Ninpocho Chronicles

Ninpocho Chronicles is a fantasy-ish setting storyline, set in an alternate universe World of Ninjas, where the Naruto and Boruto series take place. This means that none of the canon characters exists, or existed here.

Each ninja starts from the bottom and start their training as an Academy Student. From there they develop abilities akin to that of demigods as they grow in age and experience.

Along the way they gain new friends (or enemies), take on jobs and complete contracts and missions for their respective villages where their training and skill will be tested to their limits.

The sky is the limit as the blank page you see before you can be filled with countless of adventures with your character in the game.

This is Ninpocho Chronicles.

Current Ninpocho Chronicles Time:

Proper Preparation Prevents Poor Performance [Open Class]

Santaru Rin

Yen
ASP
Deaths
OOC said:
This topic is open for AiTs, MiTs, and students. AiTs will receive credit toward promotion pre-requisites.

Rin sat at ease in the ergonomic, rotating sensei's chair at the head of the classroom. Some enterprising bastard at the Sileo Tempestas had recently replaced nearly every chair in the secret headquarters with inflated yoga balls, leading to various injuries, sudden psychological breaks, and other all-round embarrassing predicaments. She suspected Anatori, the quartermaster, but he wasn't so imaginative.

The notice had gone out among the ANBU with the usual flair demonstrated by the ANBU couriers. The previous week must have been surreal for the current crop of trainees. Each had received a note that appeared from every angle to be a love confession, from the heart stickers sealing the pale pink-ish stationary down to the faintly floral perfume scenting it. Sadly, the lie was soon dispelled by the end of the message--a date, a time, a place, and a subject: emergency response training.

The students and MiTs had gotten off lightly in comparison, only being informed of the vital details by the usual routes. Notices had been left in the Torre Celeste for other interested personnel, but the intended audience was the population of trainees and students who needed either first-time training or a brush up on proper protocol.

The classroom was arranged in the seminar manner, with stadium-esque seating allowing each student to see the instructor and be seen in turn. Some new sensei often felt intimidated by the arrangement, but Rin was relaxed. Getting stage fright was practically impossible after engaging in battle in the Torre Celeste at the side of two different Raikage, intercepting S-ranked attempted nukenin at the Gates, and battling a demonic invasion of the village. At this point, getting a little nervous about public speaking was... Foolish. She stared at the empty seats. Right.
OOC said:
Welcome to my class!

The first round will last 4 days from this post. Feel free to post multiple times in the interim. There is no minimum word count requirement beyond the general site requirement.

To receive credit for this class, you must miss no more than 3 rounds. If you miss a 4th round, you will not receive payment or credit for class attendance.

Subsequent rounds will be 48 hours long.

Kaoru

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Re: Proper Preparation Prevents Poor Performance [Open Class

Kaoru walked into the classroom, notebook in hand, wearing training pants and a t-shirt. She was slightly surprised the format of the classroom. It was designed like a seminar, with the desk arranged in an arch around the sensei's desk. I hope we don't have to speak she thought as she walked up to the front of the room where the sensei was sitting. The woman seemed to be deep in thought while relaxing in the revolving chair. Kaoru did a quick bow to the sensei " Hello there, I'm Kaoru. I am looking forward to the lesson" She said with a smile. Kaoru took a seat in the front, flipping to a new page in her notebook. She began to doodle as she awaited the arrival of her future classmates.

Santaru Rin

Yen
ASP
Deaths

Rin had waited a while after Kaoru walked in, but no one else had appeared. I suppose it's no surprise. The other trainees are out on missions, and I'm certain the Aesculapium is busy. It is unusual to not have a single academy student... Well, perhaps someone would show up late. She cleared her throat.

"Kaoru-san, it seems we're alone today. We'll proceed a little differently, then. This is your first class as a trainee, but I'm sure you won't find it too different from your academy classes--maybe more intellectually than physically taxing, though, since we won't be doing exercises today." Rin leaned back in the chair. "I'll open with a little history. Since I was born in Cloud, there have been dozens of shinobi who have attempted--and distastefully often succeeded--to rush the Gates and put behind their duty to the village. We consider each of those to be serious events which increase our security risk. When you think of what ANBU do, you most often think of intercepting people who try to run, and catching those who succeed. There is, however, another side to our job, and that is emergency management. Each branch, and in those branches, each division, has their own duties during times of emergency. Our risk--or rather, the probability of these emergencies or crises occurring--is what I call 'security risk.'

"So when you think of emergencies besides nukenin, what do you think of, Kaoru-san?"
OOC said:
If anyone is reading this and would like to join, feel free to do so this round.

Something I've found very helpful as a forum roleplayer is typing my posts in a word processing program (Word, OpenOffice, etc.)--it helps prevent losing posts and also makes proofreading easier. Now my spellchecker knows an awful lot of romaji...

Kaoru

Yen
ASP
Deaths

The classroom was extremely quiet almost to the point of it becoming awkward. Kaoru looked to the back of the class Where is everyone? she thought as she continued her doodling. Santaru sama seemed to be thinking the same thing. Suddenly she cleared her throat and said that they were starting with just Kaoru. As the sensei leaned her chair, Kaoru turned the page of her notebook to a clean one. Santaru sama started with ninja passing the gates and her distaste toward them. Then to the branches duties during an emergency. Kaoru took some light notes throughout the introduction. She finished off her small speech with a queston"So when you think of emergencies besides nukenin, what do you think of, Kaoru-san?" Kaoru sat in her seat thinking about it for a moment. Does this only apply only to military emergencies?

In the end, Kaoru decided to wing it and say everything that could come to her mind. She slid out of her seat to stand up. Kaoru gave a last second of thought then said "Santaru sama, when I think of emergencies many situations come to mind. First, I think of things such as assassinations. Second, maybe a biological crisis, like the enemy releasing poisonous gas, a deadly virus, or maybe poisoning our food. Lastly, ninja sneaking into the village and disguise themselve as one of us getting top secret information. Are those good examples?" Kaoru had to take a big breath after that answer. She hoped that the examples she had given were satisfactory to Santaru sama. Kaoru took her seat as she awaited her sensei's commetary on her thoughts.

Katsu

Yen
ASP
Deaths

Yup, he's late, folks!

'I overslept. I overslept!!!' Katsu thought as he dashed his way through the academy halls, fortunately he had opted to wear a semi-formal dress shirt and slacks instead of his regular clergy robes; as much as he liked his robes they would have most likely caused him to trip if he had tried to run in them.

It was just one of those days that could only be described as awkward: aside from the aforementioned oversleeping, Katsu had managed to misplace his primary pair of contact lenses and had resorted to his 'backup glasses' (which thankfully were taking the mad dash through the halls without falling off and being trampled underfoot), his toaster decided to randomly malfunction, half the lights in the cathedral's living quarters burnt out, and the main road he usually took to the academy had come under surprise construction. It is quite possible that the universe does, in fact, enjoy being an utter troll to Katsu.

Finally, Katsu arrived at the door to the classroom where the lesson was supposed to take place, he took a half second to catch his breath before walking in.

"Sorry... I'm... late... Sensei..." he said, still slightly winded. He took a quick look around the classroom, the first thing he noticed was, aside from himself, there were only two people present; a young girl and an older woman.

"Um... Did- did I get the right time?" he asked, still standing in the entrance to the classroom, and quite obviously confused.
Summary said:
[Entered Class]
WC: 250
[Marked]

Shiruba

Yen
ASP
Deaths

Shindou was late for his class but it wasn't his fault. He had a mission that turned out to be true in a sense. The old veteran walked towards the class and every step he took felt heavy. He has been traveling without a break from Port Cirus; he walked to Port Cirus, completed a mission, walked back and now is heading straight to a class that he really didn't need. The class was mandatory for him to get promoted since he already had one class done. Shindou smelt like sweat, dirt, and decaying human blood. He probably over did it when he attacked the mercenaries; there even is a glob of blood on his cheek that has hardened.

The AIT entered the room and his eyes was glowing green from his newly obtained Hyuuga eyes. He didn't know many eyes that glow but he knew Santaru eyes do when they use a lightning jutsu which gives away the element of their next attack. A fun fact for whoever reads this. He took off his robe and dry blood was still on the bottom of his boots, still slowly walking he turned to Rin and said. Sorry for being late. I had a bloody mission at Port Cirus. I could show you the video as proof. She probably wouldn't want to see the video because it maybe a bit grotesque. He sat down next to Kaoru and let him body odor emit all over in her direction.

Santaru Rin

Yen
ASP
Deaths

[spoilername="OOC"]Material in this course is drawn from a 1997 manual published by the US Air Force, "POSTATTACK & POSTDISASTER PROCEDURES" for civil engineers, FM 19-15 from the Department of the Army, and from post-disaster procedures publicized on the website of the US Centers for Disease Control.[/spoilername]

Rin nodded slightly in response to Kaoru's answer. Kaoru's first and third examples were narrower than what she was looking for, but post-attack procedures were nearly synonymous with post-disaster procedures. The middle, she thought, hit the point Rin was hoping to make.

"Each of these is a terrible thing to happen to any village or organization, but the second example--a mass event--is on the mark for what we will discuss today," Rin replied. "I will define what I am talking about when I say 'disaster'--perhaps that will help cut matters down to size."

At that point, a younger boy came in, obviously trying to regain composure lost from the act of running down the hall.

"This is the beginner's course on post-disaster procedures," Rin answered him. "So it depends on whether you were looking for the ANBU Sennin's course or not."

As if to add more seasoning to the situation, a heavier set of footsteps came to the door. She gave the man a once-over.

"Kizoku-san, it seems we have a lot to talk about after this," Rin replied. "It smells like things went well. We'll debrief later."

She cleared her throat and waited a few beats until the new students settled in their seats.

"Disasters--they are usually natural or man-made events of great magnitude causing immense amounts of death and destruction. There are more complex types of disaster as well, such as what you might see in lesser nations like Bear Country, where it is impossible to determine whether the cause, or causes, of a diaster were either-or. In those cases, the reasons might point to both man and nature. One says 'man,' but the truth is that the lands our nation is founded on have also had a long history with forces occult, known by laypeople as demons and spirits.

"In many cases, disasters may be avoided, or their consequences mitigated. This is part of what I call risk management. However, we will not always succeed. Today, I will teach you what to do if we fail to prevent a disaster. Leadership and followership, each in their turn, are required else all fall into irreperable chaos.

"Thus, our main concerns across the leadership of the village--civilian and shinobi leaders--and branches are actions during the disaster and actions after the disaster. We will discuss the transdisaster period first, then postdisaster.

"First you must understand the natures of command and control. First responders are heavily relied upon when disasters occur--not just for their expertise, but also for leadership and morale. Med-nin, ANBU, Main Branch responders, and even civilians who occupy positions of authority and possess needed skills are all under intense pressure and scrutiny during these events.

"Command, or command attitude, is a rational perspective dealing in seeing the situation as it is, collecting facts, and acting based on reason. This attitude is a leader's attitude. A commander does not act solely for the sake of acting; however, he does not delay out of indecision based on conflicting information. This balance is crucial.

"Control is efficiency--it is concerned with form; it determines the form that action takes. The classic comparison is that the commander is the rider, the reins are control, the horse is the organization.

"Harmony exists when the commander can use subtle, natural signaling and the horse responds in kind. If the pair are in disharmony, the reins must be used aggressively; a steel bit is necessary, and so on--how long will this relationship be effective? The greater the control the rider must exert, the less effect he exerts over the horse. Or look at it this way: in a harmonious household, the parent can signal children through subtle ways about what is right or wrong, what needs to be done, and so on. In a chaotic household, the parent must threaten, cajole, or punish the child, and each time such a tactic is used, it becomes less effective. Thus ideally, control is used minimally and everyone works in concert towards common goals.

"The greater the control used, the less predictable the behavior of people who compose the organization. From the other side, the more reliable the behavior of the people in the organization, the less control is needed. The greater the understanding of your people's behavior, then, the less need you have to resort to control. The greater the understanding, the better the relationship. Likewise, you could say... Control can be used to compensate for unpredictability during high pressure situations. For ANBU, one should only use one's authority when one perceives her limit for effective command--natural signaling--is exceeded. It should be the exception, then, to lean on your authority as ANBU, rather than the rule.

"What has this to do with disaster? Your natural authority and your ability to lead determine your success or failure on the battlefield and in the event of an emergency. Effective command comes through true leadership. This is the quality we ANBU most desire. Ah, but I will get too far off topic if I keep discussing leadership, so let us move along. Suffice it to say, what you most need after leadership is unity of purpose in your organization--you should all strive together for the same ends." She sat back in the chair and moistened her lips.

"Emergency responders need to know their co-workers, their offical leaders, and informal leaders. Make it a point to seek these people out--you can rely on them. Get to know them before a disaster occurs. You can learn a great deal from not only talking to them, but from observing them as well.

"Take stock of your resources--your supplies, the skills and weaknesses of the people you work with, the type and capabilities of special equipment at your disposal, and the lay of the land--structures, landscape, hazards.

"Ideally, the role of military personnel such as the Deathwatch and the ANBU will be, ideally, minimal. Our concern is the preservation of law and order, custody of any offenders, documentation of evidence, exchange of intelligence, and most importantly the protection of key areas and personnel. For medical personnel, care of the injured, shelter, and feeding are most important. For the main branch, media releases, intelligence exchanges, evacuations, communications maintenance, all of these are part of their duties. Thus, delineation of areas of responsiblity, joint patrols, these are important areas to have a working understanding of. Coordination between responding organizations is crucial to an effective, orderly recovery.

"Some tasks the ANBU and Main Branch may especially cooperate on are things like transport of detained persons, evacuating civilians, conducting searches, supporting civilian detention facilities, operating checkpoints and roadblocks, patrolling and security of sensitive areas and critical facilities, riot control formations, anti-sniping and anti-looting operations, and fire fighting.

"However, perhaps the ANBU's most powerful role is physically and psychologically suppressing civil disturbances--you know us by reputation." Rin quirked an eyebrow. "Before I continue... Questions?"
OOC said:
Next round up in 48 hours.

Kaoru

Yen
ASP
Deaths

Kaoru looked to the back as she saw two men walk into the classroom, one was all out of breath from running in the hall, the other was covered in gore. The latter sat next to her. He stank of sweat and blood, yet Kaoru was not completely bothered by it due to her life in the apothecary. She gave the man a glance then proceeded to listen to the lecture.

Kaoru felt a pang of pride as Santaru sama praised the answer she had given. The lesson began with a speech on the importance of leadership. Then it moved on to the branch's duties and the cooperation between them in some situations. Kaoru made sure to jot down any important details for future reference.

By the end of Santaru sama's speech, Kaoru's head was spinning with new information. She quickly jotted down her notes, then leaned back in her chair as she put together the jumble of knowledge in her head. After doing so she raised her hand for a queston. When Santaru sama called on her she said "What do we do if we ever end up alone with a civilian? Like say I somehow had no contact to any leaders. What would you do?" The body odor of the man sitting next to her was starting to get to Kaoru. She took a deep breath, trying hard to not let the stranger not notice her grossed out expression. Kaoru sat back down, adding a few more details to her already extended notes.

Santaru Rin

Yen
ASP
Deaths

Rin grinned a little at her erstwhile 'students.' Shindou's aroma was rapidly filling the room--a mix of rank sweat and possible bowel. Likely not his, but an enemy's. Whatever he had gotten up to in the city at Masao's direction had almost certainly been disgusting. Investigation missions so often ceased being simple and turned rather involved. The Kizoku family all seemed to enjoy applying a personal touch to things.

The boy had taken a seat and looked slightly less frantic; being met with a wall of words had a kind of soporific effect.

"As a Genin, Kaoru-san has authority over civilians in emergency and military matters. You should take command of the situation. You also have the authority to perform arrests. After stating your authority, you should assess your situation--that would be the 'taking stock' that I mentioned. See what resources are at your disposal, what hazards you are facing, and how you can mitigate those hazards. Finding a place free of environmental hazard is your first priority in the event of a disaster. After that, you should work to establish contact with leadership and other groups like yours. If you cannot find radio equipment, or it is unreliable, you will either have to designate runners to carry messages, or you will be obligated to seek other people yourself. We do have hardened stations in Kumogakure, so anything more than transient disruption to our frequencies is vanishingly rare. That is why you should always have a headset.

"Kaoru-san has brought up, though indirectly, an important point. Responsibility. The responsibility for responding to these incidents begins at the scene--with individuals and authorities who are present and capable of action. From there, responsibility radiates outward to those who are not immediately present but know or can be informed, up the chain of command all the way through the Branches and Sennin to the Raikage. For a significant disaster with national or even international ramifications, that responsibility is transmitted all the way to the Council of Eleven and the Shogun. For this system to work, everyone must be aware of their roles.

"So, the roles of civilians may vary--our village has many highly placed civilians, who may be anything from retired ninja to those who have never set foot in the Academy. Respect their experience and knowledge, but understand that you also have authority and training. A Genin should be prepared to take command of any emergency situation in which no superiors are available and capable. It is your responsibility to guide people to safety and to attempt to establish contact with superiors--Chuunin, Jounin, or even directly with Sennin or the Raikage. You have basic training in survivalism and first aid; evacuation takes priority, and then first aid.

"The responsibility to assume command climbs the ranks. A capable Chuunin present at an emergency takes command. Chuunin are authorized, to a limited extent, to commit the comptroller of the village to spend money as a reward or in an exchange for services during emergency situations--such as if you really needed a fast horse and you could only purchase one. They can take control over civilian operations such as utilities and communications if necessary. If there is a Jounin, that burden falls onto him, and so forth. Jounin wield great authority in the village as leaders of division and our right hands in the world--they have the right to assert authority over all civilian leadership during an emergency, including citizens on the village Council and over Clan heads. If required, a Jounin may essentially exert martial law over an area he has established control over during an emergency. Abuse of these privileges may, in the aftermath, lead to imprisonment or worse, which balances out the worst tendencies in our natures..."

She smiled slightly.

""Since we aren't discussing emergency preparedness, we'll skip all of that nonsense as rather high level and irrelevant--suffice to say that this class is part of the training component of preparation. The village has caches of emergency equipment at regular locations, which you may learn about at the Torre or in the library. The academy is one such site.

"So, Kaoru-san, an emergency occurs. Your priority is to gain situational awareness. Investigate your surroundings, see what resources you have at hand, evaluate your risks. You must continually monitor your situation and refine the accuracy and completeness of what you know about what's happening. That information should be transmitted to whomever is in charge above you, if you can contact them. If you are with other people, take the time to find out what their strengths and weaknesses are--anyone who has an expertise or knowledge valuable to your situation is a resource. Use and protect them.

"This occurs at an individual and organizational level. The village leadership must continually seek out information and refine its means of gathering such information. This helps create a clearer and clearer picture of what is happening--be it a bombing or an earthquake or some other massive disaster. The incident at the Torre Celeste is merely one example. Higher ups need subordinates to transmit crucial information as quickly and accurately as possible, and to be kept informed via regular status reports.

"The next step is activating resources and deploying them. As I noted, resources can be people as well. The resources, capabilities, deployed should be relative to the size, scope, and nature of the disaster at hand. All responders--that includes each of you--must maintain contact using radio protocols or runners as possible. If required, additional resources can be requested, but such requests must be prioritized, as everything, including expertise, is subject to scarcity. Consider the matter of triage--if you have a large number of wounded, which is likely in the case of an emergency, notice what Med-Nin do. They sort wounded by classifications: those who are likely to live, regardless of care received; those who are likely to die, regardless of care received; those for whom immediate care may mean the difference between life or death.

"Who receives treatment first? Those for whom it will produce the most benefit--those whom it is likely to safe. The first category, that of people who will likely to die regardless, do not receive the bulk of resources under such tight circumstances. Those who are likely to survive anyway receive a lower priority, but still above those expected to die. In some cases--especially where shinobi are concerned--you might see "reverse triage." These cases are most often seen during war or battle, when you need men returned to the fighting as soon as possible, or when significant numbers of med-nin are among the wounded and must be returned to service to provide care. Other skill-sets may also warrant such priority. It is the same for a disaster.

"Can anyone explain how the concept of triage relates to disaster response?"

Kaoru

Yen
ASP
Deaths

Santaru sensei gave a smile to the class. The room was beginning to be filled with the scents that accompanied by the man sitting next to her. Kaoru frantically wrote down the asnwer to her question. The next section of the lecture was about responsibility and the importance of relaying information in an emergency. Kaoru continued to write down notes as the woman spoke. Santaru sensei finished out the speech with explaining the concept of triage and asking how that was related to the lesson. Kaoru closed her eyes as she meditated over the matter. She had never thought about anything of this nature, so it took her a minute. She raised her hand and said "It could apply if you were deciding on who to save. For example you have ten people, all of them are injured in some way. You can only save eight. So you would try to save everyone who could survive with treatment, but leave behind the two that had no hope of living, even with medical intervention. Is that correct?" Kaoru wasn't sure if her answer was accurate, but it was the only situation she could come up with.

Shiruba

Yen
ASP
Deaths

Shindou listened to what Rin had to say. She was absolutely right about everything and the most important part was the last thing she spoke about in his eyes. You must be able to swiftly decide who lives or dies at the best of your ability. The people I save will depend on importants, from being a shinobi to a civilian. Shinobi have first priority in being saved because we are scarce in the world. It is harder to replace a fine shinobi then it is an accountant. This may seem a bit evil but its the sad truth. From the shinobi to be saved I will first grab the most injured but are likely to live because they may have a smaller time frame to be saved and then I'll go to the less injured.

How this all relates to a disaster response? Well, Shindou was going to let the next person answer that.

Katsu

Yen
ASP
Deaths

[Placeholder: I fixed the interwebs, they are reliable now. This post will be replaced by an actual RP very soon. Sorry for the hold-up.]

Santaru Rin

Yen
ASP
Deaths

"You have the general gist," she nodded to Kaoru. "Kizoku-san is closer to the mark. In responding to a catastrophe, you have to assess the damage and decide what can be saved, what must be saved, and what will be, in the near term, a no man's land. Operations centers, utilities, shelter, sensitive locations--these are things you want to consider attempting to secure. Though really, Kizoku-san, I would sell twenty five Chuunin for a single good accountant. You would not believe the number of cases of treason we have resolved through number crunching..." She trailed off.

"Anyway." She glanced at the casually dressed student, who had said very little.

"As I said, responsibility flows upwards. When the chain of command is relatively intact during and immediately after a mass destruction event, responsibility falls to the ANBU and flows as usual to the Raikage. His is ultimate authority. You all report to your superiors, and they report to me. Each of you, down the last person, knows your place in the hierarchy. You know, or will get to know, your peers, superiors, and subordinates; who has seniority, who has know-how, who is a leader. Even if there were only one ANBU remaining--that person, even if a trainee, assumes authority. Medical shinobi assume authority over all things medical, but their needs are not superior to the needs of the village, nor to village security. Main branch provides us with support, but during such circumstances, authority is ours and they are expected to cooperate. It is thus incumbent upon us to ensure that the harmony of our working relationships are maintained as best we can, and that such authority never be foolishly wielded from greedy, ignorant, or power-mongering motives.

"We have two major crisis command centers. That is the command center located in the Legation complex. It brings together the responding organizations of the shinobi and civilians. The second is the Aesculapium, which coordinates all medical efforts resulting from mass casualty events. These centers exchange information and direct operations. For you on the ground, that means you will be reporting to them; for ANBU, you will report to me, and I am responsible for relaying information to them.

"That does not mean waiting on orders. You must be proactive and expect, as they say, the unexpected. These chaotic situations evolve in unexpected and often undesirable ways. You must consider your safety, your group's safety, and, if the event is precipitated by enemy action, the goals and likely plans of that enemy. In the event of a suspected attack, priority is given to securing valuable non-combatants and sensitive sites. Attacks are usually made to create FUD--fear, uncertainty, and dismay--and are used as a smokescreen for taking care of targets such as valuable individuals and information.

"With those factors taken care of according to protocol to the best of our resources, then one must turn to rescue efforts or securing resources. Cooperate with any medical shinobi who are collecting the wounded at "casualty points." A list of these points are available here at the academy, at the Legation, at the Torre Celeste, the Aesculapium, and library. The Aesculapium is but one such site and may not be the most accessible--or even available--in a crisis. The recent attack on the Torre Celeste is why it is critical to avoid relying on any one location, especially a high profile location, for coordination.

"As I warned before, your willingness to assist our medics cannot compromise operations or safety. Be reasonable, be smart, be cautious. Your value to the village cannot be overstated. Do not gamble yourselves cheaply. Moreover, medics themselves are valuable resources--do not risk them unwisely. First responders represent a wide number of professions and roles in the village, and not all of those are combat ready. Do your best to ensure that a site is safe before entering for evac purposes. Make sure where ever you collect casualties, assets, and personnel is secure. Do your best to avoid contamination.

"Immediately after an event, our response is to greatly step up our security presence. This means seen and unseen individuals. The Torre Celeste is staffed by visible members of the Raikage Guard. The Gates, now under the jurisdiction of the Main Branch's Deathwatch, are on alert for shinobi and civilians not carrying proper papers, unusual behavior, and persons traveling without documented authorization." She studiously did not roll her eyes. "The village interior has stepped up its security presence. Security at the Aesculapium, academy, library, and Legation has been enhanced. Crowd control is a focus temporarily, and a curfew is in effect until mid-week.

"Eventually, we begin stepping down extra security, as we have begun doing in the past week and a half. High alert takes a toll on the psyche of the village and its forces and decreases our operational efficacy if kept too long."

She paused for a few beats.

"Now, many things I could say about worst case scenarios really involves information you were or will be exposed to in survival training. Kizoku-san is a veteran, Kaoru-san has had training, and you, newbie, will get some if you haven't yet, mark my words. Therefore I will not spend more breath on it.

"Natural disasters tend to be unutterably complete, beyond what even the most dedicated enemies and terrorists can bring to bear. The only thing which even comes close to the amount of devastation the kami of heaven and earth can bring is radiation techniques. So... Ask any related questions."

Shiruba

Yen
ASP
Deaths

Shindou smirked at her comment about 25 Chuunins, maybe he used to wrong profession. Cloud had a good back up plan for an attack and it should serve well if they were ever attacked. The Demon invasion took Cloud by surprise and a defense against something like that was definitely needed. Most of the things the Commander said was true and he didn't have any interests in asking questions. He hoped the students near him would ask the appropriate questions during this class.

Radiation techniques? I actually never heard of that type technique before, is that an advanced element?

She brought it up so, hopefully it counts as related to the subject.

Kaoru

Yen
ASP
Deaths

Another jungle of information for Kaoru to untangle came her way as Santaru sama continued the lesson. Her notes were no longer notes, instead it was an infinite amount of words jumbled together on a couple of pieces of paper. How Kaoru read her notes, no one knows.

After the speech, Shindou san asked about the radiation tecniques that Santaru sama had mentioned. Kaoru was also curious. Is it like nuclear? she thought. The young girl raised her hand " I second Shindou san's question" Kaoru said quietly. She looked down to her notes reviewing the new information as she awaited the sensei's answer.

Santaru Rin

Yen
ASP
Deaths

"Radiation techniques utilize an advanced element related to plasma, lightning, fire, light, and so forth. These are all forms of radiation, so the naming is a little foolish because it just refers to the process of energy traveling. More specifically, the techniques are ionizing radiation, a form of radiation in which some particles, I am told, gain or lose a particle controlling the nature of their 'charge,' which is akin to magnetism. This is not my field of expertise, so I'm afraid that I don't really understand the 'how' of this myself. What I can say is that the disaster which befell Raiden's Breath, the nuclear-powered train, and which left parts of Bear Country and Marsh Country unliveable messes are all related to this form of energy...

"This radiation can leave something of itself behind, as it involves matter, and what is left behind is poison to living things like you and I. The hills of Marsh Country, where such power was used once for battle, are silent. No birdsong. No peasants farming. No merchants trading. The poison contaminates. What the radiation does not burn up is left to die a terrible, rotting death, remaining aware and in pain until the extreme of an uncurable illness which may take weeks to die from. We have no means of cleaning this contamination at this time. The carcass Raiden's Breath has been abandoned to create another village hidden in a smoking crater.

"The energy is not entirely malign. The Aesculapium uses this technology for its x-ray machines, and some technologies apply it to the use of entertainments or, as in the case of the train, transportation. But used in aggression, or hijacked by violent interests, ionizing radiation is fearsome beyond compare. Its wartime use is, I think, so beyond the pale of inhuman that I would caution against deploying it in combat or even practice for combat.

"There are cases of radioactive materials, which carry this contamination, and can become airborne or waterborne. A cunning enemy might even use trade traffic or foot traffic to disperse such contaminants, or introduce them to the food supply. A subtle use like any of these would be exceedingly difficult to detect in a timely fashion to prevent or minimize harm. A disaster of this type would require the intervention of the Aesculapium. We would act in a security role. An attack using such jutsu or materials overtly would, depending on the act, either be extremely simple to prevent or contain, or impossible; it is difficult to say."

She folded her hands on the desk. "I have seen the results of this energy first hand and cannot condone its wartime use. Its more peaceful applications unnerve me the more I learn about the extent of its utility--because of how useful it is, how can humanity not find it an attractive option and seek to use it more and find additional means of obtaining it? The temptation to turn such a thing to bloody ends would be immense once one had it. Our forefathers who harnessed lightning were the same; now we use electricity like we use clean water, and also use it to kill without thinking. But lightning leaves nothing of itself behind but burns. This so-called radiation element leaves behind a poison that makes light of a leper's suffering."

Katsu

Yen
ASP
Deaths

((OOC: Since I ended up botching this class, assume Katsu is just quietly taking notes and otherwise too absorbed in his own thoughts to vocally participate unless someone attempts direct physical persuasion. Sorry about that. I'll post an exit once the class is over, and I'll react if anyone attempts to touch/move Katsu or the desk he's sitting at.))

[Round Skip]

Kaoru

Yen
ASP
Deaths

Kaoru took notes on the new, yet slightly disturbing topic. She put down her pencil as she thought about the people that must have perished under such cricumstances. She felt a tears behind her eyes, she shook her head to stop herself from tearing up. I can't cry at such a thought Kaoru was no longer a little girl and she knew that. She couldn't let these kind of things get to her.

"Terrifying" she mumbled, a shiver going down her spine. The smell of blood next to her did not help.

I hope I never have to see that kind of devastation she thought to herself as she sat in her seat waiting for the sensei to continue on with the lecture. The silence of the room was starting to bug her.

Shiruba

Yen
ASP
Deaths

Shindou listened intently on the subject. This abilities seemed to powerful and it shouldn't be in shinobi's hands but it was. Should Cloud shinobi learn this type of jutsu or is it to damaging to the environment. Shindou only new one form of advanced elemental jutsu and that was the shadow element but his was not nearly as devastating has a radiation technique. Shadow jutsu was for sneak attacks like true shinobi and it also helps to evade attackers and escape battles. This was extremely important if you are out numbered or trying to save anyone from harm.

The radiation jutsu was a form of poison but it wasn't a liquid or gas but plasma. Is there anyway to cure radiation sicknesses or any defects that derive from it?

So it's like my Shadow techniques. Fire and water base combined to make a new advanced element. Do you plan on learning such a technique? You are Santaru and you should be accustomed to lightning based jutsu.

Santaru Rin

Yen
ASP
Deaths

Kaoru seemed intent, visibly digesting the information Rin had presented on radiation jutsu. In contrast to her somewhat disturbed expression, Shindou seemed fascinated.

"Well, some things other advanced elements can do can inflict what you might call a disaster as well... Even basic elements can, used irresponsibly, lead to gross destruction of life and property. An e-ranked fire jutsu cast in the grasslands in autumn; a storm-type jutsu raining hail on fields of barley; lightning bolt starting a forest fire. But radiation is unique. Even poison jutsu don't quite match its nature, though you could easily kill a population by pumping foulness into their water supply. Part of the reason Santaru gained supremacy here in the earliest histories was their mastery over the elements of weather, which could ensure or deny a harvest, and thus determined the fates of our ancestors and thus shaped the lives of all of their descendants who still people this nation. But if radiation had been discovered then? We might not have had a land to live in." She stepped neatly around the Santaru question; what Santaru could and couldn't do wasn't wholly hers to say--and she didn't want to reveal her own uncertain nature, either.

"If there are no further questions on the subject, I will call this class dismissed. Thank you for attending."

Current Ninpocho Chronicles Time:

Back