Ninpocho Chronicles

Ninpocho Chronicles is a fantasy-ish setting storyline, set in an alternate universe World of Ninjas, where the Naruto and Boruto series take place. This means that none of the canon characters exists, or existed here.

Each ninja starts from the bottom and start their training as an Academy Student. From there they develop abilities akin to that of demigods as they grow in age and experience.

Along the way they gain new friends (or enemies), take on jobs and complete contracts and missions for their respective villages where their training and skill will be tested to their limits.

The sky is the limit as the blank page you see before you can be filled with countless of adventures with your character in the game.

This is Ninpocho Chronicles.

Current Ninpocho Chronicles Time:

To Kill [Class: ANBU/Mednin/Students]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Takaki Saeko

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Alright, this is second to last round of posts from me. All those who haven't done at least two rounds, this is the time.

Nara-NPC_zpsb0a5a210.jpg

cloud_medninchief.gif
Bii-Ryu nodded at Saizo and Junko.

“Thank you for the question. I believe that you are asking me and the group if there is a fundamental difference between people who can and do kill and people who cannot or do not. Firers versus nonfirers, so to speak. The simplistic answer is that there is very little innate difference – remember that only 15 to 20 percent of soldiers actually fired their weapons during the Waterfall Wars, but that by the time of the recent Lightning Civil War, that number went to almost 90 percent. Clearly, in the intervening years, the entire composition of the Imperial Army, Imperial Navy, and Kumogakure Shinobi Corps did not just become ‘natural born killers’. Rather, what happened was that armies realized how to identify and exploit environmental, cultural, and situational factors to turn more nonfirers into firers.

“Some of those factors were: the demands of authority, the absolution of the group, the distance from the victim, and the predisposition of the killer. All of these factors provide a powerful set of tools to bypass or overcome the soldier’s natural resistance to killing. However, as we will see later, the higher the resistance bypassed, the higher the trauma that must be overcome in the subsequent rationalization process.

“Before we go further, however, I noticed that most of you who responded to me earlier have not killed another human being in close combat before. Also, one of you asked me if the fact that he was enjoying combat and the prospect of killing was normal or not. I think this is important point to discuss what it actually feels like to kill, and what some of the normal responses actually are.

“About thirty years ago, a mednin psychiatrist published some famous research on death which revealed that when people are dying they often go through a series of emotional stages, including denial, anger, bargaining, depression, and finally, acceptance. From my interviews with veterans over the last two decades as well as from many historical narratives I have read, I have found a similar series of emotional response stages to killing in combat.

“The basic stages are: 1) concern about killing 2) the actual kill 3) exhilaration 4) remorse, and 5) rationalization and acceptance. These stages are generally sequential but not necessarily universal. Some individuals may skip certain stages or blend them, or pass through them so fleetingly that they do not even acknowledge their presence. Many veteran soldiers actually tell me that this process is similar to, but much more powerful than that experienced by first-time hunters.

“One of the soldier’s first emotional responses to killing is a concern as to, whether at the moment of truth, he will be able to kill the enemy or will ‘freeze up’ and ‘let his buddies down.’ All of my interviews and research verify that these are deep and sincere concerns that exist on the part of most soldiers, and it must be remembered that only 15 to 20 percent of Lightning Country Imperial Army soldiers went beyond the first stage.

“As far as the actual killing stage, it is usually completed in the heat of the moment, and for the modern, properly conditioned shinobi soldier, killing in such a circumstance is most often completed reflexively, without conscious thought. It is as though a human being is a weapon. As an ANBU operator named Asazaki Enma wrote, ‘Two shots. Bam Bam. Just like we had been trained in the Academy. When I killed, I did it just like that. Just like I’d been trained. Without even thinking.’

“It is not unusual for soldiers to immediately feel some sense of exhilaration or euphoria, even after a kill in close combat. In fact, combat adrenaline and the pleasure and satisfaction gained from dropping a target can make deadly combat actually quite an enjoyable experience. When the Raikage Aion fought in the Waterfall Wars against Wind Country tribesmen in the western theater he shot and killed a charging enemy on the first day of the campaign. ‘I suppose it is brutal,’ he wrote, ‘but I had a feeling of the most intense satisfaction as the wretched Turk went spinning down.’ Aion the Dawnbringer’s words are echoed by many combat veterans, who tell me again and again that fighting brings ‘satisfaction.’

“There are a few individuals who fixate on the exhilaration stage and seek more experiences in combat, and more kills. However, for the vast majority of soldiers in combat, everyone associated with killing in combat eventually reaps a bitter harvest of guilt. The media and propagandists’ depiction of violence tries to tell us that men can easily throw off the moral inhibitions of a lifetime – and whatever other instinctive restraint exists – and kill casually and guiltlessly in combat. However, the men and women who have killed, and who will talk about it, tell a different tale:
”Killing is the worst thing that one man can do to another man. It’s the last thing that should happen anywhere.”

-Royal Marine Lieutenant.

“I reproached myself as a destroyer. An indescribable uneasiness came over me. I felt almost like a criminal.”

-Waterfall-era Rain Country genin.

“This was the first time I had killed anybody and when things quieted down I went and looked at a Kaminarijin I knew I had shot. I remember thinking that he looked old enough to have a family and I felt very sorry.”

-Kagoshiman insurgent after his first kill.

“It didn’t hit me all that much then, but when I think of it now – I slaughtered those people. I murdered them.”

-Lightning Imperial Army veteran.

“And I froze, ‘cause it was a boy, I would say between the ages of twelve and fourteen. When he turned and looked, all of a sudden he turned his whole body and pointed his autobolter at me, and I just opened up, fired the whole twenty rounds right at the kid, and he just laid there. I dropped my weapon and cried.”

-Cloud ANBU Captain.

“Finally, the next stage in a soldier’s emotional response to killing is a lifelong process in which the killer attempts to rationalize and accept what he has done. In some cases, this process may never truly be completed. The killer never completely leaves all remorse and guilt behind, but he can usually come to accept that what he has done was necessary and right. A stunning example of this can actually be seen in the collected journal entries of one of Cloud’s most famous rogue shinobi, Yukimura Enishi. Here he writes about his first deployment to suppress a rebellion in one of the Lightning Colonies in the sea of Kirigakure:
As I approached the building the sound of moaning, punctuated by deep laughs, was clearly audible. The rear of the church contained two small dirty windows at eye level, through which I looked. Although the interior of the church was dark by comparison with the blazing outdoors sunlight, I could pick out the forms of two naked islanders torturing a young Tenouzan woman whom I assumed to be a nun or a teacher. She had been stripped naked and was stretched out in the aisle of the church, arms pulled tightly over her head by the rebels, while the other knelt on her stomach and repeatedly touched her nipples with a burning cigarette. She had burn marks on her face and neck as well. Uniforms of the Katangese Gendarmerie were thrown over the back of a pew, and female garments were scattered near the door. A bolter lay in the aisle beside the young woman. Another bolter had been left leaning against the wall near the uniforms. There appeared to be no one else present in the church.

On my signal we burst into the cathedral, our bolters on full-auto.

“Stand still,” I bellowed. “Kumogakure ANBU; you’re under arrest.” I didn’t want to do it that way, but damn it, I was still a shinobi, and subject to the Raikage’s Regulations and Orders.

The rebels bounded to their feet to face us, eyes staring wildly. I carried a Santaru-Taji 15, which I leveled at the two naked men. We were no more than four meters apart.

The one who had been holding the nun’s arms was visibly shaking with fear, his eyes flying uncontrollably about the room. In a second they rested on the bolter lying in the aisle. The nun had rolled onto her stomach, clutching her breasts and rocking from side to side, moaning in pain.

“Don’t be a fool, man,” I cautioned. But he did it anyway.

In a burst of panic he emitted a loud, piercing wail and dove for the bolter. Landing on his knees he grabbed the weapon, and turning his terrified face to mine, attempting to bring his weapon to bear. My first burst caught him in the face, the second full in the chest. He was dead before he fell over, a body missing most of its head.

The second terrorist began to wave his arms frantically up and down, like a featherless black bird attempting to take flight. His eyes kept flitting back and forth between the muzzle of the ST-15 and his own weapon, which was leaning against the wall a good ten feet away.

“Don’t do it, don’t do it,” I ordered. But he emitted a loud “Yaaaa…,” and scrambled for the bolter. I warned him again but he grabbed the weapon, worked the action to place a bolt in the chamber, and began to swing his muzzle toward me.

“KILL HIM, GODDAMIT,” screamed Cpl Hinata, who had now entered the church behind us. “KILL HIM, NOW!”

The rebel terrorist was now fully facing me, desperately attempting to swing the long-barrel of the bolter across his body to align it with my chest. His eyes locked on mine – wild, frantic eyes surrounded by fields of white. They never left mine, not even when the powerful bolter rounds tore into his stomach, walked up his chest, and cut the carotid artery on the left side of his neck. His body hit the floor with a thud, blown apart by the blast of the ST-15, and still the eyes remained riveted to mine. Then his body relaxed and eyes dilated, blind in death.

Prior to Okonda, I had not killed a human being. That is, I did not know for sure that I had killed. When one is firing at moving, shadowy figures in the confusion of battle one cannot be certain of the results. At Bridge 19 I had killed many men when I detonated the charges, blowing an enemy convoy to kingdom come, but somehow the incident was not psychologically close. They were a long way off, and the cover of night hid their shapes and movement, their very humanity. But here at Okonda it was different. The two men I killed were practically within arms’ reach, I could see their facial expressions clearly, even hear their breathing, see their fear, and smell their body odor. And the funny thing was that I didn’t feel a damn thing!

There had been two nuns at Okonda: the young one we saved, and the older one we didn’t. When I first entered the church I was standing slightly behind the altar, and off to the left side. From that position I couldn’t see the front of the altar, a rather large affair made of rough-hewn wood with a cross towering above it. Perhaps it was a good thing I could not, for the rebels had used the altar to butcher the old nun.

They had stripped her naked, but had not assaulted her sexually, probably because she was elderly and obese. Instead, they sat her upright with her back to the altar, and nailed her hands to it in an apparent mimicry of a crucifixion. Then they cut off her breasts with a bayonet, and, in a final act of savagery, drove the bayonet through her mouth into the altar behind, impaling her in an upright position. Evidence of a struggle showed that she had not died instantly from the bayonet wound, but had probably succumbed to the loss of blood from the wounds on her chest. She had a Tenouzan man’s penis and testicles showed partially in her vagina. Her severed breasts were not present.

We found the owner of the male genitalia tied spread-eagle in the middle of the village compound, with the nun’s breasts attached to his chest with sharpened sticks.

Before we departed Okonda the young nun asked to meet with the soldier who had saved her life. She was clothed now, and had cleaned up a little bit with the help of our mednin. I was surprised how young she was – early 20s or younger. She required a number of sutures in her vagina, and would need burn treatments as well. I didn’t admire her decision to remain in enemy territory when she was given ample opportunity to leave, but I did admire her spunk. When we met she looked me in the eye and said, “Thank God you came.” She had been badly beaten, but not defeated.

As for me, I had turned 14 only two days previous, and still suffered from the native upbringing of a good Raiden-worshipping family. I lost a lot of that upbringing at Okonda. There was no honor here, no virtue. The standards of behavior taught in the homes, churches, and schools of Lightning Country had no place in battle. They were mythical concepts good only for raising of children, to be cast aside forever from this moment on. No, I didn’t feel guilt, shame, or remorse at killing my fellow man. I felt pride!

-Yukimura Enishi

“Yukimura was able to overcome and rationalize his experience, and it formed the basis for much of his view on killing and fighting for the rest of his career in Kumogakure. For many others, it is not as easy, and a common, recurring trouble that many shinobi tell me about is that their dreams are full of people they have killed,” he said, sipping the cooling coffee.

“So with all of this resistance toward killing, and knowing the emotions and costs associated with it, you’d think that no one would ever be killed in war, or that two percent of all soldiers and shinobi actually perform a hundred percent of the killing. But as I have told you, there are ways in which the resistance to killing can be overcome, and all military organizations exploit these processes in order to gain a tactical edge over their enemies. So what are they?

“First, numerous studies have concluded that men in combat are usually motivated to fight not by ideology or hate or fear, but by group pressures and processes involving 1) regard for their comrades, 2) respect for their leaders 3) concern for their own reputation with both and 4) an urge to contribute toward the success of the group.

“Repeatedly, we see combat veterans describe the powerful bonds that men forge in combat as stronger than those of husband and wife. Tagiushi Moro, current Regent Commander of the ANBU, described it this way:
This is going to sound really strange, but there’s a love relationship that is nurtured in combat because the shinobi next to you – you’re depending on him for the most important thing you have, you life, and if he lets you down you’re either maimed or killed. If you make a mistake the same thing happens to him, so the bond of trust has to be extremely close, and I’d say this bond is stronger than almost anything, with the exception of parent and child. It’s a hell of a lot stronger than man and wife – your life is in his hands, you trust that person with the most valuable thing you have.

“This bonding is so intense that it is fear of failing these comrades that preoccupies most combatants. Countless sociological and psychological studies, the personal narrative of numerous veterans, and the interviews I have conducted clearly indicate the strength of a soldier’s concern for failing his or her buddies. The guilt and trauma associated with failing to fully support men and women who are bonded with friendship and camaraderie on this magnitude is profoundly intense. Yet every soldier and every leader feels this guilt to one degree or another. For those who know they have not fired while their friends died around them, the guilty can be traumatic.

“In turn, the responsibilities of a combat leader represent a remarkable paradox. To be truly good at what he does, he must love his men and be bonded to them with powerful links of mutual responsibility and affection. And then he must ultimately be willing to give orders that may kill them.

“To a significant degree, the social barrier between officer and enlisted man, and between sergeant and private, or in our case, Sennin and Jounin, and Chuunin and Genin, exists to enable the superior officer to send his men into mortal danger and to shield him from the inevitable guilt associated with their deaths. Even the best leaders make some mistakes that will weigh forever on their consciences. Every good combat leader thinks, at some level, that if he had just done something different, that perhaps the men under his command might not have died. However, this is a deadly, dangerous line of thought for leaders, and the honors and decorations that are traditionally heaped on military leaders at all levels are vitally important for their mental health in the years that follow. These decorations, medals, mentions in dispatches, and other forms of recognition represent a powerful affirmation from society, telling him that he did well, he did the right thing, and that no one blames him for the lives lost in doing his duty.”

Bii-Ryu sipped from his cooling coffee once more, as he paced around the room.

“Besides the expectations and dynamics of the group, another extremely important factor in enabling killing is simple distance.

“The link between distance and ease of aggression is not a new discovery. It has long been understood that there is a direct relationship between the empathetic and physical proximity of the victim, and the resultant difficulty and trauma of the kill. This concept has fascinated and concerned soldiers, poets, philosophers, anthropologists, and psychologists alike.

“At the far end of the spectrum are artillery and long-range jutsu, which are often used to illustrate the relative ease of long-range killing. As we draw to the near end of the spectrum, we begin to realize that the resistance to killing becomes increasingly more intense. This process culminates at the close end of the spectrum, when the resistance to bayoneting or stabbing becomes tremendously intense, and killing with bare hands through common jutsu such as crushing the throat with a blow or gouging a thumb through the eye and into brain become almost unthinkable.
The shinobi could now kill his collective enemy, which included women and children, without ever seeing them. The cries of the wounded and dying went unheard by those who inflicted the pain. A man might slay hundreds and never see their blood flow.

Less than a century after the Waterfall Wars ended, a single A-rank jutsu, cast kilometers away from its target, could take the lives of an entire city, almost all civilians. The moral distance between this event and the tribal warrior facing a single opponent is far greater than even the thousands of years and transformations of culture that separate them.

-Takagi Masao, Imperial Historian.

“Throughout the recent Lightning Civil War, arbalestillery crews and shinobi killed thousands of people at maximum range. Women, children, and elderly people, no different from their own wives, children, and parents. These individuals were able to bring themselves to kill these civilians primarily through the mental leverage provided to them by the application of distance. Intellectually, they understood the horror of what they were doing. Emotionally, the distance involved allowed them to deny it. From a distance, you don’t look like a friend. From a distance, I can deny your humanity.

“Indeed, many an arbalestillery man who has destroyed large numbers of terrified noncombatants has never felt any need for repentance or regret. And numerous historians note that there has never been any difficulty in getting arbalestillery men or Imperial Navy men to kill. It is the intervention of distance and machinery beween them and the enemy. They can pretend they are not killing human beings.

“The next level of distance is ‘long range,’ which is defined at the range at which the average soldier may be able to see the enemy, but is unable to kill him without some form of special weaponry – sniper weapons, anti-armor jutsu, or bombardment from war-wagons. Takagi Masao tells of a Kagoshiman Conflict Lightning sniper recalling how, after shooting a Kagoshiman insurgent, ‘ a queer thrill shot through me, it was a different feeling to that which I had when I shot my first wolf as a boy. For an instant I felt sick and faint, but the feeling soon passed.’

“Note that here we begin to see some disturbance at the act of killing, but snipers doctrinally operate as teams, and like maximum-range killers they are protected by the same potent combination of group absolution, mechanical distance (the sniper scope), and physical distance. Their observations and the accounts of their kills are strangely depersonalized and different from those we will see at closer ranges.

“Next, we will call ‘midrange’ that range at which the soldier can see and engage the enemy with bolter fire or intermediate-range jutsu while still unable to perceive the extent of the wounds inflicted or the sounds and facial expressions of the victim when he is hit. In fact, at this range a soldier can still deny that it was he who killed the enemy. When asked about his experiences, one Waterfall War veteran told me that ‘there were so many guys firing, you can never be sure it was you. You shoot, you see a guy fall, and anyone could have been the one that hit him.’

“Most of the above applies to to grenade or explosive note range, which can be anywhere from a few meters to as many as thirty or forty meters. Again, the main factor is that killers do not have to see their victims as they die – in fact, if you are within visual range of an explosive note, you may become a victim of it. However, if soldiers proceed to look at their victims of either bolter or mid-range jutsu fire, then they risk incurring a significant amount of psychiatric trauma. Especially for the aftermath of grenade use.

“At close range, which is less than a few meters, the euphoria stage we discussed earlier still appears to be experienced in some form by most soldiers. Most combat veterans I have interviewed will admit to having experiences a brief feeling of elation upon succeeding in killing the enemy. Usually, however, this euphoria stage is almost instantly overwhelmed by the guilt stage as the soldier is faced with the undeniable evidence of what he has done, and the guilt stage is often so strong as to result in physical revulsion or vomiting.

“A soldier killing at close range is by its very nature an intensely vivid and personal matter. Saito Akira, a former ANBU Sennin and veteran of the October Rebellion, vividly described his own psychological response to a close-range kill.
I was utterly terrified – petrified – but I knew there had to be a sniper in the small fishing shack near the shore. He was firing in the other direction at ANBU in another battalion, but I knew as soon as he picked off the people there, that he would start picking us off. And there was nobody else to go…and so I ran toward the shack and broke in and found myself in an empty room. There was a door which meant that there was another room and the sniper was in that – and I just broke it down. I was just absolutely gripped by the fear that this man would expect me and would shoot me. But as it turned out he was in a sniper harness and he couldn’t turn around fast enough. He was entangled in the harness so I shot him with a .45 and I felt remorse and shame. I can remember whispering foolishly, “I’m sorry” and then just throwing up…I threw up all over myself. It was a betrayal of what I’d been taught since a child.

“Often times, the death inflicted on the enemy during a close-range kill is not instant, and the killer finds himself in the position of comforting his victim in his last moments. During the Demon Invasion of Cloud, there were a significant number of human adversaries from the ranks of the Cabal, who also attempted to invade Cloud during the Hitokage’s campaign. Masashiku Tama, a Cloud ANBU at the time, tells of a remarkable incident that happened during a raid.
All of a sudden there was a guy firing a pistol bolter right at us. It looked as big as a 175 [mm arbalest] just then. The first round hit the chuunin on my left in the chest. The second round hit me in the right arm, although I didn’t know it. The third round hit the genin on my right in the gut. By this time I had bounced off the wall to my left.

I charged the [Cabalist], firing my ST-15. He fell at my feet. He was still alive but would soon die. I reached down and took the pistol bolter from his hand. I can still see those eyes, looking at me in hate…

Later, I walked over to take another look at the Cultist I had shot. He was still alive and looking at me with those eyes. The flies were beginning to get all over him. I put a blanket over him and rubbed water from my canteen onto his lips. That hard stare started to leave his eyes. He wanted to talk but was too far gone. I lit a cigarette, took a few puffs, and put it to his lips. He could barely puff. We each had a few drags and that hard look had left his eyes before he died.

“A Jounin commando who was a veteran of the Civil War once put it this way when describing combat to me: ‘When you get up close and personal,’ he drawled while chewing a cud of tobacco in his cheek, ‘where you can hear ‘em scream and see ‘em die,’ and here he spit the tobacco for emphasis, ‘it’s a bitch.’

“Finally, as we bring the physical distance spectrum to its culmination point, we must realize that killing with a knife is significantly more difficult than killing with a spear, sword, or bayonet attached to a bolter. Many knife kills are performed from behind, and are less traumatic than a kill performed from the front, since the face and all its messages and contortions are not seen. But what is felt at the bucking and shuddering of a victim’s body and the warm sticky blood gushing out, and what is heard is the final breath hissing out.

“We in Cloud, along with armies in other nations, train our shinobi to execute a knife kill from the rear by plunging the knife through the lower back and into the kidney. Such a blow is so remarkably painful that its effect is to completely paralyse the victim as he quickly dies, resulting in a silent kill.

“This kidney strike is contrary to the natural inclination of most soldiers, who – if they have thought about the matter at all – would prefer to slit the throat while holding a hand over the victim’s mouth. This option, although psychologically and culturally more desirable (it is a slashing rather than thrusting blow), has far less potential for silence, since an improperly slit throat is capable of making considerable noise and holding a hand over someone’s mouth is not always an easy thing to do. The victim has a capacity to bite, and many experienced shinobi had told me of accidentally cutting their own hands while trying to cut an enemy’s throat in the dark.

“So far, however, we have been talking about only mechanical distance. There are in actuality many more types if distance that are utilized by militaries to further enable killing, even from close physical distance. These include:

“Cultural distance, such as racial and ethnic differences, which permit the killer to dehumanize the victim; Moral distance, which takes into consideration the kind of intense belief in moral superiority and vengeful/vigilante actions associated with many civil wars; and finally Social distance, which considers the impact of a lifetime of practice in thinking of a particular class as less than human in a socially stratified environment.

Bii-Ryu did not even bother with the coffee anymore. It had cooled beyond recognition.

“In addition to distance, another key factor in overcoming resistance to killing is the presence and demands of authority. Medical Sennin Taji Yuki’s experiments in a controlled laboratory environment cound that more than 65 percent of her subjects could be manipulated into inflicting a seemingly lethal electric charge on a total stranger. Subjects sincerely believed that they were causing great physical pain, but despite their victim’s pitiful pleas for them to stop, 65 percent continued to obey orders, increase the voltage, and inflict the shocks until long after the screams stopped and there could be little doubt the victim was dead. Prior to her experiment, Taji asked a group of mednin and psychologists to predict how many of her subjects would use the maximum voltage on the victim. They estimated that a fraction of 1 percent would do so. They, like most people, really didn’t have a clue.

“Many underestimate the influence of authority and leadership in enabling killing on the battlefield, but those who have been there know better. A study by Isaki Kushin investigated the factors that would make a soldier fire. He found that the individuals who had no combat experience assumed that ‘being fired upon’ would be the critical factor in making them fire. However, veterans listed ‘being told to fire’ as the most critical factor.

“A tremendous volume of research also indicates that another primary factor that motivates a soldier to do the things that no sane person wants to do in combat (that is, killing and dying), is not the force of self-preservation, but a powerful sense of accountability to his comrades on the battlefield. Among soldiers who are bonded together so intensely, there is a powerful process of peer pressure in which the individual cares so deeply about his comrades and what they think of him that he would rather die than let them down.

“In addition to creating a sense of accountability, groups also enable killing through developing in their members a sense of anonymity that contributes to further violence. In some circumstances, this process of group anonymity seems to facilitate a kind of atavistic killing hysteria as can be seen in the horrendous mass-murders that took place in Water Country. This can also be seen in the animal kingdom. Kaguya Daisuke’s research describes scenes from the animal kingdom that show that senseless and wanton killing does occur. These include the slaughter of gazelles by hyenas, in quantities way beyond their need or capacity to eat, or the destruction of gulls that could not fly in a stormy night and thus were ‘sitting ducks’ for foxes that proceeded to kill them beyond any possible need for food. He points out that ‘such senseless violence in the animal kingdom is shown by groups rather than by individuals.’

“A profound diffusion of responsibility can be caused by the anonymity created in a crowd. It has been demonstrated by dozens of studies that bystanders will be less likely to interfere in a situation in direct relationship to the numbers who are witnessing the circumstance. Thus, in large crowds, horrendous crimes can occur but the likelihood of a bystander interfering is quite low. However, the bystander is alone and is faced with a circumstance in which there is no one else to diffuse the responsibility to, then the probability of intervention is very high. In the same way, groups provide a diffusion of responsibility that will enable individuals in mobs and soldiers in military units to commit acts that they would never dream of doing as individuals. Acts such as lynching someone because of the color of his skin or shooting someone because of the color of his uniform.

“Now, of course, these are the mechanisms by which the vast majority of humans are enabled to kill. Armies have spent centuries developing and reinforcing these mechanisms. However, Takagi and Nakamura’s study of the Waterfall Wars noted the existence of 2 percent of combat soldiers who are predisposed to be ‘aggressive psychopaths’ and apparently do not experience the normal resistance to killing and the resultant psychiatric casualties associated with extended periods of combat. However, the negative connotations associated with the term ‘psychopath’ are inappropriate here, since this behavior is a generally desirable one for soldiers in combat.

“There is strong evidence that there exists a genetic predisposition for aggression. In all species the best hunter, the best fighter, the most aggressive male, survives to pass his biological predispositions on to his descendants. There are also environmental processes that can fully develop this predisposition toward aggression; when we combine this genetic predisposition with environmental development we get a killer. But there is another factor: the presence or absence of empathy for others. Again, there may be biological or environmental causes for this empathic process, but whatever its origin, there is undoubtedly a division in humanity between those who can feel and understand the pain and suffering of others, and those who cannot. The presence of aggression, combined with the absence of empathy, results in sociopathy. The presence of aggression, combined with the presence of empathy, results in a completely different kind of individual from the sociopath.

“A veteran shinobi I interviewed told me that he thought of most of the world as sheep: gentle, decent, kindly creatures who are essentially incapable of true aggression. In this veteran’s mind there is another human subspecies (of which he is a member) that is kind of a dog: faithful, vigilant creatures who are very much capable of aggression when circumstances require. But, according to his model, there are wolves (sociopaths) and packs of wild dogs (gangs and aggressive armies) abroad in the land, and the sheepdogs (the soldiers and policemen of the world) are environmentally and biologically predisposed to be the ones who confront these predators.

“Some experts in the psychiatric community think that these men are simply sociopaths and that the above view of killers is a romanticization – at worst, it can cause needless deaths in peaceful society when those who view themselves as ‘sheepdogs’ attempt to enthusiastically and violently intervene in a situation when a more restrained approach would have sufficed.

“Personally, I believe that there are individuals out there, specifically prominent shinobi such as the Raikage Hayata, who are armed and vigilant, but would not misuse or misdirect their aggression any more than a sheepdog would turn on his flock. But in their hearts, many of them yearn for a righteous battle, a wolf upon whom to legitimately and lawfully turn their skills. Historian Nakamura Akihiko speaks of this yearning:
This urgent calling of nature longs to be tested, seeks to be challenged beyond itself. The warrior within us beseeches Raijin, the god of war, to deliver us to that crucial battlefield that will redeem us into the terrifying immediacy of the moment. We want to face our Hitokage so that we may be reminded that the warrior Ryuuto is alive, in us. We pray to the war gods to guide us to the walls of Kumogakure so we may dare the steadfastness and strength of our trumpet call. We aspire to be defeated in battles by powers so much greater than ourselves, that the defeat itself will have made us larger than when we arrived. We long for the encounter that will ultimately empower us with dignity and honor… Be not mistaken: the longing is there and it’s loving and terrible and beautiful and tragic.

“As far as whether this viewpoint represents a gallant desire to protect others or is merely a disguise for childish thuggery, I leave it up to you to interpret,” said Bii-Ryu.

“Are there any questions so far?”

Shu

Yen
ASP
Deaths
The response coming from the children were not surprising considering how inexperience they were. Most of them had experience very tragic moments in their youths. It would appear that this was a trademark that every academy student faced. Shin could only hope that they did not turned out like he did whe he was growing up. As a child he was so willing to take a life without hesitation like how a tool never questions its task at hand. Now Shin's frame of mind was sharper still maintaining that he was a tool but a tool of self-sacrifice.

A student with curly lack hair and rectangular glasses inquired difference in age when it comes to killing, especially between children and young adults. Bii-Ryu responded stating that there are significant differences however there are no credible evidence that could prove it. He mention that it easier for children to condition their minds especially considering a young mid is still in the midst of developing. Bii-Ryu was correct with his assertions; in fact children could be far better assassins than adults to their physiology. However, that not the reason why children were selected to be shinobi than adults.

After the children made their responses Bii-Ryuu continued his lecture. He made some points that he was fully aware after his extensive historical study with war especially the fabled Waterfall war. In general, posturing or intimidation was a natural reaction for most people in the violent circumstances. Most men would not attack in a definitive sense only stare at each other as people will say. Bii-Ryu provided many examples to support his thesis. It was humorous to note that most of these men crossed Shin's path in some way.

Bii-Ryu paused for a moment to ask if any of the students had any questions. Most of them remained silent absoring all of the material except the two young boys in front. The same boy with the curly black stated his question superciliously addressing his superior as a equal. Somehow the boy reminded Shin of himself when he was a little boy.

Regardless, Shin massaged their questions noting their similarities. They asked what are the main difference between intimidation/nonfirer and aggressor/firer. One could say the question was vague but clear when it was reformatted by Bii-Ryu. There was indeed a difference but like any method of division men would use only physical factors. In time, proficient soldiers could be made through environmental, cultural, and situational. In reality, there were various factors that it would be near impossible to surmise. Perhaps, the long eulogy that Bii-Ryu proved that fact.

Bii-Ryu ended his response with the familiar inquiry: “Are there any questions so far?”

Shin lifted his pen alerting his presence to his comrade. "Bii-Ryu-senpai, you addressed several factors for docile men become killers; however, what contributions would social class have in this regard?" She spoke. His loud commanding voice echoed from the back to the front ensuring that the whole class could hear.

Takahashi Ren

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Ren had to shift her palm so it was covering her mouth as the lecture went on. The plain words she could handle - they sounded clinical, detached, like a textbook being spoken aloud. But the quotes and the pieces pulled out from the journals of people who had once sat in classrooms just like this one…those, she had a hard time stomaching. It made killing feel too real - like if she closed her eyes she could imagine herself holding a knife and jabbing it with smooth precision into a breathing, living being.

Somehow, Ren kept drinking in the words even as her thoughts spiraled down, down, down. She'd known logically that this world was filled with death and killing, and that was fine because it hadn't involved her. Now it did, and she was starting to wish she could rewind time and remain as a small child for many more years to come.

I think, she thought slowly as she listened to Nakamura's words, that there's nothing gallant about that. Encounters don't give you dignity and honor. You do that. No one has to die for that, no one should have to kill for that…

But for once, she kept her thoughts to herself. This wasn't a typical classroom where she could shove her opinions down someone's throat until they agreed; Ren was way out of her league here and admitted to it. Here, it seemed that she was the odd one out, the one who would prefer to get through her entire ninja career without having to once take a life. So she bit her lip, kept quiet, and paid attention as a man a little ways away from her asked a question. She vaguely noticed that he appeared to much older than the other students but didn't think much of it beyond that. She idly wondered if she should scramble together a question, and quickly decided against that. Knowing Ren, the only words that would come out of her mouth would be something along the lines of: 'wanting to kill is stupid and it's not necessary and it's stupid,' and that wouldn't help anything.

Yen
ASP
Deaths
The class continued, and Jo continued to take notes; hearing, writing, and silently murmuring. The textbook information was interesting, but Jo found the stories told by the soldiers particularly so. It was like hearing his fathers stories again, and it made him feel more connected to the soldiers who told them. It was a comforting thought to know that the way he felt was normal; he didn’t want to kill anyone, but he also didn’t want his fear to control his actions. He needed to be able to kill as automatically as a machine, but he didn’t want to lose his humanity in doing so; the dictionary definition of a catch-22. There was another pause for questions; and this time, there was a new voice in the class room. Jo hadn’t even noticed the man enter the room and sit just down the row from him. Jo recognized him immediately.

It was the Raikage…

It was the freakin’ Raikage!

Jo had seen his picture in the paper once or twice, had heard stories and knew of his power; but he never thought he’d be sitting in the same room with him! Sure, maybe in a mission briefing if he lived long enough to climb through the ranks and was good enough to be assigned to something S-Rank; but just sitting in a classroom and listening to a lecture with a bunch of students? This was the most powerful shinobi in the village, maybe even the world! With a word he could send Jo to fight, kill, and die just like soldiers in the anecdotes; or order him killed on a whim. Yet, here he was, looking for all the world to be a completely normal person sitting in on a lecture.

Jo shook what he assumed was a dumbstruck look from his face and, in turn, reset his mind from “stupid villager” mode to “educated intellectual” mode. Of course the Raikage was just a normal person. He’s human, just like everyone else in the room. Beneath the titles and the political power and combat prowess, he was just like him. Only he did have the power and the title, and sometimes a title was a power in and of itself. Jo didn’t know why; but, knowing that his Commander-in-Chief was once like him, just another grunt at the Academy… It made everything seem like it was going to be all right.

Jo didn’t have any delusions about becoming the Raikage someday (though he honestly hadn’t given his military career much thought outside choosing a branch), but he did know that if Hayata Shin could live with the choices he made, with the responsibility of commanding the most elite fighting force in the world, with the knowledge that he was sending kids like Jo to fight, kill and die for reasons they didn’t know or understand; then Jo could sure as hell handle his first kill, and his second, and his third, and as many more as it took to survive, to protect the citizens who couldn’t protect themselves, and to earn the honor of returning home alive.

Ryu Hime

Yen
ASP
Deaths
OOC Rank
S-Rank
So much lecture; this guy went on and on. The amount of information was too much for Kirito. The constant drone of his voice made him tired and eventually fell asleep, thus leaving Shimete alone in the front row. Kirito lays his head on Shimete lap sleeping peacefully. Shimete on the other hand was scribing notes like a mad woman. She had filled her composition book half already with just this guy’s lecture. She didn’t felt like saying anything, but just kept jotting down notes, which she will most likely use to reteach the lesson to her master Kazuma.

Takaki Saeko

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Nara-NPC_zpsb0a5a210.jpg

cloud_medninchief.gif
“Thank you for your question,” said Bii-Ryu to Shin, in the same professional, casual tone he used with all of the other students who had spoken thus far. It would only embarrass the man to call out his presence unnecessarily to the others in class. “Along with moral and cultural distance, social distance is one of the non-mechanical means of removing a soldier’s sense of empathy which may inhibit the ability to kill. Remember that the majority of the Imperial Army’s line infantry are composed of commoners, and most of the armed forces raised by landed nobility are in actuality land-bound serfs who have been called to active duty by their local Lord. Army Officers, Cavalry, War Wagon Commanders, and Artillery Officers are mostly nobility themselves or highly-educated or wealthy freeman commoners. The serf who looks down his spear or bolter at the enemy and sees another hapless serf very much like himself is not particularly inclined to kill his mirror image. So thus, the great majority of killing in battles was and still probably is done by those elites I mentioned before – the nobility, particularly those with the means to kill from a distance, are the real killers in battles, usually in the pursuit phase of the battle. Among the things that aid them in doing so is social distance.”

Bii-Ryu looked around briefly, and saw that there were no more questions, although several of the students seemed to be listening with uncharacteristically rapt attention. Usually, in a lecture-based academy class, half of those present would be attempting to sneak messages back and forth, practice destructive jutsu, or simply sleeping. However, even the old Nara physician had to conclude that this was unlike many other lectures. He noted the reactions of two of the students near the back row – a boy who seemed to be writing obsessively in a notebook (save for the sole crumpled piece of paper laying at his feet), and the smudgy-looking girl from earlier with the mussed-up hair. Her expression had turned a shade of dour, which was in keeping with the theme of this class, anyway.

“Finally, I’d like to briefly touch on two last things – first, murder and atrocity in warfare, and second, how the village of Kumogakure teaches you personally how to kill, and what you should take from it.

“As Takagi Masao says in the introduction to Modern Shinobi Warfare, ‘The basic aim of a nation at war is establishing an image of the enemy in order to distinguish as sharply as possible the act of killing from the act of murder.’ However, the problem of distinguishing murder from killing in combat is extremely complex, and it is one of the things that most plagues new shinobi who have been forced to kill, often for the first time in their lives, and especially when it is not an obviously defined enemy solder firing back at them. They often tell me that ‘I never signed up for this shit. I never thought I’d be one of those evil bastards committing atrocities I’d only read about in books about the Waterfall Wars or something.’

“First, we usually define ‘atrocity’ as the killing of a noncombatant, either an erstwhile combatant who is no longer fighting or has given up, or a civilian. But modern war, especially guerilla warfare, makes such distinctions blurry. In order to help tackle this issue, I think we should examine atrocity as a spectrum of occurrences rather than a precisely defined type of occurrence.

“Anchoring one end of the spectrum of atrocity is the act of killing an armed enemy who is trying to kill you. While this is not actually atrocity, it serves as a standard against which other kinds of killing can be measured. The enemy who fights to a ‘noble’ death validates and affirms the killer’s belief in his own nobility and glory of his cause. Thus, a Waterfall Wars Lightning Officer could speak admiringly of the Fire Country soldiers who remained faithful unto death: ‘Topping fellows. Fight until they are killed. They gave us hell.’ And Raikage Shinbatsu immortalized in prose the Demon infantry who stood firm against his forces during the rout of the Hitokage’s forces during the invasion: ‘I grew proud of the enemy who had killed my brothers. They were leagues from home, without hope and without guides, in conditions bad enough to break the bravest nerves. Yet their sections held together, sheering through the wrack of Cloud shinobi like armored ships, high-faced and silent. When attacked they halted, took position, fired to order. There was no haste, no crying, no hesitation. They were glorious.’

“When it comes to ambushes and guerilla warfare, this is a gray area. The enemy represents no immediate threat to the killer, but is killed anyway, without opportunity to surrender. Tagiushi Moro provides an excellent example of such a kill: ‘They didn’t know I existed, but I sure as hell saw them. This is one fucked-up way to die, I thought as I squeezed softly on the trigger.’ Such a kill is by no means considered an atrocity, but it is distinctly different from a noble kill and potentially harder for the killer to rationalize and deal with. Ambush kills are rare in combat, and many civilizations partially protected themselves and their consciences by declaring such forms of warfare dishonorable. But this is the primary means by which we shinobi are doctrinally taught to fight.

“Next in the spectrum, we have the close-range murder of prisoners and civilians during war. Although it is a demonstrably counterproductive action (executing enemy prisoners stiffens the will of the enemy and makes him less likely to surrender), it often does happen in the heat of battle. Among the ANBU, the usual policy in combat is to ‘never take prisoners’, even when intercepting a runner at the gate. And for the other branches, when it is impractical to take prisoners during operations behind enemy lines, there is an unspoken agreement that prisoners have to be ‘taken care of.’ But in the heat of battle, it is not really that simple. In order to fight at close range, one must deny the humanity of one’s enemy. Surrender requires the opposite – that one recognize and take pity on the humanity of the enemy. A surrender in the heat of battle requires a complete, and very difficult emotional turnaround by both parties. The enemy who opts to posture or fight and then dies in battle becomes a noble enemy. But if at the last minute he tries to surrender he runs a great risk of being killed immediately. Takagi writes at length on this process:
Surrendering during battle is difficult. Aion the Dawnbringer suggested, ‘No soldier can claim the right to quarter if he fights to the extremity.’ Santaru Ryuuto saw several Cabalist arbalesters shot during the Demon Invasion. ‘They were defenseless, but they have chosen to make themselves so. We did not ask them to abandon their weapons. They only did so when they saw that those who were not mown down were getting closer to them and the boot was now on the other foot.’

Santaru Rin agreed that the defender had no moral right to surrender in these circumstances: ‘the defending force, after driving their bolts into the attacking one at five paces distance, must take the consequences. A woman cannot change her feelings again during the last rush with a veil of blood before her eyes. She does not want to take prisoners but to kill.’

During the cavalry action at Chipyong-Ni, Akira Saito saw how difficult it was to restrain excited men. ‘There was a bit of a melee, horses neighing and a lot of shouting and yelling. I remember seeing Corporal Ouja run his lance right through a dismounted Marsh who had his hands up and thinking it was a rather bad thing to do.’

Kawakita Ryo, a mednin on the Western Front, read a letter written by a young soldier to his mother. ‘When we jumped into their trench, mother, they all held up their hands and shouted ‘Camerad, Camerad’ and that means ‘I give in’ in their language. But they had to have it, mother. I think that is all from your loving Takao.’

In short, no soldier who fights until his enemy is at close small-arms range, in any war, has more than perhaps a fifty-fifty chance of being granted quarter. If he stands up to surrender he risks being shot with the time-honored comment, ‘Too late, chum.’ If he lies low, he will fall victim to the grenades of the mopping-up party, in no mood to take chances.

“Yet Takagi concludes that the consistently remarkable thing in such circumstances is not how many soldiers are killed while trying to surrender, but how few. Even under this kind of provocation, the general resistance to killing runs true. Surrender-executions are clearly wrong and counterproductive to a force that has dedicated itself to fighting in a fashion that the nation and the soldiers can live with after battle. They are, however, completed in the heat of battle and are rarely prosecuted. It is only the individual soldier who must hold himself accountable for his actions most of the time. Executions cold blood, however, are another matter entirely.

“We define ‘execution’ as the close-range killing of a noncombatant, civilian or POW, who represents no significant or immediate personal threat to the killer. The effect of such killed on the killer is intensely traumatic, since the killer has limited internal motivation to kill the victim and kills almost entirely out of external motivations. The close range of the kill severely hampers the killer in his attempt to deny the humanity of the victim and severely hampers the denial of personal responsibility for the kill. This story was told to me by a veteran of the Cloud deathwatch:
We had attacked the group trying to leave and took a woman prisoner. I’d already told my men we took no prisoners, but I’d never killed a woman. “She must die quickly, we must leave!” my sergeant said. Oh god, I was sweating. She was magnificent.

“What’s the matter, chuunin?” she asked. “You’re sweatin’”

“Not for you,” I said. “It’s just a malaria recurrence.” I gave my bolter to my sergeant, but he just shook his head. None of them would do it, and if I didn’t I’d never be able to control that unit again.

“You’re sweatin’, chuunin,” she said again.

“Not for you,” I said. Then…I blew her fuckin’ head off.

My platoon all gathered round and smiled.

Bii-Ryu set his notes down and peered at the class.

“The close-range murder of the innocent and helpless is the most repulsive aspect of war, and that which resides within man and permits him to perform these acts is the most repulsive aspect of mankind. Altohugh we must not permit ourselves to be attracted to it, nor can we, in our revulsion, ignore it. I hope that by giving you a look at this ugliest aspect of war, you might be able to know it, name it, and confront it.”

He picked the notes back up, and continued.

“Compared to soldiers of the Imperial Army or Navy, what do you think the nonfiring rate of Cloud shinobi is? Fifty percent? Forty? Try five percent. And every day in the Academy, your sensei strive to bring that rate down to zero. A firing rate of 15 to 20 percent among soldiers is like having a literacy rate of 15 to 20 percent among proofreaders. Once those in authority recognized the existence and magnitude of this problem, they set about to solve it.

“Since the end of the Waterfall Wars, Cloud and a few other armed forces have conducted an intense campaign of psychological warfare, not on the enemy, but on us – you. When S. L. A. Marusha was sent to the Water Country conflicts to make an investigation into firing rates like he had done in the Waterfall Wars, he found that as a result of new training techniques initiated as a result of his prior work, 55 percent of infantrymen were now firing their weapons, and in certain circumstances, almost everyone was. These training techniques were further improved, and by the time of the Civil War in Lightning, the firing rate was around 90 to 95 percent. The triad of methods used to achieve this remarkable increase in killing are: desensitization, conditioning, and denial defense mechanisms.
We’d run PT [physical training] in the morning and every time your left foot hit the deck you’d have to chant “kill, kill, kill, kill.” It was drilled into your mind so much that it seemed like when it actually came down to it, it didn’t bother you, you know? Of course the first one always does, but it seems to get easier – not easier, because it still bothers you with every one that, you know, that you actually kill and you know you’ve killed.

-Kogami Ayumu, ANBU Vice Commander

“Our modern training programs, with the deification of killing, were almost unheard of prior to the Waterfall Wars, uncommon in the Water Country Conflict era, increasingly present during the Bear-Marsh Wars, and now they are thoroughly institutionalized. As Fujinami Souseiki, former Main Branch Sennin and Academy Headmaster told me:
Most of the language used in the Aurora to describe the joys of killing people is bloodthirsty but meaningless hyperbole, and the students realize that even as they enjoy it. Nevertheless, it does help to desensitize them to the suffering of an “enemy,” and at the same time they are being indoctrinated in the most explicit fashion (as previous generations were not) with the notion that their purpose is not just to be brave or to fight well; it is to kill people.

“But desensitization by itself is not enough to overcome the average individual’s deep-seated resistance to killing. Indeed, this desensitization process is almost a smoke screen for the most important aspect of modern training, which is classical and sometimes operant conditioning. In short, behavioral engineering.

“The method used to train today’s Cloud shinobi as well as elite units of the Imperial Army and Navy, are nothing more than applications of conditioning techniques to develop a reflexive ‘quick-shoot’ ability. It is entirely possible that no one intentionally sat down to use operant conditioning or behavior modification techniques to train soldiers in this area, but from the standpoint of a psychologist who is also a historian and career soldier, it has become increasingly obvious to me that this is exactly what has been achieved.

“So, instead of lying prone in a grassy field calmly shooting or casting jutsu at a bull’s eye target, the modern Academy Student spends many hours standing in a foxhole or crouching behind cover, will full combat equipment draped about his or her body, looking over an area of lightly-wooded rolling terrain. At periodic intervals, one or two olive-drab, man-shaped targets at varying ranges will pop up in front of him for a brief time, and the student must instantly aim and shoot at the targets. When he hits a target it provides immediate feedback by instantly and very satisfyingly dropping backward – just as a living target would. Students are highly rewarded and recognized for success in this skill and suffer punishment (in the form of retraining, peer pressure, and failure to graduate) for failure to quickly and accurately ‘engage’ the targets – a standard euphemism for ‘kill.’

“In addition to traditional marksmanship, what is being taught in this environment is the ability to shoot reflexively and instantly and a precise mimicry of the act of killing on the modern battlefield. In behavioral terms, the man shape popping up on the field of fire is the ‘conditioned stimulus,’ and the immediate engagement of the targets is the ‘target behavior.’ ‘Positive reinforcement’ is given in the form of immediate feedback when the target drops if it is hit. In the form of ‘token economy’ these hits are then exchanged for marksmanship badges that usually have some form of privilege or reward (praise, public recognition, three-day passes, and so on) associated with them.

“Every aspect of killing on the battlefield is rehearsed, visualized, and conditioned. On special occasions even more realistic or complex targets are used. Balloon-filled uniforms moving across the kill zone (pop the balloon and the target falls to the ground), red-paint-filled milk jugs, and many other ingenious devices are used. These make the training more interesting, the conditioned stimuli more realistic, and the conditioned response more assured under a variety of different circumstances.
I changed the standard firing targets to full-sized, anatomically correct figures because no missing-nin runs around with a big white square on his chest with numbers on it. I put clothes on these targets and polyurethane heads. I cut up a cabbage and poured catsup into it and put it back together. I said, “When you look through that scope, I want you to see a head blowing up.”

-Morishima Haruka, ANBU Captain

“An additional aspect of this process that deserves consideration here is the development of a denial defense mechanism. Denial and defense mechanisms are unconscious methods for dealing with traumatic experiences. Prepackaged denial defense mechanisms are a remarkable contribution from modern Academy training.

"Basically, the shinobi has rehearsed the process so many times that when he actually does kill in combat he is able to, at some level, deny to himself that he is actually killing another human being. This careful rehearsal and realistic mimicry of the act of killing permit the shinobi to convince himself that he has only ‘engaged’ another target. One veteran of the Bear-Marsh war told me that he ‘thought of the enemy as nothing more or less than Figure II [man-shaped] targets.’ The Main Branch Sennin, Takaki Masao, who is a veteran of many fights, combines this denial process with desensitization in his advice to young Deathwatch members:
You have a natural disinclination to pull the trigger or make the handseals when your weapon is pointed at another human. Even though their own life was at stake, most shinobi report having this trouble in their first fight. To aid in overcoming this resistance it is helpful if you can will yourself to think of your opponent as a mere target and not as a human being. In this connection you should go further and pick a spot on your target. This will allow better concentration and further remove the human element from your thinking. If this works for you, try to continue this thought in allowing yourself no remorse. A shinobi who will go missing and resist you with weapons has no respect for the rules by which decent people are governed. He is an outlaw who has no place in our society. His removal is completely justified, and should be accomplished dispassionately and without regret.

“It is essential to understand that one of the most important aspects of this process is that soldiers and shinobi are always under authority in combat. No army can tolerate undisciplined or indiscriminate firing, and a vital – and easily overlooked – facet of the soldier’s conditioning revolves around having him fire only when and where he is told to do so. All shinobi are conditioned throughout training and throughout their careers to fire only under authority. A boltershot or even worse, jutsu, cannot be easily hidden, and on the range during field training any shot at inappropriate times must be justified, and if it is not justifiable it will be immediately and firmly punished. This is one of the reasons that those of you with shinobi parents who are retired or otherwise returned to society within or without the village, are less likely to commit violent crimes than a non-shinobi of the same age or sex.

Bii-Ryui paused now, and finally set down his notes.

“Over and over again in my research and treatment of veteran shinobi and soldiers, I see a welcome trend that many of us now can be free to say that we were sickened by killing, and that saying so is a vital catharsis. As veterans share these narratives, they do not mean to say that the wars they fought in were wrong or that they regret what they did, but that they simply want to be understood. Understood not as mindless killers, and not as sniveling whiners, but as men and women who went to do the incomprehensibly difficult job their nation and village sent them to do and did it proudly, did it well, and all too often did it thanklessly. If there are any of these men and women in the room, I just want to say thank you to you and all of the veterans who have entrusted their experiences to me, and I hope that I can use your words to help people understand.

“Class dismissed.”

Takahashi Ren

Yen
ASP
Deaths
As Ren understood it, no one - or mostly no one - wanted to kill. It was a job required of them from the country they loved, and it was for that reason they stowed away their reservations and did what was asked of them. It made sense when she thought of it that way, because these people were soldiers and killing was part of their actual job description, but…

I still don't want to, she thought, almost childishly. She recognized that she was being too naive about this whole thing and that one day she would kill, but at the very idea of her putting an end to another human's life - she balked. It was like her mind skidded to a halt before some great wall, and lingered there until she thought of something else.

While she thought, the lecture wrapped up and the words 'class dismissed' were said. Ren glanced around, and eventually got out of her chair. Her mouth was a little dry from having kept quiet for so long (which was probably some kind of record), so she settled for giving their teacher a brief, wan smile as she pushed her chair back into its proper place.

I just…have to get stronger. Her brow wrinkled as she wandered out the classroom, her feet taking her in the opposite direction of her house. Ren wasn't one to grab for power or to push herself to be the strongest; she was content with average and had never had any reason to want to be any better. But…'average' wouldn't cut it anymore, would it? Average meant that she'd have to kill to get away with her own life, but maybe 'excellent' would be enough. If she became excellent, she could incapacitate instead and still keep her comrades safe.

She came to a stop at the end of the hallway, sighed, and then turned towards the training grounds. She didn't know much, but she knew enough to realize that excellence demanded rigorous training and studying and way more effort than she'd ever bothered to put into something.

[mft: 345]
[Topic Left]

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Jo finished his notes as the professor finished speaking, automatically capping his pen and closing the notebook. He sat for a moment in silent thought, remembering the months of training he had endured so far. He was an amazingly quick learner, and all his senseis so far had sung his praises (especially his academic advisor). Only now, after looking back on his experiences, did he notice that he was being constantly bombarded with desensitizing doublethink designed to make killing seem automatic. All the man shaped targets, the simulated blood sticking to his hands, the occasional surprise ambushes during flora and fauna classes… He knew they were preparing him to kill and thing on his feet, but didn’t think about the psychological effects the exercises were having on him.

Packing up his supplies, he stood and left the room as silent as he entered it, stealing a final glance at the Raikage before exiting the room. He paused in the hallway, leaning against one of the lockers and resting his head on the cool metal. He wanted to survive, but he didn’t want to lose his humanity. However, if he wanted to live, he’d have to become a killing machine. A wave of nausea hit him at the thought of taking a life, but he quickly bit it back. They had to die, and it was his responsibility as a chakra sensitive to become the weapon that killed them.

It was his burden, his duty.

Without thinking of where he was going, he automatically made his way to the training grounds. They were where he would become the killing machine he had to be, and where he’d fight himself in order to keep the humanity he wanted so desperately to cling to.

{Topic Left}
{MFT: 293}

Homura Akuma

Yen
ASP
Deaths
"Class dismissed. "

Saizo momentarily was sitting for a second in deep thought beside a blank stoic stare. Pondering within his mind as if he was at the tail end of processing the information sewn into his mind by Bii-Ryu. This class, this moment, and this time frame was a very enlightening stretch. He would have been foolish if he was just going to dismiss this as any other class. Especially for a ANBU in training like himself. What Bii-Ryu did was respected in the minds eye of the Kyoujouran. Baisically Bii-Ryu was passing on his legacy to the next generation. It was probably one his many ways he contributed to the war machine known as hidden village in the clouds.

The way the war worked and what came along with it was funny. In hindsight it's strange how man has developed all these tools and techniques for killing. Methods in which we naturally resist and are frightening at using them for their intented purpose. Instead through mental coercion we force ourselves to have the ability to snap and kill.

The young genin understood now. He didn't have to fear becoming some mindless killing machine. It wasn't in his nature, to kill was a science experiment that could be controlled with various variables. But like any scientific experiment things CAN get out of control if the variables invovled aren't properly measured or utilized.

The one variable that the AiT did notice throughout the countless examples given and personal traumatic accounts of these individuals. It was a deciding link that intertwined them all in a almost unoticeable way. Takaki Masao individual experience gave him that AH-HA! moment one has when they find a solution to a problem. The whole lecture Saizo was looking for a reason to justify being a killer. Sure he had gone through the ironhanded training of his Burakkupawa Specwar training and the harsh tutelage of Cloud's training system. The muscle memory, the desensitizing, etcetera that was needed to kill was obviously there, but for Saizo it has been all about the mindset.
"You have a natural disinclination to pull the trigger or make the handseals when your weapon is pointed at another human. Even though their own life was at stake, most shinobi report having this trouble in their first fight. To aid in overcoming this resistance it is helpful if you can will yourself to think of your opponent as a mere target and not as a human being. In this connection you should go further and pick a spot on your target. This will allow better concentration and further remove the human element from your thinking. If this works for you, try to continue this thought in allowing yourself no remorse. A shinobi who will go missing and resist you with weapons has no respect for the rules by which decent people are governed. He is an outlaw who has no place in our society. His removal is completely justified, and should be accomplished dispassionately and without regret."

So what was this variable Saizo had perceived?

Psychological build up.

This is what gave one the edge to take life. To 'snap'. It was common with sociopaths, it was a way to 'psyche up' themselves up for a mindless kill. But in return killings become blurred lines or they are blank moments like a blackout. He felt psychologically was the best way to execute a kill. It was a way to show no humanity and no sympathetic emotions. You kill enemies purely on emotions built of hatred and with their death you gain peace of mind through the release of your 'psyche up'.

With that Saizo already was constructing his mind to hate the "Crucifixion" if he had to....he would kill them all. And upon those very negative thoughts, the Kyoujouran left with his mood and aura shifting to one of malice.

[MFT]
[Thread Exit]

Tsuyoshi Junko

Yen
ASP
Deaths
“The close-range murder of the innocent and helpless is the most repulsive aspect of war, and that which resides within man and permits him to perform these acts is the most repulsive aspect of mankind. Altohugh we must not permit ourselves to be attracted to it, nor can we, in our revulsion, ignore it. I hope that by giving you a look at this ugliest aspect of war, you might be able to know it, name it, and confront it.”

Junko nodded he took each and every word spoken to the heart. "If I must kill, then with each murder I will repent to the gods. I will never let this corrupted world take over me."<i></i> as the class continued, Junko seemed to be attuned to each word, as if he was studying them.

“Over and over again in my research and treatment of veteran shinobi and soldiers, I see a welcome trend that many of us now can be free to say that we were sickened by killing, and that saying so is a vital catharsis. As veterans share these narratives, they do not mean to say that the wars they fought in were wrong or that they regret what they did, but that they simply want to be understood. Understood not as mindless killers, and not as sniveling whiners, but as men and women who went to do the incomprehensibly difficult job their nation and village sent them to do and did it proudly, did it well, and all too often did it thanklessly. If there are any of these men and women in the room, I just want to say thank you to you and all of the veterans who have entrusted their experiences to me, and I hope that I can use your words to help people understand. Class Dismissed"

Junko mind was deep in thought, he kindly left without uttering another word, but leaving with only a nod that showed appreciation to the speaker. How would killing effect me in the long run? was the only question he had stumbling within his mind.

[Topic Left]

Ryu Hime

Yen
ASP
Deaths
OOC Rank
S-Rank
Shimete shakes Kirito awake and he blinks at her a few times. What, what’s going on? He looks around and sees himself in a class. Suddenly he remembers why he is here and notices the silence. Did that wind bag finally stop talking? I thought he was never going to shut up.

Shimete rises from her seat. “The class is over Kirito let’s get going.” She turns around to say to Junko, “See you later, Junko” She was curious why the teacher ended the class without asking the question he said he would ask her. I guess the story of her first kill will be left unheard. Wasn’t much of a story anyways; it had a beginning and ending, but no middle.

AS she heads but the door Kirito says to Shimete, Next time you join a strictly lecture class leave me home.

[left topic]

Uka

Yen
ASP
Deaths
OOC Rank
S
And so the lecture came to a close. Something so rare yet something so interesting and quite possibly something which will only be repeated once a year. It really had been quite the interesting topic that much was for certain and it had raised some rather interesting points in his mind. He doubted that his opinion would change much from what it currently was regarding murder, but it had really made him think a bit. Takehiko never really had any trouble with killing anyone even though he had only done so so very few times. In his proffesion that number would steadily increase as the years passed. That was the sad truth and there was no real point in lying to himself. He was going to have to kill people no matter how hard he tried to avoid it, but he'd do whatever he possibly could before he had to resort to that. Ah it really was a defective world they lived in.

Takehiko slowly stood up and put his coat back on. His mind worked rapidly, going over the lecture once more, trying to remember at least part of in before it was locked away never to be heard again, but now he had to go do something else. Time was ticking and he had to go pick up his work assignment for tomorrow from the barracks. Ah how fun that was going to be....not. A light sigh escaped his lips as he quietly snuck out of the door and soon the building, disappearing into a dark alley soon enough.....

[Topic Left]

Tanaka Ai

Yen
ASP
Deaths
As the lecture ended, Ai couldn’t help but dwell on the topic. The idea the a person would have mental repercussions after a trial by blood. Though, this was nothing new. Many emotions were beginning to bewilder the young boy. In a world with so much pain, why didn’t more people do as he did? Close themselves off, become logical rather than emotional?
Slipping out of his seat, the awkward teen exited the class quietly, his feet on auto pilot as they carried him home.
‘There is only one way to find out how you will handle killing a man. You’re day will come.’ He assured himself. If there was one guarantee in the life unfolding before him, it was death.
‘There will always be death.’

[Topic Left, sorry for the delay.]

Shu

Yen
ASP
Deaths
The class had finally ended and the rest of the students left the classroom one by one. The lesson was interesting considering the wealth of history that Bii-Ryu senpai had provided. The response he gave to Shin's question was sufficient but lacking in what Shin needed. He was hoping that he could get an idea as to the cause of the sporadic attacks in the country. Why was Enishi doing what he was doing perhaps was something personally motivated rather socially. It was hard to believe that he was doing all this for the greater good of the country.

[[Leaving Topic]]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Current Ninpocho Chronicles Time:

Back