but that response wouldn't be acceptable, Sayomi believed, despite what was said forthright.

During the times when Kiri would flick his pen and point in the direction of another student, each time brought a sigh of relief to Sayomi's lips as she used the brief reprieve to try and formulate a distinct answer while half listening to the words of others who were giving explanation, hoping that something they said would trigger an idea in her own mind, though she ended up with nothing of use for her situation each time despite the hope that she held out.

In the end, she was really blank in her mind when it came to a suitable answer and the brunette nibbled on her lower lip nervously as she was pointed at finally once more and nodded in acknowledgement of the undesirable task which now presented itself to her. Like the others and herself before, she stood up once again. "I p-picked my q-question...question...number 6...Uhm..." she stuttered and picked up her paper once more to read the question, reiterating it again. In the eyes of mercy, no one should have hateful thoughts. Feel pity for the man who is even more at fault. The area and size of mercy is limitless. b-because I...g-guess I was d-drawn to that because I...I believe p-people should be given mercy and a s-second chance...” She stuttered out once more. There was nothing more that she could say and didn't even realize that she simply repeated what she had initially said in her speech earlier, but she quickly took her seat once more.

wc: 516
twc: 1,686

Siu

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Lastly a pen would point towards the young kunoichi, Siu. Seeing as she was the last to stand, she had quite some time to prepare in comparison to the others. It wasn't exactly an entire hour of preparation like last time, however it was still rather ample enough time to think more carefully about her answer, in comparison to the participants who had been called up quite early, like Eishi. There was a multitude of extremely intriguing answers from each participant, which revealed quite a lot about their characteristics and mindset, long before one even had an opportunity to sit down and deeply conversate with them, if one listened closely enough, and meditated deeply upon their words. Standing from her own position, Siu would finally begin her turn. She did not mind such things at all; freely expressing ones opinions of deep philosophical topics and their reasoning for choosing such topics? Undoubtedly, she was loving this

Bringing a fist close to her mouth, in order to clear her throat a bit, as if she were she were far more mature than her actual age, she began. "I chose the question: 'Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.' To be honest, quite a few questions on the scroll grabbed my attention, in addition to this one. However, this question in particular rather spoke to my heart in comparison to the others, due to the fact that I actually have quite a large amount of personal experience with this phrase. For me, it is not simply some deep philosophical theory written on paper, but it is an actually experienced reality.
In the beginning, when I first joined the academy, I shared a belief like many others that all shinobi-hood was about was who could obtain the most power in the shortest amount of time. I fact, I figured that all academy teachers cared for was which students possessed the most raw potential and innate talent for that power. And if I am to be completely honest...this was actually very boring for me." She continued, looking downward somewhat after the statement, as if feeling guilty about admitting such things. "However, overtime, I have learned that this isn't always the case. You see, I admit, I am not a very strong person. And because of this fact, I always believed that surely someone like me would never make it in the shinobi world, and that people like me would be considered the bottom on the barrel. However, numerous experiences and circumstances have taught me that survival as a shinobi isn't always entirely dependent upon who has the most raw power, or the most innate talent, or who can perform the more formidable jutsu, but additionally through an ability to successfully read your opponents, and pre-plan your approach. I learned the hard way that not adequately understanding the abilities and capabilities of your opponent until it's too late, when you're already caught in the heat of battle, can not only risk defeat, but also death, regardless of how much raw power, innate talent, or formidable jutsu you may posses."

[WC=524 l Post 2]

Kiri

Yen
ASP
Deaths
When everyone was done, Kiri nodded and went to proceed to the next in line with the today’s agenda. “Good job, everyone. I’m glad you all were able to answer with your hearts into it. Some were long, and others were brief, but at least they were all what you truly wanted to express. I suppose that goes to show how much you’ve all grown and come to consider how this Chuunin Exam is very much different from the usual ones you’ve been to. That said, there are probably a few things you’re wondering after hearing everyone’s responses. Such as… why is it that when two more people have chosen the same question number that their ideas seem far different from what we expect? Ikko and Kyo, for one, were two conflicting answers despite the same question, although their question numbers were different. And that’s the point I want to make with this first two exercise. There was no guarantee from the start that the contents of the scroll were the same. As with every mission you’ll be handling that needs greater assessment and preparation, you’ll have to handle all forms of information differently and assess them by their contents, and not their placemarkers. I’m sure, during the recitation, some of you would have noticed a similar narrative in their answers despite the different question numbers you’ve chose. Those similarities from the choice of words and reasoning you want to convey are important, especially to a shinobi that must be mindful and observant. Also, you all might have already explained your reasoning for choosing such questions, most of it coming from the point of view of experience. It’s quite normal that you’d always gravitate towards something that is familiar to you, and that’s okay. However, there should be more to consider when choosing information, aside from your own experience. Always go back to past learnings, to conflicting ideologies, and even to situations. Did the thought ‘Oh, these questions doesn’t sound like they’re important for a Chuunin Exam’ ever cross your minds? Did some of the statements seem to hold greater value than the other? Indeed, there are several factors that can come and form our judgments.”

Then, he would proceed to flip the pages of the clip file again. He begin to make a quick check on some boxes before looking back at them and saying, “Now then, since you’ve all heard the answers, the questions, and even the reasoning for choosing, and to some extent, already began to rebut others… thank you for that, Miss Blue. Anyway, the next part of this exam will further involve your critical judgment skill. There are ten candidates in this room, nine when you count yourself out of the choices, so within those nine, I want each of you to choose three people. The first one is the candidate whose answers and reasoning you thought were the best. The second one is the candidate whose answers and reasoning you thought were insufficient or simply wrong. And the third one is the candidate you discern to be indecisive, giving a formulaic or cliched response that almost seem like he or she is a fence-sitter. And briefly, please explain your choices of they are based on your own criteria. Please bare in mind that for this part, I want you all to have a frame of mind of a Chuunin who is critical in passing judgment. There can be no ‘no choices’, as you must rank each one of your fellow candidates. It doesn’t matter if that person is repeatedly chosen. What is necessary is honest and sound judgment.”

Kiri let his voice die down and the room drown in silence. He could already tell that the instruction had suddenly made the air in the room feel heavy. It was normal, after all, becoming a Chuunin would require constant critical judgment, especially when they would be entering and vying for their respective branches. Hence, this part of the exam would be crucial for their selection process.

“Understood?” Kiri placed both clip file and pen down on the desk as he leaned against the teacher’s table. “Very well, for this part. Whoever is ready, raise your hand and go for it. I will leave the initiative to you.” And as such, Kiri didn’t move at all, keeping his eyes looking about the candidates. Should anyone raise a hand, he would glance their way and nod his head as if to acknowledge their willingness to begin with this next set of instructions.

[WC: 756 + 1,856 = 2,612]
[Post: 3]

Instructions:
  • Your Characters are required to choose 3 other candidates: 1- the best answer and reason, 2- the worst one, 3- the fence-sitter/cliche/formulaic answer and reason one. Then, you need to defend/explain why you chose each for those positions. It can be long, it can be short. Kiri wants you to think in the mindset of a Chuunin with critical judgment too.
  • There is no posting and Kiri instructed you to simply raise a hand whenever your character is ready, and just narratively say that Kiri nodded at your direction to acknowledge that you are ready to give your speech.
  • 4-Day posting time starts. All responses for the first round must be in by Friday (Feb 2) 11:00PM (UTC+09:00)
  • Next Moderator Post will be at Friday (Feb 2) 11:00~12:00PM (UTC+09:00)
  • Have fun!

Kashino Yuu

Yen
ASP
Deaths
OOC Rank
S-Rank
At that point, Yuu sighed in relief as he finished listening to the other candidates' answers. Yet after that, he was somehow bothered by some of them, especially the ones they answered before they revealed the questions. He really wanted to say anything about them, but he wondered if would do so after the exam. Everything had their own opinions about their choices and mindset and he did have some of his own. And because of his experiences as a Genin and events that turned his life around, he also has some statements that he felt it may contradict the beliefs and knowledge that he knew.

So it was a surprise to him when Kiri asked them to rank the others' answers and the reasons why they chose it. Guess he has to make that chance, but that was only the easy part. As his proctor said, they have to dive into a Chuunin's mindset when discussing these topics, which meant that they have to be critical in their judgment for their reasoning. In other words, he can't sugarcoat most of his words to do so. He was very unsure about how he may pull this off, but since this was a time to share his thoughts about the other candidates' answers, he might as well take this chance.

First off, he took a few minutes to decide on the rank of the answers he felt it may be important to his next reply. They were good answers especially the ones that relate to his goals and motives that led him to be a shinobi, but there are some that left him a bitter taste in his mouth. Some clashed with his beliefs while some that he felt there was a lack of research. But he had to choose only one to give some criticism and he knew choosing it based on his personal preferences may not help him in this exam. As for the third choice, it was a tough one, but there was one that gave him mixed feelings about their reasoning and how it held true to that fact thanks to his previous missions. Once he decided this, he raised his hand and stood up when Kiri gave him permission to speak.

"Well, for what I think it's the best answer, I say Honnou's answer stands out from the rest. We don't know what the future had in store for us and that would say the same regarding the enemies and opponents we may face there. While I did say speculating our opponent's strengths and weaknesses will lead us to victory, the truth is that they can be unpredictable if you let your guard down. As I've mentioned before, they may use a jutsu or weapon that we may never expect them to use regularly. But other than speculation, we may try to do something that wasn't part of our own strategy and plans. As Honnou said, we have to be unpredictable to take control of the battle if we rely on this mindset and I feel he might be right on that subject."

That's one down. Yuu took some deep breaths before he continued his speech. "However, the answer that I feel that it was the worst is Kyo's. It might hold true for your beliefs to be the strongest, but there are times where you rely on others to face the storm together. I know you justified this with the belief of gaining honor and integrity, but just being the best isn't enough to help the village during the storm. If you keep focusing on strengthening your fortitude and power by yourself, then you may face an enemy that you can't deal with yourself. I know there are times we have to brave some hardships alone like in our solo missions and decision you feel to face by yourself, but if you keep clinging to that belief, it may come back to bite you."

That might be a little too critical, but it was true on his part. Because of the shinobi that he teamed up within some of the missions, he managed to face some dangers and hardships without breaking a sweat. He did complete most missions by himself, but he managed to do so with Yuri's help despite a rocky relationship with him. In his experience, working with someone can be beneficial to the village and to his battles as long he made some strong bonds with them.

However, he wasn't done with his speech as he now focused on his third choice. "As for what I think to be a 'fence-sitter', I feel it has to be Minako's. While I understand your reasons behind that answer, I feel that you're somehow unsure about the question you chose. Besides, from what I can understand with your answer to your chosen question, you only based some of the missions that you have experienced and not your whole career as a Genin. Not to mention that you didn't know about the unpredictability of the shinobi. I'm not saying your answer is the worst like Kyo's, but how you answered it makes me think you didn't think of that question too seriously. In fact, I feel that you just chose it randomly instead of learning what you know during your time as a shinobi."

With that, he took a bow before he went back to his seat. He was nervous that the last one was a little too much of a criticism, but like Kiri said, he has to have a mindset of a Chuunin with a critical judgment. So from what he knew, he can't back out right now because of what he said.

[Post: 3]

[MFT/WC: 949]

[Total WC: 949 + 991 + 429 = 2369]

Honnou

Yen
ASP
Deaths
OOC Rank
S
The next inputs were different as well, and also interesting to hear as well. He couldn’t imagine himself coming out with explanations like those, and it helped him to know and learn his fellow Genins to know much better. For instance… hmh, it was a bit difficult to put it in words right now, because as people continued with their inputs, Honnou had to follow up as well and make sure that he wouldn’t suddenly miss out on anything. He wondered what Kiri would plan for afterwards; maybe Kiri would appoint them for different tasks like back at the classroom… maybe not. This wasn’t a lecture, but an actual exam, the ritual which they should pass over in order to be born anew.

Knowing the situation… wait, reincarnation? That was the first time that Honnou had known of that, and given by the meaning of that specific word - ‘reincarnation’ - did it mean that Minako was way older than he thought?! His eyes widened in surprise, almost comically, to the news… that was amazing. He also noticed that some had chosen the same question, but their explanations had been different and so were their reasons for having chosen those questions. Still now, he wondered about just exactly what made him choose question 6. It could have been a coincidence or random choice, but he liked it when things had reasons behind… except when humor was the main atmosphere. And holy hell, already right after Kiri had released that chakra, he felt that the proctor was all but chilly. He appeared steadfast in taking them through this course; it was almost like puberty… then again, he knew very well what puberty was all about, and he didn’t want to curse himself by underestimating things like the classic, karma ways that one would expect in comics.

Suika also had lots of moments and knowledge to support her statement and reason. At this point, Honnou couldn’t wait for what would happen next, and what would exactly happen was all in the hands of the proctors - including those who were watching from the camera. He almost had a thought, or more like half a thought, to wave towards the camera and see if anyone whom he knew of would be able to receive his greeting, but alas, he was smarter than that and kept his calm and focus. He heard Sayomi’s input this time, and unlike the other statements, hers had a distinctive stutter to it. He still got the message, though, and his thoughts to that… mercy… it felt just as human as he saw himself as. Would he be able to show mercy? He never asked himself that question, like, ever… it made him reflect over it. It was as if he had, now, chosen to explain that question, but… alas, once again, time was running.

He might have been able to elaborate in the time that he had… now that he had heard everyone’s reply, he felt a little ‘I could’ve said more…’ and felt that he held back a little. Either that, or the feeling inside of him was mere stupidity. He didn’t like to refer to himself as stupid, though, and he was pretty sure that nobody did. However, Kiri sounded glad and satisfied with their work, and he pointed out a thought that Honnou hadn’t thought too much about; the way that some had the same questions but not so similar explanations and ‘reviews’. He even compared Ikko’s and Kyo’s inputs, and Honnou could see the contradicting forces in their words now. Maybe Kiri was focusing on their psyche? He couldn’t be quite sure as of yet. It was getting more and more mysterious as time passed, and listening to the proctor’s words next, he got to know what they were supposed to do next. After a long explanation of the necessity to be able to handle information, so that you could pass it on, as well as being able to handle different ways of information and data being sent to you, he caught Honnou with the task to be critical. Now, the young Hyuuga could feel that this critical sense was to be used against either some random papers that Kiri would hold - if he even did - or, most likely, just as the proctor mentioned afterwards; he was going to choose three people in this room, as in three candidates to become Chuunins, and he was going to make a sort of hierarchy with 1: the best answer and reasoning, 2: the worst answer and reasoning, and 3: the what? Wait, he called it indecisive, but he gave it the term fence-sitter, which simply pushed Honnou’s mind to the side for a moment. He wasn’t quite sure about the term, but the meaning of it was clear… and he would nod as soon as Kiri asked if they understood.

He would stand up after Kyo’s words and say: “I’d put Arata as no. 1. His answer and explanation does picture a true Chuunin in my head, one who is - on top of their physical capabilities - able to handle issues with such caliber that they’ll be considered this ‘chaos’. They do, in my opinion, need to be able to be aware and utilize a situation fully… it’s kind of the same as Siu mentioned, if my ears aren’t full of earwax.”

He would then turn his face towards the lovely Sayomi and proceed: “I do feel that you can elaborate a bit more… when handing out information, as Kiri mentioned, one has to be able to consider more when choosing information, and that you should come with more input to clarify your opinion… also-” He would suddenly wiggle his fingers as both hands were held up in front of her, ”Mum told me that tickling helps with stuttering… I’ll tickle you thoroughly if we get out alive.”

A brief breath…

“About the fence-sitter… I believe that Eishi has much more fire to spew at whoever wrote the question that he chose,” he continued with a small grin before turning back to his serious tone, “Besides… I’m pretty sure we all used roughly an hour to prepare our answers.” It would have been absolutely hilarious if the inventor of the question was here, so that Honnou could see the look on their face after what Eishi said. And then again, the clearer you make your information come out - including the more information that could be needed - the better the information could be used… that was what he thought.

WC: 3019

Hotaka Kyo

Yen
ASP
Deaths
The scarred boy had noticed that Ikko had directed a glare at him, as he was directing his gaze across the room to those in it when he spoke. He did not know the reasoning behind the boy’s reaction to his words, but he did not return it, he made note of it, and watched the boy more closely than the others in the room outside of the proctor, paying attention to what was said by him and found his answer to be lacking. He felt that much of the boys answer, and those that came before and after him where based upon idealism, which wasn’t something Kyo embraced or felt much on his own, the fact that the boy felt it didn’t matter If you stood strong when those around you drowned was perhaps a sticking point. If they couldn’t stand on their own, or even with the help of those that did, then they deserved to drown, they were the weak, and the truly weak had no place in this world with its depravations and the way those that should stand against it meekly stood aside and allowed it to happen to them and others. And the strong could not stop to help every drowning soul, or they would be overwhelmed themselves, dragged down and drowned along with them as they clambered upon them seeking desperately to get themselves out at the expense of all others. If all drowned around you, then it was simply a task of rebuilding, starting from scratch, with others who had been able to stand from elsewhere.

The fact that Suika had the same question, though from the way she had answered it had appeared more obvious than Ikko’s answer. While her answer had been spoken in a way that Kyo could somewhat agree with, her words ringing true to him, he still disagreed with it in the end, though they were more of a mind in their answers than the other boy’s had been. She spoke also of helping others collectively, though he felt if you couldn’t stand on your own, then all you could do is drag down someone that could when it truly came down to it. It was idealistic as well, but with less of an extreme than Ikko’s had been in his mind.

As the others finished Kyo paid as much attention to them as he had the others, though he had no outstanding thoughts immediately as a result of what they had said like he had between the other two. The exam continued with the proctor explaining that they shouldn’t rely upon personal experience alone, but personal experience, conflicting ideologies and the situation at hand. All of which were valid. Though he spoke of thinking the questions had no importance to the exam, the thought hadn’t crossed his mind as he had learned in his time that those in positions of power mostly had good reasons for what they had them do, for what they said and their own actions. While this wasn’t always the case, he was more than willing to give them the benefit of the doubt compared to others when it came down to it. They had time and again proven to have valid reasons for the most esoteric of requirements, statements or questions. He went on to state that the next portion of the exam would be more critical judgment and thinking, they were to choose one of the nine peers whom they thought had the best answer and reasoning, someone who was wrong, and one who was a fence sitter and clichéd response, though he did not feel the last was an issue, as many formulaic or clichéd responses were that way due to extensive truth behind them, though they weren’t always true in all situations. When asked if they understood, though perhaps rhetorical, Kyo gave a solid nod and answered with a simple but respectful hai.

Kyo had nodded to Yuu, acknowledging his words with the action, though he remained impassive in appearance to the others criticism.

Kyo stood, with his eyes dancing about to the others still seated in the room as he finished his consideration, having already decided on whom he would choose and what they would be, though he didn’t exactly feel that any of them were completely wrong. The boys gaze would settle upon each one that he had chosen as he spoke of them, with a level look that held no ill will or malice in it, neither did his voice, being neutral as he spoke his words. “I have chosen the following three, the first whose answers and reasoning I feel were best amongst my peers is Sui, she displayed a well thought out approach to the question, with an understanding that there is more to our actions than mere strength or aggression, though they too play a part. Her reasoning was sound, and well presented. She looked at it from a personal as well as much larger scale and applied logic to it well in an appealing manner.” With a moment’s pause he continues on, “The second I have chosen is Minako and her answer, the reason is that acting without knowledge is dangerous to not only yourself but all involved. Simply because there you cannot know everything, does not mean you should forgo learning what you can before you act. Simply because you have experienced situations where you did not have enough information does not mean you should dismiss information gathering and the effect it should have on your choices, and I feel that is what her answer is pushing. If it is not, then she was not clear enough in her reasoning.” Taking a moment to take a breath he would continue, “As to the third choice, I have chosen Sayomi. She seems to hold to the belief that all can be redeemed, which is clichéd and may very well result in death or worse if employed in our line of work and life. She did not seem confident in her answer either, more due to word choice than her speech.”

[WC = 2436 + 1019 = 3455]
[MFT]

Yen
ASP
Deaths
This was absolutely hilarious, Kiri gave them another task, and she couldn’t help but laugh her arse off at Yuu’s answer, she wanted to go up to them, slap them, and tell them exactly why she didn’t have a full career as a genin. What a fucking pisstake. Yuu didn’t know she was stuck in hospital for some time, Yuu didn’t know jack shit about her life, or both of them… However, she will not resort to violence, not here, not anyway. She wanted to leave ALL her violent means to her mother, who she still has to kill for the matter. Yuu does not understand… Yuu does not understand… Yuu does not understand… nobody understands, it’s simple and it’s resorted for Minako to have rather dark thoughts, to the point that she wanted to rush over to Titania and Oberon, grab them and slice off Yuu’s tongue. As she knew though, she wanted to leave all her violent intentions for her mother’s murder. Wait a second, how the fuck did Yuu even know her name?! The only ones that were meant to know her name was her friends! Oh, she really could give Yuu a right beating immediately!

“Ai! Snap out of it!” A voice spoke out… it was Akane’s...

Minako’s breath stopped. Everything seemed to have stopped in its place as her head turned around to the others who may or may not be looking at her. No no… stuff and such was still being answered…

What Minako didn’t know however, was that her wings that were shaped like a butterfly have bursted out from her back thanks to her emotions, they were getting too much for her, and so, that was the result… She wanted to break from the people who gave her a hard time, but she ultimately knew in the end that it would not be possible.

OH! NOW KYO WAS GOING TO TAKE THE PISS?!?!?!

“AI! STOP!!!!!” Akane screamed in Minako’s head.

Minako was going absolutely mad here, she didn’t know what to do, she wanted to now run off and cry, did nobody get it?! They called her dangerous, and still nobody understood her… her breathing started to go crazy… she hated it here… she wanted to go away somewhere, somewhere where she won’t have violent thoughts. It reminds her of the time when she was back at the academy, where she barely passed genin because she wasn’t “graceful enough.”

“Ai, listen to me, you’re letting your emotions getting over you, this will fail your exam so hard if you do this… Ai… please… focus…”

Ai… was right…

Sighing softly thanks to her voice of reasoning (literally) Minako was seemingly back to normal, she was slightly ready. With this, she raised her hand and spoke.

“Hmph, it seems my answer is already quite popular for all the bad choices, but I don’t care.” Minako she stood up. She was lying, it was probably obvious that she was lying, she was hurt, she was hurt from what people thought of her.

“I agree with Ikko, it is probably obvious why, but what he said in my opinion is completely true, his reasoning is pretty true and probably one of the most realistic ones in this room.” She wanted to look to Kyo and stick her tongue out before giving him the middle finger, but that would be very rude of her, and may even fail her exam for not being nice to her peers, which is what is usually needed.

Then, she pointed to Sayomi, because she didn’t know their name. “You, I am indifferent to you sweetie…” She walked towards Sayomi, with her butterfly wings out and all, took her hand and sighed softly. “Sweetie, you… need to be… more…” Sighs emanated from her once more. “More detailed to an extent for what the other person said to you earlier.” With them words, she reached her arm out and placed her hand on Sayomi’s hair, ruffling it. With this, a calming sensation washed over Minako, and her butterfly wings vanished, just like that…

Standing up, she looked around some more, and hazed towards Kiri, her blue hues examining him with some… calming intent.

“To be honest Kiri… I… don’t disagree with anyone’s in a critiqued aspect. Them reasons are the way we work as shinobi, the way we have different ideas, we should all, realistically, take it all in and respect them opinions regardless. Sure, nobody may give a shit, and you may force me to make one, but i’m only being honest, which is what you want us to be during this exam.”

“Ai… you scare me…” Akane mumbled in her mind as Minako went to sit back down.

Words: 776
OOC: Akane is in Minako's head, incase any questions are raised x)​
<i>
</i>

Uchiha Arata

Yen
ASP
Deaths
This round was volunteer and as he noticed the numbers dwindling it seemed it was his turn to go. Arata raised his hand before standing up once more. He spent only a short amount of time figuring out what he'd say for the supposed prompt, only figuring out the numbers and that he'd explain why off the top of his head. He picked them for a reason even if it was just subconsciously. For the third time Arata stood with his shoulders squared and his body relaxed. Public speaking wasn't much of a problem for him. He wasn't afraid to speak his mind, he had other things to be afraid of, things even beyond death itself.

"Now it finally feels like we're being tested in a more practical way. To be capable of critical thinking is an important skill to have, in getting a bit off topic already, so let's just jump into it. For my number one, the one who had the best answer in my opinion was Ikko. The answer itself seemed well thought up and planned out as if he looked for all his possible options and chose what to say carefully. However my bias as to agreeing with his answer may also be part of why I make his answer my top choice. I do agree with his reasoning of not needing to be the cleverest or strongest shinobi, everything counts, take whatever opportunities you can get and results will show. Now for my number two, the worst answer. For me worst answer isn't necessarily me saying your answer is bad or anything. Out of a talented group such as this it wasn't easy narrowing it down to what was the worst, however I'm going to have to choose Minako's response. I choose this response due to the fact that it seemed rather.. under prepared. While I don't think it's necessary to write your answer down to be prepared, just thinking about it in your head is enough. I feel Minako didn't put enough thought into hers. That is the key point that made me rank her the worst. I feel thinking things through properly and being confident with yourself is proper for being a Chuunin. If you're not confident in your own plan the. Will those you're leading have faith in you as well? My final point about my choice for this is I thought Minako's answer was the most vague. Not being as specific as the others. Last but not least, the fence sitter. For me this has to be Suika. However I do agree somewhat with her answer. Teamwork is vital, that's the reason three man cells are a thing. However it isn't solely about teamwork. If you don't further yourself you'll only become a hinderance to your teammates and bring them down. A team is only as strong as its weakest link because it is exactly that, a team. I guess you could say do everything in moderation. If you only focus on yourself you become blind to those around you. If you focus too much on teamwork then you fail to keep up with them as they keep growing. Just saying teamwork is everything seems the most cliche. Kind of like as long as I have friends everything will be ok! Which is naive to think so. I'm not trying to place myself above anybody else with my responses, merely I'm trying to help everybody with constructive criticism. Almost like playing the devils advocate if you must. I hope everybody could benefit from my response and further grow upon it."

With that Arata seated himself and would once again await his next task while listening to his other classmates. Was this more than just a test? Was this a way for everybody to know each other better? There had to be some sort of ulterior motive to these questions. He only got more suspicious when asked to rank answers. Instead of everybody's answer being taken equally they were asked to rank each other. That is what lead to dispute, heated rage, etcetera as shown by Minako being an example. Were they trying to be turned against each other? Or perhaps this stressful situation was to be used to strengthen everybody's bonds with each other.

[WC: 713]
[Total WC: 2472]

Funai Ikko

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Ikko managed to simultaneously keep an intense amount of focus on Kyo while absolutely not looking remotely in his direction and it was quite the feat if he did say so himself. Maintaining that much resonating ire without so much as eye contact was rather difficult, but it didn't seem to stymie Ikko's ire whatsoever, the boy seemed rather determined to be pointlessly bitter. However, that didn't stop him from paying attention to the task at hand, in fact it seemed to work in the opposite direction. Giving Ikko a conduit to focus his anger and irritation seemed to be more a boon than a detraction as with so many people talking about super serious subjects would typically cause Ikko to spiral into an fidgeting fit that would give the more attention deficit pause. Normally, this was about the point in time where he'd be trying to rope Honnou into sneaking off and trying to find a way to turn Kiri's barrier into a rainbow, but instead Ikko was sitting attentively and, likely confusingly for those who knew him, paying rapt attention to each and every word the others spoke.

When it was finally his turn to speak, finally getting a chance to get his hand up edgewise, Ikko pushed himself out of the chair and back to his feet, a look of cold determination splayed across his face as he looked out at the other students, steely eyed. The most immediate problem however was that Ikko wasn't really sure what he should pick. None of the answers really...stood out to him. He knew which answer he considered the worst, that was a pretty quick and easy decision. No deliberation was done there, but outside of the worst, actually picking a best or a "fence sitter" was something of a challenge. Not because there were no good answers or because there were no mediocre answers, but more because they were all sort of in that good to mediocre range. None of the answers really stood out and smacked Ikko upside the face as some powerful revelation. Part of that came from the time to prepare and the generally narrow purview of the questions, but part of it was also that you weren't likely to get a lot of profound answers out of a group of children.

"I felt the best answer was Sayomi's and...not necessarily because of the message contained. Calculated daring is an essential skill for a shinobi to have and public speaking was clearly an issue for her. The message she gave, content wise, was a strong one, mercy is a strength not many can afford and snuffing out possibilities by not extending that hand of atonement can often cause more damage than excising the tumor on the spot...but what really stood out to me was that speaking to us looked like the most terrifying thing in the world to her yet she did it anyway. We're going to be faced with hard choices, we're going to run into road blocks and when we do, we need to go straight through them regardless of how hard it is to take that step. Sayomi exemplified that the most."

Ikko shifted somewhat, shooting a sideways, somewhat apologetic smile at Yuu before continuing.

"The, quote unquote, On the Fence answer designation I would have to throw at Yuu. It's not that what he said was wrong or that it didn't answer the question...but if we as shinobi approach such a question with such a surface skimmed glance...then we're likely to die. The key to coming out ahead in any interpersonal interaction is to truly understand the other person and the most important thing to understand is what that person wants. It's not their weaknesses or strengths, it's not what kind of techniques they use...those are details which, while important, pale in comparison to the big picture. Those are micro advantages and they can turn the tide if used properly...but that only scratches the surface of true understanding. If I know what the other person wants to do, what they want to accomplish...I've already answered every question Yuu posed in one fell swoop. If I know my opponent wants to be in my face, I can deduce what routes he can take to accomplish that. If I know they want to be far from me, I can once again limit the possibilities that they would attempt to do so with. This extends beyond combat as well...even when dealing with friends. If I know my friend wants something from me, I can predict and manipulate their behavior around that desire. Not necessarily maliciously, but every action we take influences others whether we mean to or not. Once you know what they other person wants to do, you know how to either enable or disable them to suit your own needs. Poke holes in their foundation and the whole tower will crumble and that begins with understanding what the other person wants to do...not necessarily what they can do."

Ikko's eyes shifted back to his desk as he tried to focus for the answer he had first, tried to really convey his anger and irritation in a more appropriate, professional way. A deep breath was taken as Ikko's eyes swiveled toward Kyo, a slight hint of fury behind those bright blue eyes, before turning his attention back to the rest of the group, determination welling up in his chest.

"The worst answer was mine."

Ikko's eyes turned toward Kiri, a tempestuous gale of a glare, as if this was somehow Kiri's fault that Ikko decided to call himself out. Trying to explain the logic behind it would be a long, circular, and pointless venture, but it certainly made sense in Ikko's head...if in no other fashion. Ikko gripped his desk slightly before continuing as if he was both trying to balance himself and desperately trying to restrain himself from throwing the desk at Kiri.

"I wasn't good enough. There were several different ways I could have pointed out more eloquently just what exactly my point was and several ways further that I could have better described how the dissenting opinion was moronic, backward, and completely and utterly dangerous for our own self-preservation and, most importantly, my conclusion was flawed. I said we deprive ourselves a whole form of strength if we focus solely on the powerful and that was wrong. We need to focus on the fact that everything, whether it is readily apparent or not, is powerful, has purpose. That needs to be our focus and if its not, we miss out on whole new levels of strength we'd never reach with closed minds. I should have conveyed that better..."

Ikko took his seat again, his fuming expression no longer levied at Kiri and was instead directed straight at his desk. Too harsh on himself? Perhaps, but Ikko was never going to accept less than perfection out of himself, especially with the sacrifices already made on his behalf. Even if perfection was impossible, he wasn't going to stop chasing it, couldn't stop chasing it. Ikko would always be one step stronger, one level higher, than he was yesterday. He wasn't going to accept any less from himself and he truly felt his answer was the worst of the lot because it didn't meet the standard Ikko had already set for himself, the standard he HAD to meet.

[1234]

Suika

Yen
ASP
Deaths
It was now the third round in their Chuunin exam and the group's next task, like their last, was connected to their prompt yet again. This time, however, it was a bit more personal. Instead of having to explain their own point of view, they were instructed to praise and criticize others. Suika wasn't particularly thrilled to execute this portion, but she also wasn't necessarily afraid to offend others. No one, in her opinion, should be too sensitive to this segment. Everyone had different opinions and viewpoints, so it was only natural some would clash. She prepared herself mentally for any critiques as she pondered which person's response she'd allocate in which category. She wanted to exercise good, careful judgment, too, so she utilized her time for thoughtful consideration.

As the first hand was raised, Yuu was the first to share commentary on the answers presented. He carried decent rationale in his response and provided adept reasoning. Second, Honnou took the stage. Again, his response brought a subtle grin to the kunoichi's face. Although backed with logic, she couldn't help but to feel tickled by his commentary about Eishi. How did Honnou make even criticism appear harmless? Surely, that was a gift. Next was the scar-faced shinobi, Kyo. His assessment was level-headed and fair. Suika was certain she'd be highlighted in his spiel, but he drove down a different path. His words, just like his demeanor, was solid. Suika nodded her head. Following him down the line was Minako. Her approach was a bit... well, it was somewhat uncalled for. She looked almost visibly perturbed by the previous criticism she received. Had she never learned to handle such in her past lives? Suika couldn't help but to wonder. She then made the bold decision of not answering one of the questions. That was a non-option, as described by Kiri minutes prior, so she wondered what would result from her fiery actions. Inwardly, she shrugged. This was not a matter she needed to be concerned about. After the blonde's flustered display, the exam continued at its consistent pace.

Arata shared his opinion next. To her surprise, he listed her as the “fence-sitter”. She was not at all offended, but blank curiously as he described his reasoning. She didn't necessarily agree with him, especially since she felt he held her position on the matter to an extreme, but the kunoichi humbly took note and brushed it off. Interpretations were as fluid as the minds that formed them. Her words of unity, while could inspire some, definitely possessed the potential to bore others. Suika acknowledged his words and its content with an understanding nod.

Finally, it was Ikko's initiative to answer. His observations were mature, and his change in stature was definitely noticeable to the girl as he presented himself as the worst. Suika didn't agree with him being the worst, but she definitely knew he wasn't necessarily in the right. More on that later. All in all, she was impressed by his speedy recovery. His composure returned as he now made sense. In her opinion, he was Chuunin ready. Her assessment, however, hopefully didn't prove otherwise. She had to be impartial, after all.

Suika raised her hand and confidently stood.

“I found Arata's answer to be the most impacting. Not only did he convey himself maturely, but he accurately backed his prompt with both personal and practical examples. There is definitely opportunity in chaos, and I think it is important for every shinobi here, especially moving forward from this exam, to note that and take heed of his words. It is key to have a sturdy awareness of every situation and see beyond what is presented. As stated by Arata, this is what separates an 'okay' shinobi from a great one.” It was funny how she chose the guy that called her out, but she strove to be as straightforward and honest as possible. Personal feelings, at this point, carried no true weight. If she was to be a Chuunin and, with that, a leader, she would potentially have to exhort people she didn't see eye-to-eye with or even reprimand her fellow peers. Someone without the ability to distinguish this, in her opinion, was not fit to rank up. She continued. “The worst, in my opinion, was Minako's response. Not only was she wish-washy with her stance on the subject, but her words proved almost nonsensical at times. It is crucial to express information accurately and with firmness. Not only was she not clear in her stance, but I found that her supporting argument was insufficient and repetitive. Aside from that, while I believe it is important to be prepared to adapt, one should always strive for information before an infiltration.” She glanced at Minako with a relaxed, yet firm stare. She didn't mean to sound so harsh, but her candor knew no bounds at the moment. She spoke from a place of logic and sincerity. Onto the next.

“As for the “fence-sitter”, although the terms doesn't necessarily appeal to me...” she glanced at Ikko. Her magenta eyes were soft, but her reprimand was intentional. The blue-haired boy was her friend, and although she did feel he was too hard on himself prior to this, she already formed her analysis. “...I believe was Ikko's answer. His stance was clear and well-explained, but his aggressive fixation on Kyo and/or Kyo's contrary view makes one doubt the accuracy of his information. His conviction was clouded momentarily by an aggravated ego. As a mission leader, I would have serious doubts about the the integrity and intent of his words. That is all.” She sat back down. Suika would most likely apologize to the boy afterward. She treasured his friendship, but again, she had to go with what she felt to be true and remain impartial. Submitting to biased feelings that were motivated by favor had no place in a Chuunin's world, especially when the lives of others counted on their unbiased discernment and decisions. In the back of her mind, she still couldn't shake the guilt completely. Ikko was awesome, and her critique centered only on how he handled his response. She hoped he recognized that.

Now, she awaited the three remaining responses.

[WC: 1,038 | Post 3
TWC: 3,778]

Eishi

Yen
ASP
Deaths
"Hah... my turn then," I stated as a fact more than as a question. I had been first to come, first to pick a scroll, and first to be called out to present, but now I had been able to lay back as I had listened to all these kiddies take an ample attempt at trying to shit on each other's ability to write and formulate their own thoughts. I was even presented as a fence sitter, which to be frank, surprised me as I thought I took a very hard stance in one direction. I conclude after that presentation a couple minutes later that, no, I very much did present my stance very heavily towards disagreement with the question. Any way that I looked at it, Honnou was objectively wrong, wasn't he? Either way, I didn't really feel like spending the energy to care too deeply into this juvenile philosophical debate exam. It really felt like it wasn't leading to much of anywhere, but what did I know? Kiri was a crafty snake of a man, he could probably pull something out. I could only hope it happened before everyone started getting butthurt over each other not liking their papers. This whole exercise surely wasn't going to end badly, right?

It was during this clarity, before my turn came, that I decided not to pour too much oil on the fire. I would actually attempt to keep my biting words down for once as I looked over the notecard I had written on, already having decided my answers some previous minutes ago. I had a pretty good idea for a while who was going to be picked, but looking at my top two for the position of my choice fence-sitter, I decided to commit to one and scribbled over my card for a good ten seconds correcting my answer. Looking over the frontmost card once more as I stood, I'd let the small piece of notepad paper fall back to my desk as I began stating firmly, yet calmly, of my choices as I read down my list.

"Best. Surprisingly Siu. She didn't mess it up for once and had some good points that are in line with her character and what I know of her." I paused, smiled at my own snark before letting the next card fall to the desk,

"Worst. Minako. Don't need to reiterate what everyone else said. It's whatever" I shrugged nonchalantly, letting the last note fall and putting the pad back into a hidden pocket under my cloak,

"Wishy-washy. has to go to my main man, Ikko. He sang a song in lieu of a report, are you actually kidding me?" I questioned the class and yet nobody in an exasperated voice.

"Nice tune though, Ikko," I did offer in a sincere enough tone a moment later. When I heard someone had actually given him a commendation for his song I was a bit befuddled. I don't really think off the cuff singing was exactly paramount or noteworthy to success in this world, but I guess I just the slow one in class.

Now that my turn was over, I was curious to see what Kiri had planned next. I assumed it was going to be more pitting us against each other for some reason, but I was always welcome and partial towards that course of action. Who was I to complain about good fortune?

Siu

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Kiri's next activity was indeed not an easy one. While Siu had been in quite a few book and debate clubs before her life as a shinobi, the contents she'd critiqued on in those clubs, and the contents she'd be critiquing on here at the Chuunin exam were entirely different. Critiquing from a average citizen's point of view, and critiquing from a shinobi's point of view were vastly different scenarios.
How 'would' a Chuunin critique? It was a question she'd have to ponder on for quite a while.

Everyone who stood to provide their individual critique all made extremely unexpected choices, and spoke even more unexpected statements. Siu found herself quite surprised by the unfamiliar scarred boy's choice. Though, they'd never met prior to this exam, he'd been the only one thus who actually found her answer most agreeable (Thus far). A faint smile curled upon her lips as he explained the reasoning behind his choice. This had been her first time appealing to a audience of shinobi, and she felt a spark of joy inside at the thought of having been somewhat successful.
In the midst of further presentations, two unexpected phenomenons occurred. First Minako, a familiar senior whom she remembered working together on a mission with for Hoshi, sprouted butterfly wings. Siu's baffled eyes traveled across the room; No one was surprised by that fact at all? Like...it was 'butterfly wings'. Nobody cared neither found that strange at all?
The young girl blinked in confusion. Perhaps because everyone in the room were shinobi, these kinds of occurrences were quite usual for them? Perhaps they'd experience far more bizarre occurrences?
Furthermore, what was more surprising than the spontaneous sprouting of butterfly wings, was the fact that Minako had not chosen to answer all the questions required. Siu gulped upon hearing the older female's decision; not for her own individual well-being, yet for the older female's. They'd only met once, yet she had seemed to be quite a nice and soft-hearted individual from what Siu had experienced. The younger kunoichi pondered just how exactly the proctor Kiri would react, as he made quite clear that there were to be no 'no choice''s.
Ikko's turn was also another great surprise. He choose..himself. "Wait.." The young girl mentally dialogued, "..We can do that? The act was definitely something she would've never expected any of the examinees to perform, and most definitely not someone like ikko of all people. Just what in the world was going on in this room, right now?
The blue haired boy had criticized himself pretty harshly, yet Siu rose an eyebrow. While she understood his reasoning, as he could've definitely explained things better, he also could've definitely explained things worse as well in her opinion. He hadn't seemed to perform nearly as bad as he made himself to, in Siu's eyes. In fact, she'd found his entire answer to be the most creative.

Choosing whom to critique wasn't the easiest task, as almost no one had necessarily provided any 'wrong' answers, per se. The kunoichi felt as if, as many arguments could be made against anyone's answer, as many points could also be made for it. Arguing against most of the answers, would've very likely resulting in nothing but a circle of endless debate, reaching the conclusion that everything depending on the circumstances and situation.
Some moments you required a solo mindset, other moments a team mindset, other moments another mindset, other moments another. A shinobi, in her mind, was meant to be more adaptable, than solidfied. But, who was she to judge?
Raising her hand, Siu took her stand. Despite the perhaps tense atmosphere of the room, due to the judgments already provided, and the previous events and igniting of emotions that unfolded, the youth remained steadfast and unfaltering of her choices and opinion. Like book and debate clubs, where writings and works were meant to be judged with a completely honest and unbiased opinion, so to also were the opinions of each Chuunin examinee required to be judged; with complete honesty and unbiased opinion.

"I selected the best answer to be Suika's," Siu began. "I found her answer to be the most impressive, due to the fact that it requires a large amount maturity, both as a shinobi and as an individual, to reach the level of understanding required for what she explained. It's very easy to become trapped into that pitfall of a mindset, that strength and power alone conquers all. It's quite easy to fall prey into the belief, that through becoming a single and powerful force, one can accomplish all things. Yet that is a grand delusion. A more powerful force, simply means it requires more people to being them down.
Suika spoke that were meant not 'to rise above others, but instead rise with our comrades.' I greatly believe this statement as well. Or else, there wouldn't be so many examinees in this room right now; they would've just picked the most powerful and combat skilled Genin of all of us, if only individual power alone mattered. Neither would there be a need for teams; for everyone would simply perform all their duties and missions alone, or die trying. Her question was also quite a bold choice, as most shinobi, especially academy students, tend to absolutely agree with the selected statement. Therefore, selecting such a widely believed opinion and openly disagreeing with it was a huge gamble all in itself. Yet, she presented all her points clearly and confidently. I greatly respect and admire that." She finished with a solemn nod.

"For the most insufficient answer, i'm sorry, but," Siu continued, turning her head towards her next chosen participant, "I will have to choose you Minako." Her facial expression shifted into one of concern after the words. "I know you have been picked on a lot, and I feel guilty about doing the same, as from a personal perspective you seem to be a very kind and friendly individual. Yet, from a shinobi perspective," Siu continued with a slight pause, in order to more greatly emphasize her point, "Preparation is a very important, even essential tool, even if things can go unpredictably. Obviously, we can never possibly be prepared for 'every' possible scenario. I believe you may have wanted to explain, that one should perhaps not overfocus on planning, neither neglect it too much, or it can possibly work against them, or end up useless. However, even so, if I were to make 100 preparations against my enemy, and only 3 of those preparations ended up becoming useful, I'd much rather have 97 disadvantages against me, than 100." She concluded, her concerned expression still upon her face. She felt a little guilty about her critique, since she was familiar with the older female.

"For the 'fence sitter'," Siu continued, turning to her look at her next examinee choice, "I choose Sayomi. Her answer was not 'bad', per se. However, I feel it could have been more deeply expressed. You selected a very unique question choice, one which most shinobi would never choose, neither even care to express their opinion upon. I admire that.
I also believe in mercy, like you, and that there are people who deserve a second chance. Yet, a large number of shinobi have already heard these kinds of phrases and reasonings a number of times before, as well, and yet firmly continue to believe the exact opposite.
If you simply state that certain enemies don't deserve to die, simply because they deserve mercy and second chances, without a deeper explanation to appeal to their logic and emotions, people will easily dismiss your logic as irrelevant. If I were a battle-hardened Jounin being convinced not to convict a missing-nin to the death after his defeat, and you were vouching for his life, he very likely would've died. In debate club, we learned that even if one's reasoning is completely valid, if you can't defend it well enough, then a completely irrational point of view will still triumph over it." Siu finished, her solemn expression still upon her face. It was perhaps, an entirely different side of her to those whom spent a lot of time with the young kunoichi, However, she took critique of speaking and writing quite seriously.

As the young Genin finished, she provided everyone with a polite and formal bow, before taking her seat.

[WC=1400 l WC 3/5]

Kiri

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Kiri gave a few “ooh”s and “ahhh”s with a nod whenever a student would explain their critic. He was glad that they were very observant about this, and trying to tackle it in a professional manner. There were some, of course, who were still far too removed, or at least, not yet up to the task by way of wording their critic, or even by simply not giving one. He truly felt worried at that, for while this was only one part of the exam, it was also crucial in finally revealing one’s capacity, and judgment skill was a very important thing to have, especially in their line of profession. Kiri would remain a bit silent after the very last candidate gave the critique, before he would come to the next point in hand.

“It looks to me that you’re all quite varied, especially in the way you would discern and give judgment. I understand that not everyone is comfortable wit the act of passing judgment, and some have gone to feel it on a more personal level. Well, it is normal to feel such a way, to be defensive or to be aggressive in our methods and criteria of critique, even to ourselves. It is a normal reaction, further elaborated and sometimes tweaked in order to accommodate the situation we would find ourselves in. Self-incrimination may not always be an answer, either. Owning one’s faults is important, but imagine the effects it would have to others, especially those who were loyal and looked up to you. It would feel like some act of betrayal and selfish whim, even if the intention was right. This is to say, critiques, judgments– when we endeavour to do them, whatever position we are in life, we need to realise that we are not simply talking about ourselves, but we are talking about the relationship we hold with others, whether in comparison by ideology or by sympathy, or even apathy, because even in the ‘lack of concern’ you already position yourself with a certain personal belief to be judgemental of.” He explained as he nodded a few times, hoping that whatever tension there was, any ill will that may have sparked between the candidates would have slowly died down. If not, then their emotions would only continue to cloud their judgments and the rest of the exam could be derailed from their objectives.

Ah, but before that, his eyes would come to fix upon Sayomi, a little critical at the girl’s silence and decision not to answer this part of the test. “I know I said to take your time, but you’ve used up what was given for this particular part of the exam. I’m afraid you’ve missed your chance to elaborate and show your critical skills in this part, Sayomi. From here on, you’d best think if you want to continue or not,” said Kiri as he straightened his stance and formed a handseal. Suddenly, the candidates would feel a spark of chakra pulse on the scroll in front of them, with a light poof of light smoke. From the smoke would appear the scroll, though its paper seemed to have a different color altogether. It was a simple transformation jutsu, to mask the object’s appearance and make it seem different by others. And so, the scroll now has been replaced. Whether it was now in its original form or not, was still unknown.

“In any case, by marking who you assess were the top candidates, the worst ones, and those who need more pushing off their indecisive nature, you’ve all.. well, most of you, have somehow created a hierarchy. In this hierarchy, you have ranked your fellow candidates, as well as yourself. As such, you have a basic idea of propriety,” Kiri waves a hand, “Now, open your scrolls and you’ll see that instead of the multiple questions from earlier, the writing has changed. There is only one thing you must answer this time and everyone has a similar task, and that is– You are now the Raikage and your first objective is to choose one branch and reform it from its current state. This is to say, with the mindset of a Raikage, choose the one branch you deem needs reformation and why. And in doing so, you must compare it to the one branch you deem as necessary. There has to be a relation between them, such as contradictory tenets, but you are free to choose other aspects you which to compare them with. For this, you all have fifteen minutes to think before you give a speech. And this time, you will be addressing me, whom you can pretend is the Sennin of the said branch that you want to reform. For this part of the examination, be tactful, objective, and remember that there’s more to the responsibility of a Raikage.”

Kiri then whips out his pocket watch once more and clicks the button on the top. “Your fifteen minutes of thinking starts now.”

After the fifteen minutes were over, Kiri would then call them all one by one, once more. This time, however, he would try and see if there was any change in the candidates’ temperament. Would the previous tasks inform them or warn them of their choice answers? This would be interesting considering they were also vying to apply to different branches, and it was necessary to see their points of view.

[WC: 909 + 2,612 = 3,521]
[Post: 4]

Instructions:
  • Your Characters are tasked to act as Raikage and choose one of the branches to reform. In doing so, you are given 15 mins to plan your speech. You will address Kiri in your speeches as the Sennin of the particular branch you want to reform, and explain why. In this explanation, you must also talk about the branch you chose as the most necessary, and give a comparison or any sort of relationship between your 2 chosen branches. (example: they have different beliefs and you think Branch A’s beliefs (the branch you want to reform) should be as strong as branch B (the branch you chose as the most necessary).
  • There is no posting order, so just RP that Kiri called you all out, one by one, just like in the POST 1 round of questions.
  • 4-Day posting time starts. All responses for the first round must be in by Wednesday (Feb 7) 9:30AM (UTC+09:00)
  • Next Moderator Post will be at Wednesday (Feb 7) 9:30AM (UTC+09:00)
  • Lili, you may need to catch up on WC to reach the minimum, at the very least, and not miss again in order to reach the minimum posting count.
  • Have fun!

Suika

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Eishi soon followed suit. His answer was pretty typical of him, so Suika wasn't surprised with the amount of depth, or lack thereof, he shared. The kunoichi would probably hold deep concern if the one-armed shinobi went a day without expressing his rugged candor. Regardless of its absence of intricate details, his points proved valid. Suika nodded in acknowledgment after his assessment. Then it was Siu's turn. The girl, so far, had proven herself a strong contestant in this exam. Prior to Suika's answer, she struggled whether to choose Siu's or Arata's as her top pick. The Uchiha's prompt resonated most with her, so she chose his, but there was no question that Siu's speech was among the elite in this exam. Suika admired her mental fortitude and her thoughtful articulation. This was emphasized, more so, after her response to the most current task. As her fellow kunoichi praised Suika's as the best answer, it took everything in her not to blush. It was true that it took a while for the the ex-gypsy to reach a place where she could answer like she did, but it was astounding to her that Siu was so perceptive to that. She really was something.

After the last girl's assessment, Kiri ended the round. Suika blank. Sayomi, the Genin with the speech impediment, was not able to answer. She found it a shame. Deep down, Suika wondered if she'd be able to snap from her spell and recover with a purposeful response. Perhaps she'll find opportunity next time around? Her white-haired proctor wasted not a second as he introduced the next portion of their exam. Suika's eyes focused on the man as her mind received this new flow of information. They were now given the assignment to put on the Raikage's hat and reform any branch of their choice. Not only were tasked to do this, but they were also to compare it to the positives of another branch and highlight how their methods could improve the selected division. They had fifteen minutes to formulate a speech, which was no ample time at all. Suika had to be thoughtful and quick. After her scroll poof'd to a different text as it fashioned a new color, she hurriedly went to work. Luckily, she had partially thought this through way before this exam. She was an ambitious little kunoichi.

After time was up, Suika felt confident with the speech she prepared. Kiri began to call out names. As she figured he chose at random, the Genin did not flinch when announced her name first. Suika immediately stood with poise as she exuded self-assurance. A Raikage, she theorized, had to emit an authoritative presence. Her tone, although assertive, also carried designated respect. Her speech had began.

“I, Raikage Suika, am announcing my plan to reform an aspect of the Main Branch to my Sennin, Kiri-san.” She definitely played into the role. The girl continued. “More specifically, I'd like to make a change in the Academy division of the Main Branch and use the Medical Branch as a direct and positive comparison. Allow me to explain.” The kunoichi began to use subtle motions and gestures throughout the entirety of her spiel. She yearned to be as illustrative and clear as possible. “It has been in my direct observation and personal experience that many students coming into Kumogakure, especially through CPSS, have no clear definition on what and why is a shinobi. Their spirit is uncertain. Many go through the motions of the Academy never really understanding why Kumogakure uses the system it does, what purpose our village has, and their specific role in this. Although speculation at the moment, I believe this can birth resentment and, through that, even more dire consequences. What does the Medical Branch have to do with this? I'll gladly enlighten you.”

She made sure to walk around within her imaginary perimeter a bit. A still log never proved that engaging. “The Medical Branch focuses on rejuvenating and treating a shinobi in three core areas: mind, body, and spirit. In our Academy, we do exceptionally well training both mind and body, but the spirit itself, as I exemplified, is sometimes forsaken. This should never be the case. With this, I have three main points I'd like to share that comprise my proposal. One, I propose that all Academy instructors and lecturers are properly trained to answer the “how” and “why” questions that envelope our youth. I am not stating most lack that information, but it was seldom shared throughout my time in the Academy. This needs to be assured so our students are equipped with a steadfast spirit. Two, I believe students recruited by CPSS should undergo an immediate course that explains the definition of a Cloud shinobi, our history, our language, and subsequent knowledge. Training in the shinobi arts are fine and dandy, but a shinobi without a true resolve, although mostly developed in their own personal journey, can prove to be a huge liability. This foundation needs to be crafted by our higher-up shinobi.” She took a subtle breath. Her speech was almost complete. “Lastly, as the Medical Branch provides constant quality care of ninja within all aspects, I believe the Main Branch's Academy system should instill some type of mentorship or counseling program. I would like to deliberate further details regarding this with Council, but as many have a personal physician, it is important for our youth, especially foreigners brought to us by CPSS, to have access to more of a hands-on guidance throughout their career. The kinks of this system would definitely need to be worked out carefully, but I believe it not only plausible, but necessary and optimal for our village's future. Let us, Main Branch, emulate the care and attention of the Medical Branch and tend to the deepest cores of our students. Thank you.”

Suika returned to her seat. She wasn't sure if her speech was too drawn out or too brief, but she shared everything she had to. Fifteen minutes wasn't long enough to gather the details for an elaborate plan, but at least she was able to explain a concept more close to home. Before her exam, she experienced a moment of explaining what being a shinobi meant to a malnourished student. His care wasn't great, and his muddled thoughts were not clarified by his instructors. If the Academy paid as much attention to their student's needs as a physician in the Medical Branch, surely the division would be more refined and successful in their goal.

Now it was time to await the rest of the responses.

[WC: 1,103 | Post 4
TWC: 4,881]

Funai Ikko

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Ikko had already done quite a bit of work recently and didn't quite have the time or energy to truly dedicate to a meaningful and expressive collection of thoughts and phrases and instead decided to focus on breaking the quadrilateral barrier that separates these people from their faceless and omnipotent puppet masters. Ikko would wait patiently, watching Kiri with tentative agitation, until his name was called and he was pulled before the proctor, his eyes rather tired of these repeated speeches that seemed to do little more than cover only one aspect of what it would be the truly be a Chuunin, but Ikko was pretty resolved not to complain despite seemingly being one of only a few people to step up and contribute.

"As Raikage, I would seek to reform the Main Branch."

Ikko hesitated a moment, somewhat disheartened to be following directly in Suika's footsteps in his answer, as she had nailed a few of the talking points that he was going to throw out there, still, he did have a few things he could bring up that Suika had not touched upon an that was the direction he would have to take, grimmacing slightly in anticipation before trudging along, determined to see this through to the end with the minimal amount of energy, patience, and general time in general that he had in his schedule to keep up with these strange philosophical questions

"I would not seek to reform the Main Branch because of something the other two Branchs do inherently more effectively or anything of the sort, but I would seek to reform the Main Branch into something that has more of an identity. Right now...the Main Branch seems to be there as a place to stick Shinobi that do not fall in to either the ANBU or Medical Branch and, as a result, the Main Branch covers so many domains that it's become seemingly scattered and disjointed to the point where you'd be hard pressed to find too many people that actually know all the functions the Main Branch serves. Disregarding the additional toys and abilities you get to obtain from joining either the ANBU or the Medical Branch.

If I were to reform the Main Branch, I would focus on instilling a sense of structure and organization to it and formally instate teams and squads to give a true sense of identity and purpose to the branch in addition to building upon ways to further empower and improve the recognizably of the Main Branch. I want people to look at a job and say "The Main Branch handles that" instead of "I dunno who handles that, Main Branch probably." A subtle difference, but a notable one. That would be my goal, to establish a firm identity for the Main Branch that goes beyond simply being "Not The ANBU/Medical Corps" and offer real incentives for joining such an organization. Thank you."

Ikko went back and sat down at his desk, conveniently using the fifteen minutes as an excuse not to expand too much on his points because he needed to go the hell to sleep and needed to get this out tonight as he wouldn't be here for the actual deadline.

[537]

Hotaka Kyo

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Kyo had listened the others criticism and praise those about him, taking note of what was said as it helped build a picture for him of their attitudes, perhaps more so than the answer to the questions had been. Even with the differing world views on display, he was satisfied with the others decided to choose the same as he did, and made sure to remember their reasoning, while it wasn’t the same as his necessarily, it was all likely just as valid from their world views. He found it odd that the girl Sayomi had not answered, he did not know if it was from fear of speaking publicly, as she had demonstrated she had issues with that, or if it was a fear of criticizing her peers and possible friends, or if it was something else. He made a mental notation of her lack of action and filed it away to keep in mind should he have to work with or against her in the future.

When the proctor spoke once more Kyo turned his attention back to the man, relying on his tremor sense once more to keep an eye on those around him, hoping to notice any that would try anything before it happened. They were to act as the Raikage, criticizing a branch and utilizing another branch to make the point, or to praise for something they did in contrast to the branch chosen, and all within fifteen minutes that were starting now? Well, that wasn’t quite what he had expected, but neither was the exam as a whole, so while it wasn’t a grand surprise it did require him to attain a different mindset, especially as he was having to address the proctor as the Sennin of said branch. While Kyo had no interest in a leadership role either as large as the Sennin, much less the Raikage, he pushed thoughts of such things aside as he began to focus on the task at hand, they only had fifteen minutes after all to formulate what they wished to say and to get it out right.

When it came time for them to start being called to answer, it appeared that Suika was the first to be called, which was a difference from the last few, perhaps the change in starting choice had been determined by the answers they had given before? Either way, the boy listened as she criticized the Academy of the main branch, which was a similar manner to the way he intended to do in his own answer when the time came. While she focused on the spirit that she felt lacked engagement as much as the mind and body, his own focus was going to be different in his criticism of the Main branch. Kyo and his family had little time or care for the spirits, gods and other things, while they were a thing that may interfere, he had found that as long as they were not directly challenged in their domain, they tended to leave well enough alone. Though he noted as she continued that it was not the same spirit he had taken it for at first, but the intestinal fortitude that they drilled into the students, or apparently in her experience did not. Perhaps their answered would be closer than he had considered at first as she was speaking.

When she was finished with her answer, it was apparently Ikko’s turn, the one that seemed to have taken an issue with him even though he did not know anything about the boy, he waited, listening to him and his answer, also reforming the main branch and for a moment considered changing his own answer but decided against it just as quickly. The scarred boy watched and waited until he was called upon to answer the same question as if he was in the same situation, as Kyo stood, instead of simply answering from where he had been behind his desk the boy moved to stand nearer the man that he was to address as his junior, in charge of one of the branches in his village. They boy stood tall and silent for a moment as he simply watched the man silently before he began to speak, “Kiri-san, I am sure you have an idea as to why I have called you here today.” The boy paused a moment before continuing, “There are some concerns I have with the way the Academy is being run currently, mainly with how easy we tend to be on new students. It ill prepares them for the hardships they shall face in the future, where discipline and hard decisions lay in their path. There are times when students have harsh teachers, while others get no experience with them, instead being coddled along. Our numbers are not so low that we must stoop to such levels, and we have no current plans for war that would require the increased number of lesser suited nin that we are currently seeing. “ He paused a moment before continuing, “To that end, we should increase the requirements for graduation, and increase the harshness of training as they near their graduation, including separation from family for extended periods of time and forcing them to not consort with others outside of their class. As the Anbu have shown, this is an effective way of weeding out the weak from amongst the ranks, as well as forcing lasting bonds on those that are part of the experience.” Pausing a moment he finished, “I expect to see these implemented starting the beginning of the year, for all the oldest students, and then rolled out progressively for the rest of the students in waves as our instructors become more accustomed to the necessary activates. You should beginning the training of the instructors as soon as possible.” He would then wait a moment before adding, "Your dismissed Sennin." with a nod to the man before he would return to his seat himself.

[WC = 3455 + 1002 = 4457]
[MFT]

Honnou

Yen
ASP
Deaths
OOC Rank
S
Oh well, the round went pass him smoothly. It appeared that people had different views on everyone’s small inputs to the exam, but Honnou expected such. They were all different types of shinobis, and variation was inevitable in every way. Kiri, however, saved his words for later, and he kept expressing himself throughout their answers with different sounds of realizations and approvals. Some had… huh… his answer did appear unique for him, either that or he overheard someone claiming the same as him. He really needed to keep his ears open now, he was in the middle of a darn exam; for all’s sake, keep your head in the game, Honnou…

According to Kiri’s next words, Honnou began reflecting over his earlier words. It most likely mirrored his relationships in this room to some extent, especially his little comment to Eishi. However, the next thing that happened was that he was allowed to open his scroll. The same scroll that his questions were written on before, he assumed, in which he did so. Whilst throwing a glance over the content, Kiri now gave him a task that was well familiar with the Hyuuga boy - the role of none other than Raikage. Once again, Honnou was going to wear the authorized hat and think like the shadow of their village…

Both Suika and Ikko aimed to reform the Main Branch, and for different reasons so. However, the Hyuuga boy was more or less confused at first with what branch that he should consider reforming as the role of Raikage was put upon him again. He had to think a little more… there were three branches; Main Branch, ANBU and Medical Branch, so what was more reasonable to reform?

At last, he went with the ANBU; thinking about Ikko’s small presentation, he stepped up when chosen by Kiri right after his preparation and spoke: “*ahem*… I’ve taken notice that it’s getting more and more certain to feel the presence of ANBU members in Kumogakure. I find it worrying that their ancient values such as the chainsaw-sharpness in their stealth is lowering in return for lighter burdens. Holding onto one’s values should be key for every shinobi, and we can exemplify the Medical Branch in this case as they are standing out from the two other branches in terms of purposes in a large margin. Yes, connections between the branches is a good thing, but we could risk blending them too much if this continues.”

“Therefore, I highly suggest to you, ANBU Sennin, that your Branch returns to the more serious cases and challenges that befit this special unit. Despite people knowing your name, ANBU is secret incarnate, and it should stay that way lest you will end up losing character - *ahem* and thus end up as Ikko’s example of the Main Branch.”

It sounded a bit half-done, perhaps a bit too broad and less precise, but in this specific case, that was what the Raikage had in mind. However, he was well-aware that the cases he mentioned weren’t actually supposed to be too real out there… unless if he missed some news…

“That was all from this class’ late Raikage.”

WC: 530 + 3019 = 3549

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Despite all the disappointment, the anger and the sadness over what everyone seemed to choose, she managed to keep herself calm, well, managed to. It didn’t stop her from wanting to wreck everyone in the room and probably behead them, but Kiri helped a lot. He didn’t say anything concerning it her anger, her over-emotional state. Maybe Minako wasn’t good with kids, maybe she can just put it down to that, it would make her life so much easier for her. Nobody may understand her, but Minako believed in herself, and now just wanted to focus on getting past these bloody exams for the sake of passing them. She simply couldn’t have fun anymore… well… she could try…

“My outlook is shit.” Minako mumbled as the examinee’s were then given their next task.

Minako was well and truly fucked. How the hell was she supposed to answer this… that was when she placed her head on the desk, her hair draping over the table in thought. She was glad that she had some time to go with this, but she was really struggling with the fact that she had to do this task, and with the fact that a ton of people really disliked her reasoning, to her outrageous outburst, she became very tired… she now just wanted to go home and have a nap, that trail of anger just… drained her.

In her thoughts, she would think of multiple ways to think of how to go about with the task that everyone was given. It… wasn’t going well, she was continuing with her thoughts, it wasn’t the fact that she knew she couldn’t nail it. She could perform this task just fine. It was the others she was worried about. They judged her somewhat when she gave her reasoning, and it was absolutely stupid.

After her savage thinking methods. She was pointed at with Kiri’s pointing finger, the others seemed to do a fantastic job, and it made her wonder if she was even able to manage to answer this correctly.

Standing up, Minako gave a stretch before placing her hands softly on the table and gave Kiri a small, but calming smile. She was trying to comfort herself, she was so anxious and tired right now. She didn’t know if she was ready to snap again, but she was going to try her best this time, and without everyone wanting to pick on her or judge her or even disagree with her.

“I hope you are having a lovely day so far, ANBU Sennin, and I hope that me calling you was not much of an issue.” Minako started, before looking to the side. What is this?! Auditions for a part in a play or something?!

“I believe there needs to be a couple of things that we can most certainly discuss. But mainly, I believe we should discuss the reformation of the ANBU branch, slightly” Was she doing this right?? She damn well hoped so. “I believe there needs to be a few safety things that needs to be involved with ANBU. While ANBU work in the shadows, it is very likely that they will be injured regardless with the work they may or may possibly not do.

While I understand that checks are placed to make sure people are fit enough for ANBU, I also believe that it would be a great idea to let them at least have first aid training of some sort. Sure, we have amazing medical facilities and shinobi that can help with their wounds. But I believe that some ANBU may be too reliant on them to the point that they won’t be bothering to learn it themselves. If they learnt some, then maybe we can keep the ANBU safer while they go around, it could help the team a lot, even if only one of them knew.

I thank you for taking your time to listen to this.”

That was when Minako sat down. She was nervous and worried. However, she hoped that it was enough.

“I hope I did it…” Minako mumbled… “Please let me not get judged harshly this time… that was cruel…”

Words: 694​
<i>
</i>

Kashino Yuu

Yen
ASP
Deaths
OOC Rank
S-Rank
After he answered what it was needed for the last round, he spent the rest of it listening to others' answers while he pondered about his own. He already knew he was a bit too critical to his answer, yet he wondered if it will have an effect on the other candidates. He knew from the exercise Kiri gave them, he has to be very critical in his judgments as a Chuunin and there will be consequences to the criticized shinobi regarding their thoughts and motives. However, if he wanted to pass this exam, then he has to swallow his pride and try not to be too lenient to others.

Now for the other candidates' answers, he was surprised how many of them labeled Minako's answer as the worst. Sure, he labeled her as a fence-sitter not because he didn't want to offend her, but because that she was indecisive regarding her experiences and the question she was given. But just hearing the reasons from the candidates did actually make sense. Abandoning the knowledge they knew and having a speech unprepared were the reasons that described Minako’s answer as the worst choice. He can understand why, but he doubted that she wouldn’t like those answers, especially that he slightly noticed her erratic breathing before she stood up to give out her answer for this round.

However, some of them are okay regarding his answer as he gave a nod back to Kyo, which he was appropriate with his reaction. He knew his comment about his answer made sense and it seemed he understood his critique. Though the only critique he was surprised with was Ikko’s as he labeled him as a fence sitter due to how speculating and strategies can deal with relationships. But Yuu wasn’t mad at his answer. In fact, he understood what he was saying about his answer. Interpersonal relationships are also keys to victory and manipulating them can be a double-edged sword. It may hurt them by twisting their feelings or it may help him enable or disable their strategies. Regardless, he might as well take Ikko’s words for the heart. Planning and strategy aren’t the only way to gain an advantage in a mission or battle.

Once that round was done, Yuu was quickly startled when he saw his scroll slightly exploded in a light puff of smoke as he saw another one in its place. He has no clue whether it was a transformation jutsu or a teleportation jutsu, but he listened closely to Kiri’s next task before he opened the scroll. This time, he felt a slight pressure like butterflies in his stomach as he has 15 minutes to think about how to reform one branch and use another one to compare it to another. But unlike before where he has to think like a Chuunin, he has to act like a Raikage this time while pretending that his proctor was a Sennin to a branch he has chosen. It was a tough objective for Yuu, but he has to use 15 minutes efficiently like before. If he wanted to show his experiences he learned as a Genin, he might as well try to stay tactful and objective like before.

As 15 minutes were up, he stood up as Kiri called him out to him. He already listened to the others' oral essay while pretending as a Raikage, yet they were enough to make him nervous once more. He wanted to try to stay tactful and critical like Kiri said, but in all honesty, this might be his toughest round ever. But he then shook it off as his expression turned serious. This was the big test for him, showing him how he grew during his 3-4 years of his life, so he didn't want to waste this experience for anything.

Once that small thought was over, he then cleared his throat before he started his speech. “Kiri-san, I just noticed about the Main Branch’s training on the Academy Students and I want to change the format of their lessons. For one thing, I noticed that some of the classes and training were only focused mostly on shinobi basics and introduction of the branches. However, we need our students to work together in any kind of missions and that means they need better teamwork and communication, especially to other shinobi from other branches. And as I noticed from the Medical Branch, they were able to teach them through their medical lessons and hands-on classes.” He then took a deep breath before he can continue. “I propose that there should be some team-based exercise outside of lessons to make sure the students will have time to get to know about their classmates and their talents in the field. I also want to propose to have more lessons other than the basics such as the psychology regarding survival and consequences as well the relationships between the Main Branch and the Medical Branch and ANBU. That is all, Sennin.”

With that, he gave out a huge sigh of relief as he sat back down in his seat. In his honesty, he has no interest in becoming a Hokage for now. Besides, he still needed to work on his oral presentation and his leadership skills.

[Post: 4]

[MFT/WC: 878]

[Total WC: 878 + 949 + 991 + 429 = 3247]

Uchiha Arata

Yen
ASP
Deaths
The Raikage was one of the if not the most important role within the village. It isn't given out likely and now Arata himself was the Raikage. An urgent situation has come up before him. One branch needs to follow the example of another and improve. From his time in the main branch in his youth Arata could remember his genin and chuunin, even Jounin days before he became Raikage. What he noticed was the main branch seemed rather.. lazy. They didn't have their own particular task to complete like the medical and anbu branches. With a deep breath Arata stood up and gave Kiri a stern look.

"As my main branch Sennin, I need you to lead the main branch in a better directions. Currently I feel the Jounin are lazy, merely leading a laid back lifestyle instead of giving a good example for others to follow. With that said, I expect monthly quotas. Every shinobi within the main branch should be completing missions monthly. I understand weekly would be a bit too much as some take on more dangerous and long term missions than others. However if you may you can add to the quota that perhaps for Jounin there are monthly quotas, chuunin bi-weekly quotas, and genin weekly quotas. Something along those lines is fine, however I expect every shinobi to complete one mission per month. The main branch is supposed to be the bulk of our shinobi. I think they should look at the ANBU branch and take note. T hey seem to have the right idea when it comes to being active. Now I'm not saying the main branch is doing poorly, more like I expect more. I expect a report every month on their progress and accomplishments. I also expect you to take initiative."

With that Arata sat down. Personally he didn't think there was too much wrong with the branches, at least at the moment. Perhaps he just didn't care enough to think about it and look into it at all. However within the given time he had that's all he could come up with.

[WC: 352]
[Total: 2,824]

Current Ninpocho Chronicles Time:

Back