Ninpocho Chronicles

Ninpocho Chronicles is a fantasy-ish setting storyline, set in an alternate universe World of Ninjas, where the Naruto and Boruto series take place. This means that none of the canon characters exists, or existed here.

Each ninja starts from the bottom and start their training as an Academy Student. From there they develop abilities akin to that of demigods as they grow in age and experience.

Along the way they gain new friends (or enemies), take on jobs and complete contracts and missions for their respective villages where their training and skill will be tested to their limits.

The sky is the limit as the blank page you see before you can be filled with countless of adventures with your character in the game.

This is Ninpocho Chronicles.

Current Ninpocho Chronicles Time:

The world as we know it [class]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Takaki Saeko

Yen
ASP
Deaths
In the worn and pock-marked hallways and classrooms of the venerable (and somewhat decrepit) Shinobi Academy of Kumogakure, a new flyer had recently appeared advertising a special class of sorts. It was open to the public, but especially geared at senior academy students facing imminent graduation. Unlike many of the normal classes in the academy, this one would not be taught by a shinobi, but by a person with absolutely no chakra generation capability whatsoever…
The First Annual Daimyo Amakusa Ryuu Community Service Requirement Invitational Guest Lecture

featuring invited speaker

Sir Takagi Masao, Professor of Military History, Lightning National University

Author of Raikages of Kumogakure, Modern Shinobi Warfare, and Path of the Kingslayer

Note: Academy Students will receive 1 class credit toward graduation. Bolters must be holstered and kept in condition one or greater. Blades must be sheathed with retention strap buttoned. No exceptions.

Eventually, the day had come for the lecture and students, older shinobi, and even some members of the lay public who worked around Kumogakure started to file in, not knowing what to expect.

iCMzg.png
From visual appearance alone, the purported guest speaker was not impressive at all. For someone who shared essentially the same name with the village’s Main Branch Sennin (known for his power as well as the harsh discipline he visited upon his subordinates in the form of hairbrushings), this Masao was anything but puissant. He was a chubby, squat man with an unnaturally round face and a generic haircut, and his exhalations were accompanied by an ever-present, high-pitched wheeze that he had long ago stopped giving a damn about. Clad in a nasty-colored orange sweater with plaid pants, it was also clear that his fashion sense was clearly lacking. Then again, Cloud was a village where ninjas wore pastels, so that misstep could be forgiven.

He had been given a microphone by the Academy to conduct his lecture, but as he cleared his throat and brought it to his face, the auditorium was enveloped with the deafening squeal of feedback. Not a good start to the lecture.
Alright, you guys asked for a class, and here it is. Every academy student should attend this. This will be a general introduction to the setting, history, culture, and politics of Cloud and Lightning Country as a whole, and an opportunity to ask questions and clarify aspects of the RP setting in general. Hopefully this will help people come to understand our particular village's setting a bit better, since every village is run differently and has a different relationship with its parent country. Try to post within a reasonable time frame and I will do the same. You are welcome to post multiple times per round and interact with each other too, not just the lecturer.

Ren

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Haru was strolling through the Academy halls after when a flyer caught his interest.

The title read The First Annual Daimyo Amakusa Ryuu Community Service Requirement Invitational Guest Lecture upon further reading the flyer Haru noticed the guest speaker was related to the main branch Sennin, this class could prove very useful. Haru made a mental note to make sure he attended, it would also be the last class credit he needed in order to graduate from the Academy.

A few days later Haru squeezed his way into the busy auditorium where he set his sight upon the guest speaker, he was harsh on the eyes a short chubby man with an awful sense in clothes, which even Haru noticed. He wheezed as he spoke and to make matters worse the mic was giving awful feedback. Never the less Haru remained seated in the back of the auditorium and waited for the speech to start. Never had he studied anything about his nations past, all his studies were Jutsu and Chakra techniques, or ancient Blood lines whose power he could dream of acquiring one day.

So Takagi has written Raikages of Kumogakure, Modern Shinobi Warfare, and Path of the Kingslayer, nothing I’ve actually ever read but they all sound rather logical and historical. I’ll just have to bite my lip for now and see what this guy has to say, after all last class I plan on taking at the Academy and I just have to sit here and get lectured easy enough.

Takahashi Ren

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Ren yawned.

She'd been pushed out of bed that morning by her overeager mother, who'd said something like 'classes' and 'excitement' and 'yes, you have to go.' So Ren, bleary-eyed and really just wishing she could roll over and go back to sleep, got up, put on some pants and a black jacket, and wandered to the academy. Now, she stood in front of the main lecture hall, looking balefully at the flyer nearby.

The title was too long, she decided. She lost interest after the word community - Ren disliked her community on a daily basis, there were too many screaming kids and wet dogs - and instead eyed the doors in front of her. She knew she had to go (if she didn't, her mom would find out and the woman was scarier than any dragon) but surely the lecture hall would be big and dark enough that she could just snooze somewhere in the back. Yeah. That was a good plan. ...Unless her mom found out about that, too, in which case Ren would never be allowed to sleep again.

My life, she bemoaned, steeling her resolve and edging open the door. As luck would have it, Ren entered the lecture hall just as a garishly clothed man on stage let the microphone screech. Ren winced, deliberately didn't look at the stage (sure, she was all for bright colors, but...orange and plaid was pushing it, even with her tastes), and sought out an empty seat. The back was, unsurprisingly, quite empty, and since Ren had no desire to push her way to the front rows, she shrugged and sat down near a dark-haired boy.

She took a second to look around - her mom had mentioned, in between shoving a piece of burning toast into Ren's hands, that this particular lecture was open to the public. Maybe she'd see someone she knew in the neighborhood, though Ren admitted the chances of that were unlikely. She'd have to muddle through this on her own, it seemed...whatever 'this' was.

I...probably should have read that flyer.

[mft: 341]

Seiken Noroshi

Yen
ASP
Deaths
The days had grown long for the red-haired boy. Not much had been going on, and he had explored a fair share of the village already. The monotony of the past weeks was suddenly broken however by a flyer he noticed on a bulletin board in the Academy building as he happened to be strolling by. Professor of military history? He sure has written some important sounding books. Noroshi primarily wanted a class on how to fight or jump or cast these magic spells things, but he supposed that being an immigrant to this land meant he knew almost nothing about it aside from what he explored so far. The inner workings and history of this beautiful country were still a complete mystery to him, so he figured why not. If it was a class geared towards other students, maybe he could meet some of his peers he'll be growing up with.

Noroshi had never been in a lecture hall before. He expected the classrooms to be like the ones he attended for his primary education back in the Land of Fire: small and concentrated. Most of the rooms he had peaked into in the academy looked to be this way, but as he entered the hall, he looked up at all the seats and seemed a intimidated. The seats rose up high after each row so that each person would have a clear lone of sight to the stage and podium. Speaking of stage, Noroshi turned and saw the speaker, a one Takagi Masao. The man was nothing impressive, definitely not what Noroshi had imagined as a military professor. He had pictured a tall muscular man with medals and honors and a deep, powerful voice. This guy was almost the complete opposite, but Noroshi knew he had his merits so he gave him a chance.

His eyes drifted back up to the seats where two other figures sat. As he climbed the steps, they appeared to be a dark haired boy and a blonde girl, looking slightly older and younger respectively. He definitely would stand out among them. Noroshi wore dark blue jeans and a white collared shirt buttoned up, over which his thin brown hoodie. The two sat near each other, but didn't appear to be conversing. He seat down near the two and gave a friendly smile to each as if to say "Hi" without saying it. Time to see wear this class would lead him. If nothing else, at least he'd learn something.

[MFT]

Kousaki Satoru

Yen
ASP
Deaths
"Professor of Military History... Lightning National University...". Satoru was recalling the flyer he had found by incidence while walking down one of the Academy's corridors only a day ago. With a half-blank look on his face, the boy was casually heading towards the main lecture hall. He was wearing his usual attire, with the long-sleeved hoodie's sleeves pulled up above his elbows, the hood pulled down and his hands in his pockets. He was curious about the things he'd learn that day, as he thought this lecture would be a good change of pace in his studies. It wasn't often that he did this kind of study other than in his free time and by curiosity alone. His family was relatively new to the country, after all, and chances were he didn't find out as much about the country growing up as others would had. This was, then, a good opportunity to check what was expected of a senior student to know about the Lightning country and to complete his knowings if needed.

He saw that the same flyer was posted on the door to the designated room, so Satoru took another look at it to remember a bit about the event. His lips slowly mimicked the words as he read them in his mind. "Takagi Masao..." He also made sure to remember at least one two of the three works cited on the flyer, for possible future study. Afterwards, he opened the door and stepped in, mildly surprised by the number of people inside. He then remembered that this was more a lecture than class, open to anybody interested to listen, and that was visible to Satoru has he looked around the room and noticed that there were probably more younger pupils and non-students present than senior students.

It seemed like the teacher was about ready to start, if the man making final adjustments to the microphone was indeed the teacher. Satoru studied him as he made his way towards the fourth row of seats. The man wasn't looking very interesting at all, and he was probably a bit annoying even to most students there. The boy wondered how many had come there just for the Academy credit. He took his desired seat but then realized that, since the teacher had a microphone, it would more likely be the ones in the front having problems with understanding, due to the possibility of the volume being set to high. So, he turned his head back towards the seats in the back, when he noticed Haru, and a lone empty seat in the row in front of his, but a few spots to the side. He thought that would be a good place to hear the man properly from, so he stood up and headed there. He was now sitting one seat diagonally from a crimson red-haired boy, resting his face in his palms, leaning forward, as he waited for the discourse to start.

[Entry]

Tsuyoshi Junko

Yen
ASP
Deaths
sun rays had peered into Junko's room. The sun rays soon reached Junkos faces and caused him to awaken from his deep sleep. Junko stood up as he realized he only had one more class to attend before he could graduate. "This will be my last day at the academy." Junko put on a white T-shirt, black jeans, and a black jacket. Junko had grown within the weeks. His mind frame was different, his body was changing by the day, and his learning abilities enhanced with each experience. Junko opened his room window and placed one foot on the window seal. "Aiko, This is our last class we need to graduate. From what I heard it's only a lecture on history and other mambo jumbo. So I'll meet you there."

Junko leaped out of the window to the ground landing softly by bending his knees. Junko traveled at a steady pace towards the academy. As he traveled all he could think about was all his experiences that he has been having. "I now have a sensei that has help me advance my skills through only one training session. I have attended a class that has taught me my chakra nature and helped me learn hand seals." Junko smiled as he finished his thought and had arrived at the academy. Junko opened the doors and noticed a loud squeal coming from down the hall. Junko reached the room in a matter of seconds and noticed seats had already been filled. Junko entered the room noticing a few Academy students that was in his first class. "Looks like this will be their last class as well." Junko sat next to Satoru. "Hi Satoru, I wonder how longs this lecture is going to be. Junko made himself comfortable until the lecture started.

[mft]
[Words: 299]

Ryu Hime

Yen
ASP
Deaths
OOC Rank
S-Rank
Shimete and Kirito all sat in the classroom for the lecture. Kazuma did not though it sounding interesting so he skipped it. Kirito smiled for this was the perfect specimen for the second lesson in the ocular powers of the Children of Moro. It is time for another lesson my sister. You see that ugly fat guy in front. Shimete laughs for it was so true. All life has the ability to create chakra, however after constant inactivity ones chakra pools can become in dormant. Look at him do you see them dim aura you see around others?

Shimete stares at the man but, no matter how hard she stares at him her gave of not a hint of glow. It was as if he was a puppet. “No, not a glimmer.”

That is because he never learned how to use his chakra. His pools are completely dormant and thus he gives of no aura for you to see. This is why we trust in more than just our eye to hunt. The eye of Moro is special but you must not become depended on it. Oh my god! Make it stop. Kirito ears were sensitive to the feedback. It hurt him more than the students. By the looks of how this class was starting, Shimete was beginning to think Kazuma had the right idea in not showing up.

[edit: Kirito is a wolf. He speaks to me telepathically. Thought it was important to mention.]

Yen
ASP
Deaths
The day was dark, the summer sky shrouded with bruised and sullen storm clouds that promised of a summer thunderstorm. As the clouds prepared for battle, Jo entered the sanctuary of the Academy. His academic advisor had informed him of an upcoming lecture to be delivered by a professor of military history at Lightning National University, and strongly suggested that he attend. While the business-like woman didn’t seem to pose a physical threat, his intuition told him there might be dire consequences if he were to cross her.

As he entered the lecture hall, he immediately thought to seek a seat in the back where he wouldn’t be noticed or picked to answer any questions. His attire of denim blue-jeans, black leather steel-toed boots and a black t-shirt wouldn’t stand out in any crowd. However, when he turned to head up there, he found that it was full of students around his age, probably with the same thought process as he had. He wanted not to be noticed, not to be bothered, and not to be called upon by the lecturer. However, if he were to avoid his classmates and sit somewhere alone, he’d alienate himself and never make any friends. Thankfully, there were enough non-students and military personel in the lecture hall to make it improbable that the fat ugly man on stage would pick on the group of students for hiding in the back.

Finally deciding to sit with the rest of his classmates, Jo made his way to the back row, apologizing quietly as he scooted past everyone and took a seat in the very back corner seat. He hoped he’d be able to hear everything, and that he grating sound of the pat mans wheezing wouldn’t drive him insane!

{MFT: 293}

Takaki Saeko

Yen
ASP
Deaths
“Ahem…er, sorry about that…” said Takagi as the last strains of microphone feedback faded away. Looking down at the device, he shrugged and tossed it aside (fortunately, a nearby academy sensei was on hand to actually catch the thing before it caused even more of a disruption), and proceeded to waddle over to the edge of the speaker’s stage, where with a seemingly great amount of effort, he hopped onto the ground and walked toward the section where the students had loosely congregated.

“Well, the microphone’s broken, but that’s just as well,” he said, resting his hands on his hips. “You’re all going to have to come closer in order to hear me. Especially you all in the back,” he said pointing to the seven academy students who had been the most recent to arrive. “But that’s okay, since in truth I hate giving traditional lectures where I’m the one droning on and on about boring crap, and you’re all wondering when I’m going to shut up and if that girl in your class is going to confess to you or not. Instead, I’m actually interested in what you guys have to say.

“Ah, ‘Lelouche’ over there is probably wondering why I’m not just doing my job and getting on with the lecture,” he said, pointing to Haru. “The reason is that unlike the sons and daughters of nobility who I normally teach at Lightning National, you shinobi academy students are the ones directly involved in shaping the future of this nation we call home. You are the ones who will make an indelible impact on history! And because you are in this situation, it is especially important that you understand what has come before, why you live the life you currently live, and even what you can do to change things if you wish.”

He paused and took a swig out of a flask he drew from his pocket. What was actually in the flask was a mystery, however.

“So what we’re going to talk about today are history and politics. That’s pretty dry and boring stuff on the surface. But haven’t you ever wondered why you do what you do? And for that matter, why Kumogakure even exists? Why is it that you cannot set foot outside the village without the explicit permission of the Raikage himself, lest you face summary execution by your own friends and family? Why, if you are the most lethal fighting force in the country and possibly the world, the Shogun gets to boss you around at all? And for that matter, how is this all funded? If you’ve never ever questioned those things, then I envy you, as does anyone else with the capacity for sentient thought.

“Now, in order to understand the role of shinobi in Lightning Country, you have to know the answer to the basic question of ‘why and how did I end up here in this academy being shaped into the most lethal weapon on the planet?’ I’d like to hear from you students on this one. Specifically, tell us who you are and when you came to the academy and under what circumstances. Are your parents shinobi or civilians? Nobles or commoners? Did you grow up in Kumogakure or come from somewhere else in Lightning or even another nation? And how were you first made aware that you were different from your non-chakra-producing peers? By the way, I welcome all questions, so if you have any, please ask away.”
Yay! Great posts, everyone. The class is still officially open, so come on in if you've missed the first round

Ren

Yen
ASP
Deaths

Haru raised his eyebrows as the man hopped down from the stage and towards the students, he made a joke directed at Haru and then asked a lot of questions that were rhetorical and hard to follow fully.

“Now, in order to understand the role of shinobi in Lightning Country, you have to know the answer to the basic question of ‘why and how did I end up here in this academy being shaped into the most lethal weapon on the planet?’ I’d like to hear from you students on this one. Specifically, tell us who you are and when you came to the academy and under what circumstances. Are your parents shinobi or civilians? Nobles or commoners? Did you grow up in Kumogakure or come from somewhere else in Lightning or even another nation? And how were you first made aware that you were different from your non-chakra-producing peers? By the way, I welcome all questions, so if you have any, please ask away.”

Haru stood up at the invitation to speak from the man lecturing them. He made a mental note to avoid any philosophical tangents at this time and just answer the questions he was asked.

Uhhm, Hello Takagi-san, I am Haru of the Santaru clan. I was raised as part of the Hiashi clan a group of common shinobi, but recently have found I was adopted and am, like I said a Santaru by birth. Within either family of mine, birth or adopted it is expected of me to become a Shinobi as my parents and ancestors have been. I grew up in the Seki district here in the village. I was on my clans grounds most of my childhood, so I only knew of Chakra producing people, so I guess I found out there were non-chakra-producing people in my first Academy class.

A question tugged at Haru’s mind.

I have a question. You asked a lot of ‘why’ questions I find to be rhetorical. I think the word ‘why’ sums up all of your questions in one, why are we even in existence and why do we form nations, I find the latter question easier to answer, if there were no nations everyone would be completely free to do as they pleased. People happily give up the complete freedom to become a nation because that guarantees them safety and organization. Now, why do we exist is a question that can never truly be concluded in my opinion. We exist because it is simply all we can do. We serve no purpose other than what we make for ourselves. We have certain destinies that I believe are predetermined, and that dooms most of us to awful fate. So I think instead of pondering why, we ask ‘how’. How can we escape the cruel destiny that everyone receives…

Haru paused a moment rubbed his hair through his hands and smiled at the guest speaker.

I apologize sir, this was a tad off topic, maybe at a later date we can discuss philosophy. he trailed off and sat back down, if he is as wise as he seems, he’ll have plenty of answers for these questions.

Takahashi Ren

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Ren woke up a little when the lecturer tossed aside his microphone and made his way towards the back. Other students had come and filled in some of the seats around her, so it wasn't that surprising that their teacher for the day wanted to focus his attention on them. Ren rolled her shoulders, sitting up a bit straighter as the man - she vaguely recalled the man's name as being Takagi, or something, on the flyer she'd barely glanced at - started to speak. He wheezed every now and then, but Ren was more interested in the way he spoke and the words he said.

History, rhetorical questions, those big concepts like why people existed and their places in the world's hierarchy... Ren had thought about all that in passing, she just generally disliked thinking about it in focus. What good could it do, anyway? The world was set, and she was a civilian's kid at the end of the day. Her presence meant very little, and she was pretty much fine with being another head in the crowd. Though - she did admit she was curious as to why ninja subjected themselves to royals; surely money didn't have that much sway.

She picked up her head as the dark-haired boy she'd sat near stood and answered Takagi's questions. Santaru Haru was his name, and he, unlike her, seemed quite interested in big concepts and rhetorical questions. Haru had a point, she supposed, about people making futures for themselves. Sure. Why not? If people could ruin their own lives, then it stood that they could make them brilliant, too.

Haru sat back down, and Ren, figuring that she had come in after Haru and it only made sense, got up. She inclined her head slightly to Takagi (she would have fully bowed, but didn't trust herself to do so without falling into the row of seats ahead) and said, "Thank you for having this lecture today, Takagi-san. My name is Takahashi Ren. I'm a relatively new student to the academy and enrolled after my mother suggested it." Ren felt the urge to fidget - she hated formal talk, and could only manage it for so long - and settled for shuffling her feet. "My parents are both civilians, but my grandparents on my father's side were shinobi." So average that their son didn't inherit anything, Ren added sulkily. "I grew up here in the village and found out that I had some talent with chakra a few weeks ago, after my mother told me."

Though really, thought Ren, continuing with her mental asides, grandma told Mom when I was born, and Mom thought it was okay to never mention it until after I agreed to enroll. But that was revealing a little too much for Ren's tastes, so she sat back down, finished. She didn't have any questions she was willing to voice, and waited for someone else to talk with her chin resting on her palm.

Ryu Hime

Yen
ASP
Deaths
OOC Rank
S-Rank
Shimete was a little hesitant to answer for she was different than everyone else for certain. She was someone else’s property; what control does she have over her own fate. She was taught that she existed to serve and what’s really scary is that she is happy with that. She is more than happy to serve the Tsubaki clan for the rest of her life. “My name is Nigiri Shimete and this is my first class as a student. I have been in two previous classes as a handmaid to my master Kazuma. I have just recently registered into the academy. The clan that I served has a rite of passage that we must go through before we are allowed to join the academy. As for why I exist. I exist to serve; I was born to serve. My parents served the Tsubaki clan and so did their parent and grandparent and so forth. My mother and father are currently dead. We are all chakra-user but not all shinobi. It fact it never accord to me until now that there could be people without chakra. I thought everyone had chakra.”

Shimete was going have the next person go when Kirito gives a bark. He wanted to take a turn as well, but of course him being a wolf mean she would have to talk for him. “Really?” She then gives out a sigh. “This is Kirito, he lived in the Heartland of Kaminari no Kuni. His birth parents were non-chakra users, however his adoptive mother was.” Kirito barks and Shimete looks at him. “I’m not saying that. That will just make me look weird.” Kirito mentally responds pointing out she already looks weird talking to a wolf. “Fine our adoptive mother. She is the reason I can talk with Kirito and other things. Kirito is currently my teacher. He is teaching me how to use the powers given to me by our adoptive mother.” Hopefully people won't think she is some sort of freak.

Tsuyoshi Junko

Yen
ASP
Deaths
"I can tell now this will be long and boring. I will try to give this matter all of my attention. I can at least hear this guy out" Junko disliked history even though it was a important subject. "I don't even know this guys name come to think of it." As the man jumped from the stage and made his way to the students Junko took a very good look at him. "He seems different."

“Ah, ‘Lelouche’ over there is probably wondering why I’m not just doing my job and getting on with the lecture. The reason is that unlike the sons and daughters of nobility who I normally teach at Lightning National, you shinobi academy students are the ones directly involved in shaping the future of this nation we call home. You are the ones who will make an indelible impact on history! And because you are in this situation, it is especially important that you understand what has come before, why you live the life you currently live, and even what you can do to change things if you wish.”

Junko smiled as he realized the man had been pointing at Haru which was another student that had been in Junkos previous class. Junko listened as the man explained what was the topic for today. As his lecture went on he proposed a few questions and statements.

Haru was the first to speak. Junko took a few mental notes as he listened to Haru. "Seems like hes into this historical stuff. Atleast I know the mans name now." Junko contiuned to observe the conversation as the next person which Junko was unfamiliar with spoke. "Takahashi Ren. Nice name. It seems as if she finds this thing a little of a bore to I see. Junko ears was more attuned to the last girl to speak. "She was in my last class as well. Her purpose is to serve? Thats not a life. It's just being basically used as a tool to do work!" Junko had to ignore his thought and his feelings as he realized it was his turn to speak.

Junko cleared his throat and began to speak. "My name is Tsuyoshi Junko. I have no family other then my brother Tsuyoshi Aiko. As far as I know I have been raised by the people of the Lightning country. I am a orphan with no knowledge of were I came from basically. The circumstances which I come to the academy is simple. I come under no circumstances. I come to learn because knowledge is the key to power. Without any intellect how do you expect to use any abilities you may have. As far as me being chakra attuned and me realizing I'm different."

Junko paused as a smile came across his face as he remembered his training with his sensei Daisuke at Shinbatsu's Path.

"Lets just say I had a wild experience while training."

Kousaki Satoru

Yen
ASP
Deaths
"Hey, Junko-san," Satoru greeted another student back as he joined them. "Who knows...," he started hoping this class wouldn't be long and boring as he put his chin his palms again, leaning forward.

His eyebrows raised a bit as the short man was coming towards the students. He followed him with his eyes and then thought he'd take a different pose and sat up straight. The man wasn't satisfied with the students sitting there in the back and wanted them to move closer. Although with a faintly displeased look, Satoru was ready to do so, but kept listening to the teacher first. It looked like it wasn't going to be a boring lesson with only one talker, but that didn't sound better by much because the man seemed especially interested in what the young shinobi-in-training had to say and soon enough, the man put forward a number of questions aimed at them.

The first one to respond was Haru, who even went a bit into philosophy after answering the man's question. This gave Satoru a bit more time to think up his own introduction. The next one was a very young looking blonde girl, who was a relatively new student at the Academy and then another girl spoke, whom Satoru hadn't noticed her until then. He had seen her before, in a different class, and remembered she was there as the aide of another boy. This time, it looked like she was on her own account and surprisingly, she had a wolf with her. The red-haired girl spoke a bit about herself, revealing some interesting things about her family and personal history. Satoru couldn't possibly understand how it would be to live a life of servitude, like Shimete described her life to be, but he figured, since it ran in the family, she was very used to the idea. He already knew there existed many families with specific traditions and lifestyles, and Shimete's family seemed to him like simply another one of those clans. Then the girl apparently started talking with the wolf beside her, as if the animal itself wanted to talk, but couldn't. "One of those special clans...," Satoru thought, baffled by the girl's last statements.

Following that, the boy next to him, Tsuyoshi Junko, spoke. Satoru recognized that this lecture was already worth the while, as he would get to learn much about some of his fellow students. The trade-off was that he was also supposed to give the same information, and he disliked talking in front of an audience, but it helped him that his personal history wasn't much. He made a checklist of the questions he was supposed to answer in his mind, stood up, putting his hands behind his back and started as well.

"My name is Kousaki Satoru, I'm twelve and I joined the Academy four years ago when my family moved to Kumogakure no Sato to sign me up," he looked in the general direction of the teacher but avoided eye contact. "I'm probably the first in my family to attempt to become a shinobi. I grew up in Port Cirrus before moving here...," he slowed down a bit and then paused, forgetting what to say next for a few moments. "M-my father isn't from Kaminari no Kuni, his family moved here the past generation and.. he realized I had shinobi potential and decided to enlist me at the Academy here."

The boy felt he said everything he had to say, so he sat back down. He was feeling like he'd started to get better at speaking in public like that, especially there were certainly more people in the room than the last time he had to talk like that.

Takaki Saeko

Yen
ASP
Deaths
As he listened to the responses from the students who had spoken up, Masao (the fatter, slower version thereof) nodded sagely as he tallied up the different types of responses. One of them, Haru by name, definitely seemed to be forming his own ideas about the ways of the world, and would bear further study later.

“You bring up a lot of good points, Santaru Haru-kun, especially about the exchange of liberty for security. I’ll cover more of these points later in the lecture, though, so keep paying attention,” he said to the unexpectedly philosophical boy. So far, most of the students had provided a short history of their origins, and the others were either too shy to speak up or remained silent for their own reasons.

“Thank you to those who responded. As you can see from even this small sampling of the senior academy class, there is a wide amount of variation in where you students come from and how you came to be in this precarious position. We have a scion of the founding clan of the village, a daughter of civilian workers in the village, a member of an ancient servant caste, and a pair of orphans who grew up outside of Kumogakure entirely.

“It is no accident that you all come from such varying backgrounds, and that despite many obstacles to your entry here, you made it anyway. Your presence here is a product of random chance as well as complex and deliberate design. The random chance aspect comes from the fact that the ability to wield chakra, although seemingly natural to those who spent their childhoods in this village, is actually vanishingly rare. Less than one in one hundred thousand children born in this country possess the genetic mutations required to generate an excess amount of biochemical energy that is traditionally called ‘chakra’. Keep in mind that all living beings generate ‘chakra’ – if they didn’t they’d be dead – but that it is your capability to generate a surplus of it that differentiates shinobi from non-shinobi. Even in shinobi clans like the Santaru or the Chigokai or the Inuzuka, who have spent centuries on selective breeding programs to ensure the highest probability of inheritance of chakra potential, there are still a fair number of children born who do not have the ability. Fairly or unfairly, those same children often perish here at the academy, or are artificially turned into chakra producers via forced mutation.

“The deliberate design aspect comes into play when you all end up at the shinobi academy. Have you ever noticed that besides the obvious cases of missing nin running amok, that there are NO ‘civilian shinobi’ who live outside of Kumogakure or work for institutions outside of Kumogakure? Every shinobi in this nation is beholden to the Raikage and his representatives. If you are not, then you are in trouble, and probably being hunted down by the ANBU or other agents of the village. This is because the role of this village is to act as a containment vessel for everyone with the power to generate excess chakra. In essence, the village is both a factory as well as a prison, and the only escape is either to attempt to break loose as a rogue, or perish.

“The Academy itself is therefore one of the most important parts of the village. The bakufuu, or military government of Lightning County, expends a great deal of money on making sure that anyone with the power to generate excess chakra is immediately sent here for training, as well as for containment. There is simply no room for what a common person might call a ‘bush mage’. So in the end, despite the vast differences in your origins, you ended up here as students because of forces far more powerful than yourselves,” he said, sipping from his flask again. Talking for extended periods of time made his mouth feel cottony, that was for sure.

“Most of you are about to become genin, the lowest rank of what is considered a true shinobi. And you will soon find that no matter what branch you work for, most of your tasks will be to fulfill the terms of some type of contract from outside the village, and that most of those contracts are actually work orders from the bakufuu itself.

“The bakufuu, headed by the Shogun of Lightning, is the governing body of Lightning Country, and the institution that all of us, from illiterate peasant to the highest rank of nobility, are expected to obey, at least in appearance. At the top is the Shogun, of course, and he is the absolute ruler of this country, with certain caveats which I will get into later. Immediately under the Shogun is typically the Chancellor, who is a combination of the Shogun’s closest advisor as well as his primary representative to the rest of the government. Under the Chancellor is a collection of ten other Daimyo, who together are called the ‘Council of Eleven Moons’ and are responsible for carrying out the Shogun’s wishes through the actions of their subordinates, who are primarily lower-ranked nobles who comprise the main body of central government, the ‘Council of Nobles’.

“Nobility are typically all land-owners who have direct ownership over the hundreds of provinces and territories that comprise our nation. They inherit their titles and ownership rights on a hereditary basis, and are expected to manage their own lands and the workers who live under their rule. They are in theory supposed to obey the dictates of the Shogun and the Council of Eleven Moons, but there is little to be actually done if they choose not to. It is virtually unheard of for the Shogun to order a direct military action against a recalcitrant noble, and if a group of them band together in opposition to an order from above, then this can create massive political instability. What usually keeps them in line are both the ambitions of their neighbors – disobeying the Shogun is an invitation for nearby nobles to attempt to take their lands by force under pretext of punishing insubordination – as well as the covert actions of shinobi such as yourselves.

“Now remember, I said it is unheard of for the Shogun to order direct military action against a noble, so why is he using shinobi? The answer is that shinobi are not actually part of the regular military of Lightning Country, like the Imperial Army and Imperial Navy. Rather, you are considered to be an irregular force, and not subject to the usual chain of command one might expect. You are not obligated to take orders from say, an Imperial Army officer. On the other hand, if that officer attempts to kill you in return, he is in no danger of reprimand. Therefore, shinobi rarely go on missions alongside recognized military forces. You will either act independently in support of the Army or Navy, or sometimes even in seeming opposition to them. Essentially, shinobi are a force that everyone can wipe their hands of and avoid responsibility for when something goes wrong and people die. And the truth is that shinobi can and do die on missions. Not just against other shinobi, but also against non-shinobi as well. Chakra is not by itself protection against a bolter or a sword or spear. Even if a shinobi can destroy an entire army in theory, that doesn’t mean he or she will be able to do any of that in practice.

“Interestingly enough, the Raikage is actually a member of the Council of Eleven Moons, and carries the noble rank of Daimyo in the bakufuu government hierarchy. His personal land-holding is essentially Kumogakure. It is the only non-hereditary position on that Council. It also means that the Raikage is not the most powerful man in the land, politically, but that the Shogun is. If the Shogun wished for undue concessions from Kumogakure, he would need but order it, and even Hayata Shin would have to comply.

“So thus, the question I have for all of you is this: There is enough military power in Kumogakure to overwhelm the entire Imperial Army and Navy at once, and if he wanted to, Hayata Shin could declare himself Shogun. So why doesn’t this happen? Why might this situation exist where a clearly superior military force must pay heed to a much weaker one, relatively?”

Ren

Yen
ASP
Deaths
“The only escape is either to attempt to break loose as a rogue, or perish.”

Haru made a mental note to bring this topic back up to the man later, whether it be during the discussion or some time after.

“So thus, the question I have for all of you is this: There is enough military power in Kumogakure to overwhelm the entire Imperial Army and Navy at once, and if he wanted to, Hayata Shin could declare himself Shogun. So why doesn’t this happen? Why might this situation exist where a clearly superior military force must pay heed to a much weaker one, relatively?”

I don’t believe it should exist, don’t take me for a fool, I in turn won’t be taking the Raikage for a fool, he is most likely, completely aware of our superiority militarily. I personally think though, that there are zero reasons why Hayata Shin shouldn’t declare himself the Shogun. If I were in his shoes I would be known as Shogun. I intend to change everything one day. Whether, like you said, I must escape from this prison Kumogakure and declare myself missing nin, taking followers - others that share my view point and becoming our own nation capable of taking the Shogun down, or by becoming Raikage or influencing him to take down the Shogun. These are my political views sir. But please enlighten me answer your own question.

Haru paused for a moment then subtly issued a challenge to the man. prove me wrong, I dare you. <i></i>

Ryu Hime

Yen
ASP
Deaths
OOC Rank
S-Rank
Shimete was not big on politics and was going to stay quiet, but when Haru answers the question, she could not sit there and stay silent. She did not agree with Haru at all, but that is simply due to her narture. She is a servant of a noble clan and as a servant there is only one answer she can come up with. “Loyalty. Shin might have more men than the Shogun and the ability to take from him, but he has sworn loyalty to the shogun. To do such a thing would bring dishonor to our nation. Even if we destroyed the Shogun’s army and navy, Shin too will take heavy casualties. With such a civil war we will become weak against other nations. We will have no allies for who will stand with nation with such dishonor.” These are the reasons the Nigiri do not over throw the clan they serve. They may out number their masters, but price of freedom is too damn high.

Yen
ASP
Deaths
{Sorry, my internet went down yesterday and I was unable to get online to post.}

Jo sat quietly and listened to the lecture, choosing to stay quiet rather than speak up when the lecturer asked for introductions. He assumed the information he shared wouldn’t affect the lecture in a meaningful way, and it seemed he was right. Aside from acknowledging the students varied backgrounds, the rest of the lecture seemed rehearsed. While the content of the lecture was common knowledge, the questions that were raised near the end were interesting indeed. Why not create a shinobi dictatorship and rule the country with an iron fist? One young man vowed that he’d change the world and establish a shinobi dominated Lightning Country, while another student, a young girl, seemed to worry about honor. Although her comments about a civil war making Lightning an easy target for other countries was a valid point. Jo had another thought though…

”Rebellion…” He waited a moment before continuing. ”Violently overturning the form of government our country has followed for ages without provocation would cause social unrest and rebellion among the commoners. We could put down any rebellion with superior military might, but then what? Who will grow the crops and work in the factories if we’ve killed all the civilians? Logistically, it’s a bad idea. The giant target on our back for the other countries due to our weakened state after a civil war notwithstanding.” And with that, he sat back in his seat and returned to silence.

Takahashi Ren

Yen
ASP
Deaths
Artificially turned into chakra producers via...forced mutation? That's a thing? Ren titled her head to the side as Takagi continued with his lecture, filing that piece of information for later. Most of what he talked about she vaguely knew, from pieces of conversations and hearsay. He wrapped up with another question, and Ren listened quietly as some of her peers answered. Haru's speech left a funny taste in her mouth, if only because she'd never thought about going rogue (what about food? Did bush mages eat bushes? And also - was it really okay to be making such declarations in front of such a large audience?), and the others were more or less normal enough.

Which left Ren thinking about her own answer. Sure, if the Raikage controlled the strongest military power in the country, then logic said that he should be the strongest overall leader in that country. But - the thing about the country being split into parts, kind of, reminded Ren about parents. There was a reason most kids had two, right? Two parents (in theory, since there were kids with whole families who just turned out odd) had an easier time rearing a kid. If the Raikage, who raised ninja babies, tried assuming power over the civilian section, then...the whole thing would blow up in his face. But if he left that to the Shogun, as he currently did, then the Raikage could technically do whatever he wanted behind the scenes without having to deal with the messiness of maintaining two distinct populations.

"Why would he want to?" Ren asked, looking at Takagi curiously. "I mean," she went on, "if the village is the strongest military power, then the Raikage has de facto control already, doesn't he? The Shogun can't really go against him and so wouldn't ask something of the Raikage unless it was written in their contract...thing." She trailed off, suddenly remembering that at eleven she was hardly qualified to be making such assumptions. At least running her mouth off was Ren's forte, so she continued, "So I guess my point is...the Raikage knows he has de facto control, and can focus his attentions on running the village while the Shogun takes care of everything else. If he wanted something from the Shogun, I don't see why he wouldn't get it." Ren shrugged. "It looks like leaving things the way they are is a win-win for the Raikage. He gets most of the power with less of the work, while the Shogun does most of the bureaucratic heavy-lifting."

She tapped her fingers against her cheek, wondering who would say what next. And then Ren realized, with a well-hidden twitch, that she hadn't gotten up while speaking. Well. Hopefully that was okay. She really couldn't do formal for long, it was too...stifling.

Kousaki Satoru

Yen
ASP
Deaths
With each new idea brought up by the man talking to the students, Satoru learned one or two new things, like how rare children able to wield chakra had become, how some clans have had selective breeding programs for a higher chance of inheritance of certain traits and that some students were made subjects to "forced mutation" to artificially turn them into chakra producers (something Satoru had only heard rumors of). The idea of the village being a factory as well as a prison for shinobi didn't appeal to the young boy at all. He thought of the village as training shinobi for its own military potential and therefore also its own protection, and chakra-using individuals were especially capable of everything that meant being a shinobi of the village. He knew how harsh the training regimes were at the Academy, but Satoru only ever thought of them as strong incenses for personal growth. He also knew that he wasn't allowed outside the village - at least not yet - but he never felt once felt "contained"; he recognized how much the village valued its shinobi. Perhaps the boy was simply thinking about the same concepts, but he definitely saw them in a different light than the squat man in front of him.

The lecturer continued to talk, going into the subjects of politics, the nobles' hierarchy and the independence that the shinobi military force had from the country's Imperial Army, all of which Satoru was partially familiar with, but only then did he hear someone talk about them like that, which helped clarify a number of aspects.

Next came another question: "There is enough military power in Kumogakure to overwhelm the entire Imperial Army and Navy at once, and if he wanted to, Hayata Shin could declare himself Shogun. So why doesn’t this happen? Why might this situation exist where a clearly superior military force must pay heed to a much weaker one, relatively?"

The first one to reply was once again Santaru Haru, who had his own strong political views. Besides the fact that he didn't seem to have an issue with calling the village a prison, he flat out said that if he could, he would try to become Shogun himself, and that, in his opinion, that's what the Raikage should do. "Really? And how will you govern the whole country?," Satoru asked in his mind immediately. That was the first idea that came to his mind after Takagi Masao asked the question. He thought one of the reasons shinobi would never take over the country would be because they probably wouldn't be able to rule the whole land, for varying reasons, not all of which the student was aware of. He thought one of them might be because Kaminari no Kuni's people were so used to the existence of nobility and it being a hereditary attribute, that a lot, especially the land owners, wouldn't agree with being ruled by the Raikage. "Besides... why would the Raikage want to become Shogun anyway...?" He didn't have time to formulate all his ideas into words and he was content to listen to the next few students who spoke. Haru's words were bound to cause responses, after all.

Nigiri Shimete was the one who reacted next. She brought up not only the aspect of the Raikage's sworn loyalty to the Shogun, but also the important point of the inevitable civil war that would ensue, with which Satoru, and it seemed also another boy sitting in the back corner seat, agreed.

Satoru felt like speaking himself, if only prove that he wasn't there just for the class credits, but before he could resolve to stand up, he heard the voice of the young blond girl who introduced herself earlier again. She basically raised the same primary point that Satoru was going to make. "Why would he want to?" she asked, and then proceeded to tell her interpretation of the situation. Satoru felt his was the best moment to speak himself.

"I.. agree," he said, standing up silently, shortly after the girl finished. "I don't see why the Raikage would want to declare himself Shogun. And if he did, it would probably be hard for him to rule the whole country, right? I mean, being the Shogun must mean a lot of work... and also, the people probably wouldn't agree with such a sudden change of ruler." He paused for a second before continuing. "Besides, like Takahashi-san said, the Raikage.. and shinobi, are already in a pretty comfortable position, it seems. Their place in the country is... pretty unique." He took a quick glance at Takahashi Ren while speaking, but also moved his eyes to the others a bit, discreetly using the opportunity of standing up to get a better look at the people around him. He then set his view in the teacher's direction again before finishing his idea and then sat back down, in the same manner that he'd stood up. He felt a bit unsure about his answer. There were many aspects to such a question and he was only a twelve-year old after all. Still, he managed to give his best response. Their age was exactly the reason the man had asked that question and it must have been very interesting for anyone listening to the students.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Current Ninpocho Chronicles Time:

Back