Ninpocho Chronicles

Ninpocho Chronicles is a fantasy-ish setting storyline, set in an alternate universe World of Ninjas, where the Naruto and Boruto series take place. This means that none of the canon characters exists, or existed here.

Each ninja starts from the bottom and start their training as an Academy Student. From there they develop abilities akin to that of demigods as they grow in age and experience.

Along the way they gain new friends (or enemies), take on jobs and complete contracts and missions for their respective villages where their training and skill will be tested to their limits.

The sky is the limit as the blank page you see before you can be filled with countless of adventures with your character in the game.

This is Ninpocho Chronicles.

Current Ninpocho Chronicles Time:

Last Meal

Kairyuu

Supreme Leader Bone #9513
Staff member
Yen
ASP
Deaths
OOC Rank
S
The room was dark, the little light there was coming in from the open windows that let in the soft sounds of the night and a cool breeze or from the candles sitting upon the table. The hushed murmur of voices reached into the room through the open door that led to the rest of the restaurant, a place that Hoshikata had just recently found and decided to enjoy. He'd gotten a private room, just dark enough to be mysterious and give atmosphere, but not so dark as to be a hindrance. There was a table, large enough for four, with as many chairs around it, but those were being removed. A while cloth covered the oak table, and a silver candleholder held four burning waxes. The band playing a soft tune would just reach into the space. It was good.

Hoshikata decided to drop his robes for this night. His hair, normally a wildly flowing mane of white, was pulled tight into a ponytail, which had the added effect of bringing a more youthful look to his face. In the dim light he appeared almost normal in skin tone, if a touch dark. But the robes were gone, and perhaps this made the biggest impression on those who knew him. He was wearing a suit, a complete three piece suit and tie. Nostalgia, perhaps, to a different time, for it closely resembles his attire of old in all but color. A black jacket over a dark, almost black, purple shirt with black pants and boots. It created quite the contract from his skin and eyes, but he hoped in this lighting it would merely blend well.

This could be his last meal in this village as a free man. On the morrow he would depart for his old home, to undo the deeds of his past to the best of his ability. On his return, he had no idea what date awaited him. But for the moment, he was here and this was now. He would enjoy this meal, his first with Haruka, his last in the village.

He stood beside the table waiting on her, one hand on her chair and the other holding a rose. A single rose, a symbol of what he hoped to be a long relationship.

Yen
ASP
Deaths
A brush tinged with traces of blush swept across her cheek bones methodically. She spent her early evening in front of the mirror, but her thoughts drifted heavily through events of the early day instead of her actions. She painted her face like this everyday, a well organized mask the Crow arranged. Masks on all the faces of those around her, everyone wore them. How could she trust anyone after what she had seen? Not just the events in the Raikage's meeting room, but the acts that had transpired in the last three years piled up a thick defense against her trust in humanity. Natsu made it so easy to trust, he almost succeeded in pulling her from her icy fortress... Masao melted her fast brace of solitude, but the ice was beginning to thicken again. The Raikage was not the man she thought him to be. She was disappointed to find the stories that Masao had told her were anything but truth. They were mere fables, the tradition of Cloud to massacre their leaders' characters to elevate them to heavenly positions. That meant Masao had lied in a way. Haruka was not awarded ultimate loyalty from her closest friend, yet she blindly would give her life for a village that would be quick to point a finger at her if anything were to go wrong with Hoshikata. This was not a raw corruption of evil, but it was a corruption nonetheless. She knew not if she should be more upset with her own behavior, or from her new view of the leaders of Kumogakure.

She woke up from her daze to find her make up perfectly done. Her hair entangled in an intricate style as the gleaming strands of coal colored locks settled on her head, held in place by strategically placed pins. She wasn't convinced this was her. Haruka knew nothing about herself as the days rolled and heaved onwards. A reflection in the mirror frowned back at her. To avoid looking at her doppelganger any further, she dragged her almond gaze towards the window sill where the withered remains of thirteen yellowed roses sat in a vase under the sun. A secret admirer... You knew very well what those roses meant the day you handed them to me, Masao. Yellow, as a gesture of friendship between us. Yet, there you were playing the fool to remain enigmatic as always. She bite her lower lip in aggravation. The only noise that settled in her ears was the low clicking of a clock. A quick look and she saw it was almost time. She let time slip by during her reflection session. Haphazardly she sifted through clothes in her closet until she drew out an outfit that she found suitable for the occasion.

The meal, their first official date, held more somber meaning for something that should have been more joyous. The dim glow of the room bounced off her pale skin, casting an ethereal glaze of candlelit light on the Shima woman as she finally sauntered into their private room. The chatter of the main floor bit at her back as she looked up finally at Hoshikata. Her heart thundered with childish affection for the man. She clutched the gem around her neck, a habit she developed recently for courage. His new choice of clothing was gallant on him, and even in the low light his skin glowed like a dying sun. She bowed upon entry of the room to the man, a formal habit she didn't really need to use with him. Alas, Haruka was methodical in her ways and the execution was carried without much thought.

Her cold frame moved towards the chair where he presented a rose to the Haku. She held it carefully between her fingers admiring the deep red of the blossom. Red; sincere love, courage, passion. Only one usually represents love at first sight, something we hardly had although I was enchanted to meet you. Of course it can mean you are the one. I wonder just how much he knows about the language of flowers? She smiled sweetly at the Seer, a certain private smile she had not shown him in the office.

"My apologies, I did not mean to keep you waiting this long." There was hesitation in her voice. She wanted to say something more. Something less mundane. They had just gone through so much, but Haruka was powerless to summon the appropriate words. Her feelings were a muddled mess, and it didn't help that she barely understand emotion to begin with. She felt like a child, powerless to comprehend and witless to bar the words she wanted to say to him.

Kairyuu

Staff member
Yen
ASP
Deaths
OOC Rank
S
In his mind, beautiful was not a word that did justice to her, though he knew it was less her physical form and more the effect she had on him. Still, none could doubt her fashion as she simply outmatched everyone else in the establishment. For a moment he stared at her, dumbfounded. Somehow this woman loved him. He wasn't sure why, he wasn't sure how karma could give him something so precious as Haruka's heart. But it had and he did and he would be damned if he let it go.

”I would wait until the end of eternity for you, my dear.” He steps forward, sliding the rose into her hands and pulling her chair out with his other hand as he does. ”I'd wait even longer if I knew I would get to see you in this dress.” A wink and he steps back so she can take her seat, gently easing her chair back to the table before taking his own. It was not so far apart as the one in the library, indeed, they could reach out and touch hands should they desire.

”I'm not sure what punishment might be decided on. I'm not sure if the next time I'm in this village, I will even be me. So I want tonight to just be you and I. So that no matter what happens, we have this memory until the hardships are over.” Hoshikata reaches for her hand and graps it firmly, but not harsh. ”Whatever is decided, nothing will ever change my feelings for you. Even if I become someone else, I will love you unconditionally.”

As the waiter brings in a bucket of ice with a bottle of wine, he steps aside to await their orders. Not wishing to put a rush on her, he holds off his own order until she places hers. ”Gyokairui Bansan.” The waiter nods, moving off. Leaving the two alone for the moment as Hoshikata pours a bottle of the fine red wine into their glasses.

Yen
ASP
Deaths
"Always so thick with the smooth one liners." She murmured teasingly as she sat down at the table. Absentmindedly, she adjusted the arrangement of flowers strung up in her hair while he made him way to the other side of the table. This old scene again. The same fancy restaurant, but with just another man across from her. Hoshikata was definitely refined, far more than her last date, so Haruka held her tongue when he told her the place. She honestly hated stuffy environments such as this. Her whole life she spent afternoons and nights at dinners with her father's business partners in exact places as this. Even though the Shima princess was gifted with refined social graces, Haruka felt on edge in the atmosphere. She was caged, and it only reminded her of the childhood she walked away from.

She smiled at her sun once again as he closed their distance, wrapping his hand softly in her's. All she could do was nod back at him as he spoke such heavy feelings towards her. She didn't know how else to respond. Saying how she felt wasn't easy. "I fear I stepped over my lines back there. I got so angry. I've watched innocent people be tortured in the most violent ways right before my very eyes and never said a word of protest, but Hayata-Sama refuted my good intentions and I completely lost it. My apologies if anything I did or said put you at greater risk. I-I don't know what came over me." She stammered, averting her eyes away from his. Their conversation was interrupted by the waiter, even after the man was gone though Haruka remained silent. She thought of the day, ticking over every single detail that ran through her brain. A million images, sounds, and feelings exploded in silent as the Isaki poured their wine.

"I never wanted you to do any of this for me...I can't help but feel responsible for what may happen to you. I just wanted to free you and I'm putting you back in a cage. I've been selfish, as always, and I am sorry. Back in that office, I decided to protect you even if they would cast me out and call me a traitor. I'll do just that whether you forgot me for a while or they exile you. No matter what my superiors might think of me. Although I'd never betray my village, I can't help but think the Raikage thinks me weak and stupid. He makes me so angry... I've never been so insulted in my life. Why would I turn my back on Kumogakure?" She tensed up thinking about Shin's stern eyes on her. She shook her head, wanting to shake herself from the anger that was rising back.

"My apologies. I'm being selfish again. I am truly happy that you are here with me." She smiled softly under the dim lighting.

Kairyuu

Staff member
Yen
ASP
Deaths
OOC Rank
S
”What can I say? You bring out the beautiful words in my mind.” He moved over to his seat and sat, his eyes coming to rest on her once more. His gaze was open, not in a brash and uncouth manner, but open in the sense that she could, finally, see what exactly was going on in his mind. And all that was there was her. He gave her the look a man gives the sun after days in captivity, that which one would give water after months in a desert, the look at someone who didn't even know he was without something until it came into his life.

”Nothing you did has put me in any position worse than that I put myself in.” As the waiter left he picked the conversation back up with that one sentence, knowing it would not allay her worry but also knowing it might give some small modicum of comfort in this uncomfortable time. He himself was as well, so unused to this aristocratic setting. The last time he'd eaten at a fancy place like this, Hoshikata had gotten a cheeseburger just to rebel against the status quo of his station. Now he was doing this not for him, but mostly because he wanted one candle light dinner with her, whatever the discomfort it brought him, just to be a bit romantic for once.

”Haruka, you're not responsible for my actions. I would have done this regardless, because it was the right thing to do. What I've done, I cannot undo. I know this. But I can work to try to alleviate my sins. The only thing you're responsible for is reminding me of what I am, and showing me what I'd become.” He smiles, reaching for her hand and gripping it gently. ”But yes, your Raikage is rather thick headed. I've attempted to assist him with sound advice once already, I do hope once this is over he'll let me give him some pointers on dealing with people.”

He lifts the hand to his face, taking a breath and kissing it softly before lowering it once more. He wanted to smell her, her fragrance and her natural scent. He saw her, he heard her, now he smelt her. He wanted every part of this night so firmly rooted in his memory that no matter what came tomorrow he would know, without a doubt, how important she was to him.

Yen
ASP
Deaths
"We are going back to your homeland tomorrow to dispel this power given to you. How are we to do such a thing? How did you even come across this power? Back in that conference room, I realized how little I really knew of you and your past. There is a reason people fear you, a reason you are called Hoshikata the Liar. I have yet to grasp why, quite honestly I don't want to understand it, but if I remain ignorant I suppose I am no better than those who aren't willing to forgive you. As Spymaster, it is my duty to gather information and understand. So tell me, Hoshikata, where exactly will we be going and what will we do once we are there?" Her steel eyes glinted under the low light, narrowing as she attempted to grasp just what their purpose was in going to Kirigakure. It seemed like a suicide mission. No one had been able to enter the ice land, as far as she knew. The blizzard was so fierce that it forced even the most loyalist and bravest shinobi from their homeland. She did not fear the cold, but the factor of unknowing. She felt as if her team were blindfolded, trusting the words of a man they called Liar.

She loved him, but she was not foolish. Before he spoke though, the waiter came back with their meal. That awkward pause in their conversation. She inhaled sharply, letting her cooling breath escape into the air silently. The journey would take much time from her. Time away from the village, just when she felt as if she was settling back into the grind once again. Her father and his family had become indifferent to her, but she assumed that could not last much longer. Harukaze refused to let his daughter shame him and rule her own life. She expected him to be planning yet another counterattack. He seemed bent on throwing her life off course. With his many connections, it was very possible. Then there was her newest protègè, Shinomiya Masaru. She'd have to let him know she'd be leaving for a small time. He had his academy classes to worry about, but living in the Shima household made her hesitant to leave him. She worried Harukaze might drag Masaru into their little game. And last, but certainly not least of her worries was Do Natsu. She felt uneasy leaving him unattended.

Kairyuu

Staff member
Yen
ASP
Deaths
OOC Rank
S
His face freezes, momentarily, at her questions. It was natural for her to ask them, for their very lives could depend on the answers he gave. That knowledge did little to ease the fact that he didn't want to answer, not because he didn't know what lie to tell; he didn't want to because he didn't want to lie to her but knew the truth could shatter this. The waiter saved him for the moment, a sigh bringing motion back to his features. With a smile, Hoshikata look down for a moment before looking back up at her. His smile turns wry, fading as he thinks over the questions. Finally, he takes a sip of his drink and responds.

”They're right to call me that, for I have been a liar my whole life as you've seen. This is a bit of a story...and one I am no longer proud of. After we eat? So the food doesn't go cold, at the least.” With that, he begins to eat, his dish was not large, but very tasty. After he finished, and she does, he leaves the money and tip and takes her hand, leading her out into the cool night air. ”I tried to have a nice, tasteful dinner but honestly I can't stand those stuffy occasions if I don't have to.” Hoshikata smiles, letting her lead the way as she knew the city better than him. And so he begins...

”Like I said, it's a long tale. The Isaki Clan founded the settlement that would become Kirigakure over a thousand years ago. There was a battle on the island that moved into the crater. A giant creature broke through the water and the members of the Isaki Clan fell down and prayed to it, and it destroyed their enemies and slunk back into the depths. My clan came to revere this god as the Deep One, and through sacrifice and faith it brought the clan immense wealth and power. For centuries none dared to cross the Isaki, and in the world of economics the clan reigned supreme.”

“There were some nay-Sayers, for instance the grandson the founder of the clan, one Isaki Tsukiakari, led the clan into a downward spiral. Mostly it was just a poor time all over, the clan was still doing well, just not as well. While the rest of the world starved, the Isaki clansmen threatened rebellion because they had to eat chicken instead of steak. Tsukiakari attempted to rebel against the Deep One, claiming it was to blame. He gathered together the greatest practitioners of chakra magics, and the greatest weapon-smiths in the world. Gathering the precious gemstones of a foreign kingdom, he had them force the Staff of Verin, a powerful weapon capable of absorbing souls.”

“Tsukiakari vanished with the weapon, claiming he knew where to find the Deep One, and that he would kill it. No one saw him again, and a few weeks later the new heir took over. Over the centuries, worship of the Deep One declined. About two centuries ago it was considered distasteful and the records hidden in the crypts beneath the Isaki manor. When I was five, I found those records.”

“I began to practice worship of that god. My family couldn't stop me, for it was the basis of our clan at one point, but it was a constant thorn in their side. When I was passed up for Mednin Sennin over a foreigner, I decided to seek out my god and demand to know why my worship was not paying off like it should have. On the way there, I found the Staff. It held the soul of Tsukiakari, who had been vanquished and sealed within it. He offered to help me defeat our god, but I wasn't there to fight it.”

“The Deep One didn't care. It set me on fire, I felt my insides burning to cinders, flames sprouted from every pore of my body. And then it cast me into the waters of the dead in which it lived. I should have died, but the combined power of Tsukiakari's and my grandmother's souls not only protected me, but got me home safely. That is how I came to look as I do now. When it assaulted me, the Deep One linked itself to me.”

“I used to have rather pale skin like your own, but my hair was a platinum silver, and short. I also had heterochromia, one eye was gray and the other purple. People called me a ghost, for I looked as one. I woke up after that ordeal looking as you see me now.”
He motions to his yellowed skin, golden eyes. ”I decided then and there to take up Tsukiakari's offer to deal with our god. I even got my brother Karurosu on board. But my father found out and attacked me. It was a brief struggle, but the Staff...it moved on its own. It killed my father and absorbed his soul. And Tsukiakari grew stronger.”

Hoshikata stops, looking up at the moon as he goes over the memory of that fight. Tsukiakari's laughter ringing off the walls, his father's sightless eyes staring up as a look of pain was forever etched on his face. Hoshikata himself only showing curiosity at the act of fratricide instead of horror. ”I was Mizukage when this happened. I quit, then and there. I took the staff and fled into the caverns under the village. I was gone for a year. When I returned, I felt I had gained mastery over the spirit of Tsukiakari. I enlisted the aid of my brother again, and we went into the catacombs under the manor to find our god.”

“I....”
Again Hoshikata stops. This was the part he did not want to say, more than any other. ”Haruka...I am not the same man I was when this happened. But if you choose to end what we have after hearing this, I will not blame you.” His golden eyes meet her own hazel orbs as he begins once more.

”I had my mother with us, in a sack. When we got to the Deep One, I sacrificed her to the spirit of Tsukiakari. The Deep One was hoarding the souls of the Isaki, it had been for centuries, keeping them from passing on. I promised them an afterlife if they helped me defeat it. Tsukiakari aided me. Karurosu aided me. And I fought. And we won. Tsukiakari, after the sacrifices, was powerful enough to protect us as we wore it down. And once it fell...he attempted to attack me and take my body for his own.”

“The spirits of my ancestors fought him off, bound his soul with chains stronger than steel to the spot. And then I linked my soul with the corpse of my dead god. And that...is how I have gained the power I have today. I went and took back Mizukage, and you showed up around then. The Isaki Clan had grown weary of what it considered outsiders bossing them around, so they asked me if we could move. I agreed, handed the position back again, and my clan and the Shoukyou began a mass exodus.”

“When we came here, I had several reasons. One was to make sure Cloud did not see a sudden influx of shinobi in its neighbor, Moon, and attack. The main reason was to take over Shin's idea for a Kage Summit. I felt I could turn it to my advantage if I hosted it. Get the leaders of all of the nations in one room....”

“I was insulted, so I kidnapped Zaku. I am no longer proud of that. The insult wasn't even much of one. But to that thing...it was a mortal wound. I bound him to my will, and he was conscious inside of his mind of everything until I wiped all of his memories. Also....and not even Cloud knows of this...but while I was here I killed one Daiki Hoshi. The bodyguard to my brother, an envoy of Mist. Hoshi spent years of my life tormenting me in every way she could, and I finally snapped on her when I saw her here with him.”

Once more the Seer stops and turns, facing Haruka fully now. His face was not the mask, it betrayed the concern over her response to his words. ”You know the rest. What we're going to do is go to my old home, go into the caverns under it...and unlink my spirit from the corpse of a dead god. I might not even survive the process, but it is something I must do.”

“Power is a corrupting force. Just being around you, hearing your words...I have come to realize how much of my personality these past years is directly from the power. I don't know if the spiritual link is bringing the Deep One's behavior over to me, or if it's merely the power itself. I do know that there is a voice in my head, screaming to be let out. It is the voice of the demon I have been. I do not want to let it free again. I don't want to be that thing, Haruka. I want to be what you showed me I could be. I want to be the man you have come to love, not the snake you would grow to loathe.”

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Her questions dug deeper than the surface. She didn't expect to get anything more than a guarded reply, but she underestimated the potency of love. His facial expressions unclouded with pain and panic. Hoshikata, never more than a murky pool of intentions, now wavered to the shining truth of his moon. She held the mirror against him, wiping away the mar of pained years of the past. She wondered if she'd ever get used to it; the fragility of their lives. Everything hung in delicate balance, carefully placed by Hoshikata over the years. Haruka was just another caught in his tale he spun. Another face that would travel down the road with him. How long before she became one of the faceless pieces of his past?

She remained quiet for the rest of dinner. She picked at her food, her appetite leaving her as nerves sent in sickening waves. So when Hoshikata offered his hand to her, Haruka left a half eaten plate at the table. The Shima plucked the rose from the table, twiddling with the thorns in her free hand as they broke into the night air. Haruka only half smiles at his confession for disliking fine dining. "I'm neither a fan of it myself. I would of been content with any other place." She admitted quietly, her gaze distracted by the night sky. She led the way, not heading in any particular direction. The street remained quiet, untainted by the superfluous crowds. Then, she prepared to listen to his tale.

He spoke of the Deep One, the god of his clan. Haruka was a mortal who believed in the power of gods, old and new. So, she did not doubt the existence of the Isaki god. Haruka was keen to follow the line of a story, and knew almost instantly that the Deep One was the god which Hoshikata had whispered about back in the Raikage's office. The sole source of his power, and they were now tasked with destroying it. A feat that none of his predecessors accomplished. The Staff of Verin was one and the same, the staff he had handed her on the day of his arrest. The one that sat tightly secured in the confines of a discrete location of her choice. Even while holding it, Haruka sensed the screaming of lives course through it. She had ignored it back in the office, but now it made sense to her. It was no wonder that Natsu's files left for her had warned that his power lied in his staff.

The Seer's life slowly came together. The Haku remembered the memory of the little boy who's father taught him only fear and power instead of kindness and love. Of course, a small boy would take comfort in the worship of a god that promised to make him great. The meek and lowly often seek comfort in higher power so that their enemies might be dealt justice when they cry out. He truly had been a caged bird. And when he was again rejected by the world, he only sunk deeper into the pit of hell. It was there in hell, in the flames of his suffering and abomination, that he found true power. Scorned and burned by his god, he rose from the ashes anew. Different man, different face.

And with his change, brought death. A growing look of concern crossed her snow white face as he spoke of his father's death. The staff, the soul of Tsukiakari, and the Deep One had all brought destruction to his life. Yet he clinged to those for his power today. But, that was only round one of his fight against the deity of his clan. He struggled on his words now.

”Haruka...I am not the same man I was when this happened. But if you choose to end what we have after hearing this, I will not blame you.”

The words bring fear into her. The Haku with her cold icy stare softens against the quivering warmth of her sun. She thinks he is invincible to her hatred. What's done is done, but those words seem to lose their meaning as he begins to explain. Her hand covers her mouth in horror, eyes growing wide with shock. She barely manages to understand his next words as she grows stuck on his admittance of matricide. An innocent woman killed for his own selfish gain. And his deeds do not become easier for her to swallow as he goes on. Her arrival fits in with his timeline finally. The cave where their meeting seemed so uneventful...

The rest she almost all knew, but reiterated with his tale it became much more sinister. He admitted his hand in the death of yet another, Daiki Hoshi. The bodyguard of his brother, who was still a mystery to her. She had not seen him arrive with his band the first time he came to Cloud. Understanding the kind of person he used to be, she could only guess they were not on good terms. But still, she could not process a reaction. The murder of his own mother and another woman? He had gotten away with all of this without the slightest suspicion?

Haruka searched his eyes, desperate to find something. A glimmer of his eventual betrayal, an undaunting look of sought out redemption, or maybe the nothingness that others saw when they looked into her eyes. She found nothing. She only saw a man. A man who loved her. A man who wanted to fly. A man confused by the hatred he had only known growing up. Her hands shook, but why? She inhaled sharply, holding her breath for what seemed like forever.

"What's done...is done." She affirmed after an exhalation of frosted breath floated upwards into the night. She turned her back to him, distrustful of her own words. Part of her did not believe the mantra. A murderer is who killed Masao. How could she forgive this one then? One who killed their own blood and a fellow shinobi. How could she trust a man like this around her friends and comrades? Special treatment seemed unfair, especially now that she was a leader of the village and maybe in the future would handle more responsibility. If anyone were to ever find out about his murders, they would certainly tie Haruka up with him. She hated herself for being so selfish and thinking only of her career, but there were certain changes she hoped to accomplish as a leader one day. Most certainly after the chaos she had witnessed in the meeting room, Haruka had plans for Kumogakure.

Still, she controlled one of the most powerful shinobi in Lightning country and to give up her hold on him was stupidity. He would come in handy for her campaign. She was the sole holder of his leash, and those in power now recognized the kind of control she had over a potentially dangerous situation. Power is a corrupting force indeed. But, Haruka had yet to realize just how quickly she could lose herself in that power. She turned back to him, frowning. She swallows down her indecision hard and nods as if she has come to understand her own words to him. Her pale hands reach out for his, the rose caught between her left and his right hand.

"We will fix this together. The road ahead is not lost. I will be with you for every step. We will come home together and no one will ever separate us again. All we need to do is fix this mess. Do as the Raikage has asked of you, and then we will focus on the next part of our life together." She smiled softly. Her pretty words were an obscure lie that no one would ever question. She subdued the Seer's fears and secured their bond even deeper. Her right hand reached up to caress his cheek. She leaned forward, pressing her lips against his briefly. Pulling back, she smiled.

[MFT.]

Kairyuu

Staff member
Yen
ASP
Deaths
OOC Rank
S
The tale was long, and the looks that crossed her face spoke to him. Hoshikata knew that she was horrified, that the depth of his evil was only now being understood by the woman before him. He expected her to scream. He expected her to cry and flee from him in terror. Hoshikata expected his entire world to crumble under his feet. But he had to be honest, he could not hide this from her and expect her to simply accept him.

He expected the worst, and for a moment it seemed that he was correct, for as she spoke her back was presented to him. He couldn't see her face, but he could imagine the warring emotions that settled on her features. He wanted to put a hand on her shoulder to comfort her, but knew that it would not be a comfort in this moment. Instead he stood, silent and patient, for her to either spurn him or face him. It was the longest seconds of his life.

The coldness of her hands on his, chilled ice across the burning fires of his skin, was a bit of a surprise. He looks down at their joining, where the rose became a bridge between their two souls. She spoke the words he didn't deserve, and as she kissed him, he returns the kiss with a fervor.

He returns her smile, unaware of the thoughts going through her own mind. His was a maelstrom of colliding emotions, from joy and ecstasy at her response, to worry and concern at the swiftness of it. As she pulls back, Hoshikata reaches out with his other hand, taking both of her's in his. ”Well, you now know all of my secrets, Haruka. You know what no other does.” And it was true, none alive knew all that she did.

”So, now that that's out of the way, please tell me there's something interesting to do this late in Kumogakure. Even if it's just sitting and watching the stars.” He wasn't ready to go to sleep yet, if he could he would stop the world spinning to make this night with her last forever, because tomorrow he might be gone.

Yen
ASP
Deaths
"There's lots to do, just nothing I've ever done or wanted to do. How about just a stroll? The vista by the river at this time of night is nice and quiet." She pulled him along for the walk. A silence filtered between them as their footsteps echoed down the streets. Being handed every secret in the world about the most elusive man in the country was a heavy burden. Haruka failed to grasp it. Why her? He could explain it to her a million times, she'd never understand how pure timing landed her in such a position. What was his trust even founded on? She was a shinobi of Kumogakure, the village he hated, when they first met. She was a close associate of Takaki Masao, a man who had treated the Seer with less than kind hospitality on his arrival. She threatened his life several times, warning him that if he ever betrayed her village she would end his life. Twice she ratted him out for his words confessed to her. She was the one to deliver him up to the authority of the village when the time came. And still, she would end his life if he ever posed a challenge to the peace of Cloud. She was using him as no more than a stepping stone. So, why?

She laughed quietly to herself, breaking the silence. She shook her head. "Its funny, I was just thinking...I know everything about you. Yet," she brushed a strand of her black hair back nervously, "you know absolutely nothing about me." Haruka wasn't quite sure where she was going with this, but the words fell out. Maybe she felt a need for him to trust her a little more? It wasn't like she actually wanted to talk about herself anyway. What was there to tell? Absolutely nothing in her life had been very important. She hadn't even begun to live until recently.

They came towards a bridge sprawled over the river that cut through the center of the Susukino District. The bridge heading east and west separated the business district from the residential area. On the east side of the bank the park began. Mountains toppling over the city skyline rose in the north and down south stretched the quiet river for as far as they both could see. The stars were drowned by light pollution on the west side, but the east side was lacking in neon signs and bustling businesses. As they came off the bridge, they were met with a tree lined path that threaded deeper into the center of the park.

"The taller building that overlooks the river over there." She pointed over the treeline. "That's where I'm staying. The view at sunset is beautiful." She distracted with small talk, praying he wouldn't try to push his luck in prying open her story. He'd be sorely disappointed in what he'd find anyway.

Kairyuu

Staff member
Yen
ASP
Deaths
OOC Rank
S
A moonlight walk didn't sound too bad, but a bit too stuffy. He simply smiles as she pulls his arm, dragging him along with his consent. He took note of her silence, knowing it had to do with his words. No one simply accepted everything he'd told her. No one could overlook his sins that fast. Hoshikata did nothing to break it, this was a shell she would have to get herself out of if there was to be hope for them. Oddly, his mind drifted back to his home, Mist. The days before everything became so grand.

His life was always a bit grand, but he used to just be a minor schemer in a large pond. Something changed all that, something big. And now he was about to give it all up. Not for her, but for his own soul. He could feel the corruption gnawing at him now, thanks to her. He could hear the power telling him what to do, not for any good reason but only for power itself.

Her words break his reverie, and he smiles enigmatically at them. ”Oh?” He knew quite a bit about her, one did not become as good a politician and leader as he was without learning to look at their surroundings with an eye to detail. His brain constantly processed everything he saw and heard, or felt and smelled in some cases. He picked up much from the things that happened around him, more than she knew.

As they stop, he looks to the place, nodding his head. ”Trouble at home, still?” He never did pay her dad that visit, but now it was too late. The man would pay, one day, for what he tried to do to this lovely creature. ”And for the record, I know more about you than you think. For instance, I'm quite aware you were passed up for the position of Sennin.” His arm slides around her shoulders and he looks down at her, smiling. ”Go ahead. Ask.”

Yen
ASP
Deaths
"I stand corrected it would seem." Her lips dripping with snide amusement, Haruka glanced up at Hoshikata as his arm gripped her shoulder. "Home is...Complicated, for now. It's something I haven't had time to deal with just yet." Between Natsu's illness, Hoshikata's arrival, and Masaru's training she didn't have the time to deal with her stubborn Shima family. It wasn't necessary though. She didn't want anything from them for the time being. Her father kept himself in line and he hadn't been stepping on her toes. She was too high up the totem pole for him to really hurt her much now.

She knew Hoshikata observed and stored information. Far more than he let on, but she had mistaken him to be completely open to her. Although she smirked at his fine deduction, Haruka felt a sting of contempt in her heart. "It was not my position to take..." She fronted with poised elegance, her eyes averting his gaze. At the time, she really did not believe herself right for the position. However, the more she confronted the powers of the village, the less she trusted Masao's dying decision to make her Spymaster and the Shin's decision to make a child a leader.

Hikari's ascension was a mockery. She was a child, a few years Haruka's junior who understood nothing about life. The red haired Sennin had nothing to truly bolster her legitimacy on, besides the success of one treaty which was aided by the help of her uncle. She had not seen horrors of war, and dealt with only the grief of her uncle and aunt. Her career was a long standing farce marked with nepotism. A chuunin jumping over ranks to take the lead all because she had struck luck. Her uncle died, and his protege with him, thus she was handed the power. Haruka had spent many nights thinking over this, and she spent many nights lying to herself that she was fine with it.

[MFT]

Kairyuu

Staff member
Yen
ASP
Deaths
OOC Rank
S
”Nonsense.”

It was a single word, but it stood in for the millions of words he could have used to explain that she was more than suited for the job. She was the one who went to Mist when Cloud needed it. She was the one who helped end a great threat to their village. He'd never even heard of this red headed she demon before he was arrested, where as Haruka was out there, making herself known.

”I know what's going on. She shares the same name as the former sennin in her position. I've never heard of her, whereas I've heard not only of you, but also your new ANBU Sennin, and quite a few other people in the leadership of this village. I know favoritism when I see it, Haruka. I grew up around it. Nepotistic leadership is a sure path to failure.”

Hoshikata turns around, leaning back against the bridge and sighing. Haruka deserved the chance to lead, not to have it passed along like daddy's toy his little punkin so she could run it into the ground because she was his favorite princess in the whole wide world. He'd seen that kind of thing destroy more than one enterprise. ”Leadership is not in the blood. It's not something passed from elder to ancestor. It's something you work hard to attain, be it through practice or social charisma. But you do not come from a family bred to lead people.”

”I'm sorry if this is a bad subject. Perhaps I should change it.”

Yen
ASP
Deaths
She waved him off. "No, its quite alright. You are mine and I am yours. It is best to talk about these things, correct? We both need to know what the other thinks." Haruka stood across from him as he relaxed against the stone bridge. She folded her hands together, standing with natural grace. A serious and concerning face hung on her as she thought about his words carefully. None of it was a lie. He really was brilliant in his foresight and observation.

She was afraid he might be playing her against them. She was cautious to the words of the Raikage, and would not play ignorance in thinking that the Liar would not try to pull something as sly. Still, as she calculated the situation, Haruka carefully picked apart his intentions. In the end, the Shima decided to trust in Hoshikata because she knew very well that he was the one to get toyed with by her in the end. This was something she had already felt since the beginning of Hikari's reign. It was best to let her partner know what he was working with. If she let him in her mind just a little more, he would prove to be a valuable asset in her campaign for change later.

"I accepted the decision when it was first brought about. It was my mistake to complacently take Spymaster and not believe I deserved more. As I watch her more and more, I see how unfit she really is for this position. She isn't firm in her own beliefs, she swayed so easily to Hayata-Sama's whims. Brash and rude, as you have experienced. I hardly see how someone like that was successful as Ambassador. She does little to incite fire in the Main Branch's ranks, and I watch day by day as we lose more shinobi because of indifference." She sighed, pacing back and forth before him slowly.

"I cannot understand why Masao left her with Spymaster, and I do not understand why she is the one to take the mantle of Sennin by order of the Raikage. No, that's not true...I do understand. I spent my career in main branch as a silent bystander. I worked to elevate Do Natsu and I did not brag of my accomplishments. I did not feel it right! How can I brag about the things I have done? The deeds I carried out in Roenesia for Cloud, and how I wrapped you tight around my fingers to deliver you to my leaders to incapacitate the greatest threat we were facing since Enishi, how can I take pride in those? Everything I've done was with complete loyalty and love for my comrades. I got nothing more than reprimands. My loyalty questioned, my faith in the kindness of humanity crushed, and my trust in our leaders destroyed. Still, I march on but I can't keep marching to their reign." Her dark gaze was fiery as she halted to face Hoshikata once again.

"Will they think me a traitor to demand more from this village?" Her hands shook as she dragged in a deep breath. "I will not remain quiet, Hoshikata. I want to change this village. I want justice. The common people of Kuminari no Kuni hate us. Those in the countryside fear us. I saw first hand just how much they mistrusted us when I went to aid their people during a plague. They would not let us near them because we were monsters to them. The upper class and merchants all play us like fools. We do their bidding, take from the poor, murder the opposition, and then they place all blame on us. The entirety of Raiden's Eye wants to string up our Raikage. We ended the threat of the Kingslayers, and the government passed all the destruction and bloody aftermath on us. Now they all hate us. Back in Roenesia, the Bakufuu and Shogunate seized the island for profit and to build vacation homes for their clients! They ordered our ANBU to murder, torture, enslave, and extort an entire nationality of natives in order to take what they wanted. The people of the island feared the shinobi of the village. Once again, we were painted as the villains. I tried my best. I freed them, but I can never erase what I did before I realized the truth."

"I want to change this village, but I do not know how...I don't know if I can."

Kairyuu

Staff member
Yen
ASP
Deaths
OOC Rank
S
He was smiling as she mentioned belonging to each other. The Seer would never have wanted love, he thought romance a simple chemical reaction. But he was gone, Hoshikata was free of that voice when around Haruka. As she began to tell her tale, he would grip the stone tighter, letting her words sink in. She had much to say, it seemed. And it appeared true to him.

This Hikari woman did not strike him as a good leader. She was quick to leap to assumptions, quick to anger those who were best handled in other methods. If a powder keg was in your village, you did not threaten or attack it as you did lesser threats. You coerced it, you swallowed your pride and let it think it had won even as it played into your very hand. Instead she'd done her best to anger him, and only stupid luck of her mentioning Haruka had kept the situation from turning bloody. Indeed, she seemed to rely more on passion than intelligence. Passion had its place, but the leader of a village had to be able to cover it with their wits when needed. She did not.

Haruka went on to mention why she was not selected. For being a good person, doing her job correctly. The leadership was supposed to notice people like her, not ignore them. How could they

” and how I wrapped you tight around my fingers to deliver you to my leaders to incapacitate the greatest threat we were facing since Enishi, how can I take pride in those? “

He tuned out what came next, those words ringing in his head. Wrapped him around her fingers? Delivered him to the leaders? Is that what this was? Had she gotten into his head, had she been playing him like a fool? No, surely not. Not his Luna, the one who opened his cage to set his soul free. The thought is brushed away, the man no longer wanting to consider it as being truth.

”Of course they think that. To them, that's what we shinobi are, something more than human, and yet so aloof that we cannot be considered guardians or benefactors. When is the last time Shin walked among the common people and treated them like he does his shinobi? I'm guessing never. Meanwhile, when was the last time a rogue shinobi killed someone for no reason? Quite recently, I would assume. To them, we are these people who have an awesome power, and nothing to stop us from using it on them except our own morals.”

Hoshikata steps from the bridge and looks up at the moon for a moment, considering her words. She wanted to change the land, she wanted the people to be free, to be equal. She wanted the same thing as....yes. Those golden eyes meet her own as he faces her again, one eyebrow arched slightly over the other.

”You think those in charge are corrupt on their own power? That they do not consider the common man to be people, but instead pawns or cattle? And you wish to change this, to give the people their rights back? Haruka, do not take offense but those were the same goals of Enishi the Kingslayer.”

He raises a hand to forestall the indignant response he knew would come. ”Not recently. Before he fell to madness. The man walked on the razor's edge, you know. I read his journals, I read all I could about him. Before he fell to darkness and decided the ends justified the means, he sought only to end what he thought was a corrupt aristocracy. It was a noble goal that got corrupted his eventual pursuit for power. A goal, I think, that should be resumed with less violent means.”

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Haruka knew that Hoshikata would agree with her complaints against Cloud. However, it didn't make her feel less of a traitor to know that Hoshikata the Liar supported her scandalous stand. A Shima was safer in the shadow. All her life she had been taught to remain as an unnoticed pillar to her family, her future husband, and if she was so lucky to be a shinobi, to her village. Her humility wilted as the days drifted on bringing unfair treatment and horrors unseen. The world had changed her. She became colder as Haku blood pooled through her veins. The actions of the past could not be erased and she certainly never wanted to forget the horrible things she had witnessed and done. She only used them to help her more. Adapting and growing, ever since Masao spoke his last wish. Show me you are a capable human being.

She would be capable. She would not die with nothing to show for her blood and tears. This land would change by her hand, even if she had to die for those rights. She hoped it would not come to that. Although she was cold blooded and quick to a show of force, Haruka wanted to start a revolution with words and resolve. So, as she stared at the burnished skinned man across from her, she wondered just how they could set out to accomplish this transformation on Kuminari no Kuni. Many had tried before her, and their names forgotten. One man's name was not forgotten, and as Hoshikata let his name fall from his mouth Haruka held back the urge to send a stinging slap across his face.

"You insult me. That man took Masao away from us! How dare you-"

Her rage bubbled deeply in her, held onto tightly by the single reminder that she loved this man and trusted his wisdom. He knew her well, holding up his hand to silence her until his thought was finished. Haruka stood on the same beliefs as a man who turned into the Kingslayer. Did she walk on the same razor edge? How could she consider herself like the man who murdered hundreds. Hoshikata thought it possible to bring about change the right way, as long as Haruka remembered just what path she walked on and who she followed. She clenched her fists tightly.

"They will make a traitor of me. I will become the next Kingslayer if I do not remain restrained. Even if I go about this in a noble manner, they will destroy who I am to justify their rule. Do you not think so? Still, I know its what is right and I'm willing to take my risks, but I cannot do this alone."

Kairyuu

Staff member
Yen
ASP
Deaths
OOC Rank
S
He could feel the slap coming, but it did not. She was mad, as he knew she would be, but he had no idea why was this mad. And then she said why, Enishi killed Masao. That clicked something into place then, where the former Main Branch Sennin had vanished off to. Perhaps this Enishi fellow wasn't all bad, he saw the bright side of removing that stain from this world. Of course, after hearing how much Haruka adored the man he wasn't about to go voicing that opinion.

”You don't have to do anything alone.” Hoshikata reaches out and takes her chin in hand, lifting her face to his own. ”What would you prefer, Haruka? To survive by being something horrible, or to be branded something you are not, and yet make a change for the better in this world? They can call you a traitor, but you will be betraying yourself if you do not act on your feelings. They cannot make you anything, only call you meaningless names. They do not have the power to change who you are.”

His hand falls away, grasping her own as his words gain a passion that he could only have around her. ”I will be with you, always, whatever you do. Nothing you do, will be done alone. If you choose to swallow these feelings, I will be with you. If you choose to act on them, I will be with you. You may worry of what the village will do, but maybe you should worry more about what it has done, and will continue doing if you do nothing, my love.”

Enishi had the right of it, before he fell to evil. This country needed change. It needed a revolution. It needed someone in charge to care about all of the people, and not just the higher placed ones. And Hoshikata knew just who that person was. His Luna.

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Haruka nodded her head slowly at his words as she came to an understanding with the snow haired man. She was not alone in this world. There were people she still had left to care about and she couldn't let fear deter her from protecting them. Hoshikata was her strength, the first person she ever felt like she could lean on no matter what. She felt as his equal, and that alone was a refreshing feeling. Now, she just had to decide what she'd do. His warming hands fought away the chilling thoughts of failure.

"I know not what will happen to us, but I want to change this land for the ones I love. I'm not afraid with you by my side." Her pale pink lips lifted into a blossoming smile. The Shima woman gently pressed towards him, falling into his arms. "We'll make it back from Kirigakure and we'll get through this ridiculous sentence you must carry out. Cloud will change for the better in time." She reaffirmed, resting her head on his chest. The sun and moon intertwined as the world slowly turned to sleep. She had nothing to fear. Hoshikata would not leave her like Natsu and Masao. They held together in silence for a few minutes, listening to his heartbeat as he held her in his arms.

Haruka had run out of things to say. She neither had any idea what else to do as Kumogakure turned to night. Still, she knew that she didn't want this to end. After today all would change for them. They no longer enjoyed the quiet strolls together and the luxury of private conversations. Their intimacy would be nigh under the watchful eye of whoever will be sent to guard him.

Kairyuu

Staff member
Yen
ASP
Deaths
OOC Rank
S
He smiles, not the first or last of the night, but one he would give only her, at hearing her words. Hoshikata steps in to Haruka, pulling her into his embrace and holding her close to him. Regardless of what the next day would bring, the pain that would come from his sentencing, he would have this night. And while he would wish to fight the break of dawn. Tomorrow would come to take this away, and how he wished it weren't so. And Haruka knew he had to go, but how he wished it wasn't so.

”Yes, but for now, we should enjoy what's left of the night. Tomorrow will come all too soon, I'm afraid.” The yellow skinned Seer leads her away from the bridge, his thoughts wandering to her words for the night. He did not scheme around her, could not, but he did not stop paying attention. He saw more than most people in the smallest details where it was said the devil was indeed hidden.

Shin's leadership was just as bad as he'd thought, and there was more than a little corruption staining the walls of the Torre in regards to the running of the village. Enishi had the right idea, he just went about it wrong. One man did not wage an army against this village, for even if he succeeded in toppling the leader, the problems were so ingrained that the next person to assume the title would simply resume them.

This place needed a full on revolution, a change of the entire system of leadership. And that, he was uniquely suited to give it. Few could match him in the field of politics or intrigue, and none in the field of manipulation. Haruka would have her day in the light, her moment of glory. It was the least he could do for her.

” and how I wrapped you tight around my fingers to deliver you to my leaders to incapacitate the greatest threat we were facing since Enishi, how can I take pride in those? “

...shut up.

The inner voice just laughed as he led her from the bridge back into the city. Hopefully the night would not die young, but if it did he would see her home, at the least.

(Topic left)

Current Ninpocho Chronicles Time:

Back