Ninpocho Chronicles

Ninpocho Chronicles is a fantasy-ish setting storyline, set in an alternate universe World of Ninjas, where the Naruto and Boruto series take place. This means that none of the canon characters exists, or existed here.

Each ninja starts from the bottom and start their training as an Academy Student. From there they develop abilities akin to that of demigods as they grow in age and experience.

Along the way they gain new friends (or enemies), take on jobs and complete contracts and missions for their respective villages where their training and skill will be tested to their limits.

The sky is the limit as the blank page you see before you can be filled with countless of adventures with your character in the game.

This is Ninpocho Chronicles.

Current Ninpocho Chronicles Time:

Surviving combat and killing [class]

Takaki Saeko

Yen
ASP
Deaths
This is a class open to the general public, and targeted especially at academy students, ANBU in Training, and Mednin in Training. Students will receive class credit, stats, and yen. AiT and MiT will receive promotion credit. Anyone else will have an interesting experience. I forsee only a few rounds of actual posting, but there will be a ton of material included.

Some of you may remember I did an older class on the psychology of killing. Much of the material in that class was based on material written by LTC (ret) Dave Grossman, particularly from his book On Killing: The psychological cost of learning to kill in war and society. This class is an updated and condensed version the former class with new material from LTC Grossman's book On Combat: The psychology and physiology of deadly combat in war and in peace. Both are are fabulous resources to read independently and will help the lay reader as well as the clinical professional understand a lot about PTSD and other forms of conflict-associated psychological trauma.

Nara-NPC_zpsb0a5a210.jpg

cloud_medninchief_zps5aa33632.gif

Another year. Another year meant more students given their promotion paperwork and sent out wide-eyed and innocent into a world perpetually at its own throat. Nara Bii-Ryu of the medical corps was fifty-five and had seen enough of the world to know that as he sipped his coffee, someone out there was getting his head blown off on camera to make some some militant group's propaganda video which would go toward recruiting more angry, jobless young men to the militants' cause so they could in turn get their guts torn out by government thugs who would also level some scrubby village and create a lot more angry, jobless young men to take up arms again and repeat the cycle.

Bii-Ryu waited for students to resentfully arrive for another "boring lecture" that in their minds was holding them up from graduation and being able to be ship out to warzones across the world so they too could empty their weapons into poor people, piss their pants, lose their legs or their lives, and then come back to Cloud as broken messes to raise another generation of young academy students to go back into the blender again.

He used to care if the students were paying attention to this particular lecture. The lessons learned might possibly save not only their lives, but also their sanity. But even the ones who listened still came back broken in ways too subtle to realize and shattered wholly in solitude. What was the point, he wondered? Still, he'd continue to give this lecture in the hope that some day, someone might come back reparable. It hadn't happened yet.

Aoki Maiko

Yen
ASP
Deaths
[Entering with Pc and dNPC, Adachi Emiko]
dCeu_J3AyK2rL51bLtlNCR-aAlIKEED-9ZLpiYflYHY=w355-h222-p-no

"Emiko! Come on, hurry up already!"Maiko shouted, from the front door. She had been up earlier than usual, excited to get to go to their next class. She was tired of doing nothing.

"Oh shut up. It's too early, and how are you so perky?"Emiko replied, and walked from her small bedroom, to the door, dressed in her usual attire, as was Maiko. She brushed her dark colored hair away from her face and sighed. Her eyes found her friends odd colored ones, and they shared a laugh, then left to the academy.

"Well, It is our last class before we can take that exam. That, and I'm interested in what this Sensei might teach us."Maiko replied, as they walked. When they arrived at their destination, they began to search for their class.

Emiko stopped at a door, and peeked in, to see it virtually empty, besides the Sensei. "Maiko, I think I found it." She called to her friend, who had kept on walking. Maiko stopped, turned, and ran back, to practially push Emiko through the door. They said a quick, "Hello" to the Sensei in unison and found a seat.

Sakaki Kensei

Yen
ASP
Deaths
As Kensei wondered the hall he stopped to talk to a friendly janitor he had talked to a few times before. The older man told him of a class that was going to start soon and where to find it. Kensei thanked him and started to head that way. He was reading a medical book as he walked through the hall. He worried that he didn't smell or anything, but he doubted. He had taken certain precautions after his last class got out. The class was a great learning experience for him. It showed that he needed to start taking this ninja thing a lot more seriously on the physical side of things. He is as mentally sharp as they come, but he realized that he wouldn't last a minute on the battlefield if he can't defend himself thanks to the class. Kensei neared the classroom and closed his book. The last time he entered a class, he had forgotten to introduce himself to the teacher. He wasn't going to make the same mistake twice in one day. So after this brief moment to collect his thoughts he entered the room. He bowed to the teacher, a male in his early to mid fifty's.

"Hello, I'm Sakaki Kensei."

Kensei then found a place to sit in the front of the room. He pulled the medical book back out and began to read. He took noticed of the two girls who had came in before him and flashed them a quick little friendly smile. He was generally shy around other people, but lately he was trying to change that. He went back to reading while they waited for others to join the class.

[Topic Entered]

Kazu

Yen
ASP
Deaths
OOC Rank
S-Rank
Ko was excited. This was his very first real class at the Academy, beyond the usual hum-drum beat of the normal everyday classes. It was listed as being a class open to all Academy Students on the bulletin board in the main hall, so Ko decided that he would just show up and hope for the best. He'd read from the flyer about it that it had something to do with Survival and Killing, but that was pretty vague and a little dark. Hopefully the class wasn't all doom and gloom—whatever it was, he was still excited to go. Upon arriving, it would appear that he had not been the first to show up, having been outpaced by two girls and one boy. A couple of things about this small group caught his eye—one of the girls seemed to have heterochromia, and the boy was enraptured in a book that, judging from the title, seemed to be involving medicine and the healing arts in general—but he figured that he'd save these little interesting pieces of information for the moment. Approaching the teacher, Ko gave him a slight bow of the head to acknowledge him as the superior. He then took a seat, somewhere in the middle between the two girls and the guy who looked to be pretty lost in his book.

Ko decided to introduce himself to the ladies first. He gave them both a smile, then spoke in a soft, but not overly quiet, voice. "Hey, nice to meet you two! My name's Kotsuko, but you can both call me Ko." He waited for a moment to see if they'd introduce themselves as well, or whether they'd just look at him and exclaim loudly that he had cooties or something. Assuming they introduced themselves too, he would try to keep the conversation rolling. "This is my first class. Not exactly sure what to expect, but I hope it'll be good." He turned to the boy who seemed to be lost in his book and tried to drag him into the conversation too. "What about you, guy? Have you taken any of these academy classes before?" He was hoping to make some friends, if not forever at least for this class. There was nothing worse than working with people that hated or even slightly disliked you.

Yoshida Tesshou

Yen
ASP
Deaths
[col]
[Enter Tesshou]

Quite frankly, Tesshou didn't see the point in another combat lesson. He had been raised on combat lessons for a majority of his childhood, and nothing at the academy seemed to hold a candle to that prior training. What caught his attention was that this particular class was not restricted to Academy Students. As perceptive as he was, the notion that ANBU in-training and even Medics could use the lecture's information meant it was surely worth more than another superficial "Intro to Breaking Legs" course. So he decided to give it a shot.

Besides, he wanted to get on his way to graduating already. How could he make his father proud if he stayed a student forever? Rather than an obstacle, he saw the lecture as an opportunity. But the anticipation was far from evident. There wasn't any decoration of misery on his face, either. If one were to glance into those amber hues as Tesshou entered the room, they'd only detect the utmost indifference. He found it hard to express his emotions visually, as he still had not remembered how to smile quite yet. Perhaps the lesson would also help him get over his trauma.

"...Yoshida Tesshou." He bowed politely with the blunt introduction and took his seat in the second row. He didn't want to be a delinquent and sit too far in the back, but he wasn't quite interested in the social commitment of a front-row learner.​
|[/col]

Yen
ASP
Deaths
There was nothing quite like a good class on the psychological impacts of wasting some poor fools, who more than likely ultimately had no wish to be in a situation where could be cut down, but hey that's life in this crazy world and the class she found herself attending was supposedly going to help with the aftereffects of murdering people all willy-nilly. It was a strange world she found herself living in, where the systematic and calculated killing of others who didn't share a similar head-band or come from the same area of your family was touted as a good thing. Really it was nothing short of miraculous that most Shinobi' didn't have tears tattooed on their cheeks, though as ScHoolBoy Q once said, 'Real Shinobi don't tattoo their tears.' well he said something like that anyway.

...Anyway...

As with 99% of the other Academy students she had never engaged in combat where the other participant had died, worst she had ever done was throw some sand into a guy's eyes before accidentally breaking his leg, and she felt a bit of survivors guilt after that minor exchange. Of course, being the daughter of a rather infamous Yakuza her family was prone to violent outbursts, she remembered a particularly nasty situation in which her second eldest brother had beaten some poor sod with a welding hammer over 15 yen. For the life of her she couldn't remember if the man survived, though it seemed likely as the village authorities didn't come and give the family a stern talking to after the fact. Something, which she assumed, they did after any rather unfortunate situation occurred due to the Wakahisa.

She promptly made her way into the classroom, ignoring the rather overt formalities that she found the others committing to, exchanging names and all that good stuff. She was sure her teacher would know her by her appearance, not many other girls looked like she did, or so she thought. Speaking of her appearance the young Kunoichi seemed to be a bit more unkempt than usual on this particular day, her hair sticking up at various points and her clothes quite wrinkled. It was evident that she had rolled from bed only a few minutes before. Immediately she made her way toward the back of the class without engaging any of her other classmates. The class was probably going to be as easy as all the others she had completed beforehand, little to no effort required here.

Takaki Saeko

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Nara-NPC_zpsb0a5a210.jpg

Six students, and the senior provosts hadn't even started roaming the academy halls with whips in hands. Perhaps there was some hope after all for the newest generation of shinobi. Unlike their predecessors, they perhaps understood the value of knowledge; the simple fact that it took an education to realize that one needed an education in the first place. Bii-Ryu scanned the students' faces, finding that none of them were especially familiar. Some were clearly more experienced in drill and identified themselves politely, whereas others did not. One seemed more interested in trying to flirt with the two stylish girls sitting next to each other than actually listening.

"Alright, that's enough to start with," Bii-Ryu said. "First of all, thank you for coming to this class. And in the future, you will be thanking yourselves when the time comes. Some of you may already find your minds wandering at the very thought of the subject material of this lecture. After all, in this academy you are trained to be experts in the application of force. Whether that force is as physical as swinging a sword or firing a bolter, or whether it is as subtle as conducting an economic analysis to undermine the stability of a rival nation, your entire careers will center around this one fact. And if you are a member of a clan, you will have been indoctrinated from birth to think of yourselves as a living weapon to be wielded for the glory of your clan and the village, in that order.

"All of you have an expectation that when your day comes to enter battle, that it will be glorious. It may not be easy, but it will be fun. You'll lay waste to your enemies, and if you're lucky, look like a total badass while doing so. When you come back to your village, you'll be a hero and take pride in what you did for the rest of your life. You'll always be a sharp sword of the village.

"Yet if you spend a day a day with me rounding on the inpatient wards at the village hospital, you will see a great disconnect between that expectation and reality. During the Lightning Country civil war five years ago, when ninety percent of our active combat forces were on active deployment around the nation's hotspots, we had more psychiatric casualties come flooding back to the wards than the entire body count of the Waterfall Wars of the Dawnbringer era. We had trained, battle-ready shinobi, Lightning Royal Marines, Amy officers, and even some enemy combatants whose lives were completely wrecked by a pervasive irrational, uncontrollable fear. They were never the same again.

"When violence happens, it can devastate us. Shatter us, no matter our background. Most of us approach every strange dog we meet with an expectation that it might bite. Likewise, most of us expect snakes to strike. That's what they do. But we fundamentally do not expect that one of the millions of human beings we interact with in an average lifetime will try to kill us. We simply cannot lead our lives expecting that every human we meet might try to kill us. so when someone does try to kill us, it is simply not right, and, if we are not careful can destroy us.

"In the medical profession, we have a guiding book on the treatment of psychological and psychiatric conditions, called the DSM. It specifically states that when the causal factor of a stressor is human in nature, the degree of trauma sustained in usually more severe and long-lasting. Conversely, the DSM states that post-traumatic stress disorder, or PTSD, is comparably rare and mild in response to things like natural disasters or traffic accidents. In other words, when it is another human being who causes our fear, pain, and suffering, it shatters, destroys, and devastates us.

"Unchecked, extreme stress is an emotional and physical carnivore. It chews hungrily on so many of us in the military world with its sharp fangs, and does so silently in every corner of our lives. It affects job performance, relationships, and health. The stress of combat debilitates far more warriors than are killed in direct hostile action. And it is in this toxic, corrosive, destructive domain that we ask our shinobi and soldiers to live and die. This is the realm of combat.

"In our profession, we are compelled to move toward this domain where other human beings will try to hurt or kill us, and so it is vital that we understand this realm and understand combat. Every other sane, rational creature on this earth flees from the sounds of fighting. We cannot."

Bii-Ryu paused. Time to see who was already asleep.

"On a personal note, for those of you who do not know me, my name is Nara Bii-Ryu. I am a medical chief shinobi and have served the village for over thirty five years in the Main and Medical branches. I have been trained in land and undersea warfare and have been deployed to conflicts in the Fire, Wind, and Water countries, and Lightning colonial territories, and participated in the defense of Cloud during the Demon Invasion. I have also killed in combat. However, for the majority of this lecture I have chosen to focus on the multitude of stories, testimony, and accounts of the thousands of shinobi and non-shinobi soldiers I have treated over the years, who were kind enough to entrust me with their deepest secrets and painful experiences. They as well as I hope that the lessons learned from these experiences can help future generations of shinobi.

"So before I begin the main lecture, I would like to ask of the participants here: Who among you has been in actual violent combat? I don't mean training in the academy, or running from village law enforcement, or even a back-alley fight with fists and clubs. I mean a fight where you and your enemy were attempting to end each others' lives. And if so, have you ever killed another human being? Keep in mind that this is not intended as a gauge of ‘manhood’ or any similar ridiculousness. Statistically, none of you should actually respond yes.”

Kashino Yuu

Yen
ASP
Deaths
OOC Rank
S-Rank
"Surviving Combat and Killing? I don't know about this." Yuu muttered as he stared at the sign outside of the classroom. He was just arrived at Aurora Eruditio as a new Academy Student and being impatient to wait for someone to greet and guide him around the academy, he decided to attend a class so he can get a feel for this place. At first, he has no interest at becoming a ninja and preferred a normal life playing with his siblings everyday. However, after an incident that almost cost his sibling's life, Yuu realized that the world he is living might be too dangerous for him or his family to survive. And with his savior's suggestion, his decision on becoming a ninja was sealed.

At first, he was very reluctant to become one, but for his family's sake, he knew he had to do this. However, since that incident was the only thing he first experienced the dangers, he knew that he need to learn about survival and enduring the mental trauma of being a ninja that is about to unfold in his life. But just as he was about to enter the classroom, he heard someone behind the door, which he guessed that the class might started already. Upon he heard this, he knew he need to enter the class right now as he opened the door and looked around, which he saw six students and somehow, the instructor for this class. "Uh, am I late?"

Takaki Saeko

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Moving along so we can all complete class. The holidays are a busy time for everyone. Don't worry about class credit if you can't post often. A few rounds to go.

Nara-NPC_zpsb0a5a210.jpg

A reticent group, and probably rightly so. There were no older shinobi in the classroom this time, so he expected either silence or a chorus of "no." Bii-Ryu nodded to the late arrival and motioned for the student to take a seat. Better late than never, in his opinion.

"Very well, it looks like none of you have been engaged in that level of conflict in your lives. This is the state in which most individuals, even in a Neo-Feudal state like Lightning Country, live out the entirety of their lives. The probability of being a victim of violent crime, warfare, or terrorism depends highly on your environment, of course, but in a developed, relatively powerful nation with good political stability that probability is rather low. That being said, you are all shinobi to be, which means that at some point, you will be in a fight. You will kill, or be killed.

"In this lecture I intend to cover the following subjects: First, the existence of a powerful, innate human resistance toward killing one’s own species, and the psychological mechanisms that have been developed by armed forces over centuries to overcome that resistance. Second, what it feels like to kill, a set of standard response stages to killing in combat, and the psychological price of killing. And third, what steps you can take in a violent situation to maximize your chance of physical and mental survival even in the face of a force-mismatch situation."

Bii-Ryu stepped behind an overhead projector and started to flip transparent slides onto the screen.

"Our first step in the study of killing is to understand the existence, extent, and nature of the average human’s resistance to killing his fellow human. It has always been assumed that the average soldier, and I use soldier as a broad term which includes shinobi, would kill in combat simply because his country and his leaders had told him to do so, and because it was essential to defend his own life and the life of his friends. When the point came that he didn’t kill, it was assumed that he panicked and ran.

“In the aftermath of the Waterfall Wars over fifty years ago, an Imperial Army Brigadier General by the name of S. L. A. Marusha asked these average soldiers what it was they did in battle. His singularly unexpected discovery was that, of ever hundred men along the line of fire during a period of an encounter, an average of only 15 to 20 ‘would take any part with their weapons.’ This was consistently true ‘whether the action was spread over a day, or two days or three.’

“General Marusha was an Imperial Army historian and had a team of historians working for him, and they conducted interviews with Imperial Army and Navy troops immediately after they had been in close combat with enemy troops. The results were consistently the same: only 15 to 20 percent of the Imperial soldiers in combat during the Waterfall Wars would fire at the enemy. Those who would not fire did not run or hide (in many cases they were willing to risk greater danger to rescue comrades, get ammunition, or run messages), but they simply would not fire their weapons at the enemy, even when faced with repeated waves of infantry charges.

“The question is why. Why did these men fail to fire? The answer is that there exists in most men and women an intense resistance to killing their fellow man. A resistance so strong that in many circumstances, soldiers on the battlefield will die before they can overcome it.

“To some, this makes obvious sense. Many people say ‘I would never kill someone’ or ‘I could never bring myself to do it.’ But they are wrong. With proper conditioning and proper circumstances, it appears that almost anyone can and will kill. Others might say ‘any man will kill in combat when he is faced with someone who is trying to kill him.’ And they would be even more wrong, for we have observed that throughout history the majority of men on the battlefield would not attempt to kill the enemy, even to save their own lives or the lives of their friends.”
Then I cautiously raised the upper half of my body into the tunnel until I was lying flat on my stomach. When I felt comfortable, I placed my Santaru & Wesuton .38 caliber snub-nosed handbolter (sent to me by my father for tunnel work) beside the flashlight and switched on the light, illuminating the tunnel.

There, not more than three meters away, sat a Marsh soldier eating a handful of rice from a pouch on his lap. We looked at each other for what seemed to be an eternity, but in fact was probably only a few seconds.

Maybe it was the surprise of actually finding someone else there, or maybe it was just the absolute innocence of the situation, but neither one of us reacted.

After a moment, he put his pouch of rice on the floor of the tunnel beside him, turned his back to me and slowly started crawling away. I, in turn, switched off my flashlight, before slipping back into the lower tunnel and making my way back to the entrance. About 20 minutes later, we received word that another squad had killed a Marsh soldier emerging from a tunnel 500 meters away.

I never doubted who that soldier was. To this day, I firmly believe that grunt and I could have ended the war sooner over a beer in Port Cirrus than Kagetsu Kiyo ever could by attending the peace talks.

-Musashi Jou, Genin.

“The ‘fight or flight’ model has often been used to explain some of the stresses of combat. However, the fight or flight model is an appropriate set of choices for any creature faced with danger other than that which comes from its own species. When we examine the responses of creatures confronted with aggression from their own species, the set of options expands to include posturing and submission.

“The first decision point in an intraspecies conflict usually involves the decision between fleeing or posturing. A threatened baboon or rooster who elects to stand its ground does not respond to aggression from one of his own kind by leaping instantly to the enemy’s throat. Instead, both creatures instinctively go through a series of posturing actions that, while intimidating, are almost always harmless. These actions are designed to convince an opponent that the posturer is a dangerous and frightening adversary.

“When the posturer has failed to dissuade an intraspecies opponent, the options then become fight, flight, or submission. And when the fight option is utilized, it is almost never to the death. Piranhas and rattlesnakes will bite almost anything, but among themselves piranhas fight with raps of their tails, and rattlesnakes wrestle. Somewhere during the course of such highly constrained and nonlethal fights, one of these intraspecies combatants will usually become daunted by the ferocity and prowess of its opponent, and its only options become submission or flight. Submission is a surprisingly common response, usually taking the form of fawning and exposing some vulnerable portion of anatomy to the victor, in the instinctive knowledge that the opponent will not kill or further harm one of its own kind once it has surrendered. The posturing, mock battle, and submission process is vital to the survival of the species. It prevents needless deaths and ensures that a young male will live through early confrontations when his opponents are bigger and better prepared. Having been outpostured by his opponent, he can then submit and live to mate, passing on his genes in later years.

“There is a clear distinction between actual violence and posturing. This is true in Port Cirrus street gangs, it is true in ‘so-called primitive tribesman and warriors,’ and it is true in almost any culture in the world. All have the same ‘patterns of aggression’ and all have ‘very orchestrated, highly ritualized’ patterns of posturing, mock battle, and submission. These rituals restrain and focus the violence on relatively harmless posturing and display. What is created is a ‘perfect illusion of violence.’ Aggression, yes. Competitiveness, yes. But only a tiny level of actual violence. ‘There is,’ concludes Imperial Historian Takagi Masao, ‘the occasional psychopath who really wants to slice people open,’ but most of the participants are really interested in ‘status, display, profit, and damage limitation.’ For the kids who have fought in close combat throughout history (and it is children whom most societies traditionally send off to do their fighting), killing the enemy is the very least of their intentions. In war, as in gang warfare, posturing is the name of the game.

“Firing a bolter or utilizing a loud or disruptive jutsu clearly fills the deep-seated need to posture, and it even meets the requirements of being relatively harmless when we consider the consistent historical occurrences of firing over the enemy’s head, and the remarkable ineffectiveness of such fire. This can be seen in Takagi Masao’s account of an almost bloodless nighttime firefight during the Civil War in BS ’01. ‘It seems strange,’ wrote Takagi, ‘that a company of men can fire volley after volley at a like number of men at not over a distance of fifteen steps and not cause a single casualty. Yet such was the facts in this instance.’ Now, arbalestillery fire, is an entirely different matter, sometimes accounting for more than 50 percent of the casualties on battlefields, and long-range, wide-area jutsu has consistently accounted for the majority of shinobi combat casualities for the last hundred years. This is largely due to group processes at work, which I will address in detail later.

“In addition, missing a target does not necessarily involve firing obviously high, and two decades of experience on the academy bolter range have taught me that a soldier must fire unusually high for it to be obvious to an observer. In other words, the intentional miss can be a very subtle form of disobedience. An excellent example of soldiers exercising their right to miss is one ANBU’s account of going with a unit of Cloud shinobi on an ambush of a civilian river launch in Fire Country.
“I’ll never forget [Jounin-Commander] Ringo’s words as he told the entire formation: ‘If you kill a woman, you’re killing a rabid bitch! If you kill a child, you’re killing a diseased rat!’ And off we went to kill women and children.

Once again I was part of the 10 men who would actually perform the ambush. We cleared our fields of fire and settled back to await the arrival of women and children and whatever other civilian passengers there might be on this launch. Each man was alone with his thoughts. Not a word was spoken among us regarding the nature of our mission. Ringo paced back and forth nervously some yards behind us in the protection of the jungle.

...the loud throb of the powerful diesels of the [evacuation boat] preceded its arrival by a good two minutes. The signal to commence firing was given as it appeared in front of us and I watched the plasma jutsu arc over the boat and into the jungle on the opposite bank. The machine-ballista opened up, I rattled off a 20-bolt burst from my ST-15. Brass was flying as thick as jungle insects as our squad emptied their magazines. Every bolt and jutsu sailed harmlessly over the civilian craft.

When Ringo realized what was happening he came running out of the jungle cursing violently and firing his weapon at the disappearing launch. We Cloud shinobi are mean bastards and tough soldiers. But we’re not murderers. I laughed aloud in relief and pride as we packed up and prepared to move out.

-Kaguya Dashi, ANBU.

“Even more remarkable than instances of posturing, and equally indisputable, is the fact that a significant number of soldiers in combat elect to not even fire at all. In this respect their actions very much resemble the actions of those members of the animal kingdom who ‘submit’ passively to the aggression and determination of their opponent rather than fleeing, fighting, or posturing. General Marusha noted that even in situations where there were several boltermen together in position facing an advancing enemy, only one was likely to fire while the others would tend to such ‘vital’ tasks as running messages, providing ammunition, tending wounded, and spotting targets. Marusha makes it clear that in most cases the firers were aware of the large body of nonfirers around them. The inaction of these passive individuals did not seem to have a demoralizing effect on the actual firers. To the contrary, the presence of nonfirers seemed to enable the firers to keep going.

“So this all begs the question: Why Can’t Shinji Kill?

"Marusha studied this issue during the entire period of the Waterfall War, and came up with this conclusion:
It is therefore reasonable to believe that the average and healthy individual – the man or woman who can entire the mental and physical stresses of combat – still has such an inner and usually unrealized resistance towards killing a fellow human being that he will not of his own volition take life if it is possible to turn away from that responsibility. At that vital point, he becomes a conscientious objector.

“He understood, more than anyone else, the mechanics and emotions of combat. ‘I well recall,’ he said, ‘the great sense of relief that came to [Waterfall War troops] when they were passed to a quiet sector.’ And he believed that this was ‘due not so much to the realization that things were safer there as to the blessed knowledge that for a time they were not under the compulsion to take life.’ In his experience the philosophy of the Waterfall War was ‘Let ‘em go; we’ll get ‘em some other time.’

“Even after General Marusha’s revelations, the subject of nonfirers is still uncomfortable for the Lightning Country military as well as for Cloud Village leadership. When he was Vice Commander of the ANBU, Takaki Masao complained that ‘thinking back to my many years of service, I cannot remember a single official lecture or class discussion of how to assure that your men will fire.’

“So where does this resistance to killing one’s fellow man come from? Is it learned, instinctive, rational, environmental, hereditary, cultural, or social? Some combination of all of the above? No one knows for sure, but there is a hypothesis that at some gut level, each person understands that all humanity is inextricably interdependent and that to harm any part is to harm the whole. Raikage Kagetsu Kiyo the First understood this even as she consolidated Cloud Village into the potent military force it is today. ‘Every individual dispensation is one of the causes of the prosperity, success, and even survival of That which administers the universe. To break off any particle, no matter how small, from the continuous concatenation – whether of causes or of any other elements – is to injure the whole,’ she wrote. Raikage Santaru Ryuuto, one of the greatest military minds in Cloud’s history, noted that some of the men under his command in the Colony Wars near Water Country had reached a point of reflection after battle in which they ‘came to see the young Natives they had killed as allies in a bigger war of individual existence, as young men with whom they were united throughout their lives against the impersonal ‘thems’ of the world,’ and made the powerful perception that ‘in killing the grunts of Water Country, the grunts of Lightning Country had killed a part of themselves.’

“There can be no doubt that this resistance to killing one’s fellow man is there, and that it exists as a result of a powerful combination of instinctive, rational, environmental, hereditary, cultural, and social factors. It is there, it is strong, and it gives us cause to believe that there just may be hope for humankind after all.

"Are there any questions as of this point?"

Sakaki Kensei

Yen
ASP
Deaths
(Sorry for the late reply)

Kensei sat and listened to lecture, taking notes down. It was certainly true that he had never been in a life or death fight before, and he wasn't sure how he himself would handle it. He wants to become a Mednin one day, and killing is the exact opposite of what a Mednin does. Yet, he knew all along that killing was something a shinobi has to be able to do. Even a Mednin has to be able to throw away their humanity to be able to save and protect those they care about. Kensei might know and understand these simple facts, but he just couldn't imagine himself actually taking a life. It wasn't who he was yet, but now he was thankful that he came to this class today.

"I have a couple of questions. The first would be a more personal question. As a Mednin, I'm sure you've seen horrific things both on and off the battlefield. How where you able to fight your instinct to save lives and instead take them? My second question is about PTSD. How often do you see cases of it, and what seems to be the biggest contributor? Is it just combat it self, or is there something more specific that tends to cause it?"

Kensei then got ready to write down any new things the teacher had to say. He was also interested to see if any of the other student where going to ask any questions. The teacher had already spoken about PTSD, but it was something that Kensei needed to know more about.

[MFT]

Kazu

Yen
ASP
Deaths
OOC Rank
S-Rank
As a few more students filed into the class, Ko realized that the lecture was about to start. He hadn't had time to get an answer out of either the women or the other boy who was sitting near him, so instead he merely focused his attention on the lecturer. They started immediately, jumping straight into the material. The introduction was long, the subject mater was not exactly cheery, and it seemed to be the kind of lesson where the students were to sit and listen. Ko was okay with that. He enjoyed learning, though he would have preferred if this instructor would get to the point faster—he wasn't fond of waiting. Still, he listened intently to the instructor's words about how others are the primary aggressors of PTSD and other psychological issues. When asked whether he, or any of the other students had ever been in a life or death situation, Ko didn't even make a sound. It was plainly obvious that they hadn't, so the boy didn't even think it would be worth it to try and respond to the question. He merely shook his head, indicating his position in the matter.

The lecture moved on, and so they would delve deeper into the subject matter. The goal of this class, it seemed, was to introduce the students to such experiences in a classroom setting. They'd be hearing accounts of such things, which could hopefully give them an idea as to how to deal with these situations in the future. While many students might have dozed off at this point, or otherwise drifted into their daydreams, Ko would continue to watch and listen with sharp ferocity and understanding. He was absorbing the information as much as possible—it would help him later on in his career. The history lesson was a tad dull, but he still committed it to memory. The psychology of it all was fairly fascinating, so the young boy did get a bit of a kick out of that. The account from the ANBU on intentionally missing was, in short, quite profound.

This lesson was deep. There was no other way to say it. This lesson was one which applied to all of them, and it was almost certain that they would all have need for this material sometime in the future. As the teacher asked if there were any questions, Ko thought about it for a few moments. He did, actually, have a question. Raising his hand, Ko would wait for the other boy's question to be asked and answered before continuing. "Sir, what of the shinobi not apart of the common forces? Elite shinobi are tasked with much higher difficulty missions, and I'd assume many of those missions involve killing. How are they able to complete such missions, if what you're saying is true?" Of course, he was referring to the ANBU. They were known about in the village, though only so much as to know that they were the best of the best. People could guess what they did, but it was still a mystery. Presumably they took on the harder missions, the ones which required you to be extraordinarily skilled and ruthlessly loyal to the village. Ko had always been curious about them, and this lesson seemed to bring up an interesting perspective that the young boy hadn't considered before. Hopefully this teacher would have some answers for him.

Kashino Yuu

Yen
ASP
Deaths
OOC Rank
S-Rank
After he entered the class and took his seat, Yuu didn't waste any time to be distracted as his eyes and ears are focused on the lecture of this class. Although he was late for class, he did listened to that last speech before he entered the classroom, which he learned about how Posttraumatic stress disorder works.

As he continued listening, Yuu learned how the war that occurred a few years ago affected who participated it. And since it's a common subject that he even learned from his parents, Yuu was no stranger to it. He was horrified at what the Waterfall Wars did to his home and was relieved that his parents managed to survive it unscratched. Yet, he was still scared that if they didn't survive it, he and his siblings wouldn't exist right now. Then with the instructor accepting questions, Yuu decided to ask one as he raised his hand, one that is about a war might come in a near future. "Um, sir. I don't know if this is out of subject, but if a person who wanted to bring a bandit alive is forced to kill him, would there be no other options left to prevent him to kill?"

He wasn't hesitated to kill, but he didn't want to be a murderer. He just need to in case he had no options left. But, can there be any more options than this?

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Chiyoko quickly propped her feet up against a desk to her left, leaning back in her own cubby as Sensei-Ryu began his intricate speech on the future expectations of Kumogakure's future best and brightest and how there was a good chance that their psyche would be shredded, it wasn't exactly her cup of tea. However she did manage to stay awake through out it. The speech seemed to do nothing but reaffirm her expectations of future Shinobi and the mental impact of the subterfuge they committed, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and a literal plethora of other mental disorders came with the job. So, I mean, clearly it was a job that the villages should send mere children to face, right? Right? Well, whether it was right or not this was the matter of life that they had been forced into, in a way she couldn't help but feel that it was a subtle form of slavery, it wasn't like they really had a choice. They could run, but then the village would eventually find them and most likely charge them with treason, a fate that was equivalent to death, or they could refuse to take jobs and be labeled as peace-loving-pariah. And that was no fun either.

Then came the question, whether any of them had slain an enemy, she half expected some boastful prick to raise their hand and exclaim some farcical battle in which they had, no doubt, swiftly defeated a couple of rouge Jounin with nothing but a bendy-straw and sheer perseverance. Sadly it didn't seem that anyone would be doing just that, leaving her to wallow in disappointment. Of course she did not speak up about this matter, the closest she had come to a NDE, a near-death-encounter, was that one time with her brother, with the hammer and all that good stuff, and even then it wasn't her NDE.

Soon after Sensei's exposition another Shinobi entered the fray, he seemed to be a few years younger than the others, she assumed he could be no more than seven or eight at most. Another poor soul going into the meat-grinder that was Shinobi-dom.

Sensei began his main lecture after the newest student found his seat, seemed he would start off with the fact that it went against most psychological barriers in the human mind that said: 'Hey, killing other people is sort of counterproductive for the whole of the species, so let's not do that.' which seemed as obvious as any other innate response. Though he soon went forward into the obvious obvious systematic desensitization that occurred in the villages that attempted to create ideal Shinobi.

Next came the implications of posturing oneself in order to avoid conflict at all possible, a technique that almost all mammalian species exerted, make yourself look big and no one wants to mess with you. In the years she had spent running with her family she had realized a few things about this tactic that were more or less confirmed in Ringo's story and Sensei's speech, the loudest and biggest person in the room were rarely the hardest, the meanest, the toughest. It generally seemed to be the opposite, the more one yelled the more of a frightened child they seemed to be clinging onto the hopes that no one would hurt them if they kept screaming that they were in fact the toughest son of a bitch in the room.

Afterward he spoke that most of the population instinctively would not kill other people, which was hardwired into the brain as much as the instinct to take care of their young. While she didn't have any particular questions on the matter, it was all fairly self-explanatory, she did have a statement, "Bit counterproductive if we all kill each other, we're sort of hardwired to not do that. Survival of people and all that.<i></i>" she could have droned on further about the matter but there was little point to it. Instead she decided to sit back again and listen to the answer for the other two's questions.

((Inactivity skipping Tesshou))

Yoshida Tesshou

Yen
ASP
Deaths
[col]
((Apologies for the lateness. Feel free to skip me any time though, since this is more about interacting with the teacher than each other.))

A small notebook had surfaced in front of Tesshou before the teacher acknowledged the beginning of class. In it was a mass of tiny drawings and profound wisdom: a compilation of boredom and learning. Tesshou was no slacker and made sure to jot down the most vital of information in any course. However, he was still a boy at heart and found much of the filler too unbearable to sit through. Not without the relief of artwork.

This particular lecture was actually quite interesting, and the boy found himself unable to express himself in fear of missing out on too much information. It was also too much information to completely translate onto paper verbatim. So, in an act of useful compromise, he chose to jot down keywords and make little drawings that would essentially summarize the scenarios and examples provided by Bii-Ryu.

Amidst this were the gears of his mind turning in response to the particular subject. At the root of it, this lecture could be pegged as one of a series on human interaction. Tesshou was not aware of it yet, but this was a subject that plagued his clan for centuries and perhaps his thoughts and curiosities were a product of inheritance. Even with Sensei's very informative presentation, the boy could not help but ponder what conversation he could have with his grandfather later in the day. He then found himself almost instinctively raising his hand upon hearing the call for questions.

"Uh, I remember you saying some won't even kill to save themselves or a comrade... How does that compare to the normal situation? Are there, like, statistics that show how often people overcome the urge to not kill with zero risk versus a risk to their own life versus a risk to the life of a comrade?" He looked a bit worried, since he wasn't sure how beneficial the question was to the lecture. But it was something he was genuinely curious about.​
|[/col]

Takaki Saeko

Yen
ASP
Deaths
One more round to go. As I said before, it's a busy time for everyone. Don't worry about post order. If you have time to make a post do what you can. Everyone who came to class in the first 2 rounds will get promotion credit at the very least.

Nara-NPC_zpsb0a5a210.jpg

If that didn't wake them up from their stupor, then nothing would. The questions came pouring in like a freshly undammed river of misgiving and delayed realization that yes, the students were stuck becoming soldiers, and there was nothing they could do about it.

"I'll field your question first," Bii-Ryu said to the older-seeming student with glasses and an already well-defined jawline. Probably an avid reader, given the premature degradation of his eyesight. "And I'm glad you asked, because I'm about to cover the issue you raise in more detail in this class. Suffice it to say, however, I personally believe and have observed that there is no inherent contradiction between the actions of attempting to save one human being on the battlefield, while also attempting to kill another.

"You might then ask me: 'How can you say this, as a medical professional? As a doctor? Did you not take an oath to do no harm first and foremost?' In this case, the important thing is context. On the field of battle, I am first and foremost a shinobi, and a soldier of Cloud. Although my primary role is to support and assist my fellow fighters, I am also a part of our overall defense and, if need be, offense. If an enemy fighter is attempting to kill me, it is my duty to kill him before he is successful. If I am dead or incapacitated, I am unable to help my comrades and fulfill my primary mission objective. This also means I don't blindly rush into enemy fire in attempts to save my comrades' lives, as some of you may imagine battlefield medics do. As part of a team, I will make sure the scene is safe before I devote any attention to treatment. Contrast this to my 'regular' job treating patients at the village hospital. There, I do not carry arms and the last thing on my mind is violence. But that is all because of context.

"As far as your second question, I think this is a good opportunity to define exactly what Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder is. According to the DSM, there are several criteria that must be met for PTSD to be a valid diagnosis. First and most important, there must be exposure to a traumatic event, and further, this MUST have involved BOTH a loss of physical integrity or definitive risk of death or severe injury, AND a response to that event that involved intense fear, horror, or helplessness. This is actually a change from the previously held criteria that only specified exposure to an event that would cause 'significant symptoms of distress in almost anyone.' Second, the victim must persistently re-experience the event or emotions of the event in some fashion. Third, the victim must experience persistent avoidance behaviors for stimuli or contexts related to the event, coupled with emotional numbing or depressive symptoms. Fourth, the victim must experience persistent symptoms of increased arousal: I don't mean sexual arousal, but rather physiological issues such as difficulty sleeping, hyper vigilance, or an increased startle response. Fifth, the symptoms must have been present for more than a month. And finally, all of this must lead to significant impairment of daily life and function.

"Current studies estimate that for the recent Lightning Civil War, the point prevalence of PTSD ranges between two to seventeen percent of returning Lightning Military veterans. That's a wide range, and it's mainly because of differences in methodology for various papers and studies, varying reporting criteria, and also the inherent variability of population-based studies using standard-error sampling as their main statistical method. What we do know, however, is that the absolute numbers of new diagnoses are skyrocketing. Why this is, we're not exactly sure. There are a number of possible risk factors for this, including a hereditary component of PTSD susceptibility, as well as the various known environmental contributors. These include things like early experience of chronic adversity or deprivation, foster care, military service, sexual assault or harassment, and alcohol and drug dependence. I hypothesize that as we become an increasingly violent society, we will see this become a far more common diagnosis."

Next, Bii-Ryu turned to the two other boys who'd spoken up. One of them was being persistently ignored by the two stylish girls, but then again, the girls might have fallen asleep.

"Both of you are essentially asking the same thing: 'how do you get someone to overcome his or her natural aversion to killing?' After all, this is essential in our line of work, and especially if someone is going for a post within the ANBU, for example. You simply cannot have an ANBU who will not kill or fire his weapon, but at the same time, very few of these individuals are what I would consider true psychopaths. How can you get a bunch of non-psychopaths to perform actions that a psychopath will do without hesitation, without turning them into actual psychopaths? I'll cover this next, when I talk about what it actually feels like to kill someone, and how our military trains us to do this much more often than before.

"Unfortunately, this is still a very poorly-studied field, and exact statistics as you ask for, are very far and few between. Even General Marusha's methodology wouldn't pass modern scientific peer-review muster today, so there is always some doubt over whether ninety percent of soldiers truly did not fire their weapons. However, the vast majority of circumstantial evidence seems to support his original conclusion. Like anything else in this world, take it with a grain of salt, and experience things for yourself.

"So, moving on. About thirty years ago, a mednin psychiatrist published some famous research on death which revealed that when people are dying they often go through a series of emotional stages, including denial, anger, bargaining, depression, and finally, acceptance. From my interviews with veterans over the last two decades as well as from many historical narratives I have read, I have found a similar series of emotional response stages to killing in combat.

“The basic stages are: 1) concern about killing 2) the actual kill 3) exhilaration 4) remorse, and 5) rationalization and acceptance. These stages are generally sequential but not necessarily universal. Some individuals may skip certain stages or blend them, or pass through them so fleetingly that they do not even acknowledge their presence. Many veteran soldiers actually tell me that this process is similar to, but much more powerful than that experienced by first-time hunters.

“One of the soldier’s first emotional responses to killing is a concern as to, whether at the moment of truth, he will be able to kill the enemy or will ‘freeze up’ and ‘let his buddies down.’ All of my interviews and research verify that these are deep and sincere concerns that exist on the part of most soldiers, and it must be remembered that only 15 to 20 percent of Lightning Country Imperial Army soldiers went beyond the first stage.

“As far as the actual killing stage, it is usually completed in the heat of the moment, and for the modern, properly conditioned shinobi soldier, killing in such a circumstance is most often completed reflexively, without conscious thought. It is as though a human being is a weapon. As an ANBU operator named Asazaki Enma wrote, ‘Two shots. Bam Bam. Just like we had been trained in the Academy. When I killed, I did it just like that. Just like I’d been trained. Without even thinking.’

“It is not unusual for soldiers to immediately feel some sense of exhilaration or euphoria, even after a kill in close combat. In fact, combat adrenaline and the pleasure and satisfaction gained from dropping a target can make deadly combat actually quite an enjoyable experience. When the Raikage Aion fought in the Waterfall Wars against Wind Country tribesmen in the western theater he shot and killed a charging enemy on the first day of the campaign. ‘I suppose it is brutal,’ he wrote, ‘but I had a feeling of the most intense satisfaction as the wretched Turk went spinning down.’ Aion the Dawnbringer’s words are echoed by many combat veterans, who tell me again and again that fighting brings ‘satisfaction.’

“There are a few individuals who fixate on the exhilaration stage and seek more experiences in combat, and more kills. However, for the vast majority of soldiers in combat, everyone associated with killing in combat eventually reaps a bitter harvest of guilt. The media and propagandists’ depiction of violence tries to tell us that men can easily throw off the moral inhibitions of a lifetime – and whatever other instinctive restraint exists – and kill casually and guiltlessly in combat. However, the men and women who have killed, and who will talk about it, tell a different tale:
”Killing is the worst thing that one man can do to another man. It’s the last thing that should happen anywhere.”

-Royal Marine Lieutenant.

“I reproached myself as a destroyer. An indescribable uneasiness came over me. I felt almost like a criminal.”

-Waterfall-era Rain Country genin.

“This was the first time I had killed anybody and when things quieted down I went and looked at a Kaminarijin I knew I had shot. I remember thinking that he looked old enough to have a family and I felt very sorry.”

-Kagoshiman insurgent after his first kill.

“It didn’t hit me all that much then, but when I think of it now – I slaughtered those people. I murdered them.”

-Lightning Imperial Army veteran.

“And I froze, ‘cause it was a boy, I would say between the ages of twelve and fourteen. When he turned and looked, all of a sudden he turned his whole body and pointed his autobolter at me, and I just opened up, fired the whole twenty rounds right at the kid, and he just laid there. I dropped my weapon and cried.”

-Cloud ANBU Captain.

“Finally, the next stage in a soldier’s emotional response to killing is a lifelong process in which the killer attempts to rationalize and accept what he has done. In some cases, this process may never truly be completed. The killer never completely leaves all remorse and guilt behind, but he can usually come to accept that what he has done was necessary and right. A stunning example of this can actually be seen in the collected journal entries of one of Cloud’s most famous rogue shinobi, Yukimura Enishi. Here he writes about his first deployment to suppress a rebellion in one of the Lightning Colonies in the sea of Kirigakure:
As I approached the building the sound of moaning, punctuated by deep laughs, was clearly audible. The rear of the church contained two small dirty windows at eye level, through which I looked. Although the interior of the church was dark by comparison with the blazing outdoors sunlight, I could pick out the forms of two naked islanders torturing a young Tenouzan woman whom I assumed to be a nun or a teacher. She had been stripped naked and was stretched out in the aisle of the church, arms pulled tightly over her head by the rebels, while the other knelt on her stomach and repeatedly touched her nipples with a burning cigarette. She had burn marks on her face and neck as well. Uniforms of the Katangese Gendarmerie were thrown over the back of a pew, and female garments were scattered near the door. A bolter lay in the aisle beside the young woman. Another bolter had been left leaning against the wall near the uniforms. There appeared to be no one else present in the church.

On my signal we burst into the cathedral, our bolters on full-auto.

“Stand still,” I bellowed. “Kumogakure ANBU; you’re under arrest.” I didn’t want to do it that way, but damn it, I was still a shinobi, and subject to the Raikage’s Regulations and Orders.

The rebels bounded to their feet to face us, eyes staring wildly. I carried a Santaru-Taji 15, which I leveled at the two naked men. We were no more than four meters apart.

The one who had been holding the nun’s arms was visibly shaking with fear, his eyes flying uncontrollably about the room. In a second they rested on the bolter lying in the aisle. The nun had rolled onto her stomach, clutching her breasts and rocking from side to side, moaning in pain.

“Don’t be a fool, man,” I cautioned. But he did it anyway.

In a burst of panic he emitted a loud, piercing wail and dove for the bolter. Landing on his knees he grabbed the weapon, and turning his terrified face to mine, attempting to bring his weapon to bear. My first burst caught him in the face, the second full in the chest. He was dead before he fell over, a body missing most of its head.

The second terrorist began to wave his arms frantically up and down, like a featherless black bird attempting to take flight. His eyes kept flitting back and forth between the muzzle of the ST-15 and his own weapon, which was leaning against the wall a good ten feet away.

“Don’t do it, don’t do it,” I ordered. But he emitted a loud “Yaaaa…,” and scrambled for the bolter. I warned him again but he grabbed the weapon, worked the action to place a bolt in the chamber, and began to swing his muzzle toward me.

“KILL HIM, GODDAMIT,” screamed Cpl Hinata, who had now entered the church behind us. “KILL HIM, NOW!”

The rebel terrorist was now fully facing me, desperately attempting to swing the long-barrel of the bolter across his body to align it with my chest. His eyes locked on mine – wild, frantic eyes surrounded by fields of white. They never left mine, not even when the powerful bolter rounds tore into his stomach, walked up his chest, and cut the carotid artery on the left side of his neck. His body hit the floor with a thud, blown apart by the blast of the ST-15, and still the eyes remained riveted to mine. Then his body relaxed and eyes dilated, blind in death.

Prior to Okonda, I had not killed a human being. That is, I did not know for sure that I had killed. When one is firing at moving, shadowy figures in the confusion of battle one cannot be certain of the results. At Bridge 19 I had killed many men when I detonated the charges, blowing an enemy convoy to kingdom come, but somehow the incident was not psychologically close. They were a long way off, and the cover of night hid their shapes and movement, their very humanity. But here at Okonda it was different. The two men I killed were practically within arms’ reach, I could see their facial expressions clearly, even hear their breathing, see their fear, and smell their body odor. And the funny thing was that I didn’t feel a damn thing!

There had been two nuns at Okonda: the young one we saved, and the older one we didn’t. When I first entered the church I was standing slightly behind the altar, and off to the left side. From that position I couldn’t see the front of the altar, a rather large affair made of rough-hewn wood with a cross towering above it. Perhaps it was a good thing I could not, for the rebels had used the altar to butcher the old nun.

They had stripped her naked, but had not assaulted her sexually, probably because she was elderly and obese. Instead, they sat her upright with her back to the altar, and nailed her hands to it in an apparent mimicry of a crucifixion. Then they cut off her breasts with a bayonet, and, in a final act of savagery, drove the bayonet through her mouth into the altar behind, impaling her in an upright position. Evidence of a struggle showed that she had not died instantly from the bayonet wound, but had probably succumbed to the loss of blood from the wounds on her chest. She had a Tenouzan man’s penis and testicles showed partially in her vagina. Her severed breasts were not present.

We found the owner of the male genitalia tied spread-eagle in the middle of the village compound, with the nun’s breasts attached to his chest with sharpened sticks.

Before we departed Okonda the young nun asked to meet with the soldier who had saved her life. She was clothed now, and had cleaned up a little bit with the help of our mednin. I was surprised how young she was – early 20s or younger. She required a number of sutures in her vagina, and would need burn treatments as well. I didn’t admire her decision to remain in enemy territory when she was given ample opportunity to leave, but I did admire her spunk. When we met she looked me in the eye and said, “Thank God you came.” She had been badly beaten, but not defeated.

As for me, I had turned 14 only two days previous, and still suffered from the native upbringing of a good Raiden-worshipping family. I lost a lot of that upbringing at Okonda. There was no honor here, no virtue. The standards of behavior taught in the homes, churches, and schools of Lightning Country had no place in battle. They were mythical concepts good only for raising of children, to be cast aside forever from this moment on. No, I didn’t feel guilt, shame, or remorse at killing my fellow man. I felt pride!

-Yukimura Enishi

“Yukimura was able to overcome and rationalize his experience, and it formed the basis for much of his view on killing and fighting for the rest of his career in Kumogakure. For many others, it is not as easy, and a common, recurring trouble that many shinobi tell me about is that their dreams are full of people they have killed,” he said, sipping the cooling coffee.

“So with all of this resistance toward killing, and knowing the emotions and costs associated with it, you’d think that no one would ever be killed in war, or that two percent of all soldiers and shinobi actually perform a hundred percent of the killing. But as I have told you, there are ways in which the resistance to killing can be overcome, and all military organizations exploit these processes in order to gain a tactical edge over their enemies. So what are they?

“First, numerous studies have concluded that men in combat are usually motivated to fight not by ideology or hate or fear, but by group pressures and processes involving 1) regard for their comrades, 2) respect for their leaders 3) concern for their own reputation with both and 4) an urge to contribute toward the success of the group.

“Repeatedly, we see combat veterans describe the powerful bonds that men forge in combat as stronger than those of husband and wife. Tagiushi Moro, current Regent Commander of the ANBU, described it this way:
This is going to sound really strange, but there’s a love relationship that is nurtured in combat because the shinobi next to you – you’re depending on him for the most important thing you have, you life, and if he lets you down you’re either maimed or killed. If you make a mistake the same thing happens to him, so the bond of trust has to be extremely close, and I’d say this bond is stronger than almost anything, with the exception of parent and child. It’s a hell of a lot stronger than man and wife – your life is in his hands, you trust that person with the most valuable thing you have.

“This bonding is so intense that it is fear of failing these comrades that preoccupies most combatants. Countless sociological and psychological studies, the personal narrative of numerous veterans, and the interviews I have conducted clearly indicate the strength of a soldier’s concern for failing his or her buddies. The guilt and trauma associated with failing to fully support men and women who are bonded with friendship and camaraderie on this magnitude is profoundly intense. Yet every soldier and every leader feels this guilt to one degree or another. For those who know they have not fired while their friends died around them, the guilty can be traumatic.

“In turn, the responsibilities of a combat leader represent a remarkable paradox. To be truly good at what he does, he must love his men and be bonded to them with powerful links of mutual responsibility and affection. And then he must ultimately be willing to give orders that may kill them.

“To a significant degree, the social barrier between officer and enlisted man, and between sergeant and private, or in our case, Sennin and Jounin, and Chuunin and Genin, exists to enable the superior officer to send his men into mortal danger and to shield him from the inevitable guilt associated with their deaths. Even the best leaders make some mistakes that will weigh forever on their consciences. Every good combat leader thinks, at some level, that if he had just done something different, that perhaps the men under his command might not have died. However, this is a deadly, dangerous line of thought for leaders, and the honors and decorations that are traditionally heaped on military leaders at all levels are vitally important for their mental health in the years that follow. These decorations, medals, mentions in dispatches, and other forms of recognition represent a powerful affirmation from society, telling him that he did well, he did the right thing, and that no one blames him for the lives lost in doing his duty.”

Bii-Ryu sipped from his cooling coffee once more, as he paced around the room.

“Besides the expectations and dynamics of the group, another extremely important factor in enabling killing is simple distance.

“The link between distance and ease of aggression is not a new discovery. It has long been understood that there is a direct relationship between the empathetic and physical proximity of the victim, and the resultant difficulty and trauma of the kill. This concept has fascinated and concerned soldiers, poets, philosophers, anthropologists, and psychologists alike.

“At the far end of the spectrum are artillery and long-range jutsu, which are often used to illustrate the relative ease of long-range killing. As we draw to the near end of the spectrum, we begin to realize that the resistance to killing becomes increasingly more intense. This process culminates at the close end of the spectrum, when the resistance to bayoneting or stabbing becomes tremendously intense, and killing with bare hands through common jutsu such as crushing the throat with a blow or gouging a thumb through the eye and into brain become almost unthinkable.
The shinobi could now kill his collective enemy, which included women and children, without ever seeing them. The cries of the wounded and dying went unheard by those who inflicted the pain. A man might slay hundreds and never see their blood flow.

Less than a century after the Waterfall Wars ended, a single A-rank jutsu, cast kilometers away from its target, could take the lives of an entire city, almost all civilians. The moral distance between this event and the tribal warrior facing a single opponent is far greater than even the thousands of years and transformations of culture that separate them.

-Takagi Masao, Imperial Historian.

“Throughout the recent Lightning Civil War, arbalestillery crews and shinobi killed thousands of people at maximum range. Women, children, and elderly people, no different from their own wives, children, and parents. These individuals were able to bring themselves to kill these civilians primarily through the mental leverage provided to them by the application of distance. Intellectually, they understood the horror of what they were doing. Emotionally, the distance involved allowed them to deny it. From a distance, you don’t look like a friend. From a distance, I can deny your humanity.

“Indeed, many an arbalestillery man who has destroyed large numbers of terrified noncombatants has never felt any need for repentance or regret. And numerous historians note that there has never been any difficulty in getting arbalestillery men or Imperial Navy men to kill. It is the intervention of distance and machinery between them and the enemy. They can pretend they are not killing human beings.

“The next level of distance is ‘long range,’ which is defined at the range at which the average soldier may be able to see the enemy, but is unable to kill him without some form of special weaponry – sniper weapons, anti-armor jutsu, or bombardment from war-wagons. Takagi Masao tells of a Kagoshiman Conflict Lightning sniper recalling how, after shooting a Kagoshiman insurgent, ‘ a queer thrill shot through me, it was a different feeling to that which I had when I shot my first wolf as a boy. For an instant I felt sick and faint, but the feeling soon passed.’

“Note that here we begin to see some disturbance at the act of killing, but snipers doctrinally operate as teams, and like maximum-range killers they are protected by the same potent combination of group absolution, mechanical distance (the sniper scope), and physical distance. Their observations and the accounts of their kills are strangely depersonalized and different from those we will see at closer ranges.

“Next, we will call ‘midrange’ that range at which the soldier can see and engage the enemy with bolter fire or intermediate-range jutsu while still unable to perceive the extent of the wounds inflicted or the sounds and facial expressions of the victim when he is hit. In fact, at this range a soldier can still deny that it was he who killed the enemy. When asked about his experiences, one Waterfall War veteran told me that ‘there were so many guys firing, you can never be sure it was you. You shoot, you see a guy fall, and anyone could have been the one that hit him.’

“Most of the above applies to to grenade or explosive note range, which can be anywhere from a few meters to as many as thirty or forty meters. Again, the main factor is that killers do not have to see their victims as they die – in fact, if you are within visual range of an explosive note, you may become a victim of it. However, if soldiers proceed to look at their victims of either bolter or mid-range jutsu fire, then they risk incurring a significant amount of psychiatric trauma. Especially for the aftermath of grenade use.

“At close range, which is less than a few meters, the euphoria stage we discussed earlier still appears to be experienced in some form by most soldiers. Most combat veterans I have interviewed will admit to having experiences a brief feeling of elation upon succeeding in killing the enemy. Usually, however, this euphoria stage is almost instantly overwhelmed by the guilt stage as the soldier is faced with the undeniable evidence of what he has done, and the guilt stage is often so strong as to result in physical revulsion or vomiting.

“A soldier killing at close range is by its very nature an intensely vivid and personal matter. Saito Akira, a former ANBU Sennin and veteran of the October Rebellion, vividly described his own psychological response to a close-range kill.
I was utterly terrified – petrified – but I knew there had to be a sniper in the small fishing shack near the shore. He was firing in the other direction at ANBU in another battalion, but I knew as soon as he picked off the people there, that he would start picking us off. And there was nobody else to go…and so I ran toward the shack and broke in and found myself in an empty room. There was a door which meant that there was another room and the sniper was in that – and I just broke it down. I was just absolutely gripped by the fear that this man would expect me and would shoot me. But as it turned out he was in a sniper harness and he couldn’t turn around fast enough. He was entangled in the harness so I shot him with a .45 and I felt remorse and shame. I can remember whispering foolishly, “I’m sorry” and then just throwing up…I threw up all over myself. It was a betrayal of what I’d been taught since a child.

“Often times, the death inflicted on the enemy during a close-range kill is not instant, and the killer finds himself in the position of comforting his victim in his last moments. During the Demon Invasion of Cloud, there were a significant number of human adversaries from the ranks of the Cabal, who also attempted to invade Cloud during the Hitokage’s campaign. Masashiku Tama, a Cloud ANBU at the time, tells of a remarkable incident that happened during a raid.
All of a sudden there was a guy firing a pistol bolter right at us. It looked as big as a 175 [mm arbalest] just then. The first round hit the chuunin on my left in the chest. The second round hit me in the right arm, although I didn’t know it. The third round hit the genin on my right in the gut. By this time I had bounced off the wall to my left.

I charged the [Cabalist], firing my ST-15. He fell at my feet. He was still alive but would soon die. I reached down and took the pistol bolter from his hand. I can still see those eyes, looking at me in hate…

Later, I walked over to take another look at the Cultist I had shot. He was still alive and looking at me with those eyes. The flies were beginning to get all over him. I put a blanket over him and rubbed water from my canteen onto his lips. That hard stare started to leave his eyes. He wanted to talk but was too far gone. I lit a cigarette, took a few puffs, and put it to his lips. He could barely puff. We each had a few drags and that hard look had left his eyes before he died.

“A Jounin commando who was a veteran of the Civil War once put it this way when describing combat to me: ‘When you get up close and personal,’ he drawled while chewing a cud of tobacco in his cheek, ‘where you can hear ‘em scream and see ‘em die,’ and here he spit the tobacco for emphasis, ‘it’s a bitch.’

“Finally, as we bring the physical distance spectrum to its culmination point, we must realize that killing with a knife is significantly more difficult than killing with a spear, sword, or bayonet attached to a bolter. Many knife kills are performed from behind, and are less traumatic than a kill performed from the front, since the face and all its messages and contortions are not seen. But what is felt at the bucking and shuddering of a victim’s body and the warm sticky blood gushing out, and what is heard is the final breath hissing out.

“We in Cloud, along with armies in other nations, train our shinobi to execute a knife kill from the rear by plunging the knife through the lower back and into the kidney. Such a blow is so remarkably painful that its effect is to completely paralyse the victim as he quickly dies, resulting in a silent kill.

“This kidney strike is contrary to the natural inclination of most soldiers, who – if they have thought about the matter at all – would prefer to slit the throat while holding a hand over the victim’s mouth. This option, although psychologically and culturally more desirable (it is a slashing rather than thrusting blow), has far less potential for silence, since an improperly slit throat is capable of making considerable noise and holding a hand over someone’s mouth is not always an easy thing to do. The victim has a capacity to bite, and many experienced shinobi had told me of accidentally cutting their own hands while trying to cut an enemy’s throat in the dark.

“So far, however, we have been talking about only mechanical distance. There are in actuality many more types if distance that are utilized by militaries to further enable killing, even from close physical distance. These include:

“Cultural distance, such as racial and ethnic differences, which permit the killer to dehumanize the victim; Moral distance, which takes into consideration the kind of intense belief in moral superiority and vengeful/vigilante actions associated with many civil wars; and finally Social distance, which considers the impact of a lifetime of practice in thinking of a particular class as less than human in a socially stratified environment.

Bii-Ryu did not even bother with the coffee anymore. It had cooled beyond recognition.

“In addition to distance, another key factor in overcoming resistance to killing is the presence and demands of authority. Medical Sennin Taji Yuki’s experiments in a controlled laboratory environment cound that more than 65 percent of her subjects could be manipulated into inflicting a seemingly lethal electric charge on a total stranger. Subjects sincerely believed that they were causing great physical pain, but despite their victim’s pitiful pleas for them to stop, 65 percent continued to obey orders, increase the voltage, and inflict the shocks until long after the screams stopped and there could be little doubt the victim was dead. Prior to her experiment, Taji asked a group of mednin and psychologists to predict how many of her subjects would use the maximum voltage on the victim. They estimated that a fraction of 1 percent would do so. They, like most people, really didn’t have a clue.

“Many underestimate the influence of authority and leadership in enabling killing on the battlefield, but those who have been there know better. A study by Isaki Kushin investigated the factors that would make a soldier fire. He found that the individuals who had no combat experience assumed that ‘being fired upon’ would be the critical factor in making them fire. However, veterans listed ‘being told to fire’ as the most critical factor.

“A tremendous volume of research also indicates that another primary factor that motivates a soldier to do the things that no sane person wants to do in combat (that is, killing and dying), is not the force of self-preservation, but a powerful sense of accountability to his comrades on the battlefield. Among soldiers who are bonded together so intensely, there is a powerful process of peer pressure in which the individual cares so deeply about his comrades and what they think of him that he would rather die than let them down.

“In addition to creating a sense of accountability, groups also enable killing through developing in their members a sense of anonymity that contributes to further violence. In some circumstances, this process of group anonymity seems to facilitate a kind of atavistic killing hysteria as can be seen in the horrendous mass-murders that took place in Water Country. This can also be seen in the animal kingdom. Kaguya Daisuke’s research describes scenes from the animal kingdom that show that senseless and wanton killing does occur. These include the slaughter of gazelles by hyenas, in quantities way beyond their need or capacity to eat, or the destruction of gulls that could not fly in a stormy night and thus were ‘sitting ducks’ for foxes that proceeded to kill them beyond any possible need for food. He points out that ‘such senseless violence in the animal kingdom is shown by groups rather than by individuals.’

“A profound diffusion of responsibility can be caused by the anonymity created in a crowd. It has been demonstrated by dozens of studies that bystanders will be less likely to interfere in a situation in direct relationship to the numbers who are witnessing the circumstance. Thus, in large crowds, horrendous crimes can occur but the likelihood of a bystander interfering is quite low. However, the bystander is alone and is faced with a circumstance in which there is no one else to diffuse the responsibility to, then the probability of intervention is very high. In the same way, groups provide a diffusion of responsibility that will enable individuals in mobs and soldiers in military units to commit acts that they would never dream of doing as individuals. Acts such as lynching someone because of the color of his skin or shooting someone because of the color of his uniform.

“Now, of course, these are the mechanisms by which the vast majority of humans are enabled to kill. Armies have spent centuries developing and reinforcing these mechanisms. However, Takagi and Nakamura’s study of the Waterfall Wars noted the existence of 2 percent of combat soldiers who are predisposed to be ‘aggressive psychopaths’ and apparently do not experience the normal resistance to killing and the resultant psychiatric casualties associated with extended periods of combat. However, the negative connotations associated with the term ‘psychopath’ are inappropriate here, since this behavior is a generally desirable one for soldiers in combat.

“There is strong evidence that there exists a genetic predisposition for aggression. In all species the best hunter, the best fighter, the most aggressive male, survives to pass his biological predispositions on to his descendants. There are also environmental processes that can fully develop this predisposition toward aggression; when we combine this genetic predisposition with environmental development we get a killer. But there is another factor: the presence or absence of empathy for others. Again, there may be biological or environmental causes for this empathic process, but whatever its origin, there is undoubtedly a division in humanity between those who can feel and understand the pain and suffering of others, and those who cannot. The presence of aggression, combined with the absence of empathy, results in sociopathy. The presence of aggression, combined with the presence of empathy, results in a completely different kind of individual from the sociopath.

“A veteran shinobi I interviewed told me that he thought of most of the world as sheep: gentle, decent, kindly creatures who are essentially incapable of true aggression. In this veteran’s mind there is another human subspecies (of which he is a member) that is kind of a dog: faithful, vigilant creatures who are very much capable of aggression when circumstances require. But, according to his model, there are wolves (sociopaths) and packs of wild dogs (gangs and aggressive armies) abroad in the land, and the sheepdogs (the soldiers and policemen of the world) are environmentally and biologically predisposed to be the ones who confront these predators.

“Some experts in the psychiatric community think that these men are simply sociopaths and that the above view of killers is a romanticization – at worst, it can cause needless deaths in peaceful society when those who view themselves as ‘sheepdogs’ attempt to enthusiastically and violently intervene in a situation when a more restrained approach would have sufficed.

“Personally, I believe that there are individuals out there, specifically prominent shinobi such as the Raikage Hayata, who are armed and vigilant, but would not misuse or misdirect their aggression any more than a sheepdog would turn on his flock. But in their hearts, many of them yearn for a righteous battle, a wolf upon whom to legitimately and lawfully turn their skills. Historian Nakamura Akihiko speaks of this yearning:
This urgent calling of nature longs to be tested, seeks to be challenged beyond itself. The warrior within us beseeches Raijin, the god of war, to deliver us to that crucial battlefield that will redeem us into the terrifying immediacy of the moment. We want to face our Hitokage so that we may be reminded that the warrior Ryuuto is alive, in us. We pray to the war gods to guide us to the walls of Kumogakure so we may dare the steadfastness and strength of our trumpet call. We aspire to be defeated in battles by powers so much greater than ourselves, that the defeat itself will have made us larger than when we arrived. We long for the encounter that will ultimately empower us with dignity and honor… Be not mistaken: the longing is there and it’s loving and terrible and beautiful and tragic.

“As far as whether this viewpoint represents a gallant desire to protect others or is merely a disguise for childish thuggery, I leave it up to you to interpret,” Bii-Ryu said.

“Before I launch into the last segment of class, I’d like to briefly touch on two things – first, murder and atrocity in warfare, and second, how the village of Kumogakure teaches you personally how to kill, and what you should take from it.

“As Takagi Masao says in the introduction to Modern Shinobi Warfare, ‘The basic aim of a nation at war is establishing an image of the enemy in order to distinguish as sharply as possible the act of killing from the act of murder.’ However, the problem of distinguishing murder from killing in combat is extremely complex, and it is one of the things that most plagues new shinobi who have been forced to kill, often for the first time in their lives, and especially when it is not an obviously defined enemy solder firing back at them. They often tell me that ‘I never signed up for this shit. I never thought I’d be one of those evil bastards committing atrocities I’d only read about in books about the Waterfall Wars or something.’

“First, we usually define ‘atrocity’ as the killing of a noncombatant, either an erstwhile combatant who is no longer fighting or has given up, or a civilian. But modern war, especially guerilla warfare, makes such distinctions blurry. In order to help tackle this issue, I think we should examine atrocity as a spectrum of occurrences rather than a precisely defined type of occurrence.

“Anchoring one end of the spectrum of atrocity is the act of killing an armed enemy who is trying to kill you. While this is not actually atrocity, it serves as a standard against which other kinds of killing can be measured. The enemy who fights to a ‘noble’ death validates and affirms the killer’s belief in his own nobility and glory of his cause. Thus, a Waterfall Wars Lightning Officer could speak admiringly of the Fire Country soldiers who remained faithful unto death: ‘Topping fellows. Fight until they are killed. They gave us hell.’ And Raikage Shinbatsu immortalized in prose the Demon infantry who stood firm against his forces during the rout of the Hitokage’s forces during the invasion: ‘I grew proud of the enemy who had killed my brothers. They were leagues from home, without hope and without guides, in conditions bad enough to break the bravest nerves. Yet their sections held together, sheering through the wrack of Cloud shinobi like armored ships, high-faced and silent. When attacked they halted, took position, fired to order. There was no haste, no crying, no hesitation. They were glorious.’

“When it comes to ambushes and guerilla warfare, this is a gray area. The enemy represents no immediate threat to the killer, but is killed anyway, without opportunity to surrender. Tagiushi Moro provides an excellent example of such a kill: ‘They didn’t know I existed, but I sure as hell saw them. This is one fucked-up way to die, I thought as I squeezed softly on the trigger.’ Such a kill is by no means considered an atrocity, but it is distinctly different from a noble kill and potentially harder for the killer to rationalize and deal with. Ambush kills are rare in combat, and many civilizations partially protected themselves and their consciences by declaring such forms of warfare dishonorable. But this is the primary means by which we shinobi are doctrinally taught to fight.

“Next in the spectrum, we have the close-range murder of prisoners and civilians during war. Although it is a demonstrably counterproductive action (executing enemy prisoners stiffens the will of the enemy and makes him less likely to surrender), it often does happen in the heat of battle. Among the ANBU, the usual policy in combat is to ‘never take prisoners’, even when intercepting a runner at the gate. And for the other branches, when it is impractical to take prisoners during operations behind enemy lines, there is an unspoken agreement that prisoners have to be ‘taken care of.’ But in the heat of battle, it is not really that simple. In order to fight at close range, one must deny the humanity of one’s enemy. Surrender requires the opposite – that one recognize and take pity on the humanity of the enemy. A surrender in the heat of battle requires a complete, and very difficult emotional turnaround by both parties. The enemy who opts to posture or fight and then dies in battle becomes a noble enemy. But if at the last minute he tries to surrender he runs a great risk of being killed immediately. Takagi writes at length on this process:
Surrendering during battle is difficult. Aion the Dawnbringer suggested, ‘No soldier can claim the right to quarter if he fights to the extremity.’ Santaru Ryuuto saw several Cabalist arbalesters shot during the Demon Invasion. ‘They were defenseless, but they have chosen to make themselves so. We did not ask them to abandon their weapons. They only did so when they saw that those who were not mown down were getting closer to them and the boot was now on the other foot.’

Santaru Rin agreed that the defender had no moral right to surrender in these circumstances: ‘the defending force, after driving their bolts into the attacking one at five paces distance, must take the consequences. A woman cannot change her feelings again during the last rush with a veil of blood before her eyes. She does not want to take prisoners but to kill.’

During the cavalry action at Chipyong-Ni, Akira Saito saw how difficult it was to restrain excited men. ‘There was a bit of a melee, horses neighing and a lot of shouting and yelling. I remember seeing Corporal Ouja run his lance right through a dismounted Marsh who had his hands up and thinking it was a rather bad thing to do.’

Kawakita Ryo, a mednin on the Western Front, read a letter written by a young soldier to his mother. ‘When we jumped into their trench, mother, they all held up their hands and shouted ‘Camerad, Camerad’ and that means ‘I give in’ in their language. But they had to have it, mother. I think that is all from your loving Takao.’

In short, no soldier who fights until his enemy is at close small-arms range, in any war, has more than perhaps a fifty-fifty chance of being granted quarter. If he stands up to surrender he risks being shot with the time-honored comment, ‘Too late, chum.’ If he lies low, he will fall victim to the grenades of the mopping-up party, in no mood to take chances.

“Yet Takagi concludes that the consistently remarkable thing in such circumstances is not how many soldiers are killed while trying to surrender, but how few. Even under this kind of provocation, the general resistance to killing runs true. Surrender-executions are clearly wrong and counterproductive to a force that has dedicated itself to fighting in a fashion that the nation and the soldiers can live with after battle. They are, however, completed in the heat of battle and are rarely prosecuted. It is only the individual soldier who must hold himself accountable for his actions most of the time. Executions cold blood, however, are another matter entirely.

“We define ‘execution’ as the close-range killing of a noncombatant, civilian or POW, who represents no significant or immediate personal threat to the killer. The effect of such killed on the killer is intensely traumatic, since the killer has limited internal motivation to kill the victim and kills almost entirely out of external motivations. The close range of the kill severely hampers the killer in his attempt to deny the humanity of the victim and severely hampers the denial of personal responsibility for the kill. This story was told to me by a veteran of the Cloud deathwatch:
We had attacked the group trying to leave and took a woman prisoner. I’d already told my men we took no prisoners, but I’d never killed a woman. “She must die quickly, we must leave!” my sergeant said. Oh god, I was sweating. She was magnificent.

“What’s the matter, chuunin?” she asked. “You’re sweatin’”

“Not for you,” I said. “It’s just a malaria recurrence.” I gave my bolter to my sergeant, but he just shook his head. None of them would do it, and if I didn’t I’d never be able to control that unit again.

“You’re sweatin’, chuunin,” she said again.

“Not for you,” I said. Then…I blew her fuckin’ head off.

My platoon all gathered round and smiled.

Bii-Ryu set his notes down and peered at the class.

“The close-range murder of the innocent and helpless is the most repulsive aspect of war, and that which resides within man and permits him to perform these acts is the most repulsive aspect of mankind. Altohugh we must not permit ourselves to be attracted to it, nor can we, in our revulsion, ignore it. I hope that by giving you a look at this ugliest aspect of war, you might be able to know it, name it, and confront it.”

He picked the notes back up, and continued.

“Compared to soldiers of the Imperial Army or Navy, what do you think the nonfiring rate of Cloud shinobi is? Fifty percent? Forty? Try five percent. And every day in the Academy, your sensei strive to bring that rate down to zero. A firing rate of 15 to 20 percent among soldiers is like having a literacy rate of 15 to 20 percent among proofreaders. Once those in authority recognized the existence and magnitude of this problem, they set about to solve it.

“Since the end of the Waterfall Wars, Cloud and a few other armed forces have conducted an intense campaign of psychological warfare, not on the enemy, but on us – you. When S. L. A. Marusha was sent to the Water Country conflicts to make an investigation into firing rates like he had done in the Waterfall Wars, he found that as a result of new training techniques initiated as a result of his prior work, 55 percent of infantrymen were now firing their weapons, and in certain circumstances, almost everyone was. These training techniques were further improved, and by the time of the Civil War in Lightning, the firing rate was around 90 to 95 percent. The triad of methods used to achieve this remarkable increase in killing are: desensitization, conditioning, and denial defense mechanisms.
We’d run PT [physical training] in the morning and every time your left foot hit the deck you’d have to chant “kill, kill, kill, kill.” It was drilled into your mind so much that it seemed like when it actually came down to it, it didn’t bother you, you know? Of course the first one always does, but it seems to get easier – not easier, because it still bothers you with every one that, you know, that you actually kill and you know you’ve killed.

-Kogami Ayumu, ANBU Vice Commander

“Our modern training programs, with the deification of killing, were almost unheard of prior to the Waterfall Wars, uncommon in the Water Country Conflict era, increasingly present during the Bear-Marsh Wars, and now they are thoroughly institutionalized. As Fujinami Souseiki, former Main Branch Sennin and Academy Headmaster told me:
Most of the language used in the Aurora to describe the joys of killing people is bloodthirsty but meaningless hyperbole, and the students realize that even as they enjoy it. Nevertheless, it does help to desensitize them to the suffering of an “enemy,” and at the same time they are being indoctrinated in the most explicit fashion (as previous generations were not) with the notion that their purpose is not just to be brave or to fight well; it is to kill people.

“But desensitization by itself is not enough to overcome the average individual’s deep-seated resistance to killing. Indeed, this desensitization process is almost a smoke screen for the most important aspect of modern training, which is classical and sometimes operant conditioning. In short, behavioral engineering.

“The method used to train today’s Cloud shinobi as well as elite units of the Imperial Army and Navy, are nothing more than applications of conditioning techniques to develop a reflexive ‘quick-shoot’ ability. It is entirely possible that no one intentionally sat down to use operant conditioning or behavior modification techniques to train soldiers in this area, but from the standpoint of a psychologist who is also a historian and career soldier, it has become increasingly obvious to me that this is exactly what has been achieved.

“So, instead of lying prone in a grassy field calmly shooting or casting jutsu at a bull’s eye target, the modern Academy Student spends many hours standing in a foxhole or crouching behind cover, will full combat equipment draped about his or her body, looking over an area of lightly-wooded rolling terrain. At periodic intervals, one or two olive-drab, man-shaped targets at varying ranges will pop up in front of him for a brief time, and the student must instantly aim and shoot at the targets. When he hits a target it provides immediate feedback by instantly and very satisfyingly dropping backward – just as a living target would. Students are highly rewarded and recognized for success in this skill and suffer punishment (in the form of retraining, peer pressure, and failure to graduate) for failure to quickly and accurately ‘engage’ the targets – a standard euphemism for ‘kill.’

“In addition to traditional marksmanship, what is being taught in this environment is the ability to shoot reflexively and instantly and a precise mimicry of the act of killing on the modern battlefield. In behavioral terms, the man shape popping up on the field of fire is the ‘conditioned stimulus,’ and the immediate engagement of the targets is the ‘target behavior.’ ‘Positive reinforcement’ is given in the form of immediate feedback when the target drops if it is hit. In the form of ‘token economy’ these hits are then exchanged for marksmanship badges that usually have some form of privilege or reward (praise, public recognition, three-day passes, and so on) associated with them.

“Every aspect of killing on the battlefield is rehearsed, visualized, and conditioned. On special occasions even more realistic or complex targets are used. Balloon-filled uniforms moving across the kill zone (pop the balloon and the target falls to the ground), red-paint-filled milk jugs, and many other ingenious devices are used. These make the training more interesting, the conditioned stimuli more realistic, and the conditioned response more assured under a variety of different circumstances.
I changed the standard firing targets to full-sized, anatomically correct figures because no missing-nin runs around with a big white square on his chest with numbers on it. I put clothes on these targets and polyurethane heads. I cut up a cabbage and poured catsup into it and put it back together. I said, “When you look through that scope, I want you to see a head blowing up.”

-Morishima Haruka, ANBU Captain

“An additional aspect of this process that deserves consideration here is the development of a denial defense mechanism. Denial and defense mechanisms are unconscious methods for dealing with traumatic experiences. Prepackaged denial defense mechanisms are a remarkable contribution from modern Academy training.

"Basically, the shinobi has rehearsed the process so many times that when he actually does kill in combat he is able to, at some level, deny to himself that he is actually killing another human being. This careful rehearsal and realistic mimicry of the act of killing permit the shinobi to convince himself that he has only ‘engaged’ another target. One veteran of the Bear-Marsh war told me that he ‘thought of the enemy as nothing more or less than Figure II [man-shaped] targets.’ The former Main Branch Sennin, Takaki Masao, a veteran of many fights, combined this denial process with desensitization in his advice to young Deathwatch members:
You have a natural disinclination to pull the trigger or make the handseals when your weapon is pointed at another human. Even though their own life was at stake, most shinobi report having this trouble in their first fight. To aid in overcoming this resistance it is helpful if you can will yourself to think of your opponent as a mere target and not as a human being. In this connection you should go further and pick a spot on your target. This will allow better concentration and further remove the human element from your thinking. If this works for you, try to continue this thought in allowing yourself no remorse. A shinobi who will go missing and resist you with weapons has no respect for the rules by which decent people are governed. He is an outlaw who has no place in our society. His removal is completely justified, and should be accomplished dispassionately and without regret.

“It is essential to understand that one of the most important aspects of this process is that soldiers and shinobi are always under authority in combat. No army can tolerate undisciplined or indiscriminate firing, and a vital – and easily overlooked – facet of the soldier’s conditioning revolves around having him fire only when and where he is told to do so. All shinobi are conditioned throughout training and throughout their careers to fire only under authority. A boltershot or even worse, jutsu, cannot be easily hidden, and on the range during field training any shot at inappropriate times must be justified, and if it is not justifiable it will be immediately and firmly punished. This is one of the reasons that those of you with shinobi parents who are retired or otherwise returned to society within or without the village, are less likely to commit violent crimes than a non-shinobi of the same age or sex.

"Questions before the last round?"

Yoshida Tesshou

Yen
ASP
Deaths
[col]
It was a far cry to say that Tesshou was heartbroken over the lack of results, though he was left a bit disappointed. Perhaps it was individual research he could look into when he was not busy being a dog of his nation's militia. The transition in subject that soon followed his answer clearly indicated that they were entering the next round of information. As the teacher continued speaking, Tesshou continued translating his information into scribbles and code.

Now that he had an idea of the lecture structure, he knew to just keep track of the questions that came to mind. The ones that were answered during the round would be circled and erased after the unanswered questions were resolved or at least acknowledged. The subject matter had shifted from the possibility of killing to the act and results of. This was where the information seemed vital, though Tesshou still wondered what connotations the previously mentioned natural hindrance to killing one's own kind held for general intraspecies interaction. He would not feed the curiosity, however, out of fear of getting lost in all the new information.

The stages of killing proved to be interesting information, but even more eye-catching was the tidbit about the relationship between comrades who depended on each other for survival. Tesshou was no stranger to the subject matter of "community," as he had read a couple of his clan's traditional writing on psychology and this matter came up a lot with the discussion of identity. It became a curiosity, whether this bonding substantially enhanced one's ability to overcome that innate anti-killing intent. As he jotted down his question, he would find the discussion transitioning to the effect of perceived and actual distance to a victim and more questions came to mind. As the round concluded on "programmed killing," Tesshou ticked his three favorite questions before raising his hand.

"Uh, I have a few but I'll cut it down to two. I've heard of lonewolf soldiers who focus on nothing but getting the job done and pretty much neglecting any emotional obligation. As far as the stronger-than-marital bond between allies is concerned, is there any research that shows whether or not cases of PTSD are more prevalent in those that embrace these bonds as opposed to those who chose to remain isolated?" The teacher might notice Tesshou struggling a bit with his speech, as if he were fishing for the right words throughout his questions.

"And, as far as distancing yourself from the target goes, what is the psychological limit? I feel like you can dehumanize other human beings only so far before you subconsciously end up dehumanizing your allies and even yourself."
|[/col]

Kashino Yuu

Yen
ASP
Deaths
OOC Rank
S-Rank
PTSD, feeling after killing somebody, after effects... Yuu was completely confused over those big words. Yet, he somehow listened to his instructor without losing his head despite his limited knowledge and the fact that he didn't encountered someone killing others. Although now that he thought about it, if he did try to kill the bandit who almost endangered his siblings' lives, what will he feel first? Guilt? Pleasure? Or regret? Regardless, if the ninja who saved them hadn't come in time, he felt that he would made the worst mistake of his life. Even worst, everyone even his family will think of him as a monster.

But since he chose to become a ninja for the sake of his family's safety, Yuu knew that being a ninja means it's kill or be killed. But he didn't want to kill anybody, especially a Missing-Nin. Instead, he'll try his best to capture them and put them to justice. But missions that required to kill someone on the other hand, he didn't want to disobey it, yet he didn't want to kill anyone. But in any case, he might find out soon if he encounter this situation when he rank up.

Back to the subject in hand, the instructor once again accepting questions, but this time, Yuu has nothing to ask only for another 9 year old boy to ask a question, namely about loners and emotional limits. Nevertheless, he stayed quiet, since he was not a loner type. But just in case for him, he said, "Uh, I got nothing to ask, sir."

[MFT/WC: 261]

Aoki Maiko

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Sorry.. Havent been able to get on. ))

Round 1:
Maiko and Emiko glanced to the boy who had spoken to them, but did not reply. There was no point, as the Sensei would surely begin the lesson soon. A few others entered and took their seats. Maiko busied herself by sticking her nose in a book, while Emiko took her pencil and drew on her hand pointlessly.

Round 2:
Maiko shut her book as the Sensei began the lesson and jabbed Emiko with her elbow. The other girl stopped drawing on her hand and looked to the teacher. They listened to what was being said. When the teacher asked a question of the class, they glanced at each other, but did not reply. They simply listened to the replies of the other students. When the Sensei started up again , the returned their eyes to the front.

Round 3:
Maiko took in almost everything the teacher said, and at one point began jotting down fast notes in her notpad. Emiko on the other hand, fell alseep, with her head on the desk. Mako rolled her eyes, but kept listening to the teacher. When he asked if they had questions, eshe didnt raise her hand, but nodded along with questions from her others she agreed with.

Current Round:
Maiko jabbed Emiko with her elbow again, to wake the other up. Emiko woke up and glared at Maiko, but said nothing. Maiko returned to taking notes as the teacher talked, and kept Emiko awake with pokes. Emiko listened halfly to what was said, and watched the other students. She said nothing when the Sensei asked for questions, as did Maiko. They listened to the other's questions instead.

Sakaki Kensei

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Kensei sat and listened to the lecture with great interest. This Med-nin clearly knew his stuff and explained it in a simple to understand style. Well, simple for Kensei anyways. He enjoyed the part about PTSD and the stages that one goes through after killing. Kensei felt uneasy when he thought about what he would do in that situation. Will he be able to cut an enemy down? Or will he freeze up? And if he did manage to get that first kill, would he be able to live with it? Will he develop PTSD himself? This thought partially frightened him. He would never want to be put in a situation where he couldn't fully control himself. He wouldn't want to wake up with nightmares every night, or being a ticking bomb that could explode at any moment. The last thing he could ever see himself doing is hurting someone he cares about.

Then there was the alternative to that. Where instead of loathing himself for what he's done, instead he learns to love it. What if in the line of duty he acquires a taste for blood, and loses his humanity. That he could become a greater threat to his friends and loved ones than his enemies. This thought too also frightened him. Yet, Kensei shook all of these thoughts out of his head. He was determined to continue down the ninja path. There was good that he could do as a ninja. More good then he could probably do not being a ninja. That, and the fact that ninjutsu fascinated Kensei to no end.

[MFT]

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Some people needed to die, was what Chiyoko had ascertained from her Sensei's initial reply of the bookish student's question. That, even as a medic, one must employ themselves in a manner that helps their comrades, whether that meant patching them up or ending those who saught them harm. Made sense. Of course these were just words, words from a seasoned veteran who had probably seen more combat than most of the current forces of Kumogakure, he wasn't your average every day soldier. So it seemed apparent that what he was saying would be much easier in thought rather than in practice for the Academy stock, or most everyone actually. Not only to engage with rival combatants on the battlefield, but to also assess levels of danger in aiding their comrades. Ultimately this meant that some men had to be left upon the fields, face down in the damnable muds. A pertinent question shot through her mind as Sensei seemed to be drawing a close on answering his question, before moving on to the next. "So, how do you deal with deal with Survivor's Remorse? I mean, you've obviously seen a lot of combat, you had to have left a few good men behind, right?<i></i>" A brief mental image occured; Shinobi bringing a headband and a flag to a widow. Far more scarring than killing a man, she thought.

Next came the five stages of acceptance, the process of justifying killing another human being was a long and winding one, that ultimtately lead to some sort of rationalization, she wondered if people accepted their faults in killing another being or pushed their responsibilites off under the shroud of duty. Really, it mattered not for the purposes of continuing battle, but she couldn't help but think it unhealthy to shrug away their burdens in such a way. There was no doubt that such rationalizations would manifest themselves in negative way later in life, or so she thought. Then again, the young lass was no authority on psychology.

"It is though a human being is a weapon"​

That was what they were trained to be, weapons. The thought was macabre at best, dehumanizing at worst. In the game of war people were tools and weapons, the infantry being the tip of the blade, the auxiliary being the arrow's head, the vanguard was the tip of the hammer. Everything about the thought was rather disconcerting, seemed to be another form of rationalization to avoid the thought that when forces collided people were dying, not just an anonymous group of combatants, or tools. It was obvious she was digging far more into the statement than intended, but it was disconcerting none the less. The lecture lead back to the acceptance of killing combat, how it was rationalized to be "necessary and right", while it may be "necessary" it certainly wasn't always "right". Simply because someone kills under the guise of self-defense, duty, valor, vengeance, or most other matters did not justify the act, nor did it make it right. It was one thing to say, "You have to do what you have to do." rather than, "You have to do what you have to do, and you're right in doing so." that was utter shite. She would make sure to avoid such rationalizations should she one day have to kill a man.

The line between the ranks allowed for those of superior rank and stature and send their lesser brethren to their deaths, how cheery. Of course this was the truth of the matter and one of the many reasons the young Chiyoko had next to no respect for the systems of ranking between Shinobi, she would be damned before some prick with a better title would send her into a situation where she would die. Rank did not deserve respect, actions deserved respect. She couldn't help but think the portion on medals a bit funny, how humans needed validation so very much, that without it their psyche might shatter. That if someone didn't pat them upon the back and tell them they did the right thing that they would collapse. This lent credence to the fact that he had not done the right thing, he did not do well, and people did blame him.

The range at which one collided with their enemies no doubt had an effect on their psyche, it was no secret that it was easier to kill a group of insurgents a kilometer away without ever seeing them, rather than jamming a Wakizashi into someone's wind-pipe. The logic behind it seemed similar to the reasoning that during the executions of criminals a sack was placed over their face, if they did not look you in the eye, you couldn't tell their features, look upon their grief, they were no longer human. They were simply, animals or targets. When you moved closer toward your enemies the psychosis of killing was more likely to increase, the more you see of them the realer it gets, the more frightening, the more human. It was it this moment Chiyoko decided that if she were ever to go into war it would be with the vanguard, if she was going to kill a man it was going to be real. She would force herself to endure, to see what it truly was to kill a man no matter how unpleasant or disturbing the experience, the people on the other side of the blade at least warranted this. That their killer feel, something.

Most people did as asked under the banner of authority, as evidenced by the study which Sensei presented along with many other anecdotes throughout his lecture. Chiyoko couldn't help but wonder if she would also follow such orders so willingly, she had never been much for authority lauding over her and demanding she do one thing or another, often it bit right into her rebellious streak. Still, being told to engage in battle was far different from some guard telling her to stop loitering, or a teacher insisting she do some homework. It was a different scale entirely.

The rest of the lecture seemed to wax on the atrocities of war, horrible acts that were a mainstay in almost every major insurgence in the modern history of battle, atrocities that showed the darker side of the human psyche. She decided it best not to dwell too much on the subject, and frankly found herself tuning out a bit toward the end of the current portion of the lecture, a bit overloaded with information.

Once again she had no further questions, awaiting the last portion of the class.

Current Ninpocho Chronicles Time:

Back