Ninpocho Chronicles

Ninpocho Chronicles is a fantasy-ish setting storyline, set in an alternate universe World of Ninjas, where the Naruto and Boruto series take place. This means that none of the canon characters exists, or existed here.

Each ninja starts from the bottom and start their training as an Academy Student. From there they develop abilities akin to that of demigods as they grow in age and experience.

Along the way they gain new friends (or enemies), take on jobs and complete contracts and missions for their respective villages where their training and skill will be tested to their limits.

The sky is the limit as the blank page you see before you can be filled with countless of adventures with your character in the game.

This is Ninpocho Chronicles.

Current Ninpocho Chronicles Time:

Pale Star [Contract Search]

Shiruko Makoto

Head Lorekeeper
Staff member
Yen
ASP
Deaths
OOC Rank
S
So much for that.

Makoto let loose a string of curses in his head that made the phoenix briefly pause in its flapping just above him. The bridge really, really did not want to let him pass. Taomo had some quality he didn't that allowed him to pass--or maybe it really was aware of the fact that he was there to return the relics to the birds.

But there was no such thing as impossible. So he thought fast, because the lights going out along the path meant that he had to. He knew he could catch up, but that didn't mean he should dawdle.

What methods do I know are available to cross?

Option one: The talisman. This option is unavailable to me right now.

Option two: do the monks over there have something? If they have their own talismans, I can ask Taomo to go over there and retrieve one for me. Success: unlikely; they might not even have any in the first place, and if they had some means of traversing the bridge originally, there's nothing that says they still do.

Option three: Taomo has some innate means of crossing, so long as I keep the area illuminated to reveal all the traps. This does not directly benefit me, and is no benefit at all if there is nothing he can bring back to me that will get me across...

He hadn't directly thought of long option four, try the wings anyway, before the phoenix landed on his shoulder again. Its usually short, eagle-like tail had elongated to a much longer one reminiscent of some of the tropical birds on moon, and seemed to glitter a bit in the low light.

"Perhaps the young man would be willing to lead you across," it said, a tone of guarded caution to its voice.

Makoto almost opened his mouth to ask how does that help when he realized.

Oh.

As in, hanging on to him, lending his lightning protection while Makoto kept the traps visible.

As touching him.

He hated being touched. (The phoenix, being as it basically shared a body with him and wasn't human besides, was an exception.)

But it really did look like he would have to suck it up and deal, didn't it? Time was wasting. If he hadn't been so averse to the idea of another person touching him, he probably would have come up with this much sooner. And if it was the real answer--well, whether it was or not, he couldn't afford to not try it, because it maybe probably was.

Dammit.

"All right," he said aloud, masking his discomfort as much as he could. "Taomo, I am going to illuminate the traps again. I cannot cross on my own, so I will need to you to lead me across by the arm--hopefully, your innate protection should cover me as well."

He renewed the illumination jutsu--not just light, in case the photon chakra's ability to reveal hidden things was important to keeping the traps visible--sheathed his parasol, and repressed a shudder as he stepped up to the side of the bridge and held out his arm. If Taomo agreed, which he probably would, then...then he could make it across and hopefully do it without his skin crawling at another person touching him. One he didn't know, at that.

He could do that.

I am sorry, Makoto--I would not have suggested it if I thought there was another way.

He didn't answer it; they both knew this wouldn't be easy for him.

Toraono Kuro

Yen
ASP
Deaths
As Taomo stepped up and grasped Makoto by the arm Makoto could feel an electric field tingling across his skin as he illuminated the bridge and the trap seals became visible to the both of them. The wind buffeted Makoto and Taomo fiercely before shoving them off the bridge as it exploded moments later. The far edge had a timed mechanical explosive that had finally gone off from underneath the edge of the bridge where they both made it a quarter of the way across the bridge. The bridge alit with lightning the same color as the faded blue lightning as Taomo’s seal and the lightning in his eyes. Without thought Makoto's wings emerged stronger and far more powerful than ever as storm chakra coursed around his body. Makoto found he could fly through the chasm rather easily as long as he maintained contact with Taomo. As they reached the other edge his wings winked out and they found two monks lying unconscious with snake bites to the neck and chest. The markings were identical so it seemed to be the same snake that bit both of them. The stench of the venom was not as strong as what had bitten Taomo. These two monks lay upon the ground in a fitful, venom induced slumber. They were both missing their gi tops, sashes, and gi pants, leaving them unconscious on the cold ground with nothing but their shorts and a cotton shirt.

The path ahead was dark but clear of any sound or movement. It seemed as if the Serpent Sage had managed to get quite the head start to the mountain temples despite his earlier defeat. The cavern entrance crumbled as well, maybe there was another way to the Temples but the path they had taken to get there was destroyed.

Shiruko Makoto

Head Lorekeeper
Staff member
Yen
ASP
Deaths
OOC Rank
S
There were two things that Makoto had been wrong about.

One, his skin was definitely crawling at someone else touching him. He could work past that, but he couldn't really ignore it.

Two, the thought that just because they were protected from the winds they were protected from every danger.

It was really a good thing he had instincts to fall back on for being, in his own mind, unprepared. He had expected the traps to be proximity triggered, not timed. Nor had he expected them to be explosives, not having examined them all that closely. (Not having been able to, rather; he could at least acknowledge that a normal person in his position would not call their failure to examine something they were avoiding because it was dangerous any kind of failure at all.)

It was further a good thing that Taomo's protection had kept them both from being flung down the gorge by the winds. The phoenix's protection would not have been able to extend past him.

Ah, about that...please do not say this out loud, but I...would not actually have been able to catch you.

What. Makoto controlled his outward expression as he touched down on the far side and dispelled the wings, keeping as neutral as he could while stepping away from the other man. Explain.

That is...I didn't think it would be an actual concern. I simply said it to allay your fears and get you moving, after which point as you succeeded I would say that the fact nothing bad had happened is proof that you didn't need to worry.

He counted to ten as he dropped to his knees by the monks and absently performed a System Shock on each of them. His mental 'voice' came out very controlled as well, and his expression must have looked very set from the outside.

I appreciate what you were trying to do. However, I do not see my preparedness as a flaw to be overcome. I make my preparations to minimize risk to myself and the people I am on a mission to help. It isn't fears; it's concerns. And there was, in fact, something to worry about, so I would say that I proved my point more than you yours.

I am aware of that now. Its own tone was subdued as it hovered over him. I may be many years older than one of your kind could ever hope for, but I still make mistakes sometimes, Makoto.

Forgiven. So long as you don't do that again.

I will not.

Aloud, he said, "is there another way up to the temples?" He glanced down at the monks as he stood; they ought to be stirring shortly. Maybe they would have answers. "I might or might not be able to fly there," he added, to everyone assembled. "Depending on any protections that are along the way."

This was turning into a huge mess.

"But, well--your aunt," he addressed Taomo, "asked me to bring a message up to the master of the fifth temple, and then I ought to go stop the serpent bandit after that. So I'll need to go make it up there."

That...actually gave him a remarkably convenient excuse for why he was going to the central temple, actually. Although he might have to answer at some point for knowing what the relics were, he could handle this whole serpent sage business first. Then maybe they'd be willing to listen to him if he took the diplomatic route.

Maybe.

All right, he still wasn't holding out too much hope on that one, given human nature. But it was worth a shot, and even if he did end up having to sneak in and steal the feathers and parchment anyway, he at least could do it without hurting anyone in the process. Even if he was also an intended thief, there was no excuse for hurting and killing innocent civilians.

(Were there other relics, or was the serpent bandit really completely unaware of the fact that the treasures of the temple would be worthless to anyone other than the birds? It was a mystery, for now.)

Toraono Kuro

Yen
ASP
Deaths
As the venom left their bodies they came awake startled, they each looked upon Makoto as if they had seen the divine before them. Even Taomo was taken aback as a corona effect from having touched Taomo and using system shock to clear their systems gave him the look of having an actual fiery blue corona. They immediately came to their knees and with heads down and arms out stretched with their hands clasped in gratitude, they spoke as if they were one person although it was evident that they were merely twins. "Great Heavenly one, this is the only path to the 5th Temple of Air under the protection of Grand Master Taoshin. If you would choose to fly please stay close to the temples themselves, the winds here have a mind of their own and protect those whom are righteous or bear the talisman of a Windstorm monk... ours were taken along with our clothing. Meaning we cannot return to the temple without the aid of a lightning bearer." Taomo would stand and face the darkened walkways where the lantern keepers had fallen silent hopefully they were simply put to sleep like these twins had been. "I am the lightning bearer Taomo of Suzaku village, Grandson of Grandmaster Taoshin, even though my wind talisman was stolen from me I can lead us to the temple but we will need to move as fast as I do because without my talisman the winds will challenge me and the only way to beat the winds is to be faster than they are. Focus your chi into your movement and stay within three feet of me and we will move faster than the winds. If you don't believe you can keep up with me then please wait here I will return with an Elder whom will grant you talismans anew." The twins looked at oneanother then lowered their heads, We cannot control our chi yet, please take our plight before the elders and save the Temple."<i></i> They bowed before Makoto once more in unison before sitting in a meditative stance that allowed them to generate heat.

Shiruko Makoto

Head Lorekeeper
Staff member
Yen
ASP
Deaths
OOC Rank
S
What was with people in this area thinking Makoto was some kind of divine messenger just because he had flaming wings and kept saving them and was followed around by a silvery, glowing phoenix?

...You know, when you put it that way, it really should be quite obvious.

Yeah, I guess it really is. If people back home didn't know me they might make the same mistake, in a case like this.

Considering who we are currently working for, I am unsure if it is even really a mistake--other than you being human in origin and not divine yourself, it is really quite accurate.

All right, he couldn't really argue with that logic.

That strange blue flare was unusual, too. I think I have to agree that the Mother of Birds foresaw something like this.

What blue flare? The phoenix flashed a mental image at him. Oh. Well then. I could...maybe come up with an explanation for that, but that's inconvenient. And beside the point. We'll deal with it later.

It sounded like they had two options--to hug the shrines and hope they could stay close enough for Makoto to not be blown away again, or to follow Taomo up and stay close to him.

Speed versus caution. Not a choice Makoto liked making at the best of times, much less when lives could potentially weigh in the balance. However, he had in mind a sort of middle ground that would likely make it a little better.

"I'd best take to the air at speed, then," he decided. "I can't cast light far enough to definitely cover you and light your path, Taomo, but I can keep an eye on you at a distance, until and unless I get far enough ahead. However, I think I should hurry as best I can. It really does seem like time is of the essence."

It went without saying he would have to stick close to the temples; apparently the winds thought his mission was enough to disqualify him as 'righteous.' Or maybe the fact he hadn't yet told anyone of his mission. It didn't much matter; staying vaguely in proximity to the temples sounded like a good idea anyway, just in case there was anything on the ground he ought to have a look at.

He could probably manage a quick swoop down to cure anyone who needed it of the poisons. Probably.

Summoning the wings again, he jumped a few feet into the air first before adding, "if you get into trouble, I'll know about it."

Then he took off properly, still a little unnerved about his earlier thoughts. Yes, technically he was a messenger for a higher being of a sort. But he could sort out the rest of it with everyone who was still under the misconception of his actual level of divinity later. After the crisis was over, like he had earlier. He'd always been good at prioritizing like that.

The phoenix took off with him, staying slightly ahead again. Perhaps it could give him a little bit of warning about any incoming trouble.

Perhaps he ought to start thinking of effective ways to take out the bandit leader, without getting anyone else caught in the crossfire.

Toraono Kuro

Yen
ASP
Deaths
As Makoto leapt into action literally, he began to move with shinobi like grace making his way toward the fifth main temple, there were several men he could spot that were simply unconscious much like the twins had been and all but one still retained their clothing. As he pushed on a severe and violent wind surge lifted in from the temple area and forced him up into the heavens above the temple beyond even the clouds and it was there he finally saw what was controlling the winds. It was a massive gigantic silver hawk clutching a equally massive emerald serpent that also had three smaller sets of wings. From the looks of things they had been locked in battle for a very long time. The winged serpents movements and attacks caused vicious cold winds as its body leeched the heat from the air. The giant Silver hawk caused warm winds to flow and it moved protectively around the temple mountains keeping the flying serpent at bay as it had it trapped in an eternal sky battle/grappling match. The giant hawk winked at Makoto (Yes it winked ) before he was gently forced back down to a ledge upon the fifth temple. If Makoto looked about he would be able to see the Serpent Sage and his two remaining cronies approaching the courtyard inside the Temple. Makoto would also be able to see Taoshin as his description from his Grand niece depicted him meditating outside of a sealed chamber. Either destination could be reached with a decent leap, what path would Makoto choose?

Shiruko Makoto

Head Lorekeeper
Staff member
Yen
ASP
Deaths
OOC Rank
S
That...was...

A bird. Huh. Maybe I'm better off than I thought, here.

Makoto stored the information about the strange conflict above the clouds around the temples in his mind as best he could, before refocusing on the situation at hand. Clearly he had at least some favour here--whether due to his actions or his mission was irrelevant at the moment. Regardless, he was in the right place. Or, halfway between at least.

Normally, I would hesitate, but there's always another solution than the obvious. Can you keep watch?

Of course. The phoenix swooped down to a midway hovering position, dimming its silvery glow just a touch. Are you not afraid you will lose the initiative?

Makoto felt his expression shift into an unaccustomed smirk. No. I'm not.

Because while on the surface it appeared like he only had two options, in his long tenure as a Warden he had learned there were always more. You just had to think of them. Rarely did you ever gain the best outcome by going with the obvious. While someone with less experience might have been stymied long enough for it to make no difference, he'd remembered he was a ninja, and so it was no problem at all.

While mid-leap toward Taoshin to go wake him and deliver the message, Makoto summoned a fiery abomination to go harass and slow the serpent bandit and his minions. The time it gave him was all he would need, if he needed to act himself against the man.

Then he landed near Taoshin, trusting the phoenix would give him warning should he need to throw up some kind of reflexive barrier to shield himself and the guardian. He withdrew the message scroll and approached, unsure how to wake the man from his trance. Well, assuming that the somewhat nearby fiery roar of a giant fireball coming to life hadn't done it.

"Grandmaster Taoshin," he said, glad for once he had a clear and carrying voice, "your niece Taomei has sent me with a message for you."

And hope this would be the right call, though he could move to violence against the serpent sage in an instant if needed.

Toraono Kuro

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Taoshin opened his eyes which seemed aglow with some kind of natural energy as he broke into an easy smile before blinking a few times and resuming normal storm cloud grey eyes. He looked upon Makoto and noted that he still carried remnants of Taomo's lightning chi which explained a great many things. He took the message scroll and it turn into a blur of wind and letters once it touched it touched his fingers. The information was absorbed in a deep sustained intake of spelled air. "It seems I have been lax upon my duties as Grandmaster and failed to train my disciples better. You bear ill news yet you travel with the winds and the touch of my grandson. You have fought for my kin and delivered their urgent message to me and you have witnessed the eternal battle between Gin the great Silver Hawk of the Southern winds and Emerarudo the flying descendant of Orochi. Right now you have witnessed and done more than any monk of this temple and you even managed to use fire ki to keep my wayward half-brother Taoko or as he calls himself Kobura at bay when he would try to assault me when I am supposed to be powerless. You have done many great services for my people and my temple, what may I reward you with in return?"<i></i>

The offer of reward was made, would his quest be complete had he achieved balance in his actions. Only Makoto could tally his actions and ask for the correct rewards for himself and his quest?

Shiruko Makoto

Head Lorekeeper
Staff member
Yen
ASP
Deaths
OOC Rank
S
So that's...handled then...?

Presumably, someone with the title of 'Grandmaster' would be able to drive off the bandit. (His...half-brother? Heh. And Makoto thought his brother was annoying.) Which also explained why the attack came when he was unable to do much about it. And why he'd gone to such trouble as he had to delay and handle the messenger, when he was likely capable of outspeeding the boy.

It further explained how he'd known the relics existed, although what actual use they were to anyone who wasn't one of the birds was...debatable.

Also, apparently not actually killing the serpent bandit worked in his favour, who knew. Yet another reason why taking a third option was always the best route.

Yes, you're very clever, the phoenix said, sounding amused. Don't forget why we're here.

Of course not! I would never.

He took a deep breath, then exhaled. "Actually, I have to admit...I was on my way here even before I originally encountered the village. You see, I'm an emissary of sorts, from the Bird Clan. Hence the wings. I've been tasked with recovering the giant geese who are here, unable to fly away." He felt the phoenix's approving warming presence in him as he spoke. As if he were here for anything else! He wasn't stupid enough to request something selfish or foolish. "So, my request would be temporary access to the sacred quill and papyrus to write a single word, so that I may enable their summoning home. If that isn't possible, then..." He paused. "Well, I suppose healing the geese, so they might make their own way back. The Mother of Birds seemed displeased they had not already been healed and set free."

Because what she really wanted was the geese freed, right? Ho-Pu had not seemed to think that the diplomatic route of asking would work, or she likely would have done it herself. And the end result she wanted was to free the geese. If it couldn't be done via the first method, then perhaps by healing them instead it could be done.

He didn't really want to fight the man in front of him, after all. He had grown up in Moon, a spiritual center, and it was true he did know the depths to which one's faith could allow one to sink and still justify themselves, like many in the Shrine--but it was also true he'd seen those who didn't allow themselves to fool themselves, and who meant their faith honestly and truly. The people he'd met had seemed nothing of the former, only the latter.

And oh, if he had to sneak into the temple where the quill and papyrus lay, he was still pretty sure he could do it. But he didn't actually want to fight some of the few genuinely righteous religious people he'd ever met. Not only did that not seem wise, it seemed...wrong.

Perhaps this was what Kanashimi had meant by feeling things out and developing his own moral compass.

"...Do you also want help, driving him off?" he added, somewhat belatedly in his mind, with a jerk of his head over his shoulder to the serpent sage. "Or...imprisoning him, or whatever it is you'd prefer? At the very least, making such a request of you, I should dip back down to heal any of your people that still need it on the path down."

He meant that, too, since he had been rather rushed on the way up and hadn't the chance to do it then.

He also had a feeling that honesty would win him points here and just in general be the best route, so he had been honest. Hopefully that would work.

Toraono Kuro

Yen
ASP
Deaths
OOC: Balance has been struck... Congratulations on analyzing and occasionally over analyzing everything

The Grandmaster would calmly stand up from his meditative position and nod to Makoto... "You have earned the right to those tools and the release of the golden geese three times over. It is true our monastery has abused the convenience of having the sacred geese here and their golden feathers that they have shed during their stay here have been a great boon. We should have released them long ago but called ourselves housing and protecting them when they probably could handle themselves just fine. Convenience has led to greed, greed has lead to possible suffering. One moment...."<i></i> Taoshin would turn and walk towards a serene pool where a giant hawk statue sat above it. The statue held a scroll and quill in its claws. Taoshin would then roll up his sleeves and take a Crane style fighting stance. His balance was impeccable as he went through an array of movements that would seem slow to Makoto but his phoenix would notice that he was in no way slow but fluid and serene. As he completed his sixteen steps of crane style he had generated enough inertial energy to cause the water to move in a peculiar way. In an instance that was shockingly fast and graceful Taoshin would strike the water's mirror image of the Hawk's quill and scroll causing a single drop of water to fly up and touch the golden quill resulting in the Quill and the scroll falling into his reverse crane grip.
Crane%20Style%20Kung%20Fu_zpscoymduqe.jpg

After handing Makoto the scroll & sacred quill Taoshin’s half brother burst into the main foyer twelve steps beneath them as he gracefully put out the fires from Makoto’s harbinger. He looked up at them with serpent eyes and three giant elemental serpents at his back.

As Makoto touched the scroll he felt a distinct surge of energy as he and his phoenix changed. He did not know how much they had changed but they both felt it.

Makoto could now complete his mission, or would he?
This is only a tip… Don’t over analyze, just do what your character would do…

These are the following changes:

PVE Jutsu: Blessed Phoenix Wings
Blessed Phoenix Wings said:
Phoenix WingsUsing phoenix wings Makoto could take control of wind and heat, he could surge with phoenix fire powered by his chakra. Now due to the faith and hope of villagers whom believe without question that he is a tenchi sent from heaven to save them in their darkest hour mixed with the blessing of an actual divine child whom also looked to Makoto as a sign to fight back against all evil. His wings can now change from sunlight gold to heavenly white. Makoto is now able to glide at higher altitudes or leap extremely high. Thanks to his training, Makoto is able to hover above the ground three to twelve feet. He is also able levitate off the ground with wind, fire, kinesis, or pure faith. His movement while using this form of his wings is extremely swift like that of a hawk's dive. His wings provide a natural protection against close range combat, long range fighters can easily pick him off as the divine light from his wings make him easily spotted from the ground especially at night. His blessed wings also give him greater accuracy with both ninjutsu and taijutsu.
Information
Prerequisites: – The faith of at least 20 people, Phoenix Wings PVE Jutsu, The Blessings of Ho-pu

Rank 1: Levitation - User gains +1 melee dodge, -2 Ninjutsu/Ranged dodge, +2 melee/ninjutsu accuracy.

Rank 2: Super Leaps - User gains +1.5 melee dodge, -1 Ninjutsu/Ranged dodge, +1 melee/ninjutsu accuracy. +5% chance of 'Acrobatic' dodging of RANGED attacks if the user possesses the skill Acrobatics.

Rank 3: Glider Flight - User gains +2 melee dodge, -1 Ninjutsu/Ranged dodge, +.5 melee/ninjutsu accuracy. +10% chance of 'Acrobatic' dodging of RANGED attacks if the user possesses the skill Acrobatics.

Special Action – Phoenix Form: By paying an additional 2000 Cp while using rank 3 Glider Flight, Makoto may transform into a Fiery Avatar of Balance resembling a legendary phoenix for 2 rounds.

Special Action – Phoenix Force: For 2 ap, the user may perform this special action after assuming Phoenix form
The User may Bind a target with fiery unearthly chakra at +2 Accuracy. Additionally, all failed escape attempts deal 200 Illusionary damage. This does not dispel the bind and cannot be avoided, but gives the victim +25% chance to all escape attempts. The maintain cost for Glider Flight is doubled, and the user receives -3 Dodge while this is active.

Rank 1 Cost: 500 CP/rnd, 1 AP
Rank 2 Cost: 750 CP/rnd, 1.5 AP
Rank 3 Cost: 1000 CP/rnd, 2 AP
Notes:
- The binding special action uses ninjutsu accuracy.
- Levitation under 5 feet above the ground does not produce light
- Fiery White Wings Briefly Appear during super leaps
- Your body glows like a lantern at night granting others an additional +1 accuracy against you when using RANGED attacks at night.

Suzaku – Unarmed/Chakra Style said:
The user may choose a single effect from Offensive OR Defensive. Re-entering the style at the cost of 0.5 AP allows the user to change effects. After witnessing Taoshin's mirror strike release Makoto has learned the basis of Suzaku fighting style. When using Phoenix Wings Rank 1 Makoto may perform a dazzling yet balanced array of melee strikes that have the potential to redirect any melee or ninjutsu attack aimed at him while using Levitation only.

Prerequisite: Mastery of Phoenix Wings Jutsu Rank 1 Jutsu
  • Offensive:
    • Mirror Strike: Unarmed attack(s) may automatically cut through half of any Damage Reduction by paying an additional +20% of their chakra cost. Basic Strikes may be used with this.
      • This may be used twice per round.
    • Crane kick: May take a crane stance and perform a single counterstrike kick that produces an elemental chakra-enhanced this attack is enhanced by ANY elemental Ninjutsu buffs.

• Defensive:
    • Redirect Energy: While active, all offensive ninjutsu deal 50% less damage and the user gains +3 Dodge, all partial hits from either physical or ninjutsu attacks have a 50% chance of having their actual full attack damage redirected at the attacker.
    • Suzaku’s Gliding Step: While active, all offensive taijutsu deal 30% less damage and the user gains an additional +1 Dodge,. When the user fully dodges an attack, their attacker automatically takes illusionary damage equal to 25% of the attack's damage. This damage may be increased by the user's elemental jutsu Buffs.

Shiruko Makoto

Head Lorekeeper
Staff member
Yen
ASP
Deaths
OOC Rank
S
It was odd, how smoothly everything was going.

After a moment, Makoto revised his train of thought. He had a very strange definition of 'smoothly' if everything that had happened was it. It was more odd, in that he had expected that the temple elders would have been less forthcoming. Despite his thinking over the past little while, he was not accustomed to the people who ran temples and shrines being so...genuinely good. It was an anomaly, to him.

(If those geese had landed in Moon, the Shrine would have done everything short of actually attacking them or any messengers to keep them.)

He was still kind of expecting the other shoe to drop, actually.

Interesting. It seems that our near-completion of the mission has been noted.

Makes you wonder how much she knew about the situation, hm?

Indeed. There is a bird of sorts here, after all...

"Well, I'm not about to just leave you out to dry here," he said after a second. "But...would you rather I make it non-lethal? I can manage that easily enough."

But the thing was...it also wouldn't take him long to write a single word. And writing that single word would alert Ho-Pu. Who almost assuredly knew what was going on here, and could very well show up here herself. In fact, she had worded it just like that--call upon me. So she would show up, then. And that, in all honesty, sounded like the best way to manage the situation. He could, but that might be an intrusion into these people's story, which thought gave him a strange sensation that he'd felt before. (Once, mind, and years earlier.)

This was also, funnily enough, a more difficult decision than the one he'd had to make in midair moments ago. There, the choice had been obvious. Here, slightly less so.

She will not summon you away, I do not think--and if she does, it would most likely be for the best.

I suppose...but also, if I finish the mission, I lose the wings, which might make any combat in this environment very helpful.

'While you are in my service' does suggest that, yes. But you are also rationalizing because you do not want to leave these people without help. Consider that the temple guardian seems remarkably unconcerned about this intrusion.

...He's a monk. He'd appear unconcerned if the sky happened to collapse on his head.

...All right, true. But still.

But still what? It did not appear to have a further point; they simply did not agree on the correct course here. Which meant that, like so many things, the third option was the correct one. Makoto felt they ought to make it a Warden advisory: never stop looking for options.

He was hovering.

Decision made.

He didn't do anything so brash as verbally taunting the serpent bandit, but he did visibly lift the quill and parchment as he scribed a single word onto them--phoenix. Then he wrapped them up carefully and tucked them into an inner pocket on his jacket for safekeeping for now.

With or without wings, whether he was considered 'in service' to Ho-Pu still or not, that was no reason to leave decent people out to dry. Even if someone so named a Grandmaster could possibly handle it, it was unwise to underestimate your enemies. Always.

"If you need help subduing him, I'm happy to offer it," he said again. "If you'd rather I not interfere, I'll of course try to do that too, but that I'm less adept at."

For the moment, at least, he appeared to still be hovering. Hopefully that would hold.

I don't like those snakes.

Do you expect me to peck their eyes out or some such thing?

That sounds...elaborate and unnecessary, considering snakes navigate mostly by smell and vibrations. No, please just keep an eye on things.

Instead of that, however, the phoenix lifted itself into the air further than he was and started to sing. It was not really true phoenix song, he knew, but it was still quite lovely, and would hopefully help. Somehow.

(He had, not quite consciously, entered the Redirect Energy style.)

Then he simply glanced at the serpent bandit and quirked an eyebrow. It was not, quite, a gesture to 'come at me,' but it was implied.

Although, the technique he'd used with that look might prevent that.

He'd deal with the snakes if they came. He wasn't quite sure what level of force to use, but something that wouldn't do too much damage to the landscape seemed like a good call. And the pool did put him in mind of water...

The man, he'd only attack if Taoshin thought he ought to--this was the Grandmaster's territory and his call, after all.

Toraono Kuro

Yen
ASP
Deaths
With the flick of his wrist the mission was completed and a warm feeling filled the room, a powerful light filled the chamber shortly after, causing the serpent sage's flames to wink out and the elemental serpents to shrink back behind him as if needing his protection from what was coming. Then time seemed to stop as there was no one moving but Makoto and Ho-pu...

“You are a man of your word Makoto, as I suspected. You maintained your internal balance and compass and accomplished the task I gave to you. You saved lives and you took lives, you did harm, and you healed, you spoke and you listened, you faced your fears and showed great courage. You now are faced with a choice, the most difficult one you may imagine, does your companion stay with you as a part of your inner spirit and chakra or do you free it to take up a greater burden. Time waits for no man but luckily this instant is only the blink of an eye to a human and I am simply granting you access to the infinite glimpse of moments that I myself get from moment to moment in order to make the most balanced decision.”

Her eyes peered into Makoto yet again allowing her to stare into his soul as he contemplated what to do next the young phoenix's eyes would look to them both wondering what would Makoto decide. While focusing her calm, kind, yet persistent will upon his mind to expand his comprehension of time. Ho-pu began to take on a now familiar human form as it was easier to speak in a human manner when in human form. The light blinded the serpent sage as the glaring yet comfortable flame collapsed the large bird into the shape of a human woman. A red haired woman in a green skin tight uniform coalesced into being before him the flames of creation and rebirth surged forth and stood beside Makoto looking into his eyes as she prepared to accept the consequences of his decision.

Shiruko Makoto

Head Lorekeeper
Staff member
Yen
ASP
Deaths
OOC Rank
S
Never mind, then.

It...really didn't seem like the bandit leader was going to be his problem anymore. Or possibly anyone else's, ever again. Or at least, Makoto was fairly sure that was the case, anyway.

His cheeks went hot when Ho-Pu recited the litany of his actions. It hadn't been like that, had it...? He'd just been doing what came naturally. He didn't feel as though it was any kind of special moral fortitude or anything that he possessed here. He'd been...well, if he was at home he'd have been doing his job, this was more of fulfilling a request as best as he was able and simply getting caught up in other things along the way. He hadn't intended for things to pan out this way--he'd have stealthed in and just found a way to snatch the things if he had to, and in most ways that would have been simpler--but he couldn't see a point, looking back, where he could have done anything differently in good conscience.

His brother's words echoed in his memory.
So perhaps your moral compass isn't as hopeless as you think it is. Perhaps it wasn't. It was odd to think he'd short-changed his own decent qualities in some way, since he was of more of the habit of doing the opposite.

Then the rest of what she was saying caught up with him. "Ahh..." he prevaricated. "Yes. Right. That..."

He didn't want to lose the phoenix. But then, it oughtn't just be up to him. Left up to him alone, then he would definitely choose to keep it with him. But it shouldn't be his choice alone, because it didn't just concern him. And he could hardly show less concern for the opinion of the being who was, in all honesty, his best friend, than he had for various random strangers he'd encountered over the last few days.

"...is hardly the sort of decision that is just mine to make," he finished less than smoothly. "It doesn't just impact me, after all."

The phoenix alighted gently on his shoulder, and he could feel a certain warmth emanating from it that was not often there. Perhaps it was mimicking the bird that was the origin of its form a little more closely than usual.

"I would prefer to stay with you," it said simply. "You are quite a remarkable person, constant bouts of self-depreciation aside, and I do not want to miss what you get up to in the future."

"...I was actually kind of worried you were just saying that before. Because, well, my lifespan is probably not very long compared to yours, even assuming I don't get killed." He shrugged loosely, somewhat uncomfortable with the topic. "And it wouldn't be a big sacrifice to you, or something."

The sharp clacking of a beak. "Makoto. Look at me." He did, turning his head and unconsciously holding out his arm so the phoenix could hop back along it a bit so they could look each other in the eye properly. "I have not thought that. In any case, it would be a most unhealthy thing to do, for both of us. I do not have to ask if you would do that for someone else you felt needed you, as the thought being in your head at all means you would."

"I'm...not a particularly good person is all," he mumbled. "You might find someone you'd prefer."

If birds could facepalm, the phoenix would surely have been doing it. "The fact that you are not always nice does not mean you are not good and someday soon the universe will make you realize that," it said after a moment. "I will allow the universe to do so at its leisure; it is far older than I and correspondingly more patient and experienced in such matters."

"...Right. Then..." He wasn't convinced of that part, but he was at least convinced that it wanted to stay with him. He looked back at Ho-Pu, lowering his arm as the phoenix hopped back to his shoulder. "No offense to you or anyone intended, but I don't prefer to take up greater burdens, if I can avoid it--and more to the point, neither of us actually want to leave each other. So if it requires that much, then I would have to pass."

The phoenix gave an amused trill. "And you say you're not polite."

Toraono Kuro

Yen
ASP
Deaths

Bird Contract Earned

"So be it, the contract is signed and your companion has chosen to stay as a part of you. You will find yourself capable of calling upon the aid of the children of the skies.You may one day be able to truly empower your companion to reflect the physical world, for now the family drama will now balance itself. The geese are freed and my presence is no longer required. You may intervene at your leisure or step back and allow things to go on without you. Remember whatever happens the world will achieve balance but only you can find your own."<i></i>

Ho-pu accepted Makoto's decision before receding into a surge of fiery light. A symbol appeared upon Makoto that showed he had indeed been accepted the bird contract.

Shiruko Makoto

Head Lorekeeper
Staff member
Yen
ASP
Deaths
OOC Rank
S
I...what?

Makoto's mind blanked; he hadn't been doing this with the intention of being rewarded for it. The removal of the empathy had been enough--in his mind, he was repaying a favour.

Not that he was going to refuse. Perhaps the mother bird felt that he had done rather more than he had explicitly had to just to repay a favour, or perhaps this really had all been some sort of test. He'd heard some spirits rolled that way. Who knew? He'd heard some spirits rolled that way.

He glanced briefly at the symbol. He'd felt a surge of warmth on his hand when she'd spoken, and indeed, there it was, on the back of his right hand--a stylized, artistic phoenix brand. Rather fitting, though it was also a good thing he frequently wore gloves. It would give him time to come up with an explanation for its presence that did not immediately indicate the presence of the phoenix itself.

"Thank you," he murmured, feeling she would hear him.

...Maybe he wasn't rude, after all.

What a strange thought. Albeit, it was also one he could have later. He had a bit of intervening to do.

Deciding there was nothing in particular wrong with his previous plan, although he might not have access to the wings anymore, he nonetheless figured it would be best to intervene only if the grandmaster wished him to. What with actions that affected others, asking what they wanted seemed to be panning out quite brilliantly for him for the moment, so he might as well.

"If you want me to help, I will," he said to Taoshin. "Or if you'd prefer me to pick a target--the man or the snakes--and stick to it, I can do that too. This is your shrine, after all, and if you believe you can handle it, I'll let you."

If Taoshin preferred him to attack the snakes, that he could do quite easily with potentially lethal force, aiming to knock the snakes back and possibly even off a cliff. If he preferred Makoto target the bandit leader, then something more subtle was really called for, for the moment.

The phoenix took off singing, spiraling above the battlefield. Even if Makoto could no longer fly himself, it could still, and it could dart in and at the very least, distract.

Toraono Kuro

Yen
ASP
Deaths
As the seal of Ho-Pu took form on the back of his right hand Makoto would find that his wings did not leave him as he had altered the original jutsu during his actions to help the village and through their faith in him. He had taken up his own form of telekinesis which took the form of Wings of faith. Tenchi he was not but being Phoenix touched made him the next step below that. Taoshin smiled evilly as he stepped upon a small hidden panel which caused the ceiling to open up letting brisk yet soothing winds into the chamber as he motioned to Makoto to step back. "My little brother will never be a match for me no matter what powers he attains. I am the mountain hawk and he has chosen to be a lowly serpent."<i></i> With a quick swallow of a drop of water from the sacred pool Taoshin grew to one hundred times his size and quickly snatched up Kubera and with a brotherly sneer he tossed Kubera away. All that could be heard from Kubera was "NOoOOoOoOoOOoooOOOo!!!! NOT AGAAAAAAIIIIIIIINNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!" Before he became a tiny sparkle in the sky. ((TEAM ROCKET IS BLASTING OFF AGAIN)) The elemental serpents disappeared in a burst of color as the other monks rushed in to see the Grandmaster return to his original size as even the giant snake that the mighty silver hawk had kept at bay in the clouds had disappeared. One day soon Makoto would have to summon a companion and begin his new training.

Contract Mission complete...

Shiruko Makoto

Head Lorekeeper
Staff member
Yen
ASP
Deaths
OOC Rank
S
Huh...good thing I asked. Looks like he could handle himself after all. Clearly, the woman back at the village hadn't been exaggerating. Altering the shrine guardian did indeed appear to solve the whole problem.

(The comparison between hawks and serpents amused Makoto too, albeit for rather more personal reasons. He had never seen Tatsuya fight though, and couldn't be that sure of the outcome of a match between them.)

"That was impressive," he murmured as the bandit was flung away. "I...think I am glad the so-called holy men back home can't wield that type of power."

The phoenix alighted gently on his shoulder briefly, as if just to spread a bit of warmth through him for the journey back. Then Makoto gave a nod to the Grandmaster, stepped to the edge of the cliff, waited for the phoenix to take to the air again, and then deployed his wings. To be suitably dramatic about it, he took flight by simply stepping off the edge and then spreading his wings (though not before confirming he still had them; he was being impressive, not stupid).

The trip back to Sand promised to be much, much less intensive and eventful than the trip out.

"So I guess I have wings now," he mused aloud once they were well away from the temples. Somehow, he didn't think he'd have an issue with the winds on the way out. "It doesn't really seem as though I should bandy that about, you know? Maybe I should be careful not to use them much where people can see me."

"I assume you mean people you know," the phoenix said, amused. "As a good deal of people indeed have seen you with them now."

"Well...yes," he agreed grudgingly. "But they don't know my name or even where I come from, so none of that is liable to get back to anyone at home I don't want it getting back to. And..." he hesitated. He had never been a religious person despite his homeland, but... "And something about that whole thing seemed almost...I don't know, sacred. I don't know exactly what that feeling is, but I think that was it. It seems like it would be wrong to brag about it, and flying around in front of people would be bragging."

It looped him once, brushing an ethereal wing against his cheek. "Do you know, I didn't think you'd ever appreciate that concept?"

"Don't push it," Makoto warned. "I still see nothing particularly incredible about landscapes."

"Or art, I take it," it said, with a half-sigh to punctuate. "You really do need to take more time to appreciate things. What about the view of a sunset as it sinks over the water, reflecting deep reds and oranges onto the sea and making it look as though it's on fire?"

"What about it?" he asked, disinterested and instead angling toward a good updraft. "It's just light. Oh, I suppose there is one interesting thing about sunsets."

"You're going to say something like, 'they lead to darkness, which is when it's socially acceptable to sleep,' or something like it, aren't you." It matched his normal tones and cadence quite well in the middle there.

"Well yes, but that wasn't it." He made sure to keep his face turned so it couldn't see, which wasn't hard when it was leading. "It really was something visual."

"Oh?" the phoenix sounded surprised, with a light undertone of well, don't keep me in suspense.

"The green flash effect that occurs sometimes when the sun sets," he said, his tone even. "It says a lot of interesting things about how light passes through the atmosphere that I won't bore you with; I expect you just think it's pretty."

There was a swooping sound as it made a turn that would have been impossible for a corporeal bird and winged around to catch a glimpse of his suspiciously even expression. "Very funny."

He couldn't hold the flat mask long. "I thought so."

They flew on companionably, winging their way to a rest stop on the long journey back to Sand and their traveling companions, feeling well-accomplished and perhaps a little bit more even-keeled.

And if Makoto actually thought the stars were pretty, but kept it to himself and preferred to, well, that was his business.

[Topic Left/Finished]

Current Ninpocho Chronicles Time:

Back