Ninpocho Chronicles

Ninpocho Chronicles is a fantasy-ish setting storyline, set in an alternate universe World of Ninjas, where the Naruto and Boruto series take place. This means that none of the canon characters exists, or existed here.

Each ninja starts from the bottom and start their training as an Academy Student. From there they develop abilities akin to that of demigods as they grow in age and experience.

Along the way they gain new friends (or enemies), take on jobs and complete contracts and missions for their respective villages where their training and skill will be tested to their limits.

The sky is the limit as the blank page you see before you can be filled with countless of adventures with your character in the game.

This is Ninpocho Chronicles.

Current Ninpocho Chronicles Time:

Ponderation [Privatesque]

Morishige

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Regret-RemembranceZaku-1.jpg

I threw the kunai into the knot of the tree for what seemed to be the hundredth time. It stuck with precision and I yanked on the ninja wire I had attached to the ring at the base to pull it back. Whether you call it laziness, or ingenuity, I didn't want to get up every time just to sit back down and repeat the process. My mind was busy on the days events and the information gained to be troubled with that repetitive procedure.

After going through a whole year in the academy only to fail, I found myself questioning just what a ninja was. I had seen countless teachers with countless styles. Each with their subtle opinion of what a ninja was. And now, I was left with that question. I could tell that once I figured that out, passing through the academy would be that much easier. Last year I had no true goal or focus as to my studies; it was no wonder that they didn't pass me. I wasn't up to snuff. But after today, I learned a plethora of new skills and gained more knowledge. I could hit a target with a kunai one hundred out of one hundred times. But why? What was I trying to accomplish? Sure I joined the academy to prove to my mom that I could do something worthy. But once I graduated, what route would I take? A question such as that would be hard to answer.

I handled the Kunai with precision once again, hitting my target squarely. If it weren't for Hikari this morning, I might have never hit a target. I couldn't help but wonder why she had joined, or what she hoped to gain. Cause I was rather lost as to the next step in the process. Once you graduate, you gain alot of freedom of choice with what you want to do. I suppose you could say I was afraid of that freedom. I couldn't stop myself from taking a deep breath and looking up into the canopy of the tree I was sitting against. Life for a plan was so simple: Live. I smirked and yanked the Kunai free with the wire, preparing to throw it again when I stopped to look at it specifically. "Your purpose is to kill. A tool of death. So what does that make me?" I questioned aloud.

[iNPC: Zaku]

Yukari

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Hikari knew she was something of a wanderer. She liked to search out new things. Liked learning about those things. She loved the feeling of mastery. She smirked at the thought. Tiger-Boar-Ox-Dog! and then there was her clone. It was getting late, so now was the perfect time to use her clone technique. She and her clone ran across the training grounds and straight toward a tree, She intended on running up the trunk, and perhaps if she thought she could handle it, hang there upside down. She reached the tree, allowing her clone to disappear, took two steps up the trunk, and then stumbled as she heard, "Your purpose is to kill. A tool of death. So what does that make me?"

She stumbled and skidded back down whirling about in a startled manner. "Who said that?" She hadn't noticed anyone, didn't see anyone, but then she edged around the tree and saw "Zaku-kun? Is that you?" She grinned, "It is!" She bowed with a straight face at a perfect 30 degree angle, obviously mocking their sensei from earlier today. "Who are you talking to, Zaku?" She asked, turning her head so that her hair flopped into her face. She huffed at it, and pulled it back so that she could see her friend. "What are you doing out here all alone?"

Yen
ASP
Deaths
</I></B>
Solemnity.​

Kagatsuchi Shisou wrapped his light duster around his shoulders, like he did every day, such a thing was general needed in the frosty climate of Kumogakure. He wore a simple tunic underneath, with pants that were neither dressy or casual. Around his waist he wore a standard ninja tool belt, stocked full of kunai, shuriken, and ninja wire - Shisou didn't think too much of senbon, to him they were the weapon of cowards... or marksman. Shisou had planned on going out for training this day, for he had not had to participate in this particular class. Shisou was already highly skilled with the basic ninja tools, he had several scars where Shinji had painstakingly reiterated the proper way to throw, stab, and slash with all manner of tools. So Shisou was not surprised when he was skipped over on the attendance for a kunai class. However, one could never perfect a skill without practice, so instead of going to class, Shisou decided to travel to the training grounds of the academy to practice for a few hours. At least by late afternoon Shinji would either be gone with the troupe or in a drunken stupor - Shisou wasn't partial to either one.

Shisou exited his home in a most ninja-like fashion; he jumped straight through the window, for a path through his house would have provoked an unwarranted attack from the heinous Shinji. Shisou was still healing the wounds from the last sake bottle that had been shattered over his spine - That one had a devastating effect, though Shisou didn't feel it anymore. His footsteps silent on the streets, Shisou watched the village-world unfold around him. It was a unique paradigm, here in Kumo. Everything was efficient and beautiful, but the village was the most deadly thing that Shisou could ever picture. Once again the thought of becoming a tool for this place was unsettling. Whether it was the flutter in his stomach from not eating enough, or the sheer impossibility of his life ahead of him, Shisou did not know; the only thing he did understand was the simple fact: life would never be the same again.

So those thoughts in his head, Shisou arrived at the Acadamy, the Aurora Erudito. Almost of their own accord, Shisou's limbs moved of their own accord into some semblence of a dance-like motion. Straight as a metal rod, Shisou emulated what a mechanical person would do if they were to break out in dance. 'Aurora Erudito, Mr. Roboto.' Shisou didn't know the exact origin or nature of the lyric, but it seemed as good a time as ever to put it into words, after all, that line had just been waiting for the opportune moment to be said. Shisou ended his dance soon after and set at the task he sought. With a simple vault over the fence -Shisou seriously hated going through doors and gates... anywhere normal people entered places-, Shisou entered the rear end -no, not that rear end, Shisou completely likes females- of the forest. He removed two kunai from his pouch, one for each hand. The tool felt natural in his hand; it had been modified just for him; the only gift Shinji had allowed him to keep. The grip was slightly larger to accommodate his hand size -mind out of the gutter now- and the blade was at least three inches longer than regulation, though the width of the blade was trimmed slightly. The weight sat almost directly three-fourths off-center, which made for wildly inaccurate shots when thrown straight ahead, but many times in a shinobi's career, he would not be afforded the luxury of throwing his kunai in a forward motion. The kunai were different, just as different as Shisou felt from the rest of his class. He hadn't really made a friend yet.

No use crying over spilled milk.

With a huff, Shisou launched himself at a practice dummy set up near his position. Up, down, left, left, right, maim the face, gut the stomach... Shisou's body twisted and convoluted as he struck the kunai again and again on the wooden dummy. Already the dummy had marks, Shisou used this same one whenever he came -he was only a tad bit of a narcissist. That was how his day went, six to eight calculated strikes then a quick evasion and then retreat. It was a simple game plan, but it was how any good knife fighter performed. You got in quick and then got out quicker, that way your opponent was bleeding and you were not.​

"Your purpose is to kill. A tool of death. So what does that make me?" The voice carried over the quite murmur of the academy's training grounds and reached Shisou's ears. Shisou was almost physically knocked back by a blow. It was as if someone had reached into his mind and pulled out his deepest thoughts. <I>I thought I was the only one who thought about that... Shisou perked up and scanned the area around him for the source of the voice. He could not find it; Shisou set out quickly, yet stealthily, to see if he could find the student, or person, who had spoken.

His search was a quick one, on account of the academy's grounds were not too expansive, and the voice had distinctly been coming from the main grounds, the ones still clearly in sight of the main building. There Shisou found a boy training, much like Shisou had done himself thousands of times. He is the one who said that? He doesn't even seem like the type. Shisou characterized the boy as a 'pretty boy' of sorts, but he scolded himself instantly; he had no true grounds to stand on that claim yet. Then suddenly another girl appeared before Shisou had had the chance to speak out, as if this place had been sectioned off for just the two of them to speak. However, Shisou would not let that fact, or the fact that the boy and girl appeared to have prior contact, to deter him from potentially meeting someone who shared the same feelings as him.

Stepping out into the open, a half-smile -feigned of course, Shisou had serious matters on his mind- cocked on his face. <B>"Yes, a tool for killing is all the village wants you for. That is what it boils down to ultimately, no matter what you do with yourself or where you go within the village. Kumogakure no Sato wants you... wants us to become killing machines for her to use and dispatch at her very whimsy. What does that make us? I would like to fancy myself an optimist, one who will do his best to champion righteousness and justice in the face of cold murder, but everyday it gets harder to uphold that simple illusion in my mind. All I want to do is protect people, and this is the only way I know how. How about you?" Shisou cocked his head at the boy who clearly had been the one to speak the words he had heard. Then to the girl, "How do you feel about this?" This was bold for Shisou -he lacked basic skills of communication when it came to women.​

Morishige

Yen
ASP
Deaths

"Am I the exacter of your will?"

The sounds skidding behind me brought me to attention, the Kunai found it's way into my hand reflexively as it had been doing for the past fifteen minutes. I heard a familiar voice behind me but was disinclined to discover just who had said the words. Fortunately, they were not so lazy and troubled to do so themselves. It turned out to be Hikari, the girl I had only met that morning but had quickly become fast friends with. "Konbanwa Hikari-Chan." I replied with a small smile in her mockery of their earlier etiquette teacher. It was obvious that something was on my mind and she pick up on it. I didn't answer right away and she quickly fixed her hair because it had fallen because of the bow. My eyes turned away from her face and into the woods before answering her questions in order. "I was talking to our friend here." I said softly, twirling the piece of metal in the air. "While I sit here and...practice." I lied. But was it really a lie to say such? Everyone thinks all the time, so sitting here thinking would be the equivalent of doing nothing.

I tossed the piece of metal back at the knot I had been hitting for a while now. Right as it struck, it appeared that another who had heard my words appeared. He was smiling, but I didn't think someone who spoke the words he was spouting was a happy person. However by the end I was a bit jealous of him. It seemed like he knew why he wanted to become a shinobi. 'Course, he looked to have a few years on me, so I could make the excuse that it was because he was older. But I had to remain honest. He was no different than me. I couldn't help but question how he came to decide he wanted to protect people. Did someone close to him get hurt? Nevertheless, he put forward a question to the both of us. I looked to Hikari before looking back at him with a troubled frown. "That's what I am trying to figure out. I joined to prove something to my family. But now that I can see a possible end to my road in the academy, I don't particularly know why I still would be a shinobi. I don't want to just be some tool...maybe this life isn't for me." I said solemnly and looked to Hikari to watch to see how she would respond.

Yukari

Yen
ASP
Deaths
As Hikari fixed her hair, Zaku twirled his Kunai, and claimed he was simply practicing. It looked more like he was brooding... but who was she to judge? It was obviously not all, and he didn't really answer her question, but it was enough, she supposed. So, she sat down and started sharpening her kunai. stroke by stroke, honing an edge carefully. After a while, "Our friend here..." She held aloft her Kunai, "Is a tool. He may be used for Killing. But he can also be used to carve meat, or wood. He can be used to dig up the land. He can be used for pain... or for pleasure." She thought of the pride she had felt earlier when sensei had praised her for her idea about chakra. She looked at Zaku earnestly, "That you wield a Kunai does not make you a killer."

Another boy appeared just then. The one who spoke before her in eitquette. She took his words, his questions and frowned at the tree. At the Kunai which stuck there. "I think... That there are many ways in which to protect people... Sometimes... well, sometimes killing people who need to be killed is one way." She scratched her chin. "Sometimes," She leveled her gaze with his, almost challenging, yet not. "It is the only way." Her frown deepened for a moment before her natural optimism broke through, "And sometimes tools don't do the work they should. The hammer sometimes smacks the thumb which holds the nail in place. In this way, the user of tools learns to respect that which he wields." She grinned lopsidedly, "I got that from a book I read, not too long ago, about a shinobi who killed his village's Kage as the man had become corrupt and was using his nin for bad stuff." She said. "I feel a lot of things, Shisou. I think... Even if we are tools to be used by Kumo, we should know that there are men behind our use. We should remember that those men aren't always the true will of Kumogakure no Sato, and most of all, we should make sure that we 'correct' those who use us wrongly." She grinned. "After all..." She flipped in her hand, the Kunai she had sharpened earlier and threw it at the tree Zaku had been using for target practice, "A tool misused is of no use." Right there... she was quoting her father.

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Recognition.

Ah, Shisou did know the pair. He had seen them in class, but memory did register to long-term until about three topics had posted with the participants all speaking to each other at least more than once -to Shisou, it be anywhere from two weeks to a sixth of a year. It was Zaku and Hikari, and there performance was at least adequate in class, at least from what Shisou remembered. Both of them, though, had experienced at least some for of thoughts that Shisou had been thinking for a long while now. Maybe within them, Shisou could find someone to confide, for above all, he needed someone to talk to about this entire process of becoming a shinobi; the coming days would bring more stress and hardships than Shisou could ever hope to stave off alone.

Zaku spoke first, and he seemed to share some similar sentiments that Shisou expressed to himself every time he had a spare moment to think. However, he wasn't very verbal with his feelings as Shisou had been, and instantly Shisou felt embarrassed for his openness. He found himself looking down at the special kunai still in his hands, their weight was all too familiar, unlike the newness of the presence of these people. He had never opened up before, and doing so, once started, he could not stop talking. Maybe Shisou should just learn to shut up.

Then Hikari spoke up, and her words were calming and challenging in nature, as a whetstone prepares a storm for the coming battle by honing it into something much more effective. Transformative, her words spoke up of tools not only deciding their future and working within the system, but also tools striking back if used improperly. As long as there were other individuals who also thought these things, Shisou was comforted that he could become a shinobi. They would be interlocked together, and if the need arose, they could rise up and strike back at the hands who used them improperly.

Still looking at his kunai, "This life isn't for anyone, really. No one can be born hoping that they are stripped of identity and free will, so as to one day better the village around them. However, I feel that the end goal of the shinobi of Kumogakure no Sato is at least a noble one. The village at least appears to be functioning well, and crime, except for petty crime, seems to be declining. The leaders know what they are doing, at least on a base level. So we may not have to worry about being misused, but as long as we are fighting together for the same cause, the bond we have should prove resilient if any leader tried to misuse us." Shisou looked up then and stared at both of the individuals in front of him. "You are correct Hikari, we must become great tools that will shine in everything, and in the case of misuse, we shall turn on that hand."

Morishige

Yen
ASP
Deaths
The words that came from Hikari's mouth left me a little amazed. The way she eloquently put her thoughts to word was dumbfounding. I sat there with my mouth slightly agape, simply listening. When she spoke of the hammer hitting the man's thumb, I couldn't help but imagine going up to a teacher and smacking them. Afterwords telling them to use me right. So then I had accepted that I am to be a tool. But how can one be an effective tool with free will? To comply to the will of those over you? What if... And it was like fate that Hikari brought up the book about corruption. "So we are to be tools not of men, but of the will of the place we fight for." I mumbled to myself, eyes shifting downward toward the dirt underneath my feet. Her words rang so logical and true in my mind; where did all this information come from? Who taught her all of this?

The newcomer, whose name I finally recalled to be Shisou, spoke up addressing my earlier comment. This life isn't for anyone... Then why do so many choose it? "I suppose we all have our reasons, and I am just trying to find mine." I emoted in his pause and then looked as he affirmed Hikari's final words. In this, I stood up to my full height, pulling the kunai and placing it into it's proper spot within the holster. "Then I will be the tool that protects those I care about with my life. And should anyone in this village threaten them, they will meet their end at the tip of my blade!" I said in my natural obnoxious fashion. I looked to the others for their approval, as I sorely needed some kind.

Yukari

Yen
ASP
Deaths
"This life isn't for anyone, really. No one can be born hoping that they are stripped of identity and free will, so as to one day better the village around them." Shisou said.

"No one, ehy?" Hikari quipped, "That sounds like what my father said when I first told him my desire." She tucked a hair behind her ear, "You're half right. No one is born hoping to be made into someone else. But some of us grow up with that hope. Who would I have been, if not for this? A teacher... businesswoman? Not me." She shook her head and grinned as a breeze picked up, "Some of us need to be here." She didn't speak the words, but her eyes brightened a bit as her hair blew about, pulling free from its binding to frame her face or stand defiantly in stray locks at odd angles... On the air there was a slight charge. She glanced between the two males, wondering if the thought that she had been born for such a life as they each were reluctantly planning... would be out of place.

As Shisou finished saying that she was right, she inclined her head, "We shall indeed, Shisou." She said, looking sidelong at her friend, "Zaku?" She asked as he looked mildly dazed.

He mumbled some repetition of what she'd said, then as as smile came, and he looked more focused. He stood up straight, and pulled a kunai from its holster, before saying, "Then I will be the tool that protects those I care about with my life. And should anyone in this village threaten them, they will meet their end at the tip of my blade!"

Hikari bit her lip, "I... think you should remember that you're just one guy, too, Zaku-kun. People are easy to corrupt. Easy to fool. We have to remember that we are not the ruler... we are... Mirrors. In a way..." She frowned, "We should reflect the standard, we shouldn't pretend that we are the standard. That way we can always look back at the standard and correct ourselves. I think that is why Kumo has its leaders. They're supposed to be the standard... but right now, I don't even think we have one!" She huffed in frustration. "What is a ninja? What should he or she be? Those questions... they're important!" She ran a hand through her bangs and undid some snags, before pulling the loosened hair back into her hair band. "Ideals are important." She said. "As long as they're the right ideals..." SHe grinned then, "But yeah!! They sure will!" She said in response to his mildly obnoxious enthusiasm.

Yen
ASP
Deaths
The scene that played in front of Shisou was a dazzling quick one. Zaku had an almost apparent transformation in front of Shisou, and Shisou could see that the boy became almost excited for the future, though Shisou was not a judge on whether a person was lying or not. The boy seemed sincere, and Shisou smiled inwardly, maybe he had just helped a person through an emotional and personal crisis. 'See Shisou, you can be a Medical Ninja, you are already starting to heal the wounds of the world.'

Then Hikari spoke up, and her initial point brought a rebuttal to Shisou's first comment, to her, some people were born to become shinobi. In the heat of the moment, Shisou had spoken the opposite, but it was more for effect than for actual substantial evidence. Though he could see how she was correct, what would he be doing if he did not become a shinobi. 'I would be at my home being beaten by my father. In a way, I was born to do this.' "You are right Hikari, some of us are born into this life, because there is nothing else out there for us." Shisou's gaze was sullen if even for a moment. Then he turned it to a nearby tree, his hand flicked out and his special kunai buried itself deep within the trunk. There was no reason for it besides the simple joy of throwing a kunai, but it brought a silent joy to Shisou. "For now, all we really can do is focus on becoming the greatest tools we can be. Then we can see about rooting out the rotten weeds in the village. We are the future, or so that phrase has been coined. One day, we will be the rulers of this place, and then we can set the standards, the mirrors."

Morishige

Yen
ASP
Deaths
VulnerableZaku-1.jpg
I was cautioned by Hikari who was quickly continuing to amaze me with her wisdom. But I didn't like her words, they felt limited. But you know what they say, the truth hurts. We really were just the hands of those that lead. And we were to reflect their will for the betterment of the village. That wasn't too bad I guess, I could deal with that as long as I didn't feel I was being made into a Kunai myself. But then she pointed out something quite important. The students had no true leader aside from the teachers. And there were so many teachers who taught in so many different ways. Were we to take from each of their examples and copy that? Because I have been to several classes where teachers had major flaws as well. Tricky tricky... What is a ninja? Yes, that is the question that needs answering. Maybe we would all come upon someone who could answer that question.

Shisou tossed his one Kunai at the tree, his face a tad downcast for a moment. It seemed to vanish after it was thrown, however. "Yeah, we'll become expert hoes!" I said with a very dirty grin, making a joke to coincide with tools and rooting out weeds. I wasn't sure how they would take it. But I didn't regret saying it one bit. "Then we'll take their spot and train the next generation..." I trailed on. With a smile I moved over to the tree to collect the Kunai and bring them back. I passed them to their owners and looked off toward the setting sun. "We'll show them that they can retire without worry. We will take up their...mantle? I think that's how it goes." I shrugged, trying to look inspirational.

Yukari

Yen
ASP
Deaths
In the back of her mind, Hikari kept thinking that the standard shouldn't be changeable, but looking at the guys who had seemed to draw inspiration from her words, Hikari felt it was an unnecessary detail. She nodded and let their excitement fuel her own, "That's right! We will!"

Then Zaku says, "Yeah, we'll become expert hoes!"
awkwardKari.png

Hikari facepalmed. "Er... yes, Zaku. We..." She sighed and punched his arm lightly, "Expert hoes."

He continued speaking about taking up the mantle of those who were in power now, by showing responsibility. She nodded, "We sure will." She said, she could see that he was posing, trying to look like a leader, or something, but he still looked just like a boy, to her. Her friend. She played along for the sake of his overly inflated ego.

After a moment of that, Hikari coughed and said, "On that note, a change of subject... What was up in the Kunai class, Zaku? You kinda blew up."

Yen
ASP
Deaths
The joke Zaku had posed had fallen flat with Hikari, but Shisou, being a thirteen year old impressionable boy, could not help but chuckle to himself very audibly. At least no jokes would be spared on this long journey through shinobihood. Shisou shook his head again, the time would surely go smoother with a few friends padding the rough edges.

“We shall certainly take up their mantle and change this village for the better, in the future of course.” Shisou spoke his words clearly, if not loudly. Then Hikari quickly changed the subject away from a potentially ego-patting topic. Shisou had to respect that, because there was always a time to move onto a fresher topic when the previous one had clearly expired. However, the topic she changed to did not include anything to do with Shisou, so he just stood there. He cocked his head to the side slightly, quizzically. Hoping that the words Zaku spoke would clear everything up.

Morishige

Yen
ASP
Deaths
HuhZaku-1.jpg
When Shisou laughed out loud, I smiled happily knowing that good humor wasn't going to be wasted even though Hikari didn't find any humor in it. Thankfully it didn't sour the moment and both seemed to agree with my little change of heart. See, I was prone to that type of indecisiveness often and could be found question the choices I made even months later. It was somewhat of an insecure choice and I had lived with it for some time now. But with them there with me, I got over this small moment of insecurity with a smile on my face. People sure were friendly, cept for some of the kids in class last year... But that was last year! Time to move on to a brighter future!

But the subject would be changed to the topic of me, because I am so awesome-- not. Hikari seemed to have noticed something in our earlier class and I looked at her with a confused expression. Raising a hand to my chin, I rubbed slowly whilst looking about to get some idea what she might have been talking about. "Oh. That." I mumbled as it finally occurred to me just what she might be referring to. How would I go about explaining that away, anyways? I kicked the dirt below and shrugged my shoulders. "I dun know. Just Shinrya sensei said some stuff that really bothered me is all. To think that someone would go through surgery just for a bit more power. Do they really value themselves that lowly? Ugh." I responded, now in a rather perturbed state. "I had a surgery once and from the doctors said, I figured that surgery is only something they do if they can't fix it another way; invasive procedures are bad for the body in general. At least, that is what I gathered. So to elect one's body for something like that... It's just stupid." I finished. Of course, I left out the part about my apparent detest for bloodline shinobi. So hopefully, she hadn't caught onto that.

Yukari

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Hikari smiled apologetically to Shisou as she realized she'd kind of left him out. "Right. Well... wasn't there something else...? You seemed upset before she mentioned the surgery. And... besides... would it be such a bad thing to have extra powers? I mean, its not fair, but we're ninja. We're not about what is fair. We're about getting things done." She looked to Shisou, "Am I right?"

"I mean... an advantage shouldn't be turned away even if you are an awesome ninja, what do you think Shisou? A Sensei of ours has kekkei genkai. That's what we're talking about. Zaku... well you heard what he said about them." She scratched her chin, "I don't think its such a bad thing to have. Not that I'd purposefully change my eyes out for some of those." She shook her head, "That isn't what I'm saying at all. I just think its not such a bad thing to have advantages."

[[Ooc: Sorry Shisou, I thought I'd replied to this topic days ago. Zaku already knows.]]

Yen
ASP
Deaths
(OoC: It is fine, I have been doing way too much school work lately.)

Shisou listened closely to the pair around him and quickly assessed the situation. It seemed that Zaku had gotten upset over some things that had happened in a previous class, specifically on the subject of surgeries for power and kekkei genkai, and Hikari was just probing Zaku for whatever past experience that had clouded his judgment on the matter. Shisou did not have any real particular opinion about this subject, as he had not needed to think about it yet, but Shisou did know what it was like to have a past that could change the way the future was perceived; Shisou knew what it was like to have secrets. Zaku deserved his privacy in this matter, but if Hikari pushed him, Shisou was pretty confident the boy would crack. Inwardly, Shisou sighed, it would probably hurt the boy emotionally.

“I do not know much about Kekkei Genkai or the surgeries you are talking about, but I do know a bit about strength.” Shisou left that as a cliffhanger, maybe one of the two would try to pry his past out of him; Shisou did not know what he would do in that situation. “Strength is necessary to defeat enemies, and without it, we are not shinobi, just mere men. So if we were in want of strength and there was some way that we could garner enough, then I see that as a viable solution to the problem of strength. I don’t know, I just think that we can’t write off strength easily, even if it is easily obtained. True strength has a price, and all strength comes with advantage.”

Morishige

Yen
ASP
Deaths
ArguingZaku-1.jpg
"Would it be bad?" I asked myself. "Getting things done...

I prepared my response in my mind and only hoped that it would make as much sense to the others as it did to me. I wasn't a very eloquent speaker and often time messed up what I meant from a lacking of vocabulary so I never knew how I would end up in a debate. "I don't disagree that every advantage helps. But like we said before, power corrupts. Giving yourself too much power is a means for destruction. Also, those with their 'powers' shadow us regular people. Superiors pass over us from promotion to pick those who have flashy blood limits and 'more power'. We who have probably trained harder and longer are never noticed..." I said, thinking about my exam from the year before. I may have been a flunky in the classroom, but I always tried to do my best with the practical stuff.

Shisou took input his thoughts on the matter after I had, alluding to some knowledge of strength that was rather cryptic. But the fact that he mentioned it without knowing Kekkei Genkei made me want to specifically know what he meant. Was this someone else like him? No... He seemed to use strength as a currency. The more we had, the more we could get out of being a ninja. Why did he believe this. "Strength isn't always necessary. At least physical strength. Superior tactics can turn the tide of any battle. But all right, just how do you know this? How do you know about 'strength'?" I questioned with a hint of anger in my voice. Why were they so open to the idea of having some bloodline implanted-- well Shisou was. Hikari merely would take what she would get.

Yukari

Yen
ASP
Deaths
"Power corrupts? Giving yourself power? Zaku- kun!" She stepped back, "A bloodline limit isn't usually you're choice!" She looked at Shisou out of the corner of her eye. "Those who have them aren't out to take your place in the ninja world, and there are ways to compensate for the lack of one." She kept thinking about her Santaru heritage. Kept thinking about how likely it was that she was one. She frowned hard at Zaku as he talked about how much harder people without bloodlines train and in her mind, though he couldn't know it, all of his blame shifted from 'those with bloodline limits' to her, who might have one. She started blushing and her throat felt tight. Just as the sky started to darken and the wind picked up.

Hikari looked at the sky where the clouds, absent a moment ago, had begun to gather. The wind tore her hair free of its tail and it flew airily about her. She looked to Shisou as he said he knew about strength, that it defined them as ninja, that they should seek strength, however it came, whether it is easily obtained or not. "True strength has a price, and all strength comes with advantage."

She nodded, as it started snowing. Hikari didn't feel the cold though she shivered. "Strength comes in many forms, Zaku kun." She said feeling strange. Her skin was tingling and she was certain that every hair on her head was being pushed and pulled about by the wind. She looked at her arms, and noticed that she had goosebumps, though not- once again- because she was cold. "Being mad at bloodlines is like hating people who are naturally smart, or people who are very wise. Don't forget that they have to train just as hard at being a ninja in addition to needing to master their own abilities before they can use them properly."

Her hair flicked her face and startled her into growling, "Stop it!" The wind died down though it still blew higher up in the trees, whistling through them like chimes. She looked up and swallowed. That was not normal. People didn't just bark at the wind and have it obey them. She gathered up her hair and tied it up again, eyes still on the trees.

Her eyes back on Shisou as Zaku asked what he knew about strength. He seemed really mad. Again she thought about the fact that she was related to Santaru by blood. She knew that the abilities ran strong in her blood. She swallowed, preparing herself. She wondered if he'd notice what hat had happened with the wind, a moment ago. She wondered how he would react. Would he assume the worst? Would he guess- wrongly- that it was a weird coincidence? She worried he would decide he wanted nothing to do with her. She waited for Shisou to respond to Zaku's question with her mind on the snow that swirled frantically around three feet above her head before drifting lazily to the ground around them.

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Shisou watched as Zaku changed in front of him, bristling like a feline that feels threatened. Then his words came and Shisou felt himself bristle, his eyes turned flat and his facial expression dropped off. In a simple way, Shisou was pissed. He hadn’t meant anything adverse by his statements, yet Zaku had seen it as such and took offense, or at least it appeared that way to Shisou; that pissed Shisou off. Shisou had endured years of torture from his father before gaining the strength to fight back, and if there had been even a moment where Shisou could have received that strength easily, he would have. Yet, it seemed as if power was to by wholly distrusted, and those with strength, natural or not, had it easy. Bloodline or not, strength was never an easy thing. Shisou hated that he had shown his strength to Shinji, because now Shisou had to work every day to not be stabbed in his sleep or bludgeoned in his waking.

‘Who is Zaku to question me on strength? Who is he to tell me my physical strength wasn’t needed? I’d be dead without it, even though I’m dead with it!’ Shisou’s mind was in turmoil as that ever-so-familiar anger boiled up from his core and throughout his body. In a flash, the wind picked up, and Hikari was acting strange, but that was all filed into Shisou’s brain for later, now was the time for anger. Even when Hikari calmed the storm, literally speaking, Shisou only barely registered it, and in that moment, though the snow was strong around him, Shisou wrenched the shirt from his torso, his duster falling to the ground along with it.

“How do I know strength, Zaku?” Shisou’s voice had a discernible edge to it, like a blade wafting through paper in a cacophony of pure rage. “I have needed strength since I was born, for that was when my mother died and my father decided that he should one day kill me.” Shisou spread his arms out, baring his entire upper torso, and even in the fading light of the incoming storm, the pale scars that littered Shisou’s body were completely visible and evident. “Strength is needed to survive when your enemies come calling. Physical strength is augmented by mental strength, but the mental strength does not replace physical strength. If your body is weak there is only so far your mind can take you, certainly not out of the clutches of death.“ Shisou’s palms curled into tight fists as he slowly lowered his arms back to his sides. “If there had been one moment where things could have been easier, I would have jumped at it, but for me they were never going to be easy. That does not mean I would hate the man who did jump for the chance at easy strength. I’m not expert,” Shisou’s voice was hard as a rock at this point. “But I think I know enough on strength so far to speak of it with some authority.”

Morishige

Yen
ASP
Deaths
UniversalWhatZaku-1.jpg

By the point Hikari started talking, I had entered that familiar zone of my brain where I cease caring and just shut up. It was one of the topics you couldn't win or lose at. Opinion battles. I wasn't in the mood to fight for an unattainable win, no matter how much I thought they were wrong. "Of course they are out for my spot. The more you are noticed. The more missions you get, the higher your pay, the higher chance for advancement. It's simple." My arms folded across my chest. "Compensation. I shouldn't have to compensate. That's like saying I am a lesser being if I need to compensate. Your just proving me right. "

I was too busy refuting her comment in my mind to notice the flush in her cheeks. It was beginning to sound like a challenge now. Hikari said that all strength comes with an advantage. As the snow fell onto my face, I looked up at the darkening clouds overhead. "Strange... There wasn't supposed to be snow today. When did these clouds roll in?" I questioned before looking back at Hikari with a scowl. So she was right, they didn't decide whether they had the skills or not. But it didn't change the fact that one day I was probably going to be passed up for promotion. The second year student I was-- no doubt that was already a blemish on my record. "Once they learn their abilities, they are indefinitely more skilled than I will ever be. Why are they so lucky, why do they deserve it?" I asked angrily in my mind. My eyes starred into her green ones as she shouted at the wind, her hair immediately ceasing to flap in the wind. My face held confusion for just a moment and I glanced above her at the snow. It seemed to be confused at where it wanted to go until slowly drifting down near both Shisou and myself. No wonder..."Why don't you just come out with it? Flaunt it like you want to. You control the weather, right? You got some hidden power, or bloodline or whatever it's called, right!? No wonder you're defending it so much..."

My eyes hardened as Shisou began his own spectacle. Removing his shirt in the presence of snow was strange, but what my eyes beheld underneath was another story. His edgy voice took over the conversation. I had seen this a few time before. The monologue of ones depressing history. Generally I immediately dismissed them as most were just attention whores seeking their fix. But the scars held my attention as he began. So he was an expert because his father, from what I assumed, tortured him. It occurred to me what really happened. Maybe I did have something else to say. He lowered his arms and I shifted my weight. Perhaps it was time for a rebuttal.

"Hikari. You may deny it all you want. But were you to have a bloodline, and it's pretty obvious you do, you know you would use it to your advantage in every situation. I mean every situation. Even against those who are your allies. Say for example...in your graduation exam when only a certain number of students can graduate." I said slowly and looked to Shisou. This was what I really wanted to say.

"Shisou, have you ever realized that it was your father who gave you this strength? He was the one who pushed you to become this strong so that you could survive. If anything, you should be thanking him; else you would be weaker, wouldn't you? Food for thought." I said shoving my hands into my pockets, the snow touching my skins giving me the chills. "It's getting late. I'm going home. I'll see you two around." I said gruffly before turning to head inside out of the weather.

[Topic Left] [iNPC: Zaku]

Yukari

Yen
ASP
Deaths
By this point all three of them were tense and irritated. Zaku had folded his arms. He looked angry, and Hikari felt that anger was directed at her, especially when he said, "Why don't you just come out with it? Flaunt it like you want to. You control the weather, right? You got some hidden power, or bloodline or whatever it's called, right!? No wonder you're defending it so much..."

Hikari stepped back, and the wind started blowing faster as he accused her of something he obviously resented. She felt each word as intense hatred, and the storm got worse. "You don't know Anything, Zaku!" She shouted not just in anger but because the storm had started to get bigger. She stomped toward him, as rain started coming down too. "You hate bloodlines so much! You hate me? I didn't do anything to you! Why are you so mean? I thought we were friends! You want me to flaunt it??" She didn't exactly know how to do it. She just felt horrible and things started happening, so she focused on the hurt she felt and it started snowing harder, even as Shisou ripped off his shirt and told them that he knew power because of his past. She silently granted him whatever authority he wanted, and turned back to Zaku. "No wonder I defend it? Want me to flaunt it? I am a Santaru. Have you ever seen me use that against you? No. Did you even know I was related to Santaru? No! I never was mean or-" Hikari hiccoughed, so upset she was, "You- you want to keep attacking me?" By this point her throat was sore from yelling and she was fighting tears, afraid of what might happen if she gave into the impulse to cry. Far away Hikari saw a lightning bolt, and then, as if to make certain the others knew of it as well, there came a loud thunderboom. "Fine! I should have known you would be like this!" She hiccoughed again and lightning crashed closer to them. She was starting to get scared. She knew she wouldn't be able to shield anyone from a lightning bolt. Instinctively... That was just how it worked. A human body could not absorb lightning well.

"Why do you hate me, Zaku?" Her voice cracked. Distantly she was aware of the fact that she was becoming hysterical. That her thoughts were running in circles. She could fathom the idea that just because he disliked bloodlines, Zaku didn't necessarily hate her, but presently, she had arrived indisputably at that conclusion. "Just because I would use it to my advantage doesn't mean I'd use it against you! I would do my best to help everyone!" Hikari said, wide eyed. She did not want to cry. There was too much wind. Too much thunder. The snow was becoming bolder, swirling around them, and she couldn't stop it from buffeting her about. She caught his eye, and asked him in as level a voice- not very even at all- as she could muster, "Does this seem like a gift?"
The area around them had piled so much with snow, it would be hard for him to climb through, even as he turned to leave. "Zaku kun! Wait!" She was afraid he would run into the lightning as it was getting close. She struggled to gain control over her breathing but as she did, the wind stopped howling quite so much. She could hear her heartbeat in her ears. "Zaku, it's probably not safe to go far away. You might get hurt, or lost." She grabbed his arm. "Everything looks the same in a snowstorm." She said pulling him back to the relative safety of the trees.

"Shisou..." She looked around for his shirt but couldn't see it. "Why did you do that..." She murmured, "It's snowing..." Focusing on details so she didn't have to deal with the reality. Zaku hated her and Shisou... his father hurt him. She'd seen the scars, more than she cared to see. She didn't want to know, the thought of such a terrible experience made her terribly sad. And she couldn't afford more sad. Details. Like his shirt. That she could do. If she focused on that, and not on the scratchy ache in the back of her throat, she could maybe make the storm stop blowing so hard.

Hikari didn't know much about her Santaru blood. She didn't know how much about storms at all, except that when one was blowing, young children and old people alike stayed out of them, when they could. If they were wise. How did the saying go? "Stoop, and let it pass; the storm will have its way." She said to herself. She kept telling herself to be calm, but it was like her emotions were running wild through her, like thunder and lightning run through the skies. She kept telling herself to be still, but she had started to shiver pathetically, and that made her feel even worse. She started growling to herself and as Thunder struck nearby, just outside of the trees. The ground shook and her mind finally clicked. She stomped through the snow out to the place the thunder had struck and she looked up at the sky. The rumbling of thunder quieted, and the snow , and rain let up. She was drenched. Her hair hanging heavily and freezing as she shivered. The calm that came, then was almost as scary to her as all the thunder. She looked back to her... to the guys and grimaced as she shook. She walked back to them stiffly. "I have no idea how I did that. Don't ask." She said as much to herself as either of them.

Current Ninpocho Chronicles Time:

Back