Ninpocho Chronicles

Ninpocho Chronicles is a fantasy-ish setting storyline, set in an alternate universe World of Ninjas, where the Naruto and Boruto series take place. This means that none of the canon characters exists, or existed here.

Each ninja starts from the bottom and start their training as an Academy Student. From there they develop abilities akin to that of demigods as they grow in age and experience.

Along the way they gain new friends (or enemies), take on jobs and complete contracts and missions for their respective villages where their training and skill will be tested to their limits.

The sky is the limit as the blank page you see before you can be filled with countless of adventures with your character in the game.

This is Ninpocho Chronicles.

Current Ninpocho Chronicles Time:

Survival. (Truant students will be punished...severely.)

Tsuirakuya Shashu

Yen
ASP
Deaths
It was ten minutes until the class was to start, and not a soul was to be seen in the classroom. Not a student, not a teacher, nor even a wandering spirit. Hell, if one were to look inside it would appear that no one was using the room at all. The only thing that would clue an arriving student in that this was, in fact, the room they were looking for was the large character for 'Survival' scrawled in red chalk upon the board in the front of the room. No other clues were contained within. It would be up to the students to seat themselves and wait for their instructor to arrive.

Tsutaku Sotoa

Yen
ASP
Deaths
I think I lost time dropping off my scythe at home! Oh no I hope I'm not late again!

Moving quickly through the academy without running, Sotoa looks for his new class once more. Bah!! I always get lost in this place and I cleared most of these class halls so far so I should be close by now.. I think. Sotoa thought to himself as his kunai pouch makes the sound of metal shuffled together while he basically powerwalks through the place. No..No...No....YES! This must be it!! Peeking his head inside the room he spots an empty class and glances at the board breathing a sigh of relief, believing that he made it on time and also in the right room.

Making his way inside to take a seat up front he can't help but notice the boards message, looking at it clearly right before sitting down. "Survival?" Being the only one in the room and seeing that message gave him an odd feeling. Looking and turning around as if someone would pop out from nowhere while he took his seat. Tapping the desk infront of with both index fingers as he shifts his eyes all around his surroundings to try and spot something that may catch him off guard. Okay. I think i'm clear. Nothing unusual so far. Leaning back in his seat Sotoa begins to wait for things to get started once others show up, pondering on what this class with be like before it begins.

[MFT]

Hijoshikina Meiryo

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Mei was running for dear life. Breathing terribly hard as she ran with her two backpacks on she was turning corners and doing a three step to semi drift. It was ten minutes and she was still quite far away from the classroom. Meiryo had been taking every single class she could since she got here. Some teachers say while she had the fortitude to take every class…she was not terrible good at anything she did. The nickname the kids had given her had not been terribly kind but they also did not pester her very hard. She had not really made any friends, between going home and constantly studying and taking twice the recommended load of school work. She had to do this however. Effort would be the only way for her to even come halfway up to those with talent and their hard work. Average was her goal…

Mei had gotten close but was never late. This time would be no exception.

She launched into the room and immediately put her back against the wall, sweating and breathless. She had not even opened her eyes. She was waiting for people to gossip or have the teacher tell her to calm down and get to her seat. When she opened her eyes however she noticed there was only one person in the room. Was she in the wrong room? She could have sworn this was the room for…

She saw the large red writing for survival at the top. She gasped a little as she tried to catch her breath. This teacher was dramatic…She blinked a few times and managed to calm her heart and breathing. She swallowed and tried to fix herself, making an effort to not look like she just ran a junior marathon around the school.

The boy in the room was her age; he was taller than her by quite a bit however judging from his legs. He was leaning back in his seat so she decided to sit on this side of the room so as not to disturb him. Her violet eyes met his blue ones only for a moment before she looked down. He was a higher on the totem pole student than she was. Heck she was the one known as Jack of all failures. The more hurtful one was failure of all Meiryos.

She was terrible at studying, terrible at sports, had yet to perform even a basic jutsu done have decently, and her family was not well off or had social standing, no clan backing or even a union. She showed zero promise and while the teachers were encouraging, even Mei could see the concern…It was like she was a square desperate to go through and be with the other circles…even if this was true…she would fit. She just could not figure it out yet.

She did not look back at the black haired boy…she was nervous being alone in a room with him…teachers were a safety beacon for Mei…kids had to be good around them. Here she felt she was at his mercy and from his lean build she imagined he was quite good at this whole shinobi thing. She reached into her back and pulled out the large red velvet beauty. The smell calmed her…she had three minutes. Three glorious minutes to relax. She breathed in and took bite of cake…quickly putting it away and just letting it sit in her mouth as she physically relaxed. The taste…

She melted away, not thinking of anything and totally off guard.

Yen
ASP
Deaths
OOC Rank
A Rank
Shin raced down the hall towards the classroom, grinding his teeth as he muttered a slew of profanities underneath his breath. Only a few minutes remained before the lesson started and the scrawny boy was desperate not to be tardy.

"Dammit dammit dammit dammit dammit," he cursed as he passed the door. "Wait: did I miss it? DAMMIT!"

He skidded to halt, coming to a complete stop before turning around and dashing towards the open door. But just as he was about to enter, the kanji for 'Survival' made his red eyes widen.

With only several seconds to spare, his hands flew into a flurry of zodiac signs. After the last seal was completed, Shin removed the hood to his shinobi garb, his short white hair doing little to conceal that his forehead was splitting itself wide open and revealing an eye of the demon possessing him.

Keep your eye open, Leech.

Zansatsu simply chuckled at the idea of Shin being nervous, his laughter unheard by the other students. Shin closed his own eyes and massaged the bridge of his nose as he took a seat in the back.

Aikawa Hina

Yen
ASP
Deaths
So another day of classes started. Nari slowly rose from her bed and got down from it and did her morning needs and then got dressed with a small skirt over a pair of leggings that go to her knees and a white shirt. She easily left her home, knowing she still had plenty of time for class. She didn't know what class she was going to have today, some days it was just like that, some random teacher teaching some class they are possibly not prepared for, or some type of test.

Soon after she reached the academy and headed to the designated room, she entered it and three other students were already inside yet no teacher was inside but on the board it was written "Survival" So this was going to be a survival class, either going to learn how to survive or practice survival methods, or whatever the teacher recognized as survival.

Nari took a sit in the front row and adjusted her hair, letting it fall behind the chair as she sat down, her wild and long hair covering the back of her chair and herself as well, anyone looking at her from behind would only see a big mass of hair.

Yukio

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Today was a special day for me...or at least it was meant to be. Having finally gotten a full night's rest I wasn't exactly inclined to wake up for anything, least of all my schooling. I mean my academic performance was well enough that I could afford to miss a day or two, and It wasn't like I was in any rush to become a Genin. So there was no way I was moving more than an inch today. Or so I thought, I had forgotten a major detail in the midst of my blissful daze; Namely the two very loving, deceptively strong elders at the end of the hall. My grandparents valued education above all else, so it wasn't shocking when the pair entered my room, keenly aware of my intentions. My grandmother tore the sheets from my bed with such swift and grace that the air didn't hit me until a moment after. And my grandfather, he already had me slung over his shoulder and out the front door before I could mourn my missed meal.

By the time we made it to class, students had already began filling the room. My grandfather grunted something about the importance of punctuality before throwing me off his shoulder. I tried to hold my scowl until he left, but the sight of him forcing his large frame through the doorway made it impossible not to laugh. He left without turning back.

Had I been raised by any other family, the bright floral patterns of my pajamas might've embarrassed me. But my mother was the eccentric of the family, I forgot how to be embarrassed a while ago. I picked myself up from the floor, using the teacher's desk for support. It was only after I dusted myself off that I acknowledged my peers. I tried for a big toothy smile, but I'm not at all certain how it came off.

I took a seat in the back and waited. Days as rough as this one, always ended up being special.

[Marked]

Tsuirakuya Shashu

Yen
ASP
Deaths
[OOC: Sorry about the wait, we were just waiting on our newest arrival to join in.]​
[Entered with iNPC Moritsuke "Heartless" Hidetsugu]​

It would be several minutes after the small hand struck twelve before the students would have any sign of their teacher. The sound of steel-toe boots making impact with the polished floor of the hallway would be the only warning the students would receive as to the arrival of their new instructor. The mercenary captain was fully capable of running across a gravel pit without a sound in those same boots, but today he wanted to make an impression. The heavy steps would echo through the empty hallway before coming to a stop in front of the closed door, his shadow blocking the light that seeped around the frame for a few tense seconds before he slid it aside with a clatter made all the louder by the silence of the students within.
Hidetsugu_zpsbfea5cdd.png

A small trail of smoke from the cigar sticking out the side of his mouth would follow him as he walked slowly and smoothly across the classroom to take a balanced military stance behind the teacher's desk at the front of the room. For a few minutes he would simply stare silently at each of the students in turn, the smoke forming a small cloud in the still air as he looked them over. A folder with the students' information lay on the desk before him, but he had no need for it. All the information it had to share he had already memorized a few days ago when it had been handed to him.

First: Tsutaku Sotoa. Average height and build. No known Bloodline. A natural at chakra control, favors the scythe and kunai. His face remained impassive as he noted that the boy had left his scythe at home. A mistake, but one easily rectified. At least he had brought some kunai with him. Hidetsugu shifted his gaze to the next.

Second: Hijoshikina Meiryo. Average height, slender build. No known Bloodline. No known affinities or weapon preferences. In fact, no skill in chakra manipulation at all. Inwardly Hidetsugu sighed. The girl would walk a harder road than all the rest combined, but it was not impossible. He himself was proof of that. He looked to the next.

Third: Akatora Shin. Abnormally short height, borderline average build. Known Chigokai. Favors kunai in melee as well as Water and Blood techniques in accordance with his bloodline. Suspected of multiple personality disorder/hostile possession, though has stabilized recently. Caution advised. Hide chuckled inwardly. The boy was already sporting a third eye that darted about independently of his natural pair. Crazy or possessed, boy at least has some measure of sense. He wasn't worried overmuch about the possibility of possession. Perhaps in ten years the boy could be a problem, but for now? He had fought worse. The boy didn't have near the strength or skill required to take him down, even with a demon baby riding his back. Better a stern hand now when it mattered than a knife in the back down the road. His eyes moved to the next.

Fourth: Shibiki Nari. Short height, average build. No known Bloodline. No known affinities or weapon preferences. A blank slate, so to speak. She would need to shake the notion that shinobi were something magical perhaps more than the others, but that could be dealt with. His stare settled on the last.

Fifth: Kimura Yukio. Tall height, lean build. No known Bloodine. No known affinities or weapon preferences. Another blank slate, though of a different sort. He would need some encouragement to get him going. Looking down, Hidetsugu's face would show no expression as he resisted the urge to pinch the bridge of his nose in irritation. Pajamas? Boy needs to get his damn priorities in order, or his pants are going to be the last thing he needs to worry about.

His inspection complete, Hidetsugu would take the cigar out of his mouth, bite off the hot embers, and spit them into a nearby trash bin before tucking the smokestick into the breast pocket of his heavy canvas jacket. With his hands clasped behind his back and the same measured tread he would walk around the desk to pace in front of the first row of desks.

"My name is Moritsuke Hidetsugu, known to some as 'Heartless Hidetsugu'. You." He would pause for a second to address the students. "Will address me as 'Sir', or you will keep your traps shut." He would then continue his pace, his boots echoing with the same slow, exact steps without fail. "Let me make something abundantly clear. I am not a shinobi. My rank is merely a formality given to me so that when you young-uns get uppity I can smack you right back down, and when you go running back to your mommies and daddies I can wave this wonderful little piece of paper in their faces and send em' packing." As he spoke Hidetsugu would reach into another breast pocket and pull out a folded piece of paper bearing the Raikage's official seal, showing it briefly to the students before tucking it back into the pocket. "Inside this classroom, my word is law. Outside of this classroom, my word is law. In fact, until you kiddies graduate from this academy, my word is law."

Hidetsugu would come to a stop in front of his desk, facing the students in the same military posture. "First rule: I will not abide tardiness from any student for any reason. Rain or sun, sleet or snow, you will be here. If the goddamn mountain decides to blow it's top, you will be here. If the very sun decides to fall from the sky, you will be here. If I catch any one of you late again there will be Hell To Pay.</COLOR><COLOR color="#800000">"

After a short pause and complete silence from the students he would raise his voice for the first time. "DO I MAKE MYSELF CLEAR?<i></i>"

Tsutaku Sotoa

Yen
ASP
Deaths
So I think he just bit off the cigar embers.

Pausing mid thought.

Ok This guy means business.

Sotoa thought to himself as the strict words of Hidetsugu sank in. I'm happy I didn't show up after he finished talking. Looking with his eyes back and forth from the instructor to 'Survival' on the board behind him, Sotoa lets out a quiet sigh and brings his full attention back to Hidetsugu in front of his desk, knowing already that this class is going to be one he wont forget. Not eager to keep Hidetsugu waiting for an answer the young shinobi speaks up first. "Yes! Ah sir!" Sotoa spoke up in reply, the mention of the word sir almost slipping him in the moment but keeping cool while he waits to see who might be next in replying to the instructor.

Hmm I was kinda day dreaming when they walked in, I guess all of us cut it close. At the corners of his eyes he takes a quick glance at the others in the class with him, though one able to to match a name to one of them from a previous class. The others not so much as it is his first time ever seeing these three. Bringing his attention back up front once more he waits to see what's in store for all of the students in the room.This can't be that bad. Trying to mentally preparing himself for anything Sotoa begins to take this much more serious, not wanting to be wrong.

[Mft]

Hijoshikina Meiryo

Yen
ASP
Deaths
The next person to come through the room after her was ignored by the desire to eat cake. She ate happily but failed to realize the boy with the eye. It might have said something about her ability to survive. She simply was not paying attention…her entire epicenter focused on the delicious treat in front of her. A girl entered that Meiryo noticed because she also sat in the front. She had wild long hair that garnered a few moment of Meiryo’s amazement before her desires caught her and pulled her back into another delicious fantasy. Meiryo paused after a brief moment as she watched the boy with the floral pajama’s come in. She blink and was actually rather confused. She liked them…do not get her wrong but for some reason it seemed weird that a boy would wear such an outfit.

It was not until the small clang she heard that she started to wonder. Another piece of cake out before her. After a few more moments she thought that something sounded familiar. She froze mid bite…coming out of her cake zone, her head tilted and she sudden realized she was in a classroom. She panicked. The sound of the large boots getting closer she only had one hope, her fork moving with the speed and grace she wished she did anything else in her life and with perfect unison of swallowing, the piece was gone just in time for her to quickly push the plate and fork into her backpack and close it to be sitting perfectly ready for class. She had a few crumbs on her mouth but they were not even a thought before the man who was supposed to be her teacher crossed the threshold.

He had hard lines on his face, he was focused, strong. He walked with authority and purpose. Meiryo realized this was a class she might not make it out of. She felt herself getting nervous and the cake suddenly not feeling like an excellent idea. Almost…

The man had smoke coming out from him from a cigar and Meiryo’s nose wiggled a little at the terrible smell. She has always been told that men who drink or smoke had something inside of them they wanted to kill, something that they themselves could not handle and it was the only way to pacify it. This man looked like someone who had demons. Emotional demons. Strong ones.

He surveyed the class for just a brief moment and then bit…wait did he? But…the fire of the cigar…oh my…

This was also a name she would not forget…Sir…

She felt his presence bashing down on her again and all she could think about was Gekido and Ryuujin. The strength of their existence enough to crush Mei. This man did not have the aura or the raw pressure but he commanded it, molded what was around to give way to what he needed. Presence was a tool and weapon for him and not merely himself.

Meiryo lost her voice, she lowered her eyes and when she felt she was supposed to say sir…only a small movement of her mouth and a breath would pass. Her voice was lost already and she knew nothing had even happened yet.

[MFT]

Tsuirakuya Shashu

Yen
ASP
Deaths
[OOC: Let's get this moving along shall we? Post order isn't an issue, so don't worry about that. Just make sure you're on time with your posts! If I don't see posts from the rest of you within a few days there will be....consequences =.=]

Aikawa Hina

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Nari watched as the teacher walked into the classroom, watched and heard, kind of hard not to hear him walking along the hallway. The man walked into the classroom, smoking a cigar, in a classroom, with young children, maybe he wanted to seem like the hard boiled type of person, wanting to show his dominance, trying to intimidate them to stay in line, even going so far before biting the embers of the cigar before speaking. Nari was a bit surprised with the man biting the cigar, it must have burned, she was a bit concerned about it, but she still let the man continue and he had introduced himself as Moritsuke Hidetsugu or Heartless Hidetsugu and that he meant serious business, like all about him did, yet even with him talking, Nari could only think about the embers burning his mouth.

Nari shifted in her seat, looking around to see everyone reaction, it seemed everyone was pretty much frozen in their place. Nari looked back at the Hidetsugu and slowly raised her hand. "Did it hurt?" She spoke with a pause. "Or do you like to eat fire, sir?" Nari asked with her soft tone of voice, there was not much fear in the girl, she seemed to worry about him and even began to question herself how much it hurts, if it even hurt, she almost craved to know the answer, she took her hand to her shoulder and slowly began to rub it, as the bruise that she had gotten the other day, came to life, putting a small smile on her lips.

[MFT]

Yen
ASP
Deaths
OOC Rank
A Rank
The boy grinned at the dramatic routine their sensei performed for him and the other four students. The thunderous rhythm of his footsteps as he approached and entered the classroom, the sadomasochistic method of putting out his lit cigar, even his blunt and brutal demeanor as he introduced himself: all of this Shin knew was only a ruse intended to frighten the students into being obedient.

I like this guy.

Zansatsu's laughter reverberated at the edges of his soul.

You do realize that he's putting on a show for you and your peers, right?

Shin closed his eyes and scoffed at his jinchuuriki.

Don't get me wrong: I'm not buying his bullshit, and I doubt he is either. But that's why I like him already. This show isn't for his benefit.

It's for ours.

As Hidetsugu-sensei raised his voice and asked his rhetorical question, the boy opened his red eyes and focused on his instructor, his grin subdued but still evident.

"Of course, sensei," he responded with a nod, disregarding the title Hidetsugu demanded: despite his respect for his instructor, he had no intention of ever addressing anyone--even the Raikage or his foster father--as 'sir'.

Tsuirakuya Shashu

Yen
ASP
Deaths
There was a reason for his actions in front of these young'uns, just as there was with any new group of recruits to the army. To forge a sword, one first had to know the nature of the metal they were handling. Once it's nature was known, one could decide how best to shape them. Some would be expanded, some narrowed, some tempered, and some would change entirely . The pressure he was exerting now would give him clues into each of the students so that he would know best how to shape them, how to guide them to a path that hopefully wouldn't end in a puddle of blood on some meaningless battlefield. It was a tactic used by drill instructors the world over, for better or worse, because it worked. These kids were his purpose now, something he took pride in. He wanted the best for them, regardless of whether or not they'd have a good impression of him at the end of it. At the very least they'd have some old Academy stories to share around the campfire when it was all said and done. He could live with that.

Harshness. There'd be time for encouragement later, for now these kids needed to know he meant business. And that meant kicking dirt on any potential firestarters before they gave the more impressionable ones any ideas.

There was a shocked silence following his outburst, and the reactions from the students confirmed his assumptions nearly to a T. Tsutaku will catch on pretty quickly on his own. Shibiki is still innocent, it'll take a bit of a shock to get her focused and serious. Hijoshikina is soft and needs direction. I've got my work cut out for me there. Akatora will be a bit tougher, I'll need his respect before I can really get through. Kimura though... The mercenary captain bowed his head and let out a chuckle, grinning a bit too widely to be reassuring to the students, shaking his head as if he had heard a particularly good joke. I do love it when the young'uns make it easy on me.

For now he ignored Shin's small display of rebellion and Nari's question. The soft sounds of slumber coming from the back of the class however, that he would deal with now. "Second rule: While you're in my domain you will give me your undivided attention. That means no books, no notes, no talking, and most of all..." Hidetsugu dashed forward in a blur of motion to grab the dozing Yukio by the scruff of his shirt and throw him bodily out of the classroom, bellowing "NO SLEEPING!" as the boy flew out the door and over the railing that separated the hallway from the courtyard. If the tossing and yelling didn't jolt him awake, the subsequent impact with the ground certainly would. Hidetsugu then strode back across the room to stare witheringly at the boy from the doorframe before spitting over the railing (making sure not to actually hit the boy) and slamming the door shut. He then paced back behind the desk. to address the students once again. "You're here to learn, not waste my time. Should you choose to do so, you'll find yourselves flat on your asses like Kimura there. Understood? Goooooood."

"Now, onto the reason you kiddies are here today." He gestured with the back of his hand to the red characters on the board. "Survival. Survival means many things to many people. Ask any number of people on the street what 'Survival' is, and they're liable to each give you a different answer. So to start us off, each of you kiddies is going to explain what survival means to you. Speak up."
[OOC: Sorry about the delay, I was hoping Yukio would respond to the PM I sent him, but as it has been a week since I shall continue on without him.]
[Kimura Yukio has failed this class due to inactivity.]​

Yen
ASP
Deaths
OOC Rank
A Rank
Shin watched silently as Hidetsugu-sensei tossed one of the students out the window, his grin widening as the spectacle unfolded.

I'm liking this guy more every second.

That doesn't surprise me in the least.

What the hell is that supposed to mean, Leech!?

I know you: you're drawn to violence just as much as I am.

Shin's grin vanished completely as he closed his eyes and clenched his teeth and fists before relaxing.

I am nothing like you, you son of a bitch! Hidetsugu-sensei has earned my respect as someone who will help others who are willing to help themselves, not as someone who just tossed a child outside on the ground!

Zansatsu's chuckle reverberated through his soul once more, sending furious shivers down the boy's spine.

You know I'm right.

Before Shin could continue defying the demon sealed within himself, Hidetsugu-sensei asked the remaining students what survival meant to them.

"Survival . . . " Shin began as he recalled his life before entering Kumogakure, a more solemn expression replacing his agitated one. "Sensei, survival is fighting off wild dogs for scraps just to eat. Survival is sucking puddles up off the street just to drink. Survival is constantly moving about just because the weather outside could kill ya. Survival is living to see tomorrow at any cost!"

Shin closed as his eyes and breathed deeply as he waited for the others to reply themselves.

Tsutaku Sotoa

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Unable to take his eyes off the direction the new and departed classmate flew, Sotoa sits there in awe with a look of pure disbelief on his face. Is..Is he dead..? He thought leaning forward as he sat up out his seat a bit more while Shin gave his answer, just to get a better look of that students trajectory. I never want to wake up like that. While doing so he then snaps out of it and tries to find the words for what Hidetsugu asked, taking his seat once more composing himself. "Survival is taking care of yourself and if so, others, no matter the situation. Making sure you have what you need to keep going. Sir." He says calmly finishing his sentence, taking one last glance toward that door then bringing his attention back to the instructor though that flying student will be in the back of his mind.

I think i'll ask my parents later on if they've seen that or worse happen back when they were still in the academy. I'm sure they had to witness a few horror stories or class pranks. Heh, they probably were the pranksters. Well if I survive today i'll ask them, till then I need to stay on track and get through this class. Hmm or else he might show us how to survive off embers somehow. His mind wanders shortly as class picks up already and he listens for the next student to follow up with an answer.

[MFT]

Aikawa Hina

Yen
ASP
Deaths
What does survival mean..survival means a lot of things for many people, but what did it meant to Nari, so far for her surviving had been taking the daily beatings from her family and hiding them from the outside world, putting on a mask and going around not being noticed, hiding between the crowds, merging into them, becoming just one of the blank unknown faces in the mist of the confusion, that was what survival means for me.
I looked at the teacher Hidetsugu and I slowly raised my voice. "Survival...survival means to blend in....to ignore the pain and be one with everything else, it is to live and try to stay alive." I said as I looked at the man, feeling the bruises pulsating on my shoulder, it hurt but it felt so good, it means I am alive, it means I am surviving.

Tsuirakuya Shashu

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Hidetsugu eyed each student in turn as he took in their answers. They weren't where they needed to be yet, but no one ever truly was. Their hearts were in the right place, or close to it, and he could work with that. He nodded silently to himself while he absently grabbed Meiryo by the collar and flung her bodily out the window in the same direction as Yukio. The girl barely reacted as she too skidded to a stop on the cold ground.

Inwardly he sighed. The life of a chakra-less Shinobi was bound to be a tough one, dangerous even, and he had wanted to give her the benefit of experience from one who had walked a similar path...but there wasn't much he could do for the girl if she was intimidated to the point of speechlessness by this much alone. She would be better off living a normal life, after all. Perhaps the shock would help her realize that.

Resuming his stance at the front of the class, he would give his attention back to the students who had had the wits about them to answer. "Aye, you have the right of it. No matter how you go about it, survival always comes down to one thing: Doing whatever it takes to stay alive. Some people like to put fancy titles on it and dress it up with fancy words, but it is what it is. Staying alive...at any cost." He eyed each student in turn as he said the last, lingering for a second longer on Shin's face. The red eye that darted about the room met his for a moment, staring Hidetsugu down as if to let him know that it cared very little for much of anything he had to say before moving on. The captain payed it little mind, and began to pace once more.

"Many people will tell you it is your duty to obey any order your village gives you, even if it costs you your life. While that may be true, most people wrongly take that to mean that dying in the course of completing a mission is to be expected, anticipated even."

He paused for effect, turning his eye towards the students. "It's not." He said simply, then continued pacing.

"Many people will also tell you what an honor it is to give your life for your village, that you should be glad to die in the defense of your country. This is also false."

The captain stopped again, managing to flawlessly step into the exact same position he had held at the front of the class before. The perfect, measured steps were no accident, no absent or subconscious effort. Like his words, they were meant to drive home that this was a serious matter. Life and death, if one would. And he did, of course. He very much did.

"There are a great many people who enter this profession with the idea that honor and glory are the end goal, some sort of trophy to be sought after even at the cost of your life. I was one once, but many years and many more battles have taught me that only one thing should be at the forefront of your mind when you enter a battle: Survival."

Survival. He said it like a holy word, as if the mere mention of it alone would stave off death itself. "Those who enter a battle seeking glory at any cost are likely to find it. Those who simply enter a battle seeking to come out of it alive are likewise more likely to do so. Regardless of what others tell you, you are not tools to be thrown away after your task is fulfilled. Your actions should reflect that."

He relaxed his posture slightly and gestured towards the students. "Now, with that in mind, I want each of you to give me an example of a mission in which it would be permissible for you to die."
[OOC: Sorry for the wait guys. As Nari and Shin know, I've been busy moving and dealing with family issues lately, so I haven't had much time to post. Things should pick up now :)]
[Hijoshikina Meiryo has failed this class due to inactivity]​

Aikawa Hina

Yen
ASP
Deaths
So we are being asked when it is good to being sent to die, what an awkward question, we are never suppose to be sent to our deaths, death is something we will get used to it, we will it will eventually come to us and that it is always a risk, but it shouldn't be a goal, it just shouldn't. I looked at him, I didn't know how to answer to him, was he being ironic or sarcastic with that question, was he really asking us how we would give our lives for?

I raised my hand, still clenching my shoulder. "We would never have the permission to die in a mission, we may not be tools, but we are still people, we can think and we have feelings, we know better then to be sent to die." and with that I sat down, I may not know what he is asking but I hope that is one of the answers.

[MFT]

Tsutaku Sotoa

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Sotoa thought on the question for a moment after the female student finished her statement, unsure on what he should say in reply but feeling almost rushed as he didn't want to be the next student launched out the room. He began thinking about some of the reasons that would require such a major sacrifice from the shinobi of cloud. Pondering on the number of possible scenarios that could happen in a mission or in the village Sotoa stumbles on a few justifications of the subject. Giving his answer deep thought he proceeds with his response. "I suppose when it comes to protecting clouds vital information and security or the life another fellow shinobi then the sacrifice is necessary." He spoke out as he was still seated, giving his honest opinion on the subject. Knowing that there isn't exactly that much of a right or wrong response but he feels a bit comfortable with his answer this time.

Hmm I wonder if they landed on something soft. Maybe i'll check after class to see if they lived. He thought to himself looking toward the window as he wanted to meet some of his new classmates but deciding it would come at another time. Sotoa leans back in his seat slightly, knowing the next student would say something soon but taking this brief moment to stretch his back and not be so tense. So far it's going well but I need to make sure I don't delay for too long next time, I felt like I could have been next on his list.

[MFT]

Tsuirakuya Shashu

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Before the students could even think their answers all the way through Shin interrupted the silence to ask if he could use the bathroom. Hidetsugu shot him a withering glare for second before jerking his head towards the door and pulling out the half-burnt cigar and a match. "Make it quick boy, we don't have all day." He would mutter around the cigar, puffing lightly to ensure the flame caught and tossing the spent match over his shoulder into the wastebasket.

Several minutes would pass as he waited, leaning against the desk and contemplating the ceiling while the remaining two students spent the time contemplating the question. He could understand the confusion: it was a trick question after all, like the one before it. There was only one answer, but at the same time nearly any answer would do. It was the intent that counted here, the thought processes behind the answers that he was looking for, and the furrowed told him they were giving the question the consideration it was due.

Not that they know that. Let 'em sweat it out, keeps the mind sharp. He chuckled inwardly as he gave the appearance of outward agitation, tapping his foot impatiently and checking his timepiece every twenty seconds on the dot. After five minutes exactly he repeated his cigar biting performance and expelled the last of the smoke from his lungs before turning back towards the students. "Alright, continuing on. Give me what you've got." No point in waiting for the brat if he's not comin' back.

Starting off, Hidetsugu was pleasantly surprised. Nari's answer carried more weight behind it than he expected, it seemed his earlier words had struck a chord within her. That was good, every soldier needed steel inside them to draw upon when worst came to worst, and part of his initial worry with Nari was that he would have to put in extra effort to draw that out. He nodded at her and looked to Sotoa.

The boy's answer on the other hand was dead on with his expectations. Sotoa had the makings of a solid and reliable Shinobi. Perhaps not bound to extravagant and legendary feats, but he would do his village proud in his own way. And 'sides, one never truly knows with the unassuming ones. Sometimes it just takes the right spark...

He nodded once more in acceptance before responding. "Both are acceptable answers. When it comes to such a thing as giving one's life, first and foremost the decision lies with the one who has to die. Whether you choose to defer that choice to someone else is your prerogative, but ultimately it is your decision. Thus, any mission is permissible for you to die if you so choose, and no mission is permissible if you do not. Remember that survival is not a matter of honor or glory, but of living and dying. At the end of the day you still only have one life to give. You must think carefully before deciding whether or not your death is worth more than your life, for the living can always make amends. The dead cannot."

Once again looking at his timepiece, Hidetsugu tsked. "I had hoped to cover more, but the antics of your classmates have forced me to cut this short. Believe me when I say that they and I are going to have a nice, long chat about that after class. I have a few minutes now if you have any questions, otherwise class is dismissed."
[OOC: Class is over, you can stick around if you wish to talk to Hidetsugu or leave the topic. Remember to post here]
[Tsutaku Sotoa and Shibiki Nari both pass. Akatora Shin fails due to inactivity]​

Current Ninpocho Chronicles Time:

Back