Ninpocho Chronicles

Ninpocho Chronicles is a fantasy-ish setting storyline, set in an alternate universe World of Ninjas, where the Naruto and Boruto series take place. This means that none of the canon characters exists, or existed here.

Each ninja starts from the bottom and start their training as an Academy Student. From there they develop abilities akin to that of demigods as they grow in age and experience.

Along the way they gain new friends (or enemies), take on jobs and complete contracts and missions for their respective villages where their training and skill will be tested to their limits.

The sky is the limit as the blank page you see before you can be filled with countless of adventures with your character in the game.

This is Ninpocho Chronicles.

Current Ninpocho Chronicles Time:

Reformation II [Private]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Takaki Saeko

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Continued from here:

“Damnable, duck-lipped, panda-headed churl…” muttered Masao under his breath as he trudged in the direction of the Torre Celeste, his breath ragged and his body aching. Encountering Tama had put him in a decidedly annoyed-as-hell mood. For once, when he looked at the tower, he cursed how tall it was. The elevators were undergoing needed maintenance after being strafed repeatedly with that warhawk’s gatling arbalest, and so the only option left to him for accessing the Raikage’s office was to walk up the stairs. Those endless stairs protected by a genjutsu that made the walk seem endless.

Nothing to do about it now. Can’t be helped and all that bullshit, he thought as he strode into the main lobby of the building and showed his identity papers to the receptionists present. Taking a look around at the ongoing repairs, he smirked – some of that damage had been his and his team’s handiwork. Noticeably, the juice bar was still absent. Walking past the desk, he ascended one side of a duo of sweeping, elegant stairs to a rotunda level and proceeded through a hidden doorway that would offer a more direct route.

The genjutsu still held, giving the illusion of endless stairs and doors, but he had figured out a small trick to help him bypass its effects. Closing his eyes and holding his breath, he sprinted forward up the steps, knees crunching and thighs burning. After what seemed like an eternity of climbing, he finally spilled out into the main corridor outside Hayata’s office and took a moment to catch his breath. He was now forty seven years old, and way past his prime as a shinobi. Still, he was Vice Commander for a reason, and Shin trusted him, so perhaps there were a few more years of service left in his aching bones.

He returned the salutes given by the ANBU guard standing at attention outside the office and proceeded through, taking off his hat and giving a polite, low-by-protocol bow when he entered the room.

“Raikage-sama. The Gensui Rikugun Taishou of the ANBU at your service returns your summons…”

[Private thread for Shin, Rin, and Kushin. Starting thread as per my correspondence with Shin.]

Shu

Yen
ASP
Deaths

The office was filled sound tranquility like the soothing waters flowing through the docks. The sonorous rhythms wrapped around the burning aroma of peppermint and mint from the brewing tea cups besides Shin's desk. Shin was standing in front of his desk with his back turned toward Masao. On his neck rested a small wooden violin and his right hand occupied a large wooden stick with silver hairs spreading from its sides. The wooden stick lid across the violin with every emollient note echoing into the room. The fluid movements of his hand stopped as he heard Masao's voice. He turned around placing his violin to his sides before he spoke.

"Masao, it is good to you responded to my call. I know that you are rather busy. Please have a seat. I have brewed some peppermint and mint tea if you would like some." Shin said as he offered he pointed toward the empty seat next to him. He walked toward the back corner and lifted a black case that had the shape of his violin. He popped the case open before sliding his instrument into it.

Takaki Saeko

Yen
ASP
Deaths
The last strains of the sweetly sorrowful notes brushed against his ears as the rosined horsehair drew against the metal-and-gut strings of the violin that Shin played. Immediately, Masao felt slightly guilty for practically bursting into the room to announce himself. Seeing the Raikage in a moment such as this – at peace and expressing himself in a way that he normally would or could not, was a rare occurrence indeed, and especially since what had transpired with the man’s uncle recently.

“Ah, thank you, Shin. I will have some tea, actually,” said Masao, noticing that for now, they were the only ones in the office. As he took a seat and lifted a cup of the herbal brew to his lips, he blew over its top before taking a small sip. “I didn’t know you played a Stradivarius, old friend,” said Masao, smiling. “I sometimes dabble in the violoncello, myself. Perhaps we may play a duet one day,” he said. Indeed, aboard the great warships of the Imperial Navy, when there was little to do when traversing the oceans, the officers would often amuse themselves that way, entertaining the crew in the process. He sat back in his chair, regarding the Raikage with narrow, but compassionate eyes. The man seemed no worse for wear since absorbing Makoro’s essence into himself through Deta.

“How do you fare these days? Of all the people affected by your uncle...I cannot imagine anyone was more grievously wounded than you.”

Junan

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Another meeting was taking place. He knew it was only amongst the sennin, much like last time when they had someone intrude on them and the entire meeting turned into a complete and utter pile of shit which wasted his time almost completely.

Walking through the door he looked around deliberately Ah good, no flies this time. Before he then found himself a seat.

His hand raised and fingers ran through his hair, pushing them back off his face. As far as he'd been able to figure out, Souseiki wasn't invited to this meeting. Which told him one thing. However there was the issue that he'd not been able to find out who had been invited instead. So he didn't know who the replacement was going to be.

Kushin was on the other hand amazed that it'd taken this long to remove him. After the last meeting where he'd made a complete fool of himself, basically stating that he wouldn't be following the orders of the Raikage, Kushin thought he'd have been replaced almost as a matter of urgency.

Santaru Rin

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Rin followed in after Kushin, feeling like a student being chivvied down a corridor single file. She grinned madly at the Medical Sennin; the grin only grew wider when she took in her husband wearing the most idiotic example of recent fashions. That hat is going to set sail with his entire fat head. The room practically reeked of mint, but that was better than the stale sweat smell that had lingered in it on her previous meeting here.

The Raikage was holding a violin loosely. Perhaps that had been the music she had heard earlier--she wasn't aware that playing was among the man's habits, as it seemed a little too... Emotional... For the pent-up Uchiha. She composed her expression rapidly, stowing away the smile of insanity and shuttering the mirth in her eyes. School was in session. No time to throw rocks at boys in stupid hats. She bowed politely to Hayata Shin, something that the others seemed to have eschewed. That behavior wasn't part of the parameters of her relationship with Hayata. Kushin's distaste for the man was practically palpable, a stark and intriguing contrast against the warmth Masao felt for him. Cold and hot, sour and sweet, these opposites were the stuff savor was made from.

She took up her post near the door, content to wait to speak until spoken to.

Shu

Yen
ASP
Deaths
After putting his instrument away he walked toward his seat. Masao made himself comfortable as he began pouring himself a cup of tea.

I didn’t know you played a Stradivarius, old friend,” said Masao, smiling. “I sometimes dabble in the violoncello, myself. Perhaps we may play a duet one day,” He said.

"Yes, my father was the one who taught me. The instrument belongs to him. Ironically, he believed that music could be used to focus the chakra within the mind. He always had a logically reason for everything even though he could never truly hide his feelings, especially for my mother. This was mother's favorite song." Shin said. "I hope in the time of peace we can play together."

He stretched his hand toward the kettle at the right and poured himself a cup of tea. The steam slithered out of his cup. "How do you fare these days? Of all the people affected by your uncle...I cannot imagine anyone was more grievously wounded than you.”

Shin sighed before placing the kettle down. "It is difficult, Masao. I have requested to speak with my uncle through Deta but he refused it. He said that releasing Makoro will only further danger the village." Shin paused for a moment to collect his thoughts. His words remain sanguine but a slitter of doubt crept over him. "In a way, the death of my uncle is fate's spite against me. No matter what I do it would seem that I will always be against my family. When I looked into his eyes I could see my father in him. I could not bring myself to kill him. I understood his pain so well and if it were not for my mother and the people that I have encountered over the years I would have stood right by him. I remembered when you said that family was not just by blood. I would like to see you and the village as family". Shin smiled.

The only family that he had were Joukuu and his mother's clan in fire country. He had not taken the time to see them or could bring himself to meet them over all these years. Sometimes, Shin blames his mother's family over her death. At least, his mother would happy to see him living in peace.

Moments later, Kushin and Rin entered the room. Kushin remained aloof as he sat next to Masao and Rin kept her distance at the door. He stood from his seat once more before speaking.

"The purpose of this meeting should be obvious. Souseki has been missing over a few weeks now. I have kept the branch in order for some time considering his stripped status. I wanted to set up a trial for him to defend himself impartially; unfortunately, it seems that his absence has delayed that effort. I have requested the ANBU to be searching for him and bring him back." Shin said taking a solemn breath. "Regardless, I have spoken to Council and decided to nominate Takaki Masao as the successor for Main Branch Sennin. He has proven himself a valuable asset during these hard times. I feel it is logically to give him this rank. The branch needs someone to place it back in order." Shin paused for a moment for the others to speak.

"Second, I do want to talk about our methods to nominating our succesors, but before we do I would like to switch the topic on another important matter." Shin walked by his desk.

"Rin has brought to attention a problem that has been in my mind for some time. The shinobi of our village have been plague by mental ilness for over the years. Rin has designed a proposal that we should consider and I believe it to be fair that she be the one to explain it."

Takaki Saeko

Yen
ASP
Deaths
“Your uncle may have rejected you, but to Rin and I, you have always been family, Shin,” said Masao. “We just didn’t know it until now. In a way, that is the one good thing Makoro may have done; to force us all to really consider the stuff of our bonds.”

Moments later, the Medical Sennin and Rin, the ANBU Sennin, walked into the office. Kushin seemed to be his usual arrogant ass-of-a-self, which was actually comforting in a strange way to see. Rin of course was being herself in that she wore a feral grin that was as unsettling as it was strangely attractive. Perhaps she was impressed by the new Capital fashion he now sported!

He rose to greet them, nodding at Kushin and to his wife in turn. Now, Shin spoke, answering the original question of why the sudden summons from the tracking of Enishi – now, arguably, Cloud’s most wanted suspect.

“Regardless, I have spoken to Council and decided to nominate Takaki Masao as the successor for Main Branch Sennin. He has proven himself a valuable asset during these hard times. I feel it is logically to give him this rank. The branch needs someone to place it back in order."

Main Branch…Sennin? As in the person in charge of the majority of shinobi living and working for the village of Cloud? But he was the Vice Commander of the ANBU… He had been an ANBU for most of his shinobi career, and if there had been one certainty in his life, it was that he would die as one.

Images flashed through his mind. A small body, bound to a chair and with a black bag over its head… Santaru Ryuuto giving him a throwing knife and promising that he would join the ranks of the giri bannin in exchange for an insignificant life... Tearing the bag off of the body’s head and discovering that it was Rin… Storming the Sileo amidst the cracking of bolter-fire... Taikyuu Tatsu’s lifeless body slumped in the Vice Commander’s chair with a blade through his heart... Nara Aio’s dying breaths as Rin electrocuted him in execution…

Okay, so most of those memories are actually pretty horrendous, he conceded to himself, remembering the contrasting carefree times of his early years in the Main Branch. But to suddenly switch? Wasn’t it treason to these memories and all who had died to make them? To shape him into the man he was now? Still, however, Shin had stated his case. It was undeniable that the Main Branch had become directionless – had listed in the winds and its members grown wild and hard to control. What was needed now was order. And that, if nothing else, he could provide.

He drew in a long breath before responding.

“Yes, old friend. I accept the nomination,” he said, rising and bowing to Shin. “I was once a part of the Main Branch a long time ago. I would not be the person I am without it. So if you need me to heal it, I will do so gladly,” he said, calmly.

Junan

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Well, the first was obvious, as stated, the second... it was all Kushin could do to hold back a sigh. They were a shinobi village... they delt with the supernatural on a daily basis, and they wondered why there was a psychosis issue?

At any rate, it looked like it was going to be the second in charge of ANBU taking over the Main Branch. Was the center of Cloud really so lacking in leadership that Cloud would need to take away from its ANBU division to manage it? Probably. Souseiki with his version of how shinobi shouldn't do as they were told likely got rid of anyone who questioned his opinions. Yanno... it was always the dickheads who went about saying that kind of crap who were the worst people for doing so.

Hypocrites.

Still it was now for Masao to respond. After a pause. Deliberate thought. Masao agreed. Kushin wondered what it was that went through the older mans thoughts during those moments. He'd returned from voluntary retirement to become the second in charge of ANBU, now Sennin of Main. It became more and more clear that that giant in the forge, Akira Saito, was more than just a human wrecking ball. The man had brought out of retirement two shinobi who he knew that Shin could trust. Two leaders who could run the village and would do so in a way that would benefit the village as a whole. Had this been his intention the entire time? Did that last remaining Hyuuga eye hold foresight untold? A shiver ran up Kushin's spine at the memory of his visit to the mans forge, the way the eye had regarded him, how it seemed to look right through him, how Kushin knew it could physically do exactly that.

Taking a breath he calmed himself, the goosebumps on his arms easing back to the smoothness they should be at. Thankfully hidden by the sleeves on his robes.

Which brought up the issue that Rin had brought up with Shin. The matter of mental health. Kushin had an idea of what this would be, the two of them had spoken over this matter previously. Kushin had raised the issues that he'd seen with her proposal at the time, advised her to seek out Shin and get his approval to bypass those issues. Issues like individual rights, the right to be treated equally and without discrimination. Oh how he hoped that he would be allowed to discriminate freely. Oh how glorious would it be that it was actually two others in this room who would go about giving him the right to do so.

Santaru Rin

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Rin waited with a small, ineffably calm smile. The room was a-buzz with thoughtnoise, and only part of it was her own. Of course... The last senior, ranking member of the village who can wipe his own ass. And now I don't have a right hand I can trust. Who am I supposed to replace him with? She didn't allow even a flicker of irritation to cross her face at Hayata's announcement. We just had a meeting--he couldn't have said something at that time? There's been no time to prepare appropriately... This situation was always the risk--leadership being abruptly removed. Well, he wasn't dead, so she hadn't lost Masao's expertise, only the most efficient use of it. Though the Main Branch does need someone willing and lacking in anti-social tendencies to lead it. With that concession, her troubled thoughts cleared.

"When Fujinami-san re-emerges, he will be brought before the Raikage," Rin replied, bowing slightly in acknowledgement of the order. She touched her ear, briefly activating the transmission function. "I accept Takaki Masao's resignation from the ANBU." The last was transmitted back to the Sileo, and then she flicked the small headset off again. "Outprocessing will commence after the meeting closes."

At Hayata's order, Rin glanced at Kushin. Now his motivations were, by his own thoughts, well-outlined. He didn't seem keen to speak, which was well enough.

"The discussion we had was thus..." She explained the proposal with all three present. I had hoped, Hayata, that you would save me the trouble, and also demonstrate how well we understood each other. Emphasizing the difference between her proposed facility and the Takao Institute was one of the major points. She demonstrated the salient differences, especially that this facility would not be for long term incarceration. "Severe cases should be remanded to the custody of the Takao Institute, as is policy," she reinforced. She reminded them that much of the ground work already existed--now it would be put to the use of making sure individuals were treated before they warranted serious punishment or involuntary commitment.

Of course it's better to exercise judgment and discretion, she thought. Nothing had ever kept her from removing a shinobi under her command from a position he was unfit to hold. The Medical Sennin seemed rather too excited over the prospect. Perhaps he expected to remove shinobi from anywhere at only his say-so. Such a thing could get... Hairy. His enthusiasm was nothing she would work herself up over for now, but given his past interaction with at least one of her subordinates, he bore paying some attention to. I would rather not feel that I must distrust my fellows, but Souseiki did not leave me that luxury. Can I really even lay that at his feet? No. I was taught this fear long ago. It was the echo of terror she had learned from her sensei.

Fear is the greater part of love.

"So that is my proposal. I had already begun working something out for the ANBU along these lines, but the efficacy of the project is greater if all three branches are committed to cooperation. I think that the rapid response teams may enjoy the most efficiency, but I expect that the treatment center will have the longest-lasting gains. There are one or two small, private clinics offering somewhat similar services in the village, but they do not have the backing of our branches' specialists, nor the resources ready to bring to bear on the problem. Misappropriation and misuse of the information we gather would, obviously, need to be subject to appropriate penalties, as it would be classified and privileged. Still, putting aside the analysis, much of the raw information itself is already available in each of our respective databases."

Ah, I could use some water, she thought. She hated speaking so much--perhaps Hayata knew and was just putting her through the wringer for her habitual impertinence. Perhaps Kushin's desires are less of a problem and more of an opportunity. His thoughts are close enough to my own that it is like looking into a yellow mirror. Akira knows of him. Perhaps it is time I paid him a visit to learn more about this boy... And to see how goes his retirement.

Shu

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Shin nodded his head. "I believe the proposal is sound, despite the large risks that we could be facing. It is a step that we need to take as a whole to improve our village. I mentioned an important point to Rin and I will reiterate myself again. If this plan is to work we need to improve our internal relations to the best of our abilities. Yes, this is a very obvious point but we must take it seriously. we can not afford to fight among ourselves. Is this understood?." Shin exhorting firmly. There was not much expression shown by his face hidden behind his tinted lenses and over elevated collar but they could sense the sincerity in his voice.

He sat back into his seat before speaking again.

"If there are no objections or concerns to what has been said I would like to resume to my previous statements from earlier. We all have been brought to our position by our work and accomplishments to this village but a time will come when we will need to select our own successors. There has not been a standard to how a sennin or a kage is selected. Most of the time it is by individual prowess that grants a person a honorary status. However, I would be lying if I said that this generation shares the same attitudes. Either we keep it the way we have it now or change it. I am considering changing it but I would like to hear your concerns.." He said pressing his fingers together waiting for their comments.

Takaki Saeko

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Outprocessing, eh? he thought to himself as he heard Rin’s announcement. The changing of leadership positions was always accompanied by much more paperwork, certifications, records review, and of course the thorny questions of who would next step up to the plate. He immediately thought of his own squad, the Sword of Damocles. He would have to meet with them soon to clear up any confusion and offer reassurances. Moro and Gin and even that wizardly trainee Ayumu would likely be saddened and perhaps even a bit resentful at the sudden change. Haruka, his buntaichou, could keep things together for now, but without a word from him, it would be a great disservice to the men and women who had served him so faithfully.

As he listened to Rin’s presentation for the first time, he nodded in agreement. In the fashion that only his wife could manage, she had revealed a painful truth about the village and something that had refused to be acknowledged for far too long. The pressure-cooker environment of violence and heartbreak that defined a shinobi’s existence fostered the worsening of mental illness - illness that led to the random outbreaks of violence and treason and suicide that for far too long were assumed to be the expected price of having hundreds of human weapons of mass destruction living together. Would Dyu be alive today if this program had existed thirty years ago? he wondered, feeling an unwelcome tightness in his throat and chest at the question.

“I will make sure that the Main Branch upholds its part of the responsibility for the emotional care of our shinobi. I will expect the same from the ANBU and the Medical,” he said, nodding at Rin and acknowledging the look of bloody anticipation in Kushin’s eyes. These are now my people you’re salivating over, Doctor. I have the duty to protect them now, unlike Souseiki who sold out his own for so long.

Shin now spoke again, seemingly content with the consensus that had been reached.

"If there are no objections or concerns to what has been said I would like to resume to my previous statements from earlier. We all have been brought to our position by our work and accomplishments to this village but a time will come when we will need to select our own successors. There has not been a standard to how a sennin or a kage is selected. Most of the time it is by individual prowess that grants a person a honorary status. However, I would be lying if I said that this generation shares the same attitudes. Either we keep it the way we have it now or change it. I am considering changing it but I would like to hear your concerns.."

“In the ANBU, Raikage-sama, we always had a clear idea of who would replace their superior in the chain of command was it ever compromised. I was to be the one to take charge should the Regent Commander ever fall, and I am sure that responsibility will now be passed to someone else who is capable.

“The problem that Fujinami left the Main Branch with was that there never was a clear path to who would succeed him, so the branch has become much like our country’s own council of nobles was before the coronation of Shiranai, with lords battling it out amongst themselves for supremacy. This is also something the ANBU have been watching with growing trepidation. The clans are becoming restive, and their leaders are gearing for a contest of domination. If you had not appointed me today, I’m sure that there would have been a bloodbath within the next few months to determine a successor at the cost of many lives from all of the branches, and much more economic damage. In fact, my appointment will probably not go unchallenged once our battle system is ready again,” he said, referring to the fact that in the aftermath of the Makoro incident, no one was quite ready to start a serious fight while the village recovered.

“In fact, I am absolutely sure that I will be the target of at least three assassination attempts and be called out for double the number of ‘unofficial’ duels to the death, if the history of prior Sennin is any indicator. In order to prevent this waste of resources and lives, I intend to immediately reform the branch’s structure with ordered divisions and allocation of responsibilities to various individuals, and the first thing I will announce is zero tolerance for dueling. For too long, the 'keep what you kill' philosophy has resulted in mediocrity. The Main Branch will be brought from feudal chaos to an ordered bureaucracy. And in doing so, I will definitely appoint successor candidates – it will let me keep closer eyes on the more restive members of the branch as well as potentially reveal some hidden talent for leadership. I do not have much useful service life left, so my goal is to make the rise of the next Main Branch Sennin an orderly and bloodless one."

Junan

Yen
ASP
Deaths
[OOC: You'll forgive me if I misinterpret your other thread, but it would have been better if you'd roleplayed your explanation in here separately so that I had something to more specifically talk about. Unfortunately I'm having to figure out what it is you suggested/decided on through multiple posts over a period of time.]

No. There was an issue with the request from Rin. From what had been detailed it sounded like a huge strain on his already limited mental health resources. They had the Takao Institute. That was poorly manned as it was, and it had recently had an attempted break out stopped by himself and an inmate. The actual worker there had done nothing to help. It highlighted to him the weakness of his branch, and at the same time showed him what should be done.

I disagree with Rin's proposal. We would be expending resources creating a new facility to perform the tasks of a facility we already have. In addition to this I then have to come up with a bunch of shinobi trained in mental health practices which are in excess of what I need to run the Takao Institute. I'm sorry. Medical shinobi trained in mental health do not simply grow on trees, and as you are aware there is a rise in cases of Mental health issues already. This rise is caused by a lack of medical personnel suited for the role.

I agree that this idea is a good one, I just disagree with the method suggested to put it in place.

My suggestion is that we use the databases that are already found in the Takao Institution, rework the administration building so that there are both Medical and ANBU offices. Clear out a wing for those undergoing tests and use the cells we already have to hold them. They are about as safe as any in the cavern, and with ANBU deployed in the building it will be much safer than those medical shinobi who do nothing but sit in their offices all day studying notes.

As I am sure you are all well aware I have very little influence in the Takao Institute as it is. It is not an area of my personal interest and though I can see how it helps the village as a whole I am only one shinobi. I keep it well funded, often to areas that I am more interested in's loss, I make sure it is as well staffed as I can, and I make sure that the management are sound. The drop-out rate amongst shinobi who work there is the highest in the village. Higher than the ANBU death corps., higher than the main branch even amongst the over fourties.

I don't think you understand the stress that increasing this work load, splitting the duties and performing what you have suggested will bring, and I will refuse to have this happen to my shinobi.

Yes, he was in fact genuinely opposed, and genuinely because he couldn't afford the hit that Rin's suggestion would have on those working in the medical branch. Funding wasn't an issue. Shinobi resources most definately were.

By stationing ANBU there and using the technology already in place we instead remove one of the jobs that those medical shinobi need to perform. They would be able to use the time they would normally need to use to 'do the rounds' to be able to continue their work on individual cases. The current head of the Takao Institute is the same who worked under Kogan, and I am sure that he would endorse the idea of working alongside ANBU.

An addition to this is a suggestion of my own. We often have cases where shinobi are aware of another shinobi's mental unrest before an incident occurs. As of now they likely know of no means to report this. Perhaps we should make sure that the villagers know that they should report suspects to the ANBU. The ANBU can then pick the individual up for testing, bring them to the Takao Institute where they can be tested by shinobi specially trained in mental health and then can be released or treated accordingly.

Santaru Rin

Yen
ASP
Deaths
OOC said:
Sorry. It would have been an ungodly long post with the dialogue posted essentially verbatim.

Masao was typically long-winded in describing his thoughts on the main branch and the likelihood of his life ending at the hands of some idiot who thought being Sennin meant being the best at kung-fu. I don't envy you the job, anyway, dear husband.

Hayata had reiterated his concern, though, with their successors. She sighed, knowing how thin her prospects were. "Regardless of Takaki returning to the Main Branch, I have no one I consider presently fit to take on the role of Sennin. The current crop are, variously, too old, too inexperienced, too thin-blooded, idiotic, unwilling, lacking leadership quality, or drawn to a path of self-destruction. When I reactivated, as you recall, I immediately created the role of Regent Commander and assumed it in lieu of Grand Commander in the hopes of grooming a successor. I will be promoting a new right hand upon my return to the Sileo, but I know this individual will not be interested in assuming my mantle upon my death or retirement. I am hoping that among the youths in the Raikage's service will be a few who rise to the top in terms of leadership and wisdom, if I can hold on for a few years."

Rin leaned back, half-closing her eyes as she listened to Kushin's counter-proposal. I see... I think this is the longest I've ever heard him speak. There were two main problems, she thought, with his idea--mainly, the stigma against the Takao Institute and the issue of putting a fractious, fragile population further under his thumb. The latter was neither a polite nor politic objection to raise. The former, while not trivial, would likely not be understood by the Raikage. There was a third problem, which was more the ANBU's problem than anyone else's--she did not have the staff herself to spare to further reinforce the Takao Institute, when the Legation itself was already well-guarded.

"I see, Isaki-san. I do want to reassure you that I also have staff and resources to back the proposal with, so the Aesculapium would not bear the burden alone. We have specialists as well. Your counter-proposal has its merits.

"First, though. Please understand that the practice I am proposing is not what you would call 'in-patient,' unlike what the Takao Institute specializes in. Holding evaluations and so on wouldn't necessarily require cells. Most of these people I am concerned about do not need to be imprisoned. If your staff is as distressed as you describe, then they are in the unique and painful situation of understanding what I am getting at--we need people who can treat illness born of the immense stresses each of us bear in doing our duty to the Raikage and village.

"If the Raikage is amenable, I accept your counter-proposal to use the Takao Institute. I will reinforce your staff there with a regular rotation of ANBU analysts. A detachment of the Raikage Guard can enhance security. However, I am opposed to using the databases at the Institute. I would prefer more hardened equipment on, honestly, more neutral ground. If finding appropriate space for evaluation, treatment, and research is an issue, I am prepared to make an endowment to the Aesculapium from my personal assets to both finance an addition to the Aesculapium and the treatment and research on the matter of psychological disturbances in shinobi."

Shu

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Masao's response to Shin's earlier question was not particularly what Shin was looking for. Masao continued speaking listing the overt issues laid out by the removal of Fujinami Soukeseki. His ineptness to lead has caused confusion within the emerging clans in the village. Apparently, if Shin had not nominated a successor to take over the main branch division the village might have entered into another civil conflict. Masao concluded his retort by announcing the possibility of assassinations attempts on his life alluding toward possible events that may transpire. His wife enhanced his statement by proclaiming the poor quality of their shinobi corps.

"I do not say this to you but also to myself. Let us not be passive leaders. If we find ourselves seeing only mediocrity we must produce proficiency." Shin said as he took his seat once more.

Kushin upbraided Rin proproal for its heavy labor force requirement. Shin had expected to be obvious that the branches would work together to make this happen but he did make a point that Shin had not regrettably considered at this point. Most of the ANBU were not specialized in psychological let alone general medical practices. The joke that Kushin had laid on the table was more than just humorous. However, if the goal was mitigate the prolong effects of mental derogation than the use of medical surgeries and other extreme methods may not be necessary. In fact, most of these issues can be resolved by simple day-to-day counselor meetings or relaxation sessions. Astoundingly, most shinobi alienate themselves from contemporary and pedestrian methods that the general public partake in everyday. Shin remained silent for a while as he allocated his thoughts.

"From what Rin has ascribed to me before and what she has reiterated just now. We are making greater attempts at facilitating mental outbreaks by stopping during their inceptions. In these cases it would not be completely necessary to employ a facility on simple matters. However, this is not to say that a centralized facility will not be useful it is simply unwise to pull our resources in one area. We can use the current facilities that we have around Aesculapium, Aurora Eruditio, and Aurora Eruditio for counseling and and psychiatric inspections. Takao's institute can be used for more serious issues. Furthermore, I would like to initiate private genjutsu sessions to better prepare the minds of our shinobi. I will be choosing who be aiding me in this area. Any other suggestions?"

Takaki Saeko

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Private assets? And there she was lecturing me that my money was ‘our’ money and that it didn’t matter who bought dinner or groceries, thought Masao, shrugging inside.

“In the non-shinobi world, at the bakufuu hospitals I’ve visited, there is also a severe shortage of trained physicians. What they do to make up for this is employ individuals who have not gone through the Imperial College of Surgeons like a typical physician would, but instead have been trained specifically for certain health-care tasks, and have these individuals work with a majority of patients under the arm’s-length supervision of those doctors. Essentially, you turn one doctor into ten or even twenty, without making further demands on the doctor's time or resources. If something is amiss or dangerous, then the doctor gets involved. Otherwise, there is no need.

“The Main Branch would also be able to provide individuals suited to this sort of task, mainly from an academy background. They are used to dealing with younger shinobi, anyway, and the assistant headmaster is supposed to perform this sort of task anyway. In terms of the specific location of databases or facilities, I defer to the Raikage.”

[Sorry, short post!]

Junan

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Yen wasn't a problem for Kushin. He was a member of one of the oldest and more powerful clans in Cloud, the Chigokai, and in addition to that he'd married into the Isaki who were the financial powerhouse of Water Country. That had included a large sum to his personal account as part of the dowry. He'd used it to push some things through in the medical branch when he'd needed to, but he wouldn't point that out. The financial situation of the Medical Branch were free to be seen by anyone interested in it, and the books were looking pretty good.

Yet they didn't seem to see what it was that he was saying. He wasn't saying that they weren't putting shinobi in to help out, he was saying that the shinobi that the medical branch would be best to place in were in short supply. That was why he suggested moving the operation to the Takao Institute, where those shinobi were already stationed and where they would more easily be able to contribute.

He agreed with the concept an idea. It was a good one. Though he wondered why the records wouldn't be held in the Medical Branch, this was a matter of health, mental health, even if it was to do with the prevention of serious cases that was still something which his branch already performed. The only difference this entailed was that there would be more encouragement for shinobi to be tested.

I agree that the information gained from performing this should be available to all branches, assuming people are of a high enough rank to access that information. What I am curious of is why this wouldn't be placed in the medical branch. It is a health, mental health, issue. We would be working as a whole to prevent serious cases occurring, and I'm glad that we would be doing so. However if I were to suggest creating a group of shinobi who went about enforcing laws made up from shinobi from all three branches and suggested that that be a separate entity which ruled itself that would put the ANBU out of one of the tasks that is meant to fall under their umbrella.

This is much like what is happening here.

You are taking a task that the medical branch already perform, you are promoting it through the three branches and then you're taking the authority away from the medical branch. My question to everyone here is what have I done to cause this mistrust? You realize I have to assume that this is the issue.

I have done nothing but work with you. The only thing I have implemented and had approved by you was the Kinjutsu Legalization Bill, which has resulted in the fall of murders within Cloud substantially. Some figures showing more than fifty percent.

He looked around the room a frown now on his face rather than his usual uncaring expression. His thoughts were whirring. What could it be that had caused this. Perhaps it was a fallout which was going along with the removal of that useless tool Souseiki. Maybe it was more. He looked around the room and recognized a pattern. He was the youngest here, by quite a bit. Shin was someone who'd known Rin and Masao for a long time, he has had an ongoing relationship with them. Rin and Masao were of course married. They would trust each other, all three of them knew what to expect from each other. If there was a puppet cartoon segment on this meeting a song would be going on about how one of these things is not like the others...

Maybe Souseiki's disappearance wasn't accidental. Maybe they killed him, or in some way forced him out. The information he'd received had been fed to him through Masao, Kushin may have been made the fool. Masao had been the one to profit from Souseiki's removal...

His mind was going to come to many conclusions should it not be stopped.

Santaru Rin

Yen
ASP
Deaths
"The Eruditio?" Rin pursed her lips in thought. "I suppose you are quite correct, Hayata-sama... The more experienced sensei would be more than capable of acting as counselors. And I would not want to divert serious cases from the Takao Institute--my initial reluctance about using that facility is its reputation as where the village disposes of inconvenient individuals. It is an unfair perception, one might say, but it's not uncommonly held. As for genjutsu for training... We've done that for years and years. I underwent torture and interrogation resistance training by genjutsu masters in the ANBU. I do not think it prepared me for the world. It only led me to hate. I am hoping you do not mean to do the same."

She subsided into silence and mulled over the words and thoughts filtering through the room. Though she had never really considered it before, picking up on every stray thought, charged by emotion and whim, put her under a heavy moral burden. One's thoughts didn't necessarily translate into action. But now that she had a fully opened crown, she could not simply close it. The benefits of such awareness were so great--the temptation was too much to resist. And so she had to not smirk, or sigh, or laugh, or spit at the thoughts of those around her day to day... And thus spent more solitary time in archives, studying the wheel of spiritual life, or more time one on one than she ever did before. The kunoichi who had so enjoyed crowds had become more selective in her company.

She closed her eyes and sighed softly anyway.

"For my part, will forgive this outburst because you are young. You do not have to assume anything--it is your choice to be paranoid or to trust your peers and lord.

"Nor did I say this proposed 'entity,' as you say, would be self-governed, but rather subject to joint oversight, which will help bring some of our best minds together and improve all our lots. But instead you're bickering over issues of authority and jurisdiction when I have made no obstacle to your participation and oversight.

"Your work with legalizing grafted kekkei genkei and so on has been incredible. I commend you for it, in fact. And it is here I assume your main interests lie, rather than with mental health--else I would expect to see less activity around harvesting corpses and more on psychology. We've benefited greatly from your work, and I would not want to see your progress in that field slowed. See this modest proposal with more of the excitement you had before, then, and as a way to not substantially increase your work while increasing your subordinates' productivity. I want to work with you, doctor, not against you, or at cross-purpose."

Shu

Yen
ASP
Deaths
It seem they were all going back and forth like rocking pendulum. They all had similar ideas and it appeared as if they agreed to the majority of the proposal; however, there was still a stumbling on the specifics. Perhaps it they just worked on the basics everything else will follow through. Rin expressed her approval of Shin's prior comments but decried the use of genjutsu as being unwanted and useless.

"Yes those are rudimentary methods but there are other ways to expand the mind without inducing pain. I can assure you my methods will be cordial." Shin said turning towards Rin. Rin kept to herself for a few moments examining Kushin's words. Everyone seem to be in deep thought assessing each other's statements.

Eventually, Rin broke the silence reassuring him that his fears and assumptions were just illusions of his youthful mind. She reasserted her claim that the proposal would be not be controlled by the ANBU corp but controlled holistically by all the divisions. How contentious she was to keep herself from insulting the man right in front of him who clearly had valid reasons to doubt. She attempted to hide her judgement by presenting him an accolade on his recent work of legalizing the use of grafted kekkei genkai. Shin still felt uncomfortable about that matter even more so after he learned about Rin's newly founded abilities. He did not wish for the shinobi of this village be consumed by power, even he had to keep himself in check before he was consumed. His face was grim after Rin spoke not appreciating Rin's sudden tone.

"Kushin has valid reasons to doubt, Rin. I expect you to at least respect his concerns." Shin said. He took a small breath rubbing his temple before speaking again. "We all agree that we should reestablish the use of Takao Institute. For the time being using the facility as a central counseling ground for basic needs. Let see how it works in two months time before reassessing the other issues. We need some data to draw on. Are we in agreement?"

Takaki Saeko

Yen
ASP
Deaths
"There's too much tension building up and misunderstandings going on in the room right now. Come, let's not run our village like characters from a shoujo-manga," said Masao, clearing his throat in response to the latest verbal salvos being thrown about. "I agree that mental health is a medical-branch issue at its heart, but it's also something that the whole community needs to also pitch in to help with. Otherwise people fall through the cracks. And when those people are living weapons that make the atomic bombs of prehistory seem tame in comparison, that's a serious problem.

"But we're probably getting ahead of ourselves here, as the Raikage has pointed out. I think we should do as he has commanded and utilize the Takao Institute in full for the next two months. Perhaps then we will get a sense of what our manpower needs truly are. I will instruct the Assistant Headmaster to send over students and young genin in need of help, as well as the Spymaster and Guard Captain to refer anyone in his service who has had more than two disciplinary infractions."

Junan

Yen
ASP
Deaths
I am sorry if I misunderstood, but I will always fight for my branch and I don't think it is unreasonable to worry about what looks like one of the medical branches main areas of expertise being taken away from it. I agree that working together on this matter to prevent rather than cure is a good idea, and will hopefully mean that there will be an improvement in the number suffering from mental illness.

There was something else Kushin wanted, no, needed to inform Santaru Rin about. Kushin's concern was only that, he was concerned about his own future in this group and the future of the Medical branch. There was no ill will aimed at any of them through those thoughts, so when the topic entered his mind about informing Rin about a potential issue there wasn't any positive or negative change.

The Takao Institute had a recent break in, and attempted break out. The pair were stopped through the efforts of myself and another inmate who I was meeting with at the time. This person had been inside the Institute as a volunteer, though his records showed that he suffered from multiple personality disorder and was a dangerous case. His name is Ketsueki Satou and was signed out by himself, though taken by some old man with an ego I've yet to see matched. He shook his head and explained why he believed this quietly as though it had little relevance He claimed to be 'Deaths Shadow' and spoke like some small green alien shinobi master from a six part play known as Star Skirmish.

He looked to Rin I couldn't do anything to stop his leaving short of issuing a warrant of insanity on the man, and just after he had helped stop two criminals. He was there by his own choice, though I have some serious doubts on his mental fitness. He has stated that he'll be turning up at the hospital regularly to receive blood for that is his food and was my interest in him. It also seems to be the main means to keep his human side in control. He had a kind of advanced demonic presence going, I wouldn't be surprised if he had the abilities of a Jinchuuriki. I figured the ANBU would like to be aware before something were to happen, should something happen.

He looked to the others to move the topic on now. They had reached a point of agreement in regards to the mental health push, and Kushin had segway'd it to a recent incident and possible future issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Current Ninpocho Chronicles Time:

Back