Ninpocho Chronicles

Ninpocho Chronicles is a fantasy-ish setting storyline, set in an alternate universe World of Ninjas, where the Naruto and Boruto series take place. This means that none of the canon characters exists, or existed here.

Each ninja starts from the bottom and start their training as an Academy Student. From there they develop abilities akin to that of demigods as they grow in age and experience.

Along the way they gain new friends (or enemies), take on jobs and complete contracts and missions for their respective villages where their training and skill will be tested to their limits.

The sky is the limit as the blank page you see before you can be filled with countless of adventures with your character in the game.

This is Ninpocho Chronicles.

Current Ninpocho Chronicles Time:

Nightlife

Yen
ASP
Deaths
OOC Rank
A Rank
A gentle breeze swept through the bazaar, chilling the already cool air as the sun began to dip below the clouds. Most of the vendors had already packed up their surplus goods and profits and closed their stalls for the night, but a few hung around, eager to barter with the nightlife of Kumogakure for some yen.

And so the hustle and bustle of the market continued late into the night, long after the sun dipped below the horizon. Lanterns were lit to light the way for the small crowd, drawing them to the shops like moths to a flame.

As they went about their business, Shin stood vigilant and watched from the relative seclusion of a shadowed alley. The boy was garbed from the neck down in his white traditional shinobi attire, but he left the matching mask he usually wore at home, allowing the wind to ruffle his short, white, spiky hair. His crimson eyes caught the moonlight and glistened like garnets, much like the blood-rusted kunai he held in one hand.

Raising his other hand to his cheek, he whispered the dark incantation, "Honglath dosstan," to soothe his soul as well as Zansatsu's.

Yen
ASP
Deaths
The night was black, the moon and starts blocked by thick cloud cover. The long Kumogakure winters usually lingered well past the spring equinox, and tonight was no exception. Harsh winds blasted near-arctic air down the side-streets and back alleys of the village, the scent on the air threatening snow. Regardless of the weather, the citizens of Kumo wandered late into the night, completing the shopping they couldn’t during the day, or perhaps hunting for a late-night deal from a desperate vendor.

There was more than one type of hunter on the prowl this evening. Narashi Jo had been on the hunt, but not for bargains. The world now had one less illicit drug dealer, and Jo had a new lead on his supplier. When the body was finally found, it would appear that the man had simply overdosed on his own product; not a far-fetched idea, since the product he was selling killed the users more often than not. The assassins of the Merces Letifer specialized in stealthily removing their targets in ways that appeared accidental, and no one did a better job at executing his marks than the Hand of the Merces Letifer.

Jo’s promotion was fairly recent, but in that time he’d been quite busy executing marks that had been pushed to the wayside in light of the Kingslayer incidents and the Marsh-Bear-Lightning war. The time he hadn’t spent eliminating targets and enjoying the company of his girlfriend, he’d spent pouring over the Academy student files; searching for potential new recruits for his division. The competition between the three shinobi branches for new blood was fierce, and made all the more so by the high mortality and drop-out rates at the Academy.

Jo shook the thought of work from his mind; a difficult task for someone with photographic memory. He pulled his leather trench coat tighter about him to ward off the chill as a breeze ruffled his chocolate colored hair and stung his hazel eyes. While it’s length kept him warm and dry, it also concealed the rest of his attire. All that could be seen were his steel-toed boots and the ankles of his jeans. The hustle and bustle of the shoppers and shopkeepers alike were a blur to most people, but to a shinobi, every little detail mattered. So, when Jo espied a child in his peripheral vision dressed all in white and holding a bloodstained kunai, he made it a priority to investigate.

Passing the alley the boy occupied, Jo made his way down the next parallel alleyway and circled around behind his target. His steps silent on wet cobblestones, Jo approached the seemingly albino young man, drawing from memory his name and file. Stopping out of range of the weapon, Jo broke the silence and announced his presence. ”Who is that blade meant for, Shin?”

Yen
ASP
Deaths
OOC Rank
A Rank
Had the senior shinobi surprised him prior to uttering the incantation, Shin would have been so startled that he would betray his own attempts at subterfuge, most likely via yelling profanities at the unknown guest. But since he had already sedated his and Zansatsu's souls with Yoichi's dark mantra, the boy merely raised his hand towards Jo, gesturing for him to be patient while he continued scouting the streets for his mark.

"Let's just say certain life events have forced my hand," he spoke softly so as to not alert anyone other than Jo of his presence. Several seconds passed as he remained vigilant in his reconnaissance before he nodded towards a hooded stranger with a skull motif painted across his face. "Rumor has it this guy used to be a devout follower of the Makaibatsu cult before converting to Jashinism."

Shin watched as his target weaved his way through the small crowd before stopping before a merchant that, as far as the boy was aware, specialized in the dark arts both the Makaibatsu and the Jashinists used in their own rituals. The two conversed for a moment before Shin's target exchanged a handful of yen for what looked like an ancient and thick tome. Clutching on to his purchase as though his life depended on it, the mark backtracked through the bustle of the streets, much more wary of his surroundings than he was before.

"Follow me if ya want to," Shin offered Jo, his voice tranquil as tailed the man with a casual stroll. "But please do not get in my way. I only want his info, not his life."

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Jo listened as the student spoke, his response creating more questions than answers. The chunin turned his gaze to the street while the student kept his vigil. Jo knew who the boy was waiting for without having to be told; the hooded man, painted as he was, stood out in a crowd worse than the albino who stalked him. The background information Shin gave him was as unenlightening as his response to Jo’s question. The skull marking painted on his face labeled their target as a Jashinist; the Makaibatsu cult, however, was unknown to the chunin. One more question that needed answering.

The boy extended an invitation to follow as he left the alley to follow his mark; Jo would have followed him regardless. Jo increased his pace enough to catch up with the student before slowing his speed to match. Jo offered words of wisdom to the boy as they followed their target. ”If all you want is some information, then it’s best you put that blade away. Nothing stands out more or causes more panic than a drawn weapon. If you wish to stay covert, then begin by drawing less attention to yourself.” Jo wouldn’t physically force the boy to comply, but he hoped he would. If even one of the civilian passer-bys saw the blade, they could cause a fuss or shout a warning, betraying their position to their mark.

”If you want to stand out even less, you should consider investing in a disguise, or learning the transformation jutsu.” Albino’s weren’t completely unheard of in Kumogakure. They were in a very mountainous region of the world after all, and small mountain towns rarely offered the genetic diversity to completely prevent accidental (or, in some cases, intentional) incest. Birth defects due to genetic uniformity weren’t uncommon in extremely rural parts of the country. However; a pale-skinned, white haired, red eyed boy wearing all white and carrying a blood rusted knife simply stuck out in a crowd like a sore thumb.

Jo’s voice was at a normal speed, his volume was that of a standard conversation. Whispers always found a way to carry themselves precisely where you didn’t want them to go. His eyes danced around in his head, taking in the sights around the target, but never lingering on the man for more than a brief second. People could feel when someone was staring at them. Besides; if you paid too much attention to the person you were stalking, you could miss important details of the world around you. If this boy wanted to hunt, he had the good luck of having a master huntsman at his side. Jo wouldn’t help with the boys mission; something about the way he spoke told him this was something he had to do for himself. However, if the boy pushed the boundaries of the law too far, or if he found himself in way over his head, Jo would step in.

Yen
ASP
Deaths
OOC Rank
A Rank
"Hmm . . . indeed," Shin acknowledged Jo's age advice as he hooked one end of the rusted kunai onto his belt and performed a short series of handseals, transforming his appearance slightly. His hair was now blonde, his eyes were now blue, and his garb was now black. But perhaps the most noticeable of all was the skull motif now crossing across his own features. "Not the best, but it should do well enough."

As his target ducked into an alley himself, he motioned towards Jo to wait as he followed suit.

"I need to do this by myself," he confirmed his guest's suspicions before disappearing into the darkness. His footsteps alerted his mark to presence, but his hastily assumed disguise kept his intent hidden. "Heya, been looking all over for ya!"

"I assume the High Priest has finished the preparations for the ritual then," the man spoke as he turned around and walked towards him. However, suspicion got the better of him as he hesitated and started to back away slowly. "Wait . . . do I know you?"

But as it dawned on him that the boy was not the Jashinist he pretended to be, Shin already held his kunai to his throat.

"Good question, but I think the better question is how much will you bleed before you stop screaming for help?" he said, his apathetic tone undermining the urgency of his task. Beads of sweat began to drip down the man's forehead as his breathing hastened.

"What do you want then?"

"The Makaibatsu cult: where are they?"

The man chuckled nervously.

"Those wretched heathens? Jashin himself wouldn't wipe his ass with one of them! What business could you possibly have with them!?"

"All I want is my peace of mind, and so long as they exist, I cannot have it."

The man's eyes widened as his mouth hung agape.

"You . . . you're the bastard they sealed Zansatsu in, aren't you?" the man chuckled again. "Well, in that case, feel free to slaughter them all! Last I remember, they performed their rituals deep within the forest: we have already claimed the slums in the name of Jashin."

"Thanks, but just to be sure you won't follow me yourself . . . " Shin reeled his fist back and plummeted it into the man's face, knocking him unconscious.

Dispelling his own jutsu as he returned from the alley, he looked over towards Jo.

"Now then, mind if I ask who you are?"

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Jo nodded satisfactorily at the students transformation jutsu. He was right; it wasn’t the best, but it would fool any non-shinobi on first sight. Jo was slightly impressed that Shin had gotten the idea to transform into a fellow Jashinist in order to fool his target. Jo wondered what sort of plan the boy had as their mark turned down an alley. The chunin leaned against one of the walls at the alleys mouth, reaching into one of the interior pockets of his trench coat and removing a polished rosewood smoking pipe.

Jo knew it wasn’t healthy to smoke, but Jo wasn’t too worried about getting cancer, not with his body being constantly repaired from within. He nodded to the boy as he turned down the alley, fishing out some sweet smelling tobacco and tamping it down into the bowl as the soon-to-be shinobi faded into the gloom. The boy had a personal vendetta to attend to; that was a private business for anyone who felt wronged. A sweet, earthy scent filled the air in a billow of grey smoke as Jo ignited the tobacco with a touch of a chakra-infused fingertip. Letting the pipes curved neck rest the bowl on his chin, and holding it in place with his teeth, Jo tugged a modicum smoke into his mouth, mulled it around for a moment to enjoy the flavor, then exhaled it from the corner of his mouth not taken up by the pipe.

From his position in the mouth of the alley, Jo kept a lookout for the boy while simultaneously eaves-dropping on his interrogation. What? Jo had always intended on keeping an eye on Shin during his confrontation with the Jashinist. No offense, but he wasn’t quite sure if the boy was going to be able to control himself if he had the opportunity to kill the man. Instead, Jo found himself mildly disappointed in Shins performance. The wet, meaty sound of flesh on flesh, followed by the flopping sound of a body, announced that the boy had knocked out his mark before changing back into his normal self and exiting the alley.

”Of course not,” Jo answered the boys inquiry, removing the pipe from his mouth as he spoke. ”But first, a lesson. Come with me.” Jo traveled down the alley to the still form of the dark priest, tucking the pipe stem back in his mouth before slipping on a pair of leather gloves and kneel down to check the mans pulse. ”First off; you did well planning your encounter: studied his routine, knew his path back would take him into a secluded location, and took advantage of his trust in those who worshiped the same deity as him. How long did you stalk him before deciding on this course of action?” Jo paused for a moment to allow Shin to answer before continuing. ”Well, be that as it may, you could have done a better job extracting the information. From what I could tell, his opinion of these Makaibatsu cultists wasn’t very high to begin with. A simple bribe would’ve not only gotten you the information, but also could have given you a potential contact in the future. As it is, you now have a victim of a violent crime performed by an Academy student. Assault with a deadly weapon and battery have very serious consequences when they’re not performed under the regulation of a contracted mission.”

Jo let the idea of the boy getting in trouble for what he’d done sink in for a second; though honestly, if the boy was willing to go this far to find this cult, he probably wouldn’t care about the consequences. Jo stood up with a smooth fluid motion, and walked over to a nearby dumpster, fishing around inside for a moment before finding what he was looking for; a section of lead pipe and a two-by-four piece of wood. ”Now, from what I could glean from the situation, these Makaibatsu cultists have sealed a demon inside of you. Am I wrong?” A few seconds to answer were given willingly, a feral smile breaking across Jo’s face at the affirmative answer. Suddenly, Jo’s eyes changed from hazel to a glowing scarlet; a dark aura emanating from his form as he spoke in a voice that wasn’t his own. ”Fear not, little welps. You are among friends.”<i></i> The statement was directed to both Shin and Zansatsu, the demon within Jo surfacing to offer some solace to the boy, and give the demon something to consider in case it attempted to make a rash decision.

Then, just as quickly, Jo was back to normal. ”The thing is; Kumo frowns upon anyone creating an unregistered Jinchuuriki; national security concerns, and all that.” The up-till-now still form of the Jashinist began stirring, a low moan escaping his lips. ”In fact, it would fall directly under Kumo’s jurisdiction to eliminate such a threat. It would be a state sponsored mission; a mission that would, no doubt, be handled by my department. You see, my department specializes in clandestine assassination and strategic covert assault missions. Our soul purpose is the executing of targets in such a way that it can’t be traced back to Kumogakure shinobi. As head of my department, I’ve decided to go ahead and sanction this mission. If anyone finds out a way to summon and seal demons without shinobi training, it could be used to harm the Village. It would be better if no one knew it was possible to do so.” The body of the Jashinist began to stir, arms and legs twitching and repositioning as they tried to pick him up off the ground. ”This,” Jo said, motioning towards the priest. ”Leaves us in quite a predicament. If we leave this man alive, he would know it was you who interrogated him and killed the cultists; thereby linking Kumo to their deaths. Even if others of his religion know about your secret, they’d never know it was you who killed the Makaibatsu’s. It would be left up to speculation. Ergo, we must dispose of this witness, and in a manner which would prevent us from being suspects in his death.”

The Jashinist finally found his feet, holding his head and moaning from where Shin had hit him. Before he could even register what was going on, the two-by-four slammed into his gut. All the air whooshed out of his lungs as Jo brought the lead pipe down on the side of his knee, snapping it messily. The man didn’t even have enough air in him to scream as Jo slammed the two-by four into his back several times before bludgeoning him over the head with the lead pipe; the pool of blood forming around his head and blankness of his eyes testimony that he was well on his way to joining his dark deity in the afterlife.

Jo tossed the improvised weapons back into the dumpster, then bent over and rifled through the now dead mans pockets, removing everything of value; cash, jewelry, his purchase at the market. Hell, even his boots. Pulling a plastic shopping bag from a different coat pocket, he dumped all the valuables inside, then tied the handles tightly overtop. The whole ordeal was over and done with in only a couple of seconds, and no one on the street was any the wiser. Jo stood, tucking his loot into his coat for disposal at a separate location. ”When the cops find him, they’ll think he was just a victim of brutal mugging. Now we have our intel, and no witnesses.” Jo turned and exited the alley, motioning for the boy to follow. ”Over all, I’d give you a C+ on this one. You could do better; but, then again, you are still a student. You’re getting close to graduation, yes?” Jo recalled the boys file, noting he only needed a class or two to finish his time at the Academy. ”Well, I hope you’ll refrain from attacking that cult until after graduating. Perform reconnaissance, learn their routines, watch them for dangerous activity; but do not attack them. When you’ve met all of the Academy’s prerequisites for graduation, I’ll use this mission as a final exam for you. Then we’ll see how much you’ve learned from this experience, and how much you still have to learn.”

Jo tossed the bag of ill-gotten goods into the refuse bin in front of a café several blocks from the scene of the apparent mugging, the little bundle looking for all the world like a bag of trash. Jo kept walking in silence, allowing Shin to ask any questions he may have, or make any statements he wanted to. Then, Jo reached into his trench coat once more, removed a small white business card, and handed it to the boy. ”When you’re ready to proceed, or if you need any advice or help… about anything… Come to the Torre Celeste and give the receptionist this; ask for Narashi Jo. She’ll direct you to my office. Until then, Shin, I wish you good hunting.” With that, Jo turned and left, his form seeming to vanish into the crowd of shoppers. When the boy took the time to study the card, he would find no name, no title, no division information. On one side he would see the sigil of the Main Branch, on the other, a black hand print.

{Topic Left Unless Stopped}

[OOC: Sorry if you don’t like the minor G-modding of an NPC. He had served his purpose, and now he is with Jashin.]

Current Ninpocho Chronicles Time:

Back