Ninpocho Chronicles

Ninpocho Chronicles is a fantasy-ish setting storyline, set in an alternate universe World of Ninjas, where the Naruto and Boruto series take place. This means that none of the canon characters exists, or existed here.

Each ninja starts from the bottom and start their training as an Academy Student. From there they develop abilities akin to that of demigods as they grow in age and experience.

Along the way they gain new friends (or enemies), take on jobs and complete contracts and missions for their respective villages where their training and skill will be tested to their limits.

The sky is the limit as the blank page you see before you can be filled with countless of adventures with your character in the game.

This is Ninpocho Chronicles.

Current Ninpocho Chronicles Time:

Private The Choosing of the Mask [AiT Exam] [Part 2/2]

Yen
ASP
Deaths
OOC Rank
S
[Continued from: https://ninpocho.com/threads/there-is-something-on-your-neck-ait-exam-part-1-2.67920]

It began with a scroll...

Sketched out hastily across the roll of parchment that had been given to young Tanatsu Kino was a series of lines and dashes in carefully curated columns. Working out, from any young shinobi's days in the academy, that it was a physical depiction of Morse Code would reveal a set of instructions to the newly inaugurated Genin;
Shady instructions said:
  • Leave the village; do not be seen.
  • Circumnavigate the village's perimeter; do not be eaten.
  • At the base of the exterior of the Hokage Rock, may be found a small opening, housing a minecart.
  • Climb in and prepare yourself.
  • Ride into the heart of the mountain and behold.

If all were followed correctly and without incident, Kino would find himself arriving at a large circular room, with many different doors lining the curved wall, each looking like they had been carved from the rock around them. From the journey on the cart, it wouldn't take long to realise how huge this place must be in its entirety, not to mention the fact it had been built through the entire interior of the mountain which loomed over the village. It was quite the feat of modern engineering. If he were to step into the center of the room, the scroll of parchment which had led the boy here would suddenly become very hot, before immediately cooling, alerting him to the fact that, on the flip side, an easily readable paragraph;

Additional Shady Instructions said:

Ahead? Duty. Control.
Behind? Mundanity. Poverty.
Options? Three! Decide.
Choices? One. Contemplate.
Contemplate? Door. Poem.
Actions? Don. Mask.
Mask? Door! Enter.
Trial. Danger. Prepare.
Failure? Cruelty. Catastrophe.
Succeed? Welcome. Home.
Indecision? Stay. Rot.

Three doors seemed to stand out from the rest, equidistant from one another, each bearing what appeared to be a white, plain porcelain mask, each bearing a vague resemblance to a different animal, staring down at Kino with blank, hollowed-out eyes. They were, unmistakably, the masks used by members of the ANBU Black Ops, lit ominously by the torch brackets affixed to the wall other side of them. Below each, stuck to the door, was a slip of parchment, bearing the same jagged, rough handwriting as had the note;

Vulpine​
Canine​
Mustelid​
a.jpg

Pride, and poise, and clever disguises,
A fox’s wit outstrips surprises,
Faultless logic in every forum,
The very picture of quaint decorum,
Verve, and venom, and vicious vexation,
Undervalued at one’s own damnation,
Gallant, or glib, but always faithful,
Seeking peace in a manner quite graceful,
Peace and piety,
With modest sobriety,
Our work is concerned with preserving society.

If you embark upon the path of Diplomacy,
The mask embrace you.
aaa.jpg

Judge, and juror, and jaded jailor,
Sniffing out truth and hunting betrayer,
Tenacious, tedious, passionate, perfect,
Never failing to reach a verdict,
Steadfast, stalwart, incessant, insistent,
A good reason why ‘dogged’ means persistent,
Question, query, and seek solution,
Oversee each execution,
Snappy, sprightly, spirited, spry,
But temperate and tranquil, a talented spy,
Inquisitive, imperative,
Ardent, assured,
Silent saviour without witness, nor reward

If you embark upon the path of Inquisition,
The mask embrace you.
aa.jpg

Lithe, and little, and stealthy, slippery,
An abject artisan of weaponised trickery,
Quiet and quaint, and steps without sounds,
The weasel’s chicanery knows no bounds,
Cutthroat, callous, and coldly calculating,
Waiting, watching, and heart pulsating,
Slicing, and slitting, and slyly slaying,
Cover their mouth to shush the braying,
Vanquish and vanish,
Fleeting and fast,
Either hailed a hero, or sorely outcast.

If you embark upon the path of the Assassin,
The mask embrace you.

The three masks seemed to peer down at Kino, watching him intently, and although these seemed to be the only vaguely humanoid faces in the room, the Genin would certainly have a strange feeling, not so much like something was watching, but breathing right down the nape of his neck, waiting with bated breath to see what he would do. There didn't seem to be any other way out now.

Indecision? Stay. Rot.

Chikamatsu Nashi

Yen
ASP
Deaths
OOC Rank
B
Kino began to translate the coded message, his mind clearing as he deciphered each line. The instructions were clear enough for him to follow, though the secret nature of the note made him worry about it's source. He did as instructed, following the exact route describe with an effort to lay low and take it slow. This seemed to be far from a first one there scenario, and much more how focused he could be on the task. He would eventually arrive at the cart and taking a deep breath he would hop aboard activating the mechanism to release himself into the heart of the mountain.

The air rushed past his face as the cart made its way, he nervously gripped the edge of the cart waiting for any moment the old rusted bucket to buckle under the speed and weight. Arriving in the heart, he was relieved to step off the cart at last, looking around to get a lay of the land. Noticing all the things described above, he knew what this was, he knew what it meant, and he knew in this moment that he would take a step toward something much greater than himself. He looked at the options laid out before him, debate heavy in his mind.

On one hand he could rule out assassination as a goal of his, it was far too dirty work for his fortitude. He also saw no honour in it, which was becoming more and more a driving force in his day to day decision making. While he could rule out one, the other two he was having trouble with his decision. That is until he thought about what he himself wanted out of his life, and what he wanted to do for his village. He chose the canine mask without a second thought. Sure, he was charismatic as any other teenage boy, being not at all, but he also knew where his use was. In his hands he found purpose, and with them he'd find the ability to help others. He would open the door and pray he had not made a mistake.

Yen
ASP
Deaths
OOC Rank
S
Interesting choice....

The feeling of being intensely watched would intensify, closing in around the keen-eyed boy as he selected his mask and slipped it on over his face. There was one last thing for the boy to do now, and it was designed to test whether he was worthy of admission. The door all but melted away at Kino's touch and granted him entry to the chamber within.

The room was spacious but bare. It was made of solid concrete, and there was a single light, dangling overhead above a figure seated in the middle of the room. As soon as Kino entered, he would hear the sounds of struggling and panting, like someone trying to free themselves from a bind. There was a man, bound to a chair, wrists fastened to the armrests, legs fastened to legs. The man wore a mask. A familiar mask. The very same mask in fact, that Kino's night-time intruder had worn, bearing the semblance of a wolf, decorated with blue streaks. Spotting Kino, he struggled even harder, so much that his mask slipped. Beneath it was not Keiyaku, nor anyone the boy would recognise. It was a teenage boy, no older than 16 or 17, and he had a look in his eye much like that of a stray fox about to become intimately acquainted with the cultivator of a combine harvester. On the other side of the room, many sharp, painful-looking implements lined the walls, ready for use.

"H-Hey! I didn't do shit! It was them! Th-They made me do it!"

The teenager's eyes passed over the masked figure before him, and he seemed to shrink into himself.

"I s-s-swear! They just wanted me to rattle your cage a little, okay? Scare you a bit to get you here..! H-how was I supposed to know your orphanage would explode?!"

There was a note taped to the man's chest, clearly written:
Third Shady Instruction said:

Five Minutes to reach a verdict.
Guilty
or
Not Guilty?
No methods are off-limits.

"L-Look... j-just lemme go! You'll never have to see me again or nothin'!"

Although the man begged, there would seem, to the keen-eyed Kino, to be something slightly superficial about it. The man's eyes kept darting left and right between sentences.

Chikamatsu Nashi

Yen
ASP
Deaths
OOC Rank
B
Kino stepped forward and looked confused, he hadn't heard an explosion, hadn't felt one, could it be possible that his home right this moment was laid in ruin. He had five minutes to find out the details, he needed to remember the class that he was given by Ayeka and what she taught him about breaking body, mind, and spirit. But in this moment this was not only that, it was a personal matter as well. How could someone be expected to preside judgement over something that effected them on such a level, it didn't matter that was his task. His job was to decide the verdict of a man, no a boy, who could be responsible for countless lives. Regardless of if it was true or not he would need to think of how to get the information he needed. He walked close to the individual tied to the chair, close enough his steaming breathe would be hitting the boys face as he spoke.

"tell me then, who it was. I want names, details, you have two minutes to convince me you're not the one at fault. If you cannot provide evidence enough for me to believe you, or for me to assume you're being forthcoming.. Then I will spend the next two minutes getting any and every detail out of you through force. I have no interest in breaking you, you'd say anything for pain to stop. It's why these things don't work. But if what you say is true, then convince me to not put an end to you pathetic life right here and now. You are charged with killing nearly one hundred children if this is true, which.. times ticking."

Kino kicked his foot into the chair between the boys legs, tipping it gently backward and waiting for him to speak. It didn't really matter what words would leave his mouth, so long as there was a name. Any name would be the point where kino would decide to stop him from speaking, if one was not provided he'd interrupt him and say the word, "name" over and over until he had gotten one.

The pivotal moment was about to come, if a name was provided before two minutes had passed he'd move on to the next part sooner, if not at the two minute mark he'd need to begin something he'd ultimately hate himself for doing. But this crime he was accused of was something so heinous that it would require him to break the boy, to make sure that he knew exactly how serious this was. There was very little that could be offered freely that would be believed, Kino was not naive enough to listen to ramblings and cries from a dead man. However, it was to get the mouth moving, and allow him to know that he could and would talk if it meant the pain would stop.

Any time he was provided with a sentence that was not a name he'd pull the chair to him and land a punch across the face of the person. He wanted a name, if what he said was true then someone else was responsible, if he'd give them up it may take the full time but Kino would get his name. He'd wrap his hands each time between the boys speaking, tightening the fist to make contact all that much more painful. He wanted answers, so usual methods would prove unnecessary and cruel, this was easy and far kinder than the implements on the wall. But at that two minute mark he'd need to turn up the anti, looking for the sharpest smallest item he could find. That was what came next, if Kino did not get what he wanted.

Yen
ASP
Deaths
OOC Rank
S
"I s-s-swear I don't know any names!! It was my Captain!... h-he... he calls himself Jackal... Ga-gave me his stupid mask a-and..."

The teenager's eyes darted to the floor, where the mask, notably bearing the familiar visage of a wolf, had slipped from his face. His eyes slowly moved to level with Kino's as the guy tilted his chair back suddenly, causing him to gasp with surprise. From this position, it was quite easy to spot a tattoo on the side of his neck, one that had not been there when the masked man had confronted Kino before.

"He t-told me to send a message.... to s-scare you.... and tell you to c-come here... But then... You... you... you went beserk on me! Some.... chakra or something.... it all came spilling out of you and I got scared. Y-You c-came rushin' at me, so I jumped out of the window and.... it all caught fire!"

There was a flicker of a smirk on the boy's face for a fraction of a second, his expression forcing itself back effortlessly into one of abject fear, "please, Kino... you gotta remember this, right?! You d-d-d-don't believe me?! Ja-Jackal told me to get you a-angry... t-to provoke you... 'cause he KNEW you'd flip out and..."

It had been about the a minute by this point, and the suspect was still fruitlessly gabbling away, begging for his life, or at least, begging for his fingers not to be lopped off. To a mind as analytical and hungry for details as Kino's, he would likely notice that the boy wasn't sweating, despite his pleading, and through all this, there were no throbbing veins around his temples or throat. In fact, his heart rate was almost completely at rest. What was more, despite the pleadings, his words had a sort of... scripted tone to them.

"I-It was that thing on your n-neck.... that Curse Mark! Jackal knew it'd activate if I got you mad! I had no idea that you even had the damn thing! He sent me in as a damn suicide bomber!"

Chikamatsu Nashi

Yen
ASP
Deaths
OOC Rank
B
Kino set the chair back on the ground correctly and looked the kid over once more. "So, there was no fire. You didn't do anything, and you aren't who came into my room. If the story was supposed to be it was you, they should have covered the tattoo on your neck first. I have no interest in convicting someone who has actively only lied to me as a crime. You're body language is obvious, words too clean, if this is a test you should at least have a better actor than this. It was believable at first, but then you got sloppy and now it's far too obvious."

Kino crossed his arms and waited a moment before speaking again. "Innocent. That is my verdict"

He had noted all the signs, the sloppy scripted speech, the lack of nerves yet pleading, it was all faked so he needn't waste any more time on the matter. He had gotten everything he needed within one minute of standing in the room with this suspect. Maybe Kino did have a future in this line of work, though he thought he beat not get cocky about it already when this was such an obvious situation. Best to wait and find out if he was correct, he knew he was but he still could have missed a detail. As far as he was concerned this may as well have been a clone sitting in front of him, it's only job to rattle him now and make him second guess himself, but he would not. His answer was final, an absolute.

Yen
ASP
Deaths
OOC Rank
S
There was a ringing silence after Kino pronounced his verdict. A pin seemed to drop. The man's facade fell at once.

"Ahahahahaha! It was that easy?! C'mon, you guys are losing your touch," the teenager said, a wide grin stretching across his face as he looked up at his interrogator, his tone very cold, and devoid of any fear now, "all I had to do was steal a little information to cover my ass, and it was pretty damn easy to set those bom-"

The man vanished in a puff of smoke, out of nowhere, leaving Kino in the room, all alone. Suddenly, there was a sound like a boulder being rolled over concrete, followed by a slow, rhythmic clapping. Behind the ANBU candidate, stood Jackal, donning his familiar Wolf Mask, slitted eyes staring down imperiously at the young man.

"You did very well, pup," he said, and it wasn't hard to tell that his mask was hiding a grin, "please rest assured, this whole scenario was fictitious, a Genjutsu in fact, so your orphanage is perfectly safe. Though, you were not correct; it was more likely he was Guilty. You fixated on the tattoo too much, ignoring that he had knowledge of your Curse Mark, and knew your name, pointing to the fact that he must've stolen a mission report or a personnel file. What is more, he claimed I gave him my mask, which an Agent would never give to anyone else. It was more likely he stole it in order to pin the blame on me."

The masked man circled Kino a few times, as though he was inspecting livestock, watching him from every angle.

"Though your line of questioning was very forthright and well-thought-out, I must admit. You noticed some very fine details. I dare say though, you shouldn't show so much restraint; some slightly tougher interrogation tactics might've broken through that layer of sociopathy he displayed right at the end there. On the whole, very impressive, pup. This whole exercise was not about whether you were correct, but your ability to think logically, while under emotional pressure; you were good at thinking with your cortex, and not your squishy, fallible feelings."

Jackal stepped forward and pressed a hand to Kino's back, shoving him forward towards another door.

"Keep that mask on, kid. From now on, you hide behind it. You are about to divide your life in two; your day-to-day shinobi life, and your work with us. Never the twain shall meet. You are sworn to secrecy from this day forth. Do I make myself clear, pup?"

Down a few corridors, up a few stairs, left down one hallway, right down another, down a set of stairs, up another set. This place was truly labyrinthine, but Jackal seemed to know the way intuitively.

"Corvus!" Jackal called, knocking on a door before slipping it open and marching his student inside, moving to stand closer to the Raven-masked man, "I caught some fresh meat. He ain't half-bad as an Inquisitor. If ya don't mind, I'd like to scoop him up into my branch. But, you're the boss, it's your call, sir."

[Calling Keiji]
[Recommended Kino to ANBU Sennin for promotion to AiT]

Last edited:

Keiji

The Unfortunate Overlord
Staff member
Yen
ASP
Deaths
OOC Rank
S-Rank
The room would be dimly lit by a small window at the top. The mirrors inside directing moonlight within. The walls are bare cement with no adornments or pictures In the middle is a single worktable with stacks upon stacks of papers, behind a sombre snore. A small justle as the door is closed behind them seems to jolt his senses and the snore stresses and ends quickly. A rusty dark voice came from behind the papers "Wha-? Who?"

A white, raven beaked mask appeared to lift itself up from behind it, as the person there straightened their back. Slowly, in a single steady motion the mask lifted itself up as if it wasn't connected to a body, except all that was visible was a dark silhuette, like the shadows had condensed around and below the mask to form a humanoid shape. The shape seemed stopped at a height almost incomprehensibly inhuman, like this person Jackal was introducing to Kino was a giant of a beast.

The white mask's hollow eyes seemed to first adjust its angle like a carnevorous bird assesing its next victim to swoop in for the kill, its eyes stared first to Jackal, then adjust again with intense precision and speed to stare down to Kino. If Kino concentrated and looked back to the mask, at the furthest point within the black hollow eyes, a faint blue light could be seen within each of them.

The moment of silence lasted for maybe 5 seconds, but it could just have easily felt like a minute or more if one were feeling threatened by him. Slowly the inhuman shape lowered its height again to a more normal one and as the glow behind the mask subsided a dark and warm voice came from behind the mask.
"I see." The white beaked mask returned to staring to Jackal.
"He's your responsibility, I approve of your judgement."
The mask returned down to Kino. "Are you ready for what this branch may make you do? What your responsibility is in all of this?"

If Kino replied positively to this question a simple nod, or a full reply.
The white mask would nod in return in awknowledgement to it. "It's done then."

[Joined]
[Promotion to AiT for Kino: Do you aceept?]

Chikamatsu Nashi

Yen
ASP
Deaths
OOC Rank
B
Kino watched as Jackal circled him, listening to every detail said. The realization of what had happened during his investigation clicking, how could he have missed such details, such simple things that would have added up to a guilty verdict. He, of course, knew this was his first time and as such he'd not have likely been correct in the allotted time frame but even still that stung with some weight. He looked up to Jackal as he asked his question, having to finally sit with the thought of the reality of what it meant to be Anbu. He hadn't truly made friends, there was not relationship developing, there was not a real reason for him to hesitate. But knowing that if he ever wanted any of those things it would require him to lie to those he'd call close made it sit heavy in his chest.

He nodded to Jackal, "I understand."

He stood and watched as the beaked mask assessed him only a moment later, a second time being judged by his salt. He knew that whatever was behind the mask was going to have final say, or Jackal would not have asked. He waited holding his breath for what felt like an eternity in anticipation, but finally hearing what he needed to hear from the masked figure. He would simply nod, not wanting to speak and show any nerve in his voice, he was still a child after all behind this mask. He was begining the next chapter of his life and with tehat he'd be ready for anything.

[sorry for the delay with holidays]
[accepted!]
[mft 262]

Current Ninpocho Chronicles Time:

Back